History of Troupsburg
As the population grew, and the people pushed away from the center of the village, many small schools were built in 1896. There were 17 small district schools with a large school in the center, called the Troupsburg Academy. The overall school system employed 20 teachers and all the school property had a valuation of $6,910. In 1896 the district received $2,276.78 in state aid and raised $1,595.24 in school taxes.
Fire destroyed the academy in the center of the village and with it, many important papers were lost. However, a new building was soon erected which many of the present residents can remember.
We do know that a class of two or three people graduated in 1891 and another class in 1892. Nothing more is known until, 1909, when Mrs. Cecile Olmstead Hunt is the only known member of the graduating class. Others graduated in 1910.
For many years there was no commencement exercises. The pupils were given their diplomas and certificates on the last day of school by their teachers or the school principal, but in 1914 a class of eight girls decided to hold commencement exercises. Members of this class were Lottie Mosher Cook, Mae Rude Bollen, Cleora Grenolds Grist, Anna Bell Gleason Potter, Blanche Cady, Florence White Reynolds, Hannah Knapp Dawson and Lucy O'Hargan. There was no school auditorium or room large enough to hold many people, so they used the hall upstairs over what is now Eddie Elwell's store for the first commencement exercises. With the help of the principal, Mr. Goldsmith, they held commencement exercises with a valedictorian, salutatorian, class will, class prophecy and, as they thought, a wonderful commencement program. For several years after this exercises were held in the hall and then in the Methodist Church.
The first alumni banquet was held in the basement of the Baptist Church in June 1920 under the supervision of Mrs. Josephine Willis, school principal.
In 1935, the taxpayers of the town voted to change the school system from a Union Free School to a Centralized system. After much hard work on the part of many local people, the State Department at Albany approved the new building and in the fall of 1937 it was ready for use.
The first music class was organized in 1935 under the direction of Miss Christine Orr. The first Homemaking course was started in the fall of 1937 with Miss Nichols as Supervisor.
As time goes by we see Troupsburg Central School advancing in all departments. We feel now that we have one of the best schools according to its size in New York State.
In 1954 an addition was erected so that we might have a kindergarten for our growing population. Also a bus garage was constructed to house the busses.
We would like to mention some of the pricipals through the years who have been instrumental in helping our school to grow. In early years there was Abner Thomas, Prof. Gifford, Darips Hober (Dee Hober's father), William Rude, Prof. Butts, Prof. Goldsmith, Mrs. Sabin, Mrs. Josehine Willis, Prof. Wedge, Wood Howell (who helped so much during the centralization), Joseph Horton, Charles Pocock, Harry Rude, Kenneth Clicquennoi, Richard Willover and Edward Tompkins.
It has been 155 years since the first school was started in Troupsburg. During these years we have seen many men and women of our community work hard that our town and community might have the best education for our children and for the children of future generations.
Hornell Evening Tribune (Hornell, NY) July 1964.