Addison
Steuben County
New York


 

Newspaper Tidbits

Roberts' Gazetteer

Gazette's Outline History



Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, And General History of the State, and a Complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village, and Locality. With Full Tables Of Statistics. By J. H. French. Syracuse, N.Y.: Published By R. Pearsall Smith 1860.



Pages 621-622.

ADDISON
 4 -- was formed, as "Middletown," in March, 1796. Its name was changed April 6, 1808. A part of Troupsburgh was taken off in 1808, Cameron in 1822, a part of Woodhull in 1828, and a part of Rathbone in 1856. It lies upon the s. border of the co., just E. of the center. The surface is mostly a hilly upland, broken by the valley of the Canisteo and its branches. The principal valley is about 1 1/2 mi. wide and is bordered by steep hillsides 300 to 400 feet high. The principal streams are Canisteo River, and the Tuscarora, Elks Lick, and Goodhue Creeks. Goodhue Lake, covering an area of about 500 acres, lies in the N.W. corner of the town. The soil is principally a clay loam, with strips of gravel and alluvium upon the streams. Addison, (p.v.,) situated on Canisteo River, contains 3 churches, a bank, several mills and manufacturing establishments. Pop. about 1,300. South Addison (p.v.) contains 18 dwellings. Addison Hill is a p.o. The first settlement was made by Samuel Rice, in 1791. The first church (M.E.) was organized in 1827, at East Hill. 2
     4 Named in honor of Joseph Addison, the English author. Called "Tuscarora" by the early settlers.
     1 Among the first settlers were Elisha Gilbert, Saml. and Reuben Searls, John and Isaac Martin, Wm. Wombaugh, Wm. B. Jones, Israel Chauncey, Jesse Rowley, Amos Carr, and Amos Towsley. The first birth was that of Stephen Rice; the first marriage, that of Brown Gillespie and Miss Gilbert; and the first death, that of James Martin. Wm. Wombaugh built the first sawmill, in 1805, and the first gristmill, in 1806. The first store was kept by Samuel Smith, and the first inn by Reuben Searls.
     2 The census reports 8 churches in town; 3 M.E., Bap., F. W. Bap., Prot. E., Presb., and R.C.