25th Ohio
Regiment History


By Edward C. Culp
Late Lieut. Colonel 25th Ohio, and Brevet Colonel United States Volunteers
Topeka, Kansas: Geo. W. Crane & Co., Printers and Binders 1885

Transcribed by Peggy Thompson


Cheat Mountain to Huttonsville-Camp Alleghany-Huntersville Expedition -Co. D transferred to 12th Ohio Battery

Nothing of importance occurred on the mountain after the battle of Green Briar. Several scouting parties were sent out, but nothing was accomplished worthy of note. On the 15th of October clothing was received by the Regiment. The suffering among the men from lack of sufficient clothing had been very great.

On the 24th of November, 1861, the Regiment received marching orders, and on the morning of the 25th left Cheat Mountain camp for the valley. A halt was made in the pass at the foot of the mountain for three days, when the command was moved three miles further to Huttonsville, where it went into camp. A portion of the Regiment, under Capt. Washburn, was sent to Elkwater, eight miles southwest of the main camp. The duty at these two camps was quite light, giving the men a chance to recruit, after the arduous duty on the mountain.

On the morning of the 11th of December, detachments from the Regiment, numbering in all four hundred and sixty men and officers, under command of Col. Jas. A. Jones, left Huttonsville to take part in an attack on Camp Alleghany. The forces intended for the expedition were assembled on Cheat Mountain, and were composed of the detachment spoken of from the 25th Ohio, the 9th Indiana, 2d Virginia, and small detachments from the 32d Ohio and 13th Indiana.

On the afternoon of the 12th, the column left Cheat Mountain, and arrived in the evening at Green Briar, the battle ground of the 3d of October. The camp had been abandoned by the rebels for several days, and anticipating a visit from the Federal troops they had left several amusing sentences written upon the walls, for our edification. After viewing their works it was rather humiliating to think that we did not even try to capture them.

The plan of attack upon Camp Alleghany was as follows:
Col. Jones, with his Regiment, and the detachments from 32d Ohio and 13th Indiana, was ordered to advance to the right and rear of the enemy's camp, and there await the attack in front by the 9th Indiana and 2d Virginia, under the immediate command of General Milroy, but owing to a succession of blunders, the attack was not made in front at the proper time, and the enemy discovering the position taken by Col. Jones, he was forced to make an immediate attack, or retire. He chose the former course, trusting that the sound of his firing would hasten the attack by Milroy, and advancing his lines just at daylight became immediately engaged. He pushed bravely forward, driving the enemy before him, expecting every moment to hear Milroy's guns in front, until being quite heavily re-enforced the enemy made a desperate and gallant stand. Here the battle raged furiously for three hours, each side being repeatedly driven back, only to gain fresh courage for anew attack. Every man, on both sides, was engaged in the action, and few engagements of the war show as stubborn a contest. Twice were the rebels driven into their cabins, and compelled to fire from the windows and loop holes. Finally, finding that his ammunition was nearly exhausted, Col. Jones ordered his command to retire, and they drew off in perfect order, not even being followed by the enemy. Many amusing incidents took place during the engagement. At times both sides took to the trees, and a good many personal encounters took place between individual combatants. Not the least amusing incident was a body of the 25th giving three cheers to a squad of rebels fully protected in a log cabin, into which the boys had driven them.

The following is Col. Jones official report:

Brig. Gen. R. H. Milroy-

SIR: In compliance with your order, I have the honor to inform you of the movements and conduct of my Regiment, and a portion of the 32d Ohio and 13th Indiana, which were temporarily attached to my command, on the 13th inst., at Camp Baldwin, on the summit of the Alleghany Mountains.

After leaving the pike we advanced up the mountain, which was very steep and rocky, for about one mile, to the summit, on the right and rear of the enemy's camp, there to await the attack of the 9th Indiana and 2d Virginia, as you directed. But as we approached the top of the hill, we discovered the enemy's pickets, who immediately retreated. I gave the order to pursue them in double quick, as the enemy would be informed of our advance. One company of the 13th Indiana, being in advance, was conducted by Lieut. McDonald, of Gen. Reynolds' staff, until we arrived at the edge of the woods, in full view of the enemy's camp. Finding them already formed, and advancing with a large force to attack us, Lieut. McDonald halted the company of the 13th, and ordered it to deploy into line. I immediately formed the 25th on his right, and the other two companies of the 13th on his left, and the 32d Ohio detachment on their left. The fire was immediately opened on the right, and carried through the line. After a few rounds the enemy retreated in great confusion and slaughter, leaving the dead and wounded on the field. They rallied, however, and commenced to advance, returning our fire with vigor. In a few minutes the enemy fell back, and attempted to turn our right flank, but were immediately met and repulsed. After making several attempts to drive us from the woods, they deployed to our left. I ordered a portion of my command to advance, and attack them, which was done in a gallant manner, the enemy retreating to their cabins, but soon again appearing. Some of the men, along the entire line, finding they were not receiving the expected support, disgracefully left the field. The remainder of the command fought like veteran soldiers, driving the enemy again into the cabins; but being soon rallied by their officers, they again renewed the attack with a large re-enforcement, and poured a galling fire into our thinned ranks, our men holding their position and returning the fire with great effect. Many of the men had left the field with the wounded, and others without cause, which had much reduced our numbers. Our ammunition was almost exhausted. At this time the enemy was re-enforced with artillery, and opened upon us with shot and shell, but without much effect. A third time we drove them to their quarters, but having no ammunition left, I thought it prudent to fall back to the headquarters of the commanding general, which was done in good order. The enemy's force, as near as I could ascertain, was about 2,500, with nine pieces of artillery. The force under my command numbered 700.


KILLED.-Charles Latham, Co. D; Corporal Levi S. Stewart, Co. E; Isaac Nigh, Co. E; Christopher J. Thayer, Co. E; John C. Fuller, Co. F; Sergeant Hiram Ward, Co. D; Wm. T. Maher, Co. G.

WOUNDED.-Co. A. Sergeant Hezekiah Thomas; Privates Jno. W. Holland, Clark H. King, Levi Butler, Henry Meek, Levi Ryan, Wm. T. Lockwood, Samuel Henry, James McMullen, Daniel J. Crooks, James C. Bolan. Co. B. Lieut. John D. Merryman; Sergeant Geo. W. Martin; Corporal Charles Beck; Private Joseph I. Hopton. Co. C. Sergeant Wm. Henthorn (mortally;) Privates Jonathan Dunn, Wm. J. Henthorn, Elijah Becket (mortally.) Co. D. Lieut. Darius Dirlam; Privates Wm. Jones., Jonathan Ward, Wm. White, Daniel S. Coe, Benjamin B. Compton, Wm. H. Brown, Charles C. Rodier. Co. E. Privates John E. Rearick, Richard D. Phelps, August Freet. Co. F. Corporal Emile A. Huston; Privates Thomas Jones, Asa Meredith, George M. Aulter, John McKinley, Hugh Wilson. Co. G. Privates Geo. Haney (mortally,) Michael Harris, John D. Fisher, Gilbert J. Ogden, John Ewalt. Co. H. Corporal Cornelius Burral; Privates John S. Dunn, Wm. Chadwick, Blair Kincaid, Wm. Work, George W. Reed. Co. I. Privates Archeleus Lingo, Wm. Barlow, N. C. Lovett, Isaac M. Kirk, Jenney Breach. Co. K. Privates Shepherd Lewis (mortally,) Harlan Page, Andrew Hutchins.

MISSING.-Private John Richards, Co. A., Lorenzo Shackle Jonathan Hayden, Co. I., Marcus L. Decker and John H.
Brisco, Co. K.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
(Signed) JAMES A. JONES,
Col. 2bth Reg't O. V. I.

The Regiment returned to Cheat Mountain camp that evening, having marched sixty miles, and fought four hours, within a space of forty hours. The next day it returned to Huttonsville. From this time until the latter days of December, nothing of importance occurred. Upon the last day of December, the Huntersville expedition, under Major Webster, left camp at Huttonsville. The account of the expedition is best given in the following report of Major Webster.

HUTTONSVILLE, VA., January 6th, 1862.

Brig. Gen. R. JET. Milroy-

SIR : I have the honor to report that, in obedience to your orders, on the 31st day of December last, at 10 o'clock p.m., I left this place with a detachment of four hundred men of the 25th Ohio, for Huntersville, Pocahontas Co., Virginia. At Elkwood I was joined by a detachment of four hundred men of the 2d Virginia, under Major Owens, and at Big Springs by a detachment of thirty-eight cavalry, of the Bracken Cavalry, under Lieut. Dalzell. I appointed Lieut. C. B. Jones, of the 25th Ohio, acting adjutant.

On the morning of the 3d of January, finding the road at the base of Elk Mountain, and for the distance of one mile, so obstructed by felled trees as to render the passage of teams impossible, I left my own wagons, and detached Captain Johnson, of the 25th, with fifty of the most disabled men, to guard them.

Avoiding the obstructions by a detour to the left, I pushed forward to Green Briar River, and ascertained that a considerable number of militia were gathered at the bridge, one mile below, on their way to Huntersville. I directed Lieut. Dalzell with his detachment of cavalry to ford the river, and by a rapid movement across the River Mountain, to gain possession of the road in rear of the bridge. This he did in most gallant style, and cut off from Huntersville the entire militia at the bridge, excepting a few mounted scouts. The balance fled back into the country, evidently in great confusion and dismay.

Hastily detaching Capt. Williams of the 25th with fifty men to hold the bridge, I pushed forward, and when two miles from town, I discovered the enemy's cavalry at the extreme of a level bottom field, dismounted, and posted over the brow of a hilly spur which jutted out into the field from the right, with Knapp's Creek on their left. I immediately deployed a part of the 25th Ohio up the hill to our left, to turn the enemy's right, and with the balance of our force, moved up in front. The enemy at once opened upon us, and their fire became general, which was vigorously responded to by our men. They soon discovered my flank movement and falling back to their horses, hastily mounted and fled.

I again moved the column forward, crossed Knapp's Creek, and found the enemy posted upon a second bottom, extending from our right nearly across the valley, and half a mile in front of town. I deployed Companies A and B of the 25th into line to our right, at the base of the hill, to attack the enemy's left, and directed Major Owens of the 2d Virginia, and Bracken Cavalry, to make a considerable detour, turn the enemy's right, and take them in rear. The balance of the 25th I formed to attack in front. This disposition made, and in the way of rapid execution under the enemy's fire, and Companies A and B having opened up upon his left, the enemy again retreated, mounted, and retired into town. After a few minutes rest, I formed my command into two columns, the 25th to move upon the right, and the 2d Virginia and cavalry upon the left of town. In this order the troops rushed forward, cheering, into the streets, as the enemy, after a few ineffectual shots fled in confusion to the country.

We found the place deserted, houses broken open, and goods scattered, the cause of which was soon stated by a returned citizen. The rebel commander had ordered all the citizens to remove their valuable property, as he intended, if beaten, to burn the town. We found large quantities of rebel stores, consisting in part of 350 bbls. of flour, 150,000 lbs. salt meat, 30,000 lbs. salt pork, and large quantities of sugar, coffee, rice, bacon, clothing, &c, all of which I caused to be destroyed, by burning the buildings in which they were stored, having no means of bringing them off. The value of the property thus destroyed, I estimated at 130,000. Our forces captured and brought back a large number of Sharp's carbines, sabres, horse pistols and some army clothing. The enemy had in the action 400 regular cavalry, armed with Sharp's carbines, and several hundred mounted militiamen, assembled from Pocahontas county the night before. There were also two companies of Infantry in the village, but they fled without making a stand.

Private Oliver P. Hershey, Co. E, was severely wounded in the arm. No other casualty occurred on our side. I nailed the stars and stripes to the top of the court house, and left them flying.

After remaining in town two hours, I marched back to Edry through a drenching rain and sleet, having made twenty-five miles that day. Today I returned to Huttonsville, having made a winter march of one hundred and two miles in less than six days, and penetrated into the enemy's country thirty miles further than anybody of our troops had before gone.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
(Signed) GEORGE WEBSTER, Major 25th 0. V. L,Commanding

"While at Huttonsville, Company D, Capt. Johnson, was permanently detached, as a battery of artillery, and armed with steel guns. It was afterwards known as the 12th Ohio battery, and achieved an enviable reputation in the different campaigns of Virginia and the Southwest. Edward C. Culp, one of the sergeants of Co. D, had been, previous to the detachment of his company, appointed Sergeant Major of the Regiment, and remained with it.


On the 27th of February, 1862, the Regiment left Huttonsville, and marched to Beverly, where it remained in camp until the following April. Here the old "smooth-bores" were turned over to the ordinance officer, and the men armed with Vincennes rifles, splendid guns, carrying two-ounce balls, and having saber bayonets. They proved very effective pieces, but were too heavy, and gradually were exchanged for regulation Springfield rifles.

On the first day of April, the Regiment, under command of Major George Webster, proceeded on the Seneca scout, and going via Ludesville, crossed the Cheat and Alleghany Mountains, passed through Circleville, and arrived at Monterey April 10th, having marched over almost impassable roads one hundred and twenty-five miles, and through a country entirely new to Union troops. At Monterey the 25th Ohio was joined by a similar expedition sent via Camp Alleghany. On the 12th of April, Gen. Ben Johnson (rebel), who had retired from Monterey upon the Federal approach, made an attack upon the Union troops. He was gallantly repulsed, and Gen. Milroy's arrival with re-enforcements, compelled him to fall back to McDowell, thirteen miles south of Monterey.

On the morning of the 18th of April, Gen. Milroy advanced his command to McDowell, without serious opposition, the enemy retreating towards Staunton.

The troops went into camp at McDowell. Everything remained quiet until the 7th of May, when a large rebel force under Gen. Johnson appeared in front of McDowell. Heavy forces of skirmishers were sent forward, and held their ground gallantly, against heavy odds, preventing a general engagement until the arrival of Gen. Schenck with his excellent brigade of Ohio troops, when it was decided by the Union generals, to attack the rebels who were advantageously posted on the summit of Bull Pasture Mountain. The attack was made late in the afternoon of the 8th by the 25th, supported by the 75th Ohio. By a gallant charge, the enemy was driven from his first position. The Confederates made desperate attempts to regain the lost position, but each charge was repulsed with heavy loss. Re-enforcements were sent forward on both sides and very soon the engagement assumed a rather formidable character. On the Union side were engaged the 25th, 75th, 73d, 32d, and 82d Ohio regiments, the 2d and 5th Virginia regiments, and the 12th Ohio battery. The battle raged until after dark with unremitted fury, and without apparent advantage to either side. Finally the Union troops were ordered to fall back, the 25th Ohio being the last regiment to leave the field, bringing off all the wounded that had not previously been removed. It was claimed that this engagement had been brought in to cover the withdrawal of the division to Franklin that night. At least, while the battle was being fought, all the wagons were started to that place, followed the same night by the troops, without molestation from the enemy. The whole division was in camp at Franklin on the 11th.

The following extract from the official report of Lieut. Col. Richardson, commanding 25th Ohio, gives a list of the casualties in battle of Bull Pasture Mountain, or, as called by the rebels, battle of McDowell:

"Company G was commanded by Serg't Milliman, in the absence of all commissioned officers of this company.

Every man in the Regiment seemed inspired by the same resolution to do his whole duty, and acted accordingly. I was under the immediate command of Col. N. C. McLean, of the 75th Ohio, a brave and efficient officer, who will probably report more at length. The engagement lasted about two hours, when night prevented further contest. The Regiment returned in good order to McDowell, brining off their dead and wounded.

The whole number engaged in my Regiment, 469.

Killed - Co. B. Wm. D. Driggs, Co. C. James B. McPeek, Sylvanus S. Williams, S. Williams, Thomas E. Coalwell. Co. E. Josiah Fought. Co. F. Theodore E. Lodge. Co. H. Brazelia M. Eveland. Co. I. Thomas Smartwood. Co. K. Neil Cameron.

Missing. Co. E. John Loose.

Wounded. Co. A. Lieut. Arthur Higgins; corporal Wm. H. Spear; Privates Samuel Beall, Wm. F. Bloor, Hiram S. Hahn, Geo. W. Iden, Drewer C. Iveson, Henry Lambert, Samuel McCrum, Robert H. Miller, Henry Meek, James Russell, Geo. W. Verbeck, Henry C. White, Co. B. Sergeants Geo. W. Martin, Slater B. Brock; Corporals Chas. G. Troy, Samuel Trigg, Chas. Twinum; Privates Wesley B. Sultzer, Nathan Morris. Co. C. Corporal Samuel T. Hutchinson; Privates Jacob H. Bailey, Jno. Tisher. Co. E. Corporal Orlando L. Mills; Privates Geo. Algyer, John Schell, Fred Gillyer, John Everingham. Co. G. Private Gilbert I. Ogden. Co. H. Privates Henry W. Outcalt, Wm. M. Metcalf, Geo. W. Reed, James Williams. Co. I. Sergeant Wm. B. Teters; Corporal James W. Houston; Privates Howard Hallett, Wm. H. McBride, Aspberry Stephens, Wm. West, Wm. H. Brown, Samuel J. Brooks. Co. K. Privates Wm. Vickery, Christian E. Evans, Thomas O'Neal, Charles A. DeBolt.

Major General Fremont soon joined the forces at Franklin, with re-enforcements and assumed command of the army.

On the 18th of May, 1862, the Regiment lost the services of an excellent officer, by the resignation of Col. James A. Jones, who for some time had been too ill to attend to regimental duties. The command of the Regiment then devolved upon Lieut. Col. Richardson, who was soon afterwards promoted to colonel. Major George Webster was made lieutenant colonel, and Capt. James F. Charlesworth, Company A, promoted to Major.

On the 26th of May, the 25th Ohio accompanied the forces under Gen. Fremont on his march from Franklin to Strausburg, and thence up the Shenandoah Valley in pursuit of Stonewall Jackson, which ended in the battle of Cross Keyes, on the 8th of June.

The campaign in the valley will always be remembered by those who took part in it; the severe storms, cold weather, and lack of clothing and provisions make up a sad tale of suffering. The idiotic orders issued preventing the burning of fence rails, the killing of hogs, chickens and cattle, when the troops were absolutely without rations, will remain as wonderful specimens of the "kid glove policy" advocated during the early part of the Rebellion.

Gen. Jackson was closely pursued by the army under Fremont to Cross Keyes, where he was to cross the river to Port Republic. The indecisive engagement, known as the Battle of Cross Keyes, commenced about nine o'clock in the morning and continued with unremitting fury until four o'clock in the afternoon; the balance of the day and early hours of the evening were taken up by skirmishing and artillery firing. The battle was fought without a plan, and resulted in no advantage to the Union cause. The bivouac of our army on the battle field, the retreat of Jackson during the night across the river, and his battle the next day with Shields, are well known to the students of history.

The 25th was still in Milroy's brigade, and behaved with its usual credit, receiving praise upon the field from the commanding general.

A severe loss to the Regiment was the wounding of Capt. Charlesworth, who was shot through the bowels and at the time considered to be mortally wounded. He recovered in a measure, and afterwards returned to his Regiment as lieutenant colonel, but after a few days' service was compelled to resign on account of disability. He was a brave and efficient officer.

Killed - Company B. John Easthorn. Company C. James L. Hopper, Frederick Woodtler. Company E. George Whitson. Company I. Friend J. Wilson, Reuben E. Gant. Company K. Conrad Daum.

Missing - Company E. William Mackey. Company I. Andrew J. Collins.

Wounded. Company A. - Capt. James F. Charlesworth; Sergt. Israel White; Privates Joseph Acres, William Harrison. Company B. Corporal James D. McMunn; Private Samuel White. Company C. Sergt. Alonzo P. Henthorn; Private Amida Province. Company E. Privates Joel Spohn, Charles Slaughterbeck. Company F. Privates Joseph H. White, Michael Cantwell, Patrick Burke. Company G. Sergt. Alfred A. Lamkin; Corporals Herbert Ogden, Samuel Baughman, William J. Kyle; Privates Conrad Smith, Eli F. Beard, George Longstreet, Leonard W. Gaddis, Melvin O. Robinson, Adolphus Meyer, John N. Kline, Simon L. Kahn. Company I. Sergt. Joseph Perry; Privates William H. Wharton, Seneca O. Rogers, Daniel McCullock, Samuel Calland, Ed. T. Lovett. Company K. Charles A. Smith, Charles M. Cass, Michael Herbert, Wesley H. Cooper, Reginald Crawford, James Jones.

After pursuing the enemy to Port Republic, on the morning of the 9th, the army was halted, marched back to Harrisonburg, and thence to Strausburg, having marching during the campaign two hundred and fifty miles.

While lying at Strausburg some important changes took place in the Regiment. Lieut. Col. George Webster was promoted to the colonelcy of the 91st Ohio, and shortly afterwards, while commanding a brigade, was killed at the battle of Perryville, in Kentucky. He was a chivalrous gentleman, and a natural soldier. Had he lived he would undoubtedly have taken high rank among the notable leaders of the war. Major Charlesworth was promoted to lieutenant colonel, but was still kept at home by the severe wounds received at Cross Keyes. Capt. James Washburn, of Company B, was promoted to the colonelcy of the 116th Ohio, and served with credit, becoming a brigade commander. Capt. Jere. Williams, of Company C, was commissioned major, vice Charlesworth promoted. Capt. Lewis R. Green, a young and promising officer of Company H, died of typhoid fever, after a short illness. Lieuts. Askew, Haughton, Bowlus and Jones were promoted to captains, and Sergeants N. J. Manning, C. E. Randall and Edward C. Culp were commissioned second lieutenants. A number of non-commissioned officers of the Regiment were given commissions in new regiments, and a large number of recruits were received from Ohio, and some from Virginia.

The reorganization of the army took place on the 26th of June, and was known as the Army of Virginia, and Major General John Pope assigned by the President to the chief command. The 25th, 75th, 55th and 73d Ohio regiments constituted the second brigade of the first division of the first corps. Col. N. C. McLean, of the 75th Ohio, was the brigade commander, Major General Robert C. Schenck was the division commander and Major General Franz Sigel Corps Commander.

The 25th remained at Strausburg until July 6th, when with its corps it marched through Middleton, Front Royal and Luray, via Thornton's gap, to Sperryville, arriving there on the 10th.

On the evening of August 8th, the first corps left Sperryville, passed through Culpepper and arrived on the battle field of Slaughter Mountain August 10th. The corps was placed in position for the next day's fight, but during the night the enemy retreated. The corps moved forward to the Rapidan, where it was halted until the 15th when it marched via Culpepper C. H. to White Sulphur Springs.

The Regiment took its full share in the various movements culminating in the second battle of Bull Run, and the following official report of Col. Wm. P. Richardson carries the history of the Regiment to include that engagement:

UPTON HILL, VA., SEPT. 19, 1862

Col. N. C. McLean, Comdg. 2d Brigade, 1st Div, 1st Army Corps:

Sir - I beg leave to submit the following report of the part taken by my Regiment in the maneuvers and battles of Pope's army, from the 21st of August to the 31st of the same month.

On the 21st day of August, we were at the White Sulphur Springs in Fauquier county, Virginia, and received orders to send our baggage trains to Warrenton, taking with the Regiment four wagons, two for ammunition, and two for supplies. Five days' rations were issued - that is, of hard tack, sugar and coffee and we marched to the neighborhood of Rappahannock Station. In the evening we were moved further up the river, and encamped for the night. Heavy Cannonading had been kept up all day down the river on our left. On the morning of the 22d we moved up to Freeman's Ford, and immediately upon our arrival, our artillery became engaged. General Sigel himself came on the ground and superintended the planting of a battery of reserve artillery, in addition to the one of our brigade at that time engaged. After some two or three hours heavy firing, the rebel batteries were silenced or withdrawn. Soon after, Bohlene brigade of Schenck's division was sent over to the river for some purpose unknown to me. They crossed the river near the left of our brigade. The ford was deep and the bank of difficult ascent. After they had penetrated some distance into the country on the opposite side of the river, heavy firing was heard and it presently became evident that our forces were falling back to the ford. By your direction my Regiment was placed as quickly as possible in a situation to command the ford and protect our troops in recrossing. The enemy advanced in heavy force, but upon receiving our third fire retired, and all the troops on the south side passed safely over before dark. In this skirmish we had one man mortally wounded - George Ogden, Corporal of Company G. We remained that night at Freeman's Ford. On the morning of the 23d we received orders to march and after considerable delay we started on our return to the springs, arriving in the neighborhood of them after sun down. A short skirmish occurred on our left, which was kept up some time after dark. I was informed to was Milroy's brigade that was engaged. On the morning of the 24th, my regiment and the 73d Ohio with four pieces of artillery of De Beck's battery were sent on a reconnaissance, and after advancing two miles, it was ascertained that the rebels had recrossed the river, and had some batteries in position on the opposite side. They were opened upon by our battery, but did not reply. Shortly afterwards we were joined by our brigade, marched to Waterloo brigade, and encamped for the night. We remained in the neighborhood of Waterloo bridge all day of the 25th. Nothing of importance occurred, except that all day large bodies of rebel troops could be seen passing north and west at a distance of some four or five miles from the river and about sundown it was found they had crossed above us in force. After dark we received orders to march, and proceeded in the direction of Warrenton. The night was very dark, the roads miserable, the progress very slow, and excessively fatiguing to the men. We arrived at Warrenton at 2 o'clock on the morning of the 26th and remained there all that day, starting on the morning of the 27th for Gainesville, which place we reached about dark. When within four miles of Gainesville, our advance guard came up with the rear of some rebel force; skirmishing was kept up until we stopped for the night, and several prisoners taken. On the morning of the 28th we were marched towards Manassas, taking several prisoners along the road. When within a short distance of Manassas, we turned around and marched towards Gainesville and having proceeded in that direction some distance we were again countermarched towards Manassas, and then turned to the left towards Bull Run. About sundown we came within sight of the rebel force, and after some skirmishing took up a position and our battery opened upon a rebel battery in the edge of the woods. About dark a sharp engagement took place a mile or two to our left the force upon our side engaged being under General King. Early on the morning of the 29th we were in motion and advanced on the south side of the road, in all perhaps two miles and occupied during part of the day the ground upon which the battle had been fought by General King. We found some of his wounded who were cared for by your direction. In the afternoon the enemy appeared endeavoring to pass around our left, and we were marched to the left and rear, and late in the evening were withdrawn to a position a short distance in advance of the one we had occupied in the morning. Although frequently under fire of the enemy's artillery, we had no opportunity of using our small arms, and we had but two men wounded. After dark an attempt was made upon our lines by the enemy, and a portion of the night was spent under arms. We remained in our position on the 30th until about four o'clock in the afternoon when the brigade was ordered to take up a position on Bald Hill to our left, to support General Reynolds. You placed your brigade in position, and your battery as follows: the 75th Ohio on the right of the battery in line; the 25th and 73d Ohio regiments in line on the left of the battery.

A short time after we had taken our position the troops on our left marched past us by the right flank and in our front and disappeared to our right. The enemy soon appeared in our front, driving before them a regiment of Zouaves. You opened upon them as soon as they came within range, with grape and canister, and the infantry were soon after briskly engaged in firing. They were driven back by our fire in considerable confusion and unquestionably heavy loss. They made their appearance again directly in front of the 73d Ohio, in the edge of the woods, but were a second time drive back by our fire.

Our men were in high spirits feeling confident of their ability to maintain their position when a large force of the enemy were perceived advancing with artillery on our left and rear. They opened upon us at the same time, with grape, canister and infantry. In a short time the regiment on my left, under a terrific fire gave way. Shortly afterwards an order was given to change front, which I attempted to execute, but the fire was so terrible and the noise of the battle so great, that it was impossible to be heard or do anything without confusion. We were forced from our position and retired to the woods in our rear. My men behaved well, indeed gallantly; but by some blundering we were left unprotected on our left and then came the murderous assault on three sides of us, which resulted as I have stated.

I wish to state, before closing this report, that the constant marching, both day and night for the last twelve days previous to the 30th, had reduced my number of effective men to two hundred and thirty on the day of the battle; and many of those bare-footed and all of them exhausted. I further desire to protest against what I consider the injustice done to the troops of Sigel's corps, by a published report of Major General Pope. From the 21st to the 31st of August, some portion of our corps was engaged every day, often fiercely; our marches have been extraordinary and our losses great. Yet we have been totally ignored. I am glad also to state that the officers and men of my command have every confidence in the ability bravery and patriotism of the commanding general of the corps, and fully believe that no part of the disaster of Bull Run was produced by any act, neglect or omission of his; but, on the other hand, that if he had had control of the army, it would not have happened.

The following is a list of the casualties in my regiment:

Killed - Company E. Private John Ferrel. Company H. Alvin N. Burlingham. Company G. Privates John Benny, Geo. W. McVicker. Company K. Sergt. Lewis F. Shannon; Privates Enos W. Miner, Edward D. Peck.

Missing - Company A. Privates Wm. T. Lockwood, James McMullen, George W. Iden, William T. Andrews. Company B. Privates Newlin C. Mercer, Joseph Stewart, William Lowther, James Trigg. Company E. Privates Jesse C. Chance, Hiram Odell. Company G. Private Erwin M. Bergstresser. Company H. Privates Thomas Cooper, J. N. Stevens, O. J. Dunn. Company K. Corporal Wm. T. Ketchum; Privates Charles Cholett, Lewis Miller, James Benway, John A. Church, Richrad M. Sherman, William Vickery, David H. Linn.

Wounded - Company A. Privates Drewer C. Iveson, William H. Crisswell, George Cass, Robert Creighton, John McKirahan, Robert A. Fowler, Reuben Donnally, Emanuel Riley, John Lebold. Company B. Sergt. Hugh McConville; Privates Daniel Berry, Oliver P. Smith, John W. Doherty. Company C. Corporals John Tisher, Thomas Batton; Privates Jacob H. Bailey, Joseph Sill, Francis Schonhart, John W. Hoskins, Robert Longwell, William Batton. Company E. Sergeants Elisha Biggerstaff and Charles Ladd; Corporal Cyrus Odell; Privates Lucius Marsh, John Tweedle, John Leary, Elbridge Comstock, Franklin Wright, William Lowry, Flavius N. Lowrey, James W. Barnes, Darius Minnier. Company G. Privates Geo. Taylor, James Male, Ephraim H. Lewis, James C. Houston. Company H. Private David Hartley. Company I. First Lieut. John D. Merryman; Corporals Joseph Cunningham, Samuel G. Shirk, Emanuel De Noon; Privates Benjamin F. Rickey, Wm. Gants, Charles Weinstein, Nelson C. Loveatt, Company K. George Huyck (mortally), Thomas Rose, James Moran, Sergeant Peter Triquart.

Very respectfully your obedient servant,
(Signed) Wm. P. Richardson
Col. 25th Reg't O. V. I.

At this late day (1883), over twenty years after the above report was written, it is gratifying to pick up a recently published volume and find justice at last done to the second brigade, referred to in Richardson's report. The volume referred to is "The Army Under Pope," by John Codman Ropes, and contains the only reliable account of Pope's campaign in Virginia that has yet been published. Every soldier of the Army of the Potomac, at least, should read this excellent work. In speaking of the engagement on Bald Hill, where the 25th Ohio sustained its principal loss, the author says:

"The struggle for the possession of Bald Hill, was most obstinate and sanguinary. McLean's brigade of Schenck's division was first sent to hold it, and did hold it handsomely, repulsing several attacks both in front and rear, until the command was reduced to a skeleton. Schenck himself was severely wounded at the head of the reinforcements which he was leading to McLean's support. The two brigades of Koltes and Kryzanowski were put in, and for a time stayed the advancing tide. The losses were very severe, as the enemy were in large force. The brave Colonel Koltes here fell sword in hand, at the head of his men. In the conflict around this hill, General Tower was severely wounded at the head of two of Rickett's brigades and Col. Fletcher Webster of the 12th Massachusetts, a son of the great statesman, was killed while leading his regiment.

In their first attack on this strong position, even the impetuosity of Hood's Texans failed to make any impression. Hood was compelled to fall back, and all that could be done, says Evans, who commanded the division was to hold the enemy with the other brigade until Anderson's division came up. In one of his brigades, 631 officers and men were killed and wounded, probably one-fourth of the actual force present on the field. Two colonels were killed and one wounded.

D. R. Jones (Confederate) also found his way to the Chinn House, and the two brigades which he had with him "went in most gallantly, suffering severe loss." In one of these brigades, (Anderson's), consisting of five regiments, but one field officer was untouched. They had to fall back, however, and were evidently very severely handled. The account which Generals Benning and Anderson give of their experience with these two brigades is very interesting. It was evident that the troops who held the hill held it with obstinate courage, and that they yielded only to the assaults of fresh troops. Jones' division got no further than the Chinn House that day.

In spite, however, of this heroic resistance, the enemy carried the position by main force. They suffered heavily, but fresh relays pressed on with great enthusiasm, and they finally drove our forces from Bald Hill."

Thus ended, so far as our brigade was concerned, the second battle of Bull Run, or as the rebels call it, the battle of Manassas. It was a severe defeat to the Union army, and a humiliating one to Gen. Pope. Yet it was not a panic, nor did it partake of the nature of a rout. There were some stragglers hastening to the rear, as is always the case in a general engagement. But the army, as an army, retired under orders, and the retreat was conducted in good order, with no pursuit. The army was really defeated, when the engagement took place at Henry House hill. The position was important and if lost to Pope's army, might possibly turn the decent retreat into a disorderly panic. But the position was not lost, and after repeated charges, of the most desperate character, the rebels were forced to give up the contest.

The history of the war does not furnish a single instance, upon either side, where the defeated army behaved as creditably as did Gen. Pope's army on this memorable day; and when, on the evening of the 30th, it arrived at Centreville, the organizations were perfectly preserved.

On the 3d of September, the Regiment marched, via Fairfax C. H. and Vienna, to Upton Hill, having since the 8th of August marched 220 miles, been under fire fourteen days in succession on the Rapphannock, and participated in the second battle of Bull Run.

The Regiment remained in camp at Upton Hill until September 25th, when it was ordered to Centreville. On the 29th when it was again on the march through Manassas Junction to Warrenton, and from there back to Centreville, where it remained until November 2d, when the entire corps marched to Thoroughfare Gap, remaining there until the 19th, and then returning to Chantiilly.

About this time Capt. Asa Way, of Company G., resigned his commission, on account of disability. Dr. William Walton, of Woodsfield, Ohio, joined the Regiment as second assistant surgeon.

The Regiment remained at Chantilly until December 10th, 1862, when with its brigade it was placed en route for Fredericksburg, but arrived there too late to participate in the battle, and marched back to Stafford C. H. It was at this place, where, after much neglect all, the sutlers came in with loaded wagons. The men had not yet been paid, or not for some time, at least, and many hungry eyes were fixed longingly upon the wagons. Private ___________, of Company K, was equal to the occasion - carefully noting the time at which the guard was to be relieved and the number of the relief, he "borrowed" a sergeant's blouse, and made a special detail of his own. About ten minutes before the regular relief was due, he made the rounds, relieving every man on guard around the wagons and before the trick was discovered there was only a "beggarly array" of empty wagons left. The peculiar facility with which the boys of the 25th could up a job of that kind, merited, and received the appreciation of the balance of the division. The boys engaged in the fraudulent relief never were discovered.

We remained in camp at the Court House until January 20th, 1863, when the brigade marched to Belle Plains, but in a few days returned to the neighborhood of the old camp, and built permanent winter quarters.

While the Regiment was at Belle Plains, Adjt. William L. Hoyt resigned his commission.

Brooks' Station-Spring of 1863-Chancellorsville

From January 20th, 1863, until the latter part of the following April, the Regiment remained in camp at Brooks' Station, in the brigade temporarily under command of Col. J. C. Lee, of the 55th Ohio. The division was commanded by Gen. N. C. McLean. Battalion and brigade drills were held daily, in preparation for the spring campaign, which, under Major General Hooker, promised to be unusually active.

In the reorganization of the army we were placed in the eleventh corps, which was formed mostly of troops that had been under command of Gen. Franz Sigel. Gen. O. O. Howard was the corps commander. Some alterations had occurred in our brigade. The 73d Ohio had been transferred to another division, and the 107th Ohio and 17th Connecticut, a new regiment, just come to the front, had been added to the brigade; three of the old regiments remained, viz., 25th, 55th and 75th Ohio. Before the campaign fully opened, Col. J. C. Lee returned to the command of his regiment, and Brig. Gen. J. C. McLean, late colonel of the 75th Ohio, to the brigade, leaving the division to the command of Major General Devens. As before stated, Gen. O. O. Howard commanded the corps. Some dissatisfaction existed among the German troops, occasioned by the removal of their favorite commander, Gen. Franz Sigel, and Howard was looked upon with considerable disfavor. The free-thinking element of the corps took but little stock in the ministerial reputation of the new commander. They felt that a representative countryman had been unjustly deprived of his command, and therefore entered upon the campaign with less enthusiasm than would have been shown had Sigel occupied his old position as their leader. This feeling, however, occasioned no part of the disaster which befell the eleventh corps on the 2d of May, 1863. Twenty years have elapsed since the battle of Chancellorsville, during which time it has been convenient to attribute the result of that campaign to the demoralization of the corps. It is time justice should be done, by calling attention to the actions of Generals Howard and Devens, and the position occupied by the first division, upon which the disastrous assault was made.

On the 27th of April, 1862, the corps marched toward Chancellorsville via Hartwood Church, Kelly's and Germania fords, and reached Chan-cellorsville April 30th, and was placed in position near Hatch's house.

It is a remarkable incident that the 25th Ohio left camp at Brooks' Station with 443 officers and men, and on the evening of the last day's march, took 444 men into camp, one man from the hospital, Oliver W. Williams, hospital steward, having joined the Regiment, and not one having straggled from the ranks during the march.

Devens' division formed the extreme right of the army, with Von Gilsa's brigade on the right, two regiments facing west and the other southwest. McLean's brigade was on the left, about one mile from the Chancellorsville House; the 55th Ohio in line on the right of the brigade, the 107th Ohio in line in the center, and the 17th Connecticut in line on the left, excepting that three companies, under Lieut. Col. Walter, of this regiment, were advanced a few yards, and occupied the garden east of Hatch's house, with a picket fence, against which they threw some brush and dirt, to form slight breastworks.

These three regiments faced southwest, and were on that side of the dirt road. A rail fence running along that side of the road was utilized as far as possible in making breastworks. The 75th Ohio was in rear of the 55th, formed in column by division, and the 25th Ohio occupying same formation in rear of the 107th, both facing southwest. In front of our brigade were open fields for half a mile, extending to the wilderness on our right.

When the pickets, detailed the night before from the Regiment, were relieved in the morning, a sergeant of unusual intelligence in charge of them, Abe Heed, of Company A, reported to Colonel Richardson that large bodies of troops had passed in our front to the right during the night.

Richardson reported this fact immediately to General McLean, and with the approval of that officer, sent out four scouts - Sergt. Abe Heed privates James Justus, John T. Peck and William Lindner-of tried courage and fidelity, from in front of our picket line. They proceeded to our extreme right-until fired upon by the enemy's pickets, and returned with the astounding intelligence that the rebels were massing heavily on the right and rear of the division, and not more than half a mile from the outer regiment, and not much over one mile from division headquarters. Colonel Richardson conveyed this intelligence to General McLean, who reported it to General Devens. An hour passed without any new disposition being made to meet the threatened attack, when Colonels Richardson and Lee both visited General McLean at his headquarters, to ascertain if any orders were to be issued. General McLean suggested that they, with him, go to General Devens and reiterate the information. That general, however, seemed utterly unable to appreciate the gravity of the situation, and in fact treated the information with disrespect, and suggested to General McLean that the proper place for his colonels were with their regiments. With such insulting neglect, Colonel Richardson returned to his regiment, and although it was early in the afternoon, he ordered the company cooks to immediately prepare supper, privately conversed with his officers as to what they should do under certain circumstances, and in fact prepared them for a surprise which he knew would overwhelm the division. There was not a private soldier in the 25th Ohio but knew by four o'clock on the afternoon of May 2d that this condition of affairs existed.

But this was not the only intelligence received of the movements of Stonewall Jackson. In spite of his precautions to conceal his march, it was observed by officers and men of General Birney's command, and at once reported to General Hooker. Although Hooker did not regard it as a flanking movement on the part of the enemy, for the very audacity of such a step upon the part of Lee did not render it probable, he was compelled to believe that either that general was making a retreat, or adopting some new plan of attack or defense. But to provide against the contingency of a flank attack, at ten o'clock on the morning of the 2d of May, he sent a written dispatch to General Howard directing him to examine the ground around his position, with a view of meeting a flank attack. He was told in the dispatch that the commanding general had good reason to suppose that the enemy was moving on his right, and that he should advance his pickets well for the purposes of observation. Notwithstanding this dispatch, no precautions were taken against the impending danger. We now have the unpardonable stupidity of two general officers, a division and corps commander, absolutely ignoring-the one, positive intelligence of the immediate presence of a large body of the enemy, the other a direct order from his superior officer to ascertain if such a condition of affairs did exist. The dispatch from Hooker to Howard was received by the latter not later than 10:30 A. M., while Devens received his information from Colonel Richardson the first time through General McLean at one o'clock, and again in the presence of McLean, Lee and Richardson, not later than three o'clock.

From 10:30 A. M. to 6 P. M., when the assault was made, there was more than enough time for Devens' position to have been made absolutely impregnable. The singular thing about this whole matter is, that neither Devens nor Howard seemed to have any curiosity to gratify. There is no proof on record that any attempt was made to ascertain the truth or falsity of the reports. The subsequent route of the division was possible only from the grossest neglect of all military precautions, and there is no doubt but that the disaster resulted from Howard's and Devens' absolute disregard, under repeated warnings received by them during the the eight hours preceding the assault. Howard scouted the reports, and Devens insulted the informants.

The writer was present when Richardson informed Devens of the reports brought in by his scouts, and heard Devens say to McLean, "I guess Col. Richardson is somewhat scared; you had better order him to his regiment."

Fitz John Porter was dismissed from the army in disgrace, and barely escaped death for less fault. Devens has since been Attorney General of the United States, and now holds a high federal appointment in Massachusetts.

The first notice our troops had of the approach of the enemy was the rapid flight of a large herd of deer, which came out of the wilderness and passed along the front of the second brigade, followed almost immediately by the overwhelming onslaught of Stonewall Jackson's veteran troops upon an unprepared division, occupying a weak line of defense, and facing in a different direction from which the attack was made. Some of the regiments had their guns stacked, and men were eating, making coffee, playing cards, cleaning guns, and engaged in the usual avocations of camp life when the enemy are a thousand miles away. This was the case in many of the regiments, and in all of the regiments of the brigade on the right, Von Gilsa's, which received the first attack. But Cols. Lee and Richardson, knowing the deadly danger hovering over the division, had their regiments well in hand, and were anxiously awaiting the expected attack. Several shells coming directly down the road, followed almost immediately by canister and musketry, proclaimed the rapid advance of the enemy. The writer of this was an aid on the staff of Gen. McLean, and when the attack was made he was lying on the grass in front of Hatch's house, holding his horse by the reins, in readiness for immediate use. Hearing cheers and laughter, he raised on his elbow to ascertain the cause, and found it to be the frightened deer rushing in front of the brigade; while watching them, and dimly conscious of the cause, a solid shot came from the right and struck the body of the apple tree under which he was lying. Gen. McLean sprang on his horse and started down the road to the right of the brigade, accompanied by his staff officers, and almost immediately followed by Gen. Devens; the soldiers from the first brigade were coming to the rear in the utmost confusion, crushed by the first assault. After the first rush the enemy stopped for a minute or two to get in some kind of order, and in that interval, which was hardly distinguishable, Col. Lee asked for permission to change the front of his regiment, saying that his men were being shot in the back; receiving no response, although McLean and Devens were within ten feet of him, he called out for 'his men to get upon the other side of the light works they had thrown up.

The 75th Ohio was lying massed in column by division with its flanks exposed to the murderous fire, and in five minutes had lost every field officer, and two-thirds of the regiment lay dead or wounded.

By this time the first brigade was coming back in waves of panic-stricken men, not stopping to throw aside their equipments, but slashing the confining straps with their knives. To them, resistance was simply impracticable. The best and bravest troops that ever existed would, under the same circumstances, have been terrorized. The regiments of the second brigade opened their ranks for the fugitives. Amidst this dire confusion, an order was carried to Col. Richardson to change front and deploy. The Regiment executed the movement gallantly, although it took them under the merciless lire, from which there was no hope of escape.

Many of the 55th and 75th Ohio fell into the ranks of the 25th, which remained in line keeping up a stubborn fire, until the broken, flying fragments of the first brigade had passed, and the enemy had encircled it on three sides. Then the order to retreat was given, and more than half the Regiment engaged left bleed-ing and dying on the ground where the line had been maintained. Darkness, fresh troops well handled, principally of the twelfth corps, and massed artillery, checked the rebel advance, and thus ended the first day's battle.

At the commencement of the assault, only 330 men were in line, two companies being on picket in front, and escaping with small loss.

That night the corps was re-organized, and the next morning placed in the intrenchments, where it remained until the morning of the 5th, when it was moved across the river, and the same day marched to its old camp at Brooks' Station.

Every regiment in the brigade suffered the loss of one or more field officers. Col. Noble, of the 17th Connecticut, was severely wounded, and Lieut. Col. Walter killed. Col. Riley, of the 75th, was killed, and Col. Richardson was severely wounded in the shoulder, and for some time the wound was considered a mortal one. He finally recovered with the loss of the use of his right arm, and until the close of the war had command of Camp Chase, Ohio.


KILLED.-Company A. Privates John Zane, William T. Lockwood, Levi Butler. Company C. Privates Lafayette Henthorn, James Province, August Fisher, Isaac F. Hutchinson, Joseph P. Noll, John W. Harrison. Company E. Privates George F. Alford, Joseph C. Wright. Company F. Private John T. Han-cock. Company G. Private Edgar A. Way. Company I. Private James S. Wiley. Company K. Lieut. Alex. Sinclair; Private Anthony Jeremy.

MISSING.-Company A. Lieut. William A. Whitcraft; Sergt. William B. Wright; Corporal Hiram Nichol; Privates Hiram S. Hahn, Benjamin R. Johnson, William Binder. Company B. Lieut. Isaac M Ivirk; Sergt. Hugh McConville; Privates J. J. Hopton, James B. Trigg, A. J. Lloyd. Company C. Privates Henry M. Link, John Tisher. Company D. Privates Joseph Waters, Soloman Workman, Christopher Hughes. Cmpany E. Private Henry Barnup. Company F. Sergt. John McKinley; Corporal John C. Maxwell; Private Thomas Evans. Company G. Private Charles F. Robinson. Company H. Privates Samuel B. Marquis, George W. Reed, William H. Timberlake. T. Timberlake. Company I. Privates William H. Beymer, John W. Beall, James W. Calvert, Samuel J. Davids, Joseph W. Monland, George W. Shafer. Company K. Sergt. E. L. Viers; Privates Calvin Carpenter, William H. Dean, William S. Halloway, Werter H. Shaffer.

WOUNDED.-Fiehl and Stnf T. Col. William P. Richardson; Lieut. Col. Jere. Williams; Sergt. Major Hezekiah Thomas; Hospital Steward Oliver W. Williams. Company A. Lieut.William A. Whitcraft (mortally), Second Lieut. Israel White; Sergts. Samuel R. Stewart, Abram Heed; Corporal William Peck; Privates Joseph Acres, James C. Bolan, Robert M. Fulton, John Wyer, William Simpson. Company B. Lieut. George W. Martin; Sergt. F. A. Masters; Corporals John O. Archbold, H N. Ford (mortally), Nathan Morris; Privates Joseph Brown, Henry Jones, Mark Lawrence, J. L. Patton, William H. Stine, J. B. Vaughn, John C. Duff, John M. Hinds, Frederick Rose, Israel Rucker. Company C. Sergts. William H. Kast, Francis Armstrong; Corporals Thomas Batton, John Frey, George Beach; Privates Henry Armstrong, Jacob H. Bailey, William Craig, Alex. Dunn, George Trick, August Tisher (mortally), Israel N. Headley (mortally), Franklin Long, Alexander W. Lowe. Company E. Sergt. John A. Stump; Privates Alfred T. Stump, Frederick T. Beagle, George Dugan, August Freet, Joel Spohn, James Bacon, Richard D. Phelps, Lewis Zeigler, Henry Smuck. Company F. Privates John M. Kehr, George Harmon, David C. Ingles, David S. McKinley, Michael Cantwell, William H. Irwins, John Williams, James M. Jones. Company G. Lieut. C. E. Randall; Sergts. J. C. Livinsparger, Blyden H. Boyce; Corporals A. J. Ames, F. A. Lumbar; Privates E. L. Karns, William McGee, H Perkins, William R. Gray, J. W. Smith, George White, L. D. Fisher, Robert Longmore, John M. Dickie, George Taylor. Company H. Sergts. John E. Timberlake, George Newman, James Hyler; Corporals Robert W. Spurrier, John T. Painter, John L. Dunn; Privates Michael F. Danforth, Zeno F. Davis, Jefferson Fouts, John Gellespie, William N. Mills, Thomas B. Sheets, Newton Livezey. Company K. Sergt. William P. Scott; Corporals Lyman B. Stone, John Klinck; Privates George Brown, Martin Bender, Christ. Bowman, Lawrence Burnes, Sumner B. Felt, Shubert Hutchins, Andrew J. Hutchins, Michael Herbert, Enos Kameron, Morrison Lewis.

Many of the missing were killed and wounded. Company D, which took part in this battle, was a small company of recruits; it was not recognized as an organization, and the men were, shortly afterwards, assigned to other companies in the Regiment.

Surgeon Louis G. Meyer remained upon the battle field, purposely allowing himself to be captured, in order to personally care for our wounded. He was exchanged in a few days. His action is deserving of the highest credit.

Changes in Regiment-New Commander-Presentation of Sword to Maj. Gen. R. H. Milroy
The Regiment remained in camp until June 12th following, during which time the brigade and division commanders were changed, the division being commanded by Brig. Gen. Francis C. Barlow, and the brigade by Brig. Gen. Adelbert Ames, both efficient and gallant officers. Col. Richardson being absent on account of wounds, the regiment was commanded by Lieut. Col. Jere. Williams.

Several changes also occurred among the officers of the Regiment. Lieut. Col. Charlesworth was discharged on account of wounds received. Major Jere. "Williams was promoted to lieutenant colonel. Capt. John F. Oliver, Company F., was promoted to major, but never served in that capacity with the Regiment, being appointed provost marshal of one of the districts of Ohio. Capt. John W. Bowlus, Company C, was commissioned major, but very soon afterwards discharged on account of disability. Capts. Askew, Company I, Crowell, Company E, Higgins, Company H, Jones, Company B, Lieut. Merryman, Company I, and Quartermaster A. J. Hale, resigned, the latter being succeeded by Commissary Sergeant David R. Hunt. Several new officers were promoted from the ranks. But four of the original officers remained with the regiment, and they had all received promotion, viz., Col. Richardson, Lieut. Col. Williams, Capts. Nat Haughton and John T. Wood.

While the Regiment was lying at Brook's Station, the officers and enlisted men purchased a handsome sword and sash, and sent them by Lieut. Col. Charles-worth to Maj. Gen. R. H. Milroy, then commanding a division in the 8th army corps. The testimonial was an expression of esteem and affection toward a former commander. The following letter from Gen. Milroy acknowledges acceptance of the gift:


Col. William P. Richardson, and Officers and Privates of the 25th Ohio Volunteer Infantry:

I was agreeably surprised today by the appearance of Lieutenant Colonel Harlesworth, of your Regiment, at my headquarters. Of course, being an old comrade-in-arms, and an honored and gallant member of your Regiment, he received at my hands a most cordial welcome. Before I had recovered from the agreeable recollection which his presence suggested, in your name he presented me with a sword, the dress and service scabbards of which are richly ornamented with jewels, and a sash and belt of corresponding elegance; and also handed me your flattering and affectionate letter of presentation. This letter is signed by all the officers and men of your gallant Regiment that have served under my command. You are all aware of my dearth of language, and will not, I am certain, judge of the emotions excited in my heart by this greatest surprise of my life, from the mode in which I may express them. Your Regiment was a part of the first brigade which I had the honor to command. You endured the rigors of a Cheat Mountain winter, participated in driving the rebels away from the territory now comprising West Virginia, across the Alleghanies and the Valley of Monterey, and gallantly led the Union forces in the battle of Bull Pasture Mountain. As a part of my command you served in the arduous campaigns under Fremont, in the Shenandoah Valley, and fought with unfaltering courage at Cross Keyes. During the whole time you served under my command, you all, officers and privates, conducted yourselves like men who had engaged in the struggle which now convulses our country from no venal motive, but from a conscientious conviction of duty. Shortly after the battle of Cross Keyes, against my wish, and greatly to my regret, you were transferred to another command, but as you remained in the same army corps with my brigade, I was an eye-witness of your fidelity and courage in the campaign of the Rappahannock, and at the last battle of Manassas. When your Regiment first became a part of my command, it was near a thousand strong. It has since been strengthened by recruits, as I have been informed, not less than three hundred. It now numbers about five hundred. The Regiment has not, to my knowledge, been disgraced by a single desertion, and has suffered, in consequence of its good discipline and strict attention of its officers, but little from the ordinary causes of mortality. The great majority of the eight hundred missing from your ranks have been disabled in battle, or repose in honorable graves on the Alleghanies, Bull Pasture Mountain, at Cross Keyes, along the lines of the Rappahanock, or on the plains of Manassas. As the sun of the Union rises with increased splendor above the storm of battle, it is consoling to hope that those who have been gathered to their fathers have not died in vain. The consideration that this present is made to me as their former commander, at the expiration of nearly a year after the severance of that relation, by the survivors of so many hard-contested fields, and of such a heroic band, invests it with a peculiar significance and value. I would have preferred that the gift had been less costly, for it derives none of its importance, in my estimation, from its intrinsic worth. The brief and affectionate letter of presentation, accompanied by the signatures of the donors, is as highly prized, and will be as carefully preserved by me, as the costly present which it represents. Rest assured, brother soldiers, of my heartfelt wish that you may survive to witness, in the restoration of the Union of your fathers, the fruition of your sacrifices and labors. With feelings of admiration, gratitude and respect, I am, fellow-soldiers,
Very truly your friend,
E. H. MILROY, Major General.

The Battle of Gettysburg

The movements of the army preceding the battle of Gettysburg need not be dwelt upon. Lee had invaded the North, a part of his command almost penetrating the suburbs of Harrisburg. Hooker was keeping a vigilant outlook, and, while protecting Washington, was waiting for re-enforcements before striking a decisive blow. A force of over 10,000 men was in garrison at Harper's Ferry; General Hooker asked that these passive troops be added to the command of Gen. Slocum, in order that a large force might act directly against Lee's com-munications with Richmond. Halleck positively refused this request. Having before this refused to allow Heintzelman to report to Hooker, the latter finding himself thwarted in all his plans by the authorities at Washington, offered his resignation, which was accepted, and Maj. Gen. Geo. G. Meade was assigned to the command of the Army of the Potomac. The new commander was undoubtedly a favorite of General Halleck, for when he, without any authority, ordered the troops from Harper's Ferry, he was not reprimanded, and in fact no notice taken of his action. In addition to these reinforcements, General Couch, who commanded the department of the Susquehanna, was also placed under the order of Meade, a request which had been denied to Hooker. Had the latter remained in command of the army, Lee's army would never have re-crossed the Potomac as an organization.

It was on the 12th of June, 1863, that the Regiment, with its corps, left camp to participate in the Gettysburg campaign, and the 29th of June found it at Emmettsburg, Pennsylvania. Both armies were being rapidly concentrated, Lee having issued orders for his corps commanders to unite at Gettysburg. On the date above given, the first and eleventh corps were at Emmettsburg, the third and twelfth at Middleburg, the fifth at Tanytown, the second at Uniontown, and the sixth at New Windsor. On the 30th the army advanced nearer the Susquehanna, the eleventh corps still at Emmettsburg. The first corps had been ordered to Gettysburg, but General Reynolds, its commander, had halted it at Marsh Creek, as the enemy were reported nearing his position. At this time General Meade determined to make his defensive position on Pipe creek, about fifteen miles southeast of Gettysburg. In looking over the map of the country around Gettysburg, it is difficult to conceive what Meade's idea could have been in selecting this position. He could not have forced Lee to fight him on that line, and as it did not in any way interfere with the latter's communications, he might have kept up his depredations in Pennsylvania, retiring at his convenience across the Potomac. But fortunate blunders intervened in favor of the Union cause, and a gallant Pennsylvanian, General Reynolds, was fortunately near the rebel forces. Without orders from Meade, he determined to advance to Gettysburg, directing the eleventh corps to come to his support, and upon the morning of July 1st our corps was marching rapidly towards Gettysburg, General Barlow's division in advance. Upon arriving at a church, four miles from Gettysburg, Barlow was to halt the head of the column and await orders.

Before reaching the church heavy cannonading was heard in the direction of Gettysburg, and Barlow ordered one of his aids, Lieutenant Gulp, to ride ahead as rapidly as possible, ascertain the cause of the firing, and to convey the information that he would not halt at the church. The aid rode rapidly to Gettysburg, and met Captain Pearson, of General Howard's staff, who directed him to return to Barlow at once and request him to bring up the eleventh corps with the utmost dispatch; that the first corps had been engaged for three hours with a greatly superior force; General Reynolds was killed, and half his corps killed or wounded. The eleventh corps pushed forward rapidly, and reached Gettysburg at 1 o'clock p. M. Barlow's and Schimmelpfennig's divisions were ordered to prolong the line of the first corps to the right, on Seminary Ridge. Steinwehr's division, with the reserve artillery, under Major Osborne, were placed on Cemetery Hill, in rear of Gettysburg. This disposition was made under the orders of General Howard, who had preceded his corps to Gettysburg, and, upon the death of General Reynolds, assumed command of the two corps.

It was evident that our forces were now engaged with over half of Lee's army, and unless help was soon at hand, would be compelled to fall back. Howard selected the position on Cemetery Hill as a rallying point, and the next, two days fighting showed the wisdom of the selection. It was well adapted for a defensive position. Its stone fences formed perfect works for the infantry, while its gentle slopes were admirably adapted for artillery. Commanding eminences were on either flank, on which batteries could be posted to great advantage. Its convex shape allowed re-enforcements to move with great celerity to any point of the line. Upon this hill General Howard, made his headquarters during the afternoon.

The two divisions of the eleventh corps were under the enemy's fire before they were well in position, and shortly afterwards Col. Williams received orders to support Battery G, 4th U. S. Artillery, and the 25th took its position under a most trying artillery fire. Soon, however, the entire division moved forward, but met a fresh division under Early, which had just arrived on the field. The battle waged fiercely and obstinately for an hour, and two-thirds of Barlow's division were killed or wounded. Barlow himself was severely wounded, his horse killed, and all his staff officers and orderlies but two dead or wounded. The first corps had been fighting since 10 o'clock, and was almost annihilated; the two divisions of the eleventh corps were reduced to one-third their number, when a general retreat was ordered to the cemetery, which was rapidly accomplished. The official account of the battle shows that on the first day the 25th Ohio had four commanding officers, viz., Lieut. Col. Williams, Capt. Manning, Lieut. Wm, Maloney and Lieut. Israel White. Capt. Nat. Haughton was upon General Ames' staff, and wounded severely. Capt. John T. Wood, Company E, was staff officer with Gen. Barlow, and severely wounded. Lieut. E. C. Culp was also with General Barlow. Upon arriving at Cemetery Hill, the Regiment, then under command of Lieut. White, and numbering only sixty men, was deployed as skirmishers in the outskirts of the town. The regiment remained on the skirmish line all that night and until 2 p. M. of the next day, sustaining an additional loss of fourteen men from rebel sharp-shooters who were posted in the houses fronting our position. At that hour it was ordered to the support of a battery on the hill, and remained exposed to a terrific artillery fire until evening, when the firing ceased, and under cover of the smoke the rebels made a desperate charge and succeeded in gaining the very crest of the hill. Among the batteries the fighting was hand to hand, and for a' few minutes it was the most sanguinary of the campaign. The rebel charge was led by Hays' and Hoke's brigades of Early's division, with Gordon's division in reserve. They first struck Von Gilsa's brigade, which was posted behind a stone fence at the foot of the hill. Ames' brigade was driven back to the batteries, where it made a stand with the artillery men, the latter fighting with hand-spikes, rammers and staves. The smoke of battle was so thick that with the increasing darkness it became difficult to distinguish friend from foe; at this juncture Carroll's brigade came to Ames' relief, and the enemy finding they were about to be over whelmned, retreated in confusion. Our guns opened a most destructive fire, and the slaughter was terrific. Out of 1,750 men of an organization known as the "Louisiana Tigers," only 150 returned from the charge. Within thirty minutes from the time the charge was made, the smoke had cleared away and the moon had risen with great brilliancy, flooding the battle field with mellow light. Gen. Ames re-formed his lines, and extended aid to the hundreds of rebel soldiers lying wounded inside our lines. It was a ghastly battle field.

The history. of the third day is well known; the terrific musketry, the deafening roar of artillery, the desperate assaults of the enemy, will never be forgotten by those on Cemetery Hill. The Regiment suffered severely from sharp-shooters, as it still occupied the advanced line.

At daylight on the morning of July 4th, the 25th led the advance into Gettysburg. All of the officers had been killed or wounded, and the regiment was commanded on the 4th by First Lieut. John H. Milliman, who was wounded on the first day. The Regiment went into the battle on the first day with 220 officers and men, and sustained a loss of 179, and had eight color sergeants killed or wounded.

The following is a list of the casualties during the three days fighting:

KILLED.-Company A. Private James E. Clifford. Company B. Privates William Elliger, Joshua T. Brown. Company C. First Sergt. John W. Pierce; Corporal John Prey; Private Martin V. Barnes. Company E. Sergeant Chas. Ladd; Privates David Highman, Samuel Twaddle, John Tweedle. Company G. Charles V. Harrison, William H. Gulick. Company H. Hiram M. Hughes. Company I. Edward T. Lovett. Company K. Lieut. Lewis E. Wilson; Private Thomas Dunn

MISSING.-Lieut. Col. Jere. Williams, also wounded. Company A. Sergt. James Mellon; Privates Theodore Carter, William Gallaher, Thomas Gallaher, Joseph Gallaher, William Hughes, John Kent, Elias Baile, Philip Gable, John McCon-nell, Wilson S. Colby, Isaac C. Patterson. Company B. Sergt. Slater B. Brock; Corporal John H. Twaddle; Privates John C. Duff, Abraham Hayden, William M. Lowther, Samuel Prescott, Augustus Fierhelder. Company C. Privates Alex. E. Holland, William Hamilton. Company E. Sergts. Elisha Biggerstaff, Hiram Odell. Company F. Sergts. John F. Thompson, Basil C. Shields, John H. Saunders; Corpomls Thomas Nolan, John Tucker, Josiah O. Curl, Gustav Kolby; Privates Patrick Burk, Thomas Burchfield, Samuel Crawford, George W. Cooper, Henry Grier, James McConnell, Wilson H. Patterson, David P. Scott, James L. Shields. Company G. Sergt. William J.Kyle; Privates Leonard W. Gaddis, Eli F. Beard, John A. Perky, Ephraim H. Lewis, Jacob Lips, John J. Cummings. Company H. Lieut. H. H. Moseley; Lieut. William Maloney; Corporals John T. Painter, William L. Smoot; Privates William Davis, William Chadwick, James A. Poland, Isaac N. Young, Oscar J. Dunn, Maurice Donahue, John W. Stephens. Company I. Sergt. Howard Hallett; Corporal John Bunting; Privates William Shaw, John S. Rhodes, Kins. Davis, Reuben E. Gant. Company K. Corporal John Baker; Privates George S. Frazier, Sumner B. Felt, Jonathan Raney, Thomas O'Neil.

WOUNDED.-Company A. Capt. Nat. Haughton; Privates James E. Clifford, John Lebold, Simon L. Voorheis, Daniel L. Tyrrel, James G. Whittle, William White, James Russell, Samuel McCrumb, Robert Creighton, Nathaniel Wallace, Adolf Weidebusch, John McKirahan, Thomas W. Fowler; Corporal Michael Murray; Sergt. Samuel R. Stewart. Company B. Lieut. George M. Martin; Corporal Samuel B. Hurd; Privates Fred. J. Bick, Duncan Highman, William N. Long, John J. Moore, Samuel N. Rhynard, James Snyder, William R. Bowman, Sylvanus Ullum, Anthony Wheeler. Company C. Capt. Nat. J. Manning; Privates Joseph Dixon, Francis Schon-hart, Jesse W. Campbell, Marion T. Thornbury, James B. Henthorn. Company E. Capt. John T. Wood; Sergts. Alex. Pemberton, Vincent Carroll; Privates William R. Stump, William Tt. Taylor, Bennager Odell, Richard D. Phelps, Abednego Stephens, Henry Smuck, Lewis Zeigler, Samuel H. Deselms, James Bacon, Samuel Edgar, Frederick Schultz, Peter Molyett, Thomas Howell. Compony F. Corporal Edward Barrett; Privates James Conway, James Saunders, Hugh Wilson, David Williams. Company G. Lieut. John H. Milliman; Sergt. Andrew D. Stewart, Adolphus Meyer, Thomas Cuthbertson, William Miller, Joseph Dyerman, Oliver C. Longmore. Company H. Sergts. John Milton, James B. Hyler; Corporal John S. Dunn; Privates Levi McLaughlin, Newton Livezey, John Gellespie, Michael Danforth. Company I. Sergts. Samuel J. Brooks, Jacob L. Barnett, John H. Johnson; Corporals Joseph F Cunningham, Samuel G. Shirk, Zachariah Dailey, John M. Rhodes; Privates James E. Bigford, Samuel T. Calland, William Gant, Lorenzo D. Hill, Archeleus Lingo, Stephen Loveall, Henson True, Archeleus Wiley, William F. Wiley, Harrison Shaw, Isaac M. Harper. Company K. Sergt. G. H. Palmer; Corporal Reuben Drippard; Privates Charles Oeckel, Christ. Evans, Charles T. Melhollen, Charles Chollette, Charles H. Conger.

Many of the missing were killed or afterwards died of wounds.

On the afternoon of July 5th the Regiment, with its division, left Gettysburg in pursuit of the rebels, and marched through Emmettsburg, Frederick City, Middletown, Boonsboro and Hagerstown. At the latter city the division supported General Kilpatrick's cavalry, in a lively skirmish, driving the rebel cavalry and infantry through Hagerstown to their main army.

From Hagerstown the Regiment marched to Williamsport, and from thence via Hagerstown to Berlin, where it crossed the Potomac on the 19th day of July, and reached Warrenton Junction on the 25th, having marched 160 miles since leaving Gettysburg.

Transferred to the Department of the South-Veteran Organization-Return of the Old Mags to Governor Brough

The Regiment remained in camp at Warrenton and vicinity until August 6th, when, with its division, then under command of General Gordon, it was placed en route for the Department of the South, and was disembarked at Pawnee Landing, Folly Island, South Carolina, the Regiment then numbering seventy-two men, and commanded by Lieut. John H. Milliman.

The brigade, once more under General Ames, was placed in the entrenchments on Morris Island, and took part in the siege of Fort Wagner. After that fort was captured, the brigade was moved to a healthy location on Folly Island, and permitted to take the rest it so much needed.

The Regiment was rapidly recruited, many men having recovered from wounds received at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg rejoining their companies, and some new recruits were received. Captain Haughton returned on the 20th of August and took command of the Regiment, being very soon after promoted to major. Captains Wood, Manning and Randall, having partially recovered from wounds, rejoined the Regiment about the same time; but the gallant and genial Lieutenant Martin lost his right arm with his fourth wound, and was honorably discharged.

On the first of January, 1864, the Regiment re-enlisted as a veteran regiment. The original term of service would have retarded its muster-out until June 14th; but the patriotism which induced the men to enlist early in the war had not been dimmed by hard and continuous service. Indeed, several were rejected by the rigorous medical examination on account of wounds having been received, which would have incapacitated them from another severe term of service.

The members of the Regiment who did not re-enlist were to be transferred temporarily to some other Ohio regiment serving in the department.

At the time considerable ill-feeling was manifested towards those who chose to serve out their original term of service before again enlisting. But want of patriotism could not properly be charged against those who had served faithfully nearly three years, and many of whom had received wounds in their country's service, because they wanted a longer rest than the thirty days veteran furlough. Indeed the majority of them afterwards reenlisted in the Regiment, and others in regiments organized in Ohio before the close of the rebellion.

Before the Regiment left on its veteran furlough, some trouble arose regarding the terms of the re-enlistment. The distinct understanding between the Government and the officers and men of the Regiment was, that the latter should leave the department as a regimental organization, with its flags. After the muster-in was completed, the department commander issued an order for one-half of the Regiment to leave on furlough at a time, the organization to be retained in the department. Such an infamous violation of the agreement was received with surprise and anger. Major Haughton rode immediately to headquarters, and finding the muster-rolls still lying upon the table, seized them and, stepping to the fireplace, was upon the point of throwing them into the fire, when the department commander and mustering officer came into the room. In a few words he told them of the disreputable breaking of the agreement, and insisted that, if the Government could not keep faith with its soldiers, he wanted nothing to do with it, and would burn the papers. He left headquarters with transportation for the entire Regiment, and on the morning of the l0th of January it left its old camp, and was escorted to the landing, three miles distant, by the 17th Connecticut, as fine and brave a regiment as there was in service, and between which and the 25th the utmost harmony and good feeling always existed.

After friendly greetings were exchanged between the two regiments, the 25th was embarked on the Mayflower, and at 2 o'clock p. M. left the dock, giving a farewell cheer to the 17th, which was heartily returned.

The Regiment arrived at Hilton Head on the morning of the 16th of January, and on the 17th the baggage and men were transferred to the Cambria, and at 4 o'clock on the same afternoon left the harbor of Hilton Head for New York city.

The passage was a stormy and dangerous one, and but for the admirable sea-going qualities of the ship, and the efficiency of its courteous commander, Cap-tain Sumner, we would have been lost off Hatteras. We reached New York, in a badly shattered condition, on Thursday evening, January 21st. On the next day we crossed to Jersey City, and on the same day took a special train on the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad for Cleveland, Ohio, where Major Haughton was ordered to halt the Regiment.

The ride on the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad is a pleasant reminiscence in the history of the Regiment. Everything possible was done to insure comfort, and at the McHenry House, in Meadville, a sumptuous and free dinner was provided for the entire Regiment.

The splendid treatment received in Pennsylvania prepared the Regiment for a hospitable reception in Cleveland; but the men were too sanguine, and either over-estimated the loyal impulses of its people, or they were poorly represented by the men in power.

The train was stopped some distance from the depot, and the Regiment disembarked in mud nearly knee deep. A staff officer of Colonel Center came to the train after some time, and informed Major Haughton that good quarters had been prepared at the rendezvous camp, but a short distance from there. With hopes somewhat revived, the Regiment waded through the slush and mud into the dismal camp where the "good quarters" were, and found a few miserably dirty cabins, which had been used as depositories for filth of all kinds by occupants of other quarters near by. There were no stoves, no fire-places, no wood and no rations. We had nothing with us to eat, and had tasted nothing since the late breakfast, or early dinner, at Meadville. The night was bitterly cold, to add to the discomfort.

Captain Sanford, of the 128th Ohio, himself a resident of Cleveland, came to see us, and expressed surprise and regret at such treatment, condemning it in the strongest terms. He said that the services of his regiment had been tendered Colonel Center, to assist in preparing quarters for us, and to receive the Regiment in a proper and cordial manner; but that officer (who, by the way, was only a political parasite of Governor Brough, and never saw any service in the field) pompously refused the offer, stating that he, as commanding officer of the camp, had made suitable provision for the reception and care of the Regiment.

Captain Sanford volunteered his services to pilot us to the Cleveland Grays' armory, where by his and Colonel Hayward's influence good quarters were provided, and also an excellent supper at the principal hotels in the city. After the men had been provided for, the regimental officers were invited to Richards' restaurant, where a game supper awaited them, with a bountiful supply of champagne to wash it down. These two gentlemen were indefatigable in their efforts to sustain the hospitable character of the city, and succeeded admirably.

The next day was rather more pleasant, and the Regiment returned to camp, where, after a hard day's work at cleaning up, passable quarters were secured.

On the 3d of February the Regiment was paid off and furloughed, with orders to report at Camp Chase, Ohio, in thirty days.

The following is the roster of the Regiment upon its veteran organization:

Colonel-Wm. P. Richardson, commanding Camp Chase, Ohio.
Lieut. Colonel-Jere. Williams, prisoner in Libby prison.
Major-Nathaniel Haughton, com'd'g Regiment.
Surgeon-Louis G. Meyer.
Asst. Surgeon -Wm. Walton.
Adjutant-Edward C. Gulp.
Quartermaster-David R. Hunt.
Sergeant Major - Hezekiah Thomas. Hospital Steward-Oliver "W". Williams. Com. Sergeant-Joseph C. Coulter. Q. M. Sergeant-Phineas Gano. Prin.
Musician-Benjamin F. Gillmore.

First Lieut., Israel White; Second Lieut, Wm. P. Bloor.
Sergeants: Burget McConnaughy, Samuel P. Stewart, Thomas II. Ferrel.
Corporals: Thomas W. Fowler, Wm. H. Criswell, Michael Murray, Geo. W. Iden, John McKirahan.
Musician, Geo. W. Mc Bride.
Artificer, Henry Lambert.
Privates: Joseph Acres, Alexander Barrett, Andrew J. Beall, Joshua Burkhead, Daniel J. Crooks, John Conway, Theo. II. Carter, Robert M. Fulton, Andrew Fulton, Charles Hoober, James Justus, John W. Kent, Joseph S. Kinney, John McConnell, Thos. Mc Bride, Emanuel L. Riley, Levi Ryan, Ignatius Tillett, Simon L. Vorheis, John Wyer.

Sergeant, James A. Driggs.
Corporals: John O. Archbold, Garwoocl P. Lacey, Samuel Prescott, John H. Twaddle.
Privates: Isaac Beaver, Thomas Cain, John C. Duff, Augustus Fierhelder, John M. Hinds, Patrick L. Hamilton, Ralph T. Jeffrey, Wm. M. Lowther, Wm. N. Long, Newton Mercer, Samuel Rhynard, Sylvanus Ullum.

Captain, Nathaniel J. Manning.
Sergeants, Samuel T. Hutchinson, Uriah Province.
Privates: Wm. H. Batton, Benoni Bennett, Albert J. Cavanaugh, Wm. Fallan, George W. Henderson, James B. Henthorn, Jeremiah Hicks, John Hull, Isaac Johnson, Jacob H. Loveall, Isaiah Masters, John Walton, Peter Yoho.

Captain, John T. Wood.
Second Lieut, Geo. N. Holcomb.
Sergeants, Elisha Biggerstaff, Oliver P. Hershey.
Corporate: Fred. Halderman, Wm. R. Stump, Thomas Howell.
Wagoner, Joseph Hess.
Privates: Henry Barnup, James Bacon, Howard Cannon, Samuel H. Deselmns, Frederick Gillyer, Harvey N. Hall, Richard Kinney, John Leary, Peter Molyett, Wm. Mackey, Peter Miller, Hiram Odell, Richard Phelps, Alfred F. Stump, Fred Schultz, Edward J. Teeple.

First Lieut, Edward C. Culp; Second Lieut., Joseph H. Hollis.
First Sergeant, Solomon Ebersole; Sergeants, John H. S. Sanders, John H. Viete.
Corporal, Florence Ariman.
Musicians, B. F. Crabill, Samuel M. Forrester.
Privates: John Brownlee, Israel Brown, Geo. W. Cooper, James Con way, Samuel Crawford, Thomas Evans, Thomas Long, Israel Miller, Stephen Point, John Pool, John Sorrels, Wm. F. Shannon, John Tucker, Hugh Wilson.

Captain, Carrington E. Randall.
First Sergeant, John P.Livinsparger; Sergeant, Wm. F. Kyle.
Corporals: Francis A. Lumbar, James F. Williams, Isaac Troxell.
Privates: Eli F. Beard, Wm. Burgess, George Bare, John Cline, Joseph Dyerman, Richard Farmer, Geo. W. Griling, Leonard W. Gaddis, John R. Hill, Elijah S. Karns, Jacob Lips, Oliver O. Longmore, Ephraim H. Lewis, Adolphus Meyer, Thomas J. Meyers, John G. Sparks, John Steel, Charles Silcox, Matthew Teach.

Second Lieut., Wm. Maloney.
First Sergeant, Wm. L. Fouts; Sergeants, John S. Dunn, Geo. S. Clements, Thos. J. Barclay.
Corporals: Eli Pyle, Theodore Timberlake, John Gellespie, Wm. Barrel Musician, Wm. W. Fogle.
Privates: David A. Craig, Jesse M. Davis, Jefferson Fonts, Wm. Gellespie, John W. Grier, John Hiatt, Blair Kincaid, Levi McLaughlin, Silas Noland, James A. Roland, Henry H. Sutton, Thomas B. Sheets, Wm. Work.

First Lieut., Isaac M. Kirk; Second Lieut., Sam. W. Houston.
First Sergeant, John S. Snyder; Sergeant, Samuel J. Brooks.
Corporals: Samuel G. Shirk, Jehu M. Rhodes, Joseph H. Wilson, Zachariah Dailey, John M. Bunting, Kins. Davis, Wm. H. Shaw.
Privates: Benjamin Barlow, Thomas H. Bunting, Wm. C. Barlow, Wm. H. Beymer, Charles A. Baker, James W. Calvert, Samuel T. Callin, Elisha Dunn, George M. Dobbins, Reuben E. Gant, Hollis Hutchins, Noah H. Lindsey, Archeleus Lingo, James W. McWilliams, James N. McBride, Joseph B. Oliver, John S. Rhodes, Seneca C. Rodgers, Harrison Shaw, Wm. S. Smith. McDonald Thorla, Isaac Wilson, Wm. F. Wiley, Arthur Wharton.

First Lieut, John H. Milliman. First Sergeant, Wm. P. Scott; Sergeant, Peter Triquart Corporals, August Knack, James R. Smith. Wagoner, Austin Haughton.
Privates: John Baker, Charles A. Debolt, Sumner B. Felt, George S. Frazier, James W. Hall, Clark Kelley, Morrison Lewis, Deville Kelson, Thomas O'Neil, Charles A. Smith, Henry J. Willing.

Most of the Regiment was in camp on the 5th of March, and orders had already been received to proceed to South Carolina, which was a great disappointment to the men, as they had become disgusted with the red-tape ideas of the Department of the South, and wished to try their fortunes again in the old Army of the Potomac.

It was not until the 15th of March that the Regiment became perfectly organized, as many new recruits had joined, and one entire company from Norwalk and Toledo. It was assigned as Company B, and the following is the roster of the company as mustered into service:

Captain, Luther B. Mesnard.
First Lieut, Charles W. Ferguson; Second Lieut., Alexander Mattison.
First Sergeant, Ethan W. Guthrie; Sergeants: David McGuckin, James McGuckin, B. Volney Howard.
Corporals: Moses D. Grandy, Lorenzo D. Haley, Benjamin F. Welch, Leander Taber, Dwight K. Smith, Theodore S. Williams, Henry Benson.
Musician, Quimby Batdorf.
Wagoner, Bristol Haughton
Privates: George W. Smith, Charles H. Hastings, Samuel A. Wildman, Darius H. Odell, George Burke, Clayton T. Danforth, Wm. Holman, Ira B. Sturges, Lafayette Curtis, Sewel C. Briggs, D. "W". Angel, Charles Andrews, Benjamin Benson, George Benson, Charles R. Benson, William Benson, Martin Brown, Charles R. Bailey, Reuben Bemis, John Bowers, Joseph Barat, Wm. H. Cleveland, Victor Catlin, Wm. H. Coit, Noah Chriestleib, Gaylord Cowles, David Cunningham, Levi H. Derby, Edmund C. Davis, Oscar Easterbrook, John Foughty, David K. Gauff, Andrew J. Goodell, John II. Green, Jacob Hunt, Wm. Howard, Joel Hadley, Geo. Hastings, Gideon M. Jones, Gideon Kellogg, Franklin Keith, Edward Kelley, Porter Knight, James R. Knight, David Kinney, Geo. Lindeman, Albert Lockhart, Eugene Marsh, Hardin D. Marsh, Chas. McGuckin, John McLaughlin, Wm. R. Norton, Michael R. Newton, Gilbert Osborn, Geo. Osborn, John Perdu, Enoch Porter, Geo. W. Plummer, Jeremiah O'Ragan, Isaac Reckner, Lowel Reese, Peter Roberts, Hiram S. Shuman, Nelson Shutt, Abram Starkey, John W. Starkey, Joseph Skinner, George Stevens, Nathan Sturges, Edward Stebbins, Edward Soper, Geo. W. Tanksley, Levi Whitman, John Wahl, Joseph N. Watros, John Wheeler, Elijah C. Walsworth.

On the morning of the 16th of March, 1864, the old flags of the Regiment, that had passed through the fiery ordeal of twenty battles, and under whose folds eighteen color bearers had been killed or wounded, were presented by Col. Richardson to Governor Brough, to be placed in the flag room of the State capitol. In return the Governor presented the Regiment with a beautiful stand of colors for future service in the field.


 ©Genealogy Trails