Corning
Steuben County
New York


 

Corning Newspaper Tidbits

Painted Post Newspaper Tidbits

Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, And General History of the State, and a Complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village, and Locality. With Full Tables Of Statistics. By J. H. French. Syracuse, N.Y.: Published By R. Pearsall Smith 1860.


Page 624.

CORNING 
3-- was formed, as "Painted Post," 4 March 18, 1796. Its name was changed March 31, 1852. Erwin and Hornby were taken off in 1826, and "Wormly" (now Caton) in 1839. A part was annexed to Erwin in 1856. It lies on the E. border of the co., S. of the center. The wide valley of Chemung River, extending N.W. and S.E. through the center of the town, and several lateral valleys, divide the uplands into rounded hills and narrow ridges. Its streams are Borden, Post, Narrows, Clump Foot, and Winfield Creeks, tributaries of Chemung River. The soil upon the hills is a heavy, slaty loam, and in the valleys a fine quality of sandy and gravelly loam, occasionally intermixed with clay. Corning, (p. v.,) incorp. Sept. 6, 1848, is situated on the S. bank of Chemung River, in the W. part of the town. It is a half-shire of the co. The Chemung Canal, the Blossburg & Corning R. R., and the B., N. Y. & E. R. R. terminate here; and the village is an important station on the N. Y. & Erie R. R. It contains 5 churches, 2 newspaper establishments, 2 banks, a State arsenal, and several mills and manufacturing establishments, and commands an extensive and constantly increasing trade. 5 Pop. 3,626. Knoxville, 6 opposite Corning,  contains 2 churches and a pop. of 628. Gibson lies on the N. bank of the Chemung, 1 mi. E. of Corning. Pop. 428. Centerville contains 25 houses. East Painted Post is a p. o. The first settement was made near the village of Corning, in 1788, by Frederick Calkins and Benj. Eaton. 7 The first religious services were conducted by John Warren, in 1793. There are 7 churches int own. 8
     3 Named from Hon. Erastus Corning, of Albany.
     4 In the summer of 1779, a party of tories and Indians, under the command of a loyalist named McDonald, returned from an incursion into the Susquehanna settlements, bringing with them many of their number wounded. At the confluence of Tioga and Conhocton Rivers, Captain Montour, son of the famous Queen Catherine, a chief of great promise, died of his wounds. "His comrades buried him by the riverside, and planted above his grave a post on which were painted various symbols and rude devices. This monument was known throughout the Genesee Forests at 'The Painted Post.' It was a landmark well known to all the Six Nations, and was often visited by their braves and chieftains." This account of the origin of the Painted Post was given to Benj. Patterson, the hunter, by a man named Taggart, who was carried to Fort Niagara a prisoner by McDonald's party, and was a witness of the burial of Capt. Montour, or at least was in the encampment at the mouth of the Tioga at the time of his death. Col. Harper, of Harpersfield, the well known officer of the frontier militia of New York in the Revolution, informed Judge Knox, of Knoxville, in this co., that the Painted Post was erected over the grave of a chief who was wounded at the battle of the "Hog-Back" and brought in a canoe to the head of the Chemung, where he died. It was well understood by the early settlers that this monument was erected in memory of some distinguished warrior who had been wounded in one of the border battles of the Revolution and afterward died at this place. The post stood for many years after the settlement of the co. and the story goes that it rotted down at the butt, and was preserved in the bar-room of a tavern till about the year 1810 and then mysteriously disappeared. It is also said to have been swept away in a freshet. - McMaster's Hist. of Steuben. Simm's Hist Schoharie, p. 333.
     5 In 1852, 40,000 tons of Blossburg coal, brought by the Elossburg & Corning R. R., were transhipped at this place, and 50,000,000 feet of lumber were exported.
     6 Named from Judge John Knox, of this town.
     7 Benj. and Peleg Gorton, Jr., Ephraim Patterson and his sons Ichabod and Stephen, Bradford Eggleston, Justus Wolcott, Elias William, and Henry McCormick, Hezekiah Thurber, Jonathan Cook, Samuel Colgrove, and Eli and Eldad Mead settled in the town in 1790-91-92; Jonathan and Warren Rowley in 1794; James Turner and Caleb Wolcott in 1795; George McCullock and Benj. Patterson in 1796; and Nehemiah Hubbell in 1798. The first birth was that of James Calkins, Nov. 24, 1790; the first marriage, that of Benj. Gorton and Rachel Wolcott, in 1794; and the first death, that of Ichabod Patterson, in Aug. 1794. Ichabod Patterson built the first sawmill, and Jas. Henderson the first gristmill, both in 1793; Benj. Eaton kept the first store, in 1791, and Benj. Patterson the first inn, in 1798. The first school was taught by Samuel Colgrove, in 1793.
     8 2 Bap., 2 M.E., Prot. E., Presb., and R.C.