Rev. Emile Grand-Girard
was born at Hericourt, France, June 4. 1816. He was of Huguenot parentage. His ancestors, firm in the Protestant faith, fled to Switzerland at the time of the St. Bartholomew massacre in 1572.
When about fourteen years of age, Mr. Grand-Girard went to Strasburg, where he pursued his studies under private instructors, preparatory to entering the Polytechnic School (one of the French Government Schools) of Applied Sciences.
He came with his family to the United States in 1833, landing in Cincinnati, Ohio. For a few years he followed his profession of architectural designer in Cincinnati, New Orleans, and other cities in the South.
On December 31. 1840. he was married to Miss Georgiana Herdman. at Bowling Green, Kentucky, who was descended from Francis McKarry, the first Presbyterian minister settled in the Colonies. From this marriage were born two sons and two daughters.
In 1844, Mr. Grand-Girard decided to enter the ministry and studied theology under Rev. Samuel Steel. D. D., of Hillsboro. Ohio. He was licensed in 1846 and ordained to the full work of the ministry the year following by the Presbytery of Chillicothe. He preached at different times to the French Church at Mowrystown, Marshall. Rocky Spring and Red Oak. preaching in the latter place in connection with Mowrystown for a little more than eleven years.
In 1866, he removed to Hillsboro, Ohio, where, in connection with bis sister. F.milie L. Grand-Girard, he engaged in the management of Highland Institute, a ladies' seminary and boarding school. The institute was very successful, and from it were graduated large classes of young ladies who have since filled places of much usefulness in many homes and circles of society.
In 1875, he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Kingston, Ohio, where he labored for six years.
In 1881, he took charge of the Presbyterian Church of Eckmansville, Adams County, where he remained until his decease in December, 1887, rounding out his active service of over forty-one years in the Gospel ministry. During the War of the Rebellion. Mr. Grand-Girard, having learned military tactics in the old country, drilled several companies for the Union Army. At the time of the Morgan Raid through Ohio, a regiment was made up from Brown and adjoining counties and Mr. Grand Girard was appointed by the Governor, Colonel of the same.
He was a man of unblemished character. Firm in his adherence to the right as became a son of the Huguenots, he was at the same time, gentle and charitable. Possessed of all the grace and suavity of his native people, he was a perfect gentleman and most agreeable companion. He was an earnest preacher of the Gospel, a faithful and beloved pastor. He filled an honorable and useful place in the world and earned the reward of the loved and faithful. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
H. Allen Gaskins
of Manchester, Ohio, was born at Sardinia. Brown County, Ohio. January 19, 1857, the son of Dr. John and Mary (Woods) Gaskins, of Bentonville, Ohio. Thomas Gaskins. his grandfather, was a native of West Virginia, and when a young man, started "out West," coming down the river in a keel boat. He was taken suddenly ill and put ashore at Nine Mile, in Clermont County. On recovering his health, he became so favorably impressed with the neighborhood that he decided to stay. The chief attraction, however, was doubtless. Miss Phoebe Ward, whom he married. John Gaskins, their son and father of our subject, studied medicine and located at Sardinia, where he practiced his profession until 1859, when he removed to Youngsville. Adams County, where he remained until 1861, finally settling at Bentonville. where he continued the practice of medicine until recently, when he retired and went to his farm in Sprigg Township. Our subject attended the Bentonville schools until the age of twenty-one. On March 14, 1877, he was married to Mary C. Roush, daughter of William Roush, of Sprigg Township. Their children are William, a graduate of the Manchester High School. Class of 1899. and Carrie and Aaron, all at home. Mr. Gaskins served as School Director in Bentonville for nine years, and has held the offices of Treasurer and Assessor in Sprigg Township. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has served as delegate to the State and County Conventions on several occasions. He is a member of the Knights of Phythias at Manchester, Ohio, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 570, at West Union, and of No. 43, Free and Accepted Masons, of West Union. He united with the Christian Church at Union in 1887, and in 1893, began studying for the ministry. He was admitted to the Southern Ohio Christian Conference as a Iicentiate minister in October, 1896, and was regularly ordained by the same Conference, March 25, 1899. At present he is pastor of the churches at Eagle Creek and Stout's Run and is Vice-President of the Ministerial and Sabbath School Institute. Since 1897, he has given his entire attention to the ministry. He is an untiring student, and, by earnest application, has won for himself a place among the ablest men of the Southern Ohio Christian Conference, of which he is a member. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James Taylor Gaston
The origin of the name is French. In that language, it is properly spelled "Gastineau." The ancestors of our subject came from France and located in South Carolina. They were French Protestants or Huguenots. His father was James Gaston and his mother's maiden name was Margaret Patton, who was a daughter of Thomas Patton, a native of Rockbridge County, Virginia, though he emigrated to Ohio, settled on West Fork and died there. His grandfather Gaston was from Charleston, South Carolina. His grandmother Gaston was a McCreight, born in South Carolina. His paternal grandfather came to Ohio in 1800 on account of his antagonism to the institution of slavery. He settled on a farm near Tranquility, now owned by our subject. His grandfather, father, and himself were all members of the United Presbyterian Church of Tranquility, and he has lived near that place all his life. He went to the District schools until he went in the army. He enlisted in Company G, of the 129th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at the age of eighteen, on the eighteenth of July, 1863, and served until the eighth of March, 1864. On the fourth of February, 1865, he enlisted in Company K, of the 188th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was made a Corporal. He was mustered out in September, 1865. After the war, he attended the North Liberty Academy until 1867, and in the Fall of 1868, he engaged in the profession of school teaching and has followed that consecutively for twenty-eight years, having only given up the profession in 1896.
He was married on March 21, 1871, to Sarah Wallace. They have four sons: Roscoe, born in 1873. is principal of the schools at Donavan, Illinois; Carey, born in 1875, a teacher in the Weaver Academy at Media, Illinois: John M., born in 1876. attending school at Danville. Illinois, and Homer, born in 1882, at home with his parents.
Mr. Gaston was clerk of his township for eight years and Township Trustee for three years. He was elected Infirmary Director in 1867 and still holds that office. He is a man of the highest character and universally respected. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Erastus Monteith Gaston, M. D.
of Tranquility, Ohio, was born November 10, 1849, at that place. His father's name was Daniel Gaston and his mother's maiden name was Mary Kirker Kane. His father was a Justice of the Peace of Scott Township from 1853 to 1865. The boyhood and youth of our subject was spent on his father's farm. He worked in Summer and studied in Winter. At the age of fourteen, he attended the North Liberty Academy under Dr. David McDill, for three years. He taught school one term and then began the study of medicine with David McBride. M. D., and continued with him for three years. He attended lectures at the Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1869 and 1870, and in 1871 he attended the Miami Medical College, and graduated in 1871. He began the practice of medicine at Staunton, in Fayette County, Ohio, and remained there one year. He then located in Tranquility, where he has remained ever since and has enjoyed a large and lucrative practice all that time. He has always had the confidence and patronage of the leading citizens of his community.
In politics he has always been a Republican and taken an active interest. In 1891, he was appointed one of the Pension Examining Surgeons of Adams County, and served until the close of President Harrison's administration. In 1899, he was reappointed to the same office, which he is now holding. In 1899, he was the Republican candidate for Treasurer of Adams County and was beaten by only nineteen votes by Henry Gaffin. At the age of fourteen, he united with the United Presbyterian Church in Tranquility, and in 1874 was made a ruling elder. He was married to Nancy J. Brown, daughter of Jacob N. Brown, late of Cincinnati. Their children are David N. Gaston, of Eden, Illinois; John J. Gaston, of Roddy, Tennessee; Charles O. Gaston, of Tranquility, and Mary Edna Gaston.
As a physician, Doctor Gaston has great ability, recognized both by his medical brethren and by the public. He possesses the highest character for morality and integrity and enjoys the esteem and respect of all who know him. We asked a Republican friend of his to give us a character estimate of him and we give the answer verbatim, as follows:
"Dr. Gaston is a Christian gentleman in the highest and truest meaning of the term. His personal conduct is above reproach. In his dealings with his fellow men he is most kind and considerate. There is no favor he would withhold from a friend and he would scorn to do even an enemy an injustice." Being all the above, he could be nothing else than a good citizens, fearless and conscientious in the discharge of every public and private duty. All he would seek to know would be which is the right side of any question affecting public or private interests, and he would take that side without hesitation. He is a thorough believer in the principles and traditions of the Republican party and there is no right sacrifice he would not make to promote its success. In 1899, without his knowledge, he was nominated by his party for a most responsible county office, that of County Treasurer. His better judgment and inclination was to decline the nomination. Feeling that he owed it to his party to do otherwise, at great sacrifice of private interests and suffering at the time greatly on account of a broken limb, he accepted the trust, and had his party that high apprehension it should have had of the many and valuable sacrifices he was making for it, he would have been triumphantly elected.
He is a most successful physician, having a large practice in one of the best communities of his county. He is possessed of a most happy, cheerful disposition, which he takes with him into the sick room. This is almost an inspiration in itself, and in many cases it is the best medicine a physician can have for his patients. In conclusion, we believe him to be as "good an all around man" as there is in the county, and our people would be vastly better off if we had many more like him. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Robert Arthur Glasgow
of Cherry Fork, was born on the farm now owned by his brother, J. G. Glasgow, near Seaman. Ohio. May 28, 1861. He is a son of Robert A. Glasgow and Jane Smiley, both natives of Adams County. Robert Arthur Glasgow, our subject, was reared on a farm and received his education in the District schools. He was married by Rev. John S. Martin, of the U. P. Church, at Cherry Fork, October 6. 1881, to Miss Lurissa Jane Caskey, who has borne him five children, four daughters and one son. He and his family are members of the United Presbyterian Church at Cherry Fork. Mr. Glasgow owns a fine farm and is one of the most intelligent farmers of Wayne Township. His wife is a most estimable woman and is a descendant of one of the old and well known families of Adams County. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Henry Bascom Gaffin
was born September 25, 1862, at Bentonville, in Adams County. His father was Sylvanus N. Gaffin. and his mother was Jane McDaniel. His father came from New York. He attended the District schools as a boy. He began the huckstering business when but twelve years of age, and continued it for two years. He then went into the grocery business at Bentonville, clerking for William Gaffin for three years. He removed to Mineral Springs Station in 1884, and conducted a general store there for nearly ten years, at which time he moved his business to Peebles, and has conducted a general store there ever since. He is also in the livery business at Peebles, with John Sparks, under the name of Gaffin & Sparks. He went into it at the same time he opened the general store in Peebles.
In 1896, he was elected County Treasurer of Adams County over F. M. Harover, of Manchester, by 68 majority, and has been elected to a second term. He has always been a Democrat. He has been a member of the School Board and Council of Peebles. He took up his residence in 1894 in Peebles, and removed to West Union in 1898. He was married January 7, 1884. to Lilly B. Sparks, daughter of Salathiel Sparks. They have two children. Jessie, aged thirteen years and Henry Earl, aged five. He is a member of the Methodist Church of Peebles.
Mr. Gaffin is a man of unimpeachable moral character, a public spirited citizen and progressive in all his ideas. He enjoys the confidence of all those with whom he has business relations. He is actively engaged in politics, and as County Treasurer, he is regarded as one of the best who has ever held that office, old General Bradford, who held it for thirty-two years, not excepted. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]