Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Schoharie County
New York
Genealogy and History


Source: "Military records of Schoharie County veterans of four wars"
by George H. Warner
Albany, N.Y. :: Weed, Parsons and Co., 1891
Transcribed by K. Torp


During the Revolution an enrollment of Militia was made at several different times, and where a detachment or detail was made up for special service, a special company roll was no doubt kept. When the members of the Cobleskill company were obliged to make their head-quarters at Schoharie they were again enrolled under Captain Stubrach in the First Company. Many members of the First and Third Companies were enrolled alternately under the two captains. In making up the roster of State troops for the archives of the Revolution, the editor evidently had the different muster-rolls to compile from, and put down every name he found regardless of evident repetition, or like the Irishman at Donny-brook fair, hit a head when he saw it.
In the roster of Schoharie Militia he has multiplied, in this way, the actual number by two or more. I have endeavored by careful investigation to muster each man but once, and in his proper company, and credit him with service in other companies, if he evidently served elsewhere. The service of many of these men extended no farther than a compliance with the regulations existing, serving as sentinels or as messengers, a fact which may be referred to when there is no special mention of service. The descendants of many have passed beyond discovery, while those of others are unable to give their generation, and the name of their Revolutionary ancestor.
The date of death of many cannot be found, no record being kept, and no epitaph, set up.


Pieter-Peter Vroman, Colonel,
born in 1736, commissioned captain under the Crown and served against the French on the frontier. Before the Revolution he was made major of Militia, but when war was declared, he espoused the cause of the Colonies and was commissioned colonel of Militia by the Provincial Congress of New York, from date of October 20, 1775, remaining in command of the Militia from the beginning to the close of the war, except when reinforcements were sent to the valley, and when the immediate command of the troops was transferred to the visiting commandant by reason of courtesy, or seniority of rank. During Johnson's invasion he took part in the defense of the Middle Fort by issuing the ammunition himself, that the men might not know the scantiness of the supply, and encouraging them to make every shot count. On this occasion he rebuked Major Woolsey for cowardice, and assumed the command himself. In addition to his military service, he held the office of Secretary for the Committee of Safety, served as delegate to the General Committee, and filled other important positions of trust. Died December 29, 1793, leaving but one child, a daughter. Greatgrandchildren, Wm. Dietz, Nancy Merrill, Louisa Boughton, Kate Brown, Mrs. Harry Hull and Mrs. John Mann. Great-great-grandson, Henry Cady.

Pieter - Peter U. Zielie; Lieutenant-Colonel,
resided near the Middle Fort. Was appointed lieutenant-colonel, October 20, 1775, and re-appointed February 20, 1778. He accompanied the troops in the attack on McDonald and Chrysler, and assisted in the defense of the Middle Fort at the time of Johnson's invasion. He was also a member of the Committee of Safety. Died February 26, 1798, aged 51 years, leaving two daughters.

Thomas Eckerson, Jr., First Major,
resided at Middleburgh; received his appointment, October 20,1775; re-appointed to same rank, February 20, 1778, and continued in same grade until the close of the war. Served with the forces from the Middle Fort. Date of death not positively known; supposed to be January 12,1806.

Joost-Joseph Becker, Second Major,
resided east of the Lower Fort and one mile west of Gallupville. He was one of four brothers in the Militia service. Was commissioned October 20, 1775, and re-appointed February 20, 1778. During Johnson's invasion, he commanded the forces at the Lower Fort, and conducted the defense with such spirit as to cause Johnson to "pass by on the other side." On July 26, 1782, an attempt to capture him at his home, was made by a party of Indians under Chrysler. Assisted by his wife, George Shell, and John Hutt, he defended his home with such obstinacy and loss to the enemy, that they were obliged to return to Canada without the major, whom they had come so far to capture. Died August 21, 1806, aged 68. Great-grandson, Rufus Posson.

Lorrens -Lawrence Schoolcraft-Schulecraft, Sr., Adjutant,
resided at Schoharie. Appointed adjutant, October 20, 1775, and reappointed February 20, 1778. He contributed to the erection of the Lower Fort.

Pieter - Peter Ball, Q. M.,
- resided at Schoharie. Appointed quarter-master, February 20,1778. In addition to regimental duties he superintended the transportation of the surplus wheat raised in the valley to the Continental supply stations at Albany, and posts farther north. Died June 19, 1838, aged 85. Grandsons,George, Barnabas. Great-grandson, Frederick.


Christian Stubrach, Captain,
resided at Knieskerns Dorfor Central Bridge. Was appointed first lieutenant, October 20, 1775. Promoted to captain, February 20, 1778. He was quite wealthy, for the times, and a man of courage. Tradition claims for him second cousinship to a king of Holland. At the time of Johnson's invasion he was with his company at the Lower Fort and superintended the firing of the small field gun which Johnson styled the "Grasshopper." Although the father of ten children, there are no survivors to perpetuate the name. He died between the years 1783 and 1790, or soon after the passage of the act pensioning soldiers of the Revolution. Grandchildren, Sables Davis, Mrs. George Becker, Mrs. Isaac Schoolcraft, Mrs. Oliver Briggs.

Second Lieutenant John Dominick - Dominique,
was born on the Isle De Rae, France, in the year 1740, emigrated to America in 1765, commissioned second lieutenant, October 20, 1775, and assigned to duty at the Lower Fort. Died in 1824, aged 84. Great grandchildren, Weidman, Isaac J. Barber, Mrs. John Hunting, and Mrs. Hiram Walden. A great-great-grandson, Isaac B. Walden, died in the service in the war for the Union.

Jacob Snyder, Ensign,
was promoted to first lieutenant, February 20, 1778. Served under Captains Brown and Miller. Served at the Middle Fort during Johnson's raid. Married the widow of Philip Schuyler. Died 1786. Grandson, Philip Snyder.

Johannes - John Dietz, Lieutenant,
promoted to second lieutenant, February 20, 1778. Did service under Captain Brown. Served at Lower Fort against Johnson. Killed by Indians in 1782.

Jacob W. Enders-Entis, Ensign,
appointed ensign, February 2, 1778, but declined the commission. He did good service as scout and ranger; was one of the party who followed Johnson from the valley. After Johnson had passed the Lower Fort, Enders went gunning for an Indian who had a pack and a goose. The Indian lost his baggage, Enders lost the Indian, while a comrade got the plunder and refused to divide. He was a prominent Patriot, and an effort was made by the enemy to capture him during the latter part of the war. He never married. Near the close of his life he became partially paralytic, and was familiarly known as "Trembling Jacob." He died by accidental drowning while attempting to drink from the Schoharie creek near Breakabeen, April 4, 1848, aged 91.

Johannes-John Enders, Corporal - Entis,
promoted to ensign, October 30, 1778, in place of Jacob Enders, declined. Did service under Captains Brown and Miller.

Davit-David Lawyer, Corporal,
promoted from private to corporal and to ensign. Grandson, J. B. Lawyer, Washington, D. C. Great-grandchildren, Frederick C, Anna I

Henrich - Henry Houck - Hauch, Sergeant,
promoted from private to corporal and to sergeant. Served on detail under Captain Miller and again under Captain Brown. Died September 14, 1825. The father of four sons, John, Jacob, George, David, and three daughters, Nancy, Maria and Elizabeth. David living, aged 74, and Elizabeth Gardiner, aged 77. His grandson and son of John - Jacob, has three daughters. His grandchildren and children of Jacob are John H. of Central Bridge, N. Y., and David, who served four years in the Union Army, West, and Nancy Mowers and Kate Patchen. His son George died without issue. David, now living at Howe's Cave, N. Y., has two sons and four daughters, names not given, grandchildren, of Henry Houck. James Goff, a son of Maria Houck, served as an officer in the Union Army and suffered imprisonment at Libby.

Jacob Lawyer, Sergeant,
promoted from private to corporal, and to sergeant, and to ensign in Captain Becker's company. Served also under Captains Brown and Richtmyer. Died February 3, 1827, aged 78. Grandchildren, Mrs. Riley, Harriett Borst. Great-grandson, Giles Mann.

Davit - David Sternberg, Sergeant,
died June 8, 1828, aged 85. Great-grandchildren, Peter, William, Eve A. Best, Cassandra Morse.

William Enders - Entis, Sergeant,
detached for service under Captains Brown and Miller. Served at the Lower Fort during Johnson's raid, and worked the field piece with Hendricus Shafer.

Jacob Ziegraft, Sergeant,
detached from his company to serve at different times under Captains Richtmyer and Miller.

Abram Lawyer, Corporal,
was on detached service at different times under Captains Hager, Ritchmyer, Miller and Becker. Died January 20, 1825, aged 66. Grandchild, Mrs. P. A. V. Bartholemew. Great-grandson, Charles Bartholomew, in the Civil war.

Jacob Kniskern, Corporal,
did detached service under Captains Richtmyer and Miller. Was captured at Moak's Hollow in "Turlach," in 1780. Made his escape from "Rebel Island" Canada, on a float constructed of two brandy kegs. Died March 9, 1818, aged 64. Grandchildren, Elizabeth, Christina, Mrs. John Warner.

Barent Vrooman, Corporal,
was detached from his company for service at different times under Captains Brown, Hager, Miller and Becker and served on the frontier. Grandchildren, David, Charles, Peter, Lucian, William, Cornelius.

Peter Zimmer, Corporal,
served also under Captains Brown and Miller. Was captured July 26, 1780. Paroled a short time previous to the close of the war.

George Hadsel-Hetzel, Corporal,
served on detachment under Captain Miller.

Henry Hitchman - Hitzman, Corporal,
served on detail under Captain Miller. Grandchildren, Charles, Willard, Lansing.

Joost - Joseph Dietz, Fifer,
served on detail under Captain Miller.

Johannes - John Dominick, Jr.,
mustered as drummer. Son of Lieutenant John Dominick. Served as captain in the war of 1812. Grandchild, Weidman Dominick of Gallupville, N.Y. Great-grandson, A. L. Fisher, served in the Union Army.

Mathias - Mattice Ball,
a brother to Peter and son of "Chairman" Ball. He was sent to carry powder to the Middle Fort, and arrived just in time-Johnson's invasion. Died about 1840, leaving no descendants.

George Becker,
brother to the major, resided in the present town of Wright.

Jacob Becker,
brother to the major, served in the sortie against McDonald and was present when the Indian, David Ogeyonda, was killed in his attempt to escape. He served also in the defense of the Lower Fort during Johnson's invasion, was stationed in the tower as sharpshooter, and accompanied the troops under Colonel Vroman on the following day. He died 1845. Grandsons, Austin, Paul W.

Johannis -John Becker,
brother to the major, was surprised and killed by tomahawk, by Chrysler's Indians, while clearing a secluded place in the wood for a "wheat stack," July 26, 1782.- SIMMS. Grandchildren, Abram, Maria Philips, Lida Cottrell. Great-grandchildren, Peter W., Charles W., Clinton D., Athea Sands.

Wilhelmus-William Becker,
the major's brother. Died July 27, 1838, aged 77, leaving no descendants.

Abram Berg
served only with this company. At the time of Johnson's invasion he was assisting to drive cattle to the Lower Fort. His party secreted themselves and the cattle, and escaped. Died April 21, 1835, aged 77.

Philip Berg
detailed for service at different times under Captains Brown and Miller. Died January 31, 1839, aged 77. Grandchildren, Seneca, William, Peter, James, Charles. Great-grandson, Jeff.

Wilhelmus - William Berg.

Barney Cartagan - Cardocan.

Peter Dietz.
A Peter Dietz, second lieutenant in Third Albany County Regiment of February 20, 1776, and "Peter Dietz, captain in Colonel Wemple's Albany County Regiment, wounded by accident and died next day," is the only "Captain Dietz" given in the State roster. Simms mentions a Captain Dietz who was captured and died in Canada. I think the above the one referred to by him, but was not a captain, while the one referred to in the roster was a resident of Albany county.

William Cortney
served under Captains Brown and Miller also.

Soyer Denny,
detailed, at one time under Captain Miller.

Jacob Dietz.
In the roster I find "Jacob Dietz, Lieutenant," but his appointment is not dated. Simms says: Early in the spring of 1782 William Dietz was captured; his wife and children with his father and mother were murdered. That owing to grief and harsh treatment, he died in captivity. By comparison I infer that it should be "Jacob" instead of "William".

William Dietz, Jr.,
blacksmith, served under Captains Brown and Miller on detached duty. Died February 16, 1794, aged 45. Great-grandchildren, "William, Mrs. Merrill, Mrs. Mann, Mrs. Boughton.

Cornelius Eckerson
served on detail under Captains Brown and Miller. Died at Seward in 1839. Grandson, Henry. Another grandson, William, Jr., served in the Union Army and was killed at Cold Harbor, Va.

Thomas Eckerson.
In the archives I find Thomas and Thomas, Jr. Major Thomas was the son of the original settler Thomas; and if tradition be true that he had no sons, then "Thomas, Jr., private," is an error. As the original Thomas was too old for enrollment, the Thomas here given was the son of John and a nephew of the major. Grandchildren, William, Abraham, Daniel, John. Three great-grandchildren, Jacob, Ezra and Philip, served in the Union Army.

Peter Enders - Entis
did detached duty under Captains Brown and Miller. His home was burned during Johnson's invasion.

Peter Enders, Jr.,
detached from his company to serve under Captains Brown and Miller. Grandchildren, Elizabeth, Christina, and Mrs. John Warner.

John Enders, Jr.,
died March 12, 1825. Grandson, William Shout.

William Finck
detailed for service under Captains Richtmyer and Miller.

Christoffel - Christopher Hilts, Jr.,
served on detail under Captains Richtmyer and Miller.

George Hilts.
Grandson, George; great-grandsons, Martin, David, George.

John Hutt
served under Major Becker, and at the time of the attack on the major's house, narrowly escaped death or capture. He bravely assisted in the defense of the major and his family.-SIMMS.
He was the only member of his family living in the country-having driven his Tory brother from the country.

Jacob Hillsinger
resided in the northern part of the county. He was accounted a good "ranger" and fighter. His gun was the old "Holland rifle" and was brought from that country. He served principally as scout in "Old Turlach" or Seward and Sharon. Tradition says that he was one of the party who followed Chrysler at one time as far as "the river" and when Chrysler made insulting gestures from the opposite bank, he begged leave of his captain to shoot, and he did shoot, and "made Chrysler tumble." He died leaving no descendants.

John Hillsinger
served principally on detached service in Captain Miller's company and also under Colonel Duboise, Colonel Willett and in Captain Becker's company at Batavia. Grandchildren, Hiram, Isaac, Henry, Margaret Hoyt.

Peter Hillsinger
served also under Captains Brown, Richtmyer and Miller. Grandsons, Luther and Peter. Great-grandson, William.

John Ingold
served under Captain Brown at the "Lower Fort." Died December 3, 1809, aged 74. Great-grandchildren, Shafer Swart, M. Jennie Snook.

John Ingold, Jr.,
died August 19, 1846.

Peter Kidney.

John Kniskern,
brother to Jacob, served under Hager also. Was stationed in the tower of the Lower Fort when Johnson passed through the valley. Died February 11, 1782.

William Kniskern, Lieutenant,
brother to Jacob, served as sergeant in Brown's company and as second lieutenant in Miller's company. Was captured with Lieutenant Borst. Grandchildren, William, Nicholas, Calvin, Maria, Rachel, Eve Herron. Great-grandson, George, served in the Union Arm

Teunis Kniskern
died August, 1834, aged 83.

Jacob Granatier-Kranatier
detailed for service under Captains Brown and Miller.

Lambert Lawyer.
served on detachments under Brown, Miller and Richtmyer. Died August 12, 1829, aged 62. Grandchildren, Jacob, Nancy France, Almira Calkins, Catharine Marclay,Nancy Johnson.

John Low
-served under Captain Miller also. Died April, 1821.

Peter Mann, Jr.,
did some service under Miller also.

Jacob Mann
did detached service under Brown and Miller. Died March 15, 1829, aged 79. Grandchildren, Hon. John E. Mann, Milwaukee, Wis.; Abram Mann, Cobleskill, N. Y.; Eliza Larkins Sloansville, N.Y.

George Mereness.

Henry Merkel
served under Captain Miller. Grandson, William M. Great-grandson, John L. Last in line.

Jacob Merkel
served under Miller also, and as scout and ranger.

Jacob Money.

Daniel Price.

George Rheinhart,
detached for service under Miller.

William Rheinhart
served under Miller and Becker also.

John Resue.
Great-grandson, Leonard, served in the Union Army.

Benjamin River.

Caspar Rorick.
Great-grandsons, Riley S. and Ezra Gardner, served in the Union Army.

Barner Rorick.

Henrick - Henry Salge.

Adem - Adam Shafer - Scheffer,
served also as scout and rifleman under Captain Brown. Grandson, Henry A. Great-grandchildren, Gideon, George A., Ada, Mrs. A. W. Harder.

Teunis Shafer
served under Brown also.

Hendricus - Henry Shafer
served at different times under Brown, Richtmyer, Miller and Becker. He was one of the gunners who worked the field piece at the time Johnson passed through. Died August 27, 1832, aged 74. Grandchildren, Martin L., Gideon, Jacob H., Catharine Swart,Mary Sternberg.

John F. Shafer
served on detachment under Richtmyer.

Marcus Shafer
served under Captain Miller.

Marcus Shafer, Jr.,
served under Captains Brown and Miller. Died February 23,1835, aged 72. Grandson, Marcus Shafer, Schoharie, NY. Last in line.

Jacobus - Jacob Schoolcraft- Schulecraft
served under Brown, Richtmyer and Miller. Died August 12, 1834, aged 72. Grandson, Hiram. Great-grandchild, Mary Wifenbeck.

Lorrens -Lawrence Schoolcraft 2d
served the greater part of his duty as sentinel at the Lower Fort. Did detached duty under Brown and Miller. Grandsons, William and Seneca Sands.

Peter Schoolcraft
served under Captain Brown and at another time under Miller. Grandsons, Ira and Ezra.

John Schoolcraft,
a brother to Jacob and Lawrence, is not enrolled in the archives, although he became subject in 1781, or two years before the close of the war. Died June 18, 1849, aged 84. Grandsons, Peter P. and Jacob F. Great-grandson, Sherman.

John Schuyler
served under Captains Brown and Miller.

John F. Schell.

George Schell.
accompanied Major Becker from the Lower Fort, on the sortie against McDonald. He also assisted in the defense of the major and his family during the assault by Chrysler and his Indians in 1782. He kept the score and pronounced the epitaph of each Indian hit, and consigned each defunct savage to his future abode, after the Calvinistic creed.

Jacob F. Schell
served at different times under Captains Brown and Miller. Grandchildren, Daniel, Abraham, Sophia Fisher. Great-grandson, A. L. Fisher, served in the Union Army.

Henry Relyea.

Henry Sidney - Sidnig, Sitnich.

Joost - Joseph Sidney.

Peter Sidney
served also under Brown and Miller. Great-grandchildren, John J., Mary K. Wood, Gertie Davis.

William Sidney-served under Captains Brown, Miller and Richtmyer.

John Snyder - Schneider,
served under Brown also.

John Snyder,
or "Schoharie John," was taken prisoner July 26, 1782. On reaching Canada he enlisted in the British Army, to secure an opportunity to escape.

Lutwick-Lodwig Snyder,
father of "Schoharie John," served in detachments under Hager and Miller. Great-grandsons, Jacob M., and Jacob L. Driesbach. Great-great-grandson, Philip Snyder.

Abram Sternberg
served under Miller also. Died May 24, 1818, aged 80 years.

Jacob Sternberg
served on detached duty under Brown.

Barent Stubrach,
a brother to the captain, did other service under Brown, Miller and Richtmyer. He served a greater part of the time during the war as scout and rifleman. At near the close he was found sitting against a tree in the woods, dead, with his rifle between his knees. It is supposed his death was caused by over-exertion while scouting. He left no descendants.

Joseph Van Valkenberg
did special duty as a scout.

Jacob Van Dyke
served under Captain Brown and under Colonel Willettas scout and rifleman. At the time of Johnson's invasion he was sent out from the Lower Fort to reconnoiter, and on returning was stationed in the tower as sharpshooter. He was one of the party who pursued Johnson to the Mohawk, and accompanied the cavalry from the Lower Fort against McDonald early in the war. Died October 3, 1S44, aged 84. Descendants, children of Joseph Van Dyke.

Ephraim Vroman.
The roster gives the name as "private" of his company. There is no further evidence that there were two Ephraim Vromans.

Peter C. Vroman,
or Cornelius, son of Peter(?), sometimes called "Hazel Pete." Tradition says he tried to kill "Seths Henry" after the war.

Henry Webber, Jr.

Henry Worth - Werth,
did service under Captain Brown also. Died in 1812. Grandchildren, Mary, Harvey, Heman, Libbie, Martha Courter.

John Worth
served under Miller and Brown.

William Young
did service under Brown and Miller also.

Adam Zimmer
did service under Miller also. On the morning of the assault on Major Becker's house, being unable to reach it before the Indians arrived, he started for the Lower Fort. He was fired on by an Indian, but as he stooped at the instant to pass between the upper and lower bars of a passage, he escaped the bullet, which passed through the bar directly above his head. His wife was with the major's family at the time. Died June 26, 1832, aged 82. Great-grandsons, David, Hamilton, Sylvester, Freeman, Philip, Charles, Edward.

George Zimmer
did service under Becker. Granddaughter, Flora Weidman.

William Zimmer
served on detachment under Captain Hager. Great-grandsons, David S., Joseph.

Jacob Zimmer, Jr.,
did service under Captains Brown, Miller and Riehtnryer. Was massacred by Chrysler's Indians, July 26, 1782

Peter Fink
did service under Captains Richtmyer and Miller.

George Aker.
Descendants not clearly determined.


Jacob Hager, Captain,
"served as lieutenant, on the side of the Crown, in the war between England and France." At the beginning of the war of the Revolution he was commissioned captain under Colonel Vroman with rank from October 20,1775, and continued in command of this company until the close of the war. Previous to the invasion of McDonald he accompanied Henry Becker to Albany to ask for reinforcements. In 1779 he commanded an expedition against Brandt, but failed to meet him. He commanded a company, made up of his own and detachments from the First and Third Companies; sent on several occasions to reinforce the army on the frontier and along the Mohawk. During the invasion of August 9,1780, his buildings, near what is now Breakabeen, were burned. After the invasion of Vroman's land by Brandt and Chrysler in 1781, he was sent in pursuit with his company and a company under "Captain Hale."
The enemy were overtaken near Jefferson Lake, and owing to the cowardice of Hale, he succeeded in escaping after inflicting some loss on the Patriots. Captain Hager's record during the Revolution proves that he was a prominent Patriot. Died August 21, 1819, aged 85. Grandchildren, DeWitt, Cornelia Ferguson. Great-grandson, M. V. B. Hager. Great-great-granddaughter, Kate.
* History speaks of Captain Hale as a "Continental" officer. There is but one Captain Hale - Aaron - down in the roster of the State and at the time above mentioned he had been serving as captain of a company of Militia in the Ninth regiment, Second Claverack Battalion, since March 29, previous.

Martinus-Martin Van Slyke, Lieutenant.
Commissioned first Lieutenant October 20, 1775. Succeeded by Ephraim Vroman, February 20, 1778. Was appointed second lieutenant of Associate Exempts, November 4, 1778. Married the widow of Bartholomew C. Vroman, daughter of Samuel Vroman, and afterward known as "Granny Van Slyke".

NOTE.-The Captain Miller frequently referred to; commanded a company in the Duanesburg District.

Ephraim Vroman, Lieutenant,
commissioned first lieutenant October 20, 1778; taken prisoner August 9, 1780; released August 31, 1781, M. R. Author Simms says: "He was captured by a party of seventy-three Indians and five Tories, together with his two sons, Josias E. and Bartholomew E., and an infant which was released the day following but died soon after. His wife was shot, tomahawked and scalped, and his little daughter, Christina, killed with a stone by the Tory Beacroft. Vroman was taken to Niagara, to Montreal, and to 'South Rakela,' where he remained until exchanged. His two sons evidently returned, as a descendant informs me that the lieutenant married a 'widow Dietz' and that the two sons married her two daughters." Query, May not the "widow Dietz" have been the wife of Peter Dietz who died a prisoner? Descendants of Ephraim Vroman : Josias H., a grandson. Great-grandchildren, J. Schuyler, Josiah, John, Maria Snow.

Johannis W. Bouck, Lieutenant,
appointed second lieutenant October 20, 1775. Succeeded by Cornelius Feek, February 20, 1778. Served afterward under Captain Stubrack. Died February 26, 1785.

Cornelius Feek, Second Lieutenant,
promoted from sergeant to second lieutenant February 20, 1778. Served on detachment under Captain Richtmyer.

John L. Lawyer, Ensign,
appointed October 20, 1775. Succeeded February 20, 1778; and appointed lieutenant in the Associate Exempts. Died January 25, 1842, aged 94. Great-grandchildren, William H., Thomas, John S., Mary L. Clark.

Peter Swart, Ensign,
appointed February 20, 1778. Had been enrolled as private and promoted to corporal and to sergeant; served as messenger on several important occasions. Died November 3, 1829, aged 77.

John Hager, Sergeant,
gave warning of attack on the Upper Fort and the capture,
of its inhabitants August 9, 1780. Died August 24, 1829, aged 84. Grandchildren, Teunis, Eliza Bouck. Great-grandchildren, Mary E. Van Alstyne, Catharine S. Marcotte.

Joseph Hager, Sergeant,
served as private under Captain Becker. Participated in the engagement at Jefferson Lake and was severely wounded by gunshot in the right shoulder. After the war he removed to a distant part of the State, and his further record is not known, except that he and his immediate descendants became prominent in civil and political affairs.

Christian Bouck, Sergeant.
According to a history there could be but one Christian Bouck subject to enrollment during the Revolution - the father of William C. and the first occupant of Boucks Island. His survivors have no traditions of his military service, and are unable to remove the impression that there were two Christian Boucks, as the above enrollment and the date of death of another Christian Bouck apparently shows; and further, if the Christian, father of William C, took part in this war, and held the position of sergeant, it seems that his grand-children would have received some tradition. I have Christian Bouck died April 13, 1786; Christian Bouck, father of William C., died 1836.

John Keyser, Sergeant.

Richard Shelmandine, Sergeant,
promoted to corporal and to sergeant; served under Captain Becker also.

Christian Shafer, Corporal,
served on regular duty as sentry at the Upper Fort. Died December 24, 1819, age 58. Children living, Lany Shafer, Margaret Mattice. Grandson, John H. Mattice.

Peter Kniskern
became liable for duty 1780. Died December 26, 1827, age 63.

Baltus Krisler
served on detached duty under Captain Becker. If this man belonged to the noted Tory family I regard his enrollment and service in two different companies as evidence of patriotism.

Abram Keyser, Corporal,
became prominent after the war, and with his brother John removed from the county. Grandson, Peter.

John Kriesler.

Nicholas Long.

Abram Mattice.

Conrad Mattice.
Grandson, Jacob H. Great-grandson, Garrett W. Another great-grandson, Paul, served in the Union Army.

Elias Mattice.

Frederick Mattice, Jr.
Daughter, Katy Burget. Grandchildren, Asa, Frederick,Lawrence, Alston, Mrs. Hiram Ives.

George Mattice
died 1818, aged 52. Grandsons, John, Freeman.

Henry Mattice, Jr.

John Mattice
served under Captains Richtmyer and Becker. Great-grandson, John H.

John Mattice, Jr.
Grandson, George B. Bouck. Great-grandsons, George C. Willard, Stephen, Jr.

Nicholas F. Mattice.

Nicholas Mattice, Jr.,
died October 13, 1830, age 69. Did sentinel and messenger service. Grandchildren, Dorothy, Alexander, David, Catharine, Elizabeth Duesler. Great-granddaughter, Emma Scutt.

George Snyder
served as private under Captains Stubrach and Richtmyer and as corporal under Captain Becker.

Henry Snyder.

Jacob Snyder.

Lorrens - Lawrence Swart
did service under Captains Richtmyer and Stubrach.

Peter Swart
was one of the party sent as spies over service in the Charlotte Valley; was betrayed by Abram Becker, captured, taken to Detroit and after release adopted the Indian life and customs and did not return.

Joachim Valkenberg,
reputed a good soldier; served in the fields and at the fort during Johnson's raid; was killed at Jefferson Lake. His gun was taken by the Indian who shot him, and who admitted the fact after the war and surrendered the gun. This Indian died alone in the woods and suddenly.

Jacob Valkenberg.

John Valkenberg.
NOTE.-Careful comparison of the names of the roster and of family traditions justifies the inference that the original name of the family in Schoharie was Valk and that different branches adopted the names of Valck- Valkenberg - Van Valkenburg and in some cases Folluck. At the time of the Revolution the name of Van Valkenberg was found in other regiments, but not in this county.

George Shafer
served also in the war of 1812 as a substitute for Cornelius Vroman. Died March 4, 1828, aged 73. Grandchildren, John, George W., Wellington, Richard, Adelia Borst. Great-grandsons, Frederick, and Edwin who served in the Union Army.

Jacob Van Loan.

Harmanus Vosburg.

Adam A. Vroman
escaped to the Upper Fort at the time of the massacre in Vroman's Land. When asked how he got away, he replied : "I pulled foot." He was referred to as "Pull Foot" Vroman ever afterward.

John Vroman
served as courier and did service under Captain Stubrach. Was captured August 9, 1780. Released 1782. Grandchild, Katy Burget. Great-grandchild, Mrs. Hiram Ives.

Isaac Vroman.
Early on the morning of November 10th, 1781, he called at the
house of his son "to have some work done" and was "shot in the dooryard" by a party of the enemy who had lain in ambush during the night for the purpose. "He was clubbed and scalped by Seths Henry." During Johnson's invasion the year previous he was at the Upper Fort.

Isaac Vroman, Jr.

Bartholemew Vroman, Jr.,
captured August 9, 1780. Released on parole 1782

Peter A. Vroman
served under Captain Richtmyer also. Died January 3, 1794, aged 51. Grandson, Peter A. V. Bartholemew. Great-grandsons, Charles Bartholemew served in the Union Army, William Swart.

Peter I. Vroman,
son of Isaac, and who escaped to the fort after the murder of his father. Died at the age of 43. Grandchildren, Ann Eve Borst, Elizabeth Lawyer.

Samuel Vroman
was a merchant and committee-man, and enrolled for service. He died soon after the war. He was the father of Susannah, who became Susannah Van Slyke by a second marriage. Great-grandchildren, David J., Margaret Bellinger. Great-great-grandson, William.

Simon Vroman
was captured with his wife, August 9, 1780. Was wounded, and died soon after reaching Canada. His wife married in that country and did not return.

Bartholomew C. Vroman
served on detail under Captain Richtmyer. He was one of the party who discovered the captors of William Bonck and servants. He accompanied Murphey on several expeditions and was "best man" at Murphey's wedding. When Johnson approached the Middle Fort he was in the line of skirmishers and wore the handkerchief of his betrothed, Susannah, for a head covering. He married soon after.

William Barnhart.

Henry Bauch
did service under Captain Becker.

Johannis Bauch.

William Bauch, Jr.,
did other service under Captain Richtmyer. He with his son Lawrence was captured in July, 1780, by a party of Indians under Seths Henry, who were overtaken, by Harper's men on the following day and compelled to abandon their prisoners. Great-grandchild, Eve Keyser.

Lawrence Bauch,
son of William, Jr., was sent from the Upper Fort to give information at the time of Johnson's invasion. Was captured with his father in July, 1780, but escaped during the night before his father was retaken. "Father, I'm going to eat pudding and milk out of my own bowl to-morrow morning." Grandchildren, William, Eve Keyser.

Adam Becker.

Conradt Becker.

Nicholas Bauch
died November 14,1806, aged 57. Grandson, Thomas I.

Nicholas W. Bauch.

Frederick Becker.

Peter Brewer
did service under Captain Stubrach also. Those supposed to be of his generation are found buried near Breakabeen; but any living descendants I have been unable to find.

Adam Brown, Jr.

John Brown.

Joseph Brown
captured July 4, 1782.

Michael Brown
served under Captain Brown also.

Hugh Caghy.

Nathan Daley.

Lewis Dannea or Dana.

Julius Eagars.

Nicholas Feek
did service under Captain Stubrach.

Peter Feek
discovered the rear of Johnson's forces as they were passing below the Upper Fort. He was a brother of John Feek, the father-in-law of Murphey. His son Nicholas served in the war of 1812. Grandchildren, Margaret J. Houck, Catharine E. Mann.

Nicholas Gerlach.

Samuel Haggadorn.

Adam Hager.

Henry Hager,
son of the captain, afterward became "Judge Hager."

Samuel Hager.

William Henry.

Adam Haggadorn.

Henry Holdaway.

Benj. Humphrey.

James Humphrey.

Isaac Patchen
was captured with his brother at Harpersfield, April 7,1780 ; released November 28, 1782. At the time of capture he was on detailed service under Captain Harper "with eleven others," to make sugar for the garrisons in the valley. He became the father of eight children. Died February 22, 1834, aged 70. Grandchildren, Benjamin, Ezra, Adaline Peters, Sarah Dayton, Jemima Beardsley, Hannah Peters, Loanda Foot, Adaline Russ, Nancy Rhodes, Ruthalia Case, Margaret S. Kruin, Rhoda Achinson, Sarah Crane, Joseph Fuller, Maria Treadwell, Eliza A. Mitchell.

Freegift Patchen
was not enrolled as of military age, but mustered as fifer, as was the custom to appoint enterprising lads as musicians. He was captured with the party sent to Harpersfield to make sugar, and treated with marked cruelty at the several Indian villages and while confined in various Canadian prisons. According to a narrative left by him, his life was spared by a humane surgeon, who discovered his wretched condition and ordered the removal of his irons and better treatment. He was released November 28, 1782. Died August 30, 1831, aged 72. Grandsons, Freegift, M.V.B. Hager, Morris Hager. Great grandson, Harley Patchen.

Diewalt Bartholemew
was enrolled under both Colonels Harper and Yroman, and did regular service under Captain Hager during the last years of the war.

Christopher Hilts,
father of Christopher, Jr., and George.


George Richtmyer, Captain,
resided east of the Middle Fort, joined in the attack on McDonald's forces at Chrysler's Mill, served in the defense of the Middle Fort during Johnson's raid and served the Patriot cause on the frontier. He was commissioned captain, October 20, 1775, reappointed February 20, 1778, and held the position throughout the war. Died September 16, 1803, aged 65. Great-grandchildren, George, Philip, Almon.

Johannes I. Lawyer, First Lieutenant,
appointed October 20, 1775; reappointed February 20, 1778. Died July 21, 1818. Grandchildren, J. Addison, Mary Upham. Great-grandchildren, William, Abram, Mrs. George Clark. Another great-grandson, George S., was mortally wounded in the Civil war.

Martinus W. Zielie, Second Lieutenant,
appointed October 20, 1775; reappointed February 20, 1778.
Went out with the skirmishers to oppose the progress of Johnson and did effective service during the siege of the Middle Fort. Died November 3, 1833, aged 88.

Johannis L. Bellinger, Ensign,
appointed October 20, 1775; reappointed February 20, 1778. The roster rates him as ensign under Captain Hager.

Albertus Becker, Sergeant.

Cornelius Bauch, Sergeant,
promoted from private to corporal and to sergeant. Died September 7, 1824, aged 65. Grandsons, George A., Peter, Henry. Great-grandson, John B.

Christian Richtmyer, Sergeant,
a brother to the captain, served on detached duty under Captain Miller.

Joseph Mattice, Sergeant,
served on detached duty under Captain Hager.

John Rickert, Sergeant,
promoted to sergeant; served under Captains Hager, Brown, Stubrach and Miller. He secured the goose and moccasins which Enders intended to have. Great-grandchildren, George, Mrs. Shafer Swart.

John B. Becker, Corporal.

Bartholemew Vroman, Corporal,
did detached duty under Captain Hager and served as sergeant under Captain Becker.

Marcus Bellinger, Corporal.
Granddaughter, Nancy Manchester. Great-grandsons, Marcus (can't read possibly Marens?), Henry.

John G. Becker, Fifer.

Marcus Rickert, Fifer.
His music must have been inspiring, as we find him detailed at different times under Captains Stubrach, Brown and Miller.

Joseph I. Borst, Drummer,
was sent as messenger to Albany at the time of Johnson's raid. His father dying previous to the war, and he being the eldest son, was the only one of the family enrolled for duty. He died June 14, 1834, aged 73. Grandchildren, Augustus, William, John, Louisa B. Hyde.

Thomas Bouck
served under Miller also.

Albertus Becker, Jr.

David Becker
joined the forces against McDonald. Died March 15, 1796, aged 38. Grandchildren, Richard, John, Thomas, Louisa B. Hyde. Great-grandson, Edward. Last in line; served in the Union Army.

Garret Becker.
We may infer that this man was an enterprising soldier, for Author Simms tells us that he loaned the wagon which carried Murphey's wedding party to Schenectady. I learn nothing more of the soldier or his wagon.

Harmanus Becker.

Henry Becker,
sent to Albany as messenger at the time of McDonald's invasion. Died 1830. Grandson, William G. Great-grandson, George H.

John S. Becker.

John F. Becker.

John H. Becker.

John J. Becker.

John Albertus Becker.

John P. Becker.

John William Becker.

There were nine John Beckers, whose names were classed separate by the addition of a different letter of the alphabet. The roster of this company and tradition bear evidence to the fact that there were "nine Hans Baeckers."

Storm S. Becker.

Marcus Bellinger, Jr.

Jacob Borst.

Johannes Borst
did other service under Brown and Miller.

Peter Borst.
Grandchildren, Milton, Eve Ann. Great-grandson,. George S. Bouck.

Philip Borst.
Great-grandson, James. Great-great-granddaughter, Mary V.

John Borst, Jr.

Anthony Brentner.

Michael Brand.

Henry Coenraed - Conrad.

Henry Conrad, Jr.

Cornelius Cornelison.

Johnathan Cowley
served also under Colonel Duboise. Was a son of St. Leger Cowley, who was adjutant of a battalion of rangers commanded by Captain John Harper, afterward colonel, and ordered to be raised by the Council of Safety, July 17, 1777. He died by drowning in Cayuga lake in 1817.

Teunis Eckerson
did service on detachment under Becker. Died January 10, 1797, aged 67. Eliza Lynes, last descendant.

Jacob Criscal.

Johnathan Cutty.

Teunis Eckerson, Jr.

Jacob Feek.

Son Jacob, Jr. in war of 1812.

James Herron.
Grandsons, William W., Charles. Great-grandson, William W., served in the Union Army.

Robert Herron.

John Humphrey.

Jacob Jacobson
served on detachment under Becker.

Henry Yansen - Jansen.
Grandchildren, Abram, Garret, Leroy, Nancy. Great-grandsons, Peter, living; Henry and Joseph, dead; all in the Union Army.

Johannes Yansen
died January 24, 1836, aged 82.

Joost - Joseph Yansen.

Andreas-Andrew Loucks - Lauchs.
A sergeant. Served in Captain Becker's company also. He served at the Middle Fort. During Johnson's invasion, he witnessed the burning of his wheat stacks, while those of his Tory brother escaped destruction. He died April 9, 1838, aged 99. Grandson, John P. Great-grandsons, Andrew J., William, John F.

Jeremy- Jury - Jeremiah Loucks,
son of Andrew. Was at the Middle Fort during Johnson's raid. Was wounded by a musket ball in the forehead while standing in the entrance gate of the fort. Died March 19, 1854, aged 87. Son, Henry J. Grandsons, Jeremiah, Thomas. Great-grandson, Henry.

John McCoy.

Hugh Mahallen.

Philip Merkel
served on detachment under Miller.

James Murray.

Frantz - Frank Otto.

Gottleib - Godlove Otto
served under Brown and Miller also.

John Pain.

Martinus Pick.

Jacob Richtmyer.

George Rickert
served on detachment under Miller and under Becker. Grandchildren, John, Albert, Nancy Stever, Louisa Sidney, Julia Edwards.

Nicholas Rickert
did service under Captains Hager and Becker.

William Ritter.

John Ritter.

Thomas Roth.

Henry Runrath.

John T. Shafer.

Adam Schell
died October 30, 1786.

Christian Schell
served under Captain Miller also.

George Shelmendine - Shelmetine.

Nicholas Sluyder - Slouter
was engaged at the Middle Fort during Johnson's attack. Left his dying child to accompany Murphey and the skirmishers. Great-grandson, Andrew Lawyer.

John Snyder.
Grandsons, William, John E., Jeremiah, John, Sanford.

Eacus Satterly.

Benjamin Steinbrunner.

Ancus Sutherland.

John Van Antwerp.

Cornelius Van Dyke
was in the attack on McDonald in 1777 and did meritorious service afterward.

Peter Van Slyke
was in the attack on McDonald and took part in the defense of the Middle Fort.

Barent Vroman, Jr.
Great-grandson Abram in the Civil war.

Peter Vroman
served in detachments under Captains Brown, Stubrach and Miller.

Christoffel - Stoffel - Christopher Warner
served at "Rhinebeek and at Stillwater."

David Zeh.
Great-grandson Jeremiah in the Union Army

Joseph Zeh
did service under Becker also. Died July 28, aged 82. Grandsons, Marcus, Joseph. Great-grandchildren, Charles, Fred, Annie J.

Nicholas Zeh
served under Captain Brown also.


Christian Brown, Captain.
The date of first appointment not given, but find him holding the position, February 20, 1778. He was second in condmand at the battle of Cobleskill, now Warnerville. After the death of Patrick he ordered the remnant of the Patriot forces to escape as best they could. His mills were spared the general destruction through the intervention of a Tory neighbor, who hoped to gain possession through confiscation, if the Patriots were subdued.

Hendrick-Henry Borst, First Lieutenant.
His appointment approved February 20,1778. Died May 1, 1808. Great-grandsons, Joseph, Harvey, Henry.

Jacob Borst, Lieutenant,
appointed February 20, 1778, took part in the battle of Cobleskill and escaped unhurt. In the latter part of October, 1781, in company with two soldiers from Fort Duboise, he went to "Turlach" to assist a farmer named Myndert in securing his peas and hogs. After finishing their work, and while drying their clothing within the house, the whole party were surprised and captured by a Tory and six Indians.-SIMMS.
Lieutenant Borst and Sergeant William Kniskern suffered great hardships while on their way to Canada through cold, hunger and "running the gauntlet" at the Indian villages. Through such severe treatment the lieutenant contracted consumption and died soon after reaching Niagara, in winter of 1781 and 1782.

Johannes H. Shafer, Ensign,
appointed February 20, 1778; succeeded October 30, 1778; was engaged at the battle of Cobleskill and escaped unhurt. His family fled to the woods. Died May 6, 1833, aged 82. Grandchildren, George, Peter, Catharine M. Lawyer. Great-grandchild, Mary C. Brown.

Nicholas Warner, Ensign,
was the father of nine children, the youngest of whom died at the Lower Fort during the war. Appointed ensign October 30, 1778. He was engaged in the battle of Cobleskill, and after that event served as scout and courier. At the time of Johnson's raid he was of the party stationed in the tower of the Lower Fort as sharpshooter. On the 9th of December, 1782, he was captured with his father while at his home to procure a sleigh which he had sold to Joost Berner. His captors encamped for the night near Richmondville. To allay suspicion he removed the moccasins and leggings which an Indian had given him in exchange for his brogans, and lay down for the night and was secured in the usual fashion. He had determined to escape if possible, and knowing that the Indians were familiar with much of the German language, he improvised a song - no doubt with variations - and informed his father through that medium of his intentions. After his captors fell asleep he escaped by taking a circuitous route, and during a heavy snow-storm he reached Fort Duboise at daybreak and "in his stockined feet." Died July 27, 1838, aged 91. Great-grandsons, Lieutenant George W. Snyder, U.S.A., George H. Warner, served in the Union Army.

William Mann, Sergeant,
served at times under Captains Stubrach, Richtmyer and Miller. Died October 19, 1816, aged 70. No descendants.

Henry Shafer, Sergeant,
was wounded by gunshot in the thigh while on retreat from the battle of Cobleskill and became disabled from further military duty. He avoided capture and was found by friends and taken to the Lower Fort, where he recovered. At a time previous to the battle of Cobleskill and while scouting he was pursued and fired at by an Indian. After escape he found the spent musket ball of the Indian between the back and lining of his vest. In after years he became judge of the county. Died April 15, 1839, aged 82. Grandchildren, William, Henry, Diana, Catharine, Peter P., now dead, served in the Union Army. Great-grandchildren, Clarence, Paul, served in the Union Army, and Mrs. Alexander Campbell.

John Valentine, Sergeant.

Garret Nicholas, Sergeant.

Lambert Sternberg, Corporal,
served on detachments under Captains Stubrach, Richtmyer and Miller. Died July 1, 1829, aged 72. Grandson, John.

Leonard King-Koening, Corporal,
did service under Stubrach. Was wounded at the battle of Cobleskill. Great-grandson Lawrence in the Union Army.

Peter Shafer, Corporal,
did service at one time under Captain Miller. Was wounded at the battle of Cobleskill. Died March 31, 1834, aged 76. Grandchildren, James, Caroline Bellinger. Great-grandson, George W. Bellinger.

Jacob Bauch.
No descendants within the county.

Peter Bauch.
Great-grandchildren, J. W. Russel,Kate Russel, Martha M. Sternberg, Fanny E. Lawyer.

Baltus Bauch.

Joost - Joseph Berner
died May 17, 1833, aged 78.

John Bouck
served under Captain Miller. Died December 31, 1830, aged 82.

Migel - Michael Borst.

Joost - Joseph Borst
was one of the Committee of Safety. Died January, 1812. Grandson, Jeremiah. Great-grandson, Abram.

William Brown,
son of the captain.

Adam Berg.

John Eckerson.
Granddaughter, Lavancha Hallenbeck. Great-grandson, Uriah Hallenbeck, died in Union Army.

George Ferster,
father of John and Martinus, was taken prisoner at the time of the second invasion of Cobleskill. After his release he returned to Pennsylvania, from whence he came before settling in the Cobleskill Valley.

John Ferster
had served as courier and scout, and had returned from Cherry Valley on the day previous to the battle of Cobleskill. He was killed in that engagement, but his body was not found until a field of wheat on which he fell was harvested.

Martinus Ferster,
brother to John. He was also in the battle of Cobleskill. On the retreat he took refuge in the house of George Warner, Sr., in which he perished, after being set on fire by the enemy. His body was identified by means of his tobacco box.

John Freemyer-Frimier
took part in the battle of Cobleskill. He took refuge in the Warner house with young Ferster and was burned alive. His knee buckles, and gun barrel revealed the identity of his remains.

John Freemyer, Jr.,
was captured September 2, 1780, and remained a prisoner one year. Died April 19, 1835. Grandsons, Abraham, John, George. Great-granddaughter, Mrs. Hiram Bender. Great-great-grandson, Frederick H.

George Freemyer
was engaged in the battle of Cobleskill. Was captured with his brother John, September 2, 1780.

Jacob Freemyer
killed in the battle of Cobleskill.

Michael Freemyer.
No account of service.

John Holt.

Henry Kniskern
served under Captains Stubrach, Hager and Richtmyer.

John King - Koenig-Koening
did service at Fort Duboise as guard.

Michael King.

Christopher King.

Charles Kramer
served under Stubrach, Miller and Becker.

John Granatier - Grenadier.

Lawrence Lawyer
was engaged in the battle of Cobleskill but escaped injury. His wife and family remained in hiding for "three days after the battle." Died August 23, 1840, aged 89. Grandchild, Hannah E, Kromer. Great-grandchildren, George, Kate Myers, Augusta Wild man, Kate Russel, Jacob N. Russel, Martha W. Stanton, Abram S. Livingston.

Nicholas Lawyer
served under Captain Miller also.

Jeremiah Mereness.

John Merkel.

Nicholas Merkel.

Adam Shafer, Jr.

Dieobold - Dewalt Shafer
did other service under Stubrach. Died June 18, 1834, aged 77. Grandchildren, Kasson, Martha Truax.

Jacob Shafer
was wounded at the battle of Cobleskill and conveyed to the rear during the retreat. He was left "behind a log" by a comrade, but was discovered by the enemy and killed.

Joseph Shafer
did service under Richtmyer. Grandchildren, John F., Maria Dart. Great-grandson Edwin served in the Union Army.

Lambert Shafer
did service under Miller.

John Shafer, Jr.

Simeon Schuyler
served on detachments under Miller and Stubrach.

John V. Singer.

William Snyder
did service under Captain Hager also. Died April 19,1801, aged 51. Grandchildren, Catherine Brown, Lovina Howe. Great-grandson, William.

Teunis Swart.

Jost - Joseph Warner
did service under Miller, and served as substitute for his brother, Christopher, "at Rhinebeck and at Stillwater." Grandson, Daniel. Great-grandchild, Liza.

George Warner, Jr.
Enrolled at the age of 18. Was engaged in the battle of Cobleskill. At the time of McDonald's invasion, he was detailed as a spy to watch the movements of the Tories in the vicinity of the Lower Fort. He was captured July 27, 1782, near Cobleskill, by Chrysler and Seths Henry. On his journey to Canada he was threatened with punishment by hanging for protesting against the tightness of the cords with which his hands were bound. At an Indian village he was flogged by Mollie Brandt, one of Sir William Johnson's former sweetheart squaws. At an Indian castle he was compelled to "run the gauntlet," and when near the goal was knocked down by a blow on the head from a club in the hands of a large Indian boy. At Niagara his imprisonment was very severe. Later, he with a companion prisoner from Virginia, named Price, was placed to service near by, and during their term many mysterious deaths and disappearances occurred among the Indians of that vicinity. He remained a prisoner until after the close of the war, then ran away with several others, and reached home July 15,1784. He afterward became captain of Militia. Two sons, Marcus and John, served in the war.of 1812. Died March 28, 1844, aged 86. Grandchildren, Tobias, Isaac Mann, Mrs. Jas. Harroway.

John Zeh
resided in what is now Richmondville, and was one of the fartherest western residents of the valley. He was killed at the battle of Cobleskill, and tradition says by a Tory brother who had joined the enemy just previous, that he might inherit the property of their father.


Storm Becker, Captain.
In Colonel Willett's regiment of levies for the defense of the frontiers, and in the roster of officers we find under date of July 24, 1782, "Storm Becker of Schoharie, Ensign."
On or after that date it appears that several ensigns were detailed to recruit, but Becker's name does not appear among the number. In the roster of the Fifteenth Regiment, and under date of February 20, 1778, we find "Storm Becker captain of a company in and about Batavia." As the foregoing is the only data given, we can only infer that owing to expiration of term, or to the small number of men in the company, it was disbanded, and Captain Becker accepted the position of ensign in Colonel Willett's regiment, where we find him July 24, 1778. Grandsons, Philip B., John, David. Great-grandsons, Stilliman, George, Charles.

Peter Hager, First Lieutenant,
appointed February 20, 1778.

Peter Richtmyer, Second Lieutenant,
appointed February 20, 1778. Brother to George and Christian of the Eighth Company.

Isaac Becker, Ensign,
appointed February 20, 1778. Previous to his appointment he was a sergeant in the Third Company.

Peter Becker.
One of the Commission of Safety.

Frederick Eigler.

George Law.

John Lawyer
died June 28, 1800, aged 54.

William Schoolcraft.

Frederick Schell.

John Van Dyke.

Peter Zielie
enrolled in the Fifteenth Regiment but not assigned to company.

David Bouck.

David Becker, Jr.

Nicholas Becker.

Michael Graus.

Baltus Hagadorn,
one of the scouting party of July 25, 1780.

Bartholemew Hagadorn.

John Hagadorn,
wounded in the hip at the rescue of the Bouck family, July, 1780.

James Harrison.

James Harrison, Jr.

Michael Hillsinger.

Juas Jessy.

Thomas Murray.

James Morrell.

Thomas Smith.


Archibald Lemmon
resided in the town of Fulton, and at the age of 17 enlisted with his brother John in Captain Midler's company. Colonel Graham's regiment. Died November 28, 1842, aged 79.

John Lemmon
joined Captain Muller's company of the Third Regiment of Levies under Colonel Graham in 1780. According to tradition he was taken prisoner during his service, and to escape torture and death, adopted the Indian mode of life and marrying according to custom. He remained a prisoner for eight years and escaped, returning to his native county. Date of death unknown. No descendants this side the St. Lawrence.


According to Author Simms this organization was composed of men who were upwards of fifty years of age. We find some under fifty years who had been enrolled elsewhere. Evidently the members of the organization were only required for duty in garrison or at times of invasion. The roster of this organization is incomplete and it is impossible to give a full list of members.

Teunis Vroman, Captain,
appointed November 4, 1778. Had served previously, in the French war. Held command of the Upper Fort on the day of the massacre of August 9, 1780, but had left the fort to attend farm labor. He was surprised and massacred together with his wife and son, Peter - the lad whom the notorious Beacraft so barbarously murdered.

Peter Snyder, First Lieutenant,
appointed November 4, 1778 ; promoted to captain after the death of Captain Vroman. Died May 29, 1803, aged 60.

Martinus Vroman, Second Lieutenant,
appointed November 4, 1778.

Jacob Lawyer, Jr., Ensign.

Henry Hager
had served as captain under the Crown during the French war in America. His sympathies were with the Colonies, and with his sons he espoused the Patriot cause. He was captured by Brandt in August, 1782, and remained a prisoner eleven months. His sons, Jacob, John, Joseph and Peter, were prominent in service. The relationship of the other Hagers, except Henry, is not determined. His epitaph reads : Anno 1796, July 13th. Died Hendrich Heger AEtas 93, 11 mont.

John Feek
resided within the stockade of the Upper Fort. Father-in-law to Timothy Murphey.

Frederick Mattice.

Abram Vroman.

John Becker.

Johannes Bellinger.

Philip Snyder, Sergeant.

Adam Vroman,
"committee man." Others belonging to this organization were enrolled in the Militia proper and were accounted for in both grades of service.


A resolution of the Provincial Congress, passed July 17, 1777, authorized the raising of two companies of Rangers from the counties of Albany, Tryon and Ulster. A resolution of same date made John Harper, captain and Alexander Harper first lieutenant. From the archives it appears that these companies ranked as Continental troops and drew pay as such, and that the appointment of John Harper as captain was no reduction of grade or rank from colonel of Militia, an appointment which he apparently held at that time. Many members of one company were residents of the southern part of what is now Schoharie county, then Albany, and we find the names of some enrolled as members of the Fifteenth Regiment and of Captain Hager's company.

John Harper, Colonel.
It is not positively claimed that Colonel Harper was a Schoharie county man, and it is conceded that he may have resided in the present county of Delaware. His services during the Revolution were so connected with the military operations in the valley from the beginning to the close of the war, that I give his appointment.
Captain of Rangers, July 17, 1777.
Lieutenant-colonel of Second Regiment of Levies and Militia, May 11,1780. Afterward colonel of Fifth Tryon County Regiment of Levies, taking rank from March 3, 1780. He served as guide of General James Clinton on the Western expedition, 1779.

St. Leger Cowley, Adjutant,
belonged to the First Company of Rangers, entering the service in 1777. Afterward appointed adjutant of the Fifth Tryon County Levies, March 3, 1780. He was the father of Jonathan Cowley, who served in the same war, and the great-grandfather of Hector and Charles Cowley, who were killed during the war of the rebellion, and of William S. Cowley of Stamford, N. Y.

Alexander Harper, Captain,
was appointed first lieutenant of Rangers, July 17, 1777. Appointed captain "in the beat whereein he resides," March 3, 1780, enrolled in the Fifth Regiment of Levies, but serving under Colonel Vroman. Was captured by Indians and Tories under Brandt, near Harpersfield, April 7,1780, while in command of a detachment sent out to make sugar. According to the narrative of Freegift Patchen, three of the number were killed, while Harper and the ten survivors of his detachment were taken to Canada, where they were held prisoners until the treaty of peace was ratified.

Thomas Henry, Second Major,
was appointed second lieutenant, July 17, 1777, and promoted to second major on the staff of Colonel Harper in the Fifth Regiment of Militia, March 3, 1780.

Ezra Thorp
stands on the roster as belonging to this company under Lieutenant-Colonel Zielie. He is mentioned in the narrative as "Lieutenant Ezra Thorp." No mention of his appointment to office is made in the archives. He may have been chosen to fill vacancy made by the promotion of Major Henry, and may have been acting as second lieutenant at the time of his capture, April 7, 1780, with Captain Harper. He was held prisoner at Canada until the close of the war.

William Lamb,
one of the number captured by Brandt, September 7,1780. Released November 28, 1782. After his return, settled in the town of Harpersfield, Delaware county, N. Y.
The foregoing comprise all names on the roster for this company.

As before stated, some of its members became attached to Captain Hager's company, while others became members in the Fifth Regiment, and their residence as Schoharie men cannot be certified.

Adam Strobeck,
assigned to no company. Was enrolled at one time in Captain Gross5 company of Willett's regiment. "Wounded in the arm and back, July 7, 1781," M. R. Pensioned afterward.

John Philip Kerker
did secret service as scout and messenger, with head-quarters for a time at the Lower Fort. Was captured at Moak's Hollow, with Lieutenant Borst and Sergeant Kniskern. Released after the war. He was a native of Germany and came from "Bingen on the Rhine." Grandson, Solomon. Great-grandsons, Solomon D., Joseph, Harman, Franklin.


Timothy Murphey,
Murphey was an Irishman, "by occupation," and naturally fond of adventure. A man of quick perceptions and a fearless nature. His boldness and skill in warfare against Indians and Tories soon made him a special object for their vengeance, but in his encounters with them he generally balanced accounts to his credit. If Murphey possessed the unlimited courage attributed to him by traditional romances, they evidently err in making him the perpetrator of some of the brutal and inhuman acts which are related so faithfully after the dime novel pattern of literature. Courage in the face of danger is never found in a brutal or revengeful nature. That he met cunning with strategy, when his own life or interests were at stake, goes without saying, but that he indulged in bloody acts without pressing occasions, we must either deny, or abandon the claim that Tim Murphey was a hero. Timothy Murphey was fond of adventure to the extent that he would incur any risk to gratify the spirit. He looked out for "number one" on all occasions, and his policy carried him through, and under his leadership, the men who trusted him. To his mind, the possession of Margaret Feek and, later on, her father's broad acres appeared very desirable, and to a man of his nature the accomplishment followed a determination. Margaret gave him the key to the city without protest, and time and a little more strategy brought the surrender of the whole-garrison. The exact date of Murphey's coming to Schoharie is not evident. I conclude from histories, that he came with Captain Long's detachment of Morgan's Rifle Corps during the late summer or fall of 1778, and that, with the exception of his term of service in the Sullivan campaign, he served with the Schoharie County Militia from, the fall of 1778 until the close of the war. He was enrolled in the Fifteenth Regiment and in Captain Hager's company, but evidently served under a "roving commission," as we find him at the head of several expeditions sent out to arrest prominent Tories and break up then rendezvous with their Indian allies. He contracted a runaway marriage at Schenectady on October 1, 1780, and on his return to the Middle Fort his wedding was celebrated by a great jubilee and "High Jinks." A day or two after his celebration he accompanied a scouting expedition to the Susquehanna, then to Cairo, and thence back to Schoharie, after an absence of thirteen days, and the day previous to the invasion by Johnson. On that day he performed good service on the skirmish line before Johnson invested the fort, and afterward fired on the flag of truce sent by Johnson, in defiance of the orders of Major Woolsey. He accompanied the party in pursuit of Brandt and Chrysler after the invasion, of Vroman's land in November, 1781. After the close of the war a reconciliation was effected between his father-in-law and himself, when he adopted a farmer's life and pursuits. His wife, Margaret, died September 1, 1807. Murphey remarried. Died June 27, 1818. Grandchildren, William, Eliza Best, Catharine M. Banks. Great-grandchild, Marion M. Swart.

David Ellerson
came to Schoharie in 1778, and belonged to Captain Long's detachment of Morgan's Rifle Corps. He was an inseparable companion of Murphey in his scouting expeditions, and is on record as equally skillful as a marksman. He was a Yirginian by birth and had been wounded in the shoulder by a bullet during Indian troubles in his native State. He accompanied Murphey on his mission to arrest Service in the Charlotte Valley. He did effective service as a skirmisher at the time Johnson attacked the Middle Fort. Soon after coming to Schoharie he laid siege to the "hertz" of one of her daughters and captured the garrison. After the war he settled in the southern part of the county. Died in "1838 or 1839," at a very advanced age.

Philip Hover,
a member of Captain Long's detachment of riflemen, acquired great popularity through his skill as marksman and scout. He was certainly not less skilled in warfare against the common enemy than his comrades Murphey and Ellerson, as we find him possessed of a wife, who was captured during the invasion of Brandt, August 8, 1780, but released on the day following. On that day he was one of the scouts sent out to West Fulton to reconnoiter, but through the unfortunate zeal of his comrade Leek, was unable to reach the Upper Fort by a direct route and until the enemy had capture'd or massacred the inhabitants. Aside from services as a scout, he was engaged in the operations without and within the Middle Fort during the invasion of Johnson. He remained a resident of the county for a time unknown after the war.

John Wilbur -Williber
was a resident of Pennsylvania and a carpenter by occupation. He is especially* mentioned as a brave soldier and as maintaining the rank by marrying a Schoharie girl - "Miss Mattice." At the time Johnson appeared near the Middle Fort he shot a disguised Tory who was attempting to steal a horse. After the war he settled in the Charlotte Valley.

Richard Haggadorn, Sergeant,
was a member of the detachment of riflemen, and served with his comrades until mortally wounded in the engagement at Panther Mountain in November, 1781. He was rescued from the enemy and taken to the Upper Fort, where he died on the day after. It was on the occasion of his rescue that Murphey remarked, "every bullet was not moulded to hit."

William Leek
became noted through his rashness, in firing at a tempting mark, while scouting in the vicinity of West Fulton. He had been sent out with two others to reconnoiter for the enemy, with orders to return to the fort without exciting the attention of the enemy, if he was found to be in the neighborhood. While he was in hiding near the stream, a surgeon of Brandt's party, disguised as an Indian, approached for the purpose of obtaining water -when Leek, forgetting orders and prudence, shot the Englishman, and by the report of his gun brought the whole camp of savages on his trail. In the race for his own safety, he was unable to give warning to the Upper Fort before its inhabitants were surprised and captured. During the war or near its close, he married the wife of a man who had gone to Canada at the beginning of the war, and who was supposed to be dead, as nothing had been heard from him since his departure. After peace became established, the exile returned, to find himself "outside the breast-works," while William, the scout, held the fort. Leek, with his wife, removed to Cayuga county soon afterward, where he died. - Tradition.

Conradt Winnie
was one of the scouts sent on the reconnoisance to West Fulton. He barely escaped capture by taking a "roundabout" route to the valley, and finding the enemy in possession of the ground. His survivors cannot be definitely traced.

Felix Hoever
belonged to Long's detachment of Morgan's Rifles, and served, as scout and ranger.

Joseph Evans
was a member of the Rifle Corps, and served in the valley, as a resident, and settled in the southern part of the county after the war. He married the daughter of Teunis Eckerson.

Christopher France
lived in the western part of the county, known as "Turlach." He served as scout and messenger between his neighborhood and the Lower and Middle Forts, and was with the defenders of the Lower Fort at the time Johnson plundered the valley and the day previous to the murder of his fiancee, Catharine Marclay.

Sebastian France
did partisan service as scout and courier. Grandsons, Abram, Gilbert, Sebastian and William.

Zachariah Tufts
was enrolled in Bogart's company of Harper's regiment, from May to November, 1780. Previous to and subsequent to that enrollment he served under both Richtmyer and Hager as ranger.

James Turner.

Jesse Gilbert
resided in Dutchess county previous to the beginning of the Revolution and; became enrolled for Militia service in the Third Regiment under Captain Broadhead late in the year 1775. After expiration of term we find him again enrolled in Colonel John Hathorn's regiment and called out "on alarm at Minisink" in July, 1777. On the organization of the regiment "for the immediate defense of the State" under Lieutenant-Colonel Albert Pawling, we find him enrolled in that organization under Captain Gilbert. Livingston, April 27,1781. Soon after this enrollment he came to Schoharie county with a detachment and remained through the war. He soon became a favorite of Murphey and accompanied him in his expeditions, accepting and answering to the name of "Joot," bestowed by the bold Irishman. He participated in the action at Jefferson Lake; also escaped with Murphey by breaking through the line of Indians when they found themselves unexpectedly surrounded. He received a bayonet wound in the side and directly under the right arm during a charge in the engagement with the Indians and Tories under Butler. After the end of the war he married and became a farmer in the town of Harpersfield and later removed to a farm near the present village of Stamford, and added the occupation of miller to that of farmer. He afterward removed to and occupied a farm at the base of what is now called "Mount Utsyantho," where he died in the year 1838. Lies buried in the old burying ground in the westerly part of Stamford. He was the father of three sons and five daughters. Representative descendants living: Grandchildren, Francis R., Ebenezer, Jr., Betsey Churchill, Mrs. David Kennedy. Great-grandchildren, R Newell, Jesse B., Minnie E., Frank B., Samuel, Eliza H., Henry, William Kimball.


Copyright © Genealogy Trails