Genealogy Trails Logo
RESOURCES Steuben County Steuben Co NY Map
New York

Compiled and Edited By Millard F. Roberts,

Publisher, SYRACUSE, N. Y. 1891.
*Transcribed by Jennifer Morse,  2008*



     ADDISON,* originally a part of the old town of Painted Post, was organized as Middletown at the time of the organization of Steuben county in March, 1796. The name was changed to Addison, in honor of Joseph Addison, the English author, on April 6, 1808. The early settlers called it also "Tuscarora." It is an interior town, situated southeast of the centre of the county, and lies upon both sides of the Canisteo river. It is bounded north by Thurston and a part of Campbell, east by Erwin, south by Tuscarora and west by Rathbone. The surface is a hilly upland, broken by the valley of the Canisteo and its branches. The principal valley is about one mile wide and is bordered by steep hillsides rising from three to four hundred feet. The chief streams are the Canisteo river, Tuscarora and Goodhue creeks. Goodhue lake, in the northwest corner of the town, covers an area of about fifty acres. The alluvial soil of the valleys is rich and productive; on the hills it is clay mixed with the debris of broken shale, and compares favorably with the average farming lands of the county. The population of the town in 1890 was 2,884.
     The first settlement was made by Samuel Rice in 1791. Mr. Rice was born about fifteen miles from the city of New Haven, Conn., and when but fifteen years of age entered the war of the revolution and served about six months. From Connecticut he moved to the state of New Hampshire, thence to Chenango county in this state. His settlement in Addison was made a short distance up Tuscarora creek, near the Wombough mills, where he built the first house erected by a white man in this town. He married Lucretia Martin. Their son Stephen, born April 5, 1791, was the first white child born in the town. Mr. Rice moved with his family to Troupsburgh in 1805, of which town also they were the pioneers.
     Of those who soon followed Mr. Rice in the settlement of Addison were Reuben and Lemuel Searles, Oliver MIller, George Goodhue, who had previously settled near Painted Post; John Martin, Jonathan

    *For a portion of this sketch we are indebted to the late Rev. J. H. Blades.


Tracy, Abel White, Isaac and James Martin, James Benham, Asahel Stiles, Silas Morey, Elisha Gilbert, Lemuel Stiles, William Wombough and Martin Young. The latter came into the country with Col. Arthur Erwin. He subsequently settled on the road to Rathboneville, just within the present western boundary line of the town of Addison. He moved to Minnesota, where he died not many years since, having almost attained the age of one hundred years. Lemuel Searles was the next resident below Mr. Young. He occupied the George Underwood farm. John Martin, with a numerous family, lived next below; then some years later James Baldwin settled on the next farm east; and at the B. Jenning's place lived James Jones, who built a hotel at Cameron about 1823.
     Asahel Stiles built a log house near the present site of the Erie depot, and there are apple trees still standing upon the bank in rear of that depot that Mr. Stiles set out. His mother, a very aged woman, came here with the family. On one occasion she was left at home alone, and upon the return of the family she informed them that "a big black dog" had been sitting for some time on the ice in the river. Younger members of the family, with better eyesight than she possessed, soon discovered that what she had mistaken for a dog was in reality a bear. "Uncle" Samuel Rice, who was calling at the Stiles house at the time, took up a club and approaching the bear, struck him. Bruin resented such a salute, and, with a deep growl, turned on his assailant. Mr. Rice retreated as fast as he could, which was not very rapid as he had to adopt a peculiar sliding gait in order to avoid raising his heels too near the snout of the infuriated beast, which was close upon him. Mr. Stiles at this juncture came to the rescue with a heavy hoe, such as in those days were made by the local blacksmiths, and striking the bear a stunning blow upon the head, felled him, after which he was killed and dressed. The Stiles family, with some others of the first settlers, used to attend church at Canandaigua, eighty miles distant.
     The streams in those days were literally alive with the finny tribe. Shad and eel from the Chesapeake Bay; trout, pickerel, bull-head, bass, and many other varieties were found.
     This was one of the most famous pine-lumber regions in the state of New York, and it was also a central point of resort for all the lumbermen on the norther border of Pennsylvania and what now constitutes Tuscarora, Woodhull, Jasper, Greenwood and Hornellsville; and in the spring, year after year, the surface of the Canisteo river was one universal sheet of rafts from Hornellsville to the "Deadwater," as Addison was then called. And it had been told repeatedly by most reputable persons that at this time a man could walk from Addison to Hornellsville on rafts, except where there was a dam or swift water where rafts could


 not be landed. And this explains the fact that the Canisteo Valley raftsmen were said to be the most efficient managers of a raft in high water, to be found in all the country.
     The first properly authorized town-record now in existence bears date October 20, 1799, and commences its history by publishing certain strayed animals, and by whom taken up or cared for. For illustration:
     "Taken up by John Martin, Sept. 7th, 1802, a chestnut-brown horse three years old. Taken up by Lemuel Benham the 10th day of May, 1803, a red roan horse, three years old, and had a bell on, and a dog 'tended him. Came to the plantation of Sam'l Cole about the first of October, in the year 1805 a small ram sheep with horns, has a crop on left ear." And on the margin of the record is written "sold."
     And then follows a long series of legalized ear-marks for sheep with the several names of owners of said flocks affixed.
     This is followed by a record of the first town meeting, held in and for the town of Middletown, as follows:
     "Votes and proceedings of a town meeting held in and for the town of Middletown, on the first Tuesday in April, 1797. Oliver MIller, town clerk; Reuben Stiles, supervisor; Lemuel Searl, constable; Jonathan Tracy, Asahel Styles, poor-masters; John Martin, George Goodhue, Stephen Dolson, commissioners of highways; Lemuel Searl, collector; Abel White, Jonathan Tracey, Oliver Miller, school commissioners; Reuben Searl, James Benham, poor-masters; Elisha Gilbert, Silas Mory, fence-viewers; Reuben Searl, pound-keeper. Voted that Reuben Searl's barn-yard, be a town-pound. Reuben Searl, George Goodhue, John Wyman, John Martin, committe for settling with town of Painted Post." This committee was necessary as Painted Post was previously connected with the town of Middletown, and when the territory was divided certain monies were left in the town-treasury of Middletown that belonged to Painted Post.
     "Voted, that a lawful fence be four feet and a half high, and but five inches between rails. John Loton, sealer of weights and measures. Voted that a ferry be kept near where the road crosses the river, and that three pence be the charge for a man to cross. That town-meeting be held in school-house, in said town for the year ensuing. Reuben Searl to take care of the fire, and Timothy Searl, was appointed to take care of the school-house."
     This item is a very important feature in the early history of the town of Middletown and augured that rapid progress in civilization would be the result, as this in all probability was the first school-house ever built in the county of Steuben. If it did not have a right to the honor of being the first institution of learning, ever erected in the county, it must have been very nearly so.
     The next town meeting for the town of Middletown, was held the first Tuesday in April, 1798. Oliver Miller was elected town clerk; Reuben Searl re-elected supervisor; Jonathan Tracy, George Martin and John Martin, were elected assessors; Robert Martin and Jonathan Tracy,


overseers of the poor; John Martin, Stephen Dolson and Asa Comstock, were elected commissioners of highways; Reuben Searl Jr., William Morey, constables; Robert Martin, William Morey and Asa Comstock, path-masters; James Benham, Asahel Stiles, Elisha Stiles, fence-viewers. Voted that Reuben Searl's barn-yard be a town-pound, Reuben Searl be pound keeper; Abel White Esq., Oliver Miller, Reuben Searl Jr., school commissioners. "Fence-viewers wages be four shillings per day. Lawful fence the same as last year. Voted that a sign-post be errected on the north side of the river where the bridge is to cross the river." It is evident from this resolution, that the town was seriously contemplating building a bridge across the Canisteo river.
     "Voted that town meeting be held at the school-house for the ensuing year."
     On the account of its intense interest in some of its peculiar features, we will cite at least a part of the town meeting for the year 1799;
     "Held on the second day of April of said year. At this meeting Oliver Miller was elected town clerk; Reuben Searl re-elected to the office of supervisor; Jonathan Tracy, John Martin and George Martin, assessors; Asa Comstock, John Martin, Henry Tracy, commissioners of the poor; Reuben Searl, Jr., constable and collector; Elisha Gilbert, Peter Young and John Van Camp, path-masters; Oliver Miller, Reuben Searl and Abel White, commissioners of schools; Asahel Stiles, Robert Martin, Timothy Searl, re-elected fence-viewers.
     "Voted five pound fine for any entire horse being allowed to run on the commons after two years old. To be recovered by any person taking up the same against the owner.
     "Voted that a tax be made of twenty dollars, to be raised for the support of the poor. To be paid in produce."
     And then follows one of the most startling statements that could possibly come under the eye of the reader, viz., that at such a late date as 1801, only ninety years ago, Middletown was cursed with that "sum of all villainies," human slavery - hence the following:
     "Middletown, January 20th, 1801. - Recorded two slaves for the widow Lace. The age of Nancy four years, the age of Samuel Hawkins three years and three months.
     "Middletown the 9th day of March, 1801. - Recorded two slaves for Thomas Thissel, the age of Luce 15 years, the age of Will 11 years."
     In the notes of the proceedings of the town meeting for 1803 various monies were paid to Jonathan Tracy, town clerk, for the purpose of building a bridge in Middletown, doubtless the first that ever spanned the waters of the Canisteo river. The following record contains the first tangible evidence of the existence of a board of excise:
     "Be it remembered that we, the commissioners of excise for Middletown, in the county of Steuben, have resolved, and liscensed the following persons to Keep public Inns or Taverns in said Middletown for


the year 1803, viz: Elisha Searl, Elisha Gilbert, Robert Martin and Lemuel Benham, and have taken as a duty of excise for the use of said Middletown five dollars for each and every person so liscensed as witness our hand this 4th day of March, 1803.


     The record of the doings of the board of excise for the year following is somewhat different, and it may be a matter of interest in modern times:
     "Be it remembered that we, the commission of excise for Middletown, in the county of Steuben, have resolved and liscenced the following persons to Keep public Taverns or Inns at their dwelling houses in said Middletown for the year 1804."
     In the proceedings of the town meeting for 1808 we find Willia Wombaugh, Lemuel Searl and Levi Johnson constituted a committee to purchase a burying-ground, clear and fence the same, the expense thereof to be taken out of the treasury of the poor money. In the year 1811, among other business transacted, we find this enactment, "that there be paid ten dollars on each wolf and panther that is killed in the town."
     In the year 1793 George Goodhue erected the first saw-mill, followed in 1805 by one erected by William Wombough, combined with a grist-mill; then followed in rapid succession various improvements. As soon as proper appliances could be obtained for manufacturing and delivering lumber, the valley of the Canisteo was soon known far and wide as a very desirable field for the development of mercantile and lumbering business, and the Weatherbys, Shumway, Birdsall and many others operated largely in this new country at this time. In the year 1834 Messrs. Thompson and French built a store on the site known now as the old Smith Block, which was sold in 1838 to Messrs. William R. Smith and Ai Fitch. W. R. Smith spent his life thereafter in Addison and did a great amount of business. Space forbids that we chronicle very many names who figured prominently in the early development of this new country.
     A postoffice was established here in 1804, and the mail brought once a week on horseback from Painted Post as late as 1830. At that time Addison was the end of the route. In 1831 Dr. F. R. Wagner drew up a petition for a mail twice a week, which was sent to Hon. John Magee, then member of congress. It was granted by the department and William B. Jones, who took the contract, carried the mail from Painted Post to Addison in a two-horse coach. Mails were received afterward tri-weekly and finally daily, before the completion of the Erie railroad.


     The Eagle Hotel occupies the site of a public house kept by William Baskin Jones at a very early day. Jonathan Rowley kept a hotel near where the Methodist church stands. This house was afterward kept by James Baldwin and by a man named Lockerby. It was finally destroyed by fire. Caleb Wetherby also kept a hotel on the north side. James Van Vleck built the first hotel on the south side on the site of the American House. As late as 1819 there was but a small portion of the land south of the river cleared. There was a clearing at the Henry Wombough place at the south end of the suspension bridge, where then lived Wareham Ward. Upon the creek lived a widow named Catlin, and the family of Hezekiah Dolph. Farther up was Wombough's sawmill, near which lived Matthias Marlatte, who afterward moved to Woodhull, and Samuel Colgrove. These lived at the upper end of the village, and above them was the Brewster farm. Down the river near Curtis & Paxton's mill lived Reuben Newman in a small framed house. Next below, in a log house, lived Ebenezer Swartwood and his father Jacobus. The latter familliarly called "Coby" was a great hunter. Next below, on the Cowley farm was a tavern kept about this time (1819) by Samuel Colgrove. Near the site of the Goodhue tannery lived Isaiah Jones. He died about 1819, and his widow continued to live there many years. Nathan Gillan, an Irishman, was the last resident east until we reach the Erwin town line.
     William Wombough was born in Monmouth county, N. J., in 1769, and in the year 1804 settled in the Tuscarora valley. He purchased one hundred and eighty acres of land on Tuscarora creek above the village of Addison, built a saw-mill, and in 1806 erected a grist-mill on Tuscarora creek. He subsequently added to his original purchase until he possessed about two thousand acres. He moved to Woodhull and Troupsburgh where he erected mills. At the time of his settlement here and for many years after he was the only man in the community who had money. He built a log distillery, a carding-mill, and in 1830 a second grist-mill, on the site of the former one. In order to furnish his first mill he was obliged to go to Philadelphia, which he did in a lumber wagon, and returned with a wagon filled with weighty machinery. The incidents connected with such a trip through forests and rough roads, its privations and necessary economy and hardships, are in striking contrast with the rapid transit of the present day.
     Samuel Colegrove who was a prominent character in the early history of Addison, was born in Rhode Island and came here from New Lebanon, Columbia county, N. Y. He was a man well educated for the times, a surveyor by profession, and after his arrival was a magistrate for several years, and was also elected supervisor of the town. He dealt extensively in lumber and produce, shipping it in rafts and arks


down the river. On one occasion he went down with two large craft loaded with nearly all the salable produce the settlers could spare. Upon his return he announced that he had lost or been robbed of the entire proceeds of his sale and was unable to meet his liabilities. This was severe blow to those who had entrusted him with their years' crops, which with many, was all they had to rely upon. All of Mr. Colegrove's available property was taken to pay his debts. He then kept, as we have stated, a hotel which stood on the Cowley place. After a time he accumulated a little money and went to the state of Ohio, where he purchased four hundred acres of land - a little prairie near a bay on Lake Erie. He returned to Addison and tried to induce his family to locate on his western purchase with him. For some unknown reason they declined, though he offered each of his four sons a fifty acre farm off his purchase, if they would settle on it. He went back to Ohio alone, and after a short residence there returned east, and traded his western land for a farm at Arkport (now owned by Samuel Pitts), giving a mortgage on the farm for the difference in value. This mortgage he was never able to raise, so lost his farm. In the meantime his wife had died and he moved to Woodhull where he married the widow of Bethiel Tubbs, and where he spent the remainder of his days. Col. Colgrove of Indiana, a valiant soldier of the late war, was a son of the subject of this sketch. In conclusion we will add that the land which Mr. Colgrove took up in Ohio is to-day covered by the most valuable portion of the city of Sandusky.
     Thomas Phillps came here in 1825, built the first mill within the present village limits near Cranes factory, and also the first framed school house, and several stores. He also built a bridge across the river at an early day. He purchased twenty-five hundred acres, above Addison near the Derby switch which extended from the Canisteo river to Tuscarora creek, and superintended several saw-mills at one time. Mr. Phillps married Esther Wilcox of Oxford, Chenango county. Their children were E. Maria, wife of Seth Mullen; Eliza; Austin; Ransom; Joseph; Libbeus; Thomas Jr.; Theodore; Louisa; Ann; Hannah; Esther and Myra. Mr. Phillips brought his family here in 1827.
     Lyman Crane was born in Massachusetts, May 25, 1807, and came with his parents to Cortland county, N. Y., where he married Charlotte, daughter of Hezekiah Howe, on November 10, 1830. They came to this town in 1833, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by their son Ferrel J., on road 7, or the Goodhue as it is locally known. Mr. Crane engaged in lumbering and farming, having purchased about two hundred acres of wild land. Their children were as follows: Francis, born May 23, 1832, Nancy, June 1, 1834, Edmund Dennis, August 7, 1837, Addis E., April 22, 1839, Manley D., March 9, 1841, 

     *They had been familiar with wolf-hunts in the woods of Steuben and Allegany.


Clarissa, March 29, 1843, Lois, June 29, 1845, Harriet, June 10, 1847, Matilda, January 9, 1851, and Ferrel J., December 15, 1856. The latter married Amy, daughter of Garrison Briggs of Addison. Their children were Maud E., deceased, and Clara Sophia.
     The family of Baldwin is descended from Benjamin Baldwin who emigrated from Buckingham county, England, in 1636, and settled in New London, Conn. His grandson, Isaac Baldwin, Sr., removed with his family from Norwich, Conn., to Wyoming Valley, Pa., where they remained but a few years in consequence of the Pennamite and Indian wars. They removed to the vicinity of Ulster, and subsequently, in the year 1787, farther up the Chemung river to what is now the town of Chemung, then a part of Tioga county, N. Y. He was born in Norwich, Conn., June 12, 1730; married Patience Rathbun, November 1751. They had eleven children, of whom Rufus, the father of the subject of this narrative, was eldest, born March 8, 1753. Rufus Baldwin Jr., was born in Canterbury, Conn., in 1795. His minority was spent at home. In 1812 he was connected with the Light Guards, and soon thereafter, gained the rank of major. He came to Tioga, Pa., and in 1825, married Parmelia, daughter of William Wombough. In the fall of 1834, having disposed of his property in Pennsylvania, he settled about one mile east of the village of Addison where he purchased some six hundred acres of timber and farming land. In 1851 he moved to the village of Addison and retired from the more active duties of life. He died in 1853, and his wife in 1867. Their children are Mrs. Rufus N. Weatherby, William W., a lawyer, who died in 1852, aged twenty-five years; Walter H., who died in 1854, aged twenty-five years. Henry, a lawyer and banker, was supervisor in 1859-61, and sheriff of the county from 1886-89. In 1861 he raised a company, and as captain joined the 34th Regt. N. Y. Vols. Was with his company and regiment through the first Shenandoah Valley, at Yorktown, West Point, Fair Oaks, and Seven Pines; the seven days' retreat of McClelland to the Patomac, Antietam and Fredericksburgh. In 1867 he was brevetted colonel, and in 1868, major. James, a banker at Addison; Rufus Jr., who died young; Parmelia, deceased, wife of Hon. Byron G. Stout of Pontiac, Mich.; and R. Haskill Baldwin, who died in childhood.
     John W. Dininny was born in the town of Milford, now Oneonta, on the 23rd day of June, 1820. In 1832 he emigrated with his parents to the town of Addison now Tuscarora then a wilderness. For several years he was engaged in clearing land, lumbering and performing such labor as was common in that wild and uncultivated town. He was educated at the Oneida Institute and the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, finishing his education at that seminary in 1842. For several years after he left the seminary in 1842. For several years after he left the seminary he was engaged in teaching school. The last was a high school in the village of Addison

PAGE 100

a high school in the village of Addison, which he closed in 1845. In 1845 he entered the law office of Hon. Andrew G. Chatfield in the village of Addison as a student, and in Januray 1849, was by an order of the supreme court admitted to practice in all the courts of this state. In March 1859, he was admitted to practice as an attorney and counsellor in the supreme court of the United States at Washington, D. C. He was married in 1849 to Miss Sarah A. Coburn. Four children were born to them namely, Harper F., Carleton V., William B. and S. Georgiana.
     In 1850 he formed a partnership for the practice of law with his brother, Hon. Ferral C. Dininny. That partnership continued until 1863, when Ferral C. Dininny retired, leaving a large and extensive business in charge of Mr. John W. Dininny, which he conducted with success, except while he was in the army. When the 141st regiment New York volunteers was organized he was offered the position of Major, which he accepted, and in September, 1862, was mustered into the United States service; immediately left with the regiment to take part in the stirring scenes at the south.
     He continued in active service as Major, much of the time in command of the regiment, until February, 1863, when, on the resignation of Col. S. G. Hathaway, he was promoted and commissioned colonel. He was an active, prompt and efficient officer, some of the time performing the duties of a general officer. He took part in many of the exciting incidents connected with the army in Virginia, in front of and around Richmond. Colonel Dininny continued in active service at the front until a disease of his eyes compelled him to resign his commission.
     He returned to his home and again took up the practice of law, in which he was engaged for many years. He was an earnest, faithful, pains-taking lawyer; had business relations with many of the leading lawyers of the State and was esteemed by them as an able, conscientious and careful counsellor.
     Mr. Dininny always took a deep interest in the cause of education and in 1867, largely through his efforts and influence, a Union Free School, with Academic department, was established in Addison. He was elected at the first meeting of the district as a member of the Board of Education, and at the first meeting of the board was elected its president. He was annually elected a member of said board by the district and served as president for twenty-four years and until he resigned the office of member of the board in April, 1891. During the time he was president the school steadily advanced until it took rank among the leading institutions of learning in this State.
     L. D. Coburn was born in Cortland county, April 22, 1817. When eighteen years of age he came to Addison and finished serving an ap-

PAGE 101

prenticeship to the harness-making trade. In 1840 he engaged in business on his own account, and has remained in the same almost continually to the present time. During the war he was appointed by Governor Fenton New York state agent at Annapolis, Md., to look after sick and wounded soldiers. Mr. Coburn erected the second business building - a shop - that was built on the south side of the river. He married first Harriet Stebbins of Nelson, Madison county, N. Y., and second Harriet Healy of Dansville. Two children were the issue of this marriage, Elsworth H. and Carrie L., wife of Rodney Teed, both deceased. His present wife was Mrs. Marie L. Bates of Cazenovia.
     Col. George W. Farnham was born at Canterbury, Conn., July 6, 1812. His ancestors were of Puritan stock. In boyhood he was the boyhood he was studious and eager for education, and though early thrown upon his own resources he acquired a good education, and early engaged in active business life as book-keeper, teacher and cotton manufacturer. He came to Addison in 1836, where he resided until his death which occurred on September 14, 1888. He engaged extensively in lumbering and mercantile pursuits, as a partner with his brother, Edmund Farnham, but the last twenty years of his life were devoted principally to farming. He rose to prominence in the old militia days, attaining the rank of colonel, which title clung to him through life. His name and energy were identified with the growth and progress of the town for more than fifty years. His first wife died in 1837. In 1844 he married Julia J., daughter of William Wombough, Sr. The children of this marriage were three, viz.: Mrs. Bryron G. Stout of Pontiac, Mich., George W., and William H. A. Farnham of Addison. In 1872 he married Mary, daughter of the late Nathan Reynolds of Elmira.
     Jacob V. Graham was born in Ithaca, N. Y., Nov. 22, 1825, and resided there until September 6, 1846, when he came to Addison village and engaged in the clothing business. Later he conducted a general store in partnership with H. K. Thurber, now proprietor of one of the largest wholesale grocery houses in the country, located in New York city. After his dissolution with Mr. Thurber he embarked in the hardware business, which he continued in for many years. He married Harriet, daughter of Henry Wombough, a descendant of one of the earliest families in the town, by whom he has one child, Clara, wife of F. G. Parsons. Mr. Graham is now a member of the firm of F. G. Parsons & Co., a description of whose business is given under the head of "manufacturers."
     Rev. William R. Olmsted was born in Greene county, N. Y., and came to Addison in 1830. He subsequently lived in Tyrone, now Schuyler county, and in Troupsburgh. Mr. Olmsted was a local preacher of the Baptist denomination. He married Elizabeth Holmes

PAGE 102

of Oxford, Chenango county, with whom he lived for over fifty years. There were twelve children born to them, among whom are Hiram Olmsted of Troupsburgh and Samuel of Addison. Mr. Olmsted died in 1867, aged seventy-six years.
     Galen Otis, son of Isaac Otis was born in Mansfield, Hamshire county, Mass., September 16, 1799. In April, 1818, he removed to this state and settled at Otisville, Orange county. In 1848 he came to the village of Addison, where he was engaged in lumbering and in mercantile business for over thirty years. He retired in 1879. His wife was Fanny King of Orange county, by whom he had six children, only one of whom is now living, namely, Mrs. Almira Smith. Mrs. Otis died in 1876, and Mr. Otis on April 8, 1891.
     Ebenezer Allen was born and reared in Duchess county, N. Y., and came to Addison about 1849. He married Martha, daughter of Abel Van Scoy of North Salem. Their children were Mary, who died in infancy; Phoebe, (Mrs. Epenetus Miller), Ebenezer, Pearlee, deceased, Martha (Mrs. W. Patchell), Hannah (Mrs. D. P. Benjamin), and Hiram. The latter married Sarah Benjamin by whom he had two sons, Egbert and Samuel of Addison.
     Hiram C. McKay was born in Pompey, Onondaga county, N. Y., March 22, 1812, and died at his home in Addison by keeping a general store in the old Smith block about the year 1851. About the year 1861 Messrs. McKay and Bliss bought out the firm of O. N. Sage & Co., in the sash and blind factory, and in this firm-name they carried on the business about four years when the mill was burned, involving a loss of nearly $15,000. McKay & Gillett then entered into a co-partnership, built up the mill and ran it about seven years, doing such an immense business that Addison was popularly known almost all over the United States as headquarters for sash and blinds. After this firm had been in successful operation for the above specified time, the factory was again consumed by fire, incurring a loss of $30,000.
     Mr. McKay again built up the factory, and took in for a partner C. D. Hill and under this firm name they carried on the sash and blind business about ten years, when he (McKay) sold out to Mr. Hill. During this last period he was also associated in the wholesale sash and blind business with C. B. Keough, in New York city, averaging from $300,000 to $400,000 per year. That concern ceased to exist soon after he went into business with C. D. Hill.
     Thomas P. Parsels was born in New Fairfield, Conn., and in 1859 came to the town of Addison and first settled on the Goodhue where Richard Tobin now lives, and where he resided until his death five years later. He married Mary M. Allen by whom he had five children

PAGE 103

viz: Helen (Mrs. Daniel LaDue), deceased, Charles E. of Tuscarora, James P. of Pennsylvania, Joseph B. and Debora A. (Mrs. J. H. Houghtaling), Charles E., born October 20, 1849, married Hannah M., daughter of Chauncey L. Harder of Jasper, in January, 1870.
     Solomon Curtis came from Oxford, Chenango county, in 1821, and purchased five hundred acres of land north of the river where the village of Addison now stands. He ran a distillery here for some years, which stood near where the Erie railroad water tank is located, and paid for a portion of this property in whiskey, hence it was called "the whiskey lot." His son, Myron S. Curtis, was a boy of eleven years when the family came here. Solomon Curtis donated the land for the village cemetery, and also the village square known as Curtis Square. He died in March, 1850, and Myron S. Curtis died October 16, 1881.
     Seth Mullen was born in Erie county, Pa., and came to this town in September, 1840. Worked on the old New York and Erie road, engaged in lumbering and rafting, and purchased a timber lot of one hundred and eight acres, most of which he cleared. He has also engaged in contracting and farming. He married E. Maria, daughter of Thomas Phillips, by whom he had two daughters, Alice E., deceased, and Nellie M.
     John Smith Lyon was born near Albany, in 1805, and came to this town about 1830. He built a portion of the house owned by the late Dr. Mitchell, was a blacksmith by trade, and carried on business here many years. He married Mary M. Prentiss, of Chenango county. Their children were Prentiss S., Daniel T., and Augustus W. The latter married Sarah Landers, by whom he has one son, John S.
     E. Devillo Root, son of Erastus D. Root, was born in McDonough, Chenango county, N. Y., May 31, 1840. Previous to 1850 his father moved to this town and settled in the then thickly wooded hills, about five miles north of Addison village, where he took up six hundred acres. The subject of this memoir received his education in the Addison Academy, and after his school days engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Root is one of the representative men of Addison, and has been honored with the office of president of the corporation, and for four terms has represented the town in the board of supervisors. He is also a prominent working member of the local fire department.
     Frederick S. Hooker was born near Troy, Bradford county, Pa., in 1833. Early in life he engaged in the profession of photography. In 1858 he moved to Houston, Texas, and after the secession of Texas was the first to be brought before a grand jury for treason to the Southern Confederacy. He was arrested and taken before a vigilance committee, and the following week was tried by a secret vigilance committee and condemned to death, but made his escape. As he could not

PAGE 104

leave the state he enlisted for three months in the southern army and served his time, after which he made his way to Mexico, thence to New York. He afterward enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment, was taken prisoner at Gettysburgh, and parolled. He has been a resident of Addison about twenty years.
     ADDISON VILLAGE is situated in the valley of the Canisteo, a station on the main line of the N. Y., L. E. & W. R. R., and the northern terminus of the Addison & Northern Pennsylvania railway. The village was incorporated under the general law of the state in January, 1854. At the ensuing election the following board of trustees and officers were chosen: Frederick R. Wagner, Bradley Blakeslee, Parley Guinnip, Stephen Lewis, - White and Thomas Paxton. Dr. F. R. Wagner was chosen president and I. V. L. Meigs clerk. The charter was amended by a special act of the Legislature, approved April 12, 1873. By section third of this act the village was divided into two wards as follows: "The fist ward shall consist of all that part of said village which lies north of the Canisteo river. The second ward shall consist of all that part of said village which lies south of the Canisteo river."
     The lot known as No. 3, or the "Pompelly Lot," was purchased by William B. Jones. It was previously purchased by Solomon Curtis from Harmon Pompelly, of Owego, who purchased it from Charles Wilkes, proprietor of the Wilkes tract, quite an extensive tract lying north of the river. Curtis laid out a portion of the village on that side. William Wombough  owned lots Nos. 3 and 4 on the south side, extending back to the town line. He purchased his land at an early day, mostly of contractors with the Pulteney estate, who were not able to complete their titles. He caused a part of lot No. 3 on the south side to be laid out in village lots about 1832, it being surveyed by John E. Evans, of Painted Post. Samuel Colegrove laid out the north side for Solomon Curtis the same year.
     Goodhue Lake P. O. is located at Goodhue Lake in the northwest corner of the town, and was established for the convenience of the farmers of that section.
      Physicians. - Dr. Frederick R. Wagner was the first physician in the village. He continued strictly in the practice of his profession from 1830 to 1865. After retiring from active practice he engaged in the drug business, and held the office of examining surgeon of the pension bureau. He died November 3, 1880.
     The next physician was Dr. Sweeney, who came here in 1833, and remained but a short time. Then came Dr. William McIntyre who, after a few years practice, removed to California. Dr. Erastus N. Foot came in 1841. He practiced in partnership with Dr. Wagner one year, and

PAGE 105

after practicing alone for a short time, returned to Greene county whence he came. Dr. William Beach practiced here a few years and then removed to Louisiana, where he died.
     Dr. Reuben Brown was born in Bradford county, Pa., April 1, 1818. At the age of fourteen he began the study of medicine, and graduated from Hobart Medical College, Geneva, N. Y. In 1849 he settled in Addison, and his skill as a physician gave him considerable reputation, not only in his own village, but in the surrounding towns. He practiced medicine continuously for over forty years and was never known to take a holiday, so devoted was he to his profession. He married Sarah M., daughter of William Evans, of Bradford county, Pa. Dr. Brown died September 15, 1885.
     Dr. John Mitchell, who practiced here for some years, died October 4, 1886.
     Dr. Miles Stevens was born in Milford, Otsego county, December 7, 1823. He came to Addison in 1848 and practiced medicine until the spring of 1866, when he removed to Watkins. In 1882 he returned to Addison and opened a drug store, and is also engaged in practice. He is of the eclectic school.
     Dr. Herman Reeve Ainsworth, son of Rev. S. C. Ainsworth, was born in Erieville, Madison county, N. Y., September 29, 1841. The following year his father removed to Truxton, Cortland county. Dr. Ainsworth entered Madison - now Colgate - University, at Hamilton, N. Y. After studying medicine with Drs. Newcomb and Nelson of Truxton, he graduated at the University of New York in 1866, and soon after commenced practice in Addison and has been in constant practice here since.
     Dr. Rush P. Brown, son of Dr. Reuben Brown received his preliminary education at Dansville, Livingston county, Alfred University, Allegany county, and Falley Seminary, Fulton, N. Y. At the age of twenty he began to study the medicine with his father, and after attending lectures at Bellevue Medical College and New York University, was graduated from the latter institution in 1873. He at once began practice in Addison, in partnership with his father. Since the death of the latter, he has practices alone. Dr. Brown makes a specialty of surgery as his father did before him. He is also largely interested in farming. He married Georgie N. Cowley, daughter of the late Calvin Cowley, a well known citizen of Addison.
     Dr. Daniel J. Crittenden was born in Greene, Chenango county, N. Y., November 4, 1832. When ten years of age his parents removed to Whitney's Point, Broome county. When a young man he removed to the town of Rathbone, and engaged in teaching school. In 1856 he commenced studying medicine, and graduated at the University Medical

PAGE 106

College of New York, March 4, 1859. He has practiced at Cameron Mills and at Woodhull, and in several places outside the county. On the death of Dr. John Mitchell he assumed his practice in Addison.
     Dr. Melvin B. Hubbs was born in Orange, Schuyler county, N. Y., June 23, 1848. He attended the schools of that place, and also Starkey Seminary, Corning Academy, the schools of Williamsport, Pa., and Haverling Academy at Bath. After teaching for several years, he took up the study of medicine and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, Md., in the class of 1883. He practiced four years in Cameron and in July 1887, came to Addison.
     Dr. David E. Seely was born in Franklin, Delaware county, N. Y., October 1, 1823. At the age of twenty-two years he went to Oneonta and tuook up the study of medicine, and after three years commenced practice in Barbersville, Delaware county. He came to Addison in December 1882. Dr. Seeley is of the eclectic school.
     Dr. Albert A. Aldrich was born in Addison, August 20, 1855. He graduated from the Syracuse University Medical College in 1883, was medical superintendent of the Onondaga county poor house for nearly two years when he came to Addison.
     Clergymen. - Rev. Francis Gilliat was born in Newport, R. I., in 1839, was educated at Berkeley Divinity School, Middletown, Conn., and ordained in 1868. He was instituted rector of the Church of the Redeemer Addison, in January 1888. 
     Rev. John H. Blades, to whom we are indebted for a portion of the history of Addison, given in these pages, was born in West Burton, Yorkshire, England, July 19, 1828, and died suddenly at his home in Addison village, April 12, 1891. Mr. Blades came to this country in Addison village, April 12, 1891. Mr. Blades came to this country in 1853. The following year he united with the ministry of the M. E. Church in the East Genesee Conference, and served with great acceptablility many charges in this and adjoining counties. In 1873, because of physical inability, he was obliged to discontinue his ministerial labors. He selected Addison, where he already owned property, as his permanent home, and here, where he had many admirers and warm friends, he spent the remainder of his days. His family still reside here.
     Rev. Thomas Joseph Carraher was born in Ireland in 1849. He was educated at All Hallows College in the city of Dublin, and in 1874 came to America in the steamer "Italy" of the National Line. His theological education was completed at the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels at Niagara, and he was ordained at Niagara Falls May 22, 1875. His first ministrations in the office of priest was as the assistant of Rev. William McNab in Medina, Orleans county. Afterward he served at Angola, Erie county, and at Batavia, where he remained until April, 1879, when he took charge of the church at Cuba, Allegany county.

PAGE 107

To accept the larger field offered in the pastorate of St. Catherine's church, Addison, he left to the parish over which he had presided for ten years a handsome property and one of the finest church structures in Allegany county.


     Presbyterian. - The First Presbyterian church of Addison was organized in the month of September, 1832, by a committee of the Presbytery of Bath, consisting of Rev. A. Donaldson and Rev. E. D. Wills. The present handsome edifice of this society was dedicated in April, 1882, and is valued at $12,000. The number of members is one hundred and sixty. The present pastor is Rev. David Mackey.
     Protestant Episcopal. - The Church of the Redeemer was organized April 18, 1854, and the first wardens were L. Griswold and Z. L. Webb; vestrymen, J. S. McKay, David Darrin, H. J. Fonda, W. R. Smith, T. Paxton, Stephen Lewis and H. W. Rathbone. The first rector was Robert N. Parke. Their church edifice, located on Park Place, corner of Wall street, was consecrated April 5, 1860. The church numbers about fifty families. The Rev. Francis Gilliat is the present rector.
     Methodist Episcopal. - The first Methodist services in Addison were held in a school-house below the academy, and the society was organized first on September 3, 1835. In 1846 their first church edifice was built, a framed structure which was destroyed by fire. Their present church was dedicated April 21, 1876. It is a substantial brick structure, tasteful in its design, and convenient for general church work. Its cost was $14,000. They have a membership of one hundred and sixty-one.
     Roman Catholic. - St. Catherine's church was organized or built in 1854 by Rev. Father Cunningham, the pastor of St. Mary's, of Corning, who had charge of it and several other missions in Steuben and Chemung counties. The first resident pastor was Rev. Father Bradley, who assumed pastoral control in 1866. A new brick church was finished in 1887 at a cost of $18,000. It is a fine and commodious structure, pleasantly located on Curtis Square, a little east of the site of the old church. The present pastor is Rev. Father Thomas I. Carraher, and the membership about one hundred and fifty families.
     Baptist Church. - The first Baptist church of Addison was organized May 6, 1869, under the missionary labors of Rev. C. W. Brooks. Rev. S. D. Merrick was the first settled pastor, who came in October 1869, and the present house of worship, known as the Baptist Chapel was built in 1871, and during Mr. Merrick's pastorate. The property of this society is valued at about $7,500.
     Addison Y. M. C. A. rooms are located in a commodious brick bulding erected through the generosity of J. D. Gillet, one of

PAGE 108

oldest and most respected citizens, who also donated the site for the building. It was erected in 1889. It contains bath-rooms, gymnasium and a free reading room which is open from 9 A. M. to 10 P. M. Services on Sunday at 3 P. M., and workers' training class at 8:30 on Thursday evenings.


     In December, 1847, an association of twelve prominent men of Addison and vicinity purchased four acres of land north of the village as a site for an academy, and the next summer erected an academy building at an expense of $3,600. A flourishing school was organized and continued until the building was destroyed by fire in October 1856. Subsequently a number of citizens established a private academic school. This was well supported and continued until the organization of the Union Free Academy in connection with the public school system of the village. Plans for a new bulding submitted by Walker & Noland of Rochester were acepted by the board of education, and a large, well lighted and well ventilated structure was completed, at a cost of $20,000, and first occupied for the spring term of 1888.
     The Addison Grammar School, after plans by C. Walker of Rochester, was built by Drehmer & Wing, and E. Y. Butler of Hornellsville, who also were the builders of the Union Free Academy. It is a model structure, located on the south side, on the site of the old burying-ground on Tuscarora street. It was finished and occupied for the spring term of 1889. The cost of the building was about $9,000.


     Addison Bank. - This bank was originally a chartered institution, established by William R. Smith and Charles H. Henderson in 1856. W. R. Smith, president and C. H. Henderson cashier. About 1861 they surrendered their charter and Mr. Henderson succeeded to the business. The present proprietors, Messrs. Lattimer and Winton, purchased his interest and building on the north side of the river in 1867. In 1873 they erected their present fine fire-proof building at a cost of $10,000. It is one of the most completely furnished and commodious bank buildings in this part of the state, and the business of the firm is on a very properous footing.
     The Baldwin Bank was established in January, 1874, by James Baldwin and Charles D. Williams, and continued under those proprietors until April, 1880, when Mr. Williams was succeeded by Henry Baldwin and Mrs. Sarah Weatherby. Their building, which is located on Tuscarora street, was erected especially for a bank, and is provided with a very safe and substantial fire-proof vault. This bank is considered among the firm and prosperous monetary institutions of this part of the state.

PAGE 109


     A. G. Crane & Co.'s Blind Factory was established in connection with other works for the manufacture of sash and doors also, in 1845, and were the first works of the kind in this part of the state. They were built by Ames & Bliss, who, in 1865, were succeeded by C. C. Crane, and in 1874 Mr. Crane was succeeded by the present firm. The shops for manufacturing doors and sash have been destroyed by fire. They employ twelve men, and turn out about 1,800 pairs of blinds per year.
     Addison Foundry and Machine Shop. - In 1846, E. J. Horn and Stephen Lewis, under the firm name of Lewis & Horn, established the foundry business for the purpose of manufacturing mill-machinery, steam engines and general castings. Their first shop was burned in the fall of 1846, and they immediately rebuilt. In 1856 Mr. Lewis retired from the firm, and it was afterward conducted by Mr. Horn and his sons. In May, 1885, E. S. Chatfield became the proprietor, and in addition to the products of the shop under the old firm, manufactures an automatic patent brake for platform and lumber wagons, also patent expansible chain-wheels for elevators, tan drags, patent oar-locks and foot-rests for rowing boats. He employs about twelve men.
     Addison Merchant and Custom Mills. - These mills were built by David Curtis of Painted Post, and James McKay of Campbell, about 1853. In October, 1865, Thomas Paxton purchased an interest in the mill and has since been associated with Mr. Curtis under the firm name of Curtis & Paxton. In 1884 the mill was enlarged by an addition on the south end, and an elevator was added. These latter improvements cost the firm about $4,000. These mills are furnished with three runs of stone for grinding corn, feed and buckwheat, and their capacity for the manufacture of flour is about one hundred barrels in twenty-four hours.
     G. W. Farnham's Boot and Shoe Factory was established in 1872 by Gokey & Farnham, just north of Tuscarora street bridge. The factory at this site was destroyed by fire, and the present works built by Mr. Farnham in the winter of '77-'78, and occupied the following spring, They are run by steam power, and emply about fifty men, with a capacity of twenty cases a day; mostly heavy work.
     C. D. Hill & Co.'s Sash, Blind and Door Factory. - The first factory for the manufacture of sash, blinds and doors on the site of the above firm's establishment was built by O. W. Sage in 1855. It subsequently passed into the hands of the following firms, viz.: McKay & Bliss, McKay & Gillette, McKay & Co., McKay & Hill and C. D. Hill & Co., and is the oldest but one of similar works in the state. The factory has been twice destroyed by fire. A new engine of two hundred

PAGE 110

horse-power has been recently added, and the capacity is 60,000 doors per year, the same number of sashes and 30,000 pairs of blinds. This firm also deals in planed and matched lumber, and in mouldings and brackets.
     S. Harrison & Sons' Plow Handle Factory commenced operation in 1868 at the lower end of the village near the cemetery. They manufacture about 1,000 handles a day, beside other wood-work for agricultural implements.
     Wheaton & Brewster Brothers Saw and Planing-Mill is located on Steuben street. It is run by steam, emplys about ten men, and has a capacity for sawing 15,000 feet a day.
     Stanchion Factory. - F. G. Parsons & Company, manufacturers of Smith's self-adjusting swing cattle stanchion.
     Though this invention dates from the present decade and the present firm has been in operation six years, yet it is now known throughout Canada and the United States. It is, as its name implies, a swinging stanchion. They are made very durable, of strong wood timber that has been well seasoned and oiled. They turn on pivots made of two-inch hardwood pins at the top and bottom. The method of opening and closing is very simple, and a boy will at once become acquainted with the necessary manipulation. By the use of this stanchion cattle are kept cleaner and in a more natural position. They can lie down resting the head on the shoulder, and, though securely fastened, enjoy almost natural freedom of motion. The invention has won the first prize at several New York state fairs and is warmly endorsed by leading dairymen and agricultural editors all over the country. A new patent has recently been granted this firm, with three additonal improvements.
     The factory is located on Steuben street. It employs several men and is run by steam power.
     The Improved Home Bee Hive Manufactory was established here in January 1889, by L. S. Cook, and is located on Cleveland street. These hives are constructed with a double wall, having a dead-air space surrounding the entire chamber. Each hive is furnished with moveable frames holding forty-eight one pound sections, which are so arranged as to cover the back and top of hive. There are several other improvements which are covered by letters patent. Mr. Cook also manufactures apiarists' supplies.
     The Goodhue Tannery is located on the Goodhue creek near its mouth, about one mile east of Addison village. It is stated that the first tannery here was built by Tiffany & Prindle. Miles & Paxton afterward ran if for some years. The present proprietor is George W. Stratton, who has improved and enlarged the works considerably. Twelve men are em-

PAGE 111

ployed here, and the capacity is 20,000 sides per year. Mr. Stratton came in possession in 1878.
     Bridgeman's saw and feed mill was built by Otis Bridgeman in 1865. The first mill on this site was built many years ago, but by whom we were unable to learn. The second was built by Vincent Hathaway. The present mill is under the management of Judson Bridgman, is run by water power and has a capacity of 200,000 feet. There is also a shingle and planing-mill in connection with it.
     Phillips Mills on road 4 was first built by Hamilton & Dodge, and afterward owned by Lewis Hathaway. Of the latter it was purchased by the present owner, Charles Phillips, about 1856. It is run by water and steam power.
     Other Industries. - The Addison Greenhouse is located on Steuben street where is constantly kept on hand a large variety of choice flowering plants, and also vegetable plants with which the local market and surrounding towns are supplied. This greenhouse was built by Mr. Goodby in 1875, was afterward owned by Mr. W. Griffith, and is now under the management of Mrs. A. Walker. It has  recently been improved and a new heating apparatus added. Floral pieces for funerals are made here on short notice, also cut flowers and designs furnished for weddings and other occasions.