New York

                                   BLACK SHEEP


In memory of those Steuben County Residents who didn't always walk the straight and narrow.
If you suspect there is a "black sheep" in your family tree, and they lived in Steuben County, New York......
you may just find them here!

Jerome McBain

Robert Douglass

Bounty Frauds


Dr. K. Houck

AUBURN, (N.Y.) Aug. 23.
Tragical event. - We have the disagreeable task to record a most cruel murder of an infant of nine months old, in the town of Reading, Steuben county: Our informant who saw the child, relates to us the following circumstances: - A young man, son of a Mr. Isaac Baldwin, of Litchfield, (Con.) being deranged in his mind in consequence of disappointed love was sent to Mr. Elisha Ward, of Reading, (a friend of his father) in hopes that a change of situation would conduce to restore him to his senses. Unfortunately it had not the desired effect. He lately insisted upon going home to his friends, and made several attempts to escape, but on Mr. Ward's stopping him, and not suffering him to go, he got into a passion, and threatened revenge if not permitted - On Wednesday last, he accomplished his threat; he took Mr. Ward's child from the arms of a young woman, went out of the house took up an axe, and laying the child's head on a stump, which was before the door, deliberately cut it off! - What a dreadful agonizing specticale it must have been for the parents to see their beloved infant weltering in its blood; with its head severed from its body! Their feeling will be more conceived than described. This unfortunate young man appeared greatly affected, after he had committed the fatal deed. He confessed the murder, as we are informed, and said he did it with an intention, whilst the family was in confusion, to make his escape to Connecticut. Coroner's inquest Wilful Murder.
Windham Herald; September 7, 1809.

From the Richmond Enquirer.
The states, north and west of us, where slavery prevails, have been cursed with cases of this aggravated fraud, committed against the Liberty, not the property of a human being. But the Compiler of the 30th ult. drew our attention to a cace, the denouncement of which has taken place at our own doors.
     On Thursday, the 26th ult. a young man put up at the Swan Tavern in this city, dressed in domestic cloth of a brownish color. His name, as given at the bar, was Robert Hatfield. The next morning he departed; but in a few hours returned with a middle aged gentleman, who rode in a Jersey waggon, drawn by a pair of match roan horses, accompanied by three colored people, one of them apparently 16 or 17 years of age, the other boys from 10 to 12. The name of the new comer was Joseph M'Cormick. In the course of the day they met with two gentlemen at the Washington, to whom they offered the negroes at the reduced rate of $1750. The tender was accepted; and the next morning the negroes were conveyed to the Washinton, where they were put into a locked room, while the necessary arrangements were making in another apartment. The lowness of the price, however, excited some suspicion, that the negroes were diseased; and on going into their room, to investigate this matter, one of the purchasers was surprized to find them in tears. The cause was soon disclosed: that they were free, had been decoyed from New-York under various pretenes, and were apprehensive from their confinement that they were about to be sold as slaves.
     The subsequent events are soon told; M'Cormick attempted to make his escape, but was finally arrested and sent to jail. His companion adroitly decamped, but in a few days he too was taken up and committed to jail. Called courts have been held. M'Cormick sent on to farther trial. Hattfield has been discharged.
     We now understand, that these men are from a district represented in Congress by Daniel Cruger, esq.; that M'Cormick is from the county of Steuben, state of  New-York. It is said, that a few days ago Hatfield attempted to sell a small negro boy at Alexandria; but before the sale was consummated, the boy represented he was free. He was immediately seized, but effected his escape, leaving his intended victim behind him. A notice of this transaction was taken in the National Intelligencer of the 26th - which drew the attention of Mr. Cruger, who immediately repaired to Georgetown, and discovered him to be the son of a woman of color, whom he had known to be free, and who had been so before the birth of her son. This lad says that M'Cormick and the two Hatfields are in company, and that the three boys they have with them were decoyed away from New-York. It appears that by the laws of New-York, all children born there after the year 1788 were to be free, the boys at 28, the girls at 25 - and any attempt to export them entitles them to their freedom. Of course, if these lads were slaves, and purchased in New-York, they are by the laws of that state free. It is also represented, that M'Cormick, in September last, purchased a small black boy, 7 or 3 years old, in Steuben county, N.Y. - brought him out of the state, and is supposed to have sold him somewhere in the state of Maryland. - Measures have been taken to trace the boy, but as yet to little purpose. Joseph M'Cormick resides in the town of Painted Post, Steuben county, N.Y. - and Hatfield in the town of Elmira, Tioga county. 
New-York Columbian (New York, NY) Dec 14, 1818; pg. 2.

Distressing Accident
. - On Tuesday, the 8th inst. Mr. John Cornwell Smith, who resides in Troupsburgh, Steuben County, accidentally shot his wife. The particulars were related to us by Mr. Smith himself. On Monday morning the 7th, he discovered some deer in the meadow adjoining his house, and on Tuesday morning he arose very early with a view of endeavouring to kill them, but it being dark he went to bed again; some time after he got up a second time, and from his door saw a deer feeding, he immediately took down his rifle, but it was rather dark to shoot with certainty, he waited a few minutes. In the mean time he prepared his piece by fresh priming; and at the instant he was rising to go to the door to shoot the deer, his rifle accidentally slipped from is hands, and in endeavoring to recover it in his right hand struck the cock, when it went off, and the whole contents passed through the left shoulder and head of his wife, who lay sleeping in the bed with her child of about eleven months old in her arms, which was preserved from the fate of her mother. The feelings of the bereaved husband at this time can be better conceived than described. He seized his infant in a state of distraction, and carrying it ran to his father's about a mile distant, (being the nearest neighbor) and related the dreadful catastrophe. The neighbours immediately collected at the fatal spot, and found Mrs. Smith lifeless in bed. She was buried on the Thursday following. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were young people, they had not been married two years, and it is said they have always lived together in the most happy and agreeable manner. He appears to feel sensibly and deeply the full force of this afflicting dispensation. We hope this melancholy accident may have a tendency to make people more careful in handling fire arms - Nat. Adv.
The Pittsfield Sun; September 6, 1820.

Our readers will doubtless recollect an affecting article which went the rounds of the newspapers, respecting an accident, which was said to have occured in Steuben county, of John Cornwell Smith, formerly of this town, in shooting his wife; and no man of feeling can have forgotten the impessions which such a melancholy event was calculated to make on his mind. Reports have arrived in town, from good authority, that the body of Mrs. Smith, has been taken up, and it has been discovered that she had taken arsenic previous to having been shot. In the mean time Smith had disappeared and has since been heard of in Ohio. He is pursued and strong hopes are entertained of his being yet brought to justice. He is one day before his pursuers. - W. Courier.
The Freeman's Journal; Nov. 13, 1820.
BATH, Steuben Co., June 20.
     At a Court of Oyer and Terminer, held in this village last week, at which Hon. Wm. W. Van Ness presided, more business was completed than ever has been done within the same time in this county. Thomas McBurney, indicted for inveigling out of this state, to be sold, and who was sold as a slave in Louisville, Willis Watkins, a coloured boy - sentenced to pay a fine of $1000.
     William Helm - for carrying out of this state and selling in Kentucky, two negro children as slaves - sentenced to pay a fine of $100, and be confined in the county prison 6 months.
The Long-Island Star (Brooklyn, NY) Thursday, 12 Jul 1821; pg. 2.
Murder. - A few weeks since, Josiah Winfield, of Paulding, Steuben County, N.Y. called on Dr. Husten, for two portions of arsenic, to destroy rats, as he said. The Doctor suspected he intended to make an improper use of the poison, gave two emetics, and followed him to his, house, & observed him (through the window) feeding his infant child with one part of it, and urging his wife to take the other. - The Doctor being satisfied of the wicked designs of Winfield, rushed in and charged him with the intention of murder. His wife and child had been sick for some time past, and it seems this monster in human shape intended to destroy their lives and rid himself of the trouble of attending upon them. The child soon died, the emetic being too powerful for its debilitated frame. The fellow is safely lodged in jail at Bath. - N. H. Reg.
Norwich Courier; February 4, 1824.
BATH, (Steuben co.) July 28.
     Outrage. - On Friday last, as the lad who carries the mail between this and Canandaigua, was returning from the latter place, he was met about a mile and a half north of Rushville by two or three boys, who, after stopping his horse and abusing him for some time, let loose a large dog, and commenced throwing stones at him, and the horse being frightened, ran against a fence, threw the lad, and tore the mail bags entirely open, scattering the papers and letters on the ground, which he was obliged to carry to the post office in his hat and pockets. This outrage requires immediate investigation - and the boys concerned should suffer an exemplary punishment for  their conduct.
The Evening Post (New York, NY) Thursday, 4 Aug 1825; pg. 2.
Indian Murder.
Genesee Register, Sept. 28.
We understand that five Indians belonging to Squaka Hill, about six miles from this place, were committed to jail in Bath, Steuben county, on Thursday last, charged with the murder of Mr. Joshua Stevens, of Canesteo. We have not yet learned all the particulars of this tragical affair, though it appears that the Indians had gone to Canesteo for a fall hunt; two of them having procured a quanity of whiskey, had separated fromt he others, when Mr. Stevens, who was looking for his cattle, happened to be passing near the intoxicated Indians, was fired upon by one of them, named Old Sundown; the ball passed through his hand which was at the time on or near his hip, and through the abdomen. Next morning the body of Mr. S. was found on the spot where he was fired upon by the Indians from which it appears that he died instantly.
The few Indians who remain in this quarter, are in general civil, and peaceably disposed, especially towards white people - indeed this is the only act of lawless outrage committed by them on any white person, which we have heard of in many years.
Georgetown Gazette, October 18, 1825.

  A Mr. Birst beat out the brains of a Mr. Wagon, at Painted Post N.Y. both had been drinking freely.
New-Hampshire Patriot; Jan. 16, 1826.

Mr. Bird, of Painted Post, Steuben County, killed a Mr. Wagon, by literally beating his brains out, on the 31st ult. The deceased kept a tavern, and had been drinking freely.
Weekly Messenger (Boston, MA) January 19, 1826, pg. 1.
MURDER. - One of the most shocking murders on record was perpetrated on Monday, the 4th inst. in Dansville, Steuben county, by a fellow named Mallard, on the body of an old man named South. The circumstances, as near as we can learn, are as follows: - Mallard went to the barn of a Mr. Markham, where South was a work, dressing flax. He professed to be very much fatigued, and requested Smith to furnish a team, either to take him to his family in Howard, or bring his family to him. Smith said he had not team - that Mr. Markham had one, but was gone with it. Mallard was not satisfied, and insisted upon being obeyed. After some altercation, Mallard commenced beating deceased with a stick, to escape which, he ran towards the house, where Mallard overtook and knocked him down with a club, senseless. He then seized an axe, and deliberately chopped the old man's head off, cutting through the chin, so as to leave part of the jaw bone attached to the body. He then tore open his vest and shirt, and split him entirely open from his breast down; in which situation he left him, and started in pursuit of Mrs. Markam, who had crawled through a window and fled. She escaped, however, and rallied some neighbours, who pursued and caught the murderer. He is now lodged in our jail. - Bath (Steuben co) Advocate.
Ithaca Journal and General Advertiser, January 20, 1830. 
A coroner's inquest was held at Painted Post on Tuesday last over the body of William Comstock: verdict of the jury - "death by poison." The circumstances of the case are, as near as we can learn, these: Comstock was an intemperate man. The wife as appears from her own confession, received some time las summer from a neighbour, a quantity of arsenick for the purpose of killing rats, and which she did not know to be poison. She farther states, that at different times she had mixed portions of it with her husbands' liquor; and that the effect had been in each case to make him sick and wean him for a season from his intemperate habits - that in the last case, she had given him a much larger quantity, in hope of effecting a permanent cure; and that she pleads nothing but ignorance of the poisonous qualities of arsenick in extenuation. She is now in jail in this village, together with a pedlar by the name of Allen, who was arrested as an accessary, by aiding and assisting the woman to escape. - Farmers (Bath) Advocate.
Ithaca Journal (Ithaca, NY) March 10, 1830, pg. 2.
At a court in Steuben county, last week, Eliza Comstock was convicted of the murder of her husband, William Comstock, by administering to him arsenic. She was sentenced to be hung on the 23d July.
At the same court, Ashly Millard was tried for the murder of Dan Smith, and a verdict was given of manslaughter. He was sentenced to the state prison for life.
The New York Morning Herald, June 17, 1830.
Accident. -
A man named Abbey, was killed a few days since, in the south part of Howard, Steuben county, by being thrown suddenly from a wagon. A number of persons were in the wagon, and all said to be incited by ardent spirits.
New York Spectator (New York, NY) Tue, June 22, 1830; pg. 1
At the C.P. Court, held in this village last week, John Allen, whose escape, and subsequent recover we mentioned, was found guilty of being accessary (after the fact) with Mrs. Comstock, in the murder of her husband, and sentenced to the Auburn prison for 5 years. - Bath, Steuben Co. Advocate.
New-York Spectator, July 9, 1830.
On the 16th inst. In the town of Jersey, Steuben co., N.Y. Moses Kimbal was the unhappy occasion of the death of a daughter, aged 3 or 4 years. She approached, unperceived, too near where he was at work with an axe, when the fatal blow was struck on her throat, which instantly deprived him of one of his own offspring.
John Graham has been convicted of manslaughter Steuben Co N.Y. having in a fight, at a "husking bee," struck Levi Odell under the jaw, and broke his neck.
The Newport Mercury (Newport, RI) Nov20, 1830; pg 3.

An incident of the most melancholy nature occurred in the town of Burns on Monday the 2d inst. at a husking party, in the evening. After the husking was over, the party assembled in the road, near John Jones' tavern, and for amusement a number of songs wer sung. While singing, or immediately after, Levi Odell, one of the company, and who, as we are informed, was intoxicated, proposed going to prayer, and accordingly knelt down and commenced a mock prayer. Mr. Lamphaer, who was present, admonished him, telling him that such conduct was highly censurable, and requested him to get up from his knees. Odell immediately rose and commenced an assault upon Mr. L. who retreated and endeavoured to keep out of his way; but he was determined not to be foiled, and became quarrelsome and abusive. John Graham, brother-in-law to Mr. L. endeavoured to ast as mediator and quiet Odell. Odell became enraged, and after some words passing between them, struck and kicked G. once or twice, who retaliated, and the first blow he struck, him him just back of the left ear, on the temporal bone, and he fell and expired instantly, without uttering a word or scarcely breathing. Some present thought Graham kicked him after he fell, but the body was examined, and no marks of violence found upon it. On Tuesday a coroner's inquest was held upon the body, whose verdict was that "he came to his death by a blow from John Graham in self-defence." Graham gave himself up, and was examined before a Justice's court and bound over for trial.
Odell had been in the country but a short time, and was a man of intemperate habits. The circumstances attending his death afford a sad commentary on the baneful effects of ardent spirits. How awful the reflection, and it is one which should sink deep into the breast of every individual who is a slave to intemperance, that through its influence a fellow being is hurled into eternity without one moment's warning, and almost at the instant of insulting the majesty of Heaven, by turning to ridicule the most sacred of devotional exercises; an act at which he himself would have revolted in a sober moment. But for his intemperate habits, he might have been a blessing to his friends and the comunity. Village Chronicle.
Ithaca Journal; November 24, 1830.

From the Elmira Republican.
The Suspected Murder
. - A short time ago we gave an account of human bones being discovered in a hollow trunk of a tree near Johnson's settlement; and that a jury of inquest was called who had not (publicly) reported. The verdict was to the effect that the bones were those of Calvin Adams, believed to have been murdered by Moses Hall.
By virtue of the Coroner's warrant, he was arrested on Friday, last week, in Charleston, Tioga Co., Pa., by Deputy Sheriff Tuthill, and brought on Sunday last, to this village and lodged in jail, together with his son, Rice Hall, arrested at Adison, Steuben Co. by virtue of a justice's warrant. The examination of Rice Hall was commenced on Tuesday and continued on Wednesday before Justice Wisner, when the prisoner was remanded to jail to wait the attendance of other witnesses.
An examination of Moses R. Hall took place Wednesday before the Coroner, Mr. Saxton, when he also was remanded to prison for want of the testimony of witnesses from Pennsylvania, formerly residents in the neighborhood of the supposed murder. The examination will be renewed next week. Calvin Adams, it appears, was, about nine years ago, boarding at the house of Moses R. Hall and going to school. His sudden disappearance and some other suspicious circumstances produced quite an excitement at the time.
Soon after, Mr. Hall left the place, and the affair, in a great measure, had died away. The concurrent testimony of physicians is positive that the bones are human. As to the guilt or innocence of the prisoners we can give, at present, no opinion; but we shall keep our readers apprised of the facts of the case as they may be developed.
Various stories are told about Adams' going away, where he came from, and whither he went. If he is alive or has been heard of or seen since his disappearance, the fact would end the matter so far as relates to him. But how human bones should get into a stub, 14 or fifteen feet high, and whose they are, would still be questions of serious inquiry. Adams was about 19 years of age, and, of course mus now be about 28.
The pedlar of whom we spoke, is another man, whom rumor had identified with Adams, and about whom some surmises existed, that all was not right.
Jamestown Journal, October 7, 1835
BATH, (N.Y.) Sept. 21. - MURDER. - Mr. John F. Earskin was shot through the head while sitting in his house in Greenwood, in this county, on Wednesday evening last, about 8 o'clock. The window of the room being open, the murderer aimed his rifle at Mr. E. while sitting by the side of his bed; and the ball passing from near one ear to the eyebrow on the opposite side of the head, caused instant death. The family of the deceased were in the room at the time, and a daughter came near being hit with the ball. Two persons (Ira Apples and James Davis) have been committed to the jail in this village on suspicion, but as their trial will come on at the approaching circuit, we forbear mentioning any further rumors respecting the murder. - Bath Constitutionalist.
Evening Post (New York, NY) September 28, 1836; pg. 2.
Ira Apples, of Greenwood, Steuben co., has been tried and convicted of the murder of his father-in-law, John F. Erskin, in September last, and sentinced to be hanged on the 1st day of December next.
New-York Spectator, November 24, 1836.
THE undersigned certify, that they were present at the execution of Ira Appts, late of the town of Greenwood in the county of Steuben, who was condemned at the last court of oyer and terminer and jail delivery, held in and for the said county on the third day of October last, to suffer death on the first day of December last for the murder of John F. Erskin, and who was reprieved by the Governor of the state of New York until the day of the date hereof: that the said Ira Appts was on this day, between the hours of twelve o'clock at noon, and three o'clock in the afternoon hung by the neck until he was dead, by the Sheriff of the said county of Steuben, within an enclosure adjoining the prison of said county, and that the said Ira Appts was then and there executed in conformity to the sentence of the said court and of the reprieve of the governor, and according to the provisions of the act entitled "An act to abolish public executions, passed May 9, 1835." Dated at Bath in the said county of Steuben, this 19th day of January, 1837.
John T. Andrews, Sheriff.
Geo. C. Edwards.     John Cooper, jr.
H. S. Williams.      Paul C. Cook,
Ira C. Clark.       
Judges of the county courts of the county of Steuben.

E. Howell, District Attorney.
Wm. H. Bull, Clerk of Steuben Co.
R. Campbell, Jr. Surrogate.
Jason H. Stone, Under Sheriff,
A. D. Read, Deputy Clerk.
Henry Pier, Jailer.
Manning Kelly, E. B. Pulling} Physicians.
A. S. Palmer,       John R. Parkhill,
Nathan Osborn,      B. S. Brundage,
Cornelius Harvey,   Hiram Potter, Deputy Sheriffs.

Wm. W. Bostwick, Chandler Wheeler} Clergymen.

John Brown,         Oliver Rice,
Daniel Gorton,      Wm. Fenno,
Otto F. Marshall,   Saml. Buckingham,
John McBurney,      Jacob Teeple,
F. E. Erwin,        S. Andrews,
George W. Teeple,   Dexter Straight

Oliver Hallock,     Caleb Hallock,
C. H. Bennitt,      J. H. Thompson,
Geo. C. Nixon,      Thos. McBurney,
Asa Cross,          D. W. Wheeler
P. A. Harrison      J. M. Campbell
R. Lampman,         N. W. Gardner,
John Viele,         James French, jr.
Peter Swart         A. Beals,
Chester Whitaker,   Orrn Andruss,
Issacher Hughes,    D. M. Shipman,
George Norton,      Samuel Hendershot,
    Special Deputy Sheriffs and Constables.
Albany Argus (Albany, NY) Friday, Feb.10, 1837; pg. 3.

I HEREBY certify that a young woman by the name of FANNY SKINNER, came to the town of Painted Post, sometime last fall, and passed herself as unmarried. About the latter end of March last, she was married to the subscriber, and after living with him about 6 weeks, she informed him that she was married some three or four years ago, in the state of Michigan, to a man named James Spencer; and, on this ground she left my bed and board, without any other cause or provocation. Therefore, I forbid all persons harboring or trusting her on my account, after this date.
April 29, 1838.
Corning Jouranl (Corning, NY) Wed., May 17, 1848; pg. 4.
A gang of coiners have been detected in Steuben Co. About 4 weeks ago a man named Hoyt was arrested in the town of Wayne for stealing a yoke of oxen. In order to escape punshment, he gave the officers information of the whereabouts of extensive bogus manufacturers in Steuben Co. Sheriff Potter and constable Van Dusen started in pursuit, and 8 or 9 have already been arrested, among them are Mr. Burge and his 3 sons, living on the Bath road leading from Wayne Hotel. Dies and implements for carrying on the coining business upon quite an extensive scale were found in his barn. According to Hoyt's statement, they had made in three days false coin to the amount of $900. Henry Thompson, of Tyrone, and a lawyer named Lefforts, of Havana, are also among the arrested, and they have all been committed for trial, together with 2 or 3 others. The gang is represented to be very numerous, and warrants are issued and the officers are on the look out for the remainder. - The coin they issued were Spanish milled and American half dollars. - Penn Yan (N.Y.) Democrat.
The Pittsfield Sun (Pittsfield, MA) Sep 1, 1842; pg 1.
From the Steuben Courier.
Most Horrible Cruelty and Probable Murder.
A widow lady, of the name of Henry, is now confined in the jail of this county, charged in substance with the murder of an orphan girl of 6 or 7 years of age who had been placed under her guardianship. The accused resided in the town of Hornby.
The child came to its death the 11th of last January. Nothing was known of the sickness of the girl by the neighbors until the day of her death. The assistants in putting on the shroud, discovered that the hands were bandaged. Soon after the funeral some remarks dropped from Mrs. H. or some member of her family, which excited suspicion, which on enquiries being made from time to time increased to such an extent that she was arrested on the 11th inst., and underwent an examination, in which no positive proof of her guilt was elicited.
She was discharged, but circumstances were so strong against her, that the body was disinterred, a coroner's inquest held, which resulted in a verdict, that the child came to its death by violence and ill-treatment. On removing the bandages from the hands, all the fingers and one of the thumbs were ready to drop off, one of the middle fingers was missing. This the accused acknowledged dropped off before the child died. Each finger and thumb were done up seperately with a bandage and splint. This condition of the hands is said to have been caused by freezing, it being in proof that the child had been tied up and left in an open shop or room in extreme cold weather.
A bruise was found on the forehead, and sores, wounds and bruises were discovered on various parts of the body, some appearing to have been caused by burns or scalds, others by whips and heavy instruments used in unmercifully beating the child. Some of the wounds are nearly healed, others were ulcerated, and others appeared to have been of a recent date. All these wounds were dressed with cloths, and smeared with grease or ointment. From the appearance of the stomach and bowels, no nourishment had been received by the child for several days previous to its death. There can be but little doubt that the child was murdered by inches, commenced by most cruel and brutal punishment, and wickedly consumated by beating and starvation to avoid the detection of that brutality which must sooner or later have been exposed, had the child lived.
Steuben Courier, April 9, 1844.
   Two robberies were committed on board the steamer Knickerbocker on Saturday - Com D. Van Vranken, of N.Y., of a gold lepine watch, chain and key, valued at $64; and D J. Shaw, of Steuben Co. of a $40 gold watch. John Henry, a Ruffian of 30 years, was arrested for the first.
Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, NJ) Tue, Jul 1, 1845; pg. 2.

[From the (Bath) Courier.]
     As it is usual in such cases, there was considerable anxiety manifested by the spectators to catch a glimpse of the parties, particularly the aggrieved. They undoubtedly expected to see some blooming maiden, sighing like a furnace for the loss of her faithless lover, appealng to the strong arm of the law to protect her injured innocence, and render her little compensatin in dollars and cents for the irreparable injury, and last, though not least, teach all graceless scamps to be
careful in future, how they make promises to break them.
     But no, the plaintiff, though a maiden lady, was not young, nor was she strikingly beautiful, although she might be at the age of "sweet sixteen," in the eyes of a very passionate lover, but now, alas! the mischievous fingers of time had stolen many a charm, leaving unmistakeable and indelible evidence upon her features that she was several years, at least, on the blind side of thirty - i.e. thirty and upwards. Her appearance was respectable - her manner precise and dignified, her countenance indicating a fixedness of purpose, not to commit suicide or die of a broken heart - but to make her recreat lover pay roundly for trifling with her affections.
     The defendant was a widower, we should judge about 45, a plain sort of a farmer, with nine children, worth some $5,000 - which councel alleged was an important consideration with the fair plaintiff in bringing her suit, as well as listening to his on the start.
     It appears in the testimony that the defendant, soon after losing his first wife began to think of getting another - talked to the old women in the neighborhood about being lonesome - wanted a housekeeper - could'nt stand it so, &c., which as a matter of course, enlisted their sympathies. He finally stated his case to a Mr. Bolt - told him he wished to get married - did not like to marry a women with a family because he did not like two kinds of children, and for a reason altogether
dissimilar, he was unwilling to wed a maiden lady, unless of a certain or rather of an uncertain age.
     Upon this statement said Bolt intimated that Miss Mary Ann Rhodes or Polly, as he called her, would be just a fit, and consented to become a proxy, or a sort of conductor of mutual love and affection between the two - saw Miss Rhodes and made known his business to her, she exclaimed with some surprise and much apparent regret, "why could'nt I have known this before," for alack and alas, she was engaged to be married to another man in about a week. No time was to be lost - a personal interview of lovers was thought advisable - was had - when it was agreed by and between the said lovers, that the said Miss Rhodes should most unfeelingly and ungraciously sack her former beau after which she and the defendant were to become one flesh. This was accordingly done - we mean, the fellow was sacked - and like a true philosopher to show that there was no love lost, also that he was punctual in all his business transactions, wooed, won and wed another damsel in about a week after, so that he was
married at the time first appointed, though not to Miss Rhodes.
     Time passed on. Miss Rhodes carefully preserving the wedding dress prepared for the first occasion, for the second, and making some other preparations - but Mr. Miller, in the mean time, becoming enamored of a more youthful and blooming maiden, and in turn, gave Miss Rhodes the "mitten," for which she brings suit, &c.
     The proofs of the contract and the violation thereof, by the defendant, were clear and conclusive. Bolt and certain other ladies, cognizant of the facts, being quiet efficient witnesses, an admonition to all widowers and bachelors to do their courting in propria persona, and be careful how they trust their secrets to other's keeping.
     The defendant alleged, by way of defence, that the plaintiff came into the court with a bad grace to recover damages of him for practising upon her what she had played off upon another, and attempted to show in mitigation of damages, if not in bar of the action, the plaintiff's general bad character in the neighborhood in which she lived, that an improper intimacy had existed between her and the witness Bolt, for years; bu the proof of these allegations was not very conclusive, it seems to the minds of the jury, it being little more that a repetition of neighborhood gossip, and various surmises and insinuations of garrulous old women after having regaled themselves with Young Hyson.
     On witness, however, was brought upon the stand who swore to enough, but the jury it seems, would not believe him. His testimony, if true, showed him a most shameless villain - if false, a very dangerous one - and if the jury entertained any doubts of his having impeached himself, they were pretty effectually dispelled by the testimony of other witnesses.
     The proofs being closed, the cause was ably summed up, on the part of the defendant by W. Barnes, - eloquently by E. Van Buren, on the part of the aggrieved. His Honor, the Judge, committed the cause to the jury in a charge which showed him not insensible to the wrongs of lovely woman and the jury, after due deliberation, returned with a verdict for the plaintiff of four hundred dollars, to compensate her lacerated feelings, blighted hopes and crushed affections - the loss of a husband worth five thousand dollars, and - nine children.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) July 22, 1845; pg. 3.

Sad Affair.
An affray took place in South Dansville, in this county, on Monday, the 4th inst., between Mr. David J. Petrie and Mr. John Burgher, which resulted in the death of the former. In the course of the affray, Burgher threw a stone at Petrie, which struck him on the head and so fractured his skull that he died the next morning. Means, we understand have been taken, to bring the offender to justice. [Bath (Steuben) Courier.]
Roundout Freeman (NY) Aug 30, 1845.
SCUDDER AND BARTLETT. - In our last we mentioned a rumor that these individuals were arrested, and in Steuben county jail. On Thursday the Sheriff received a letter
from the District Attorney and Deputy Sheriff of that county, stating that Bartlett was in custody, and a man calling himself Cartright, from Roxbury, but they suspected it was Scudder. - [Delaware Gazette.]
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) October 7, 1845; pg. 1.

     We notice in the Delaware Gazette ten additional renunciations of anti-rentism. The excitement is gradually dying away, very little interest being now exhibited. The court have exercised considerable clemency towards the prisoners; many have been discharged and returned to their homes. It appears that the individual who gave his name as Cartright, arrested with Bartlitt in Steuben, and supposed to be Scudder, turns out to be Cartright in reality. Since the conviction of Vansteenbergh for murder, those that were indicted for the same offence have withdrawn their pleas of not guilty, and put in that of  manslaughter - all, we believe, in the 4th degree, except three, (Moses Earll in the 1st and two others in the 2d,) which please were accepted by the court. Earll has made his will, and does not, it seems, expect much leniency. At the last accounts Edward O'Conner was upon his trial for murder, and two more individuals had been arrested, charged with being participators in the death of Steele.
Rondout Freeman (Rondout, NY) Sat, Oct. 11, 1845, pg. 2
    The persons who went to Steuben co. to identify the person arrested there as Scudder, have ascertained the prisoner to be Cartwright, an Indian who had fled to that county. The other person in custody, Bartlet, has managed to get in jail in Steuben county for a local offence, since he has been there, and it is doubtless whether he will be surrendered. There is a reward of $200 for his arrest in Delaware, for Indian outrages.
Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, NJ) Monday, October 13, 1845; pg. 2.
It is said that the person recently arrested in Steuben co., and confined in the jail at Bath, was W. W. Scudder, the Delaware anti-renter, and that he was on Tuesday brought to Canajoharie in custody of an officer and from thence taken to Delhi.
Albany Argus (Albany, NY) Friday, October 17, 1845; pg. 3
MURDER AT HAMMONDSPORT, STEUBEN CO. - On Monday last a negro by the name of Pease, got into a quarrel with another, known in that region as "black Nero," and mutilated one side of his head with an axe. He struck him some three or four blows with the edge of the axe, cutting entirely through the skull, and removing small pieces. Notwithstanding the injuries, however, the negro survived some three or four days. The murderer was arrested and committed.
Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY) Thursday, April 23, 1846; pg. 2.
[From the Syracuse Daily Journal.]
     A THREATENING LETTER - ATTEMPT TO EXTORT MONEY. - A man by the name of Jonathan Goble was arrested in Howard, Steuben county (we believe) by officer House, and
committed to jail in this village on Monday, upon a charge of having written the following letter to Mr. Wm. K. Blair, for the purpose of extorting money. Goble, we understand is suspected of having set fire to Mr. B.'s barn some few weeks since. This offence, (of writing the letter,) if proved, is punishable by confinement in the state prison for a term ofnot over five years.
     STEUBEN CO, (N.Y) May 16, 1846.
     Mr. Wm. K. Blair:-I take the opportunity afforded to let you know the danger which you are in of being shot dead at your door, if you do not immediately give redress in the sum of fifty dollars, sent by mail, directed to John Hutchins, Hornellsville, Steuben co., N.Y.
     If you make the least hesitation about this matter, or make any investigation, there is a person near you by whom you are watched, and he, as soon as you do not comply with those requirements, with an unseen hand, will put an end to your existance.
     I am, sir, the man whom you would not pay, and because I told you I should take measures to get my pay, you assaulted and beat me most unmercifully, and too, my clothes from me, and the next day, as I was peaceably walking on the side walk by your door, you set your two dogs, John Hall and another devil, to murder me.
     I am at home on my farm in Howard, but have friends in Syracuse. If you do not submit, cold lead shall seek your heart, if it be not in fifty years.
(Here follows a cut illustrating a coffin.)
[Mailed at Howard, May 14; directed to Wm. K. Blair, Syracuse.]
     Goble has been indicted by the grand jury, and wil be tried during the present session of the court of common pleas.
     It is not a little singular that Mr. House, in searching Goble's premises, found the counter part to the half sheet of paper on which the above letter was written, which will be produced as evidence against him on his trial.
Albany Argus (Albany, NY) June 2, 1846; pg. 3.
Sentence of a Murderer. - Nero Grant, who was recently convicted of murder, in Steuben county, was brought into court on Wednesday and sentenced by Judge Bronson to be executed on the 26th of June next.
The Sun, May 22, 1847.
     Nero Grant, the negro who murdered James Peas in Steuben co., was hung at Bath last week. He was over fifty years old.
Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, NJ) Wednesday, July 7, 1847; pg. 2.
Horse Stolen.
STOLEN from the subscriber, in Erwin, Steuben County, N.Y.; on the night of Thursday, May 28, a CHESTNUT SOREL HORSE, with light mane, long tail, a star on his forehead, and a stripe on his nose. There is also a spot on one of his fore feet, where he has been corked. An person returning said horse, to the subscriver, will receive the above reward.
Erwin, May 28, 1847.
Corning Journal (Corning, NY) Wednesday, July 21, 1847; pg. 3.
Miss Emily M. Brewer, aged about 18, left her residence at Miss Abbey's Millinery, in this village, on Monday evening last, about 7 o'clock. She went to the Post Office at that time, since which no trace of her can be found, although diligent search has been made. She took nothing with her save the clothes she had on, and no cause can be assigned for her disappearance. She wore a light plaid dress, a black hood, and a red and black plaid shawl. Any aid in recovering her, or information of her whereabouts, will be thankfully received by her friends at Mr. I. Legore's, or at Miss Abbey's.
P.S. We learn that her body was found on the Lake shore, near the old Windmill, last evening, by some boys. It was partially covered with sand and rubbish. No marks of violence were perceptible. A Coroner's Inquest is to be held this morning. - Ontario Messenger.
Corning Journal (Corning, NY) Wednesday, April 12, 1848; pg. 2.
The Mysterious Death.
We briefly announced in our last that the body of Miss EMILY BREWER, who very mysteriously disappeared on Monday evening, had been found on the lake shore near the old Windmill, supposed to have been drowned. A Coroner's inquest was held on Wednesday, and after a patient investigation redered a verdict in substance that she came to her death by drowning, and by her own act. The deceased was 19 years of age, and was formerly a resident of Trumansburgh, Tompkins co., where her parents now live. For over a year past she had been in the employ of Miss Abbey, a milliner in this village, and on the evening when last seen alive, she called at the post office and enquired for letters for herself and a shopmate. Her body was next day discovered as above stated. There were no marks of violence upon her person, either external or internal, nor were her clothes disarranged more than from the action of the waves. The case was therefore undoubtedly one of suicide. Thus far no facts have come to light which would fix the immediate cause of her death upon any one, although from the testimony of medical men before the coroner's jury, there was no doubt but what she had been the victim of abduction. From the testimony of her brother-in-law, it appeared that he accompanied her, in August last, to a small town to the east side of Cayuga Lake, where she was taken sick, and remained about a week; and that during that time she was udner the care of one Dr. Dodge. Since her return from that place, according to the testimony of her associated, she had often appeared much depressed in her feelings, and expressed a wish that she was dead. She had been heard to say "that if she knew that she could fall asleep and never, awake, she should be happy." Her expressions were not however sufficient to excite any suspicion on their part that she intended to destroy herself. - Ontario Mes.
Corning Journal (Corning, NY) Wednesday, April 19, 1848, pg. 2.
From the Bath (Steuben County) Courier.
     A murder was committed at Corning, on the evening of the 30th ult, under the following circumstances:
     Bernard Madden, an ? and a wagon maker, had been riding with two girls, named Davis, sister of the deceased, and had been, as we learn, unpleasantly annoyed by the pursuit of a rival. Returning in the evening he left the girls at the residence of their father, near the Corning bridge, passed on to the village, and after putting out his horse returned, and knocked for admission at the house of Mr. Davis. Admission was at first refused him, but a little girl, scare ten years old, remarked that she knew who it was, and opened the door, when Madden discharged a pistol at her, which caused her death in a few hours. Madden, discovering what he had done, remarked that he did not intend to kill the little girl; but whether he was enraged because admission was refused him, and fired without intending to kill any one in particular, or intended to kill his rival, who was then in the house, is a matter of some doubt. He attempted to escape from the grasp of justice, and proceeded to Elmira, with the intention of taking the cars east, but he was overtaken and arrested by an officer, and is now in jail, in this place, awaiting his trial.
New-York Spectator (New York City, NY) Thursday, Jan. 17, 1850; pg. 3.

Murder at Hornellsville.
It becomes our painful duty to record the sudden destruction of the life of a fellow being in our village, at the hands of another, while under the influenceand highly excited by alcohol, that accursed demon, whose acts have
been more destructive to the comfort and happiness of the domestic circle than that of war, pestilence, or famine, Mr. Silas Beers, the keeper of a Bowling Saloon near the R. R. Depot was assaulted and killed by one Stephen Hogan, at about 10 o'clock, on Tuesday night last. The circumstances as near as we can learn them were as follows: Hogan, who had been drinking freely on calling fo more liquor was refusd by Beers; whereupon Hogan stepped into the bar and attempted to help himself, when B, in his efforts to drive him out, struck him over the head with a bottle. This so excited H. that he first threw a tumbler at Beers which missed him. Hogan then seized a bottle and struck Beers with it, or threw it, hitting him on the forehead; this was rapidly followed by another blow from a bottle on the side of the neck, when Beers instantly fell dead. Hogan then fled, but the officer sent in pursuit of him found him stealthily stowed away under a be, with a quantity of wood piled up in front of him. He was arrested, and after a careful examination yesterday, was committed to the County Jail for trial. Henry Mills, a colored lad, was also committed as being accessary to the murder, from the fact that he came into the saoon with Hogan, and at the time of the onslaught expressed language encouraging him to fight. A post-mortem examination of the body yesterday morning led to the conclusion that the fracture of the neck bone was the cause of his death.- Hornellsville Tribune.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wed., February 14, 1855.
SAVAGE ASSAULT. - Last Friday night Mr. ELI RUYNERS of this village was nearly killed by two men who attacked him on the railroad track, below the crossing in the eastern part of this village. The particulars as we
learn are as follows: Mr. R. is the same individual who was knocked down and stabbed some weeks since in the alley near his dwelling. On this last occasion, he had been below the village on business and was returning home about dusk when he met two Irishmen. They enquired if he was a Know Nothing. He made some civil reply, when one of them caught him by the collar. Having a cane in his hand Mr. R. warded the blow, when the cane was caught by the other man who struck him on the head. That is the last he was conscious of for nearly 12 hours. About eleven o'clock at night, some persons residing in that vicinity heard his groans, and proceeding to the spot found him lying in the ditch, nearly lifeless. He would doubtless have perished before morning. He was taken home and his injuries were found to be very severe, but he is now in a fair way of recovery. It is becoming a question whether it is not time to go armed. A little cold lead judiciously applied by Mr. Rhyners would have saved him from the hands of the ruffians, and served as a check to such murderous proceedings. - Corning Journal.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wed., March 14, 1855.
Suicide in Hornellsville. Hornellsville, March 26.
A man giving his name as Abercondee, about 30 years of age, comitted suicide at the Stafford House in this town, last evening by cutting his throat from ear to ear. He is supposed to have been insane.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wed., March 28, 1855.
George D. Stewart, pastor of a church at Bath, N.Y., has been indicted in the Steuben County Court, for an assault with intent to commit a rape upon the person of Mrs. Daniel
Dewitt of that place. A great crowd of "ladies" assembled at the court house to hear the evidence.
National Aegis (Worcester, MA) Wednesday, June 10, 1857; pg. 2.
Horse Stealing.
On the night of the 12th, James Baldwin had a horse stolen from his stable, about two miles South of this village on Plank Road. A young man by the name of McFall came to Rowley's Hotel on the same evening, and put up for the night; after eating his supper, and about 9 o'clock in the evening, he disappeared suddenly without paying his bill. On Sunday he cam back, paid Mr. Rowley for his supper, and stated that he went from there to Woodhull with his brother-in-law, who happened to come along. On seeing one of the advertisements stuck up in the bar-room, for the stolen horse and thief, he requested Mr. Rowley to read it to him, stating at the same time that the reward was too small - that he thought he could find the horse, and enquired of Mr. Gordon if the owner was good for the reward offered ($50.) This with other suspicious circumstances in and about Gordon's Store, caused a suspicion that he was the thief, which was communicated to Mr. Baldwin, who arrested him and brought him down to the village; it being Sunday, he was put in charge of Constable Smith, till Monday morning, when he was brought before Justice Dininny for examination. It was proved that a yarn mitten was found in the stall from which the horse was taken, the mate of which was found in the pocket of the prisoner. A candle, a shoe knife and a paper of matches were also found about him. Upon these circumstances the prisoner was bound over for his appearance to Court, in the sum of $500, and was committed to jail for want of bail. Henry Sherwood Esq. appeared on the part of the people, and J. C. Van Loon Esq. for Prisoner. After the examination the Prisoner was searched on a search warrant, before Z. L. Web Esq., when no less than six shirts were found upon him, three of which proved to belong to Chas. W. Robinson of this town; they were stolen the same night the horse was missing. No trace of the horse has as yet been found.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, April 18, 1855.
A COUNTRYMAN IN NEW YORK BY GAS LIGHT. - A countryman from Addison, Steuben Co. N.Y., named Henry Kinney, on Wednesday evening took advantge of his visit here to inspect the City by gaslight. He,
of course, looked in frequently at the gilded saloons where alchohol is sold in the shape of fancy beverages; and, either from imbibing too freely, or the noise and glare and hubbub in the streets, became rather, confused and oblivious. About his time in Broadway, a stranger succeeded in gaining the good opinion of K, and the two traveled around together, seeing the sights, until they eventually brought up at a crib, No. - Church St., kept by Piet Pelky, alias Buffalo Bill, where there was a good time, a large party, and Kinney was one of them. Finally, Kinney, believing his friend to be honest, and fearing there might be rouges about the great City, proposed to leave his coat, in which were $903 in money and a gold watch and chain. The articles were taken by some one for safe keeping and have not since been heard of. Buffalo Bill has since been arrested, but as there was no evidence to warrant his detention, he was discharged. The police of the Fifth Ward have the matter in hand, and will probably recover the money: if not, Mr. Kinney has seen New-York by gas-light at the moderate sum of $1,000. - Tribune.
We believe this gentleman lives at Rathboneville, 5 miles above our village.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, April 25, 1855.
Several forgeries have been perpetrated within the last few weeks in this county. James Straight, of Wheeler, forged notes to the amount of about $1,000, on a portion of which he obtained money, and absconded. James M. Minier, of Cameron, has lately been detected in the same business. To what extent his operations have been carried on, we have not learned. He has also "vamosed." Ransom J. Arnold, who committed a series of forgeries about a year ago, and who was so lucky as to be released from jail on bail, has fled, leaving his bail in the lurch. It is a somewhat singular fact, that of all the forgeries that have been committed in this county for the past few years, not one of the perpetrators hs been convicted. - Advocate.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, June 6, 1855.
Conviction for Manslaugher-Singular Case.
     At the last term of the Oyer and Terminer, in Steuben County, Lewis Peterson, of Hornellsville, was tried for manslaughter, in causing the death of Mrs. Burdick, of the same place, in Septmeber last. The facts of the case were these: - Peterson, whol lived with his father, in the house next Mrs. Burdick's went out in the morning to shoot a chicken which had escaped from the coop into Mrs Burdick's lot. Mrs. B. was in the garden digging potatoes for breakfast, and when Peterson fired, his piece "kicked," when the muzzle was raised so that the ball was carried as high as the third rail of the fence, and struck Mrs. Burdick, who died from the effects of the wound.
     Testimony was produced on the point whether  Peterson could have seen Mrs. Burdick, from the point where he fired, and also evidence of previous ill-feelings between the parties. Judge Smith (of this city,) charged the jury that there must be a conviction for manslaughter in the fourth degree, even if they were satisfied the prisoner intended no harm, for the reason that the act of shooting at the chicken on the land of Mrs. Burdick was an unlawful act, and therefore, under the statute, the killing could not be regarded as excusable homicide.
     The jury rendered a verdict of manslaughter in the fourth degree, and Peterson was sentenced to imprisonment in the county jail thirty days.
Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) Wed, May 12, 1858; pg. 1.

James H. Hotchkin, of Prattsburg, Steuben Co., bought a ticket on the Erie Railroad at New York for Rochester. It was marked “Good for six days only.” After the expiration of  “six days,” Mr. H. presented the Ticket between Bath and Rochester. It was refused, and he was ejected from the cars. He commenced a suit which was recently tried before References designated by the Supreme Court, and they have awarded the plaintiff $150 damages.

Augusta Chronicle (Augusta, GA) May 26, 1859; pg. 2.

     Four of the Schuyler County bond counterfeiters plead guilty at the recent term of the Court in Bath, Steuben county, and were sentenced to Auburn State Prison as
follows: - John H. Van Housen, four years; Richard W. Fowle, Garret C. Gould and James Clarkson, each two years.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) July 13, 1868; pg. 2.
     PARDON. - A pardon has been granted to Richard W. Towle, sentenced June 23d, 1868, from Steuben county, for forgery, to two years at Auburn Prison. The pardon of
Towle was recommended by the leading citizens of Steuben county, on the ground of previous good character and for other reasons. The application is granted, however, on
the personal statement of the District Attorney, by whom conviction was procured, (Judge McMaster, who sentenced the prisoner, joining in the statement and request)
that considerations of a public character demand the pardon of Towle, the principal offender in this care being now under indictment and his conviction being possible
only on the testimony of the prisoner Towle.
The Albany Argus (Albany, N.Y.) March 13, 1869; pg. 1.
June 1st - William G. Wright, convicted January 20, 1869 of forgery, 4th degree; New York; term five years - commuted to one year.
Recommended by Rev. J. Hendrick and a large number of reputable citizens of Steuben county (Wright's home) because of his good character previous to this offence and the belief that the punishment already indicted would answer the ends of justice and secure the reform of the prisoner. This is the first offence and his pastor says of him: "The subject of this petition has, until this occurrence, maintained an unblemished reputation, and has been distinguished as showing towards his mother all that filial regard which would be expected from a kind, faithful and affectionate son."
Albany Evening Journal (Albany, NY) Tue, Feb 15, 1870; pg. 1
March 11th - Richard W. Towle, convicted June 23d, 1868, of Forgery; Steuben County; term five years.
Recommended by many reputable citizens of Steuben County, on the ground of previous good character. The pardon is granted, however, on the statements of Judge and District Attorney that considerations of a public character demand it, in order that he may be used as a witness against the principal in this case, who is an old offender.
May 27th - Eugene Bassett, convicted April 14th, 1866, of robbery, Steuben county; term eight years - commuted to three years and six months.
Recommended by the District Attorney and other county officers of Steuben county, and by many leading citizens.
The prisoner, whose previous good character is shown, was led into the commission of this crime by an older man, who was the principal offender.
June 28th - Seba Darrin, Convicted February 20th, 1867, of burglary; Steuben county; term five years and three months - commuted to two years and six months.
Pardon in this case was strongly urged by Judge and District Attorney. The burglary consisted in breaking into a house of ill-fame by the prisoner and taking from the mistres a pistol, with which she was threatening him. The circumstances of the case repel the presumption of any intention to rob.
Daily Albany Argus (Albany, NY) Tue, Feb 15, 1870; pg. 2.

The Double Murder in Steuben County.
     The double murder of Mrs. Hess, at Wayland, Steuben county, reported by telegraph yesterday morning, has excited great interest where it occurred. All parties are
highly respectable, and members of the same church. We learn from a gentleman residing at Wayland, that the sad occurrence grew out of some church matters and idle
gossip in which the murderess, Mrs. Hess, though she was unkindly treated. She first shot Mr. Wm. H. Lewis, a highly respected citizen and the head of a family, and
then walked three-quarters of a mile to the residence of Warren Northrup, her brother, and shot him. Both the victims are dead. There are reasons to suspect the
woman was insane.
     The Rochester Democrat gives the following account of Mrs. Hess:
     We are informed by a regular practicing physician of this city, who knew Mrs. Hess for the last fifteen years, and who prescribed for her at various times during
that period, that he discovered in her, twelve years ago, what he then thought to be symptoms of delirium. She came to our informant to be fictitious and existing only
in the mind. She insisted on receiving medicne, and simple prescriptions were given her. During the war he did not counsel with her, but she would at intervals call on
some physician and describe to him the same symptoms. About five years ago she renewed her visits, and she called upon the physician in this city at intervals up to the
18th of last October. The complaint was always the same. Since last November she has been in this city once every two weeks for treatment. From her own conversation it
was plain that her mind was affected. She always appeared despondent when she called, and would say at intervals that she knew she would die soon or do some desperate
act. The last time she called, she said she would have to pay a few hundred dollars about the 18th of January, which was a debt contracted by one of her relatives.
The brother whom she killed has, it is said, been supported by her for a long time, and she alluded to the fact several times as though she felt it an imposition on her.
The disease shich she believed afflicted her has impaired her general health and probably produced a mental derangement which led to this fearful tragedy. The
unfortunate woman has a son about sixteen years of age.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) January 23, 1871; pg. 1.
June 10th. - Patrick Kirley, convicted April 12th, 1867, of assault with intent to kill; term five years and two months; county of Steuben; commuted to three years and eight months, with legal deduction for good conduct.
Pardon recommended by district attorney and many citizens of Steuben county. In view of the circumstances of the case and the previous character of the prisoner, the sentence imposed seems excessive.
Daily Albany Argus (Albany, NY) Mon, Feb 6, 1871; pg. 2.
     Mrs. Hess, the Steuben county murderess, who committed the double murder a few weeks ago by killing William Lewis and Warren Northrup, her brother, has been pronounced insane by a Commission of physicians. Dr. Gray, of the Utica Insane Asylum, was a member of the Commission.
Albany Argus (Albany, NY) March 9, 1871; pg. 2.
Crimes and Casualties.
A party of rowdies set upon a drunken man named Elijah Jordan, at Hornellsville, Steuben county, the other day, and finally one of them, John Manhart, seized Jordan, pretending to be a policeman. The result was that Jordan drew a knife and stabbed Manhart in the breast, inflicting a wound of which he died last Thursday.
The Times (Troy, NY) Sat, March 15, 1873; pg. 3.
A Business Man Commits Forgery - Then Deserts His Family - His Wife Shot Dead at Midnight by a Woman.
     On Tuesday last a man named Lyman Arnold, a business man at Avoca, Steuben County, N.Y., left the town without informing his wife or friends of his departure,
and before night it was discovered that he had forged notes and checks to the amount of $900, and had obtained the cash on them. He was the husband of a very estimable woman, his second wife, and is the father of four or five children. From some words he let drop the day before, it was thought that he had started for Detroit, and a telegram was sent here. The Chief of Police gave the case to Detective Bishop, and the detective began working it up. After sending the telegram the route taken by Arnold was more exactly ascertained, and Deputy Sheriff E. B. Higgins, of Avoca, started on the trail. He was fortunate to find the forger at Niagara Falls, just as he was preparing to come West, and took him back to Avoca, arriving there on Thursday, to find that a mysterious murder had been committed during his absence.
     Living in the village was a young woman named Emeline Tower, who had once worked for Arnold as a domestic. There was talk that the two were more intimate than
they should have been, and the village gossip had created unpleasantness in Arnold's family, so that Miss Tower did not visit the house and was not on speaking terms
with Mrs. Arnold. There was, however, no suspicion of a separation between husband and wife, or of the horrible crime to grow out of the scandal. Arnold was supposed
to be an honest man, and there were those who took his side and defended him. On Wednesday night, about midnight, Mrs. Arnold, who was sleeping alone, was aroused by having a bullet shot into her head, which passed out of her mouth. As she sprang up, a person in the room fired two more shots, both taking effect in Mrs. Arnold's
body, and both producing fatal wounds. There was no light in the room, but in the darkness Mrs. Arnold heard the rustle of a dress, and saw a female figure. As soon
as the wife fell back dying, the figure fled.
     It was some time before any of the children came down stairs, they having been chloroformed, as was afterward ascertained. They aroused the neighbors at once,
and the dying woman made her statement about thefemale figure, though at the time it was thought she was out of her mind and was speaking at random. It was found that
the person who had committed the deed had effected an entrance by climbing upon the kitchen roof, and then raising one of the chamber windows, of the house. Miss Tower
knew of this route, but no one else outside of the family.
     On Thursday morning, after the murder had become known throughout the village, and after she had discussed the affair in common with others, Miss Tower took the
cars for Detroit. This circumstance, in connection with the hint dropped by Arnold that he was coming this way, led to the belief that the two were connected with the murder, and were going off together.
     A telegram was sent here asking that the woman be watched. She arrived here on Saturday morning and registered herself at the Case House under the name of Mrs. Hunt. The same morning a trunk belonging to Arnold arrived by express marked "Mrs. L. Hunt, Case Hotel, Detroit," indicating that the pair had arranged their plans
together and were to meet here. Arnold, of course, did not reach here, being under arrest. The woman waited until Saturday, and then perhaps thinking that he had been captured, she took the train to Dexter, and from there drove out to her uncle's seven miles North, in the township of Linden. Detective Bishop had kept track of her movements, and when Sheriff Higgins arrived here on Saturday night the detective was ready to go with him.
     On Sunday they went to Dexter, and then procuring a carriage drove to Linden, reaching the house were Miss Tower was stopping two hours after the family had
retired. She was called up and arrested, but was least excited of the three, bearing herself coolly, and not even exhibiting any curiosity to know the charge against
her. In her trunk was found a revolver with three empty chambers, and the ball brought along from the scene of the murder was an exact fit for the weapon. Further than
this, she had a bottle partly filled with chloroform.
     On her way into the city was informed of the murder and of the arrest of Arnold but she had few questions to ask, no excuses to offer for her conduct, and up to yesterday noon, when she started for New York, she did not shed a tear. The woman is twenty-six years of age, of medium height, and quite handsome. The sheriff is positive that she is the midnight stranger who did the shooting. - Detroit Free Press, Nov. 10.
New York Commercial Advertiser (New York City, NY) Thursday, November 13, 1873; pg. 1.
Wednesday, August 19th.
 Byron G. Sanford, a cattle drover of Troupsburg, Steuben county, entered his brother's store in that village last Friday night with a loaded gun. As he sat the gun down with the muzzle upwards it was discharged, the charge entering his mouth and killing him almost instantly. Mr. Sanford was about forty years of age, and left a wife and two children.
The Times (Troy, NY) Thu, Aug 20, 1874; pg. 2.

The town of Troupsburg, Steuben county, N.Y. has its tragedy. A Miss Hendricks, the accomplished daughter of a well-to-do farmer, fell in love with a young man of good education and fine form; but his brutal disposition after a few years of married life drove the girl and her two children back to her home. Here the infuriated husband followed to claim his children, but was met and shot in his track by her brother, who now lies in Bath jail for murder.
St. Albans Messenger (St. Albans) July 16, 1875; pg. 7
The trial of Eugene Hendricks, at Corning, N.Y., on Saturday, for the murder of his brother-in-law, W. H. Dildine, at Troupsburg, Steuben county, last June, was concluded. The defence of insanity was set up, and Hendricks was acquitted.
Pomeroy's Democrat (New York, NY) Sat, Nov. 27, 1875.
Names of persons pardoned by Governor Robinson
Albany, May 11, 1877.
Patrick Maloney, Steuben county, robbery, five years.
New York Herald (New York, NY) Sat, May 12, 1877; pg. 3.
Fatal Quarrels.
Elmira, N.Y., May 25. - Charles Wright, son of the landlord of the Steuben Hotel at Bath, N.Y., was murdered yesterday morning by an hostler named White. The latter gave himself up, claiming that he did the act in self-defense.
Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL) Sat, May 26, 1877; pg. 4.
The Blame for Burning the Poor.
BATH, N.Y., April 12. - The coroner's jury reached a verdict in the case of the burning of the insane building of the Steuben county poor house Saturday night and the loss of sixteen lives. They exonerate Keeper Eli Carrington, but censure the citizens of the county and the Board of Supervisors for not having provided safe and suitable accommodations for paupers; censures the Superintendent of the Poor for not having provided a better mode of egress and fire apparatus, and for not having removed Ford, the Insane incendiary, to the asylum. One juryman brings the supervisors in guilty of manslaughter in the fourth degree. An appropriation to erect suitable buildings is recommended.
Cleveland Leader (Cleveland, OH) Sat, Apr 13, 1878; pg. 6.
ELMIRA, March 27 (Special). - N. B. Chase, of Avoca, Steuben County, was robbed of $1,200 last night. Suspicion pointed to two boys, Arthur Sheets and "Con" Chase. The youngsters, each nineteen years old, who were well up in yellow-covered literature, armed themselves with revolvers and bowie-knives and fled, their destination being the plains of the west. They were captured at Savona, about fifteen miles from here, and locked up in jail at Bath. Most of the money was recovered on their persons.
New York Tribune (New York, NY) Mon, Mar 28, 1887; pg. 1.
Crane Slew Another Man's Wife
     BATH, N.Y., Oct. 23 - The trial of Emmett Crane for the murder of Mrs. Jane Perry last Decoration day in Addison, was begun. Gaylor Perry, husband of the murdered woman, testified that he and his wife met Crane at a revival meeting two years ago and invited him to their house. He boarded with them for several weeks, but matters did not run smoothly and Crane was told to leave. Lizzie Perry, a daughter, testified that on Decoration day Crane came to the house and called her mother out. He asked her if she would go away with him. She said she would not, and Crane drew a revolver and fired. Other witnesses testified that Crane had said he loved Mrs. Perry; that he wished he was dead or had never seen her, and that he had acted strangely at times. It is supposed the defense will be insanity.
Trenton Evening News (Trenton, NJ) October 23, 1890; pg 2.
An Attorney of Cohocton, N.Y., Whose Departure is Generally Mourned.
CORNING, N.Y., Jan. 8 - Frank M. Conley, a leading member of the Steuben County bar and a leading citizen of Cohocton, has disappeared. It is believed he has betrayed judiciary trusts and the confidence of friends and left debts of $100,000. Conley has been in the habit for years of spending three or four days of each week in Rochester and Buffalo, where he was believed to have important business interests, which required his close personal attention. He did not return home as usual week before last, and nothing has been heard of him since. Conley's disappearance followed closely on the coming to Cohocton of Mrs. Rosenkrans, of Albany, Ill., formerly of Cohocton, who is guardian of the heirs of the Rosenkrans estate, of which Conley is the executor. Mrs. Rosenkrans for years had been endeavoring to get a settlement with Conley, who successfully put her off with various pleas until she came to Cohocton to force a settlement with him. The amount due the heirs from Conley as executor and trestee is between $8,000 and $10,000.
Chicago Herald (Chicago, IL) Jan 9, 1891.
Thieves Steal Cash and Bonds.
ELMIRA, N.Y., Feb. 3. - The bank at Addison, Steuben county, N.Y., was entered by professional thieves Sunday night and several thousand dollars in cash, besides a number of valuable papers and government bonds, were stolen. There is no clew to the thieves.
Muskegon Chronicle (Muskegon, MI) Thu, Feb 4, 1892; pg. 6.
Andrew Eveland, proprietor of a hotel at Adrian, in Steuben co., on Monday, Oct. 2nd, was shot through the head by his son, Alfred, and killed. The victim was about 60 years of age, and formerly lived at Bath and Savona. The son is about 35 years of age and is a worthless fellow. He and his father had quarreled, the latter attempted to strike the former with a beer faucet. The son ran up stairs and got a revolver and upon his return sent a bullet crashing through his father's brain. He is under arrest.
The Watkins Democrat (Watkins Glen, NY) Thursday, october 12, 1893.
In the shooting of a hotel man, named Eveland, at Adrian, Steuben Co., last week, by his son - the father having since died - Eb. Booth, of Watkins, happened to be there, and is the only witness of the tragedy. The Sheriff of Steuben has been after Eb., and now has him in detention at Hornellsville as a witness - and he will probably be so held for some months - or until after the murderer's trial.
The Watkins Democrat (Watkins Glen, NY) Thursday, october 12, 1893.
Mrs. Helen Cheesman has begun a suit for separation from Frank Cheesman, to whom she was married on February 24. She is the daughter of Charles Kirchner, of 319 Ellery-St., and is onnly eighteen years old. Her husband is the son of a hotel proprietor at Addison, Steuben county, where they lived after the marriage until May 6. She says her husband objected to her wearing light dresses and flowers in her hat, and that he finally induced her to visit her parents, saying that by being apart they might "learn to be used to each other." After she had been in Brooklyn a few days he wrote to her that he had gone West, and would not return unless he could return a free man.
Mrs. Cheesman then began the suit for separation, and an order for the arrest of her husband was secured yesterday.
New York Tribune (New York, NY) June 13; 1894; pg. 11

An Executor of a $55,000 Estate Mysteriously Absent.

     Bath, N.Y., March 31. - W. W. Allen, who until a couple of weeks ago was cashier of the First National bank here, failed to appear on a court order relating to the Lock estate of $55,000, of which he was executor, and of which but $5,000 can be found by the heirs. Allen has not been seen here in several days and circumstances indicate that he has left the country.
Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, NJ) March 31, 1896; pg 4.
Elmira, N.Y., Dec. 24 - A special dispatch to the Advertiser, from Rathbone, Steuben county, N.Y., says that at 10:30 to-night, William Harrington was shot and instantly killed and Wm. Allen mortally wounded by Floyd Myers. Both of the men had been drinking and the victim of the shooting accused Myers of stealing a wagon robe, and drove to his house and demanded it, when he walked out of the house and opened fire on them with a shotgun. Allen fell from the wagon while the horse ran away with the body of Harrington, which remained in the wagon. Myers is a bad character, having once shot a man at Addison. He is at large at midnight, but the sheriff's officers expect to catch him before daylight.
Daily Charlotte Observer; December 25, 1896.
Charles Keifer had a horse and wagon stoled from under a shed at Cohocton Friday night.
Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) June 12, 1900; pg. 6.
     Unable to give a $1,200 bond, Charles Smith, fifty four years old, has been taken to the Bath Jail, there to await the action of the September grand jury. He is charged with kidnaping, a grave offense in this state, and punishable by not less than ten years in prison. He is alleged to have stolen Larabellle Clark, eight years old, and taken her to Pennsylvania. At first, Smith denied all lnowledge of the child, but finally produced her. Smith worked for John Keenan, the contractor, androomed at the home of D. G. Clark in Hill Street. Last Sunday the Clarks went for a walk and when they returned Smith and the child were missing. They were traced to Wellsville and the police there were asked to arrest them. The Wellsville police reported they could not be found. All the time the man and child were ocupying a room at the Howell house, remaining there until noon of the following day, when they took a train for Galeton. Smith says he was attached to the child and thought he could give her a better home than she had here. He offers that as justification for stealing the little one. He does not appear overly strong mentally.
Newspaper clipping - unknown date/paper.
The Coroner's Jury Find He Came to His Death from Criminal Violence from McSweeney.
     The coroner's jury that has been investigating the death of Edward News reached the following verdict:
     "We find that said body inspected by jurors to be that of Edward News, late of Steuben county, town of Bath, and state of New York. That he came to his death on November 5 at the hospital of the New York State Soldiers' and Sailors' Home from wounds inflicted by some sharp instrument in the hands of Daniel McSweeney, with criminal intent, at the Hotel Girard in Belfast street, the night of November 3, 1903."
     News' ante-mortem statement was introduced in evidence, in which he criminally implicated McSweeney. The verdict was signed by the jurors as follows: William V. Longwell, foreman; James L. Grogan, Sigmund Rothschild, Jacob Hersh, O.J. Heinaman, Hugh Caffrey, Frank Easterbrooks, John W. Lindsay, William Y. Scrafford, William H. Simmons, Geo. W. Murry, 2d. McSweeney was represented by his attorney, William H. Grogan, and appeared not in the least disturbed by the verdict. District Attorney Burrell, of Canisteo was present in the interest of the people.
Manslaughter Charged.
     At the conclusion of the inquest, Coroner Hasson at once registered formal complaint against McSweeney before Recorder Frederick L. French. McSweeney was immediately arraigned and his attorney asked for a further examination. The charge was manslaughter. The recorder granted a further examination and it was set down for Saturday morning. McSweeney's case will probably be considered by the grand jury at its session in Bath at the January term of Supreme court. Coroner Hasson has been unable to find the knife with which the stabbing was done.
The Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) Nov 25, 1903.
Daniel McSweeney Given Eight Years in States Prison.
Dramatic Scene at Conclusion of His Trial for Manslaughter - Judge Parkhurst on the Bench.
     Bath, May 28. - "The sentence of the court is that you be confined in Auburn State Prison for a period of eight years," were the concluding words of Judge Clar as he pronounced sentence on Daniel McSweeney, the old veteran, who was found guilty of manslaughter in the second degree by the jury that sat on the case. It was a dramatic scene that was presented in the court room as the gray haired old man stood before the bar and heard the words of the judge that will deprive him of his liberty, perhaps for life, as he is now 78 years of age, and is in a feeble physical condition from organic disease of the heart.
     "My God, it's awful," said McSweeney, as he took his seat.
     In answer to the usual questions put by the clerk he said he was 78 years old, was born in Ireland, resided in Bath, was single, mason by trade, received common school education, parents dead, intemperate at times, never been convicted of a crime. After conversing a few minutes with his counsel, McSweeney was taken back to jail.
     Before leaving the court room the old man pleaded with his counsel to appeal the case. He is without money to defray the expense of an appeal, and it was said that if his comrade friends at the Soldiers' Home raised sufficient money, which would be about $100, an appeal might be taken.
     As soon as court convened Captain John F. Little, counsel for the prisoner made an argument in the latter's behalf, saying that the jury in rendering its first verdict of manslaughter in the third degree, rendered a special verdict, which constituted no crime that is recognized by law in this state and was in fact and in law an acquittal. He cited cases to uphold his contention. District Attorney Burrell opposed the motion and it was denied by the court. Counsel for the prisoner then asked for a certificate of reasonable doubt, which the court said he would consider later. Supreme Court Justice John F. Parkhurst, of Bath, sat on the bench with Judge Clark during the argument of the counsel and while sentence was being pronounced.
     In sentencing the prisoner, Judge Clark said: "Mr. McSweeney, you have had the advantage in this case of very able counsel, who have worked faithfully for you. Counsel has been provided at the expense of Steuben county. You have had a fair trial before an exceptionally intelligent and fair jury, and they have rendered a verdict and the court can not see how they could have rendered any other verdict upon the evidence that was brought out here. It is painful duty to the court to be compelled to impose sentence upon any person, and particularly upon a man of your age, and the maximum sentence will not be imposed, but the offense that you have been convicted of is a very serious one. The jury has said you are guilty. That verdict was founded upon ample evidence and it is the duty of the court, however much sympathy the court might have for you, to see that the laws are enforced, and the sentence of the court is that you be confined in states prison, at Auburn for eight years."
The Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) May 28, 1904; pg. 5.
Edwin Killiekup is in jail in Bath awaiting the disposition by the September grand jury of the charge of attempting criminal assault and theft. Killikup is about 21 years of age, and was committed from the town of West Union.
The Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) July 16, 1904; pg. 8
Deputy Sheriff Tracy of Steuben Co., N.Y., after Burglars. Deputy Sheriff John Tracy of Steuben County, New York, arrived in this city yesterday morning with extradition papers to remove Robert Richards to Corning, where he is wanted on the charge of burglary. In company with another boy of his own age, Herbert Thomas by name, Richards broke into the store of Benjamin Young in Corning. They boarded a coal train and came to this city. The police here had been notified by the authorities of
Corning and caught Richards but a short while after he reached the city. Young escaped. The former was committed to jail to await extradition papers.
Scranton Republican (Scranton, PA) Sun, 31 Jul 1904; p. 5

Valuable Team of Arthur Bump of Cameron Stolen From Sheds in Bath Saturday Night and Later Abandoned When Followed by the Sheriff's Posse.
     A team belonging to Arthur Bump a farmer of Cameron which was stolen from the Steuben hitching sheds in Bath Saturday night, was found wandering without a driver near the home of Thomas Tigue, south of Bath Sunday night, about four miles from the Bump farm. The horse blankets were missing from the carriage, also a quantity of groceries.
     Bump and his brother drove seven miles to Bath Saturday night and left their team in the sheds in the heart of the village. At 11 o'clock at night they found the team missing.
     Sheriff Davison was immediately notified and he at once went to work on the case with deputies, and found that the team had been seen at 9 o'clock three miles east of Bath village. The officers evidently made it too warm for the horse thieves who abandoned the team. They have not been apprehended.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) March 9, 1910.

Inquiry Holds Intoxicated Engineer Responsible for Forty Deaths.
     ALBANY, N.Y., January 10. - The engineer had been drinking the night before and had slept less than three hours: hence the wreck on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad at Corning, N.Y., last Independence day, in which forty persons lost their lives and seventy-five others were injured.
     The state public service commission so declared today after a careful investigation. William H. Schroeder, the engineer thus accused, was indicted for manslaugher in Steuben county, but never brought to trial, the Indictment being dismissed upon motion of the district attorney.
     "The primary cause of the wreck," reads the commission's report," was the entire failure of Engineer Schroeder to observe signals."
Cleveland Leader (Cleveland, OH) Jan 11, 1913; pg. 5.
Governor Replies to Statement of President Truesdale on Full Crew Bill
     Albany, N.Y., April 7 - "You put the dollar above the man; I put the man above the dollar," declared Gov. Sulzer today in answering the published statement of President Truesdale of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad that the wreck at Corning las July was not attributable to too few men in the engine crew.
     "You tell me the full crew bill will cost your company some additional dollars, but, when the public recalls that your stock is paying 55 per cent, your outraged feelings will not excite widespread sympathy," said Sulzer.
     To Truesdale's charge that the engineer in the Corning wreck escaped punishment because of some political bargain, Gov. Sulzer replied by ordering District Attorney Smith of Steuben County to investigate at once and call upon Truesdale for information.
Springfield Daily News (Springfield, MA) Apr 7, 1913; pg. 3.
     Albany, April 16. - Charles H. Knipp, of Elmira, counsel for Wm. H. Schroeder, in a letter to Gov. Sulzer, denies that the indictment found against Schroeder in Steuben county last fall, charging manslaughter in connection with the Corning wreck on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railroad last July, was dismissed by reason of "a political deal," as has been charged. Schroeder was engineer of the train, the wrecking of which caused the loss of 41 lives. He recently was reindicted.
Watertown Daily Times (Watertown, NY) Apr 16, 1913; pg. 11.
NEW YORK, Sept. 20-Patrick Reilly, arrested in Adrian, Steuben county was brought here today to answer a charge of murdering Margaret Cooney, in New York on June 25,
Reilly's capture was due to the persistence of Frank Allen, a local policeman, who continued work on the case after he had been removed from the detective force. Allen continued his investigation of the murder on his days off.
Lexington Leader (Lexington, KY) Saturday, September 20, 1913; pg. 2.

Corning, N.Y., Sept. 17. - Elmer Hill of West Union, Steuben county, on trial for murder in the first degree at  Coudersport, Pa., for the stabbing of Clinton LSolomon of Gold, Pa., last May, was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter today. Sentence has been postponed.
Watertown Daily Times (Watertown, NY) Sep. 17, 1915; pg. 4.
The law suit between Robert O'Dell and Will O'Dell was tried at Hornell on Wednesday. Robert sued his brother Will for two notes, one 22 years old and one 17 years old
which he claimed had never been paid. After the evidence had been given by both sides the case was given to the jury and they were out just fifteen minutes and brought in a verdict of "no cause of action."
The Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) Wed., June 11, 1919; pg. 6.
John M. Tomb and Daughter Were Former Residents of Tioga. John M. Tomb, aged 76, and his daughter, Mrs. Hannah Padgett, aged 26, of Urbana, N.Y., were shot by John Lee, aged 44, who then shot himself twice, Friday evening about 7:20 o'clock. Lee, in a serious condition at
the Bath hospital, admitted shooting Mrs. Padgett but said he did not remember shooting Mr. Tombs. The shooting followed an argument  between the young woman and the neighbor farm hand, Lee, who pulled the .38 calibre revolver from his hip pocket and grabbed Mrs. Padgett by the arm. A scuffle ensued during which the young woman called to her father and as the aged man appeared in a doorway the enraged lover shot him through the heart. As the daughter started to run. Lee shot her through the back and as she fell to the floor in an adjoining room he knelt beside her, placed the gun above her head and shot a second time. He then placed the gun against his chest and attempted to end his own life. A few moments later he shot himself a second time, both bullets plowing into his chest. The Tomb family home is on Hammondsport R.D. 2, near the hamlet of South Pulteney. Lee, who had resided in the vicinity since September, lived alone in a tenant house on the George Madison farm. He came to the vicinity from Rochester last fall to work in the grape harvest and since that time had been employed at various jobs. The man originally came from Saginaw, Mich., and little was known of him about the community. Mr. and Mrs. Tomb had resided near South Pulteney for four years, removin there from Tioga county, Pa. This is the fifth homicide in Steuben county since October 21, when the VanCise brothers, Frank and William, were found murdered at their Beeman Hollow shack. The second was the shooting of Loren Easton by Harry Wynes, at Riverside, on Armistice night. The murderers of the VanCise brothers have not been found, although county officials are still working on the case. Harry W..... grand jury on a murder charge. Hannah
Tomb Padgett was born in Tioga, Pa., Feb. 16, 1906. she lived with her family in Tioga county and removed with them to Urbana. She was married 11 years ago to George Padgett, of Tioga, and to them were born three children, John, aged 10; Alice, aged eight, and Doris, aged six. Mrs. Tomb stated Friday night that Mrs. Padgett separated from her husband several years ago when they were living in Tioga county. John remained with his father, who, the family stated, is still livng in Tioga county. John M. Tombs was born near Jersey Shore, Pa., Oct. 25, 1856. He attended schools in Jersey Shore and spent his entire life in farming. He was married in Wellsville, July 1, 1896. The present Mrs. Tomb was his second wife, his first wife having died many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Tomb moved from Wellsville, Mrs. Tomb's home, to Slate Run, Pa., and later to near Jersey Shore. About 10 years ago they moved to Tioga County, where they engaged in farming. Mr. Tomb is survived by his wife and 10 children, one by his first wife and nine by his second. Ferd, his son by the first marriage,
resides in Wellsboro. Mr. Tomb is survived by six sons, Francis, of Jasper; Henry of Springwater; Hugh, of Prattsburgh; Walter, U.S. Army at Honolulu, and Jerry, of Rathbone; three daughters, Mrs. Gordon Hunter, of
Rochester; Mrs. James Abernathy, of Jamestown, and Mrs. Lloyd Morehouse, at home. About 20 grandchildren also survive.
The Wellsboro Gazette (Wellsboro, PA) Wed, 28 Dec 1932; pg. 1.