Transcribed Obituaries
Beginning with

Steuben County
New York

JASPER, N. Y., June 11. - This community was saddended by the news which was received on Saturday, telling of the death in France of Private Oscar Lee Sackett of Battery C, 304th Field Artillery. Private Sackett was 23 years of age, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sackett of this place. His death occurred May 31st in a base hospital in France and was due to laryngical diphtheria. He was a popular young man and had many friends among his acquaintances.
Together with two other Jasper boys, Serrel VanSkiver and Ray Walrath. Oscar left Addison with the draft contingent on February 27th. They were in training at Camp Upton. In less than three weeks Serrel VanSkiver, died of pneumonia and his body was brought to this place for burial, with Private Sackett as military escort. Oscar was home on two subsequent fuloughs and spoke enthusiastically of soldier life.
He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sackett, and a brother, Frank Sackett, of this place. The entire community joins in sympathy for the bereaved family.
The body was buried in France with military honors.
Funeral services in memory of Private Sackett will be held on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. in the Presbyterian church at Jasper.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) June 2, 1918; page 1, col. 4.

Service was held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 at the Presbyterian church in memory of Oscar Sackett, a Jasper boy, who died in France, May 31, in the service of this country. The service was largely attended by relatives and friends who gathered to pay tribute and respect to this one who has sacrificed with his life to the geat cause to which he was called. With the death of Oscar, the war comes home to us once more with terrible reality. He was a young man beloved and respected by all and the loss of him brings deep sorrow to this community. But while his body rests beneath the sod of a foreign land, his memory lives and is tenderly cherished in the minds of his legion of acquaintances. Rev. G. A. Wilkinson of Dresden, former minister of this place, had charge of the service and spoke impressively of Oscar's life and sacrifice. To the family who are bereaved by Oscar's death this community holds the __.
Canisteo Times(Canisteo, NY) June 19, 1918; page 4, col. 1.

SUICIDE. - On Wednesday last, at Painted Post, the Rev. Mr. Sanborn committed suicide, by hanging himself. His family were absent on a visit to a neighbor's excepting a child which was left to his charge. On their return, the child was found asleep upon the bed, and Mr. Sanborn missing. Shortly after the lifeless corpse of the deceased was found suspended by a rope from one of the rafters in the garret, his knees touching the floor; and from the position in which he was found, it is supposed he must have suffocated by bearing his neck upon the rope. Mr. S. has been a minister of the Gospel for some years, and he was recently manifested symptoms of insanity, to which is attributed the fatal act. - Tioga Gaz.
The New York Morning Herald. (New York, NY) June 21, 1830; Issue 145; col. D.

     The Rev. Mr. Sanborn, of Painted Post, Steuben county, a celebrated renouncing mason, committed suicide on the 8th inst. by hanging himself.
Ithaca Journal and General Advertiser (Ithaca, NY) June 23, 1830; pg. 2.

William Saunders
, of 45 Catherine street, died yesterday afternoon aged 42 years. He leaves a wife and two daughters. The funeral will be held at Belmont on Monday, leaving this city on train No. 25.
Hornell Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) January 9, 1904; page 3, col. 1.

Mrs. Adelaide Savage
Mrs. Adelaide Savage, 80, passed away Sunday morning at 2:20 at the home of her sister, Mrs. Sumned Woodward with whom she had been spending the winter. She was born in Addison May 30, 1851, the daughter of Serrel and Eliza Taft and in youth moved with her parents to the state road district where she grew to womanhood. She was twice married, her first husband Charles Hadley died many years ago. One child was born to this union, which died in infancy. Later she married Hiel Savage, who died in Nebraska.
Mrs. Savage lived in Nebraska nearly 43 years and returned last summer in frail health for a visit with relatives. Several years ago she suffered a shock and has gradually been failing for some time.
She was the third of a family of 12 children of which, five are now living. Mrs. Savage, known by many of the older residents, was very highly regarded and always recognized for her Christian character. She is survived by three sons, Fay Savage of Adams, Nebraska; Olin Savage of Fairbury, Nebraska and Serrel Savage of Kimball, Nebraska; three brothers, Frank Taft of Whitesville, Andrew Taft of Cameron and Myron Taft of Jasper; two sisters, Mrs. Effie Dennis of Canisteo and Mrs. Sarah Woodward of Jasper. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 from the Woodward home and at 2:00 o'clock from the M. E. Church, Rev. E. C. Lewis officiating and burial was made in Jasper.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) March 10, 1932; page 6, col. 1.

CHARLES SAVAGE died in Troupsburg, N.Y. at his home, April 16, 1882, in the 53rd year of his life. He was born Dec. 1, 1829. At an early age he came with his parents from New England, and settled in the town of Jasper, Steuben Co., N.Y., where his early years were passed until he was married with Miss Pamelia Reynolds, of  Troupsburg, N.Y., where he has lived ever since. Bro. Savage was first connected with Christian Denomination, but several years ago united with the Methodist Episcopal Church with his wife. During our short pastorate of one and a half years, all of his living children who have attained years of understanding, have been converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, also two daughter-in-laws. Brother Savage and wife established the family altar, and around that altar asked God for the conversion of the entire family. God bountifully answered their prayers, and the grown sons now say the family altar must and shall be maintained. Our brother's health had been poorly for some time. He told his friends that he wanted to live long enough to see his oldest son Henry converted. A few weeks ago he gave his heart to God and his name to the church, together with his wife. Shortly after Bro. Savage suffered from a severed attack of pneumonia. The work of death was completed in one week. We were with him during the last three hours of life. His faith was firm and triumphant, frequently in a feeble voice exclaiming that Jesus was precious. "I trust in no vain delusions of men, but only in the Lord Jesus," said he to the writer. To the very last he was conscious and full of faith. His last words are a legacy of comfort to his sorrowing family, to whom he was
affectionately devoted. Funeral text II Cor., V. 1; services at his residence and interred in a cemetery near the house. R.J. KELLOGG.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, May 11, 1882; pg. 7.

Mrs. Thomas A. Sawyer died Tuesday evening at her home in Campbell after a long and painfull illness. She was born in Wayne, N.Y., May 16, 1845.
Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) Friday, June 23, 1905; pg. 8.

     Mrs. Elizabeth Scherer, wife of Joseph Scherer, Sr., died at her home Sunday morning, December 10th, at the age of 69 years, 11 months and 9 days.
Hornellsville Weekly Tribune (Hornellsville, NY) Friday, December 22, 1899; page 5, col. 5.

Amos Schoonover, a highly respected farmer of this town, died at his home on Saturday morning at 6 o'clock from heart failure. He had been in poor health for over a year and had been confined to his bed the greater part of the time for the past two months. Mr. Schoonover and son D. L. were working the W. S. Goodsell farm at the Five Corners where the family reside. He was born in Troupsburg 63 years ago last July and has spent the greater part of his life in Troupsburg and Jasper. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Walter Schoonover of Rockford, Ill., and D. L. at home, and one daughter, Mrs. Clarence Bebout of Woodhull. The funeral was held from the house at 1 p.m. Tuesday, Rev. T. V. Moore officiating. Burial in Boyd cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) February 5, 1919; page 5, col. 1.

Miss Edith Schoonover died on Wednesday, January 23, at the home of her parents. The community was greatly saddened as she was loved by all. She had been a patient sufferer for five weeks and everything was done for her that could be done. The funeral was held from the home at 1 p.m., Friday following. Rev. F. G. Barnard officiating. Edith was 15 years, 6 months old. She leaves her mother, and father, Mr. and Mrs. Bert Schoonover, one brother, John, to mourn her untimely death. She was a very pretty, attractive girl, and for five weeks she was in the minds of the people. The beautiful flowers and full home were sincere tributes to the great esteem in which she was held by the community.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) Wednesday, February 6, 1918; page 3, col. 4.

James E. Schwarzenback Dies After Long Illness
Prominent Hornell Man Passes Away in Rochester Hospital Last Evening - Funeral Here Sunday Afternoon.
     James E. Schwarzenback, for many years prominent in the business and political life of the city, died at 6:45 o'clock last evening in the Highland Hospital at Rochester where he had been a patient for the past four weeks.
     Death was due to cerebral thrombosis following chronic endo-carditis. The body was brought to Hornell last evening and the funeral services will be held at the family home, No. 35 Union street, Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and burial will take place in Hope cemetery.
     Mr. Schwarzenback had been in poor health about two years and since then had spent much of his time at his summer home at Loon Lake in an effort to recuperate. Four weeks ago he went to Rochester for treatment and although everything possible was done for him his case was regarded as hopeless since early in the week and his death was hourly expected. Yesterday at noon he was feeling much better than he had but late in the afternoon his condition suddenly changed for the worse.
Native of Germania
     The death of Mr. Schwarzenbach causes a great deal of sorrow through out the city and in fact all over this section for he was unusually well known and well liked. For years he has been a leader among the businessmen of Steuben county. He was born in Germania, Pa., on March 26th, 1868, and was therefore 57 years old.
     His father, Joseph Schwarzenbach, came to the United States from Bavaria, Germany, in 1853 and in 1857 settled at Germania, Pa., where he established the brewing business that later became the Schwarzenbach Brewing Company, one of the largest in this end of the state. It was while the father was living at Germania that he married Louise Seebald and of the nine children born to them all but two grew to manhood and womanhood.
     James E. Schwarzenbach was the youngest of the family and was educated in the public schools of Germania. He had private tutors in the English and German languages and later received a business education at Detroit, Mich.
     While a young man he interested himself in lumbering and various other enterprises with successful results. At about this time he became one of the organizers and stockholders of the First National bank of Coudersport, Pa.
Came to Hornell
     In 1895 he came to Hornell and with his brothers, Roland and Herman Schwarzenbach, built the plant of the Schwarzenbach Brewing Company here. The business developed with such rapidity that in 1900 the company built a brewery at Galeton, Pa. Later these two plants consolidated at which time the Schwarzenbach Brewing Company was organized and James Schwarzenbach was chosen president, a position he continued to hold from that time on.
     For many years he has been a director in the Hornell Fair Association and one of the men most interested in its success. He was also vice president and a director in the Steuben Trust Company and at the time of the construction of Mannerchor Hall devoted a lot of time and money to the project with which he was connected to the end. Among the many other projects in which he was interested was the Hornell-Bath Interurban Electric Railroad, a scheme that was never completed.
     In city affairs he was also active, having served several terms as a commissiner of the department of public works. He was also a director of the Chamber of Commerce for many years and served as its president. Twice he was elected president of the Hornell Automobile Club, of which he was a charter member and in which he was very active.
Was Democratic Leader
     It was largely through his political activities that Mr. Schwarzenbach became so well known all over the state. He was a staunch and loyal Democrat and served many years as the Democratic State Committeeman in this district. It was due a great deal to his ability as a leader and organizor that the party attaned so much strength here at that time.
     He was one time a candidate for member of assembly in this district and ran far ahead of the ticket. In 1908 he was appointed as one of the "big four" alternate delegates at large to represent the Empire State at the national convention of the Democratic party at Denver.
     Mr. Schwarzenbach was a commissioner in connection with the Hudson-Fulton celebration and acted with President Schurmann of Cornell and other leading men of the state in connection with that affair. For several years he was president of the New York & Pennsylvania Bottlers' Association.
     On May 17th, 1900, he was married to Miss Marie S. Zieger of this city, by whom he is survived, as well as two children, Norman Robert, and Helen Lois, both of Hornell. He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Henry Theis and Mrs. Fred Hug of Germania, Pa. The daughter was to have graduated Monday from Mount Saint Joseph's Academy in Buffalo.
Good Roads Enthusiast
     Since his health began to fail, a few years ago, Mr. Schwarzenbach has retired more and more from active business life but nevertheless he never hesitated to exercise his influence to aid any movement that had the betterment of Hornell and vicinity as its object. He was one of the men most instrumental in obtaining early state road construction throughout this section and he has continued as a good roads enthusiast ever since. In fact a great deal of credit is due to him for obtaining the designation of the Hornell-Loon Lake road just recently.
     His loss will be keenly felt for he was a man well liked by all who knew him and one who was unselfish in his efforts to aid others. He was a member of Hornellsville Lodge No. 331, F & A. M., Steuben Chapter, Commandery, No. 22, Knights Templar; Hornellsville Lodge No. 364, B. P. O. Elks and Hornell Lodge, No. 210, L. O. O. Moose.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) June 19, 1925

SEAMANS-At Savona, Town of Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y., Jan. 3, 1863, Mrs. S. C. Seamans, aged 65 years, 4 months and 3 days.
New York Tribune (New York, NY) Saturday, January 14, 1865; pg. 5.

Auto Crashes Over Bridge; Two Dead, Two are Dying
     HORNELL, N.Y., Sept. 10 - Louis J. Seeley, postmaster at Canisteo and George Wilcox, a leading manufacturer of that village, are dead and two others are dying as
the result of an automobile crash last night near Woodhull. The men were returning to Canisteo after a business trip, and in the darkness Mr. Seeley missed the turn in the
road at a bridge. The car crashed through the iron bridge and struck on the bed of the stream below. The dead and dying men were not discovered until daylight.
     The two who were injured are Edward Mayette and Charles Kinner. Mr. Seeley served two terms as member of Assembly from this district.
New-York Tribune (New York, NY) Thursday, September 11, 1919; pg. 9.

Lyman J. Seeley, 58, a colleague of the late aviator, Glenn H. Curtiss, died Saturday at Coral Gables, Fla. His home is in Hammondsport. He had ambitions to go to Congress and bought several Steuben county newspapers, including the Hammondsport Herald, Bath Plain-dealer, Avoca Advance, Addison Advertiser and Canisteo Chronicle. They all became insolvent and several discontinued publication or were restored by new owners. He is survived by his wife, three sons and two daughters
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) November 9, 1933.

At Arkport, Steuben county, N.Y., after a lingering illness, JAMES MILTON SHARP, in the 29th year of his age.
The Weekly Herald, (New York, NY) October 28, 1854; pg. 344; Issue 43; col. C.

News has just been received here of the sudden death of Dr. J. W. Shaul of Los Angeles, Cal. Dr. Shaul was one of the successful Jasper boys and by perseverance and hard work had become one of the leading physicians of Los Angeles. He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife and one daughter, Mrs. Fred Mazy of Los Angeles, and two sisters and one brother, Mrs. Marshall Dennis, Mrs. Stanley H. Ploss.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) February 27, 1918; page 5, col. 1.

Mrs. Isabel Minnie Shaw
Mrs. Isabel Minnie Shaw was taken serviously ill Thursday morning and was taken to St. James hospital at Hornell. She did not regain consciousness and passed away at 9 p. m. She lived in Jasper and this place practically all her life. She was born in Jasper in 1863 and was the daughter of Isabel Maxwell and Ayers Drake and the widow of Miner Shaw, a former cashier of the bank in this place who died in 1913. She was a very prominent woman in business and social affairs of the town. She was a member of the O. E. S. lodge, No. 574 of this place, also the Rebekah lodge and Grange. She was a member of the school board for ten years and one of the directors of the First National Bank here.
She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Augusta Quigley of South Canisteo, and Mrs. George Reinhart of Gary, Ind., one niece, Mrs. George Potter of South Canisteo, several great niees and nephews. Mrs. Mildred Fish and Miss Ruth Potter lived with her a great number of years. She will be greatly missed by her relatives and friends and in all social affairs of the town.
The funeral was held from her late home Tuesday afternoon at 2:30. Rev. Matthew Horton of Ellington officiated. Burial was made in the family plot at Jasper. The floral tributes were many and beautiful which express the esteem in whih she was held.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) January 28, 1932; page 5, col. 2.

The death of Thomas Sheffield, one of the oldest residents of the town of Jasper, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Anna House, on Friday morning, Jan. 7th. He was 81 years old and had been ill about three months, following a stroke of paralysis.
Funeral services were held from the late residence Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. T. V. Moore officiating. Interment was made in Five Corners cemetery.
Thomas J. Sheffield was one of a family of ten children. He was born at Hammondsport, N. Y., in 1835. His father, Thomas Sheffield, came to this country from York, England, in 1809 and settled in New Jersey and later moved to Hammondsport. He later moved to this place when the deceased was but two years old and settled on the hill farm known as the Sheffield farm, two miles south of this village, while his brother settled on the farm now owned by S. J. Woodward.
With the exception of the first two years, Thos. J. Sheffield spent his entire life in this place, having occupied for a period of forty years the hill farm settled by his father. He then moved to his farm at the Five Corners where he lived for thirty-six years.
Forty-eight years ago he was married to Elizabeth Crosby Hallett of Adrian, whose death occurred several years ago. To them was born one child, Anna.
Mr. Sheffield was among our most substantial and thrifty farmers up until about three years ago, when old age and failing health made it necessary for him to give up the active duties of the farm and take up his residentce with his daughter in this village.
He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Anna House of this place, a step daughter, Mrs. Gaylord Colvin of Ulyssess, Pa.; one brother, Richard of Iowa, 92 years of age; two sisters, Mrs. David Foster of Troupsburg and Mrs. John Travis of Canisteo.
Those from out of town who attended the funeral, were: Mr. and Mrs. John Travis, Mr. and Mrs. Byron Crosby, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Brasted of Canisteo; Mrs. Nathan Dunkell and Mrs. Edward Oxx of Hornell, Mrs. Frank Wade of Addison, Mrs. Gaylord Colvin of Ulysses, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Foster, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Sheffield, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lewis of Troupsburg; Asa Smith, B. P. Smith and S. L. Wildrick of Woodhull.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) January 12, 1916; page 4, col. 1.

Hon. Henry Sherwood, of Corning, N.Y., died. Born at Troupsburg, Steuben County, on January 27, 1824. He was educated for the legal profession, studying with F.C. Divinny, at Addison, and was admitted to practice in all the courts of this State in 1852. He was elected to the Assembly in 1862, and was a member of the Judiciary Committee, where his legal talents were displayed to advantage. He defeated his democratic competitor, Amos Carr, in 1863, by a large majority. He then entered the field as republican  candidate for Speaker, but in the fierce contest that ensued he withdrew, and eventually threw the election in favor of Mr. Callicot. Mr. Sherwood was originally a democrat of free soil proclivities, voting in 1843 for Van Buren and in 1852 for Pierce; but at the next Presidential election he advocated the election of Fremont, and was one of the founders of the republican party in this State. He was a descendant of the Sherwoods, of Long Island, whose Revolutionary services have been recorded in history. In 1855 he married Miss Eleanor Robinson, then of Ithaca. During the contest between Jay Gould and S. L. Barlow for the possession of the Erie Railroad Mr. Sherwood was a director of that road, and took an active part in the coup d'etat which followed, when General Sickles stormed the office of the company. He was highly respected in the section in which he lived, and his loss will be keenly felt.
New York Herald (NY) July 24, 1875; pg. 5.

This community was saddened by the death of a respected man, Rolland J. Shutes on Sunday morning, Feb. 3, at his home in this place, following a long illness from tuberculosis. He was 22 years of age and the youngest son of Edward Shutes. He was a young man whom everyone liked and had a host of friends who join in the sympathy for the bereft family over his untimely death. Besides his wife and infant son, he is survived by his father, Edward Shutes of this place and 2 brothers, Charles and Leroy Shutes of Hornell and two sisters, Mrs. Leroy Lockwood of Amsterdam and Mrs. W. R. Moon of Atlanta, Virginia. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the house. Burial in Jasper cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) February 6, 1918; page 5, col. 3.

We hear by telegraph from New Orleans that the well known comedian whose name heads this notice died at San Francisco, about the 20th of last month. Mr. Silsbee was a native of the town of Wayne, in the county of Steuben, in this state, and made his first appearance in a Yankee comedy at the Albany theatre, about ten years since, and afterwards played at the Chatham. In 1850 he went to London and made his debut at the Adelphi as Jonathan Ploughboy, in "The Forest Rose." Mr. Silsbee was much liked in London, and played at the Adelphi through nearly two seasons. Returning to America, he played his first engagement at the Broadway theatre, commencing the season of 1853. He did not please his own countrymen so well as the Londoners - his portraitures being very broad caricatures, and making the Yankee character too gross and monstrous. He had a round, jolly face and much mobility of countenance. He was often excessively funny, and evidently possessed the elements of his art. He needed taste and a good school. He was, however, quite equal to Hill, whom he imitated, but inferior to Marble or Burke. He travelled through the country during the season of '53 and '54, and went to California about a year since. He was only moderately successful in the Golden State, and we heard some time since that his health was impaired. Mr. Silsbee was about thirty-five years of age. His personal character was above reproach; he was a worthy, quiet, conservative, temperate, prudent man, and had, we learn, secured a handsome competence. He leaves a widow and children. There seems to be a mortality among the "Yankee comedians," so called. Messrs. Marble, Hill and Burke all died young. The only representative of this style of part that we know of now is Mr. McVicker, who recently arrived here from a European tour.
The New York Herald, (New York, NY) January 26, 1856; col. C.

Dundee - Stacy Simmons, age 79, of Millard St., Dundee, NY died Saturday October 18, 1997 at home. Friends may call from 2-4 and 7-9 PM Tuesday (Oct. 21) at the Baird Funeral Home, 36 Water Street, Dundee. A funeral service will be held at 11:00 AM Wednesday (Oct. 22) at the Barrington Community Church with the Rev. Gerald Vanaman officiating. Burial will follow in the Church Cemetery. Memorial Contributions in his memory may be made to Dundee Fire Department or Emergency Squad, 12 Union St.; or the Barrington Community Church, Old Bath Rd. Dundee, NY, 14837. Mr. Simmons was born May 13, 1918 in Rathbone, NY, the son of the late Frank and Ella Welch Simmons. He married the former Isabelle W. Welch in Knoxville, Pennsylvania on September 6, 1939. He has lived on the area since 1951, and in Dundee for the last 33 year. A foundry worker and Group Leader for Ingersoll-Rand in Painted Post, until his retirement in 1981. Mr. Simmons wa a member of I.U.E. Local #313 Retired Members Council in Painted Post, a member and Trustee of the Barrington Community Church, a member of the National Rifle Association and was an avid race fan, hunter and outdoorsman. A loving husband, father, and grandfather, he is loved and will be missed by his wife of 58 years Isabelle W. Simmons at home, 3 sons, Doug A. (Susan) Simmons of Shortsville, NY, Curt F. (Linda) Simmons and Andy S. (Kath) Simmons all of Dundee; 3 daughters, Ellen M. (Richard) Arthurs of Cocoa, FL, Sonja A. (Fred) Cratsley of Wayne, NY, and Rose L. (Michael) Kane of Dundee; 17 grandchildren; 31 great grandchildren; 1 brother, Burdette (Joanne) Simmons of Cortland; 3 sisters, Isabelle (Lewis) Bouton of Woodhull, NY, Dorothy (Sonny) Havlin; and Doris Monahan all of Painted Post; several nieces and nephews, and "friends to numerous to mention".

Mrs. Ella Simpson, 79, died at the home of her son, Harry, in Jasper Friday at 8:45 a.m. She was one of the oldest Jasper residents and she had been ill since April. She was the daughter of Abram and Ann Spencer Freeland. Her husband, Asa Simpson of Jasper, died 7 years ago. She was accustomed to spending her winters in April ??__?? She is survived by 1 daughter; Mrs. Lewis Hill of Addison; 2 sons, Roswell and Harry Simpson of Jasper, 10 grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Albert Button of Jasper; brother Leon Freeland of Canisteo. She was taken from the Williams funeral home to her own home on the West Jasper gulley road, where the funeral was held Sunday at 2:30, Rev. Lewis Kent of West Jasper Wesleyan church officiating. Burial was in Jasper cemetery. Escorts were Clifford Schenck, Leonard Hollenbeck, John Olds, Glenn Scribner, Lyle Heckman, Marshall Warriner. The funeral was largely attended.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) July 16, 1942, page 4, col. 4.

Ralph Simpson the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. D. C. Simpson, died at their home Monday morning after a short illness. He was 21 years old the 24th of last November. He has always made his home with his parents, who with four brothers, Hugh, Ira, Paul and Ivan, survive him. The people of this community join in sympathy for them in their sad bereavement. The funeral was held this (Wednesday) forenoon at 10:30 from the house.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) Mary 24, 1916, page 5, col. 3.

Menzo Sitts, a civil war veteran, died at his home in Railroad street Wednesday night, aged 73 years. He was born at Enfield Center, and since the war had been a resident of Canisteo and Jasper. He leaves his wife and a nephew and niece whom he brought up, Clarence Lamphier of this place and Mrs. Lester Prentice of Greenwood. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house, Rev. Dr. M. J. Hill officiating. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery. Cause of death was cancer of the stomach.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) Wednesday, April 2, 1919, front page, col. 6.

Capt. Benjamin Smead, a practical printer, who had been connected with the press for upwards of 60 years - 50 of which were spent as an editor and publisher of a newspaper - died at Bath, Steuben county, N. Y., on Sunday last, aged 83 years.
Albany Evening Journal (Albany, NY) Friday, August 13, 1858; page 2.

     We have a painful duty to perform, says the Steuben Courier in announcing the death of Captain BENJAMIN SMEAD, of this village, aged 83 years. He was a practical Printer, and was connected with the Press for upwards of sixty years some fifty of which were spent as an editor and publisher of a newspaper. He has been a resident of this county for forty-two years, and has always commanded the respect and confidence of our citizens. He died on Sunday, at half-past 3 o'clock in the afternoon, without any apparent disease save that of age. His lamp of life has been burnign fainter and fainter for the last year, until it expired from lack of ailment simply. He sank away slowly and quietly till pulsation ceased and he was no more.
     Peace to his ashes. He was an honest man and his memory will be cherished by all who knew him.
The Agitator (Wellsborough, PA) Thursday, August 26, 1858; page 2, col. 5.

SMEAD, Capt. Benjamin, Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y., Aug. 8, w. 83, at the residence of his grandson. He was born in Greenfield, Franklin Co., Mass., May 3, 1775. His father, David Smead, was a farmer of high respectability, for 40 years a deacon of the Presbyterian church, for 19 years a representative in the state Assembly, and for may years previous to his death a justice of sessions. Benjamin was the youngest of a family of 12 children. In 1791 the first printing press of the county was established by Thomas Dyckman. At the age of 17 Mr. S. became his apprentice, and served at his trade until he became of age. After attaining his majority he worked as a journeyman in Boston for some monthss, and then entered into partnership with his former master, in the publication of the Federal Galaxy, a small sheet, 10 by 17 inches, four columns wide, printed in the old-style Roman faced type, and upon paper which printers of the present day would reject as wholly unfit for use. The partnership continued for six months, at which time Mr. Dyckman withdrew, and Mr. S. became the sole proprietor of the Galaxy. In 1803 he sold out his paper, and removed to Bennington, Vt., where, in partnership with a gentleman by the name of Haswell, he published the Vermont Gazette. In 1808 this partnership was dissolved, and the Gazette establishment was purchased by a company of wealthy citizens. The paper was continued under Mr. S., as editor and publisher, until 1812. On the breaking out of the war with Great Britain Mr. S. received a lieutenant's commission, and left his printing office for the army. In Aug., 1813, he was promoted to the rank of captain, in which capacity he served till Jan. 8, 1815, the close of the war. In a letter to a friend, of about that date, he says, "On the receipt of the news of peace great hilarity reigned in the camp. Great was the rejoicing throughout the whole army. In our cantonment every soldier seemed to think that the necessity for discipline was over, and there was nothing left to do but to hurrah, and shout, and be merry. In the evening the camp was illuminated by thousands of candles stuck in the snow. Rockets went whizzing up into the cold heavens; cannons boomed, waking the frozen echoes of the mountains; the different companies fo the regiment paraded, and were put through their evolutions with torches in their hands; and gladness and joy seemed to reign supreme." In 1816 he received an invitation signed by Daniel Cruger, Dugald Cameron, George W. Taylor, William B. Rochester, and Gen. George McClure, to establish a democratic paper in the village of Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y. In answer to their invitation, Mr. S., in the fall of 1816, commenced the publication of the Steuben Patriot. In 1818 the name of his paper was changed to that of the Steuben and Alleghany Patriot, under which it was published until 1823, when it was again changed to that of the Steuben Farmer's Advocate. In 1837 he was elected a member of the legislature from Steuben Co., and occupied a high position, while serving in that capacity, for his practical sense and business capacity. In all his career as an editor Mr. S. advocated what he regarded as the right, always. While a close adherent to democratic principles, and a firm supporter of the democratic party, he was the tool of no faction, the follower of no mere leader. What he thought he wrote, and was ready to abide by the consequences. Party affinities were never suffered by him to shield political corruption; and allegiance to the constitution and the laws, allegiance to justice and the right, were with him paramount to mere allegiance to party. He was an honest editor and politician, as well as an honest man; and as such he was respected alike by political friends and foes. He was a terse, pleasant writer, maintaining his personal dignity, and that of his paper, under all circumstances. Mr. S. had five sons, all of whom served an apprenticeship as printers. One of his sons, B. F. Smead, died some years since at Manhattan, O., at which place he edited a paper, having secured a wide-spread fame as the author of several of the most popular campaign songs, and as one of the most pungent and facetious political writers of his day. He was buried with Masonic honors, all the craft in that region being in attendance at his funeral.
Crosby, Hon. Nathan. Annual obituary notices of eminent persons who have died in the United States for 1858 (Boston: John P. Jewett and company, 1859) pgs. 300-301.

     Miss Alice Smith, 81 years old, formerly a teacher at the State Normal School here, died yesterday at her home in Bath, N.Y., following an illness of seven weeks. One sister, Mrs. Frank Brundage, and a nephew, Dr. D. H. Smith both of Bath, survive. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning.
Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, NJ) June 9, 1915; page 2.


     Corning, N.Y., April 23. Mrs. Ann Smith died at Painted Post this afternoon, aged 100 years 1 month and 7 days. Her father was an officer in the War of the Revolution.
The New York Times (New York, NY) April 24, 1894.

At Prattsburgh, Steuben Co., N. Y., Oct. 17, of angina pectoris, Rev. BENJAMIN COLEMAN SMITH, in the sixty-second year of his age - a native of Windsor, Vt.
Vermont Chronicle (Bellows Falls, VT) Tuesday, November 26, 1861; pg. 191; Issue 48; col. F.

WOODHULL: Chas. F. Smith, 67, a lifelong resident of this place died at the home of his daughter Mrs. Charles Groves, Jr., from gangrene of the foot. He leaves a son Melvin Smith of this place; 2 daughters: Mrs. Groves and Mrs. Julia Haughey of Corning.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) Wednesday, February 14, 1923.

MRS. ELIZA SMITH was born July 14, 1803, and died June 9, 1882. Sister Smith was the daughter of Robert and Olive Bonham, the oldest of eight chilren, of whom only two, George S., and Mrs. Sarah Cook survive her, both living in Osceola. Sister Smith was converted at a camp-meeting in Palmyra in 1823. Her active years were spent in Caton, Steuben Co., N.Y. From the time of her conversion she was an earnest, loving worker in the Lord's vineyard, ever ready to hear and obey the Master's call. Endowed by nature and by grace with more than ordinary ease and power of expression she was an efficient helper in the church, the Sunday school, class and prayer-meeting; and through her declining years, when bodily and mental powers failed, by spiritual vision she beheld her Savior's face, and rested in perfect trust upon his promises. She was a subscriber to and a constant reader of the New York Advocate from its first publication. The loved ones who tarry yet upon the shores of time look forward to a glad reunion in the eternal city whose builder and maker is God. W. D. TAYLOR. Osceola, Tioga Co., Pa., July 8, 1882.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, August 31, 1882; pg. 7.

Frank O. Smith died this (Tuesday) morning at 7 o'clock at his home, 271 Oak Hill avenue, from hemorrhage, aged 52 years. Deceased had been confined to the house for the past three months. He leaves a wife and two sons, George and Roy, aged 12 and 13 years respectively, also two brothers, Alfred J. of Rives, and Harley Smith, of this city. Mr. Smith was born in Wayland, Steuben County, N.Y., and came here with his parents 12 years ago, settling on a farm in Blackman. Deceased had been a resident of this city for the past 30 years. He was a member of Jackson lodge, No. 72, A.O.U.W. and of the Odd Fellows. For 25 years he had been employed at the Withington & Cooley shops. The funeral will be held from the house Thursday at 2 p.m. Interment at Woodland Cemetery.
Jackson Citizen Patriot (Michigan) February 23, 1904; pg. 7.

Mrs. Harriet L. Smith
Mrs. Harriet L. Smith entered into rest May 1, 1905, at the home of her niece, Mrs. T. D. Saunders, Hornellsville, N.Y., after a brief illness.
     Mrs. Smith (her maiden name was Harriet L. Purdy) was born in Bath, N.Y., November 29, 1840. When very young she was united in marriage to Pitt Morse Smith, of Thurston, N.Y., their home being on Bonny Hill. Here she found a weak church, to which she gladly gave energy and inspiration. For twenty years she lived at Thurston, with the exception of two years spent in Livonia. Then she and her husband moved to Wellsville, N.Y., where most of her remaining active life was spent. Her life from beginning to end was marked by Christian enthusiasm and zeal. Her time and talents were devoted unsparingly to the work of the church. Fine musical taste and a sweet voice enabled her to be specially usefull in the music of the church. In Wellsville she devoted much time to charitable work, being president of the King's Daughters, and helping God's little ones as did Dorcas of old. Many will well remember her loving devotion to this work. Her former pastor, Dr. Fred H. Coman, wrote to her sister: "She was certainly one of God's faithful, dear children. Her life's influence in Wellsville was as ointment poured forth. She was always so true to her church, active and self-sacrificing in all charitable work. She has received her reward." Rev. Joseph Morrow, another member of the Genesee Conference, who made his home with her in his youth, writes: "I feel bereaved. 'Aunt Hattie' (as old and young loved to call her) seemed very near to me. Her noble, unselfish Christian life had a great influence on me in the formative period of my boyhood. She was one of the most unselfish persons I ever knew. Like her Master she came 'not to be ministered unto but to minister.' Always charitable and cheerful, she carried cheer wherever she went." 
     Mrs. Smith is survived by her husband, four brothers: Charles, Furman, and Harrison Purdy, of Bath (Harrison being her twin brother), John H. Purdy, of Chicago, and one sister, the wife of Rev. D. W. Gates, who all feel most deeply their loss.
     The funeral was conducted by her pastor, Rev. G. Chapman Jones, assisted by Revs. J. E. Williams, Straight, Simmons, and Piper. The loved remains were laid to rest in the beautiful Rural cemetery of Hornellsville, in sure and certain hope of a glorious resurrection, while weeping friends returned to work and wait till "...with the morn those
angel faces smile, Which we have loved long since, and lost a while"
G. C. J.
Newspaper Clipping - unknown Date/Paper

From the Newtown (Tioga) Investigator, Aug. 19.
DISTRESSING ACCIDENT. - On Tuesday the 8th inst. Mr. John Cornwell Smith, who resides in Troupsburgh, Steuben County, accidentally shot his wife. The particulars were related to us by Mr. Smith himself. On Monday morning the 7th, he discovered some deer in the meadow adjoining his house, and on Tuesday morning he arose very early with a view of endeavoring to kill them, but it being yet dark he went to bed again; some time after he got up a second time, and from his door saw a deer feeding, he immediately took down his rifle, but it was rather dark to shoot with certainty, he waited a few minutes. In the mean time he prepared his piece by fresh priming; and at the instant he was rising to go to the door to shoot the deer, his rifle accidentally slipped from his hands, and in endeavoring to recover it in his right hand struck the cock, when it went off, and the whole contents passed through the left shoulder and head of his wife, who lay sleeping in the bed with her child of about eleven months old in her arms, which was preserved from the fate of her mother. The feelings of the bereaved husband at this time can be better conceived than described. He seized his infant in a state of distraction, and carrying it ran to his father's about a mile distant, (being the nearest neighbour) and related the dreadful catastrophe. The neighbours immediately collected at the fatal spot, and found Mrs. Smith lifeless in bed. She was buried on the Thursday following. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were young people, they had not been married two years, and it is said they have always lived together in the most happy and agreeable manner. He appears to feel sensibly and deeply the full force of this afflicting dispensation. We hope this melancholy accident may have a tendency to make people more careful in handling fire arms.
The National Advocate, for the Country, (New York, NY) August 25, 1820, Issue 705; col. E.

On the 16th inst. in Steuben county, New York, R. WALN SMITH, son of Thomas W. Smith , of this city.
The North American and Daily Advertiser (Philadelphia, PA) Thursday, September 25, 1845; Issue 2021; col. D.

SARAH J. SMITH, wife of Charles W. Smith, died at her home in Wayne, Steuben Co., N.Y., Dec. 2, 1878, in her 50th year. She had been a great sufferer more than three years. During her long sickness she exhibited the utmost Christian confidence, and gently passed away with an unfaltering trust in God. She joined the Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of seventeen. Her life was marked by those traits that pre-eminently adorn the Christian character. She leaves her husband and four children to mourn her loss. C. G. CURTISS.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, March 13, 1879; pg. 7.

SPAULDING. - Garridus Spaulding died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Eliza Ingolsby, in the town of VanBuren, N.Y., Feb. 24, 1887. He was born near Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y., Dec. 23, 1803, and his second birth to a religious life was in the town of Fayette, N.Y., under the labors of the then celebrated evangelist, Elder Jacob Knapp, and after walking for a time with another church, of late years his relations were with the Methodist Episcopal church at Warners. In age and feebleness and pain he ceased not to pray, and it is believed that when the last hour came, underneath were the everlasting arms. One son survives him, in distant India, with the daughter, of all his family, and she failed not in her constancy of attentions to his wants. To have lived past the four score, and to have lived well in such years as of this century, is not to have
lived in vain. By the sacred dust of his wife his remains were given a place in hope of a better resurrection. J.C.H.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, March 24, 1887; pg. 7.

A Well known Native of Jasper Has Passed to His Reward.
The Bradford Evening Star of September 7 contained the following notice of the death of Oscar F. Spencer, who was well and favorably known in this place:
"Oscar F. Spencer, aged 69 years, died at his home, No. 325 East Main street, last night at 10:0 o'clock. His death followed a long period of illness. For the past 17 weeks he had been bed-ridden.
"Mr. Spencer was a native of Jasper, Steuben county, New York. He came to Bradford from Williamsport 34 years ago and started a confectionary business in the Sixth ward, which was then known as Tarport. His business beginning was small, but the the display of untiring energy and business acumen, he suceeded in finally establishing one of the substantial mercantile establishments of this city. During his 34 years' business career in Bradford he became widely known and was a man generally respected and admired. Many friends will regret to learn of his death.
"Deceased was a member of the Union lodge, No. 334, F. & A. M.; Bradford chapter, No. 26, R. A. M.; Trinity Commandery No. 58; Knights Templar and Knights of the Maccabees and was also identified with the Bradford Wholesale Grocers' association and the Bradford Business Mens' association. He is survived by his widow, one daughter, Mabel, and one son, Howard Spencer, both of this city; a sister, Mrs. S. B. Hardy of Lewis, Kan., and one brother, A. J. Spencer of Jasper."
"Funeral services will be conducted on Monday of next week. Services will be held at the family residence at 2 p.m., Rev. W. M. Courson, pastor of the First Baptist church officiating. H. S. Southard, Jr., will sing F. E. Tours' "He Giveth His Beloved Sleep." Interment will be at Oak Hill.
"The pall bearers will be the following clerks of the Spencer store: Frank Reidy, Clifford Stevens, William Burger, Wayne Hamilton, L. Smart and William Lee. The following Knights Templar will act as honorary pall bearers: James Neese, H. Gayton, H. C. Jones, John Reca, R. C. Pollock and F. O. Hane.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) September, 1912.

Man Who Made Martine United States Senator Passed Away at Sister's Home
     William W. St. John, one of the best known New Jersey newspaper men, died this morning, at his old home in Bath, New York. Mr. St. John had been a victim of tuberculosis for many years and during the past winter had been residing with his sister's family at Bath.
     Mr. St. John had been identified with many New York and New Jersey newspapers, and was the founder of the Elizabeth Evening Times. He was responsible for the selection of James E. Martine, as United States Senator, and at the urgent request of many progressive Democrats of the state, consented to serve as private secretary to Martine, although he was personally very much opposed to newspaper men occupying public office of an appcintive kind.
     Martine was put into the Senatorial race at the last minute in the fall of 1910 by St. John, after several efforts had been made to get other progressive Democrats to enter the field. It was the first test of the direct primary law for choosing United States Senators, and the Republicans were respecting the law, former Governors Murphy and Stokes and Congressman Fowler have entered the race.
     None of the active progressive Democrats were inclined to enter because of the general feeling that there was no chance of electing a Democratic Legislature, and because of the further fact that former Senator James Smith, Jr., of Newark, had complete control of the party machinery.
     In this situation, St. John telephoned to Martine, who was always ready to become a candidate for any office and who had been defeated more often than any other man in the state. Martine, readily consented and St. John took charge of the campaign, issuing many statements in Martine's name. St. John was sincere in his belief that Martine was honest and that he could be relied upon to vote right on important measures that might come before the Senate. He never believed Martin to be a stateman, neither did he look upon him as simply a clown, as was the belief of so many other Democrats.
     The campaign that St. John directed was a most picturesque one. All of the independent newspapers of the state were strongly in favor of the direct primary idea, and urged that the Legislature should accept the verdict of the people, regardless of the character of the man who would benefit by the result. Governor Wilson took up the fight and it was the first really great political battle of his career. He won readily enough, and Martine went to Washington.
     While St. John's health held out, he stayed in Washington, and kept Martine from doing ridiculous things. But his health became so bad last fall that he was not able to return to the national capital, and the queer antics that Martine has been cutting up since he has been without St. John, have caused much merriment throughout the whole country.
Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, NJ) May 19, 1913; page 1.

     Services over the body of William W. St. John, secretary to Senator Martine and formerly a local newspaper man, will be conducted this afternoon at 4 o'clock, at the home of his sister, Mrs. Charles Tate, at Bath, N.Y., where he died.
     Interment will be in Linden Park Cemetery, where a brief service will be conducted at the grave.
     Mr. St. John's body will be buried beside that of his wife, who died in Trenton a few years ago.
Trenton Evening News (Trenton, NJ) May 21, 1913; page 2

At Bradford, Arad Stebbins, 67.
New-York Spectator (New York, NY) Friday, July 11, 1828; col. F.

At Painted Post, Steuben county, on the 35th March, Mrs. Mary Steele, wife of William Steele, in the 65th year of her age. In the death of this amiable and excellent lady, her family and friends have experienced a sore bereavement, the poor and the afflicted have lost a friend and a counsellor, the circle in which she moved, one of its chiefest ornaments, and the Christian Church a most faithful and consistent member. In "the daily beauty of her life" she exhibited the power and the loveliness of the religion she professed, and her death, which was peaceful & happy, afforded to her sorrowing friends the consoling assurance, that her spirit has but exchanged an earthly tabernacle for "an House, not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens."
New York Spectator, (New York, NY) April 17, 1834; col. E.

At Mobile, of the prevailing fever, on the 23d of September, WILLIAM F. STEELE, Attorney at Law, aged 31 years.
Also, at Painted Post, Steuben county, N.Y., on the 10th inst. GEORGE WARNER STEELE, aged 21 years, both sons of William Steele, Esq. of the latter place.
New York Spectator, (New York, NY) October 27, 1826; col. F.

The body of William Steinke, a German resident of Hornell was found floating in the Canisteo river near the three mile dam just west of Gang Mills Saturday night by Frank Haradon and several other fishermen from Corning. Steinke went to Addison to spend the Fourth and probably fell into the river. The heavy rains washed the body down stream before it was discovered. It was identified by means of a bank book found on the person.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) July 10, 1907

STEPHENS - At Englewood, Oct. 20, Mauddie, daughter of Scott and Ella Stephens. Hornellsville (Steuben County, Ohio) papers copy.
Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL) Wednesday, October 22, 1879; pg. 8; Issue 173; col. F.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Ia., March 30. - R. D. Stephens, president of the Merchants' National Bank of Cedar Rapids and the First National Bank of Marion died at his home in this city at 2 o'clock this morning in the 54th year of his age. He was born in Steuben County, N. Y., and settled in Marion in 1855. He was prominent in all public enterprises and represented Linn County in the Iowa Legislature in the session of 1880, in which body he attained a high position. His funeral will take place on Monday.
The Milwaukee Sentinel (Milwaukee, WI) Saturday, March 31, 1883; pg. 2; col. F.

In Canisteo, on Monday 5th, Mr. WM. STEPHENS, aged 78 years. Mr. S., was a member of the Masonic order, and his remains were followed to the grave by some 150 members of the order, besides a large concourse of relatives and friends. He has lived on the same farm that he occupied at the time of his death, since 1789.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, November 14, 1855.

Frank H. Sterling, of East Main street Canisteo, N.Y., died of dropsey on Dec. 15th, 1887, aged 35 years, on Oct. 31st, 1887. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Sterling, of Millport, N.Y., both deceased, (his mother was Celia Crandall, daughter of Major General Crandall, deceased,) and being left an orphan at an early age was adopted by his Uncle Frank Babcock, of Millport, N.Y. At the age of 18 years he went for himself and ever labored honestly and manfully to gain an honest living.
On Dec. 20th, 1876, deceased and Miss Helen L. Davis were married, and their domestic relations have been of the most genial and happy, but few being so much so. One child a daughter was born unto them on April 8th, 1878. Her name is Blanche, a promising girl, who with her mother keenly feel the ireparable loss that they have sustained in the death of a kind, devoted husband and father. Deceased for nine years previous to his coming to Canisteo was employed on the U.I. & E. Railroad and toward the last was appointed a conducter, but at the request of his wife and desiring to please her, give up railroading, and then, about five years ago, came to Canisteo and bought the stock of goods belonging to the E. E. Stewart estate, and did business at the place where the goods were at that time until his death. Several years since he was converted, and although he never joined any church he lived, an honest, good man, and said a few hours before his death, "I am happy and feel so that I would like to sing" and expressed himself as having clear and strong hopes of the reward of the faithful, an eternity with the redeemed. He leaves a brother, Hamilton Sterling, of Hornellsville, and two sisters, Mrs. Ellen Dunham, of Watkins, and Mrs. Susan Palmer, of Parsons City, Kansas, was a member of the Equitable Aid Union, the accountant and vice-president of the organization, and his life was insured therein for $2,880.00 payable to his heirs.
The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church, the Rev. L. W. Jackson assisted by Rev. Duncan Cameron officiating, and the remains were interred in Hillside Cemetery. C.W.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, N.Y) December 22, 1887; page 3, col. 6.

Indian Murder. - Genesee Register, Sept. 28.
We understand that five Indians belonging to Squaka Hill, about six miles from this place, were committed to jail in Bath, Steuben county, on Thursday last, charged with the murder of Mr. Joshua Stevens, of Canesteo. We have not yet learned all the particulars of this tragical affair, though it appears that the Indians had gone to Canesteo for a fall hunt; two of them having procured a quanity of whiskey, had separated fromt he others, when Mr. Stevens, who was looking for his cattle, happened to be passing near the intoxicated Indians, was fired upon by one of them, named Old Sundown; the ball passed through his hand which was at the time on or near his hip, and through the abdomen. Next morning the body of Mr. S. was found on the spot where he was fired upon by the Indians from which it appears that he died instantly.
The few Indians who remain in this quarter, are in general civil, and peaceably disposed, especially towards white people - indeed this is the only act of lawless outrage committed by them on any white person, which we have heard of in many years.
Georgetown Gazette, October 18, 1825.

The sad news of the death of Prof. R. L. Stevenson at Southport, Indiana, reached here last week. The funeral and burial took place there on Friday. He leaves his wife, formerly Miss Mabel Kellogg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Silas J. Kellogg of this place, and one daughter, three years old. She has the sympathy of her many friends in this place in her sad bereavement. Prof. Stevenson was an instructor in Cornell university, and was a young man of winning disposition and fine intellect. He died a victim of tuberculosis and his untimely death is the cause of deep grief to all who knew him.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) Wednesday, January 30, 1918; page 1, col. 1.

Eugene Stewart has received the sad news that his son Carl was killed in battle on Oct. 12. He had been in the U. S. service for some time. He carried an insurance of $10,000 which is to be shared equally by his father and a sister, Mrs. Mary Peck. Mr. Stewart has another son in the service who has not been heard from in some time.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) January 8, 1919; page 4, column 1.

Mrs. Edgar Stewart.
A sad death occurred at Adrian Saturday night when Mrs. Edgar Stewart passed away, aged 34 years. She leaves her husband and four young children, Cecil, Raymond, Grace and Helen; her father, Chas. Jackson of Hornell; three sisters, Mrs. Myrtle Mills of Hornell, Mrs. M. M. Maxfield and Mrs. Ernest Allison of Adrian, and one brother Fred Jackson of Adrian. The youngest child left was born on Tuesday preceding her mother's death.
The funeral was held at 11 o'clock yesterday from the Adrian church, Rev. C. S. Roush officiating. Burial in the Stephens cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) April 26, 1916; front page.

STILES. - Anson Stiles was born in East Troupsburg, N.Y., Feb. 26, 1822, and died in the same town April 13, 1897, aged 75 years. He was married to Miss Caroline R. Hayes Feb. 14, 1850. They resided a few miles from their birthplaces until he died. He had been in ill health for some years and for several months he was very frail. Last fall
on account of sickness they were kindly invited to the home of his nephew, Collin Stiles, where he quietly and peacefully passed to the better home. He was able to sit up the day that he died, and on the morning of the 12th he led in prayer at family worship. In the evening, as his wife was assisting him in preparing to retire for the night, his head drooped and in a few moments he breathed his last. Uncle Anson, as he was generally known, was a devout man of God, well known for his sterling integrity and righteous life. He was converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in early youth. At his marriage he established the family altar and the altar fires never went out. He was for years steward, class-leader of trustee of the church, and though he ever shrank from publicity, he was always true to his office and work. After such a life it is needless to say that his end was peace, for it is always so. Calm resignation and peaceful trust in God were his unto the very end. The funeral services were conducted by his pastor, the Rev. J. Morrow, who used as his text Acts 11:24: "For he was a good man and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith." At the services the chair which he usually occupied when at church was dreaped in mourning. His body was tenderly laid to rest in Chenango cemetery to await the resurrection of the just. His widow tarries in loneliness and sorrow. But it will be but for a few years then there will surely be a glad reunion. They had no children, but in their early married life they took a child whose mother had died and reared him to manhood. He is a member of the North Nebrasa Conference and is now sationed at South Omaha. Brother Stiles welcomed the weekly visits of the Northern Christian Advocate to his home for nearly fifty years. D.C.W.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Wednesday, June 23, 1897; pg. 15.

Mrs. Caroline R. Stiles
CAROLINE R. Hayes was born in Jasper, Steuben county, N.Y., May 28, 1825, where she spent her girlhood days, taught school, and on February 14, 1850 was married to Anson Stiles, and settled on a farm in East Troupsburg, where they lived until his death, about ten years ago. She afterward made her home with her nephew, Collins Stiles, and spent some years with her foster son, Rev. Dr. D. C. Winship, in Nebraska.
    Her death occured at the home of William Stiles, at Cowanesque, Pa., June 7, 1907, where she had gone on a visit a few days before.
    She was converted at the age of sixteen years, and united with the Methodist Episcopal church of which she remained a faithful member until her death. She was well known by a large circle of friends, and is greatly missed by them. She was patient, kind and considerate, and, though very lonely after the death of her husband, kept a cheerful spirit, but looked wistfully forward to the time when she should rejoin the loved ones on the other side.
     The funeral services were held at the Chenango church at East Troupsburg, and conducted by the pastor, the Rev. John Brown, who gave a very impressive and appropriate sermon, after which her body was laid to rest by the side of her husband in the Chenango cemetery. D.C.W.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, January 23, 1908; pg. 9.

In this village, March 16th, at the residence of Mr. J. N. Robinson, Mrs. POLLY STILLSON, aged eighty-two years.
The Voice of the Nation (Addison, NY) Wednesday, March 28, 1855.

In Kennedyville, on the 8th inst. an infant son of Mr. Jason H. Stone.
The Farmer's Advocate (Bath, NY) September 14, 1831.

STONE - Martha E. Stone, daughter of Rev. E. J. Batchelder, of Genesee Conference, and wife of Prentice B. Stone, was born in Jasper, N.Y., May 9, 1843 and died in the same town July 16, 1885, of apoplexy followed by softening of the brain. She was converted at the age of twelve and soon united with the Methodist Protestant church. Eight years ago she connected herself with the Methodist Episcopal church of Jasper. Though naturally retiring in disposition she here became a most efficient worker. She accepted duties as such. At the time of her death she had a Sunday-school class of seventeen young ladies; besided she was superintendent of the Home Department of the Missionary Society and president of the Ladies' Aid society. Though her duties were so numerous she did her work well. The members of her Sunday-school class will not soon forget her efforts to win them to Christ. "She hath done what she could," Sister Stone endeared herself to the church by her beautiful Christian character. She was possessed of a sweet spirit. Her religious experience was clear and progressive. Though living three miles from church her place in the sanctuary was seldom vacant - either at the public service or the prayer-meeting or class-meeting. Sister Stone frequently expressed herself as desiring to be ready when the Master might call; he did call and that suddenly. She was present with her class at the morning service on Children's Day. Just before the evening service she was taken with a violent headache. She was soon in a state of stupor from which it was difficult to arouse her. Medical skill was in vain. She was not lucid again except a moment at a time. For five weeks she gradually passed towards the river's brink, then she simply stopped breathing - the Master took her to Himself. Though missed by the church and community she is missed more in her home. She was a faithful wife and mother. May Divine grace sustain her husband and three surviving children til the reunion in the better land. The following resolutions (preamble omitted) reported by the Sunday-school committee on resolutions are self-explanatory:
 "Resolved - That by the death of our co-laborer teacher and friend, Sister Martha E. Stone, Jasper Methodist Episcopal Sabbath School has lost a worthy and useful
member and as a school we deeply mourn the loss.
 Resolved - That we sincerely sympathize with her bereaved husband and family in their sad affliction, and that we invoke the aid of Deity to help them during the dark hours of their mourning: and that this preamble and resolutions be recorded in the Sabbath school secretary's book, also that a copy of the same be presented to the family of our deceased sister.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, August 27, 1885; pg. 7.

Cohocton - Dec. 24,1899.
     James Stouton a farmer on Lent Hill died Sunday morning, Dec. 24, after a short illness of typhoid fever. He leaves a wife, two children, one sister and mother, besides a host of relatives and friends to mourn his loss.
Hornellsville Weekly Times (Hornellsville, NY) Friday, December 29, 1899; page 8, col. 2.

STREET. - John Street died at his residence on Addison Hill, N.Y., Sunday noon, March 13, 1887. He was born April 7, 1817. The early part of his life was spent in the
township of Pellum, Ont. In 1867 he moved to Steuben Co., N.Y., and for the past few years has done business at Addison Hill. He was a man of upright character, and commanded the respect and esteem of all. Brother Street was converted when about ten years old, and was received into the church by Rev. Dr. Ephraim Evans, of Canada. He was ready and willing to bear his share of the expenses of the church. He was always the friend of the minister, and frowned down any gossip unfavorable to his usefulness. He was a man of much prayer, and was a regular attendant upon church and the social means of grace. Brother Street was ready to die. He leaves a lonely widow and an only son to mourn their loss. His body was buried at Addison Hill to await the resurrection morn. E.G.W. HALL.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, April 28, 1887; pg.7.

In this town, on Wednesday evening last, Mr. JOHN STRONG, aged 33 years, from the bursting of blood vessels.
The Farmer's Advocate (Bath, NY) October 19, 1831.

At Prattsburg, Steuben co., N. Y., 7th inst., Mr. Nathan Strong, formerly of Northampton, Mass., 92 yrs. 8 mos., a revolutionary pensioner.
The Boston Daily Atlas (Boston, MA) Friday, March 10, 1848; Issue 216; col. F.

STRYKER. - Isaac Stryker was born in New Jersey in 1813, and died in Greenwood, Steuben Co., N.Y., April 14, 1890. He was converted in 1850, through the labors of the Rev. Samuel Nichols, and with his wife united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he remained a faithful member until called to his final reward. He buried his only child, a promising son, in 1870. A heart-broken widow mourns he rloss. The class of which he was a member misses him greatly. G. W. GIBSON.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Thursday, June 19, 1890; pg. 7.

JASPER, N. Y., Oct. 9. - Mrs. Anna Sullivan, 81, wife of the late James Sullivan, was found dead on the floor of her home in this village on Tuesday morning by Mrs. Seymour Heckman, a neighbor, Mrs. Sullivan lived alone. She had the habit of placing a newspaper over the window when she retired and taking it down in the morning. Mrs. Heckman saw the newspaper still position in the forenoon. She went to see if anything was the matter. The screen door was hooked and entrance was made through a window.
Mrs. Sullivan's body was found lying on the floor. She had eaten her breakfast and fell over the victim of heart disease. Coroner G. L. Whiting of Canisteo was called and ascertained the cause of her death. She leaves no near relatives.
She was born at Big Flats Sept. 15, 1854 and had lived in Jasper after her 5th year. She was the daughter of Joseph and Christina Rheinhardt Zeh. The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 p. m., from the Jason H. Frane funeral home. Burial in Jasper cemetery.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) October 10, 1935; front page, col. 6.

Funeral of
Mrs. Anna Sullivan
Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the J. H. France funeral home for Mrs. Anna Sullivan, who was found dead in her home Tuesday morning. Rev. W. C. Gates conducted the rites and burial was made in Jasper cemetery. Mrs. Sullivan was well known and held in highest respect by all who knew her. She was the last member of a family of six children born to Joseph and Christina Rhinehart Zeh. Her husband James Sullivan, died 16 years ago. Several nieces and nephews survive as follows: Mrs. Carrie Drake, Mrs. Clayton Marlatt, Mrs. Claude Butler, Mrs. Roswell Simpson, Mrs. George Hoyt, Charles Perry and George Zeh all of Jasper. Also several great nieces and nephews.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) October 17, 1935.

James Sullivan died at his home in this village Wednesday evening. He had been a great sufferer from asthma for years and for the past two months he had been confined to his home. Mr. Sullivan was born in the town of Jasper 64 years ago. He was a stone mason by trade and was an honest, hard working man. Forty years ago he married Anna Zeh and together they have toiled and built up their home. He was highly esteemed by all who knew him and was a kind and obliging neighbor and friend. The funeral was held from the house on Friday at 2 p.m. Rev. T. V. Moore officiating. Burial in Jasper cemetery. He is survived by his wife and one sister, Mrs. Alfred Zeh.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) February 12, 1919, page 5, col. 3.

     Word has been received here of the death of Asa Sumner of Wayne, a former resident of this town.
Hornellsville Weekly Tribune (Hornellsville, NY) Friday, December 22, 1899; page 5, col. 5.

Death of William R. Sutton
     William R. Sutton, one of Avoca's leading business men died suddenly last Friday night, aged 44 years. He had been suffering with rheumatism for some time but no serious results were expected. He was taken suddenly worse, the heart being affected, and at ten o'clock Friday night he breathed his last. He was born in Coopers in 1852 and as a young man he entered the store of H. W. Perine in Bath where his parents had removed. He held the position of cashier for many years and was for a time a member of the firm. The partnership was dissolved in 1884 and he removed to Avoca where in company with the late Samuel Carnochan he entered the mercantile business. Mr. Carnochan was compelled to retire by ill health and since that time Mr. Sutton has conducted the business alone. He was a man who was highly esteemed and universally respected.
     His wife who is a daughter of M. C. Purdy of this village, five children, an aged mother and three brothers, Dr. O. W. Sutton of Bath, Dr. F. L. Sutton of Canisteo, and
Rev. Clarence Sutton of Almond, survive him.
     The funeral was under the auspices of the Masonic lodge of Avoca, assisted by the brethren of Bath and Cohocton. The remains were interred in Grove cemetery in this village and were escorted there by the Masons, the Avoca and Edwin Cook Hose companies and members of the Royal Arcanum. It was largely attended, showing the warm place he held in the hearts of all. A further tribute will be found in our Avoca items.
Newspaper Clipping - unknown Date/Paper

     The community was startled Friday evening of last week by the sad news that Wm. R. Sutton, our well-known and highly respected merchant was found dead. It was not generally known that he was dangerously ill, but the disease, rheumatism, had reached the heart, stilling it forever. He was well and favorably known, having been connected for many years with the large dry goods house of H. W. Perine & Co. of Bath, but about ten years ago he in company with Mr. S. Carnochan started the successful merchandise firm of Carnochan & Sutton in this village. Later, on the failure of Mr. Carnochan's health, which compelled him to withdraw from the firm, Mr. Sutton bought out the business and continued it very successfuly, making a host of friends by his honest and upright dealings. He leaves a wife, four sons and one daughter, three brothers and many other relatives. His funeral was attended Monday from his late residence, being under the direction of the Masonic lodge and attended by the Hose company and K.O.T.M., of all of which he was an honored member. Burial at Bath.
Newspaper Clipping - unknown date/paper.

Another of Jasper's aged and respected citizens passed on to the great majority in the person of Mrs. Chester Sweet, who died at her home in this village last Friday after a brief illness of a few days. She had been in feeble health for several years but was able to assist in the household duties until stricken only a short time before her death.
The funeral was held from the Jasper M. E. church Sunday at 2 o'clock p. m., Rev. J. H. Sandmyer officiating.
Mrs. Maria Melvina Rushmore Sweet was born at Renssalaer, near Albany, 74 years ago and came to Jasper with her husband and family a number of years ago.
Mrs. Sweet was known by a wide circle of friends as one of the most exemplary christians in the community. She was a most active worker in all departments of Christian endeavor and was a member of the M. E. church 31 years.
She leaves a husband Chester Sweet and two children, Mrs. Emma Ingersoll of Jasper and Amasa Sweet of Hornell and five grand children to mourn her loss. A host of friends unite in extending sympathy in their great sorrow.
She was laid at rest in Jasper Cemetery.
Canisteo Times, (Canisteo, NY) March 1, 1911.

TROUPSBURG, N. Y., June 17. - This community was saddened by the news received Saturday morning of the death in France of Floyd Symonds, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Symonds of East Troupsburg. The particulars of his death have not yet been learned and may never be, as the notice came "killed in action on or near May 29th." He enlisted about a year ago, going in training at Camp Dix, where he remained only a short time. He has always written cheerful and enthusiastic letters from the front, his last letter stating that he would soon be doing his usual work about the farm.
He leaves besides his parents, two brothers, Martin and Waldo. The entire community joins in sympathy for the family.
Canisteo Times (Canisteo, NY) June 19, 1918; page 1, col.4.