Townships
Of
Steuben County
New York


 

Surrounding Counties:

New York State
Allegany County 
Ontario County
Chemung County
Schuyler County
Livingston County
Yates County

Pennsylvania State
Potter County
Tioga County

Click on the Township below to browse resources specific to that township!

TOWNSHIP

DATE FORMED

FORMED FROM

CITIES, VILLAGES, HAMLETS & POST OFFICES

Addison March 1796

(prev. Middletown 1796-1808)

Addison, South Addison, Addison Hill

Avoca April 12, 1843

Bath, Cohocton, Howard & Wheeler

Avoca, Wallace

Bath March 18, 1796

-

Bath, Kanona, Savona, Sonora

Bradford April 20, 1836

Jersey (now Orange, Schuyler Co.)

Bradford, South Bradford

Cameron April 16, 1822

Addison

Cameron, West Cameron, North Cameron

Campbell April 15, 1831

Hornby

Campbelltown, Curtis

Canisteo March 1796

-

Adrian, Canisteo, Crosbyville, Center Canisteo, Bennetts Creek

Caton March 28, 1839

Painted Post (now Corning)
(prev. Wormly 1839-1840)

Caton

Cohocton June 18, 1812

Bath & Dansville

Cohocton, Liberty, North Cohocton, Bloods

Corning March 18, 1796

(prev. Painted Post 1796-1852)

Corning (city), Knoxville, Gibson, Centerville, East Painted Post

Dansville March 1796

-

South Dansville, Rogersville, Burns, Dotys Corners

Erwin Jan. 27, 1826

Painted Post

Painted Post, Coopers Plains, Riverside

Fremont Nov. 17, 1854

Hornellsville, Dansville, Wayland & Howard

Fremont Center, Haskinville, Big Creek, Stephens Mills

Greenwood Jan. 24, 1827

Troupsburg & Canisteo

Greenwood, Rough and Ready, West Greenwood

Hartsville Feb. 7, 1844

Hornellsville

Hartsville, Purdy Creek

Hornby Jan. 27, 1826

Painted Post (now Corning)

Hornby Forks, Hornby

Hornellsville April 1, 1820

Canisteo

Hornell (city), Hornellsville, Arkport, Almond (partly)

Howard June 18, 1812

Bath & Dansville

Howard, Towlesville, Buena Vista, Goffs Mills, South Howard

Jasper Jan. 24, 1827

Troupsburg & Canisteo

Jasper, Four Corners, Five Corners, West Jasper, South Hill

Lindley May 12, 1837

Erwin

Lindleytown, Erwin Center

Prattsburgh April 12, 1813

Pulteney

Prattsburgh, Rikers Hollow

Pulteney Feb. 12, 1808

Bath

Pulteney, Harmonyville, Bluffport, Peltonville, Gulicksville

Rathbone March 28, 1856

Addison, Cameron & Woodhull

Rathboneville, West Addison, Cameron Mills

Thurston Feb. 28, 1844

Cameron

Merchantville, Bonny Hill, Risingville, Thurston, So. Thurston

Troupsburg Feb. 12, 1808

Middletown (now Addison)
 & Canisteo

Troupsburg, South Troupsburg, East Troupsburg,
West Troupsburg, Young Hickory

Tuscarora -

-

-

Urbana April 17, 1822

Bath

Hammondsport, Urbana, N.Urbana, Cold Spring, Mt. Washington
Wayland April 12, 1848

Cohocton & Dansville

Wayland, Wayland Depot, Perkinsville, Patchins Mills, Loon Lake
Wayne March 18, 1796

(prev. Frederickstown 1796-1808)

Wayne, Wayne Four Corners

West Union April 25, 1845

Greenwood

Rexville, Wileysville, West Union

Wheeler Feb. 25, 1820

Bath & Prattsburgh

Wheeler, Mitchellville, Wheeler Center

Woodhull Feb. 18, 1828

Troupsburg & Addison

Woodhull, Newville, Hedgesville


Newspaper Tidbits

The legislature have before them bills for erecting a new county from the county of Ontario, by the name of Steuben; and also one by the name of Delaware, to be formed by a part of Ulster and Ostego.
Albany Gazette, pg. 3, February 22, 1796.


ALBANY, May 20, 1796.
Assistant Attorney Generals.
William Stewart, esquire, of Bath, for the District comprising the counties of Ontario, Onondaga, Tioga, and Steuben.
Daily Advertiser, New York, NY, Friday, July 8 1796.
NEW-YORK, February 14.
Postcript - Albany Gazette.
    On Wednesday last, by message from his Excellency the Governor, the following communications from the state of Connecticut, relative to the claim of the Connecticut Gore Company, to certain lands lying within the counties of Tioga and Steuben in this state, was made to the Legislature, the House of Assembly committed them to a committee of the whole, ordered 150 copies to be printed for the use of the members, and made them the order of the day for Friday last - On which day the house went into committee thereon, and after some time spent, the committee rose with-out comming to any decision, and obtained leave to sit again.
American Mercury, February 22, 1798.
MEMBERS OF ASSEMBLY.
Steuben county - Judge Hornell.
Otsego Herald (Cooperstown, NY) May 28, 1807; pg. 3.
Mr. Jacob Malcom, of Steuben County, in this state, has invented a machine to rive shingles, which may be worked by either horse, wind, or water. With the assistance of one man, ten thousand shingles maay be rived in twelve hours. The machine costs 50 dolls.
Columbian Gazette, August 22, 1809, pg. 3
THIRD UNITED STATES CENSUS, 1810
State of New-York.
STEUBEN COUNTY.
Addison 369
Bath 1033
Canisteo 656
Dansville 666
Painted-Post 954
Pultney 1038
Reading 1210
Troupsburgh 292
Wayne 1025
Total 7243
In 1800 1788
Increase 5455!!
The Balance, and State Journal (Albany, NY) April 30, 1811; pg. 137.

     DANIEL CRUGER, Esq. of Steuben, has been licensed the present week as a Counselor in the Supreme Court of this state.The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) January 6, 1815; pg. 3.


An Act to appoint commissioners to lay out a road from the town of Troupsburg through the town of Addison, to the village of Bath, in the town of Bath, in the county of Steuben. - Passed 3d April, 1818.
     Be it enacted by the people of the state of New York, represented in senate and assembly, That John Whiting, Samuel Colgrove, and Christopher Hurlbut, senior, or any two of them, be and they are hereby appointed commissioners to lay out a public highway, of the width of four rods, beginning at such place in Troupsburg in the line of the old state road, as the said commissioners shall deem most proper, thence by the most eligible route through the town of Addison to the village of Bath, in the town of Bath, in the county of Steuben.
     And be if further enacted, That the said commissioners, before they enter upon the duties aforesaid, shall take and subscribe an oath, before one of the judges of the
county of Steuben, to lay out said road without favor or partiality; and they shall, after laying out said road, cause to be made an accurate map of said road, and cause the same, with the field notes of the survey, to be filed in the clerk's office of the county of Steuben; and shall also cause a like map and field notes of so much of said road as shall fall within each town through which said road shall run, to be filed in the clerk's office of such towns respectively; and if the said road shall be laid through any improved lands, the damages shall be appraised and paid, and the road opened and improved in the manner prescribed by the act to regulate highways; and the commissioners and their surveyor shall be allowed each two dollars per day for each day they shall be necessarily employed in the duties afore said.
     And be it further enacted, That it shall be the duty of the Supervisors of the county of steuben, at their annual meeting on the first Tuesday of October next, to levy and raise by tax on the freeholders and inhabitants of the towns of Troupsburg, Addison, and Bath, in said county, in due proportion, having regard to the amount of the respective assessment rolls of the said several towns the sum of six hundred dollars; and at their annual meeting ont the first Tuesday of October, in the year one thousand eight hundred and nineteen, the further sum of six hundred dollars; and at their annual meeting on the first Tuesday of October, in the year one thousand eight hundred and
twenty, the further sum of six hundred dollars, over and above the ordinary expenses of collecting the same; which several sums may be drawn from the treasury of said county, upon the order of the said John Whiting, Samuel Colgrove, and Christopher Hurlbut, senior, or any two of them, who are hereby appointed commissioners for laying out the same, after deducting the cost of laying out and surveying the said road.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) April 10, 1818; pg. 2.
APPOINTMENTS.
By the Council of Appointment. April 21.
     Steuben. General Commission - John Dow, Wm. Read, Stephen Prentiss, and John Teeple; Judges - John Kennedy, Brigham Hanks, John D. Higgans and Levi Gray of Bath, Wm. Kernan, Stephen Griffith and Wm. Ovenshire of Wayne, Joseph Gillett, Edward Stubbs, Daniel R. Seelye and Ralph Babcock of Painted Post, Wm. P. Curtis, John Hopkins and Grattan H. Wheeler of Prattsburgh, Charles Card, Caleb Smith, Samuel Cady and Alexander Simpson, of Troupsburgh, Jesse Rowley, Stephen Towsley and Wm. B. Jones of Addison, Samuel D. Wells, John Slack, John Bennett, Jun. and Charles Oliver, of Cohocton, Jehiel Gates; Elisha W. Brockway and Samuel Hunt, of Dansville, Henry Switzer, James Boyd and Stephen Haight, of Jersey, Job. B. Rathbun, Simeon Bacon, Abel Bullard and Israel Baldwin, of Howard, Joseph Corey, Nathan Hallett and James Cleveland of Canisteo, John Hathaway, Ezra Pelton, John Prentiss and Daniel Bennett of Pulteney, James Norton, Richard Lanning and John Roberts, of Reading, Justices of the Peace - Benjamin Sackett, Erastus Glass, John Starkey and James Read, Coroners - John Magee and Wm. Hewston, Auctioniers - Henry Shriver, Notary Public - John Prentiss, Benjamin Smead, Eleazer Lindsley, Leonard Kuhn, John Starkey, James McBurney, Samuel D. Wells, William McCay, commissioners to take the acknowledgement of Deeds, &c.
Albany Gazette (Albany, NY) May 12, 1818; pg. 2.
New County from Ontario and Steuben.
NOTICE is hereby given, that an application will be made to the legislature, at their next session, for the execution of a new county from parts of the now counties of Ontario and Steuben, to comprise the towns of Milo, Benton, Middlesex, Jerusalem, Italy, and the south half of number nine, in the town of Seneca, including the Gore, in the county of Ontario, and townships No. six, in the first, second and third ranges, being parts of the towns of Pultney and Wayne, and part of the town of Reading, in the county of Steuben - Dated December 25, 1819.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) January 14, 1820; pg. 1.

New County from Ontario and Steuben.
NOTICE is hereby given, that an application will be made to the legislature, at their next session, for the erection of a new county from parts of the now counties of Ontario and Steuben, to comprise the towns of Milo, Benton, Middlesex, Jerusalem, Italy, and the south half of number nine, in the town of Seneca, including the Gore, in the County of Ontario, and townships No. six, in the first, second and third ranges, being parts of the towns of Pultney and Wayne, and part of the town of Reading, in the county of Steuben. - Dated December 25, 1819.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) January 28, 1820; pg. 1.


From the Ontario Repository, Jan. 2.
Interesting Document. - Gen. Amos Hall has obligingly furnished us with the original census, taken by him in the year 1790, of the inhabitants residing at that time in the territory which now comprises the counties of Ontario, Steuben, Genesee, Niagara, Chatauque, Cattaraugus, and Allegany - the names of the heads of families, and the number of persons in each. We have made the following abstract from the statement, which cannot fail to be highly interesting, especially to those of the first settlers who yet live among us, and who have witnessed the rapidity with which the wilderness has been subdued by an enterprising people.
In 1790, there were, No. 2, Range 1 (now Painted Post) 10 Families 59 people No. 1, Range 2 and No 2, Range 2 Erwin 11 families 59 people No. 3, Range 5 and No. 4, Range 6 Canisteo 10 families 50 people.
     Such were the settlements in this country 30 years ago.
The Patron of Industry (New York, NY) January 17, 1821; pg. 3.
APPOINTMENTS. By the Governor and Senate.
JUDGES OF COUNTY COURTS.
Steuben - James Norton, Selah Barnard, David Hall, Thomas M. Bowen, and Eleazer Lindsley.
American Journal (NY) February 19, 1823; pg. 3.
     A good Jackson man. - The Steuben co. Advocate states that Jospeh Potter of that county, had twins presented to him on the 4th of March He named on, Andrew J. and the other Jackson A.
The Farmer's Cabinet (Amherst, NH) Apr 18, 1829; pg. 3.
BRIGADE ORDERS.
WHEELER, June 1st, 1831.
THE Regiments and separate Battallions in the 56th Brigade of Infantry of the Militia of the State of New-York, will rendezvous at the following times and places, at nine o'clock in the forenoon of each day, armed and equipped as the law directs, for the purpose of inspection and review, and martial exercise.
     The 17th Regiment commanded by Col. Amasa Thatcher, will parade at the house of Truman Bostwick in Hornellsville, on the 3d day of October next: Officers, Non-commissioned officers and Musicians, on the 27th and 28th days of June, inst. at the same place.
     The 224th Regiment commanded by Col. Green Hern, including a company of Artillery commanded by Capt. Aaron W. Beach, will parade at the house of Ammi R. Rathbun 2d, in Howard, on the 4th day of October next: Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Musicians on the 28th and 29th days of June, inst. at the house of John Willys, Howard.
     The Battallion commanded by Major William Walker, will parade at the house of Constant Cook, Cohocton, on the 5th day of October next; Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Musicians, on the 29th and 30th
days of June, inst. at the same place.
    The 210 Regiment commanded by Col. Seth Weed, will parade on the public square, in the town and village of Prattsburgh, on the 6th day of October next: Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Musicians, on the
30th day of June inst. and 1st day of July next, at the same place.
    The 96th Regiment commanded by Lieut. Col. Obadiah Wheeler, will parade on the public square, in the town and village of Bath, on the 7th day of October next: Officers, Non-commissioned Offiers and Musicians, on the 1st and 2nd days of July next, at the same place.
OTTO F. MARSHALL,
Brig. Gen. 56th Brig.
PETER SWART, Aid.
Bath, June 7, 1831
The Farmer's Advocate (Bath, NY) June 15, 1831.
William Swartwout, Postmaster at Kendall Hollow, Steuben Co. has borrowed another man's wife, and departed, leaving his own, with eight children, to take care of themselves!
Saturday Morning Transcript (Boston, MA) Saturday, September 27, 1834; pg. 13.
NEW YORK AND ERIE RAIL ROAD.
     The Steuben Farmers' Advocate regards the refusal of the federal legislature to construct this road as a state work, in defiance of all their promises and professions, and the appropriation of a large sum of money to the speculative uses of the company as a gratuity for past expenditures, and without requiring a dollar of it to go to the prosecution of the work, as "the death blow to the N.Y. and E. Rail Road - the betrayal of the rights of the 'southern tier,' and as a clear manifestation of the
insincerity of gov. Seward and his friends."
     It will be recollected that the Company have been already paid $400,000 from the state treasury - on vouchers on which, by the recent law, they are entitled to draw at once $400,000 more. How the company have spent their own money, or rather the money they have been so prodigally repaid by the present federal legislature, may be seen by the following statement. We copy the abstract of the company's report, in the N. Eve. Post:
Grading, and sums paid Contractors from 1835 to 31st Dec. 1838.........$214,421.02
Land for stations, and damages...............................$18,899.04
Engineering (does not include $16,000 paid by the state).........................$121,278.71
Engineers Instruments.............................$2,112.87
Agency and Expenses of Agent......................................$8,828.29
Office Expenses - salary of treasurer, secretary, clerk, and office........$18,294.54
Contingent expenses - travelling of officers of company..............................$2,282.04
Printing, Stationary, advertising, and reprots....................................$4,195.68
Interest - on loans to pay contractors...............................$1,651.34
Postage Account..........................$356.10
Expanded, by report, in four years....................................$384,319.73     It is in this magnificent manner (adds the Post) that the company spend their own money. Nearly half a million has been disposed of already, and comparatively
nothing is done. The money of the state, which is obtained more easily, will of course be spent with still less attention to economy, and might as well be tossed into
the sea  at once.

The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) May 12, 1840; pg. 2.
For the Boston Recorder.
S. School Libraries for the West.
     Messrs. Editors: - Will you permit me to call the attention of your readers to the wants of Sabbath schools at the west. The applications for libraries made to the Massachusetts Sabbath School Society within a few weeks, are numerous, and very urgent. Fully to me: these applications, - and their number will be constantly increasing - would require between $2000 and $3000! ....
     A missionary in a deplorably destitute section in Steuben Co., Western New York, requests a donation of two libraries, one to aid him in reviving his Sabbath school, which is the only one of any denomination, (except one small one 10 miles distant) within a waste region of between 20 and 30 miles square. He says, "We should like your volumes on Church History. We should be glad to have books that will teach good old New England orthodoxy. My congregation are mostly from New Hampshire and Massachusetts."
Boston Recorder (Boston, MA) Thursday, April 18, 1844; pgs. 62-63.

THE CENSUS.
     STEUBEN COUNTY. - The census of this county shows a large increase since 1840 - being 6,085, or about 12 per cent.
                    1840.          1845.
Avoca           new town.    1668
Addison         1920            2396
Bath             4915            4976
Bradford       1517            1634
Caton            796            1051
Cameron      1359            1189
Campbell        852             857
Canisteo         941           1170
Cohocton      2966           2656
Dansville       2725           2910
Erwin            785            1035
Greenwood   1138             903
Howard        3247           2989
Hornellsville   2121           1761
Hartsville     new town.     759
Hornby        1048            1296
Jasper         1187            1384
Lindley          638              639
Orange        1824            1936
Prattsburgh  2465            2303
Pulteney      1784             1800
Painted Post  1674            2521
Reading        1541            1655
Troupsburgh  1171           1598
Tyrone         2122           1265
Thurston      new town.      676
Urbana         1884            2046
West Union   new town.      639
Wheeler       1294             1204
Wayne         1377             1308
Woodhull       827             1122
                _____          _____
                46138          52223
6085 gain in five years.
Albany Arugus (Albany, NY) November 11, 1845; pg. 1.
NOTICE is hereby given, that an application will be made to the legislature of the state of New York, at the next session thereof, for the division of the county of Steuben and the erection of a new county to be called "Canisteo," to be comprised of the territory included in the following named towns, to wit: Addison, Cameron, Campbell, Canisteo, Caton, Erwin, Greenwood, Hartsville, Hornby, Jasper, Lindley, Painted Post, Thurston, Troupsburgh, West Union and Woodhull. Dated November 29th, 1845.
Albany Argus (Albany, NY) Tue, Dec 16, 1845; pg. 4
CALIFORNIA VOLUNTEERS. - A company of volunteers for California, passed through town yesterday, and took passage in the Belle to join Col. STEVENSON'S regiment in New-York. They are commanded by Capt. SHANNON, and are, we understand, from Bath, Steuben county. They number 74 muskets, and are an exceeding fine looking corps.
The Albany Argus (Albany, NY) August 4, 1846; pg. 3.
TWENTY-NINTH CONGRESS. SECOND SESSION.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 1847. IN SENATE.
The following memorials and petitions were presented and appropriately referred:
By Mr. DICKINSON: From 513 citizens of Steuben county, New York, remonstrating against any alteration of the present rates of postage.
Daily National Intelligencer (Washington DC) Wednesday, February 10, 1847; pg. 2.

Steuben County.
     TOWN MEETINGS - Below we give the results of the town meetings, held on the 7th inst. All the towns except Caton have been heard from, and the result is the election of thirteen whigs and seventeen Locofocos. Painted Post, the strongest Whig town in the county, has elected a Locofoco, the issue being, as we are informed, "Licence" or "No License." The Licence and irregular Locofoco candidate was elected over the regular Locofoco and Whig candidates. In Addison, a Locofoco town, where two Whigs run against the regular Locofoco nominee, the irregular Whig was elected - In some of the other towns there were curious results, but we have not room for particulars. Last year the board stood 10 Whigs to 21 Locofocos.
Whig.
Addison, Wm. W. Smith; Campbell, John P. Knox; Canisteo, O. Stephens; Cohocton, John Hess; Dansville, Charles Oliver; Erwin, Wm. J. Gilbert; Hornellsville, Martin Adsit; Hornby, Willis Gaylord;
Lindley, S. J. Messereau; Pulteney, Ira Hyatt; Thurston, Fenner Eddy; Tyrone, John Lang; Wayne, John B. Mitchell
Loco.
Avoca, Geo. W. Burnham; Bath, John W. Fowler; Bradford, Wm. Bevier; Cameron, H. Hoyt; Greenwood, Finah Gyon; Howard, Joseph W. Burnham; Hartsville, _ Cook; Jasper, A. June; Orange, A. Coby; Prattsburgh, J. C. Higby; Painted Post, Jona. Brown;
Reading, F. C. Andrews; Troupsburgh, Levi Grinold; Urbana, John J. Poppino; Woodhull, C. Marlatt; Wheeler, J. E. Gunsolus; West Union, D. Sierman
Albany Evening Journal (Albany, NY) February 21, 1848.
Steuben Co., N.Y., is again troubled by the Anti-renters, who seem determined to resist collections.
Pittsburgh Daily Post (Pittsburgh, PA) Saturday, 8 Jun 1867; pg. 1.
ITEMS OF GENERAL NEWS
.
   -A movement is on foot at Hornellsville, N.Y., to have the present county of Steuben divided. It is proposed to take our Corning, Addison, and Canisteo and the south
towns and form a new county, to be known as Lincoln county.
Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Wednesday, November 30, 1892; pg. 5.
CRASH.  - Rear End Collison on the Erie Near Port Jervis.
TEN PEOPLE INJURED.
A Pullman Sleeper Reduced to Kindling Wood.
An East-Bound Passenger Train Collided With the Rear of a Train Preceding It, Which was Stopping at a Station.
     Port Jervis, N.Y., March 16. - The eastbound Erie passenger train, No. 12, was run into by No. 10, another passenger train, at Lackawanna, twenty-three miles west of Port Jervis, at 5 o'clock this morning. The rear Pullman sleeper was demolished and ten passengers, the occupants of the coach, were injured, some of them seriously. The other cars were uninjured and no passengers in them were hurt. They were shaken up badly by the shock. Surgeons and physicians were sent to the scene of the wreck on a special train from Port Jervis, and the injured persons were brought here and placed in the hospital.
     The injured are:
     W. H. DIFFENBECK, Jersey City.
     W. W. SYLVESTER, No. 36 Taylor street, Newark, N. J.
     L. SELEG, No. 433 East 79th street, New York.
     A. MORDECAI, New York.
     C. BRYANT, No. 298 Newark avenue, Jersey City.
     MRS. MARY M'CONNIE, Rexville, Steuben county, N.Y.
     W. S. GRAT, No. 103 Maiden Lane, New York
     M. COHEN, Addison, N.Y.
     JULIA LUCY, no address.
     MRS. CHARLES MAHER, Elmira, N.Y.
Evening Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Thursday, March 16, 1893; pg. 1.
THE FIRST ARK.
Steuben County Document Showing the Commencement of Ark Building, a Century Ago.
     A hundred years ago Steuben County was almost a wilderness, but there were enterprising men here who were ready to take the lead in projects that gave promise of success. That very early period was long before the days of canals and railroads, and the only way to reach a southern market was by the Tioga, Canisteo and the Susquehanna. Thus lumber was sent down in rafts, timber in cribs, and wheat in arks, planked, so as to be water-tight. This method of transportation gave a market throughout this region.
     We have just received from Edward P. Reynolds, of the County Clerk's office, at Bath, an interesting document, which is self-explanatory. Mr. Reynolds writes us that it was taken from the first book of deeds of Steuben Co. records, and is an exact copy of the original writing. Mr. Townsend, whose name is appended as Clerk of the County,
was a great grandfather of Mrs. Harry C. Herrmans, of Corning:
     Steuben County: This fourth day of April, One thousand Eight hundred Started from the Mills of Frederick Bartles on the out let of Mud Lake (Fredericks Town), two arks of the following dimensions - One built by Col. Charles Williamson, of Bath, Seventy two feet Long and fifteen feet wide, the other built by Nathan Harvey, seventy one feet Long & fifteen feet wide and were conducted down the Conhocton - (after coming through Mud Creek without any accident-) to Painted Post for Baltimore, those arks are the first built in this county, except one built on the Conhocton at White's Saw Mill five Miles below Bath by a Mr. Patterson Sweaney & others from Pennsylvania Seventy-five feet long and Sixteen feet Wide was finished and started about the Twentieth of March the same year.
     This Minute is entered to show at a future day the first commencement or embarkation in this (as is hoped) useful invention by, HENRY A. TOWNSEND, Clerk of s'd County.
-Corning Journal.
The Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) Friday, April 6, 1900; pg. 3.
ON A SIX-OUNCE ROD.
Mrs. Brownell of Steuben County Landed Eight-Pound Lake Trout.
     Few women include in their summer outing outfit fishing rods and an extensive selection of tackle. Among those who do is Mrs. Brownell of Steuben county, New York.
     Mrs. Brownell is an enthusiastic and scientific angler. She holds the record of killing the only lake trout ever taken in Lake Keuka on an ordinary brook trout rod - a six ounce one.
     Lake trout habitually lie in the deepest water, and the regulation tackle is a heavy hand line and troll, or a stiff rod rigged with heavy line  and a gang of ten hoos, on which is impaled a small fish, dead. This rig is trolled like the spoon in deep water, with a heavy lead attached to the line, which it let out from two to three hundred feet.
     Mrs. Brownell was fishing for black bass. She was using live bait, and had landed a number of big bass, when she had a strike that surprised her.
     She hooked the fish and instantly knew that it was not a black bass, for it dashed furiously for the deep water, toward the middle of the lake. Although it was an
almost unheard of thing for lake trout to be in the spot where she was fishing, she knew from the actions of the fish that it was a lake trout, and no little one at
that.
     Her husband was with her in the boat, and he started from his seat to assist her, but she told him that she was anxious to save that fish, and consequently the
best thing he could do would be not to get in her way, and he sat down.
     There are few anglers who could have successfully handled, with such light tackle, the tugging, struggling, dashing fish that was doing its best to tow Mrs.
Brownell and her boat out into the lake, but she manipulated the big trout with such skill that after half an hour's struggle she lifted it over the side of the boat
with her own hands.
     The trout weighed eight pounds, a prize well worthy the heaviest regulation lake trout tackle. Mrs. Brownell rounded out the day by killing nine thumping big
black bass. - New York Sun.
Evening Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) June 29, 1902; pg. 19.
NEW TROLLY NORTHWARD
Right of Way Reported Bought From Tioga County to York State
Special to The Inquirer.
     WILLIAMSPORT, Pa., Oct. 9. - Local trolley interests, which have for some time been considering extensions both south and west of the city, have been much interested in apparently well authenticated reports from Tioga county to the effect that a most
important system of trolleys is to be secured for Tioga county, to run from that county as far as Rexville, N.Y.
     The scheme that is being promoted and for which it is claimed a right of way has been secured, calls for a line from Wellsboro to the Cowanesque Valley, to
Knoxville, to Westfield, up Troups's Creek, to the state line across Steuben county and by way of Troupsburg to Rexville, N.Y. The proposed line would traverse a rich
rural section. A survey of the route is to be made at once, according to reports.
Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) October 10, 1909, pg. 11
ENOCH ARDEN IN REAL LIFE; NO FICTION ABOUT IT
(From Pathfinder.)
With the filing of a petition in a Steuben county, New York court, for the appointment of an administrator of the estate of Sarah Dewitt, who died there recently, a story has come out that for its unusual and striking character is fully the equal of any of the novelist's most imaginative tales. From the facts that have thus been developed it appears that the late Mrs. Dewitt was married to one Jonas Butler shortly before the breaking out of the Civil War. Butler enlisted in a New York regiment and went to the front early in 1862. The following year a report came back that he had been killed during an engagement in which his regiment had borne a prominent part. In reality Butler was not killed but severely wounded and left lying on the field. Later a party of his comrades found him and carried him off to the hospital where he lay for months, wavering between life and death. Finally when a normal physical condition had been restored his mind was such a blank that he could not recall any detail of his former life, and a number of years passed away before his memory was fully restored. Then, about the year 1894, he returned to his former home, but was careful to disclose his identity to no one. His investigations revealed the fact that his wife had married another and with his own eyes he saw her in her home, contented
and happy. With magnanimity and nselflishness rarely equaled he stole quietly away and took up his solitary residence in Pennsylvania where he still lives, poor, decrepit and ill in his old age. Mrs. Butler, it appears, waited a number of years after the report of her husband's death and when no word ame from him, either in
confirmation or in denial of the report, she really believed him dead and married again. She learned before her death that her first husband was still living, but her efforts to locate him were unavailing. However his name was among the heirs cited to appear in the court proceedings looking toward the administration of her estate. Call it Fate, Destiny, Chance-what you will-the fact that such dramas as this are continually being acted in real life serves to prove that the Bard of Avon knew something whereof he spoke when he said: "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." Somewhat puppet-like, the players go on and off, act this part or that, and are obliged to follow obediently the cue that is given them.
Lexington Leader (Lexington, KY) Sunday, December 27, 1914; pg. 5.


Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, And General History of the State, and a Complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village, and Locality. With Full Tables Of Statistics. By J. H. French. Syracuse, N.Y.: Published By R. Pearsall Smith 1860.



Page 619.

STEUBEN COUNTY.
     THIS county was formed from Ontario, March 18, 1796, and named in honor of Baron Steuben. The 7th Range of townships was annexed to Allegany co. March 11, 1808, the part in the fork of Crooked Lake to Ontario co. Feb. 25, 1814, a part of Dansville to Livingston co. Feb. 15, 1822, and a part to Schuyler co. April 7, 1854. It lies upon the s. border of the State, considerably w. of the center, is centrally distant 188 mi. from Albany, and contains 1425 sq. mi. Its surface mostly consiste of ridges and high, rolling uplands, forming the northern continuation of the Alleghany Mts. The watershed between Lake Ontario and Susquehanna River extends from Allegany co. eastward across the N. part of the co. The deep valley of Crooked Lake breaks the continuity of the highlands and extends 17 mi. s. w. from the head of the lake, connecting with the Conhocton Valley at Bath, and forming one of the numerous natural passes between the southern valleys and the basin of Lake Ontario. The highlands occupying the s.w. corner of the co. also form a portion of the watershed, being drained by branches of Canisteo River on the E. and of Genesee River on the w. The highest summits in the co. are about 2,500 feet above tide. 1 
     The upland region has nearly a uniform elevation, with a slight inclination toward the N. It is intersected by numerous deep valleys, which have evidently been excavated by the action of water. 2 The formation of the steep hillsides which border upon these valleys is such as to prove conclusively that they were once united, and that a wide, rolling plateau spread over the region now so irregular and broken. The principal of these valleys are those of Canisteo and Conhocton Rivers, extending nearly N. W. and S. E. through the co. From these valleys numerous others diverge at nearly right angles and branch off into countless deep, crooked ravines, intersecting the plateau in every direction. The hills that border upon these valleys are usually steep and 300 to 600 feet high. Conhocton River flows S. E. through near the center of the co. In high water it was once navigable for arks 14 mi. above Bath. It receives from the S. W. Neils, Bennetts, Campbells, Stockton, Michigan, and Stephens Creeks, and from the N. E. Twelve Mile, Ten Mile, Five Mile, (or Kanona,) Mud, 3 and Meads Creeks. Cauisteo River flows through a valley S. W.of the Conhocton and nearly parallel to it. In freshets it rises 6 to 8 feet, and is then navigable for boats and arks about 40 mi. Its chief tributaries are Canacadea, Crosby, Purdy, Bennetts, Col. Bills, and Tuscarora Creeks, all from the S. W. Tioga River rises in Penn., flows N. through a deep, wild mountain valley, and unites with the Canisteo at Erwin, and with the Conhocton at Painted Post, from the latter place the combined stream taking the name of Chemung River. 4 Canaseraga Creek, flowing N., drains the N. W. corner of the co.; and several small streams rising in the S. W. corner form branches of Genesee River. Crooked Lake lies along the N. E. border, in a deep valley nearly surrounded by steep hills 500 to 800 feet high. Little Lake lies in a shallow valley along the E. border of the town of Wayne. It discharges its waters S. into Mud Lake, and through Mud Creek into Conhocton River. Loon Lake, in Wayland, lies in a valley which is the southern continuation of the valley of Hemlock Lake in Livingston co. Still further S., in the same valley, is Mud Lake, a small sheet of water, the outlet of which flows S. and empties into the Conhocton.
     The shales and sandstones of the Portage group outcrop in all the deep ravines in the N. part of the co. and in the W. bank of Crooked Lake. Elsewhere, the Chemung group composes most of the surface rocks. Near the State Line the highest hills are capped with a coarse, silicious conglomerate, which forms the floor of the coal measures. 5 A feeble brine spring is found at La Grange,

     1 The following elevations have been determined, principally by actual surveys: Crooked Lake, 718 feet; Corning, 926; Village of Bath, 1,090; Hornellsville, 1,150; Arkport, 1,194; summit between Mud Lake And Bath, 1,570; summit between Bath and Arkport, 1,840; summit between Arkport and Angelica. 2,062; Troupsburgh Hills, 2,500. 
     2 Those valleys must have been excavated by more powerful currents of water than now flow through them; and their formation belongs to the drift period of geology. 
     3 Mud Creek is the outlet of Mud Lake, in Schuyler co. At the first settlement of the co. this stream was navigable, and arks were floated from Mud Lake down the creek and the Conhocton to the Susquehanna, and thence to the Baltimore market. Since the clearing of the forests, this steam has entirely failed for purposes of navigation, and now, in summer, it is almost dry.
     4 These streams were all much larger before the destruction of the forests. In time of high water the early settlers describe them as being "full from hill to hill." 
     5 The rocks of this co. are generally of a shaly nature and not fit for use. There are a few exceptions, however. One mi. N. of Bath is a stratum, 3 feet thick, of a tough, argillo-calcareous rock, forming an excellent building stone. In Woodhull, Canlsteo, and Jasper the sandstone ledges furnish an excellent quality of grindstones. At Arkport, In Dansville, and Troupsburgh are mari beds, from which lime is manufactured. - Geol. 4th Dist., pp. 483, 484.
Page 620.
and sulphur springs in Campbell, Jasper, and Urbana. The soil in general is composed of detritus of the adjacent rocks, and is better adapted to grazing than tillage. Upon the intervales along the larger streams the soil is a fertile alluvium. The extensive flats upon the Chemung are among the finest agricultural lands in the State. Agriculture forms the chief occupation of the people. Grain is largely produced on the alluvial lands, and stock is extensively raised on the uplands. Stock and wool growing and dairying are the principal branches of agriculture pursued. Lumbering is still extensively carried on, - though it is gradually decreasing. The manufactures are principally confined to lumber, articles of wood, and the heavier and coarser products neccessary to an agricultural region.
     The co. is divided into the northern and southern Jury Districts, the co. buildings being respectively situated at Bath and Corning. 1 The courthouse at Bath is a commodious brick building, erected in 1828. 2 The jail is built of wood and closely surrounded by other buildings. The cells for prisoners are in the basement, and are not provided with any means of ventilation. Its arrangements show a culpable neglect and an entire disregard of the general sentiments of the co. and of the age. The co. clerk's office is permanently located at Bath. The courthouse at Corning is a fine brick edifice, erected in 1853-54 at a cost of $14,000. The jail at Corning was erected at the same time. The courts are held alternately at Bath and Corning. The co. poorhouse is located upon a farm of 214 acres about 2 mi. N. E. of Bath Village. 3 The average number of inmates is 75; and they are supported at an average weekly cost of $1.00 each. The farm yields a revenue of about $2,000. No instruction is afforded; but the children of proper age are bound out.
     The New York & Erie R. R. enters the co. from Chemung and extends along the valleys of the Chemung, Tioga, and Canisteo Rivers to Hornellsville, and the Canacadea to the w. border of the co. It passes through Corning, Erwin, Addison, Rathbone, Cameron, Canisteo, and Hornellsville. 4 The Buffalo, N. Y. & E. R. R. extends N. W. from Corning up the Conhocton Valley, through Erwin, Campbell, Bath, Avoca, Cohocton, and Wayland, to the N. border of the co. This road intersects the Genesee Valley R. R. at Avon, the N. Y. Central at Batavia, the Buffalo & New York City at Attica, and the N. Y. & Erie at Corning. The Hornellsville Division of the Buffalo, New York & Erie R. R. extends N. W. up the valley of the Canisteo from Hornellsville, passing through that town and the S. W. corner of Dansville. The Blossburg & Corning R. R. extends from Corning, through Erwin and Lindley, s. along the Tioga Valley to the Blossburg Coal region. Crooked Lake is navigated by stream and canal boats, and forms a link in the chain of the internal water communication of the State. It is united with the Erie Canal at Montezuma by Cooked Lake Canal, Seneca Lake, and the Cayuga and Seneca Canals. The Chemung Canal navigable feeder extends from Corning E. to Horseheads, in Chemung co. Considerable lumber is floated down the rivers and finds a market at Philadelphia and Baltimore. These various works of internal improvement afford ample facilities for the transportation of goods and passengers, and bring the farm products of the co. into close proximity to the Eastern markets.
     Six newspapers are published in the co.
     1 Upon the organization of the co., in 1796, the co. buildings were located at Bath. A wood courthouse, one and a half stories high with two wings, was erected the same year. It was removed in 1828 and the present brick courthouse erected. About the time of the erection of the first courthouse, a jail was built of hewn logs, which was superseded by the erection of the present jail in 1845. By an act of the Legislatures, passed July 19, 1853, the co. was divided into two jury districts, and the co. buildings for the southern district were located at Corning.
     2 The first co. officers were William Kersey, First Judge; Abraham Bradley and Eleazur Lindley, Associate Judges; Geo. D. Cooper, co. Clerk; William Dunn, Sheriff; and Stephen Ross, Surrogate.
     3 This establishment consisted of 3 buildings, - one of brick and two of wood - containing altogether 31 rooms. In Sept. 1859, the two frame buildings were burned, and 6 persons, inmates of the establishment perished in the flames.
     4 This road was opened to Corning, Jan. 1, 1850, and to Hornellsville, Sept. 3 of the same year.

Page 621
Steuben Co. was all included in the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. It wae sold by Phelps and Gorham to Robert Morris, who conveyed it to Sir Wm. Pulteney and others, in London. The territory wae surveyed into townships and lots by Wm. Bull, for the Pulteney estate, in 1792-93. Sales were made by townships, at 18 and 20 cts. per acre. The first settlements were made in 1787-90, by immigrants from Wyoming, Penn., who located upon Chemung River, in the S. E. part of the co. These early settlers were originally from Conn. About 1790, settlements commenced in the W. part, adjoining Yates co. In 1792-93, Capt. Chas. Williamson,1 agent of the Pulteney estate, commenced a settlement at Bath. He was accompanied by a large number of Scotch and German immigrants; and under his energetic and liberal policy the settlement progressed with great rapidity. The greater part of the early settlers came from Penn. by way of Susquehanna and Chemung Rivers. Subsequently large numbers came from Eastern New York, New England, and New Jersey.2 The co. was divided by the Court of General Sessions, in 1796, into 6 towns, viz.: Bath, Canisteo, Dansville, Fredericton, Middletown, and Painted Post, comprising the territory now forming 31 towns of this co. and parts of Allegany, Yates, Livingston, and Schuyler cos. In 1790 the population was 168; in 1800 it was 1,788; and in 1855, 62,965. In extent of territory and in agricultural wealth it now ranks among the first cos. in the State. 3
     1 Capt. Williamson was a Scotchman, and an officer in the British 24th regiment of Infantry during the period of the Revolution; but he did not serve in the war, In consequence of having been made a prisoner by the French while crossing the Atlantic.
     2 "A large proportion of the first settlers upon the Canisteo were from Penn., and had within them a goodly infusion of that
boisterous spirit and love of rough play for which the free and manly sons of the backwoods are everywhere famous. On the
Susquehanna frontier, before the Revolution, had arisen an athletic, scuffling, wrestling race, lovers of hard blows, sharp
shooters, and runners, who delighted in nothing more than in those ancient sports by which the backs and limbs of all stout hearted youths have been tested since the days of Hercules, The eating of bears, the drinking of grog, the devouring of hominy, venison, and all the invigorating diet of the frontiers, the hewing down of forests, the paddling of canoes, the fighting of savages, all combined to form a generation of yeomen and foresters daring, rude, and free. Canisteo was a sprout from this stout stock, and on the generous river flats flourished with amazing vigor. Every thing that could eat, drink, and wrestle was welcome,—Turk or Tuscarora, Anak or Anthropophagus, Blue Board or Blunderbors. A 'back hold' with a Ghoul would not have been declined, nor a drinking match with a Berserkir. Since the Centaurs never has there been better specimen of a 'half horse' tribe. To many of the settlers in other parts of the country, who emigrated from the decorous civilization of the East and South, these boisterous foreigners were objects of astonishment. When 'Canesteer' went abroad, the public soon found it out. On the Conhocton they were known to some as the Six Nations, and, to the amusement and wonder of young Europeans, would sometimes visit at Bath, being of a social disposition, and sit all day, 'singing, telling stories, and drinking grog and never get drunk, nayther.' To the staid and devout they were Arabs,—cannibals. Intercourse between the scattered settlements of the colony was, of course, limited mainly to visits of necessity; but rumor took the fair fame of Canisteo in hand, and gave the settlement a notoriety through all the land which few 'rising villages' even of the present day, enjoy. It was pretty well understood over all the country that beyond the mountains of Steuben, in the midst of the most rugged district of the wilderness, lay a corn growing valley, which had been taken possession of by some vociferous tribe, whether of Mamelukes or Tartars no one could precisely say, whose whooping and obstreperous laughter was heard far and wide, suprising the solitudes."—
McMaster's Hist. Steuben co, pp.56-7-8.
     3 This co. sympathized to some extent in the hostile feeling that prevailed throughout the Holland Land Company's Purchase toward its European proprietors a few years since; but in no instance were the processes of the courts seriously impeded or effectually resisted, and juries have never returned to render for the proprietors as the facts warranted. There was doubtless little interest felt by the foreign owners in this estate beyond that of realizing the greatest sum possible from their lands; and the heavy burden of debts, interest, assignments, and back payments, perhaps not always borne with patience, have been gradually discharged, until but a comparatively small amount remains.