Schenectady County, New York

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Local People

Isaac Banker

- Some five months since Edwin Wemple, an engineer on the Central Railroad, married the daughter of Isaac Banker, of Schenectady. Soon after being married they went to housekeeping, and lived in a house near the residence of her father. Her husband being on the road last night, and she having for some time past lived in fear and dread of burglars, concluded to lodge in her father's house during her husband's absence from that place. Accordingly she lodged in her father's house last night, in accordance with her preconceived determination. At an early hour this morning Mr. Banker arose, and after doing some little work about the house rapped at the room door of his daughter, and upon receiving no answer opened it. He found the clothing which she wore the night before on a chair, but she was missing. Search was then instituted about this house, but she was not to be found. He then went to her house, and finding it closed burst open the door. Search was here made and no clue to her whereabouts found, but upon going to the well he found the cover off and the ice broken. She was found drowned in her night clothes and a shawl drawn over her head. This sad and mysterious occurrence has cast a gloom over a large circle of their relatives and friends in Schenectady and along the line of the railroad. - Albany Journal, Jan. 18.
[Source: The New York Herald (NY) Jan. 22, 1859, submitted by Mary Kay Krogman]

David Campbell

In the Albany Journal of last Monday is inserted a paragraph announcing my being married at Saratoga on the 27th ult. to Miss Elizabeth Clinch.

This publication, induces me to publish the following state of acts, in order to show the extraordinary and undue means made use of to accomplish that pretended marriage.

The latter end of last October, in the evening, one of my Father's servants being at the door, was requested by a young gentleman to inform me that Mr. John Cuyler wanted to see me at the house of Mrs. Clinch, tavernkeeper; soon after, I accordingly went, but instead of finding Mr. Cuyler there, as I expected, I saw Mr. James Vernor, who requested me to walk into a private room, as he wanted to speak to me; when there, he told me, that his business was relative to his niece, Miss Clinch; whereupon her brother, Benjamin Clinch, entered the room armed, presented a pistol to my breast, and swore that I should marry his sister before I left the room. In this situation (with great reluctance) a promise of marriage was extorted from me; but which promise, however, as I was not of age, I made on condition that my parents would consent, and which I was more readily induced to make, as I knew my parents would by no means consent; on this I was suffered to retire, and went home.

About one month, or more afterwards, my father received a note from Mr. Vernor, in the following words, 'Mr. Vernor would wish to see Mr. Campbell at Mr. Mostons for a few moments.' My father accordingly went.-Mr. Vernor wanted him to consent that I should marry his niece; on my father's refusal (altho' an aged man, defenceless and unarmed) Mr. Vernor gave him the most odious, abusive and scurrilous language, beat and wounded him with a loaded whip, and caused the blood to gush out of his head. During this scene, Mess. Benjamin Clinch, Thomas Clinch and John Henry, were not far off, and came up before it was over, some of them aiding and others countenancing it. For this inhuman assault and battery, the Grand Jury found bills of indictment, at the next general session of the peace.

In the afternoon of the 28th of January instant, (near two months after the insult and abuse offered to my father) as Mr. M'Kinney, and I were riding out in my father's sleigh, near four miles from town, on the public road to Albany, we discovered tow sleights in which, among several others, were Benjamin Clinch, John Henry and John Jones. Said Clinch, armed with a pair of pistols in his belt, called be a rascal and a scoundrel, and seized the reins of my horses. After some conversation, I said that I would give him satisfaction, and accordingly jumped out of the sleigh, declaring with an oath, that I would not marry his sister: Henry came up and declared, that they were justifiable to take every advantage, whereupon he, Clinch, and Jones feined me, and by force dragged and kept me in their sleigh, and rode off. When they had proceeded with me about one or two hundred yards, I threw myself out of the sleigh, in order to make my escape, calling for help; but I was dragged along, and again forced into their sleigh by Clinch and Henry. They soon left the main road, and took a road through the woods, and rode in the night through the city of Albany, keeping my mouth shut, lest I should make a noise, or alarm for assistance. I was also part of the time laid on my back on the bottom of the sleigh; and held down in that situation, they went through New-City, and then proceeded to Balltown, at Clinch's, where his sister then was. There we arrived after midnight-I was closely watched and not suffered to go or be alone, lest I might escape. Before day a person came in, whom they called a minister, and who without any license or publication, performed the marriage ceremony. I dared not to object, being apprehensive of the consequences if I did, and persuaded at the same time, that a marriage under such circumstances, would not be valid.

Thus was I conducted in the night time partly through woods and by-roads, in different and sometimes contrary directions, near 40 miles to Ballstown, a place not above half that distance from the place where I was seized and taken off on the public road.

The next morning, instead of being suffered to return home, which I requested, they conducted Miss Clinch and me to Saratoga, to the house of Mr. Vernor, where I was told that the marriage being unlawful, I must be again married;-we were accordingly re-married by another minister, and against which I knew it would be vain and dangerous for me to have objected. The next day I returned home to my parents at Schenectady.

As the publication of this marriage in a public news-paper, may tend to create an idea that it was lawful and voluntary, I am induced through the same channel of information, to contradict it, and to prevent any person from trusting or crediting Miss Elizabeth Clinch on my account, in consequence of a marriage which I publicly disavaow.
Schenectady, 4th February, 1789.
[Source: New-York Packet (New York, NY) Friday, February 27, 1789.]

Halsted Close
HALSTED CLOSE is a farmer and speculator known widely here and in the City of Schenectady. He was born in Clifton Park, Saratoga County. For five generations past the Close family have been prominent in the social and business interests of that town. Mr. Close was born in the year 1817. His father's name was Benjamin Close and his mother's maiden name was Sarah Morehouse. He came to Schenectady County in 1861, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. He established the present business of Stearns & Co., and sold to them in 1868. He opened the present business of Losee B. Close in State street-a flour and feed store, with a steam power for grinding. In this business he was financially successful. He married Phebe, daughter of Abram G. Losee, of Clifton Park. They have had four children: Mary E., deceased, who married Abram Vedder, of Glenville, and after her death Mr. Vedder married Mr. Close's second daughter, Samantha; Losee B. Close, grain merchant in State street; and Smith Close, Schenectady. Besides city property he owns farms in Rotterdam and in Saratoga County. Mr. Close's farm, where he lives, is in South Schenectady, and he is now taking an active part in developing a village at this point He has founded a large hay barn beside the track of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad for buying and transportation, and he also has a coal-yard at the same place.
[Source: History of the county of Schenectady, N. Y., from 1662 to 1886, George Rogers Howell, John H. Munsell, 1886.]

Miss C. Davis
Miss C. Davis graduated from the high school last week and has selected Howard University for her education. Miss Davis was credited as being one of the best students in her class.
[Source: The New York Age (NY) July 8, 1915]

John L. Eaton
"Lt. John L. Eaton, U. S. N." - During the last summer the press took some notice of a scoundrel calling himself "Lt. John L. Eaton, U. S> N." who married a young woman in Schenectady county, brought her to Albany and very soon afterwards deserted her. This appears, was early last spring he made his appearance in St. Louis, and assumed the very romantic name of Francis Rivers. He carried a high head and passed himself off as a gentleman of fortune and leisure. He wormed himself into respectable society, and very soon secured the confidence of an amiable family, and the affections of their eldest daughter. In due time they were married, and took up their residence in Peoria, Illinois. Before the expiration of three months, he deserted his wife, carrying off her jewelry and several hundred dollars, borrowed from the friends of her family. With this money, he came on to Albany, and assumed the name of John L. Eaton, which is his real name, without the "U. S. N." It seems that he is an illegitimate, born in Schenectady county, where his mother now resides, but whom he had not visited before in several years.

It was while on this visit that his smart address secured him kindly attentions in the neighborhood, and the affections of an amiable and artless girl. He induced her to elope with him and they were married hare, as stated at the time. He lived with her but a few days before he decamped - his exit, now it seems, has been hastened by the unexpected appearance of two gentlemen who knew him at St. Louis.

Since these facts have been developed, a third wife is reported to have been discovered - a young lady in Cincinnati, whom he had married and abandoned before going to St. Louis. This however, is a mere rumor, which many not be well founded. But there is no doubt about his St. Louis victim.

The scoundrel is yet at large, probably prosecuting his villanies elsewhere, under some new alias. It is to be hoped that he may be speedily arrested, and punished as his infamy deserves. - [Evening Journal.
[Source: Burlington Hawk-Eye (Burlington, Iowa) December 27, 1849] mkk

Amy Ellis
The parents of Amy Ellis, 15, requested the assistance of the police in correcting their somewhat incorrigible daugher last night, and Plainclothesmen Stone and Bencivenga visited the house at 41 Fuller street where it was reported that she was stopping with a girl friend. They found the girl, her friend, and three men and invited them up to headquarters for a chat. In consequence of which Roy Fowler, 17, a laborer, Frank J. Aubrey, 21, also a laborer, and Ernest Waters, 22, a lathe hand were retained to appear before the judge at 9 o'clock this morning on a serious charge. Amy and her girl friend, who is a sister of Aubrey were allowed to go, after they had been closely questioned and advised as to further conduct, it it is thought that other arrests will follow as the result of their disclosures.

All three of the men, as well as the girls seemed to be but little annoyed by the affair although Waters protested the inconvenience of being held as he had an important engagement on saturday. The men, especially Waters, had some money on their persons.
[Source: Schenectady Gazette (NY) Jan. 2, 1920]

John F. Engle

Cr-r-r-r-ash! John F. Engle, 22, a machinist, thought it was the new year coming in, but it wasn't. It was his head going through a $150 plate glass window in the Vogue specialty shop, at 467 State street, about 7 o'clock last night. However, John didn't care, and when Patrolman Tooley came along and invited him down to headquarters for alleged violation of article 1433, penal law, he thought the party looked complete with a uniform along and he was so happy! Alleged violations didn't bother him a bit - he liked them.

He was held for action before the judge this morning, and he will face not only the judge but a bill for a broken window at some $150 a break, and then the cost of his cargo of 2.75, and a sore head, and - oh, well, John says the new years is started, anyway.
[Source: The Schenectady Gazette (NY) Jan. 2, 1920]

Petrus Groot
On thursday the 4th instant, about four miles from the city of Schenectady, aside of the Mohawk turnpike, sitting under a tree, I discovered Petrus Groot, who was supposed to have been slain in the Oriskena battle, under General Herkimer, on the 6th of August, in the year 1777. - I immediately recognized him, and on conversing with him he confessed himself to be the person I took him to be. I then carried him to the nearest tavern, where I left him to be sent to his children and brothers; from whence, he departed before day the next morning, and was seen in Albany on Friday. His mental faculties are much impaired, supposed to have been occasioned by a wound of a tomahawk near the forepart of his head, though he is at most time tolerably rational. His head is bald, - the circle or scar of the scalping knife is plainly to be seen on it, and a stab on the side of his neck near the shoulder, has a small scar near his ankle. - Is a middle sized man, has blue eyes, a long countenance, and stoops much in the shoulder. - He speaks English, French, Dutch, and Indian; and says he has been last a prisoner among the Indians north of Quebec. - Had on an old dark grey coat and old brownish pantaloons. - Has a large pack with him. He refused to go home, as one of his former neighbors would not recognize him, he was fearful his children and brothers would not. As said he would go to the Governor's. - Being at times deranged, it is feared he will stray too far away for his friends to find him. He is of a very respectable family and connexions. Any person who will take him up and bring him to the subscriber in Schenectady, shall be well compensated for his care and trouble, and will receive the sincere thanks of his children and relatives, and be the means of relieving this poor unfortunate man, from his distress, by restoring him to his family and friends.
Schenectady, 8th June, 1807.
[Source: Hartford Courant (CT) June 24, 1807]

Joseph Johnson
At the supreme court lately held for the state of New-York, at the City-Hall of the city of Albany, . . .
At the same court one Joseph Johnson, of Schenectady, merchant, was indicted of a misdemeanor, for having in March last offered for sale to Mr. Thomas Sickles, of Albany, merchant, two forged or altered certificates of the United States national debt, subscribed by John Pierce.
[Source: The Pennsylvania Packet (Philadelphia, PA) August 17, 1785.]

Charles B. Potter

NEW YORK, May 23d.-Charles B. Potter of Schenectady, recently married. His father subsequently died, leaving him $2,000,000 if he will separate from his wife. Charles refused and the will is now under consideration by the Court, witnesses declaring the old man insane.
[Source: Sacramento Daily Record-Union (Sacramento, CA) May 24, 1884.]

Mary Shore Walker

First Member of Family Entered University in 1900.

What might be termed the long distance scholarship record or the 17-year student grind would probably be awarded to the Walker family of Columbia, who have had members in the University of Missouri for seventeen consecutive years. The first Walkers to enter the University were Miss Mary Shore Walker and Charles J. Walker. Both entered the University in 1900. Miss Walker received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1903 and took a master's degree in 1904. Charles received an A. B. the same year and then spent two years in the school of Law.

Ben S. Walker entered the University in 1901 and stayed until 1904. He re-entered in 1904 and was graduated in 1906 with the degrees of B. S. in Ed. And C. E. in Eng. Lee Walker was a student in the University from 1906 to 1912, receiving an A. B. in 1901 and the degree of LL. B. in 1912.

Robert Walker, who was graduated from the School of Engineering last with the degree of E. E. in Eng. He received a B. S. in Eng. In '16. He is now at Fort Ripley with the Officers' Reserve Corps. He is the last of the family to enter the University.

Ben Walker is also in the United States service at Fort Benjamin Harrison, in Indianapolis, Ind. Mary Shore Walker is married and living in Schenectady, N. Y. Charles is in the mining business in St. Louis and Lee is a lawyer in Columbia.
[Source: The Daily Missourian (Columbia, MO) July 30, 1917.]

Articles transcribed and submitted by Mary Kay Krogman unless otherwise indicated.

Schenectady County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails