Putnam County History
Square Miles: 232
Putnam County is a county located in
the U.S. state of New York, in the lower Hudson River Valley. Putnam
County formed in 1812, when it detached from Dutchess County. The county seat is the hamlet of
Carmel. Putnam county was named in honor of Israel Putnam, a hero in the
French and Indian War and a general in the American Revolutionary War.
settlement was in 1609, a Native American people called the Wappinger, whoinhabited the east bank of the Hudson River. They farmed, hunted, and fished throughout their range, often encountering Dutch traders, from whom they obtained goods such as alcohol and firearms. Putnam was slow to be settled compared to other parts of the Hudson Valley because it was privately owned and settlement
was limited to tenent farmers willing to pay a portion of their earnings to the owner Adolphus Phillipse. Also, it was mostly hilly and rocky and unattractive to farmers looking for tillable cropland, and therefore was limited to dairy farming and wood cutting. The first non-tenent settlers in the county were along its eastern edge, due to an ambiguous border with Connecticut, which attracted farmers from New England, who presumed that the disputed area was not owned by Phillipse. During the Revolution, the Philipses
stayed loyal to the Crown and were stripped of their lands. The Philipse Patent was sold
along with the rest of their holdings
An early settler was the Hayt family, which built a farm called
The Elm in 1720. Jacob Haviland settled in the Oblong in 1731 in what became known as
Haviland Hollow. The first village in the county was Fredericksburg, now the hamlet of
County Office Building
Carmel, NY 10512-1798
There are six towns and three incorporated villages in Putnam County
The town of Carmel includes the hamlets of Carmel, Carmel Hills, Field Corners, Hopkins
Corners, Mahopac, Mahopac Falls, Secor Corners, Tilly Foster, and West Mahopac.
Kent contains the hamlets of Lake Carmel, Kent Corners, Kent Hills, and Luddingtonville.
Patterson contains the hamlets of Patterson, Barnum Corners, Camp Brady, Fields Corners,
Haines Corners, Haviland Hollow, Putnam Lake, Steinbeck Corners, Towners, and West
Philipstown contains the villages and hamlets of Cold Spring, Forsonville, Garrison,
Garrison Four Corners, Glenclyffe, Manitou, McKeel Corners, Nelsonville, North Highland,
Storm King, and the north side of Continental Village.
Southeast contains the village of Brewster, and the hamlets of Brewster Heights,
Deans Corners, Deforest Corners, Drewville Heights, Dykemans, Milltown, Sears Corners,
Putnam Valley contains the hamlets of Adams Corners, Christian Corners, Gilbert Corners,
Lake Peekskill, Oscawana Corners, Putnam Valley, Tompkins Corners, Sunnybrook.
Brewster is an incorporated village within the Town of Southeast.