DANSVILLE
Steuben County
New York


 

Newspaper Tidbits

Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, And General History of the State, and a Complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village, and Locality. With Full Tables Of Statistics. By J. H. French. Syracuse, N.Y.: Published By R. Pearsall Smith 1860.


Pages 624 - 625.

DANSVILLE 9
-- was formed in March, 1796. Parts of Cohocton and Howard were taken off in 1812, a part of Wayland in 1848, and of Fremont in 1854. A part was annexed to Sparta in 1822, and a part of Cohocton was re-annexed April 26, 1834. It is the N. town upon the W. border of the co. The surface is mostly an upland, divided into ridges by the narrow valleys of small streams. The declivities of the hills are steep and their summits are 300 to 400 feet above the valleys. The streams are head branches of Canaseraga Creek, flowing N., and of Canisteo River, flowing S. The soil is sandy and gravelly loam in the E. and N., and gravel underlaid by hardpan in the S. W. Rogersville (South Dansville p. o.) contains 2 churches, an academy, 1 and a female seminary. 2 Pop. 200. Burns, a station on the B. & N. Y. City R. R., has about 15 houses. Dotys Corners is a p. o. The first settlement was made in 1804, by Isaac Sterling and Samuel Gibson.  The census reports 6 churches. 
     9 Named from Daniel P. Faulkner, an early and spirited citizen, known as "Captain Dan." - McMaster's Hist. of Steuben Co., p. 300.
     1 The Rogersville Academy was organized in 1849, and the buildings were erected in 1852.
     2 the Rogersville Union Seminary.
     3 Among the first settlers were James, John, and Major Jones, Frederick Fry, William Ganong, Thos. and Nathaniel Brayton, Tisdale Haskin, Thos. and John Root, Joshua Healey, Charles Oliver, Joseph Phelps, Elisha Robinson, William C. Rogers, and Jesse Bridges. Robert Fuller built the first sawmill, in 1820, and Handy & Miller the first gristmill, in 1825. Isaac Sterling kept the first inn, in 1806. The first School was taught by James Jones, in 1811.
     4 2 Bap., and 1 each Presb., M.E., Univ., and R.C.