of Seaman, Adams County, Ohio, is one of the most progressive and successful farmers of Scott Township. He is a man whose excellent judgment, strong common sense and good business qualities are recognized by all. He comes of an old and prominent Pennsylvania family, and was born in that State on the second of October, 1831. His father, David Allison, as well as his mother, whose maiden name was Lucette Andre McKibben, were natives of Pennsylvania. They reared eight children, five sons and three daughters, of whom our subject was the third. David Allison was a farmer all his life and lived to a ripe old age.
James Allison received his early education in the district school in the primitive school building at Cedar Springs, Clinton County, Pennsylvania. He early turned his attention to farming which he had determined should be his life work, and ever since, he has been active and energetic in this occupation, except two years in which he was engaged in the mercantile business.
On October 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, as a Private, and was afterwards promoted to Second Sergeant of his company, and in May, 1862, was promoted to First Lieutenant. He served with distinction and participated in the battles of Lebanon, Tennessee, and of Stone River, at Murfreesboro. In the latter battle in the cavalry, his horse fell and disabled him so he was sent to the hospital, and while there, was stricken with typhoid pneumonia, and as a consequence, was discharged for disability, May 3, 1863. In one of the charges made by his regiment there was captured a Confederate flag, which Mr. Allison obtained and keeps as a trophy.
He has always been a Republican in his political views, but has never sought or held any office, either in township or county. He is an earnest thinker, however, on political questions, a strong advocate of advanced political thought, and is alive to the interests and welfare of his county and community.
On the twenty-eighth of November, 1865, he was married to Miss Sarah E. McDowell, of Centre County, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Allison is a woman of many fine qualities and ably performs her duties as wife and mother. She is an earnest, consistent, Christian woman, and a faithful worker in the Presbyterian Church of Seaman. She was born in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, January 19, 1845, the second daughter of P. W. and Kathrene McDowell, the latter of whom died November 5, 1897, at the age of seventy-eight. Her father is living and well at the age of eighty-two, is active and energetic, an old-fashioned Jacksonian Democrat and one of Central Pennsylvania's most substantial citizens.
Mr. and Mrs. Allison resided in Pennsylvania for three years after their marriage, and then removed to Adams County in 1869, where he purchased a farm on the West Fork of Brush Creek in Scott Township, which is the very best in the township. It is bountifully supplied with running water and everything about the place indicates that the owner is a man of enterprise and progress. They lived on this farm from 1869 until 1896, when they purchased a home in the village of Seaman, which they remodeled and beautified and reside there in great comfort. Mr. Allison owns another farm of one hundred and eighty acres in Oliver Township. Their children are Kate Conley, wife of Dr. John S. Montgomery, of Huntsville, Logan County, Ohio; David M., who is in the hardware and implement business at Seaman, a very industrious and energetic young man; Nettie Andre, wife of Oscar McCreight. They reside on the home farm. Mrs. Montgomery has two sons, Willard Allison, and John McDowell. Mr. Allison is highly esteemed in the community and is honored and respected by all. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Rev. Eli Purchas Adams
born June 24, 1814, in Washington County, is a son of Isaac and Dorcas Adams. He graduated at Marietta College in 1842. For two years after this he engaged in teaching school. In 1844, he entered Lane Seminary, then under the presidency of Rev. Lyman Beecher. He studied here two years, but was unable to complete his course on account of poor health. In 1846, he went to Helena, Kentucky, fifteen miles from Maysville, and taught a school there until 1859. On July 2, 1846, he was married to Martha Slack, daughter of Col. Jacob Slack, of Mason County, Ky. He had two children of this marriage, one died August 20, 1853, and its mother ten days later. The remaining child died January 15, 1858. He was ordained by Harmony Presbytery in Kentucky in 1853. On March 19, 1856, he was married to Miss Lucy A. Bartlett, of Marietta, Ohio, the daughter of a prominent Congregational minister, a lady eminently fitted for the difficult position of a minister's wife. Of this marriage there were eight children, six sons and two daughters. One son, William N., died in childhood. The others are living. Francis Bartlett Adams is a druggist in Perry, Rolls County, Mo., and Isaac Watts Adams is a farmer in the same place. Gilbert Purchas Adams is a fanner near Vanceburg, Ky., and Charles Baird Adams, a physician at the same place. Elizabeth Loughry Adams, a daughter, was a teacher at Vanceburg, Ky. She was married November 5, 1896, to Scott McGovney Foster, of Sandy Springs, Adams County. Alfred Hamilton Adams, a son, lost both his feet alighting from a freight train. Rev. Adams' daughter, Margaret Alice, lived until June 6, 1886, when she was drowned in the Ohio River by falling from a steamboat. She was then in her twenty-eighth year. She had a lovely Christian character and was her father's right hand in church and Sabbath school work. She had been a teacher of music for several years and was most highly esteemed by all who knew her.
In May, 1859, Rev. Adams was called to the churches of Rome and Sandy Springs. Here his life work was done. He was pastor of these churches until 1873, when he was called to Hanging Rock for two years, and for three years he resided on his farm below Vanceburg, Ky. He returned to Sandy Springs in 1878 and continued his work there until 1895 when the infirmities of age compelled him to retire. In January, 1899, he was taken with what proved to be his last illness. He survived till March 15, 1899, when he passed away in peace. He realized that this sickness was his last. He said his work was done and only regretted that it was not better done. His faith was firm and his hope assured. He was beyond all troubles and his last hours were in the Peace of God. His life had been one of trial and privation, of many disappointments, and of much affliction and sorrow, but in the midst of all of them, his Christian virtues shone out with a resplendence which called forth the admiration of all who knew him. The memory of his labors should be preserved to all who follow him, and while remembered, will be a Beacon Light pointing to the Savior of Men as his Guide and Master.
One who was his pupil for two and a half years, and who is a man well advanced in life, says of him that he had a fine tact for instructing others, occupied the first rank as an educator, and as the principal of an academy of Kentucky, did much to fit young persons for a college course and impress his own well rounded Christian character upon their minds.
A clergyman who knew him, says he was of a quiet and retiring disposition, but under pressure of duty and in behalf of right, was persistent and unflinching. He was a Christian man, well versed in the Bible. His piety was scriptural, enlightened and stable. His life was pure and honest, characterized by uniform gentleness and kindness. As a preacher, he was thoroughly orthodox and his sermons were instructive. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Irwin M. Anderson
a resident of Clyde, Ohio, was born August 7, 1845, at West Union. His father was James Anderson, who has a separate sketch herein. Irwin Anderson went to school at West Union in the old stone schoolhouse which stood where the house occupied by John Knox now stands.
In June, 1863, he enlisted in Company G, 129th O. V. I., and served until the eighth of March following. He enlisted August 25, 1864, in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and was mustered out with the company, July 1, 1865. In both services he was in the campaigns about East Tennessee. He was in the affair at Cumberland Gap on September 9, 1863; in Burnside's campaign against Longstreet that fall and winter. He was engaged in the siege of Knoxville in the Fall of 1864, and was in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee; Pulaski, Tennessee; Plantersville and Selma, Alabama, in 1865. After the war was over, he went to school in Xenia, Ohio, in 1865 and 1866. He then located in Mexico, Missouri, and was in the west and southwest from 1866 to 1870. In the latter year, he located in Camden, Ohio. He was married October 14, 1873, to Miss Emma J. Smith, of Oxford, Ohio. He resided there until 1877. In that year, he located in Mansfield, Ohio, and worked for the Aultman-Taylor Company. He resided in Marion from 1880 to 1883, when he located in Clyde, Ohio, which has since been his home. His wife died May 10, 1895. He has six children, five sons and a daughter. His son, Carl J., is an artist in Springfield, Ohio, and illustrates the "Woman's Home Companion." His daughter, Stella, lives in Chicago with her brothers. Sherwood is a bookkeeper in Chicago, as is his son Irwin. His son, Ray, is a student, and his son, Earl, is in an art school there. They all reside at No. 1036 Adams Street, and the sister keeps house for them.
Mr. Anderson takes a great interest in army organizations. For four years he has been engaged in preparing entertainments for various Grand Army Posts. He possesses considerable dramatic talent, and has been very successful in his work. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Carey C. Alexander
of Eckmansville, was born on the farm where he now resides, June 1, 1852. His father was Samuel Alexander, a son of James Alexander, a native of Fincastle, Virginia, who first came to Lexington, Kentucky, in the early days and afterwards to Adams County. He married Mary John, a member of an old Virginia family. James Alexander was born June 22, 1791, and died March 3, 1871. His wife was born January 10, 1792, and died March 12, 1852. Their son, Samuel, was born in Virginia, April 3, 1815, and came to Adams County with his parents making the trip overland in wagons. He married Miss Elizabeth Robe daughter of David Robe, of Scotch ancestry, of Hills Fork. She was born February 14, 1819.
Carey C. Alexander was reared on a farm, but having a natural talent for music has given much time to the cultivation of that faculty. He has taught vocal and instrumental music for many years with great success. He is particularly successful as a bandmaster and leader of choirs. He married Miss Mary Allison, a daughter of John Allison, of Cherry Fork, February 26, 1877. Their children inherit musical talent, and with their father maintain a fine orchestra. They are Roscoe, Bessie, Ralph, Florence, Charles, Delbert and Lester.
Mr. Alexander is a member of the Presbyterian Church and an elder in that organization. He is Sunday school superintendent and choir leader at Eckmansville. He is also a member of Sunbeam Lodge, No. 631, K. of P., at Cherry Fork. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Col. James Arbuthnot
was born at Greenfield, Ohio, September 3, 1841. He served seventeen months as an enlisted man in Company E, 91st O. V. I. He was made Second Lieutenant of the 19th U. S. Infantry, December 18, 1863, and was afterwards promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant of his regiment. He was badly wounded at the battle of the "Mine" in front of Petersburg, Virginia, July 30, 1864. He resigned January 23, 1866, and at once moved to Brookfield, Missouri, and engaged in farming. He studied law in the office of Judge W. H. Bromler and Hon. S. P. Huston, of Brookfield, Missouri, and since his admission has been engaged in the practice of his profession except from 1883 to 1885, when he was postmaster at Brookfield. He was elected Representative from Linn County, in the Thirty-fourth General Assembly of Missouri in 1866 as a Republican when the county was strongly Democratic. He served three terms as City Attorney of Brookfield, at the time the city was establishing electric lights and waterworks. In 1882, he organized a company of National Guards at Brookfield, Missouri, and was Captain for several years. His company competed in a number of prize drills and never failed to take the prize.
In 1891, in the organization of the Fourth Regiment of Missouri National Guards, he was elected Colonel and held that position until he resigned. The regiment he organized went into the service of the United States during the Spanish War.
On the third of July, 1867, he was married to Sarah E. Beemer. He has been for thirty-two years a member of the Presbyterian Church at Brookfield, Missouri, in which his wife and five children are all members.
He is an intelligent and high-minded man of unusual attainments and breadth of knowledge. He has taken, and takes, an active interest in public affairs and is a walking encyclopedia of political and military information. He was the most perfect type of an officer and soldier in the Civil War. He was never known to use an improper or profane word. He was always ready for any emergency. In the presence of the enemy, he was as brave as the best soldier or officer who ever adorned the pages of history. With the battle once over, he was as tender and sympathetic with the wounded, friend or foe, as any woman. He was honorable in all his dealings with his fellow officers and scorned all intrigues and subterfuges so common in the army. He never failed in the performance of any duty assigned to him. He was gallant, brave and honorable, with emphasis on all the terms. The qualities of his soul were tested severely and many times in his army service and the qualities ascribed to him always appeared. As he was in the army, so he has been ever since, and the people of Adams County can always feel proud of the life record Colonel Arbuthnot has made. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
farmer, of Locust Grove, was born December 23, 1833, near Locust Grove, in Adams County, Ohio, the son of Josephus Arnold and Kate Pemberton, his wife. Josephus Arnold was born in 1788, on Long Island, in the state of New York. He learned the trade of shoemaking. He was in the War of 1812, having enlisted from New York City. He served there, and directly after the war came to Adams County. He married Kate Pemberton on July 16, 1828, the daughter of William Pemberton, who was born in 1750, in Culpeper County, Virginia. Josephus Arnold and wife had three children, Ezekiel and Mansfield, sons, and Indiana, a daughter, all of whom are living at or near Locust Grove. Ezekiel, our subject, was born December 23, 1833, near Locust Grove, and has resided there ever since. His mother was born January 10, 1795, and died September 30, 1889.
He attended the common schools, and was trained to be a farmer, which occupation he has followed all his life. His father, Josephus Arnold, died on April 10, 1858, at the age of sixty-nine years. On August 30, 1862, our subject enlisted, at the age of thirty, in Company E, 117th O. V. I., Captain James A. Murphy, and served until the twentieth of July, 1865. June 10, 1885. he was married to Miss Mary Tarlton, and has two sons, Josephus A., aged eleven years, and Jehu, aged nine years. His first wife died and he married Miss Cynthia Garmon, June 10, 1896. She was born June 5. 1859. Mr. Arnold has a tasteful and pleasant home in Locust Grove. He takes great pride in the fact that he was a soldier of the Civil War; also, that his father was in the War of 1812; but most of all that his grandfather, William Pemberton, was in the War of the Revolution. The latter was born in 1750, in Culpeper County, Virginia, on Stanton River. He served in the Revolutionary War in Captain Thomas Meriwether's Company, First Virginia State Regiment, Colonel George Gibson. He enlisted in September, 1777, for three years, and was at the siege of Yorktown, where he had part of an ear shot away by a shell. He was a successful hunter and farmer. He married Rhoda Luck, born October 24, 1755, and had a family of nine children, five sons and four daughters. His sons were William, Nathaniel, Fountain, James, and Ezekiel. His daughters were Anna, married Thomas Murfin; Joyce, married Isaac East; and Kate, born January 10, 1795, married Josephus Arnold.
William Pemberton came to Kentucky just at the time of the Indian massacre at Crab Orchard, and reached Boonesboro the next day after that event. Kate Pemberton was then a small girl, but remembered seeing the bodies of the victims of the massacre. Her father remained at Boonesboro nearly two years. In that time he was lost in the forest for several days. He shot and wounded a buffalo and it rushed at him. His dog seized it by the nose and saved Pemberton's life, but the dog lost his. Pemberton killed the buffalo and subsisted on its meat for several days. His friends had given him up as killed or captured by Indians. He returned to Virginia, but soon came back to Ohio and settled in Adams County, near Locust Grove, in 1808. He died, about 1823, of rheumatism. He is interred on the farm where Miss Indiana Arnold now resides. The spot is known, and will soon have a suitable mark. His wife died January 1, 1845, at the age of ninety, and is buried beside her husband. A prominent characteristic of Mr. Arnold is his industry and frugality. He made his start in life by traveling and selling clocks. He is the owner of about eight hundred acres of land, and has acquired a competence. He is noted for his integrity, and for living up to any obligations which he may assume. He is a free thinker of the Robert Ingersoll school. He is a Republican and a good citizen. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
John Bratton Allison
is a native of Meigs Township, in Adams County. He was born March 30, 1837. His father was Samuel Allison, a native of Hancock County, Pennsylvania. He came to Carmel, in Highland County, and located there. His mother was Elizabeth Bratton, a sister of John Bratton, for whom Bratton Township was named. Her father, Jacob Bratton, was one of the first settlers of Adams County. His widow, Elizabeth, died April 19, 1836, in the ninety-fourth year of her age. Samuel Allison had six children: one son, our subject, and five daughters, who lived to maturity. Two children died in infancy. R. H. W. Peterson married Elizabeth Allison, the youngest one of the daughters. Dick Thompson married Mary Jane, another daughter; and Susan, the third daughter, married Joseph Andrews. Angeline, the second daughter, married Jacob Ogle, of Illinois. Evaline, the eldest daughter, married Jeremiah M. ?iblis, and moved to Missouri in 1852.
Our subject received a common school education, and none other. In 1840. he began to learn the tanner's trade with Townshend Enos Reed, and remained with him until March, 1855, at Marble Furnace. In 1855, he went upon the farm which he now owns and on which he now lives, and worked for his uncle, John Bratton, who then owned the farm, as a hand at thirteen dollars per month, until 1859. In that year on November 3, he married Miss Hannah S. Hughes, daughter of Peter Hughes, and continued to reside on the farm of his uncle, John Bratton. In 1876 he purchased the farm, 260 acres of the estate of John Bratton, for $6,860, and has resided there ever since. From 1859 to 1876, he had the farm rented.
There have been three sons of this marriage. John F., the eldest, attended the St. Louis University in 1878 and 1879. He afterwards engaged in the hardware business at Hillsboro from 1888 to 1892. Since the latter date he has been a farmer in Hardin County, Ohio. He married Miss Lizzie Kennedy, of New York. Charles C, the second son, graduated in the college course in St. Mary's school, in Kansas City, in 1884, and taught in the vicinity of his home for two years. 'He read medicine with Dr. Berry, at Locust Grove, who pronounced him one of the best students he had ever known. He graduated from the Louisville Medical College in 1888, with highest honors. He won several medals, notably the gold medal in surgery. He took a post-graduate course at the Bellevue Medical College. He then took employment on the steamer Obdam, plying between New York and Amsterdam, and made several voyages. He, however, resigned this in a short time, and located as a physician and surgeon at Omaha, and has attained a high position in his profession. He fills two chairs at the Omaha Medical College; he also has a chair and is a lecturer at Creighton Medical College. He has had charge of the Presbyterian Hospital there; and has been connected with St. Joseph's Hospital, in the same place. He married Miss Catharine Creighton and is now one of the leading physicians and surgeons in Nebraska.
James B., the third son, graduated at St. Mary's School, in Kansas City, in 1888; after that, he was in the clothing business in Hillsboro from 1889 to 1891. In the latter year, he went to Helena, Montana, and engaged in the same business. While here, he acted as Deputy United States Marshal part of the time; and on one occasion took seven Chinese prisoners to California. He settled in the year 1894 at Chinook, Montana, and from there went to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he now resides and is engaged in the mercantile business. He married Miss Mary Inglebrand, of Hillsboro.
Mr. Allison, our subject, was County Commissioner of Adams County from 1872 to 1875, during the famous county seat contest, and stood for West Union as against Manchester. He has been a township trustee and a school trustee for many years. He has one of the best cared for and most valuable farms in Adams County. It is a delight to look upon. Mr. Allison is a man agreeable to meet. He is very tall, with a large frame and commanding presence. He carries his years lightly, and looks several years younger that he is. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Isaac M. Ayers
This sturdy veteran who is approaching the seventy-ninth year of his age, possesses unusual energy for one of his years and is affectionately' regarded as one of the old landmarks of Rock Creek Township, Jefferson County, and one who has assisted largely in its growth and development. He was born in Eastern Maryland Feb. 22, 1811, and in 1813 was taken by his parents, John and Dorcas (Morris) Ayers to Brook County, that State. About two years later they made another removal to the vicinity of Wheeling, W. Va., and in 1819 they emigrated to Adams County, Ohio. In the Buckeye State, John Ayers farmed on rented land many years. Both he and his wife were born in Maryland. The former died in Ohio in 1832, and the latter followed her husband two years later, in 1834. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and died in that faith. Isaac M. Ayres was the fourth in their family of nine children. His maternal grandmother, Hannah Morris, was born in Virginia where she spent her entire life, dying at the advanced age of eighty years.
The subject of this sketch was married in Adams County, Ohio, Dec. 31, 1835, to Miss Hannah, daughter of John Hamlin, a native of that State.
Mr. Ayres farmed in Adams County until the spring of 1854 and then removing to Russellville worked at carpentering until the spring of 1857, when he decided to seek his fortunes west of the Mississippi. He made his way to Cincinnati by wagon and thence by a river boat to St. Louis, Mo. From there they traveled overland to Springfield. Mo., where they sojourned until the following October. Then getting ready once more his prairie schooner Mr. Ayers, with his wife and seven children and his household goods made his way to Kansas and spent the first year thereafter one mile north of the present site of Ozawkie. In the spring of 1859 he removed to the land which he now owns and occupies. This comprises 126 acres and when coming into the possession of Mr. Ayers there was upon it only a little log cabin. He had one neighbor about three-quarters of a mile south and another one and one-half miles west. The three families constituted the population of that neighborhood. The nearest markets were at Topeka and Valley Falls and sometimes the settlers hauled grain and hay to Leavenworth. The only piece of timber on the farm at that time, aside from what was used in the construction of the cabin, was a hickory rail fastened to one end of the cabin upon which Mr. Ayers hung his harness.
Notwithstanding the cheerless outlook Mr. Ayers began the improvement of his land, meeting with success in his labors. About 1862 he planted an orchard of apple and peach trees, having about fifty of the first mentioned and 330 of the latter. The farm is now all enclosed with good fencing and mostly under cultivation. In the meantime, in 1869, Mr. Ayers purchased lots and built in Topeka, taking up his residence there for three years. In the spring of 1872 he returned to his farm but in 1882 removed to North Topeka and engaged in the coal business, also buying property in Topeka.
Mr. Ayers when a youth of seventeen years connected himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church and for several years in Ohio officiated as Class-Leader. Upon his first removal to Topeka he joined the United Brethren Church, and also officiated there as Class-Leader, during the entire time of his residence. Upon going to North Topeka he resumed relations with the Methodist Episcopal Church of which his wife is also a member. She departed this life June 26, 1885, leaving six surviving children, viz: Alson T., James W., Sarilda, who was first married to a Mr. Pierce, by whom she became the mother of six children and who is now the wife of Louis Ankeny; Sarah, (Mrs. George Ready); Eliza, who was first married to Albert Deaver, and who then married James Mott; Armantha; and Mrs. Francis Mott. Two children died in infancy unnamed. Francis M. died when a promising youth of seventeen years, and Jenevery died at the age of fourteen.
On the 1st of September, 1887, Mr. Ayers contracted a second matrimonial alliance with Mrs. Amelia E. (Fisk) Bartlett. This lady was born in Connecticut, where she was reared and married to Charles N. Bartlett, a native of the same State. They came to Kansas in April, 1877, locating at Salina; later they removed to Clay County, then to Junction City and finally to Topeka. Of their union fourteen children were born, six of whom, all sons, died in infancy unnamed. The others are named respectively: Minnie M., Ruth A., Edith A., Susan F., Frederick H., Mary J., Willie M., and James Arthur. Mr. Bartlett died in Topeka Oct. 10, 1881. He was a member of the Baptist Church, with which he became identified in his native State.
The parents of Mrs. Ayers were Ira and Anna (Lillabridge) Fisk, both natives of Connecticut, where they spent their entire lives. Mr. Fisk died in February, 1877, at the age of sixty-nine years. Mrs. Fisk survived her husband almost five years, dying Dec. 6, 1881, at the age of seventy-four; she was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The maternal grandparents were Rufus and Irene (Scripture) Fisk, natives of Connecticut The Fisk family is of Irish origin, and was founded in America by three brothers who came from Ireland. The father of Mrs. Ayers was a second cousin of the father of Jim Fisk, who was killed in New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Ayers have an adopted son, Charles Bartlett, whom they have adopted by law. He is now (1890) three years old.
Mr. Ayers during the season of 1889 ploughed and cultivated forty acres of corn, besides doing other work on the farm. His coal business in Topeka is managed principally by his stepdaughter, Minnie M. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Jackson, Jefferson and Pottawatomie Counties, Kansas; Chapman Bros., Chicago 1890; JD, Sub by FoFG]