Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Wyoming County
New York
Genealogy and History

Obituaries and Death Notices

Died – Messrs. W. H. and James Abrams received Thursday, the news of the death of their mother at Perry Centre, New York.  They have the heartfelt sympathy of their friends in this city. [The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, December 1, 1883; JD, Sub by FoFG]

ADAMS, John B.

John B. Adams, age thirty-one, died yesterday at his home, No. 128 Manhattan ave., from pneumonia, after a short illness. He was a son of John C. Adams, of Newburg, N.Y., and was born at Perry, Wyoming County, N.Y., and when young moved with his parents to Newburg, and received his education at the Newburg Academy. Eight years ago he came to New York and accepted an appointment as Inspector of Customs, which position he filled for more than six years. Since leaving the service of the Government he has conducted a brokerage business at No. 60 Broadway. Mr. Adams was married two years ago to a Miss Vale, of Newburg. He had no children. The funeral, which will be private, will be held at the house tomorrow morning. The burial will be at Newburg.
[Source: New York Tribune (New York, New York), May 6, 1889]

BAILEY, Joseph Mead
Judge Joseph Mead Bailey, of the State Supreme Court of Illinois, died at his home in Freeport, Ill., last night after an illness of several weeks. Judge Bailey was born in Wyoming county, N.Y., June 22, 1833, and received his preparatory education in the Wyoming Academy. Afterward he went to the University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., from which he graduated. After being admitted to the bar in 1856 he came to Illinois, locating in Freeport, where he lived for nearly forty years. He served in the Legislature, was elected to the circuit bench and was chosen a justice of the Supreme Court in 1888. He was a republican in politics.
[Source: New York Herald (New York, New York), October 17, 1895]

BIGALOW, Daniel (Mr. & Mrs.)
Lived and Buried Together
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Bigalow died at Genesee Falls, N. Y. a few days since. They were each over eighty years of age, had lived together as husband and wife for over sixty years, raising a family of sixteen children. Both died on the same day, only a few hours apart, of natural causes, and they were buried in the same grave.
["The Evening Gazette". Saturday, December 26, 1874 Port Jervis, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

Little Valley Youth Hurt in Crash Dies
Gerald Boardman, Injured on Way to See Mother, Hurt in Earlier Accident, Succumbs - Mother's Condition Continues Critical
Gerald Boardman, 23, of Little Valley, who was injured in an auto-mobile accident Thursday afternoon while rushing to the Wyoming county community hospital in Warsaw, where his mother lay critically injured, the victim of an earlier accident, died in the Warsaw hospital Friday afternoon.
His mother, Mrs. Lee C. Boardman, continues in a ctitical condition. She has undergone adjustment of a twisted vertebrae but it has not yet been determined whether her spinal cord is injured. Her body is paralyzed below the neck but her mind is said to be clear.
Gerald suffered a compound fracture of the skull and concussion when he lost control of his car on a hill on Delhi road. The car sideswiped a tree, according to Sergeant Charles MacDonald and Trooper John Everhart of Castile. There were no witnesses to the accident, although the crash was heard by Burton Eygus, living nearby.
Gerald was taken to the hospital at Warsaw where his mother was a patient and his identity was not learned for some time, due to confusion resulting when the wrong number of his automobile license was reported.
Mrs. Boardman suffered her injuries when a car driven by her husband went out of control near Warsaw Thursday morning, as they were enroute to Vermont to visit relatives. It is believed the steering gear broke. Mr. Boardman was slightly injured, but the others riding with him, their daughter, Geraldine, and a niece, Marguerite Culp of Detroit, escaped injury.
The body of Gerald has been taken to the Middleton funeral home in Little Valley, whence the funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'- clock, Rev. William T. Dunstan officiating. Burial will be at Little Valley.
His father and other members of the family, except a sister, Helen have returned to Little Valley from Warsaw. Helen remained with her mother.
Gerald was born in Bethel, Vt., December 20th, 1912. His family moved to Little Valley during his infancy. A graduate of Little Valley high school, he had been employed by the Cattaraugus Cutlery company.
Besides his parents, he leaves three sisters, Mrs. Willard Bernhoft of
Buffalo and Helen and Geraldine, at home; and two brothers, Harry and
Harley, at home.
His death occurred at 2.15 o'clock, but was not reported in Little Valley until around 4 o'clock.
[Salamanca Republican-Press. Saturday, September 26, 1936 Salamanca, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

BURCH, Lizette Montmollin
Mrs. LIZETTE MONTMOLLIN BURCH, widow of Robert A. Burch of Brooklyn, died yesterady at Castile, N. Y. She was born in Lexingtan Ky. and was a daughter of the late Frederick Montmollin of that city. Her husband, Robert Burch, at the time of his death, eight years ago, was editor of The Brooklyn Eagle. She is survived by a daughter, Miss Clara Burch. The funeral services will be held to-morrow afternoon at the residence of Edwin Packard, 241 Henry Street, Brooklyn.
[The New York Times. Tuesday, May 05, 1903 New York, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

BURT, Anna
Mrs. Anna Burt died at Pike aged 82 years and the body was brought to the home of her nephew, W.H. Burt, of this village and the funeral services held Tuesday morning with interment in the Fisk cemetery in the town of Allen. A son, Alfred H. Burt of Buffalo, accompanied the remains.
[Olean Times. Wednesday, February 04, 1920 Olean, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

The body of the late Fred Burton, who died at Arcade was brought to Hinsdale for burial Saturday.
[Olean Evening Herald Wednesday, April 16, 1919 Olean, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez.]

CAPRON, Julia Alden
Miss Julia Alden Capron, who recently died in Pike, was a descendant of one of the- Mayflower pilgrims, John Alden, whoso name she bore.
[Hornellsville Weekly Tribune. Friday, November 03, 1899 Hornellsville, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

CLARK, Mrs. Alva
Corning, N.Y., Oct. 11 – At Castile, Wyoming County, yesterday afternoon, Alva Clark accidentally shot his wife. Their son had just returned from hunting and had handed the gun to his father, who jokingly said: “Suppose I should shoot you,” meaning his wife, and pulled the trigger. There are no chances for her recovery.
[Source: New York Herald-Tribune (New York, New York), October 12, 1894]

Asher Gardner died in Attica, Wyoming County, on the 2d inst., aged eighty-nine years. He was the oldest citizen in that town, both by age and by residence, having lived there more than sixty consecutive years.
[Source: Commercial Advertiser (New York, New York), January 21, 1869]

Died - At Warsaw, Wyoming county, 10th ult., Deacon Seth Gates, aged 72 years.
[Source: Evening Post (New York, New York), December 1, 1847]

GILE, Joseph
Class of 1857 - JOSEPH GILE. Born, Oct. 14, 1836, in Pottsville, Penn. Son of Alfred A. and Lucinda M. Kern Gile. Fitted at N.H. Conference Seminary. He taught in the high schools of Clarence, N.Y., Warsaw, N.Y., Huntington, L.I., and a grammar school in Brooklyn. Twenty-five years since, he became connected with the public schools of New Haven, Conn., and for the last fifteen years has conducted a college preparatory school for young men, serving also for ten years on the board of education. Died, Aug. 4, 1898, in Franklin, N.H.
[Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology, 1898-1899, Hanover, N.H., Dartmouth Press, 1899. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Lloyd A. Hayward of Warsaw, the nestor of the Wyoming county bar, died Wednesday morning of pneumonia in his 84th year.
[Source: Evening Tribune (Hornell, New York), March 9, 1900]

Warsaw, N.Y., Jan. 19 (Special) – Walcot J. Humphrey, the leader of the Republican party in Wyoming County, died this morning after a protracted illness. He was born in Canton, Conn., in 1817, and came to the town of Sheldon, this county, in 1818. For twenty-four years after attaining his majority he was engaged in the mercantile business in several places in this county and Bloomington, Ill., at which latter place he speculated largely in land. He came to Warsaw in 1864. He was made president of the Wyoming County National Bank in 1871, in which place he continued to his death. He was first a Whit in politics and afterward a Republican. He was supervisor of the town of Sheldon in 1862, 1863, 1864 and 1865, and of Warsaw in 1874 and 1876. He was postmaster from 1849 to 1860. In 1850 and again in 1851 he was member of the Assembly from Wyoming County, and as chairman of the Committee on Railroads he reported with its restrictions the bill for consolidating and organizing the New York Central Railroad. He was elected to the State Senate in 1865 and again in 1867 from the XXXth District. He had been a member of the Republican County Committee for the last twenty-five years, a large portion of which time he was its chairman, and he was a member of the Republican National Convention in 1876. Mr. Humphrey was twice married. His first wife was Amanda B. Martindale, of Dorset, Vt., who died in 1873 without issue. In 1874 he married Hannah Mulholland, of Monroe County, N.Y., by whom he has a daughter and son, all of whom survive him.
[Source: New York Tribune (New York, New York), January 20, 1890]

The death of Collis P. Huntington recalls the fact that his parents lived for some time in Warsaw with his sister, Mrs. David Sammis, and are buried in the cemetery at that place. Mr. Huntington erected to their memory, in the family lot of the Warsaw cemetery, a beautiful monument of Scotch granite.
[Source: Evening Tribune (Hornell, New York), August 18, 1900]

KILDOYLE, Frances R.
Mrs. Frances R. Kildoyle died yesterday, in Warsaw, aged 69 years. [Olean Times. Thursday, April 20, 1911 Olean, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

Sherman Kimberly. a soldier of the war of 1812, died in Pike, N.Y., on the 8th inst., aged 84 years.
[Hornellsville Tribune. Thursday, June 12, 1862 Hornellsville, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

James Lafferty, a stock dealer of Wyoming county, was waylaid, killed and robbed of over $1,000 Wednesday night, on Rockville Creek, Va. No clue to the murderers has been found.
[Source: New York Herald (New York, New York), March 16, 1889]

At Dale, Wyoming county, N.Y., a locomotive exploded; John Leary was killed and Charles J. Ryan was fatally wounded.
[Source: Times (Troy, New York), December 11, 1890]

LORISH, Andrew J.
Buffalo, Aug. 11 – A special dispatch to “The Times” from Warsaw says: Judge Andrew J. Lorish, of Wyoming County, was stricken with paralysis this morning about 5 o’clock and died instantly. Last night he was about the village as usual. He leaves a widow and one daughter.
[Source: New York Tribune (New York, New York), August 12, 1897]

MCCOLLUM, Elizabeth A.
Died – At the Red Sulpher Springs, Monroe county, Va., on the 28th of September, Elizabeth A., wife of Hiram McCollum, of this city, and daughter of Benedict Brooks, of Wyoming, Wyoming county, N.Y. in the 30th year of her age. Her remains were interred at the Red Sulphur Springs, Va.
[Source: Evening Post (New York, New York), October 6, 1842]

MCGLOWN, daughters
A sad catastrophe occurred on Saturday last, in the town of Marilla, Wyoming county. The house of Patrick McGlown was burned to the ground and his two youngest children perished in the flames – one a babe of a few months, the other about two years of age – both girls. It is supposed the building caught fire from a barrel of ashes setting near the house. The whole family came near perishing, and but for the cries of a small boy upstairs, who was being suffocated by the smoke, all must have shared the fate of the two little girls.
[Source: Times (Troy, New York), September 8, 1866]

Frank Miller, the shoe-blacking inventor, died in Warsaw, N. Y., yesterday. Born in Walllngford, Vt., In 1804, he went to Warsaw In 1819, a boy of 15. Without a friend residing in the State and having no trade, he engaged in tanning and shoe-making. About 1835 he invented his blacking and commenced its introduction with a small capital. For years the business was limited, but today his blacking is known in every hamlet in the United States and in foreign countries. He commenced the sale in Warsaw from a basket.
[The New York Times. Thursday, March 29, 1883 New York, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

MORRISON, William Patten
At Coney Island, on Monday, Sept. 21, William Patten Morrison, aged 42 years and 9 months. Remains removed to Newburg, N. Y., for interment.
[New York Times, Sept. 23, 1857. Submitted by Amanda Jowers.]

OLIN, Norman E.
A Sad History.
Norman E. Olin, aged 83. died at Pike Monday. Several years ago he was one of the wealthiest and most influential men of Pike. He founded Pike Seminary, was one of the founders of the Methodist church there and one of its most esteemed members. He owned a tannery and did a large boot and shoe business, employing a great many men. Then came a time when paper came due which he could not meet, creditors became alarmed and all swooped down upon him at once. Then it became known that Olin had forged notes to the amount of many thousands of dollars and his failure meant the failure of many of his old friends and neighbors. He was tried at Batavia and sent to States prison for three years. He served his time and came back to Pike, where he has lived alone ever since, doing little jobs of cobbling as long as he was able. He was buried by the town on Wednesday.
[The Olean Democrat. Thursday, December 17, 1891 Olean, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

PAGE, Henry N.
Perry, N.Y., June 30 – Henry N. Page died early this morning, aged seventy-one years. He came to Perry from New York City in 1843. He had since been a prominent business man and the recognized financier of Wyoming County. He was a member of the Assembly from Wyoming County for two terms – 1882 and 1884.
[Source: New York Tribune (New York, New York), July 1, 1894]

Col. Robt. Patterson, formerly of Perry, Wyoming county, died at his residence in Westfield, Chautauqua county, on Monday last. Thirty years ago he removed from New Hampshire to Perry, where he resided until last year. He was a brother of Ex-Lieut. Gov. George W. Patterson, of Westfield.
[Source: Albany Evening Journal (Albany, New York), July 7, 1859]

POWELL, Rosalette Joan
Mrs. R. J. Powell, Centenarian, Dies At Arcade
Mrs. Rosalette Joan Powell, 100-year-old maternal grandmother of Cattaraugus County surrogate Alonzo J. Prey, died at her Arcade home Wednesday, (September 28, 1949) after an illness of about a week. She is survived by seventy-five relatives representing four generations.
Relatives said that Mrs. Powell broke her leg in a home accident some days ago; and it’s believed the mishap was one of the major factors in her death.
The centenarian spent her entire life in western New York, having been born at Eagle February 9, 1849, of Quaker parents.
She was the wife of late Civil War veteran Alonzo S. Powell, and was the mother of eight children, four of whom are living.
The four children are Ernest Powell, Friendship, Mrs. Lena Crawford, Belfast, Mrs. Gilbert O. Prey, Salamanca, and Mrs. Ida Hall, with whom Mrs. Powell lived in Arcade.
Also surviving are twenty-six grandchildren, thirty-nine great grandchildren, and ten great-great grandchildren.
The body of Mrs. Powell will be at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hall in Arcade, where a brief prayer service will proceed regular funeral services at Caldwell’s Methodist Church, at two o’clock Saturday afternoon, (October 1, 1949). Burial will be at Caldwell Cemetery.
[Olean Times Herald Thursday, September 29, 1949 Olean, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

PUTNAM, Harvey
Death of Hon. Harvey Putnam
The Buffalo Express announces the death of Hon. Harvey Putnam, of Attica, Wyoming County. He expired on Thursday last, after a short but painful illness, aged sixty-two years. Mr. Putnam was an able and highly respected member of the bar at the time of his death. He had filled several important representative positions with credit to himself and usefulness to the public. He was several years in the State Senate, and subsequently a Representative in Congress. In all the relations of life, whether in the domestic or social circle, or as a public servant, he has discharged all the responsibilities of husband, father, neighbor, friend and citizen like a true man. He made his mark while living, and leaves an upright example to live after him as a remembrance of his good deeds.
[The New York Times. 26 Sep 1855. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez.]

ROY, Will
Murder By A Salvation Army Soldier
Buffalo, Oct. 7 (Special) – In the village of Castile, Wyoming County, today a murder took place in the family of Simon Roy, a painter. An Englishman, Robert Van Brunt, age twenty-five, a tailor, boarded with Roy. Van Brunt, who was one of the leading spirits of the Salvation Army, became infatuated with Roy’s stepdaughter Eva, a pretty girl of sixteen. Bad feeling existed between Van Brunt and the girl’s brothers. Early this morning “Will” Roy was to take a train to leave home for a time. Eva agreed to sit up with him. This angered Van Brunt and at 1 o’clock he came down stairs and told the girl she had better go to bed as her mother always required her to do at a certain hour.
“Ah,” said the girl, “that was only to apply when you were with me.”
Van Brunt left the room and presently returned with a revolver. Without warning he fired on the brother the ball taking effect just above the temple. Roy died at daybreak.
[Source: New York Tribune (New York, New York), October 8, 1886]

ROYCE, Simeon D.
Simeon D. Royce died at his residence in the village of North Java, Wyoming county, N.Y., July 22, 1891. He was born in Onondaga county, N.Y., in 1824, and in 1827 removed with his parents to the locality where his long and useful life was spent. In 1846 he married a Miss Balcomb, who lived in the neighborhood; to them several children were born. She having died in 1859, he married a daughter of the late David Proper, who with four sons and one daughter, survives him. In the midday of manhood, when his energies and activities were at their height, he gave God his heart, became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was until death an earnest, conscientious worker in the Master’s vineyard, his life as a Christian being pure and simple without ostentation of any kind. The funeral occurred July 24, his pastor, the Rev. N. North, conducting the solemn rites. Brother Royce was for many years a sufferer from asthma, which was borne with remarkable patience and fortitude. (Franklin S. Noatman)
[Source: Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, New York), August 27, 1891]

RYAN, Charles J.
At Dale, Wyoming county, N.Y., a locomotive exploded; John Leary was killed and Charles J. Ryan was fatally wounded.
[Source: Times (Troy, New York), December 11, 1890]

SANTEE, William
Died in Warsaw, Wyoming county, December 23, 1900, William Santee, aged 79 years. Williams was the third son of Isaac Santee, an early settler in the Canisteo valley. He had four brothers, John, who died a few years ago in this city, aged 74; Joseph, still living in Michigan, aged 82; James, who died in this city, aged 71; Jesse who lives in this city, aged 72. William was beloved by all who knew him; gentle, kind and affectionate. He had no enemies and will not only be missed by his relatives but by a large circle of friends which he made in this city having resided here a number of years. He leaves an aged wife, who has been his companion for more than 50 years and three children, Mary, Millie and Nettie, to mourn his loss.
[Source: Evening Tribune (Hornell, New York), December 24, 1900]

SAYER, Lydia B.
Mrs. Lydia B. Sayer, who died last week in Warsaw, Wyoming county, aged eighty-nine years, was a native of Rensselaer county. When a child she removed with her parents to Ostego county, and on her way saw Robert Fulton’s pioneer steamboat, the Clermont, on its trial trip.
[Source: Times (Troy, New York), January 21, 1892]

SQUIRE, Chester
Chester, son of Whittlesey and Elizabeth Squire, was born March 18, 1876, and was drowned, with a companion, John Stark, by the capsizing of the boat in which they were fishing, in Tunkhannock creek, at Pierceville, Pa., before daylight, May 30, 1891. His father and other companions made strenuous efforts to save them, but in the thick darkness they were not found until two hours had passed. Chester was converted during the winter of 1889-90. Both young men were held in the highest esteem by all who knew them. The funerals were held as one, at West Nicholson Methodist Episcopal church and conducted by the pastor A.S. Holland. It is said to have been the largest funeral gathering ever held in Wyoming county, the church holding but a small part of those present, the remainder filling the yard and street for some distance.
[Source: Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, New York), August 27, 1891]

Died – In Strykersville, Wyoming county, New York, on the 9th October, instant, at the residence of Rev. Ward Child’s, his son-in-law, Mr. James Stevenson, after only 48 hours illness, in 82d year of his age. A principal of several Academics in New Jersey and New York, particularly those of Elizabethtown, Morristown, New Brunswick, Canandaigua and Washington county, he was long and extensively known as one of the best Classical Teachers in the country. He lived to see more than a thousand of his pupils successively filling some of the highest places of honor and usefulness, as ministers of the Gospel, Presidents and Professors in Colleges, merchants, senators, judges, physicians and lawyers, and his memory is embalmed in the hearts of all who successively enjoyed his faithful instructions. Natural cheerfulness and Christian principles were conspicuous in the whole tenor of his life. The evening of his days was serene and tranquil and his end was emphatically peace.
[Source: Commercial Advertiser (New York, New York), October 25, 1843]

A Track Boss Dead.
John Sutley, one of the oldest track bosses, died at Castile Friday, 13th,
of Bright's disease, soon after nine o'clock, leaving a wife and five children, the youngest a babe, unprovided for. The funeral occured at Portage on Sunday.
[Hornellsville Weekly Tribune. Friday, August 20, 1886 Hornellsville, New York.. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

Riverdale Farm, in Eden township, Brown county, Minnesota, is one of the most delightful rural places in this county, and its propietor, Mr. M.C. Tower, is one of Brown county's best known and most highly respected citizens.
Mr. Tower is a native of the Empire state. He was born in Wyoming county, New York, March 27, 1841, the son of English parents who came to America in early life. Bela Tower, his father, was born in Manchester, England, and was just entering manhood when he made the Atlantic voyage and sought a home in the New World, his location being in New York. In Wyoming county, that state, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Woodard, like himself, a native of Manchester. some years after their marriage they removed to Erie county, where they passed the rest of their lives and died. He lived to the advanced age of eighty two years and she was seventy six at the time of death. Both were devoted Christians, differing somewhat, however, in their creeds, he having been a Presbyterian and a deacon in the church for many years, and she a consistent Methodist. To them were born nine children, five sons, and four daughters, namely: Alonzo N., Warren J., Merritt X., George M., Alerick W., Phoebe, Amerette, Emily and Savilla.
His father was a farmer, the subject of our sketch was reared to farm life in his native state, recieving his education in the common schools and at home being surrounded by a refined and Christian influence, honesty and industry being instilled in him in his boyhood days. Thus he grew up, and on reaching manhood was well equipped for the battle of life. He was married in Strykersville, Wyoming county, New York, and in 1864, to Miss Maryetta Curtiss, an amiable and accomplished lady, and previous to her marriage a teacher in the schools of Wyoming county. She is an only child of Freeborn H. and Laura (Cutler) Curtiss, both natives of New York, the former of Scotch-English descent and the latter of English. Mr. and Mrs. Curtiss are now residents of North Java, New York.
About the time the civil war closed Mr. Tower was seized with a desire to "go west" and in 1865 we find him locating in Wabasha county, Minnesota, where he made his home one year, at the end of that time coming farther west and settling in Redwood county, across the county line from his present location, where he improved a good farm. In 1873 he bought the farm upon which he now lives, moved here in 1875, and has since maintained his residence here, sparing neither time nor means in the improvement of his land and the beautifying of his home. This farm comprises four hundred and forty acres of choice land and is utilized chiefly as a stock farm, its broad, rich pastures rivaling the bluegrass regions of Kentucky. for years Mr. Tower has made a specialty of fine stock and is at present directing his attention more particularly to dairy cattle of the best breeds, having expended a large amount of money in securing his stock. Formerly he was largely interested in breeding improved Clydesdale horses. His long experience in the stock business and the close attention he has given it have made hime an authority on the subject, and he is recognized as such throughout the county, his opinion and advice always being valued by others in this line of business. The residence at Riverdale Farm is a commodious two story building, beautifully situated on a natural building site, with attractive surroundings, and with furnishings the bespeak both the culture and refinement as well as the wealth of the owner and his family. In his farming and stock operations Mr. Tower is ably assisted by his son Fred, who is a partner in the firm and has been trained to the business and is familiar with it in its every detail.
Mr. Tower has been a Republican until recently, when he espoused the principles adopted by the Populists and is now in favor of reform. He has frequently been urged to accept local office, but has always declined the honor, his own private affairs demanding his whole time and attention. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
[Source: "Memorial Record of S.W. Minnesota" - Submitted by Gary Boomgaarden.]

TOZIER, Orange Lester
ORANGE LESTER TOZIER died at Sheldon, N.Y., yesterday. He was born at Watertown,
N.Y., in 1826, but had lived in Sheldon since 1841. He represented Wyoming County in the State Assembly from 1979 to 1880 and had filled the offices of Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, School Director, and Assistant Provost Marshal. In 1860
he raised Company G, Ninth New York Cavalry, of which he was made Captain. Mr. Tozier was one of the delegates to the first Wyoming Republican County Convention, and had missed 'attending few since. He was a Freemason and comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1847 he married a sister of State, Senator L.N. Humphrey.
[The New York Times. Tuesday, April 10, 1900 New York, New York. Transcribed by Melissa Rodriguez]

TYRELL, Truman
In Wyoming, August 30th, Truman Tyrell, aged 30 years.
A New Englander of the Puritan stock, his life was of unblemished integrity and uprightness.  He was a fond husband, an affectionate father, a highly respected neighbor and a most estimable citizen.  His death makes a wide breach in the community and plunges many citizens in deepest sorrow.  -Wyoming Mirror
Mr. Tyrell was formerly a resident of this place and well known to the early settlers of Lowville. [The Lewis County Banner (Lowville, NY) – Wednesday, September 10, 1856); JD, Sub by FoFG]

Mr. S.W. Wade, editor of the Wyoming County Times, of Warsaw, N.Y., died yesterday of apoplexy, in Buffalo, aged forty-one years.
[Source: New York Herald (New York, New York), February 26, 1888]

Death of Gideon Watrous, Perhaps the Oldest Man in Wyoming County
Gideon Watrous died at his home two miles northwest of Perry Center early Saturday morning, of extreme old age, being over 96 years old. He was the oldest man living in the town of Perry and probably the oldest in the county.
Mr. Watrous was born in Connecticut and went with his father to Perry seventy-five years ago. He was the last of a family of eleven children. At that time the town of Perry was a dense wilderness, with no roads, simply trails, marked by cleared trees.
He was an eccentric character and lived a sort of hermit life, alone for many years. Deceased learned the stonemason trade in his youth and built a stone house on the farm taken up by the family, about seventy years ago, which he had ever since occupied.
He had his casket made a few years ago from pine lumber, cut on the farm at the time the house was built and this casket he kept in the house awaiting his death. The house has nearly crumbled away, like himself no repairs being permitted.
A niece has had the care of him for the last few years though against his will.
[Source: Evening Tribune (Hornell, New York), November 6, 1900]

In the death of the Rev. John C. Whiteside, which occurred at his home in Syracuse, N.Y., Jan. 4, 1895, a husband, father, brother and friend departed this earthly life and entered upon the life beyond.
His childhood and youth were passed in his native country, Ireland, having been born in Galway June 18, 1828. His religious training and instructions were in the Episcopal Church until, at the age of twenty-one, with his father and mother he came to this country, establishing his home at Wyoming, Wyoming county, of this state. It was here one year later, through the influence of an older sister, that he was led into a personal, conscious relationship with Christ as his Savior. He saw life in a new light. He had found that which he had not known before and exulted in his new found Savior.
After getting that which he could from the schools in his own village he entered the Northwestern University, remaining and studying two years, when he was induced to take work in the Genesee Conference. The war having broke out, in 1861, at the close of the conference year, while on the Oramel charge, he enlisted, organized a company of men and went out as their first lieutenant, was soon promoted to the captaincy of his company, and with an honorable and varied experience in seventeen of the more prominent battles of the earlier years of the war and as a prisoner for twenty months, he remained in the service until victory was achieved and the war was at an end.
As soon as he was able to resume work he was given his old charge at Oramel, in response to the unanimous request of the church there. Thinking he might receive benefit, he spent one year in Michigan, then in 1874 re-entered Genesee Conference, in which he held honorable relation till the time of his death, serving with acceptability and efficiency the following charges: Allegany, Smethport, Eldred, Scio, Arcade, Scottsburgh, Bliss and Eagle, Bristol Center, Allens Hill and Hemlock Lake. In 1888 he asked and received a supernumerary relation, and in 1892 was placed on the superannuated list.
A true man, a manly man, a Christian man, has lived his life here, has done his work and obeyed the summons “It is enough, come up higher”. This means a great deal both as to the character of the man and the work he wrought. It is not easy to compute or to estimate the value of such a life, a life true to itself and true to the interests it touches. His true, manly, Christian character was manifest in his very bearing as well as in all his life and work as preacher and pastor, as patriot and soldier, as husband and father and as a citizen of his adopted country.
He was a man with conviction of what is right and what is duty, and he had, too, the courage of his convictions, though he was modest and unassuming in the extreme. His was a matter of being and doing. He was earnest and ardent in all that he did. He was an uncompromising temperance advocate. His work on his charges was accompanied with good results in the awakening and conversion of sinners and the encouragement of believers. He loved his home and those whom God had given him. July 12, 1865, he was married to Miss Delia A. Bump, of Wyoming, and to them were born one daughter, Josie, now the wife of W. t. Cornelius, of Elkland, Pa., and one son, Milford J., a graduate of Syracuse University, and now a student in the College of Medicine. He was happy in their fellowship and loving ministrations. During his long illness, extending over two years or more, fifteen months of which time he was confined to the house and bed, he was cheerful and uncomplaining, as clear in mind, as hopeful and as full of courage as ever. As we watched his wasting, weakening form and got close up to his imprisoned, pulsating yet peaceful, trusting self, we learned more of what he was and what the grace and love and power of God can do for those and with those who learn at the feet of Jesus the Christ and give to him the best they have of heart and mind and powers. It was truly a pleasure and an inspiration to visit him, look into his face, listen to his words and know that one of God’s noblemen was ready for the crowning. “God,” he said, “has been good to me all my life, and he has made all my bed in my sickness.” At another time he said: “I need Jesus all the time and I have him all the time; yes, I have him all the time.” He loved his Church, his work and his conference. He said, “Tell the brethren at the conference I love them and send them my kind regards.”
When the end came he went quietly and peacefully without a struggle. He was not here for God had taken him. It seemed not a little strange to look upon his silent, motionless, lifeless form, which in other days had been so active, that had been present in so many places of duty and responsibility and helpfulness, that had manifested so much of life and cheerfulness, so much thought and interest for persons and events, in the midst of which our dear brother had moved.
His funeral was attended at the family residence on Sunday afternoon, Jan. 6, his pastor, Dr. Willey, having charge of the service. Prayer was offered by the Rev. W.S. Titus, of the Northern New York Conference. Addresses were made by Dr. Willey, Dr. J.E.C. Sawyer, editor of the Northern Christian Advocate, and the Rev. N.B. Congdon, a member of his own conference. His body was taken to Wyoming, his old home, and after a brief service conducted by the Rev. F.J. VanHoesen, was buried, by loving relatives and friends, beside his father and mother. Only his body died. His strong, vigorous self was alive and well, and is now living a larger, richer, more abundant life in the realms above.
The Syracuse Methodist preachers’ meeting and the Methodist Itinerant Circle of Syracuse both adopted resolutions appreciative of his life and character. (N.B. Congdon)
[Source: Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, New York), February 13, 1895]

Demise of Mrs. Nelson WOLCOTT
An Aged and Highly Respected Citizen Passes Away at the Age of 83 Years.
Monday morning, Dec. 18, 1893, at 6 o’clock, the spirit of Mrs. Nelson WOLCOTT took to flight to the great beyond, after a long and useful life. Alvina WRIGHT was born in Midlebury, Wyoming Co., N. Y., March 27, 1809 and descended from English ancestry; was married to Nelson Wolcott, September 2, 1835, came to Illinois in 1856 with her husband, where the rest of her life has been spent. Soon after her arrival here, she united with the Congregational church, and has been a devoted and faithful member for over 30 years, doing the duties that lay in her path with a true christian spirit and heroism; and was a very quiet and unassuming lady, was very devoted to her home, and family of eight children, six sons and two daughters, who are all grown to maturity, highly educated, refined and worthy citizens, which speaks volumes of the mother’s home life and early training.
Sept. 2, 1893, their children and grandchildren gathered at the old home on Batavia Ave. and celebrated the 58th wedding anniversary of the aged parents and grand-parents, little thinking that their next reunion would take place in the world beyond.
Deceased has been in very good health for one of her years, up to about two weeks ago, when she, as well as her companion was taken ill, medical skill was at once obtained and all did for her that human power could furnish, but to no avail, after having been confined to her bed for eight days with pneumonia, she quietly passed away, aged 83 years and 9 months. She was not a great sufferer during her illness and remained conscious up to the last, and knew the children, four of whom were permitted to be with and care for her during her last sickness.
Her death seems doubly hard to her aged husband, who is now confined to his bed with illness, and is feared will be unable to overcome the blow, caused by the separation of one with whom he has spent nearly 59 years of his life.
The funeral was held from the home Tuesday at 2 p.m., Rev. J. E. Bissell officiating. The following children were permitted to be present at the funeral: Mrs. E. H. BAKER, Mr. H. K. WOLCOTT, Mr. S. A. WOLCOTT, and Mr. W. A. WOLCOTT, all of this city, Mrs. T. R. WILLARD, of Galesburg, and Mr. R. N. WOLCOTT, of Grand Rapids, Mich.
The aged husband and children have the sympathy of their many friends in the hour of their sorrow.
[Batavia Herald, Kane County, IL, 21 Dec. 1893 - Sub. by K.T.]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails