Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
WRITTEN EXPRESSLY FOR THE
ELMIRA, N. Y.
For a Premium to subscribers of the Weekly
Gazette and Free Press.
*Transcribed by Jennifer
PAGE 154 The county of Steuben was
organized March 8, 1796, taken from the county of Ontario—named in honor of
Frederic William Augustus, Baron Steuben, a German soldier and patriot, who
came to America and did distinguished service for the colonies during the
revolutionary war. Since the organization of the county in 1796, it has been
materially lessened in territory. A portion was attached to Allegany county,
March 11, 1808, a portion to Ontario, Feb. 25, 1814, a portion to Livingston
county, Feb. 25,1814., a portion to Yates in the year 1824, and a portion to
Schuyler, April 17, 1854. At the time of its formation it consisted of six
townships, viz.: Bath., Canisteo, Dansville, Frederictown, Middletown and
Painted Post. As townships the names of Fredrictown, Middletown and Painted
Post have been absorbed. Painted Post, however, being retained in a village of
name within the original limits of Painted Post township. Steuben county now
contains thirty-two townships, known as Addison, Avoca, Bath, Bradford,
Campbell, Cameron, Canisteo, Caton, Cohocton, Corning, Dansville, Erwin,
Fremont, Hartsville, Hornby, Hornellsville, Howard, Jasper, Lindley,
Prattsburgh, Pultney, Rathbone, Thurston, Troupsburgh, Tuscarora, Urbana,
Wayne, Wayland, West Union, Wheeler and Woodhull.
The first court in
the county, was convened at Bath, June 21st, 1796. Hon. William Kersey,
assistant judge, presiding in the absence of Hon. Charles Williamson, first
judge. Judge Kersey was assisted by associates, Abram Bradley and Eleazer
Lindsley. The attorneys present were, Nathaniel W. Howell, Vincent Matthews,
William Stewart, William B. Vanplanck, David Jones, Peter Masterton, Thomas
Morris, Stephen Ross, David Powers. Several of them were non-residents of the
county, residing at Canandaigua, Geneva and Albany. William Stewart was
district attorney. During the session of the court, George Hornell, of
Hornellsville, Uriah Stevens, of Canisteo and Abel White of Addison, were
qualified as justices of the peace. At the term of Oyer and Terminer, held
during the year 1796, the first grand jury consisted of John Sheathar, foreman,
Charles Cameron, George McClure, John Cooper, Samuel Miller, Isaac Mullender,
John Stearns, Justus Wolcott, John Coudry, John Devanter, Alexander Fullerton,
Amasiah Hammond, John Seeley, Samuel Shannan. There were only two indictments
presented, and they were for assault and battery.
William Dunn was the first sheriff of Steuben county, appointed March 31st, 1796. He held the
office four years. The court house was erected in
the year 1796, was one and a half stories with wings or linto's and made of wood.
SETTLERS.—The first settlers were a hardy and intelligent
people, many of them of New England origin, and many from the bordering
state of Pennsylvania. The Erwins, the Pattersons, the Stephens, the
were from Pennsylvania. Arthur Erwin, the senior, was form Erwinna, Bucks
County, Pennsylvania, he who purchased the township of Painted Post;
the Pattersons were from Northumberland county and the Stephens were
from Luzerne county, Pa. William Dunn, the first sheriff, was from the
south, and John Magee, the distinguished sheriff, banker, contractor,
of congress and railroad and coal operator, was born on the banks of
the Lehigh, in Northampton county, Pa. General Charles Williamson, the
agent of Sir William Pultney, was an Englishman. He founded Bath in
1792, and did many things to advance the settlement of Steuben, Ontario
and other sections of western New York. Steuben county was in what was
known as the "Genessee country," and the land of the Painted Post, and
attracted settlers from almost every state in the Union. No particular
therefore, can claim pre-eminent honors in the settlement of the county.
We shall refer more particular to the early settlers in the various township
MEMBERS OF ASSEMBLY
OF STEUBEN COUNTY.—Before Steuben county
was organized from Ontario, Col.Eleazer Lindsley, from Lindley, was a
member of the assembly in 1792, and in 1796 Col.Charles Williamson, of
Bath, was also a member. When the county was formed in 1796, Col.
was elected for the county of Steuben. * Since that time the members
have been : 1798 Charles Williamson; 1799, Charles Williamson; 1800
Charles Williamson; 1804, James Faulkner; 1805, John Wilson; 1806,
John Wilson; 1807, John Wilson; 1808, George Hornell; 1809, Henry A.
Townshend; 1810, John Knox; 1811, John Knox; 1812, Jacob Teeple; 1813,
Jacob Teeple; 1814-15-16, Daniel Cruger; 1817-18, WilliamB. Rochester; 1819
John Dow ; 1820, John Dow ; 1821, John Dow ; 1822, Grattan H. Wheeler;
1823, George McClure, William Woods; 1824, George McClure, Grattan H.
Wheeler; 1825, John Kennedy, James McBurney; 1826, Daniel Cruger,
Grattan H. Wheeler; 1827, Paul C. Cook, George McClure; 1828, Dugald
Cameron, William Woods; 1829, Randall Graves, Henry Phoenix; 1830,
Andrew B. Dickinson, Josiah Dunlap; 1831, Paul C. Cook, Josiah Dunlap;
1832, Edward Howell, John McBurney; 1833, William Hunter, William
Kernan; 1834, Joshua Healy, William Kernan; 1835, Jeremiah Baker,
Joshua Healey; 1836, Lemuel B. Searles, Henry Shriver; 1837, Henry G. Cotton, John I. Poppino, Benjamin Smead; 1838, Samuel Griggs, David
Sail, Manning Kelley; 1839, Andrew G. Chatfield, Abram Lybolt, Johnson
N. Reynolds; 1840, Richard Brower, Andrew G. Chatfield, Abram M.
Lybolt; 1841, Andrew G. Chatfield, William S. Hubbell, Samuel A. Johnson
; 1842, Aaron W. Beach, Francis E. Erwin, Ziba A. Leland; 1843,
Morris Brown, Francis E. Erwin, Ziba A. Leland; 1844, John Jamison, Asa McConnell, Jeffrey Smith; 1845, William C. Rogers, Ansel C. Smith, Jacob VanValkenburg; 1846, Andrew G. Chatfield, Otto F. Marshall,
William C. Rogers; 1847, Hiram Chapman, William Diven,
Hunter; 1848, Abel Kendall, John G.
Messereau, Alexander H. Stephens;
1849, Abram J. Quackenboss, John G. Messereau, John K. Hale; 1850,
Edwin F. Church, Ferral C. Dininy, James Alley; 1851, Charles G. Higby,
James M. Miles, Joel Cavungton; 1852, Robert B. VanValkenburgh,
Benaziah P. Bailey, Nathaniel M. Perry; 1853, Dryden Henderson, John
McBurney, Henry H. Bouten; 1854, John F, Williams, Benaziah P. Bailey,
Obediah Stevens; 1855, Seth B. Cole, Sylvester Smith, Peter C. Ward;
1856, Goldsmith Denniston, Albert C. Morgan, Harlo Hakes; 1857, R. B.
VanValkenburgh, George T. Spencer, Solon O. Thatcher; 1858, R. B. Van
Valkeuburgh, Washington Barnes, William B. Jones; 1859, Abel Eveland,
Wickham R. Crocker, John T. Plato; 1860, Daniel Gray, W. R. Crocker,
Lorenzo M. Rider; 1861, Daniel B. Bryan, Jeffery Smith, Redman S.
Davis; 1862, Daniel B. Bryan, Henry Sherwood, Samuel M. Alley; 1863,
John W. Taggart, Henry Sherwood, Horace Bemis; 1864, William E.
Bonham, Alexander Olcott, J. Harvey Stephens; 1865, William E. Bonham,
Alexander Olcott, Horace Bemis; 1866, William B. Boyd, Amaziah S.
McKey, Frederic M. Kreidler; 1867. William B. Boyd, Christian Minier;
1868, John F. Little, Lyman Balcom; 1869, Monroe Brundage, Samuel
Mitchell; 1870, James G. Bennett, John Davis; 1871, Thomas M. Fowler,
James B. Murdock; 1872, Thomas M. Fowler, Stephen F. Gilbert; 1873
Stephen D. Shattuck, Charles F. Houghton; 1874, Stephen D. Shattuck,
Lewis C. Pierson; 1875, William B. Ruggles, Jerry E. B. Santee; 1876,
William B. Ruggles, Jerry E. B. Santee; 1877, Azariah G. Brundage,
George R. Sutherland ; 1878, Azariah C. Brundage, George R. Sutherland;
1879, John W. Davis, Russell M. Tuttle; 1880, John W. Davis, Russell M. Tuttle; 1881, Charles S.
Longwell, Russell M. Tuttle; 1882, Allen A.
VanOrsdale, Orange S. Searles; 1883, Andrew B. Craig, Orange S. Searles;
1884, George E. Whiteman, Andrew B. Craig; 1885, George E. White
man, Charles D. Baker.
SHERIFFS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.—William Dunn, March 31, 1796; John
Wilson, March 3, 1800; Dugald Cameron, Feb. 22, 1804; Jacob Teeple
Feb. 16, 1808; Howell Bull, March 22, 1810; Cornelius Younglove, March
25, 1811; Thomas McBurney, March 7, 1812; Benjamin Wells, Feb. 23
1813; Lazarus Hammond, March 2, 1814; George McClure Feb. 28, 1815;
Henry Shriver, March 2, 1819; John Magee, Feb. 19, 1821; John Magee
Nov., 1832; John Kennedy, Nov., 1825; Alva Ellas, Nov., 1828; George
Huntington, Nov., 1831; John T. Andrews, Nov., 1834; Henry Brother,
Nov., 1837; Hiram Potter, Nov., 1840; Hugh Magee, Nov., 1843; Henry
Brother, 1846; Oliver Allen, 1849; Gabriel T. Harrower, Nov., 1852;
Lewis D. Fay, Nov., 1855; Orange Seymour,
1858; Edwin B. Kasson, 1861
William N. Smith, Nov., 1864; Willis E. Craig, Nov., 1867; William B.
Boyd, Nov. 1870; Holland B. Williams, Nov., 1873; Franklin B. Sherwood,
Nov., 1876; Erastus P. Higgins, 1880; Esek Page 1883.
COUNTY CLERKS.—George D. Cooper, March 31, 1796; Henry A. Towns
hend, Feb. 11, 1799; John Wilson, March 21, 1807; Henry A. Townshend,
Feb, 8, 1808; Dugald Cameron, Feb, 16, 1810; John Wilson, Feb. 13, 1815;
Edward Howell, March 19, 1821; John Metcalfe, Nov., 1822; David
Rumsey, Nov., 1829; William H. Bull, Nov., 1832; William Hamilton
PAGE 1571838; Paul C.Cook, Nov., 1844; Philo
P. Hubbell, Nov., 1850; Charles W. Campbell, Nov., 1853;
Samuel M. Alley, Nov., 1856; Orson Mosher, Nov., 1859; Oscar J.
Averill, Nov., 1862; Allen A. VanOrsdale, Nov., 1865; Nirom M. Crane, Nov.
1868; Henry Faucett, Nov., 1871; Archibald E. Baxter, 1874; Lucius
A. Waldo, 1877; Archie E. Baxter, 1878; William Warren Wilson, 1881;
Jacob H. Lansing, 1884.
COUNTY JUDGES.—Charles Williamson,
March 31, 1796; William Kersey,
Jan. 29, 1803; James Faulkner, Feb. 16,1804; Samuel Baker, Jan. 18,1813;
Thomas McBurney, April 15, 1816; James Norton, Feb. 7,1823; George C.
Edwards, Jan. 13, 1826; Ziba A. Leland, Jan. 9, 1838; Jacob Larrowe,
April 17, 1843; William M. Hawley, Jan. 30,1846; David McMaster, June,
1847; Jacob Larrowe, Nov. 1851; David McMaster, Nov., 1855; Washington
Barnes Nov. 1859; Guy H. McMaster, 1863; George T. Spencer, 1871;
Guy H. McMaster, Nov., 1877.
JUSTICES OF THE SUPREME
COURT.—Thomas A. Johnson, of Corning,
from April 7, 1847, to Nov. 1873; Hon. David Rumsey, of Bath, from
1873 up till his death; Hon. George B. Bradley, of Corning, from 1882 ____.
DISTRICT ATTORNEYS.—The office was
created in April, 1801. William
Stewart, appointed March 2, 1802; Daniel W. Lewis, March 9, 1810;
William Stewart, Feb. 12, 1811; Vincent Mathews, March 12,1813; Daniel
Cruger, April 17, 1815; Daniel Cruger, June 11, 1818; John Cook, Feb.
19,1821; Henry Welles, Oct. 22, 1824; Edward Howell, Feb. 7, 1829; B. W. Franklin, June, 1834; Edward
Howell, June 21, 1836; Lazarus H.
Read, March 4, 1840; Andrew G. Chatfield, Dec. 2, 1845; Morris Brown,
June 20 1846; Alfred P. Ferris, elected June, 1847; Robert L. Brundage,
Nov., 1850; Joseph Herron, Nov., 1853; John Maynard, Jan. 7, 1856;
Christopher John McDowell, Nov. 1859; Harlo Hakes, in Novr, 1862; John
H. Butler, 1865; Alphonso H. Burrell, Nov., 1871; Ellsworth D. Mills, Nov.,
1874; re-elected again in 1877.
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS.—Daniel Cruger, Bath, N. Y., 1817, one term;
William Woods, Bath, 1823, one term; John Magee, Bath, 1827, two terms;
Grattan H. Wheeler, Wheeler, 1831, one term; Edward Howell, Bath, 1833,
one term; John T. Andrews, Bath, 1839, one term; William S. Hubbell, Bath,
1843, one term; David Rumsey, Jr., Bath, 1847, two terms; Robert B.
VanValkenburgh, Bath, 1861, two terms; Charles C. B. Walker, Corning,
1873, one term; John N. Hungerford, Corning, 1875, one term.
The Chemung canal feeder was completed in the year 1833.
The Erie Railroad was completed to Corning in the month of Dec, 1849. Entirely completed and opened from Piermont on the Hudson to Dunkirk
on Lake Erie, in May, 1851.
The Corning and Blossburg Railroad completed from Corning to Blossburg,
in the year 1840.
The Conhocton Valley Railroad constructed in the year 1852.
The Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railroad completed in the year 1876.
The D., L. & W. R. R. completed in the year 1883.
In the year 1831, the Crooked Lake Canal was finished.
In 1852, a plank road was constructed from Corning up the Conhocton v
In 1882, the Addison and Northern
Pennsylvania Railroad was constructed
from Addison, Steuben county, N. Y., to Gaines, Tioga county,
Pa., a distance of forty miles.
The Bath Gazette and Genesee
Advertiser, the first newspapers published in
Steuben county, were issued under the patronage of Gen. Charles Williamson,
in January, 1796, by William Kersey and James Eddie. To give briefs
of the newspapers subsequently published in the county, would require a
volume. Steuben county has been prolific in newspaper enterprises.
In the year 1830, January 19, a
great convention was held in Bath, in relation
to the Pultney estate.
Robert Campbell, Jr., elected
Lieutenant Governor, Nov. 2, 1858.
Hon. Stephen T. Bayt, of Corning,
elected canal commissioner, Nov. 6,
Daniel C. Howell, of Bath, appointed Superintendent of State Banking
Department, Feb 3, 1870.
Hon. Daniel Cruger, of Bath, elected
speaker of the Assembly Jan. 30,1816.
Hon. James E. Jones, appointed
captain of the Port of New York, Jan.
From the organization of the county
from 1796 to 1846 a period of fifty
years, surrogates were appointed. Since 1846, the county judges have
that service. For the first fifty years the surrogates in Steuben
county were Stephen Ross, March 31, 1796; Henry A. Townshend, March
24, 1800; George McClure, March 25, 1805; John Metcalfe, April 6, 1813;
James Reed, April 8, 1815; Samuel Baker, April 10, 1817; William Read,
March 20, 1821; James Brundage, March 28, 1823; William Woods, Jan.
8, 1827; Robert Campbell, Jan 31, 1835; David Rumsey, Jan. 24, 1840;
Ansel J. McCall, Feb, 3, 1844.
Post offices, Addison, Addison Hill,
Adrian, Avoca, Bath, Bennett's Creek, Big Creek, Blood's Depot, Bradford, Buena Vista, Cameron, Cameron
Mills, Campbelltown, Canisteo, Caton, Canisteo Center, Corning, Cooper's
Plains, Curtis, Cohocton, Doty's Corners, East Campbell, East Woodhull, East Troupsburgh, Erwin, Erwin Center, Goff's Mills, Greenwood, Gibson,
Hammondsport, Haskinville, Hedgesville, Hornby, Hornellsville, Howard,
Jasper, Kanona, Lindleytown, Merchantville, Mitchellville, Neils' Creek,
North Cameron, North Jasper, North Urbana, Perkinsville, Painted Post,
Pultney, Rikers' Hollow, Risingville, Savona, Sonora, South Addison, South
Bradford, South Cameron, South Dansville, South Howard, South Pultney,
South Troupsburgh, Stephens' Mills, Swale, Towlesville, Troupsburgh,
Wallace, Wayland Depot, Wayne, Wayne Four Corners, West Union,
Wheeler, Wileysville, Woodhull, Young Hickory.
Steuben County Medical Society,
organized in 1818. Doctor Warren
Patchen was its first president.
Steuben County Homeopathic Medical Societv, was organized May 25
1867. First president, Doct. A. Dewolf of Bath.
Hornellsville Academy of Medicine, organized Dec. 17, 1873. Dr. J. W
Robinson first president.
Steuben Farmers' Agricultural Society, organized at Bath, June 1, 1841.
First president, Otto Marshall. A society has subsequently been organized
which has large and commodious
buildings. This society was organized in 1853.
Soldiers Home at Bath completed and dedicated, in 1879.
Vine Culture commenced near Hammondsport, in 1855 by Judge Jacob Larrowe and Orlando Shepard.
Pleasant Valley Wine Company, organized in 1860.
Urbana Wine Company, organized in 1865.
Lake Keuka Wine Company, organized in 1878.
August 1, 1846, Capt. William E. Shannon of Bath, with his company, left Bath to engage in the
About 3,000 citizens of the county of Steuben, enlisted in the service of t
heir country, in various regiments, during the war of the rebellion.
Steuben county with its nine hundred thousand acres of land, two thirds of which are under cultivation, the
rich alluvial soils of its valleys, its vast
gricultural and manufacturing products, its railroads, villages and
towns, its public schools, and academies of learning, its charitable institutions, its churches and lodges, the ability of its public press, and
nterprise and wealth of its citizens make it one of the most important c
ounties in the empire state.