Samuel Turner Baldridge
was born February 17, 1824, in Wayne Township, Adams County, Ohio, and lived there all his life with the exception of a year and a half in Brown County. His father was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1783, and his mother, Mary McGary, was a daughter of William McGary, a Revolutionary soldier, and one of the first settlers of Adams County. He was married October 23, 1845, first, to Phoebe Patton, a daughter of Thomas Patton, a native of Rockbridge County, Virginia, who settled on the West Fork of Brush Creek. Of this marriage there were three children: Mrs. Mary J. Foutts, of Elsmere, Missouri; Thomas Albert, who died at the age of two years, and an infant. His first wife died August 3, 1850. He married for a second wife, in 1861, Sarah Russel. Her mother was a Puntenney, of Stout's Run. His son, Taylor R., is a well known physician and surgeon in Dayton. His second son, by his second marriage, Talma E., after having completed his studies as a physician and married, died suddenly in the year 1896.
Our subject has been an elder in the U. P. Church at Cherry Fork for thirty years and has been Clerk of Wayne Township for twenty-four years. He was a Free Soiler during the existence of that, party and afterwards a Republican. He died the eighth of June, A. D. 1899. Mr. Baldridge had taken quite an interest in this work and had anticipated much pleasure in its publication, but he was never to read its pages. Those who knew him best say that his passing was the beautiful completion of a finished work. His hold on this world was greatly loosened by the sorrow on account of the untimely death of his son, Talma. His life was a finished example of purity, fidelity and piety. He was a true friend, a wise counsellor, an unselfish man, and a noble citizen. He left a memory which his family, his church, and his community can reflect upon with pleasure and pride. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Em mons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
John W. Beach
John W. Beach, of Chetopa township, was born in Adams county, Ohio, May 4, 1853. His father was William Beach and his mother, before marriage, Margaret Campbell, both of whom were also natives of Adams county, Ohio, where their parents settled in early Indian days. Mr. Beach's paternal grandfather, John Beach, came from one of the New England states, and his maternal grandfather, Matthew Campbell, from the north of Ireland, the former descended of old Colonial stock, of Puritan faith, and the latter of Scotch-Irish antecedents, of Presbyterian faith. They were sturdy, self-reliant people, noted for their large physical mould, strong powers of endurance, clean, wholesome private lives, deep religious convictions and ardent patriotic sentiments. They were part of the vanguard of civilization who in the early days of our country drove back the Indians, felled the forests, opened up the farms and established in the haunts of the red men the arts and industries of civilized life. John Beach was a soldier in the second war with Great Britain (1812-15). William Beach, father of John W., was in the civil war, a member of the 94th Illinois volunteer infantry, with which he served in the Army of the Cumberland till his discharge from the same as a result of disability contracted in the service and from the effects of which he died in 1867. Our subject's mother died when he was an infant. John W. Beach was reared in the family of his paternal grandparents in his native county in Ohio till he was thirteen years old when they, moving to Crawford county, Illinois, his youth was passed in that county, in the schools of which he received the average educational advantages. On February 29, 1876, Mr. Beach married in McLean county, Illinois, Frances I. Smith, a native of that county and daughter of Joel and Mary (Warner) Smith, and settling on a farm was engaged in agricultural pursuits there some nine years. He then moved to Kansas, locating, October, 1885, in Chetopa township, Neosho county, where he bought what is known as the old Runyon place, it being the south-east quarter of section 16, township 29, range 18 east, on which he took up his residence and has there since lived. The place when it came into Mr. Beach's hands, was in the condition of most of the early day claims, practically unimproved and afforded him an excellent opportunity for the expenditure of all the energies of his young manhood. He entered on the task of building a home and surrounding himself with some of the comforts of life, and with great zeal and energy has succeeded to the extent of having one of the most valuable and attractive farmsteads in the township. The primitive shack of the earlier years has given place to a substantial two-story residence and the Kansas haysheds to a good barn and granaries, while the monotony of the landscape is relieved with orchard, shade and ornamental trees, the entire place enclosed with fence and properly cross-fenced. A sentence or two suffices to tell the story of the transformation, but they convey no adequate idea of the labor involved. Only those who have gone through the experiences of digging out of the virgin soil of a Kansas prairie and winning from the adverse forces of nature a home with all its equipments and appointments can know the magnitude of the undertaking, the toil, self-denial and heart-aches involved. This represents, in a great measure, Mr. Beach's accomplishments since coming to Kansas seventeen years ago. Along with it he has developed some character, and, as a citizen with the best interests of his neighborhood and county at heart has borne his full share of those labors which fall to the lot of all. His straight-forward business methods displayed in the conduct of his own affairs has commended him to his fellow citizens as one fit to be trusted with the transaction of public matters and he has in consequence held some sort of public office for more than half the time he has been in the county. For three years he was county commissioner, five years township trustee and is now serving his third year as township treasurer. A Republican in politics, he has affiliated actively with his party and given the ticket an earnest and effective support and has in turn been supported by those of his political faith where ever questions involving party principles were at issue, though in local matters the lines have not been very strictly drawn. Mr. Beach has a family of four sons and four daughters, some of whom are verging onto manhood and womanhood, but all except the oldest remain under the parental roof. These are Evan, Mabel, William, Raymond, Lena, Irl, Fay and Ava Margaret. He belongs to the Fraternal Aid Society, the Home Builders Union and the United Brethren church. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Jacob Newton Brown
son of James and Maria Brown, was born in Adams County, Ohio, on the banks of the Cherry Fork about two miles eastwardly from the town of North Liberty, on October 19, 1828.
He received a common school education and for a while taught in the county schools. He afterward embarked in the mercantile business in North Liberty in a small building adjoining the site now occupied by Kleinknecht Bros. In 1860 he erected the commodious building now occupied by this firm. He was doing business in this house during the Civil War and at the time when the Confederate General, John Morgan, and his troops passed through on their famous raid. They broke into his store, robbed and despoiled his goods, stole his horses, etc. He formed a partnership with Wm. McVey and after continuing same for several years, he sold his interest in the store and bought the North Liberty Flour Mills. He successfully operated these mills until 1876, when he exchanged them, together with his handsome brick residence and a farm lying northeast of the town, for a large tract of Arkansas land. He then became connected with the Southern Immigration business and as agent of the Little Rock & Ft. Smith R. R.. and afterward as Immigration Agent of the Cincinnati Southern R. R.. which place he held at the time of his death. In 1881, in connection with J. Frank, in Cincinnati, he established an office in Chattanooga, Tenn.. which he afterward sold to his son C. V. Brown and S. W. Divine, but retained his office in Cincinnati in connection with the Cincinnati Southern R. R. He was one of the pioneers in Southern Immigration work, and hundreds of Northern families now living in the South were located through his influence. He was indefatigable in his efforts to promote Southern immigration. He retained his residence at North Liberty until about 1883, when he removed his family to Cincinnati and there resided until his death, January 27, 1892. He was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church and a man of strong convictions, always on the side of right, and an upright and worthy citizen in every way.
In 1852, he married Sarah McCutcheon of near Manchester in this county and seven children were born to them, to-wit: Nancy J., now the wife of Dr. E. M. Gaston, of Tranquility; Maria M., wife of S. G. Glasgow, of North Liberty; Ella, wife of William Kennedy, living near Youngsville; Mary E., deceased; Ida V., wife of William Kleinknecht, of North Liberty, and C. V. and B. G. Brown, of Chattanooga, Tennessee. His widow, Sarah Brown, died in North Liberty on August 3, 1899.
Jacob N. Brown was in many respects a remarkable man, but the world never knew of it from him, and what he had achieved would never have been known except the writer of these lines discovered it in a business way. When Mr. Brown left North Liberty, he had a mountain of debt which he was carrying and of which the public or the world had no idea. To the world he was and had been a success, but to retrieve his losses, he went away from the home of his lifetime, went into a new and untried business and made large sums of money. He paid off his entire indebtedness with interest and died without the world ever knowing that he had almost been overtaken by financial disaster. There is not one man in a thousand who would have undertaken, and not one man in ten thousand who would have succeeded in paying the immense debt he owed, but he did it and the world never knew and has not known it until the publication of this book, and it would not now be made public but that the lesson of his life was most valuable and might encourage some one overwhelmed with adversity to bear it without murmuring and to conquer it with that power of will and tireless energy which overcomes all difficulties. Mr. Brown never knew that the writer was informed of his financial condition, but the writer knew why he left North Liberty and went elsewhere to work with that remarkable application which characterized him and the end he had in view, and therefore takes pleasure in making this tribute to his manly qualities. In all the years in which he was working to discharge his great debt, he supported and educated his large family, lived honorably in the world and took prompt care of every current obligation. In all that time, he never complained of or alluded to his burden, and to the world he was the same as if he had not owed a dollar and had thousands ahead. How many men can do that? How many men have done that? It is the aggregate of such lives as that of Jacob N. Brown which makes our people the most energetic on the face of the earth. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James W. Baldridge
merchant tailor, of Manchester, Ohio, and the subject of this sketch, is a descendant of pioneer ancestry in Adams County. The family name on the old records is Boldridge, and its members were here at the time of the organization of the county. Our subject was born August 12, 1857, in the village of Youngsville, Wayne Township. He is a son of William S., and a great-grandson of Rev. William Baldridge, the first pastor of the U. P. congregation at Cherry Fork. His mother is Margaret Jane Kane, a member of an old and respected family of the county. He spent his boyhood days on a farm and attended the District schools until his eighteenth year, when he studied at West Union and in the old academy at Cherry Fork. In 1880, he went to Jackson, Ohio, and there followed coal mining for two years. In 1882, he began working at his present trade, and in 1883 worked with the well known tailor, A. D. Kirk. He next worked at his trade in Kansas City, and then at Augusta, Ky. Returning to Cherry Fork in 1892, he remained a short time and then located at his present place in Manchester, where he has a flourishing business, his patrons being the best dressers of the town and surrounding country. December 12, 1891, he married Miss Mary Alexander, by whom he has three children, Ada, Roy and William. He is a Methodist and a Prohibitionist. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Moses Roush Brittingham
proprietor Hotel Britt, Manchester, was born near the old Campmeeting Grounds in Sprigg Township, September 11, 1837. He is a son of Purnel Brittingham and Mary Bryan, whose maiden name was Cartwright, a daughter of Rev. Andrew Cartwright, a celebrated divine in early days in Adams County. Purnel Brittingham was of Scotch descent, born 1782, and died in 1872. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. The subject of our sketch worked as a farm hand in Ross County, Ohio, in his youth, and in 1862, volunteered in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, Col. Israel Garrard, and served until the close of the war, taking part in every important battle in which his regiment engaged.
In 1859, he was married to Mary E. Trotter, daughter of James Trotter, of near West Union. After the war, he kept a small store at Killinstown, and in 1868 conducted a general store at Clayton, moving to Manchester in 1870, where for twenty years he has been in the hotel business. During this time he has handled live stock and produce, and for six seasons sold lightning rods throughout the country. He is at present interested in the buying and shipping of leaf tobacco.
In 1884, he was nominated on the Democratic ticket for the office of Sheriff of Adams County, but was defeated by a few votes through the treachery of some persons' who should have been his staunch supporters if fidelity to party and party principles count for aught. . By his energy and integrity he has acquired a competency to support himself and wife in their declining years. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
George Elmer Bratten, D. D. S.,
of Manchester, Ohio, was born April 18, 1873, at Edgerton, Williams County, Ohio. His father was John A. Bratten, and his mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Shambaugh. His grandfather, John Bratten, came from Westmoreland County. Pennsylvania. He removed to Edgerton and was one of the pioneers of Williams County. His great-grandfather, Robert Bratten. was a native of England. His father, John U. Bratten, was a private soldier in Company A, 38th O. V. I. He enlisted August 26, 1861, and served until September 13, 1864.
Our subject attended the District school at Edgerton, and graduated in the High School there in 1892. He taught school for four Winter terms in Williams County, and in the same period attended the Ohio Normal University at Ada for two years. In May, 1894, he began the study of dentistry at the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, and pursued his studies until 1899. In April, 1899, he graduated, and from that time until March, 1900, he was located in Edgerton. He was married on the tenth of March, 1900, to Miss Nina Marshall, daughter of John Marshall, Esq., of Edgerton. He located in Manchester on the twentieth of March, 1900, having purchased the dental practice and business of Dr. R. M. Prather.
Dr. Bratten is a young man of high character. He is a great student in his profession, and is very ambitious to succeed. He has already won the confidence and esteem of the citizens of Manchester and vicinity, and has shown that he has rare skill in his profession. In his political views he is a Republican. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Manchester, Ohio. His wife is an attractive and accomplished woman and is highly esteemed in society. She possesses remarkable talent as a public reader. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James S. Berry, M. D.
The grandfather of our subject was Thomas Berry, of the city of Baltimore, Maryland. He was married there in 1812 and was one of the famous defenders of Baltimore in the War of 1812. He was in the fight at Bladensburg and about Washington City. After the War of 1812, he went to Rockingham County, Virginia, and from there, in 1818, lie removed to near Greenfield, in Highland County, Ohio. In 1832, his wife died, and in 1840, he removed to Delaware County, Indiana, and married a second time. He died there at the age of eighty years. By his first wife, he had six children, four sons and two daughters. He had a daughter by his second marriage. John, his eldest son, born in Baltimore in 1816, was the father of our subject. When at the age of sixteen years, he learned the tanner's trade at Leesburg, Ohio. He was married at Leesburg, Ohio, to Miss Mary E. Stewart, daughter of James and Phoebe Stewart. Soon after this he bought a farm on Sugar Tree Ridge in Highland County, and resided there, carrying on a farm and tanning until his death, April 4, 1888. In his religious faith, he was a Friend.
His son, James S., one of the eight sons and daughters, was born April 26, 1844. He learned the tanner's trade of his father, and worked at it until he was eighteen years of age. Then he taught school five or six years. He began the study of medicine in 1867 at Sugar Tree Ridge under Dr. Henry Whisler. He graduated at Starling Medical College in 1870 and began the practice of medicine at Locust Grove the same year. He practiced there until 1888, when he removed to Peebles, where he has since resided and practiced medicine.
On October 7, 1873, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Murphy, of Locust Grove. He has five children: Charles, born September 25, 1875; Amma, born March 29, 1877; Mary E., Thomas Alfred and Beatrice. In politics, he is a Democrat. He was Township Clerk for seven years and Treasurer of Franklin Township four years. He has also been a member of the Town Council and Board of Education in Peebles. He has never sought office, but in 1895, he was the candidate of his party for Representative to the Legislature, but was defeated by the Hon. A. C. Smith. After removing to Peebles, he was associated with Dr. J. M. Wittenmeyer. When the latter was elected Auditor in 1893, he formed a partnership with Dr. George F. Thomas, which still continues.
Dr. Berry perhaps is the most unique character living in Adams County today. As a professional man, business character and student in almost all branches of learning, he has few equals in this part of the State. Senator Brice once speaking of him declared that he was qualified to fill almost any position involving business transactions. He is a many-sided man. His inquisitive disposition has given him an insight into almost everything. Besides his thorough medical education, he possesses much legal knowledge and is frequently consulted by men in all professions involving matters of great importance. His judgment is unerring and is followed whenever he is called upon to decide. He is modeled somewhat after Benjamin Franklin. When a subject is presented to him, he at once becomes interested whether in nature or in the affairs of men. As a physician, he stands high. He is temperate in habits, abstaining entirely from the use of intoxicating liquors and tobacco. Possessing a strong mind, in early life, he mastered the science of medicine and from the day that he began to practice in the village of Locust Grove, the people about him have recognized his worth and have trusted him implicitly. Unlike most men, he interests himself in other things besides his profession. He is engaged in the banking business, solicits pensions, oversees a large farm, deals in stock, is interested in the sale of farming implements, and gives much attention to educational matters. If he has nothing else to do, he will engage his mind in solving some abstruse mathematical problem. A great mind, like a healthy body, requires food. He engages in all these lines of business and study seemingly to satisfy his wonderful active mind. While other men are day-dreaming he will be found thinking about several things at the same time. Although a man of dignified bearing, and serious while engaged in business, he possesses the faculty of seeing the humorous side of a situation. He is a good story teller and can make a dying man laugh. He is always found in a good humor and self-possessed. He attracts people to him and has few if any enemies. He has acquired a great deal of property, yet he believes in living well. His home is not exclusive. Guests are always welcome. He has a good wife and an interesting family. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
The Bentonville Schools
In 1870, the people of Bentonville and vicinity, feeling the need of better educational advantages than the township schools afforded, petitioned for a special district to be organized from sub-districts No. 13, No. 9 and No. 16. Sprigg Township. No. 13, schoolhouse stood at Union; No. 9 near the northern limit of Bentonville, near where William West now resides, and No. 16 stood on the land of Dr. John Gaskins, east of Bentonville, now the farm of Mrs. N. G. Foster, of Manchester. Ohio. The petition being granted, Dr. John Gaskins, William T. Leedom and John V. Adamson were elected directors. These gentlemen remained in office for several years and the success of the school from the first was largely due to their efforts in organizing and conducting it. The contractors who erected the building were Rev. B. F. Rapp and Rev. J. F, McColm. The present building, a substantial four-room schoolhouse, was completed in the Winter of 1870, and on January 1, 1871, school began with Rev. J. F. McColm, Principal; I. N. Tolle, Intermediate, and Miss West, Primary, teachers. There were nearly two hundred pupils in attendance at that time. The following is a list of teachers since the organization of the school; the first name for each year being the Principal, the second the Intermediate, and the last, the primary teachers. The present Board of Directors is composed of J. H. Wakiron, Isaiah Shipley and J. A. Hahn. The course of study adopted in 1896 includes three years' work in the Primary department, three years in the Intermediate, and the Principal doing the two years' in the Grammar grades and one year of High School work. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Charles H. Bratten
was born in Newcastle County, Delaware, on the bank of Brandywine Creek, near the Dupont mills, on the seventeenth of April, 1833. His father was Robert Bratten, whose grandparents came from the North of Ireland. His mother was Hannah Maria Carr, a descendant of the early Irish and Swedish settlers in Delaware. Some of her near relatives in the ancestral line fought in the Revolutionary War. His parents removed to Philadelphia when he was but two years old, and at the age of eight years, he went to work in the woolen mills and worked there until he was fifteen. At that time, his parents moved to a farm on the Schuylkill, which is now a part of the city of Philadelphia. The son accepted a position as toll-gate tender near the city limits where he worked for a year. During the time from his eighth to his sixteenth year, the only schooling he received was when the mills in which he was engaged had to close for repairs, and during this time he attended school. He was taught to read by his mother before he attended school. His father, at this time, took the Western fever, and emigrated to Highland County, Ohio, in 1850, locating near Sugar Tree Ridge. Our subject located in Adams County in 1854 in Locust Grove and served a four years' apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, at which he has worked ever since at the same place. In 1859, he married Caroline Leedom, daughter of Thomas Leedom, who at that time kept the old tavern which stood in the north end of Locust Grove. They have four sons and three daughters, all of whom are living and have reached maturity.
When the Civil War began, our subject joined the home guard, and on September 15, 1861, he enlisted in Battery F, First Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery. He remained with the battery until July 22, 1865. This battery was engaged in the battles of Corinth. Stone River, Perryville and Chickamauga and Shiloh. After the war. he returned to Locust Grove, which has been his home ever since. Mr. Bratten is a voluminous reader, and in that way has acquired a great deal of information. He is a radical Republican, and has been since the founding of the party, but never sought office. He is an excellent mechanic and possesses no small amount of inventive genius Three or four years before the Civil War, he and James McCrum, the old gunsmith of Locust Grove, conceived the idea of putting rifles in cannons to increase their effectiveness. Having some doubt as to the success of their proposed invention, Mr. McCrum suggested that they write to Gen. Scott for his opinion of its probable success. They did this and Gen. Scott expressed the opinion that it would not work, so they dropped it. But to their surprise, they learned that in a short time that Hotchkiss had patented the very thing they were at work on. They sometimes thought that General Scott had given the idea to Hotchkiss. They claim that the idea was original with them, though an European had invented a cast iron breech-loading rifled cannon in 1846.
Mr. Bratten is noted for his integrity and is adverse to going into debt. It has been his aim to give his children what was denied to him in his childhood, a common school education. In his early manhood, he was a giant in strength, being five feet ten and a half inches high, and weighing over two hundred pounds, with a symmetrical build. He has no tolerance for dishonesty. He is a man highly respected for his sterling qualities. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
William Baker Brown
was born March 21, 1824, in Wayne Township. His father was James Brown, who came from Pennsylvania, as well as his grandfather of the same name. The latter was the second person interred in the Cherry Fork U. P. Cemetery. Our subject had two brothers and one sister. Jacob N. Brown was his brother. His other brother, James Reed Brown, died in Illinois at the age of thirty. His sister, Jane, married Samuel McClanahan, a nephew of the Judge. Our subject's mother's maiden name was Baker. Her father, Frederick Baker, came from Germany. Mr. Brown obtained his education in the Public schools. As a boy, he was apprenticed to Samuel Clark to learn the tannery trade, and he worked at it for three years. He completed his apprenticeship and worked four years at the trade, between West Union and Unity, on the Samuel Clark place. He was married on the twelfth of April, 1848, to Ellen Ralston, the adopted daughter of Thomas Huston. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have had seven children, of which six grew to maturity. Hermas C, the youngest, died in infancy. His children are as follows: James W. Brown, hardware merchant, residing at Washington C. H.; Henry H., a traveling salesman of the same place; Louis R., who resides in Starkville, Miss.; Newton Monroe, who resides at Unity; Margaret, who resides with her father, and Carey H., who resides in Kansas City, Mo. Mrs. Ellen Brown died January 29, 1883.
Mr. Brown went to Unity and started a store in 1850, also operated a grist and saw mill. In 1870, he left the store to his sons, James and Henry. He operated the mill till 1880, when he removed to West Union. His son, Carey H., is interested in a gold mine in New Mexico, but resides in Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Brown was elected Treasurer of Adams County in 1879, defeating Lily Robbins. In 1881, he was elected to the same office, defeating John Cluxton. In 1887, he was elected to the same office, defeating Stewart Alexander. He was renominated in 1889, but withdrew and P. N. Wickerham was elected. Mr. Wickerham, though of opposite politics, had Mr. Brown appointed Deputy Treasurer and he served as such under him from 1890 to 1894. From 1894 to 1897, he served as Deputy Treasurer under John Fristoe. In 1898, he was employed in the Auditor's office, and in September, 1899. he became Deputy Treasurer under H. B. Gaffin. He was Treasurer of Oliver Township from 1853 to 1876, continuously. He was a member of the United Presbyterian Church at Unity from 1850 and was made an elder in 1880. He has always been a Democrat. Mr. Brown is a man of the very highest integrity and enjoys the confidence, esteem and respect of all who know him. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James W. Brown
son of William Baker Brown, was born October 6, 1849, near Unity. He obtained his education in the District schools and at the North Liberty Academy. He was raised in the store at Unity. He and his brother Henry took the store in 1870, under the firm name of J. W. and H. H. Brown, and continued it until 1881. At that time he went to Georgetown and engaged in the hardware business for three years with his brother Henry. They went to Washington C. H., in 1884, the day of the cyclone. They were in partnership there in the hardware business until 1899, when Henry retired from that business.
James W. Brown was married to Mary Dill, whose home was near Bainbridge. They have one daughter, Mabel, twelve years of age. Mr. Brown is a Democrat politically, and a Presbyterian in his religious faith. He is one of the very best business men of Washington C. H. As a boy, he was honest and straightforward and upright in all his dealings, and the same qualities are intensified in him as a man. There is no man who stands higher in the business community where he is known than he. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmon s B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Dr. James W. Bunn
physician and pharmacist. West Union, was born at Sugar Tree Ridge, Ohio, February 11, 1842. His father, John Bunn, who married Miss Jane Thompson, a native of Ireland, came from the State of Pennsylvania to Concord Township, Highland County, Ohio, in 1829, where he purchased 220 acres of land and laid out the town of Sugar Tree Ridge, naming it from its elevated position and the forest growth upon the plat. Our subject in youth was a diligent student. He attended the country schools, and later the old North Liberty Academy and the High Schools at Georgetown and Winchester, Ohio. He taught school from his seventeenth year until after his majority, when he began the study of medicine with his brother-in-law, Dr. F. J. Miller, of West Union. He attended Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, in 1865-6, and in the latter year located at Harden, Scioto County, where he practiced his profession until 1868, when he removed to Latham in Pike County, at which place he remained until 1870, when he formed a partnership with his brother, Dr. John Ruim, at Jacksonville, Adams County. In 1872-3, he again attended Starling College, where he graduated with high honors, after which he came to West Union and entered into a partnership with Dr. Miller, where he is now actively engaged in practice. He enlisted in the 182d O. V. I. during the Civil War, and served as Hospital Steward of the regiment with much credit. He had full control of the Medical Dispensary, and looked after the wounded and sick. His brothers Joseph and Dr. John were also members of that regiment. His youngest brother, Lewis, died at Bowling Green, Ky., while a member of the Second Ohio Battery.
Dr. Bunn married Miss Annie Hood, a daughter of John P. Hood, of West Union, September 19, 1877. They have two children living: Miss Irene, an intelligent young lady, a graduate of the West Union High School, and at present a Sophomore at Oxford College, and Eugene H., a lad now a member of the West Union High School. A son died in infancy. Dr. Bunn is one of the most prominent physicians of Adams County. He served with marked ability as a member of the United States Pension Board, at West Union, for a period of ten years, being Secretary of the Board. He recently resigned, with the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact. In politics, Dr. Bunn is a staunch Democrat of the Jacksonian type, although he has never sought political honors. He is a prominent member of the Christian Union Church at West Union. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Jacob F. Bissinger
merchant, Hills Fork, was born in Neiderhofen, Germany, July 4, 1824. His father, Jacob F. Bissinger, and his ancestors had resided on the same place, and followed farming back in "time when the memory of man runneth not to the contrary." The subject of this sketch attended the public schools from the age of six to fourteen years, completing the regular common school course. A Mr. Hull, the schoolmaster, had been the teacher of his father and mother before him. From fourteen to sixteen years of age, he was free from obligations of the Government; but upon arriving at the age of sixteen, he, as was the law, took the oath of allegiance. At the age of twenty-one, he luckily drew a number that freed him from entering the army, and he immediately embarked for the United States of America. He was accompanied by Christian Helmley, John Wagner and Christian Stahl, each of whom brought his family and settled in Adams County. Ohio. They were forty-five days on the ocean, a passage that is now made in less than six days. When Mr. Bissinger embarked for America, he had forty-five five-franc pieces in money in a belt in a chest. When he arrived in New York thirty of those had been stolen. His destination was West Union, where his cousin, Conrad Pflaumer, then resided. He came to Philadelphia by water, and to Pittsburgh by rail and the Harrisburg Canal. While boarding the canal boat at Johnstown, Pa., he discovered something in the water between the wharf and the boat, which on investigation proved to be a little girl about ten years of age, apparently drowned. She was a daughter of a member of his party, and was resuscitated and made the voyage to Adams County. At Pittsburg, he took steamboat for Manchester. He was told that there was no such town on the Ohio between there and Cincinnati. That if there was any such town it was below Cincinnati. So he took passage for the latter place. The river was low, it being in the month of July, and near Maysville the boat grounded on a bar. The emigrants were ordered to carry the coal on the boat to a barge to lighten the craft so it could be floated off the bar. Some refused, and the crew tied ropes about their bodies and threw them into the river. Mr. Bissinger concluded to carry coal in preference to being ducked, when a well dressed young woman remonstrated with the officers of the boat and the emigrants were relieved of the duty imposed upon them, and at Cincinnati the officers and crew were put under arrest. Upon arrival at Cincinnati, Mr. Bissinger and his companions, while going up street, heard some persons singing songs with which he was familiar, and on entering the place found some of his country people who directed him to West Union. He and his fellow emigrants again took a boat for Manchester, and arriving there in the night, they were put off on the bar, and when morning came, they looked about for the town. This was August 1, 1846. All there was of Manchester was Andrew Ellison's little frame store, and about a dozen log houses. When Mr. Bissinger and his party landed at Manchester they were without a cent of money and very hungry.
He, Helmley, and Schuster started afoot to see if they could find the way to West Union. They met an old man who they afterwards learned was William Ellison, who, when they spoke the words "West Union," pointed the way which put them on the Island Creek road. About two miles from West Union, on the old Manchester road, a man gave them a crock of milk and some early apples, the first food they had tasted since they left Cincinnati, a period of thirty-six hours. Mr. Bissinger's uncle had left word with Marlatt, the tavern keeper at West Union, to be on the lookout for him and his companions, and he took them to Frederick Pflaummer's, on the farm now owned by Jacob Brodt, on the Unity road.
Since then Mr. Bissinger has become one of the prominent citizens of Adams County. He has been engaged in the general merchandising business at Hills Fork for a great many years, where he has accumulated a competency for himself and family. He is the postmaster there, which position he has held for many years. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
farmer, of West Union, was born February 6, 1856, on the old Burr homestead near Cedar Mills in Jefferson Township. He is a son of Frederick Burr and Caroline Bieber. Frederick Burr was a native of Alsace-Lorraine, France, and was born in 1816. He emigrated to Pennsylvania when a young man, where he married Caroline Bieber, a native of Germany. In 1850, he came to Adams County and settled on the farm above mentioned, where he reared a family of six sons and one daughter. Jacob, the subject of this sketch, married Jennie M. Piatt, daughter of James Piatt, of near the Stone Chapel, in Tiffin Township. One son, Stanley, was born to them. After her death, he married Mrs. Lizzie McKenzie, widow of Peter McKenzie and daughter of John Crummie and Hannah Collier, his wife, of Cedar Mills. Peter McKenzie was killed in West Union by his horse running away with him. He left four interesting children: Susie, a bright and talented Miss of fifteen years; Henry D., twelve years; Mary E., nine, and Frank P., six. Peter McKenzie was a son of Peter McKenzie, Sr., who married Susan Bayless, and whose father was Duncan McKenzie, a native of Scotland and a pioneer of Adams County contemporaneous with Massie, Donalson and Leedom. He married Jane Ellison, a daughter of John Ellison, Sr. He died on the farm selected by him as his future home while the Indians yet laid claim to the country on September 19, 1832, in his seventy-eighth year. His wife died February 10, 1855, in her eighty-third year. Their son, Peter McKenzie, was born January 14, 1811. and died May 4, 1881. Susan, his wife, was born January 11, 1815, and died in July, 1895. Peter McKenzie, son of Peter McKenzie, Sr., was born August 16, 1849, and died December 31, 1896. The subject of this sketch, Jacob Burr, is a prominent farmer and stock raiser. He resided on the old Duncan McKenzie farm. He is a member of the Independent Order of Red Men, of West Union. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Nicholas Burwell was born near Winchester, Virginia, September 11, 1794. He learned the shoemaker’s trade as a youth at Winchester, and while residing there was in the War of 1812. In 1815, he and Murtaugh Kehoe, also a young shoemaker, came to the West from Winchester, Virginia. They floated down the Ohio River and landed at Portsmouth, Ohio. Kehoe was favorably impressed with the place and resolved to remain and did so. Burwell thought two of the same trade should not locate in the same town, and he went on to Limestone, now Maysville. There he heard of West Union, then a new town, only eleven years old, and he went there and set up in the business of shoemaking. He lived there five years when he was married to Sarah Fenton, daughter of Samuel Fenton, of Gift Ridge, one of Adams County’s pioneers. They were married April 19, 1820. She was born September 22, 1802. The minister who performed the ceremony was Rev. Greenbury Jones, one of the pioneer Methodist preachers. On this occasion, Rev. Jones alluded to them as children, owing to their youthful appearance.
Nicholas Burwell and his wife went to housekeeping in West Union and lived there all their lives. Their oldest child was Elizabeth, born May 5, 1821, and married Joseph West Lafferty, May 24, 1838. Their oldest son, Samuel, was born November 20, 1822. He is the veteran editor of the Scion and was married to Margaret Mitchell, March 30, 1848. William Burwell, the second son, was born October 20, 1826. He married a Miss Murphy of Buena Vista and is now deceased; Martha Ann, born January 16, 1830, married Ellis Bottleman, April 12, 1854; Edward was born January 26, 1834; Michael Henry was born February 26, 1839, and is now deceased. Mary, the youngest daughter, married Smiley Lockwood, May 23, 1860. She is now a widow residing at Winchester.
Nicholas Burwell conducted a shoe shop in West Union all his life. He was contemporary with Judge Byrd and knew him well. The Judge too a fancy to Mr. Burwell’s cow at one time and gave him $50 for her, an extravagant price at that time. Nicholas Burwell was one of the pillars in the Methodist Church at West Union. He always attended all its services week days and Sundays and never missed one. He was particularly punctual at the Wednesday evening prayer meetings. The other pillars in the church whom the writer remembers, were Abraham Hollingsworth, Adam McGovney, William R. Rape, and William Allen. They were always present as well as Burwell. The latter always felt well assured of his eternal salvation. At many of the meetings, he would get very happy. He was enthusiastic in his deotion to the church. With him, it was always first. Everything else was secondary. He was a thin, spare man, wore a silk hat and went along the street with his head slightly bowed as if in a deep study. He was cordial with and genial to every one. His likes and dislikes were very strong, a trait inherited by all of his descendants. He was often given to hyperbole in common conversation, another family trait, but he was honest and an honorable man, a good citizen and a good Christian. He feared the Lord but nothing else. He was active and energetic, very fond of physical exercise. Within a few months prior to his death, he walked from Manchester to West Union. In his old age, he was as good a walker as any boy. He entered into rest in al the triumph of his faith, July 1, 1789. His wife followed him, January 14, 1885. They rest side by side in the old cemetery at West Union, waiting the sound of Gabriel’s trumpet. [Source: pg. 521-522, "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - transcribed by David Weise]
the veteran editor and publisher of the West Union Scion, was born in West Union, November 20, 1822, the son of Nicholas Burwell and Sarah Fenton, his wife. His father has a separate sketch, and no notice of his ancestry will be given herein. Samuel Burwell was born with a good constitution, the best capital which can be given a boy for a start in this life. He attended the schools of his district and was just as mischievous and devilish as most boys are, only a little more so. His boyhood was under Leonard Cole and Ralph McClure as teachers. They were firm believers in the doctrine of King Solomon as to the use of the rod, and they practiced their belief with emphasis, and Sam and the other boys of his time got the full benefit of it. Sam was one of the early sufferers from that custom instituted by Leonard Cole, of whipping every boy in school whenever one or more (always more) were detected in any mischief. The writer was one of the later sufferers from that same custom, though under different teachers from those who administered the birch to Sam. Both Sam and the writer attribute the regularity of their lives to their early discipline in the West Union schools.
Sam Burwell was a boy left much to his own devices. He was very inquisitive and very fond of the society of those older than himself. He very naturally drifted into a printing office as early as the age of thirteen, and the year of 1835 found him at work in the Free Press office in West Union. When the Free Press suspended, he went to Hillsboro and worked in the News office, and while there attended the Hillsboro Academy, but his real work in learning the trade of a printer was with Robert Jackman in the office of the Intelligencer, from 1844 to 1846.
In 1848, Sam, while working for Judge John M. Smith,
committed the very rash act of marriage. His bride was Miss Margaret
Mitchell, daughter of Alexander Mitchell, who had died of cholera in
1835. However, much of a risk it was for the young printer to get
married, (and the risk was entirely on the wife's part, for Sam was a
Mark Tapley kind of a young man who could have gotten on anywhere,) the
marriage turned out happily.
On the seventeenth of February, 1853, the Scion was born. The writer remembers one evening shortly before that date, when he was a boy of ten, Samuel Burwell, a young man of thirty, came to his father's house to consult about starting a newspaper. In the same evening, the enterprise was determined on and it was named. E. P. Evans suggested the name, the Scion of Temperance. It was thought best to start it as a Temperance paper, and hence its name. The "of Temperance" was dropped after two years, and it became a purely political newspaper. From its first issue. February 17, 1853, until the present time, the history of the paper and that of Sam Burwell have been identical. From that date the history of the Scion is a sketch of Mr. Burwell, and a sketch of Mr. Burwell is the history of the Scion. Not only that, but from 1853, the history of the Scion is an account of Sam Burwell's family. When he first began, he was full of enthusiasm, and he made the Scion a success from the start. Even his wife helped him on the paper in the early years of the enterprise. But he brought his family up on the paper and he brought others up. On the Scion he taught Henry Shupert and made him a printer. He died in Cincinnati six years ago and left a handsome estate. Sam Burwell taught Col. John A. Cockerill the printer's art and the latter became the most distinguished journalist in the United States. Orlando Burwell, Mr. Burwell's eldest son, was brought up a printer in the Scion office. He has been employed on the Times Star, as one of the best workmen, for twenty-seven years, and is one of the best printers in Cincinnati. Clay, his fourth son, has been employed on the New York World for nine years. He learned his trade in the Scion office. His son, Bickham Burwell, was employed in the same New York office for four years and might have continued, but became tired of the work and secured an appointment in Washington. His son, Samuel Burwell, who died in 1891, aged thirty-six years, learned the trade in the Scion office and did his father good service for many years before his untimely death. His son, Cassius M., is with him in the business. He too was brought up and reared in the Scion office and has been a partner since 1887. When friend Sam "shuffles off this mortal coil" and takes up his residence in the old South Cemetery, doubtless "Cash," as he is best known, will continue the business. But the boys of the Burwell family are not the only ones who have been brought up in the Scion. Mr. Burwell's daughter. Ella, is the mailing clerk of the office and keeps the books. His daughter, Margaret, is an expert compositor and has worked in the office for fourteen years Bickman Burwell, his son, is also a compositor in the office and foreman. So that the Scion is strictly a family newspaper edited and published by the Burwell family. The Scion never published less than 720 copies and its circulation is now 1,104. From the time the paper started, until the present time, it has been true blue Republican, and will so continue so long as the Republican party and the Burwell family survive.
The writer proposes to tell the truth about Sam Burwell. This article is not written for the present generation in Adams County. They have not taken much interest in this book, but this article and this book is written for posterity. In fifty or seventy-five years from now, the people living in Adams County will prize this work as a precious relic, and they will want to know all about the man who could publish the same newspaper for forty-six years. Sam Burwell's career will be a wonder in a hundred years from now, and hence it is important that the truth be now told and recorded for the benefit of unborn posterity. So here goes. Sam Burwell is a born exaggerator. Some uncharitable people have accused him of plain lying, but as that charge has been laid to every editor from King Solomon to the present time, we shall not notice it, and the most remarkable thing is that Mr. Burwell is not conscious of the fault. He will know it for the first time when he reads this book. But understand, Sam Burwell never told a lie in his life, either in the Scion or out of it, but he can no more help exaggeration than water can help running down hill. It was born in him, inherited, and could not be eradicated. With him, everything is the very best or the very worst. The village statesmen whom he admires are all Websters and Clays. His enemies are the worst people in the world. The Devil himself, with his cloven feet, his dart tail and spouting brimstone, is a saint compared to them. The writer has fully tested Sam Burwell on this and knows whereof he speaks. Once he rode twelve miles with him and Sam began telling him what a wonderful young man his brother, then living, but since deceased, was. The writer undertook to disparage his brother and tell what an ordinary young man he was, but it was of no use. Mr. Burwell had fixed his standards and no argument could avail. The young man, in his estimation, was the brightest and most talented who had ever lived, and no disparagements affected Mr. Burwell in the least. But, after all, this habit of thought and expression is valuable in a newspaper man. People like condiments in the columns of a newspaper as well as in their food. It may be Mr. Burwell's peculiar traits have made the Scion what it is and kept it up.
Mr. Burwell is not a religious man, nor is he irreligious. From his father's standpoint, he is not religious, but, in sentiment, he respects religion, and has as much of it as is safe for a newspaper man to have. The writer has always held the view that a newspaper man is not capable of being religious to any extent, and Mr. Burwell is much better than the average of them. Mr. Burwell has always made money but never saved it to any great extent. He has kept the Scion going as a newspaper for forty-six years. He has kept it to a high standard of journalism. He has kept his political faith all the time. He has reared a large family and has done it creditably. He has always paid his debts. There are people who say of him that if he had a million dollars income each year, he would spend a little more, but at the same time, there is no one who would do more good with the money than he. He has lived so long in Adams County that he has become one of its institutions and we do not know of another newspaper in the State which has remained for forty-six years under one management, nor do we know of an editor in the State who has conducted the same newspaper over forty-six years. He stands as a remarkable instance of a man who has followed the printer's trade for sixty-three years and yet is hale and hearty; who has written editorials for forty-six years and yet can tell the truth, and does it once every week.
Mr. Burwell's friends are almost all in the cemetery south of town, but the younger generation respect him for his sterling qualities. He has been industrious and energetic. He has persevered and made his chosen occupation a success. He has kept ahead of the Sheriff at all times and been honest and honorable in all his dealings, and when Gabriel foots up his account in the ledger of life.he will find the good qualities will overbalance all those faults and sins his enemies attribute him, and he will receive his pass which St. Peter will honor at the wicket gate, and all we wish is that it may be a long time before he will have to apply for it. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Col. William E. Bundy
William Edgar Bundy was born in Jackson County, Ohio, on the site now occupied by the city of Wellston, October 4, 1866. His father, William Sanford Bundy, was wounded while in the service of his country, near Bean Station, Tennessee, as a private soldier, and died from the effects of his wound, January 4, 1807. His mother, Kate Thompson Bundy, was killed in an accident two years later, and their young son was raised and educated by his grandfather, Hon H. S. Bundy.
The subject of this sketch was graduated from the Ohio University in 1890 (of which institution he is now a Trustee) as a Bachelor of Arts, and has since attained the degree of Master of Arts. For two years he was editor of the Wellston Argus, and then came to Cincinnati, attended the Law School, and was graduated there from in 1890. During the years 1890 and 1891 he was Secretary of the Board of Elections of Hamilton County. He has been four times elected Solicitor of Norwood, and has a beautiful home in that thriving suburb. He was married May 8, 1890, to Miss Eva E. Leedom, daughter of the late Ex-Congressman, John P. Leedom, of Adams County, and they have one son, William Sanford Bundy (named after the child's martyred grandfather).
Mr. Bundy was Commander of the Ohio Division, Sons of Veterans, in 1890, and was Commander-in-Chief of that order for the United States in 1894-5. He has always taken an active and practical interest in politics. In 1898, he was President of the Ohio Republican League, and during that year was appointed United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, for a term of four years. Through his own efforts and industry he has attained a leading position at the Hamilton County bar. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Em mons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Ambrose O. Bowman
was born in Huntington Township, Brown County, Ohio, April 6, 1863, on the farm now occupied by Rev. T. J. Bowman. George Bowman, great-grandfather of our subject, was a native of Pennsylvania, and came down the river in the old keel-boating times, settled on the same farm, which, in turn, has been occupied by Benjamin Bowman, grandfather, and Patrick Bowman, father of our subject. Benjamin Bowman married Mary McElwee, a woman of more than ordinary intelligence, and a lifelong advocate of the cause of temperance. His mother's name is Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Rachael (Housh) Senteny, of Virginia stock.
Our subject attended school until he was fifteen years of age, then went to the Lebanon University. In 1880, he began teaching in Lewis and Mason Counties, Kentucky. He attended the Southwestern Normal School at Georgetown, in 1883, and 1884, and taught in Brown County, Ohio, till 1894, when he located at Youngsville, and taught at that place in 1894 and 1895. From 1806 to 1809, he occupied the position of Principal of the Bentonville schools. Mr. Bowman is a natural born musician and has been successful as a teacher of vocal music and conductor of orchestra, band and choir. He was married March 21, 1887, to Laura E. Johnson, daughter of William and Cindora (Shaw) Johnson, and great-granddaughter of Russell Shaw, the founder of Russellville, Brown County, Ohio. They have had four children. Frank died at the age of two years; William, aged seven years; George, aged four years, and Idella, the baby. From April, 1899, to October of the same year, he was engaged in canvassing for and writing sketches for this work, the History of Adams County. Ohio. He is highly esteemed as a citizen, and is regarded in music and the common branches, as a teacher of more than ordinary ability, and he has brought the Bentonville schools into a high standing in the period in which he has had charge of them. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Newton Dunlap Baldridge
was born December 24, 1855, in the same house in which he now resides. His father was James Wilson Baldridge, and his mother, Margaret McVey. For further information as to his ancestry, we refer to the sketch herein of his brother, James W. Balbridge.
Our subject spent his boyhood on his father's farm, (now his,) and .received a common school education. On November 3, 1881, he was married to Mary Emma, daughter of James and Elizabeth McCutcheon, of Manchester, Ohio. They have five children: Delos, Delva, Florence, Blanchard, and John, all of great promise. In his political views, Mr. Baldridge is a Republican. He is one of the thoroughly reliable men of Wayne Township. He is observant of everything in the community and is remarkably energetic. He is prompt in all his engagements and honest in all his dealings with others. He has never sought a place in, and would not become a part of, the administration of public affairs, but he exerts a strong and beneficial interest in his community. He is deeply interested in public education and is an earnest advocate and supporter of whatever is for the good of the public. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Cherry Fork, and a ruling elder therein. He performs his duty in that office with the same zeal and earnestness which he gives to all he does. As a farmer, he is a model for all of the name. He makes farming an honor, a pleasure, and a success. He is always ready to give any good cause a helping hand. He is a man of strong convictions and of the strictest fidelity in every relation of life. He is respected as a man, esteemed as a citizen, admired as a farmer, and relied upon as a true Christian. No one in his community stands any higher than he, and no one is more deserving of such estimation. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Em mons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James W. Baldridge
was born October 14, 1833, at the old Baldridge homestead. He is a son of James W. and Margaret (McVey) Baldridge. His father was born in 1807, and died in 1800. His mother was horn in 1811 and died about 1881. She was a daughter of Col. William McVey. His grandfather was a native of Pennsylvania, but came to Adams County in 1807. and settled first at Killenstown, where our subject was born. They lived at Killenstown for about fifteen years and then removed to Cherry Fork. His maternal grandfather (McVey) came from Virginia. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia. Col. McVey settled on the land on which North Liberty is built.
Our subject received a common school education,and such instruction as he could obtain from the North Liberty Academy. He was brought up a farmer. He enlisted in Company G, 129th O. V. I., in July, 1863, and served until the following March. He was married to Mary Stewart, October 12, 1861. The children of this marriage are as follows; R. S Baldridge, of Butte City, Montana; Finsher Wilson, in the Klondike gold region: Anna Jane, wife of Wylie McKee, of Milroy. Ohio; John Isaac, of Milroy. Ohio: Eva Leore; James Roscoe, who lives at Butte City, Montana, and Margaret. Mr. Baldridge was married to Miss Margaret Jane Crawford, daughter of Robert Crawford, December 28, 1887.
He has always been a Republican, and was elected Land Appraiser of Wayne Township in 1890. He is a member of the U. P. Church at Cherry Fork. He owns a farm on the Youngsville turnpike, but lives in the village of North Liberty.
He is an active, energetic, industrious citizen, fully alive to all the questions of the day. Socially, he is a pleasant and agreeable companion and is the soul and life of any circle in which he is present. Men like he make life tolerable and agreeable. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmon s B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Thomas L. Bratten
was born in Locust Grove, Ohio, December 17, 1874, the son of Charles H. Bratten and Caroline Leedom, his wife. He has an intermingling of Scotch, Irish, English and Swedish blood in his veins. He is one of seven children. As a boy, he was honest and good-natured, but would always fight if necessary. He was content to have but one friend among the boys, and would attach himself greatly to that one. He was very fond, when a boy, of working about his father's shop, on any kind of machinery where he was permitted to do so. He was always very fond of the woods and fields, and nothing pleased him more than the privilege of strolling through them. Ezekiel Arnold gave him the name of "The World's Wanderer," for this trait. He attended the village schools of Locust Grove until he was eighteen years of age. He then began teaching. His first school was at Palestine, Franklin Township, Adams County. The next year he was engaged as Principal of the Harden schools in Scioto County. He has been engaged in Scioto County for six years with good success. At school, he always ranked first in his classes. He has attended the Ohio Normal University at Ada, Ohio, and expects to graduate there soon. What education he has, has been obtained through his own efforts.
Mr. Bratten is a young man of the highest character. When he believes in a thing, he believes in it with all the force and power that is in him, and when he has formed a purpose, he carries it out. He inherited a disposition for information and study and is very fond of reading the best literature. He is a very successful teacher, as is shown by the fact that he has been employed in the same school year after year. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
William P. Breckinridge
of Scott Township, Adams County, Ohio, was born October 7, 1831. He is the son of William and Martha McKinley (McCreight) Breckinridge. His grandfather, Judge Breckinridge, came from Paris, Kentucky, to Fincastle, in Brown County, in 1804. Judge Breckinridge married a Miss Wright, of Bourbon County, Kentucky. They had thirteen children, six daughters and seven sons. William, the third son, is the father of our subject. Judge Breckinridge bought a thousand acres of land near Fincastle, which he afterward sold and removed to Pontiac, Illinois, some time in the forties. In 1834, William Breckinridge, the father of the subject of our sketch, with four other families, moved from Brown County to Livingston County, Illinois, but not being satisfied, he returned after a few days' stay in Illinois, to Clinton County, Indiana, where he died on the fifteenth of August, 1846.Judge Robert Breckinridge was born September 27, 1774, in Rockbridge County, Virginia. His wife (Mary Wright), was born September 17, 1774, in the same county. They removed to Bourbon County, Kentucky, where eight of their children were born. He moved to Eagle Township in 1808. and while there served one term as Associate Judge. In distributing his land, he gave each of his sons one hundred acres, and each of his daughters fifty acres, and sold the remainder of his land to Isaac Earles, when he emigrated to Illinois in the Spring of 1836. He served as Associate Judge of Brown County from 1825 to 1836. He died September 23, 1838. He was Captain of a company in the War of 1812. The mother of our subject was a daughter of David McCreight. He, with three other brothers, emigrated from South Carolina and settled in Scott Township, near Tranquility.
William P. Breckinridge, our subject, married Eliza N. Campbell, daughter of Major Robert Campbell, one of the pioneers of Buck Run. He, with five brothers, emigrated from Buck Run, Rockbridge County, Virginia, and all settled in Scott Township. Their descendants are scattered through the West. Our subject came to Ohio in the Fall of 1848 to Brown County, and went to school to John Eadinfield, who is still living. He came to Scott Township, Adams County, March 1, 1849, and he was married on the twenty-fifth of December, 1872. They have seven sons and two daughters. His father and grandfather were Democrats in their political associations, but all the family were members of the Associate Reform Church at Cherry Fork. Our subject is a Republican and a member of the United Presbyterian Church at Tranquility.He enlisted in Company G, 172nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on the second of May, 1864, and served until the third of September, 1864. Samuel Laird was the Captain of the company and William A. Blair was Second Lieutenant.
A friend that has known him for thirty years says that he is beyond reproach as a man, a citizen, a neighbor and Christian gentleman. He has been an elder of the United Presbyterian Church at Tranquility for forty years. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]