for Adams County, Ohio
Leamel L. Edgington
was born in Sprigg Township, Adams County, Ohio. October 10. 1836. son of Richard M. and Margaret (Lytle) Edgington. His father and his grandfather were both born in Sprigg Township. His grandmother's (Phoebe Edgington) maiden name was Noleman. His great-grandfather. George Edgington, located in Adams County among the first settlers. He was from Virginia. He settled at Bentonville and one of his daughters married William Leedom. who kept a famous tavern on Zane's Trace as early as 1807. The Edgingtons were Baptists from the first settlers. They at first kept their membership in tire church at West Union. Afterwards they removed it to the church at Bentonville, Richard Edgington, father of Captain Edgington, built the first tavern in Bentonville in 1848. It is now occupied by a Mr. Easter.
Lindsey Edgington spent his childhood and boyhood at Bentonville and attended school there. He also attended a select school there from 1848 to 1851, taught by Prof. Miller. In 1855, he took up the profession of school teacher and taught for five years, two years in Coles County, Illinois. In 1857 and 1858. he taught in Ohio, and in 1859, in Missouri. He returned to Ohio in 1860 and October 19. 1861, he enlisted in Company B, 70th O. V. I. He was made Second Sergeant when the company was organized. On March 1, 1862, he was made Sergeant Major of the Regiment, and on October 6, 1864, was made First Lieutenant and Adjutant.
On December 1, 1864, he was made a Captain and assigned to Company B. On April 9, 1865, he was detailed as Aid-decamp on the staff of Major General William B. Hazen and served as such until August 14. 1865. Any soldier reading this record will understand from it that Captain Edgington made an excellent soldier and was a most efficient officer. A history of his service would be a history of the 70th O. V. I., which is found elsewhere. He was in no less than fifteen battles, was in the March to the Sea, and in the assault on Fort McCallister, and was in the Great Review at Washington, D. C, May 24, 1865.
From 1865 to 1867, he was in the mercantile business at Bentonville, Ohio. From 1867 to 1883. he was employed as a traveling salesman for mercantile houses in Portsmouth and in Cincinnati, Ohio. He located in West Union in 1883 in the grocery and hardware business and has been engaged in it ever since.
He was married April 17, 1867, to Miss Eliza Jane Hook and has two sons and a daughter. His sons, Sherman R., and Eustace B., are engaged in business with him. His daughter Elizabeth is the wife of James O. McMannis. late Probate Judge of Adams County. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, Ohio Commandery of Manchester Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Manchester Chapter of Royal Arch Masons. He is a Republican in politics but never has taken any active part in political work.
Mr. Edgington is a man who has made no mistakes in life. He is capable and enterprising in business, a valuable and valued citizen. He is always ready to contribute of his means and influence toward any object calculated for the good of the community. His record as a teacher, a soldier, an officer and a citizen is without reproach. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Sylvanus V. Edgington
of West Union, Ohio, was born at Aberdeen, Ohio, October 16, 1853. He was the son of William and Mary A. (Gaffin) Edgington. His grandfather, Absalom Edgington, was a native of Sprigg Township, Adams County. He spent his boyhood at Bentonville attending the public schools at that place, receiving a limited education. He learned the shoemaker's trade with his father and worked at that until 1876. In 1878, he removed to West Union and engaged in the barber business, in which he is still engaged.
He married Retta Clark, daughter of William Clark, of Fayette County, Ohio, in 1874. The children of this marriage are Bertha, deceased; Francis, wife of Sherman Daulton; Kilby Blaine, seventeen years of age; Blanche, fourteen years of age; Albert, eleven years of age; Myrtle, three years of age.
He is a Republican and takes an active part in local politics. He is a member of West Union Council and School Board, a member of Crystal Lodge, No. 114, Knights of Phythias, and of No. 43, Free and Accepted Masons, of West Union.
Mr. Edgington is an honest and upright citizen. He takes a very active interest in the fraternal orders of which he is a member. He is a zealous and earnest worker in his party. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Robert Hamilton Ellison
was born in Manchester, April 21, 1845, the son of William and Mary Ellison. He received his education in the public schools at Manchester and has resided there all his life. He was married October 7, 1868, to Isabella Harris, of Greene County, Ohio, and has two children, a son and a daughter. He has given most of his attention to farming and stock raising. In May, 1872, he became cashier of the Manchester National Bank and continued such for four years. In 1879, he was elected Auditor of Adams County and held the office one term, three years. Then he went into the banking business on his own account, and to dealing in leaf tobacco. In 1889, he closed out his banking business and since then he has been exclusively engaged in farming. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Phythias. He has been a Republican all his life. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
son of John Ellison, Jr., Sheriff of Adams County, 1806-10, and grandson of Andrew Ellison, of "stone house" celebrity, whose father was John Ellison, the emigrant, was born at old Buckeye Station, March 24, 1821, and died in Manchester, April 5, 1872. His mother was Ann Barr, a native of Adams County, and his grandmother was Mary McFarland, a native of the Emerald Isle, who was married to Andrew Ellison previous
to his coming to America. John Ellison, the subject of this sketch, received the rudiments of an English education in the schools such as were afforded in Adams County in his early youth. He afterwards spent some time at old Marietta College, one of the early educational institutions of Ohio. He early engaged in mercantile pursuits in which he was actively and successfully engaged until the time of his demise. While never robust, yet he undertook and carried forward enterprises of business which required the greatest mental and physical exertion. He was an alert, public spirited citizen, ever ready to lend assistance to promote and advance the interests of the community in which he made his home and the county of his birth. He was one of the first advocates of the free turnpike road system of the State. He established the first bank in Manchester in the building which Thomas O'Neill now occupies on Water Street.
In 1866, he, in connection with Peter Shiras and Robert H. Ellison, organized the banking house of John Ellison & Company. And just previous to his decease, established the First National Bank of Manchester in the building now occupied by the Manchester Bank. At the time of Morgan's Raid in 1863, he, assisted by his wife, sealed up the bonds and species of the bank amounting to $100,000. in fruit jars, and buried them in Keith's hollow back of Manchester, where they remained undisturbed until after all danger from Morgan's marauders had passed.
Mr. Ellison was a consistent and honored member of the Presbyterian Church during his lifetime, serving for many years as one of its elders and Sunday School Superintendent. In politics he adhered to the principles of the Republican party after its organization, although his grandfather and father were supporters of the doctrines of Jefferson and Jackson. In early manhood he wedded Miss Helena Baldwin, a daughter of Elijah Baldwin, a wealthy merchant and trader of Manchester, of whom is is said that he sent more keel-boats loaded with bacon and flour from Manchester to New Orleans than any other merchant of his day. On one occasion, when delayed at New Orleans for means of transportation home by water, he set out on foot and walked the entire distance across the country home, at a time when it was worth a man's life to undertake such a journey through a sparsely settled region infested with bandits of the most daring class. After the death of his first wife, he married Miss Caroline, her sister, with whom he resided until his decease. The fruits of the first marriage were Andrew, Anna, and John Prescott. the latter of whom yet survive. Of the second marriage, the children are Helena, who died in infancy: Esther, who married Stewart Alexander, a prominent business man of Adams County, and Louvica, a bright and interesting woman, recognized as a leader in social, church, and charitable affairs in her native community, now married to J. G. Nicholson, of Manchester. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
David Shafer Eylar
He was born July 10, 1831, in Manchester, Adams County, the ninth of ten children of the first marriage of Judge Joseph Eylar. He was taught what the District school could give him. His father was a tanner and he learned the trade under him. In 1832 to 1857, he conducted a tannery in Locust Grove. In the Fall of 1857, he was elected Sheriff on the, Democratic ticket and re-elected in 1859.
On May 30, 1858, he was married to Miss Martha Cannon and began housekeeping in West Union. He moved to Locust Grove from West Union in 1860 and has resided there ever since. From 1860 to 1865, he kept hotel in the property formerly occupied by Mrs. Jeremiah Cannon. In 1865, he took the present Eylar Hotel and conducted it until his death. For some time after returning to Locust Grove he carried on farming.
He was Justice of the Peace of Franklin Township from 1875 to 1878 and from 1881 to 1896. He was the father of nine children, as follows: Jennie, married James C. Copeland and resides in Locust Grove; Oliver Rodney, physician, located at Cynthiana. Pike County, Ohio. He graduated as M. D.. April 12. 1900, from Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio. He was married to Miss Lilly B. Newland in 1885. The second daughter, Hettie, married R. D. McClure and died in 1890, leaving one child. Elizabeth married Jacob Randolph Zile, Ex-Commissioner of Adams County, and a prosperous farmer. ()scar Coleman married Laura Rearick and is a farmer near Locust Grove. Ella and Ruth reside with their mother. Alverda died at the age of four years. John Randolph, the youngest, resides with his mother in the old home.
In politics, Mr. Eylar was always a Democrat. He took an active part in all the contests in which his party was engaged. He usually atteaided all the conventions and was active in the caucuses and at the polls. He had a fascination and love for political contests. He was not religious in the sense of church membership, but aimed to deal fairly with all men. He was a heavy set man, over the medium height, of a dark complexion, dark hair and broad, with a saturnine expression. While he could laugh and enjoy humor, his usual mood was serious and earnest to an unusual degree. - He was kind to his family and loyal to his friends. For his enemies he cared but little. He aimed to do the best he could for those dependent on him and that is the best any one can do. He died March 11, 1897. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Thomas William Ellison
was born at West Union, Ohio. August 11. 1859. the son of Thomas and Man- McNeilan Ellison. His grandfather. James Ellison, was born near Dublin. Ireland, December 25, 1776. and died September 5, 1865. He was a member of the royal bodyguard of the king of England for sixteen years. He was married to Mary Stewart in 1806. Thomas Ellison, father of our subject, was born in Adams County in 1822. He followed farming in his early life, eventually engaged in merchandising. He was a man of fine appearance, pleasing address, and very much liked by his acquaintances and friends. He was very popular, was a Democrat, and as such was elected Treasurer of Adams County, and served from to . When the war broke out, he went with the 70th O. V. I. as sutler. Later he located in Tunica County, Mississippi, where he engaged in cotton raising. He was also interested in the steamer Natonia, which plied on the Mississippi River. He died July 16, 1868, at West Union, Ohio.
Mary McNeilan Ellison was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, March 6, 1820. She was married to Thomas Ellison, May 29, 1843, at West Union, Ohio. They had five children, Arthur Stewart, who died August 22, 1867; Jennie, deceased wife of Isaac Boatman, of Gallia County.Ohio; Annie, widow of H. R. Bradbury, of Gallipolis, Ohio; Thomas W., the subject of this sketch, and Sarah Matilda, who died September 24, 1882. Mrs. Mary Ellison died September 16, 1898.
Our subject was reared in West Union, and received his education in the village schools. He began business life as a clerk, having charge of the dry goods store of Mauck & Bradbury, at Cheshire, Ohio, for two years. After that firm closed out, he returned to West Union and clerked for R. W. Treber for three years. In April, 1882, in company with J. W. Hook, he engaged in the real estate and insurance business at West Union under the firm name of Ellison & Hook. Some time after, he disposed of his interest in that firm to John W. McClung, and accepted the superintendency of the Wilson Children's Home, March 8, 1889, and still holds that position.
He was married at Bloomington, August 30, 1882, to Elizabeth Kirker, a native of Hamilton, Hancock County, Illinious, and a member of the well known Kirker family of Adams County. She is a daughter of George and Mary Elizabeth Baird Kirker, and a grandniece of the Hon. Thomas Kirker, once Governor of Ohio. Mrs. Ellison's parents were born, reared, and married in Adams County, but moved to Hamilton County, Illinois, and then to Kendall, County, in the same State. Mrs. Ellison has served as Matron of the Wilson Children's Home since her husband's employment as Superintendent, and it is greatly due to her labors that the, institution has reached the high standard it has among the children's homes in the country. She is a member of the West Union Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Ellison has served as a member of the West Union Council and School Board, and always has taken an active interest in public affairs. In his political views, he is a Democrat. In 1888, he took a prominent part in the organization of the Adams County Agricultural Society. He was elected its Secretary, and has held that position since its organization. It is due to his labors that the society has been so well managed and successful. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at West Union, and the Masonic Chapter at Manchester. He is a member of the Calvary Commandery. Knights Templar, at Portsmouth, Ohio. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias at West Union. He is not a member of any church, but is a believer in the Presbyterian doctrines. Mr. Ellison is a public spirited citizen, and is highly esteemed in his entire circle of acquaintances. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
John A. Eylar
One of the prominent members of the bar of Waverly, Ohio, is a native of Adams County, having been born at Youngsville, February 16, 1855. He was the fourth son of John Eylar and Ann A. Wilkins. his wife. His paternal grandfather, Joseph Eylar, of Winchester, was an Associate Judge of Adams County from 1835 to 1842. His maternal grandfather, Daniel Putnam Wilkins, was a lawyer of West Union, Ohio, but was born and reared in New Hampshire, the bluest of New England blue blood Yankees. Our subject graduated from the West Union schools, and afterwards took a course in the Adams County Normal schools. He taught for a time in the West Union schools and read law under the late John K. Billings. He was admitted to practice law at Portsmouth, April 20, 1876. He located in Waverly for the practice of the law and ever since has resided there.
In politics, he has always been a Democrat. In 1880, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Pike County, and was re-elected in 1883, serving six years in that office, in which he acquired a reputation for industry, zeal and ability in his profession. In the time he held the office, he drew no less than four hundred indictments, only one of which was ever held defective. In the same time.he collected and paid into the county treasury more forfeited recognizances than any of his predecessors. Since he retired from the Prosecutor's office, he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession and is retained in all the important litigation of his county. He was one of the attorneys for the defense in the famous case of the State against Isaac Smith, indicted for murder in the first degree, of Stephen Skidmore. and distinguished himself in the conduct of that case. He was married February id, 1887 to Lucy, daughter of John R. Douglas, and has three children.
In his practice, he first obtains a full knowledge of the facts of the case, both from his client's and his opponents' standpoints. He then investigates the law applicable to each and all theories the court might assume. He goes into court with all his cases thoroughly prepared as to law and facts, and will not file a case for a client unless he believes the chances for success are largely in his favor. Like the famous Luther Martin, of Maryland, he is "always sure of his evidence." He is naturally eloquent and one of his cotemporaries says he is the most eloquent member of the Waverly bar. In his arguments to the jury, he is magnetic. In his arguments to the court, no point escapes him. He brings them all out. He always understands his case fully before bringing it to trial. He is as zealous for a poor client as a rich one. He is of a benevolent disposition and very charitable. He is a brilliant cross-examiner. He conducts a cross-examination rapidly and pleasantly, but always with a denouement in view. Following these principles, he has already established a reputation as a lawyer and bids fair in the course of a ripe experience to be as able as any in the State. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Sherman Richard Edgington
of West Union, son of L. L. Edgington and Eliza J. Hook, was born at Bentonville, Adams County, June 24, 1869. In his boyhood he clerked during school vacation in the general grocery store of Edgington & McGovney, in West Union. After the dissolution of that firm he became a partner with his father, succeeding to the business of the old firm, where he is yet successfully engaged. June 15, 1898, he married Miss Hattie, the estimable daughter of J. W. Hedrick, of Russellville, Ohio, Our subject is one of the substantial young business men of Adams County and stands high in the community in which he resides. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Treasurer and Secretary of the Presbyterian Sabbath School. He is a member of West Union Lodge. No. 43, F. & A. M., and holds the responsible position of Treasurer of the Lodge. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Dr. Charles. W. Edington
of Blue Creek, is one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of Adams County. He is a son of Dr. T. C. Edgington and Levina Stewart, daughter of Joseph Stewart, of Sprigg Township, a soldier of the War of 1812, who died at the ripe old age of ninety-two years.
The subject of this sketch attended the public schools of Winchester, where he was born November 16, 1867, and the public schools of Bentonville. He attended the North Liberty Academy when in charge of Prof. E. B. Stivers, and afterwards the Normal University at Lebanon. Ohio. He was a successful teacher in Adams County for several years. He took a course in Starling Medical College at Columbus. Ohio, graduating in 1895. He opened an office in Rome. Adams County, that year, where he remained until 1898. After graduating in the New York Polyclinic, he located at Blue Creek, where he has a large and lucrative practice.
He is a Democrat, and served from 1889 to 1891 as Clerk of Jefferson Township, and as Coronor of Adams County from 1806 to 1808.
March 15, 1893, he married Miss Anna Case, the estimable daughter of Martin Case and Christiana Heizer. To this union have been horn Claude B. August 15, 1893, who died in infancy; Harry W. December 2. 1895. died December 4, 1896; Paul J.. April 29, 1898. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Rev. L. G. Evans, of Blue Creek
The ancestors of Rev. Evans, Thomas Evans and Elizabeth Greene, came from North Carolina to Virginia, and thence to Fleming County. Kentucky, where he was born June 18, 1838. His ancestors all lived to a ripe old age. his great-grandmother Hunt dying at the extreme age of 112 years. In 1846, he came to Adams County and remained until 1858. when he returned to Kentucky, and at the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted from Rowan County. November 20, 1861. and was mustered into the service at Lexington in the following December for three years as a private in Company F. Capt. Blue. 24th K. V. 1. Col. Hurt. He was at Shiloh, Corinth, Perryville, Knoxville, Buzzard Roost, Resaca, Peachtree Creek, Atlanta and Jonesboro, and was made Third Sergeant at Shiloh. Was honorably discharged at Covington, Ky., January 31, 1805. April 1, 1860, he married Miss Nancy E. Markwell. daughter of Joel and Esther Rice Markwell. of Rowan County. Kentucky. Two daughters were the fruit of that union, Rozella and Sallie.
Rev. Evans is a regularly ordained minister of the regular Baptist Church, but from throat trouble has not had a regular charge for some years. He is Chaplain of Bailey Post. G. A. R.. No. 910. at Blue Creek.
Andrew Henry Ellis
of West Union, is one of the best known men in Adams County. He has been in public life since his majority and enjoys a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. He is the son of Andrew Ellison, of Brush Creek, who married Harriet Collier, a daughter of Colonel Daniel Collier, a pioneer of Adams County. Our subject was born May 3, 1843. on the old Collier farm settled by Col. Daniel Collier in 1795, and selected by him as one of the prettiest situations on Ohio Brush Creek. He obtained a good education in the common schools, and worked on his father's farm until the breaking out of the Civil War. When Company D of the 24th Regiment was forming he attempted to enlist but was rejected on account of age and size. He then drove team in the service until he attained his majority, when he enlisted in Company D, 121st Ohio, and served till the close of the war. After the close of the war, he became a merchant, first at Dunkinsville and afterwards at Russellville, Brown County. He sold his store, and became Deputy Sheriff under Henry McGovney, which position he held for four years. He then clerked for Connor, Boyles and Pollard at West Union until appointed postmaster there in 1887, which position he creditably filled for four years. He then took charge of the new Palace Hotel, where he yet presides, and no landlord has more warm personal friends among the Knights of the grip, than Andy Ellison. "Once his guest, always his friend," they say.
In January, 1872, he married Lydia Truitt, by whom he has had two daughters. Kate, a beautiful and lovely child who died in 1887. and Roena, wife of Michael J. Thomas, son of Hon. H. J. Thomas of Manchester. In politics, Mr. Ellison is a Democrat of the old school, and one of the very staunchest supporters of William Jennings Bryan. He takes a humanitarian view of life and no man will go further to relieve the distressed than he. He is a member of the U. R. K. of P. at West Union. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Daniel P. W. Eylar
of West Union, son of John Eylar and Ann Wilkins, was born at Youngsville, Adams County, July 2, 1858. His father was a son of Joseph Eylar, Associate Judge of Adams County, and his mother was a daughter of Daniel P. Wilkins, once a prominent lawyer at the West Union Bar. The parents of our subject moved to West Union when he was a mere lad and there has been his home ever since. He was educated in the West Union public schools, and in his seventeenth year took up the profession of teacher in the common schools. Dike many boys in a town where there is a newspaper office, he early learned the printer's art, and after teaching several years, he with E. B. Stivers and W. F. Trotter began the publication of The Index, afterwards The Democrat Index, at West Union, in 1889. He became the editor and proprietor of the last named newspaper in 1891, and continued its publication until 1896, when it was disposed of to the publishers of The Defender.
In politics, Mr. Eylar is as he puts it "independently Democratic without any aspirations for official preferment." He does his own thinking on matters of religion as well as in politics. He was reared strictly orthodox, but after reading and careful investigation along historical and scientific lines, he became inclined to infidelity in his religious opinions, and finally agnostic with very materialistic inclinations. He was one of the "pioneers" in the world of free thought in Adams County. He is an active worker and one of the best informed members of Crystal Lodge, No. 114, K. of P., West Union. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
D. C. Eylar
was born at Locust Grove, Adams County. September 26. 1846. His father's name was Alfred A- Eylar. a son of Judge Eylar. one of the Associate Judges of Adams County. His mother's maiden name was Rebecca A. Cockerill, daughter of Gen. Daniel Cockerill, who formerly resided at what is now Seaman Station, on the C. P. & V. Railroad. She was a sister of Col. Joseph Randolph Cockerill. whose portrait and sketch appears in this work. His parents removed to Illinois in the Fall of 1856. and settled on a farm near Pontiac. Our subject had the advantages of a common school education until he was about twenty years of age. when he attended a commercial college at Peoria. Illinois, and graduated from there. On his return to Pontiac. he was employed by Duff & Cowen, bankers, and remained in their employ about a year. He was then tendered the position of Deputy County Clerk of Livingstone County, which position he accepted and served for about two years, when he again returned to the employment of Duff & Cowen. bankers, and remained with them until the Fall of 1870. In 1871, the Livingstone County National Bank was organized, and he remained with that institution for over seventeen years. His health becoming poor, he resigned as cashier of the Bank in October, 1878, and went to the Pacific coast, locating at Fair Haven, alxmt one hundred miles north of Seattle on Puget Sound. While there he was engaged in the mortgage loan business. He remained there three years and returned to Pontiac, his old position as cashier of the bank having been previously tendered him, and he at once assumed it on his return. The former president of the bank, J. M. Greenbaum. having died in February, 1887, he was soon afterwards elected president, which position he has continued to hold. This bank has been very successful. It has weathered all financial storms in times of depression. It has at all times enjoyed the confidence of the people of the community in which it is located.
Our subject was one of four children, three boys and one girl. The eldest, a son, died in infancy, before his parents left Ohio; a brother A. W. Eylar, a resident of Arizona, died about thirteen years ago; a sister, Alverda, was married to Mr. Filmore, formerly of Pontiac. They removed to California and for several years have resided at Los Angeles.
He was married to Miss Alice Hombeys, of Pontiac, Illinois, in 1870. They had one child, a daughter, who died at the age of six months in June, 1873, and in May, 1874, his wife died of consumption. He has never remarried. A friend thus writes of him:
"Mr. Eylar is a man of the strictest integrity, a warm and sympathetic friend, a good citizen, having decided political opinions, but seldom expressing them and with no desire for office, a capital business man as attested by his long connection with and now at the head of one of our strongest financial institutions, the Livingstone County National Bank. He is highly respected by our people and loved by his intimates."
George Washington Edgington
was born December 23, 1849. on Donalson Creek, in Monroe Township. Adams County, Ohio. His father, Morris Edgington, was born Adams County, near Manchester, in 1825. His mother's maiden name was Nancy Bradford, a daughter of Jacob Bradford, of Kentucky. His father and mother were born in 1845, and his grandfather, Absalom Edgington, born in Pennsylvania in 1776, located in Adams County early in 1800, and died in 1853.
Our subject was reared in Manchester, and went to school there until 1863, when his parents removed to Portsmouth and he attended school there a short time. His father returned to Manchester in 1864, and in 1866, George W. Edgington left school to begin work. He learned the stoneware business with Pettit & Burbage and afterwards with John Parks. Pettit & Burbage were succeeded in business by Arch Means, and in 1870, our subject bought out Arch Means, and conducted the business until 1876, when he sold out to Mark Penny wit, and from that time to the present, has been a steam boatman. His first venture was with the Handy No. I in the Maysville trade. He ran her a year and then she was destroyed in the ice. This discouraged him somewhat and he sold the wreck of the Handy No. 1 and went to farming for two years in Kentucky, at tire end of which he sold his farm for thirty acres of land in the west end of Manchester and lived on it. However, the career of farming was too slow for him, and in 1878, he went on the Fleetwood as watchman and second mate. He remained on her for two years, when he bought a third interest of the steamboat John Kyle and put her in the Vanceburg and Portsmouth trade for one season. He sold his interest in her in the Fall and went on the New Handy No. 1 as pilot. He was on her and along the side of the Phaeton when it blew up in June, 1881, in which explosion eight persons were killed and he was one of the injured. Afterwards, he went on the steamboat Return, in the Manchester and Portsmouth trade, as pilot, in 1881. He also piloted the Maysville ferry-boat for a few months, and then went as pilot of the Clipper, and ran her from Ripley to New Richmond for a short time. He then bought the Katy Prather from James Foster, and made her a packet, and ran her from Maysville to Manchester from 1883 to 1888. In 1888, he built the Silver Wave. That was a prosperous year for him. He sold the Silver Wave to Captain Webb for seven thousand dollars, having made four thousand dollars in fourteen months. In 1890, he bought the M. P. Wells for $8,300, and rebuilt her in 1897, and now runs her from Portsmouth to Cincinnati, leaving Portsmouth every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 10:30 A. M., and leaving Cincinnati every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5 P. M. In 1894, he bought the Reliance of Captain A. W. Williamson, and ran her in the Portsmouth and Rome trade. She was sunk at Higginsport on the twenty-fifth of July, 1895. In 1892, he bought the Bellevue, and made her a tow-boat between Buena Vista and Cincinnati until 1895. He sold her for the Silver Wave, rebuilt her and kept her in the Vanceburg and Maysville trade until July, 1897, when she was burned up, lying at the bank for repairs. The M. P. Wells ran from Augusta to Maysville and connected with the Silver Wave. From the wreck of the Silver Wave he built the William Duffie, and sold her to Michael Duffie, at Marietta, for the Rob Roy. He bought the Charles B. Pearce in 1899 and rebuilt her. She is now engaged in the Portsmouth and Cincinnati trade, leaving Portsmouth at 10:30 A. M. on each Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Cincinnati each Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday at 5 P.M.
Our subject is master of the Charles B. Pearce. He was married December 20, 1869, to Nannie E. Scott, daughter of Andrew Scott. His eldest son, John Emery, is the master of the steamboat M. P. Wells; his son. Arch D., is pilot of the M. P. Wells and his son, Robert W., is clerk. His son, Andrew Morris, is pilot on the Charles B. Pearce: his daughter, Edna Mary, is the wife of Edwin Smith, of Augusta. Kentucky, who is clerk on the steamer Pearce; his daughter, Estella, is the wife of Robert Hedges, clerk on the M. P. Wells. His two youngest sons. Earnest, aged nine years, and Roy. aged six, are at the family home in Augusta, Kentucky.
In politics. Captain Edgington is a Republican. He is one of the most energetic, industrious men. anywhere in the river trade. He has operated independent lines of boats between Portsmouth and Cincinnati since 1876. He has been able to obtain the good will of all the people along the river and make money, in face of the great opposition of the White Collar Line. As a steam boatman, he has been very successful and his career will compare favorably with that of Captain William McClain, who. in his day. was designated as the prince of all steam boatmen of his time, or any other time, since the first steamboat went down the Ohio in 1811. Captain Edgington will not. however, be content with the title given Captain McClain. or with a reputation equal to his. If he lives and has even fair luck, he will go down to posterity as the most famous steam boatman of his time, or any other time, and he will have his whole family and his posterity in the same business. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Edward Frederick William Erdbrink
liveryman and transfer agent at Manchester. Ohio, was born in Baltimore. Maryland, September 23 1864. His father, Herman Erdbrink, was born in Hanover, Germany, as well as his mother. Caroline Schnitker. They were married in Germany in 1815. and came directly to the United States on their wedding trip. They located in Baltimore. Maryand. Mr. Erdbrink's father was an exporter of tobacco for the German government. Just before leaving Germany, he obtained a contract from the imperial government for furnishing the government with tobacco for five years: and came to this country to purchase and send it to Germany. His contract was by the pound, and he shipped over five thousand hogsheads of tobacco each year. He retained the contract by renewals, until his death in 1871. in New York City, where he dropped dead on the street, suddenly. His family were residing in Baltimore at that time, and ;he mother of our subject is still living in that city.
Our subject was the fifth child of six children. He was educated in the German Lutheran schools of Baltimore. Maryland, until the age of thirteen. He attended the Public schools for one year and then left school. At the age of fifteen he went to clerking in Baltimore, and remained in that work until 1884. He then undertook to travel over the western part of the United States as a salesman of rubber goods, and remained in that business for fourteen years. He came to Manchester on business in 1891, and made that his home thereafter. He was married in Manchester, on the thirtieth of January 1892. to Miss Icie Stivers, daughter of Lyman P. Stivers, a former sheriff of the county.
He bought out the Trent Brothers' livery business, and from that time gave his attention exclusively to the livery business. He bought out the Perry and Swearingen stables in December, 1899, and consolidated their business with his own. He. now has what is known as the Lang Stable, with the most complete livery in town. He has the transfer agency for the C. & O. Railroad, and takes passengers and baggage to and from the station in Kentucky. He has two children, Lorena Matilda, aged seven; and Carl Wayne, aged four. In his political views, he is a Republican. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church. He is a Knight of Pythias in the subordinate lodge and in the uniform rank. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on the twentieth of July, 1816. His father was John Ebrite. a German, and his mother was Catherine McElroy, of Irish descent. He emigrated to Adams County when a young man. He received a common school education. He was born and reared a Democrat but identified himself with the old Abolition party, and after the abolition of slavery, he became a Republican. He has been a Trustee of his Township for a number of years. He has been a member of the Methodist Church since 1840 and has been a steward nearly all of that time.
He married Rachel Cooper on December 23. 1841. He has three sons and four daughters. His sons are John W., Albert Q., William T., and one daughter. Effie Sydney, who resides at home. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Nelson Wiley Evans
one of the editors of this work, came into the present world June 4, 1842, at Sardinia. Brown County. Ohio. His father was Edward Patton Evans, who was then a lawyer practicing in Brown and Highland Counties. His mother was Amanda Jane King, born June 20, 1824. His father resided in Sardinia until April, 1847. when he removed to West Union. Adams County, to practice his profession. Our subject resided in West Union from that time until the Fall of 1860. He went through the usual experiences of boyhood, enjoyed all its pleasures and endured its sorrows. As a schoolboy, he showed a disposition to take life seriously, which has followed him all his life.
In the fall of 1860, he attended North Liberty Academy, and in January, 1861. he entered the Freshman class of Miami University, half advanced. He remained in that school until June, 1863, when he enlisted in the 129th O. V. I. He was made First Lieutenant of Company G in that regiment, and with it marched to Cumberland Gap. which was taken by capitulation from the Rebel General Frazier on September 9, 1863. His regiment was attached to the Second Brigade, Second Division. Ninth Army Corps, under General Ambrose E. Burnside. He participated in the campaign in East Tennessee against Longstreet. On March 8, 1864, the regiment was mustered out, and he returned to Miami University, where he graduated in June, 1864. On the eighteenth of September, 1864. he was appointed Adjutant of the 173rd O. V. I., and joined his regiment at Nashville, Tenn. The regiment performed duty about Nashville until the time of the battle, when it was placed in the second line for the attack on Montgomery Hill. Owing to the first line moving the rebels, his command was only exposed to a dropping fire. Prior to the battle of Nashville, Mr. Evans was promoted to a captaincy of his regiment, and during the siege of Nashville by Gen. Hood, and during the battle, was adjutant of a brigade. After the battle of Nashville, his regiment was sent to Columbia, Tennessee, and from there to Johnsonville, Tennessee, where it performed the duty of gathering stragglers from the Rebel army, and took them to Nashville as prisoners of war. During the time the regiment was at Johnsonville, Captain Evans was detailed as Acting Assistant Adjutant General. At the close of the war, he resumed the studies of the law and on October, 1865, he entered the Cincinnati Law School. He remained there until April, 1866, when he was admitted to the bar by the District Court of Hamilton County. He located in Portsmouth, Ohio, on August 1, 1866, and has remained there ever since.
On September 9, 1868, he was married to Miss Lizzie Henderson, of Middletown, Ohio. He was a School Examiner of the county for two and a half years. He was City Solicitor of Portsmouth, Ohio, from 1871 to 1875, Register in Bankruptcy of the Eleventh District of Ohio from 1870 to 1878, and a member of the Board of Education of the city of Portsmouth for ten years. He is one of the Trustees of Miami University, and a vestryman of All Saints Episcopal Church. For nine years he has been a Trustee of the Children's Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church, at Cincinnati. He has two daughters, Gladys and Muriel. In politics, he is and always has been a Republican.
A friend who had known Mr. Evans since 1871 speaks of him as follows: "Captain Evans is one of the foremost attorneys at the Portsmouth bar, and has a large and lucrative practice. He is an indefatigable worker and in the preparation of his cases for trial, makes himself thoroughly familiar with every detail and fights to the last in the interest of those he represents. He is a good counsellor, a safe and a careful business and commercial lawyer. In his intercourse with his fellow men he is frank, open, courteous, accommodating and always true to his friends. His intimate associates are those who like him best. Socially he stands high, and his honesty and integrity make him respected by all. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]