Valentine H. Hafer
of Blue Creek, was born in Crawford County. Pa., June 28. 1832. His father was John Hafer and his mother Elizabeth Blackburn. Our subject was reared on a farm, and when twelve years of age came to Clayton. Adams County, Ohio. July 27, 1853, he married Miss Nancy Webb, daughter of Thomas and Jane Cook Webb, to whom has been borne three sons and five daughters: George F., John W., Mary J.. Sarah E., Elatha E. L., Nancy A.. James A., and Ida D. A.
August 8, 1862, he enlisted for three years at Buena Vista, Scioto County, and was mustered into the U. S. service as a private at Lima, Ohio. Company H. Capt. Henry, 81 st Regiment O. V. I. He was promoted to Corporal and then joined his regiment under Col. Morton, at Corinth, Miss. He was in many battles of the war among which may be mentioned Rome Cross Roads, Dallas, Siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro. Sherman's March to the Sea. Siege of Savannah, and Kenesaw Mountain. Was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison, July 13, 1865.
Valentine Hafer is one of the prominent men of Jefferson Township. He is an ardent Democrat in politics, and a Universalist in religion. He is now badly crippled with rheumatism contracted in the service of his country, for which disability he draws a pension. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Joseph Warren Hayslip
of West Union, Ohio, was born May 17, 1826. His father was John Hayslip, who was born near Winchester, Virginia, in 1781, and came to West Union, Adams County, Ohio, in the year 1808. His first wife was Margaret Lockhart, who bore him five sons: Isaac N., Thomas J., John J., James L., and William L., and one daughter, Mary Ann. After coming to Adams County, John Hayslip married for his second wife Lettie Campbell, a daughter of Frank Campbell. She was born at Kenton's Station, Kentucky, and was married in 1825. John Hayslip was a tailor by trade and for seven years kept the old Browning Inn, where Lew Johnson now resides. He afterwards kept hotel on Main Street, near the old public well. He was an ardent Whig, and on the day of the great Whig meeting in West Union, in 1840. he asked to be raised in his bed so as to get a view of the procession passing down Main Street, headed by Tom Corwin, the orator of the day. He died June 9, 1840. He commanded a company in the War of 1812.
Joseph W., the subject of this sketch, was a son of John Hayslip and Lettie Campbell. He was born in West Union, May 17, 1826, and received the rudiments of a common school education, the most of his teaching coming from old 'Squire Ralph McClure. He served an apprenticeship with Peter R. Jones, of Maysville, at cabinet making, which, together with that of millwright, has been his occupation through life.
On December 25, 1849. ne married Lemira E. Montgomery, daughter of Nathaniel Montgomery and Priscilla Rounsavell. July 18, 1861, he enlisted in the 24th Regiment, O. V. I., Col Jacob Ammen, as member of the Regimental Band, for three years. Was at Cheat Mountain, Greenbrier, Shiloh and Corinth. Organized Second Independent Battery, Light Artillery, in 1864, and was stationed at Johnson Island, Ohio. Was charter member of De Kalb Lodge, No. 138. I. O. O. F., West Union. First vote cast for Zachariah Taylor as a Whig. Was a Republican from organization of that party. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Charles Napoleon Hall
was born December 2, 1839. His father was James H. Hall and his mother. Louisa Shelton. His father was born in Brown County, near Logan's Cap. His mother was also born in Brown County. His grandfather. Elisna Hall, came from Philadelphia and settled in Mason County, Kentucky, in 1798, and removed into Brown County in 1800. He was lost on a keel boat on the way to New Orleans in 1815. His father moved to Adams County in 1838 and engaged in farming and trading. His surviving children are, our subject; William S., residing at Fredonia, Kansas; Elisha, residing at Langdon, Mo.; Phoeba, the wife of Benjamin Johnson, of Rarden, Ohio; Susan, wife of George Shively, of Aspinwall, Neb.; Mary, wife of Newton Robinson, of Rarden, Ohio; James H., of St. Deroin. Neb.; George H., of Camp Creek, Pike County, Ohio.
The father of our subject was Trustee of Green Township, and of Jefferson Township for many years. He was a Whig and afterward a Republican. He was born February 22, 1815, and died May 6, 1899, at St. Deroin, Neb. His wife was born July 8, 1818. and died December 23, 1870. They were married March 31, 1836. Their family was born and raised near Rome, Adams County, where their mother died.
Our subject was married January 24. 1861, to Calista A. Wikoff. daughter of John Wikoff. Their children are John W. of McGaw. Ohio; Eldora, wife of Philip Moore, of Vanceburg, Ky.; William A., of Langdon, Mo.; Charles N., of McGaw; Margaret, wife of Henry Conner, or Zarah, Kansas. She died May 24, 1899, leaving four children.
Charles N. Hall enlisted in Company I, 91st O. V. I.. August 9, 1862, and was made Sargeant of the company. He v as appointed First Sergeant. October 28, 1862; promoted to Second Lieutenant on the second of February, 1864, and to First Lieutenant on November 3. 1864. and was discharged March 21, 1865. He was wounded at the battle of Opequan, September 19, 1864. He was shot through the hip and reported mortally wounded.
He served as Clerk of the Courts of Adams County from 1866 to 1869, and was a Justice of the Peace for Greene Township, one term, 1880 to 1883. Mr. Hall has been a Republican all his life. He is a man of generous impulses and very much devoted to his friends, a jolly and companionable man. His army record is not given because it is a part of the history of the 91st O. V. I., but it is such that he is proud of it and that his posterity will be. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Paul Howard Haisha
was born August 19, 1859, in Harshaville, Adams County. His father was William Buchannan Harsha and his mother, Rachel Mclntire, daughter of General William Mclntire. He was the second son of his parents. He attended the District school in the vicinity of his home and at one time attended the Normal school at West Union, taught by Prof. W. A. Clarke. He learned the practical business of milling from his father. From the time he arrived at the age of twenty-one years, until 1884. he was employed in his father's mill at Harshaville, and had charge of the entire milling operations. In 1884, he took an interest with his father, under the firm name of Harsha & Son, which has continued to the present time.
On January 11, 1884, he was married to Miss Ada Barnard, of Cincinnati. He resided at Harshaville from 1884 until 1892, when he removed to the city of Portsmouth. Ohio. In 1889, he formed a partnership with John P. Caskey, under the firm name of Harsha & Caskey. and built a mill in the east end of the city of Portsmouth, and that business has continued to the present time. He was in Portsmouth from August, 1889, hut did not remove his family there until April, 1892. He is the father of four children: Edith Armstrong, aged fourteen years; Elizabeth Lucille, aged twelve years; William Howard, aged ten years, and Philip Barnard, aged eight years.
He and his wife are members of the Second Presbyterian Church in the city of Portsmouth. He has always been a Republican. He has never held any public office except that of member of the City Council of Portsmouth, Ohio. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Daniel Huston Harsha
was born in Washington County. Pa., May 9. 1837. He came with his father to Adams County, in 1846. In 1853 and 1854, Rev. James Arbuthnot, James Wright and he conducted the North Liberty Academy. From 1854 to 1857, he attended Jefferson College at Cannonsburg, Pa., and graduated from that institution in the latter year. From 1859 to 1860, he again conducted the North Liberty Academy. Since the latter date he has carried on farming on the farm originally the property of his father. Mr. Harsha has shown himself a successful farmer and business man. He is prudent, careful and conservative in all business transactions and his excellent judgment has enabled him at most times to be on the safe side of the market.
While a Republican in his political sentiments, he has never sought or held public office. His tastes are those of a diligent student of literature. While he has decided views on all the subjects he has studied, he has been content with the pleasures of rural life and has never sought to obtrude his views on others.
He has, perhaps, obtained as much enjoyment out of this life as those who have made it their mission to antagonize others. Had he lived in the days of the Greek Philosophers, he would undoubtedly have founded a school whose teachings would have been for each to do the best for himself and leave others to their own enjoyment, but as he did not and does not live in the days in which every kind of philosophy was in fashion, he simply lives up to the principles without giving it a name or public notoriety. The principles he has lived by have made him a useful, honored and honorable citizen, a valuable unit of our great country and whose record, when sealed by death, will demonstrate that the world was better by his ministry in it and to it. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Louis D. Holmes
the eldest son of John and Elizabeth (Traber) Holmes, was born July 24, 1847, one mile north of West Union, Adams County, Ohio. Until he reached his nineteenth year, he resided with his father, attending school and assisting the latter in farming and carrying on a saw mill. He attended school in the old stone schoolhouse in the lower district of West Union. He early displayed a taste for books and learning, and made rapid advances in every study he undertook. In 1866, he left the common schools and entered the Sophomore class at Miami University, from which institution he graduated in 1868. While in the common schools, he commenced the study of engineering and surveying and assisted in laying about the first macadamized road in Adams County built by the county. At the age of sixteen years, he obtained a certificate of equalification as a teacher in the common schools and acted as a County School Examiner when only eighteen years of age.
After his graduation from Miami University, he taught two terms of school at Red Oak, Brown County, Ohio, where he met and became acquainted with Miss Callie Campbell, whom he afterwards married and who was the youngest daughter of the Hon. Alexander Campbell, one of the most prominent citizens of Brown County. Mr. Holmes had determined to study law before he entered Miami University, and conducted his reading with reference to that. In April, 1869, his father moved to Mercer County, Illinois, near Aledo. Here he completed his law studies with the Hon. I. N. Barrett, and was admitted to the bar of Illinois in August, 1871. He begun the practice of his profession at Aledo, and in May, 1872, was married to Miss Callie Campbell, before mentioned. They went to housekeeping in Aledo, and continued their residence there twelve years.
Mr. Holmes was appointed Master in Chancery in Mercer County and held the office three terms. He devoted his whole time, after that, to his profession, but he also found time to interest himself in public affairs. He was identified with the village government and a member of the School Board of Aledo. Under his advice, the whole plan of the management of the public schools was changed and the schools of Aledo were, under such plan, reputed to be the best in the State.
In May, 1884, Mr. Holmes located in Omaha, Nebraska, and engaged in his profession there. His specialties are equity and real estate law. He has published a series of articles on "lis pendens," and another upon "Nebraska Mortgages." He has also published a work on "Real Estate Mortgages and their Foreclosure." Mr. Holmes has four children. Mrs. Holmes possesses an artistic talent and has produced several drawings and paintings of merit. Mr. Holmes and his family are ardent Baptists and have always led in the activities of that church. For two years he was President of the Nebraska Baptist Convention, and also President of the Educational Convention. He is now President of the Omaha Baptists Social Mission and of the Nebraska Children's Home Society. a large and prosperous organization. Mr. Holmes is now in the prime of life and enjoys the promises of many years of activity, which he hopes to spend for the betterment- of his fellow men.
A gentleman of high standing, in Mercer County, says of him that he is held in high esteem by the people of Mercer County; that he was a pillar in the Baptist Church and a leader of all church charitable enterprises. Mr. Holmes was always a student and up-to-date in his practice, zealous to his client and faithful in the discharge of all his duties, officially and otherwise. He held an excellent practice in Mercer County and especially in chancery cases. A friend of his in Omaha says that he is a lawyer of ability and has a reputation as an agreeable and painstaking member of his profession. That he has been engaged in a number of lawsuits of more than ordinary importance. He is a close student of the law and is very much devoted to his profession. Besides this, he has, for years, taken a great interest in philanthropic and humanitarian work, especially in regard to the Children' Home Society of Nebraska, of which he is president. His will, energy, disposition and talents make his a leader in any community in which he makes his home. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Thomas Jefferson Holmes
was born in Adams County, Ohio, February 9, 1860, and resided there until his ninth year when his father removed to Aledo, Illinois. He acquired a thorough education in the common schools of Ohio and Illinois and in the University of Illinois. He began the study of law in 1883 and graduated from the Union Law College of Chicago, in 1885. with high honors. He began the practice of his profession at once in the city of Chicago, and by his thorough legal qualifications, honesty and integrity, he has acquired a lucrative practice and enjoys the respect and confidence of all those who know him. He was Assistant Corporaton Counsel of Chicago from May I, 1895, to May 1, 1897, and was assigned to the duty of trying special assessment and condemnation cases, and while so engaged had many other important cases. He served on the Finance Committee of the Chicago Law Institute for several years, and, in 1899, was made its president. He was elected Treasurer of the Chicago Bar Association in 1896 and since then has been twice elected to the same office. During his incumbency of this office, the debt of the association has been largely reduced, and through his skillful financial management, the institution is in a prosperous condition.
Mr. Holmes is active in a number of political, social and fraternal organizations of Chicago, notable among which are the Hamilton Club and the Midlothian County Club. He is a thirty-second degree Mason. In politics he is a staunch Republican, and has always been an active worker and leader in his party.
In 1892, he was married to Miss Grace Blood, of Santa Cruz, California. They have one daughter, Devoe. Mr. Holmes is a thorough business lawyer and has a large practice in real estate and chancery cases. His offices are at No. 512 Ashland Block, Chicago. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Oscar E. Hood
Oscar Elmer Hood, son of John P. and Sarah J. Hood, was born September 14, 1861, at West Union, Adams County, Ohio. He received his education in the West Union Public schools and Normal schools. While in his teens he learned the printing trade with C. E. Irwin, editor of the Adams County New Era. After working at this trade for several years, he began teaching in the country schools of Adams County: he afterwards taught for several years in the graded schools of West Union. He held a five years' teacher's certificate, the highest county certificate granted at that time. In the Fall of 1893, he retired from the teachers' profession to go into the business of photography in West Union. He has reached the highest eminence in his chosen profession and is recognized as being among the best photographers in the State. He was married at West Union, Adams County, Ohio, February 19, 1896, to Mrs. Sallie D. Woodworth, nee Hilebronner, whose father came to this country from Germany in 1835. One child, Hubert Harold, has been born to them. Mr. Hood started a milliner store in September, 1897, in West Union, and is now engaged in both photography and millinery.
He is quite an active worker in the lodges. He is a member of Dart Encampment, No. 219, at West Union, of which order he has passed through all the chairs. He has been a prominent member of West Union Lodge, I. O. O. F., for several years and has held all the offices of the order. He is also a member of Wamsutta Tribe, No. 162, I. O. R. M., at West Union, Ohio, in which he has held all the offices. He has been twice elected representative to the State Great Council of this order. He is a member of the Christian Union Church, and in this, as in everything else in which he has been engaged, he is an active worker.
As a citizen Mr. Hood takes an active part in local affairs. He is a man of decided opinions, and having once made up his mind on any subject, does not change his opinions for frivolous reasons. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
James N. Hook
was born on a farm near the Ebenezer Church on the line between Adams and Brown Counties, November 22, 1882. His father's name was William, who, with his father, James, and two brothers of his father, John and Zaddock, their families and worldly belongings, left Snow Hill on the eastern shore of Maryland, in the Spring of 1809, and crossing the Chesapeake Bay and the Appalachian Mountains, came to Pittsburg. From that point, they passed down the Ohio River and landed at Maysville, where they crossed over to the Ohio side and settled near the place above mentioned. Here they purchased land and began the building of houses and barns, and in time were able to surround themselves with the comforts and conveniences of the farmers of the country districts of Southern Ohio. These people could all read, write and cipher, but knew nothing of the nativity of their ancestors, and it is probable that they had lived for generations near the place from whence they emigrated. William Hook married Elizabeth Neal, and the subject of this sketch was the eldest of a number of children born to them. His education was obtained in the country school of the district where they lived, except for a term or two, when he was a pupil of William McCalla. who taught a select school at Manchester, and who. in his day. was one of the leading educators of this part of Ohio. From Mr. McCalla, he learned surveying, which he followed, more or less, all his life.
When quite young, he commenced teaching school which occupied a part of his time for a number of years until his marriage to Sarah J. Baird, a daughter of Joshua and Susan Baird. which occurred November 5, 1846, near Bentonville, Ohio, the Rev. John P. Van Dyke performing the ceremony. Seven children were born of this marriage. Joshua B.. who died in the service of his country, in the War of the Rebellion. December 25. 1864: Robert N.. William H.. Elizabeth Susan. John W.. Benjamin F.. and Sarah Jane. But two of these survive. William H.. and John W. Hook. After his marriage, he followed fanning most of the remainder of his life.
In 1846, he was elected Surveyor of Adams County, which office he held for three years. In 1851, he was elected Clerk of the Courts, holding that office for one term. During this time he was admitted to the bar but was never an active practitioner. He was a candidate for re-election on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated, this being the Know-nothing year of 1854, when that party swept everything before it.
While living on his farm, one mile west of West Union, on January 19. 1860. his wife died, and on September 3, 1860, he married Martha Jane Brawner, of West Union. Eight children were born of the marriage, five of whom are now living, James N., Joseph, May, Sara and Anna Lou.
In 1864, he was elected County Auditor on the Republican ticket and re-elected in 1866, after which he again resumed the business of farming:, having; purchased the James Anderson farm, one mile east of West Union. He died on his farm in Franklin Township. September 15, 1885, and at that time was a Justice of the Peace of the Township. His wife survived him three years, having died September 6, 1888.
James N. Hook was a shrewd politician. He could anticipate what would please the public better than any man of his time. Had his ambition been equal to his sagacity and foresight, he might have held some of the best offices in the land. There was no better judge of human nature than he, but while he could tell all his friends what was best to do, he was unwilling to avail himself of his own knowledge. He was one of the most sociable and companionable of men, and was universally liked by his neighbors. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
was born in Adams County, November 30, 1820, the son of Thomas Holmes and Margaret McClannahan, his wife, and was one of a large family of sons and daughters. His father was a stern man with much of the iron bound New England Puritan in his make up, and hence the son John was indoctrinated in that school. He was taught economy and was born with a wonderful energy inherited from a long line of ancestors and the same trait was also cultivated in him by his father. He was taught the dignity and importance of labor, and no man ever lived in Adams County who worked harder, more hours in the twenty-four, or with more energy than John Holmes. He believed for himself and those who worked for him in securing more results in the same time than any of his neighbors. He was born with a thirst for knowledge, which was never quenched in his long life. Whatever about him, which could be learned, whether from books or from men, he- learned it. In boyhood, he travelled six miles to a school, morning and evening and thought nothing of it. He soon qualified himself as a teacher and taught Winter terms after becoming of age. His salary was sixteen dollars per month and board. July 22, 1846, he was married to Elizabeth Treber, daughter of Jacob Treber, one of the pioneers of the county. She brought into the life partnership the same sterling qualities he possessed, energy, economy, and a determination to succeed. They located on a farm on Lick Fork, known as the "Hilling Place," which he had bought for $1.60 per acre. Here their two eldest children were born. In 1851, they moved two miles east of West Union on the Peebles road, and here Mr. Holmes carried on a saw mill and a farm. They resided in this home eighteen years, and here eight more children were born to them. Mr. Holmes was an ambitious man, not only for himself but for his children, and he felt there were greater rewards for him and them in the fertile prairies of Illinois, and in the Spring of 1869, he removed with his family to a farm in Mercer County, Illinois. Mr. Holmes and his wife, while residing in Adams County, were faithful members of the regular Baptist Church and trained their children in the same. Mr.. Holmes was a citizen respected by all who knew him and performed every duty he owed society, or any part of it. He was very fond of argument and discussion, for the reason that in that way he learned to look at all sides of a question. If he could add anything to his store of knowledge, it pleased him just as much as though he had secured a sum of money.
He was a good conversationalist, and all who spent any time in his companionship were benefited. He was a close student of politics and of business and desired to be completely informed about them. From his majority in 1841 until 1856, he was a Whig and became a Republican when that party was formed and adhered to it the remainder of his life. He was anti-slavery from the time he was of age. He helped fugitives on their way from their bonds in obedience to the "higher law," and in defiance of human law. In Illinois, he was a prosperous farmer and stock raiser and lived the same useful life he had lived in Adams County.
John Holmes was a successful man, made money and accumulated property. Living according to the principles he did, it could not have been otherwise. He never forgot his old friends in Adams County and was always delighted to visit the home of his childhood, youth and manhood. He died on the sixth day of January, 1896, beloved and respected by all who knew him. His wife, born March 12, 1824, died March 24, 1897. The best commentary on the life of John Holmes and that of his wife is in their children, eight, of whom five sons and three daughters survive them. The eldest son, Louis D., is a distinguished lawyer in Omaha. Neb.; Thomas J., is an active and prominent lawyer in Chicago, Ill.; John F., Charles E., and William H., are prosperous farmers in Mercer County, Ill. The three daughters are married to excellent husbands and are women of great force of character.
John Holmes impressed the ideals of his own life on those of his sons and daughters, and in that way has conferred great blessings on posterity. At the time of his death, he had twenty-two grandchildren, all of whom are being taught the same high principles which actuated and governed his life and made him a useful and model citizen. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1800. He was the second of a family of nine children of James Harsha and Jane White, his wife. James Harsha was a farmer and resided two miles west of Cannonsburg, from the time of his marriage. When his family became large, he removed to Westmoreland County, where he resided until his father's old homestead came to be divided among his heirs, when he purchased it and occupied it until his death. He was out in the War of 1812. Paul, his son, learned the trade of brick-laying. followed it some time, and while so doing built eighteen houses in Allegheny City for one person, Squire Wright.
On May 22, 1831, he was married to Martha, a daughter of William Buchanan and his wife. Hannah Houston. Her father William and his brother John were the only children of a ship owner and Captain, whose wife was a Lady Campbell, of Glasgow, Scotland. These two boys were sent to school in Philadelphia, while their fathers, with a ship, carried on merchandising between that city and points in the Mediterranean. He sailed on one voyage to the Mediterranean from which he never returned. It is believed his vessel and crew were captured by Algerian pirates. William Buchanan carried on paper making and book binding, in or near Philadelphia, and manufactured paper on which was printed the currency used by the United States, which was made from bolts of silk bandanna handkerchiefs.
He removed to Chambersburg, Pa., where his daughter, Martha, was born, March 22, 1810, In 1812, he moved to Washington County, Pa., and engaged in farming, wool and silk raising. It is related that his daughter. Martha, at one time, chiefly tended the flock of three hundred sheep. Paul Harsha, soon after his marriage, settled on a part of the Harsha homestead, and gave his whole attention to farming.
In 1846. he came to Adams County, and purchased lands at Harshaville of Gen. Samuel Wright and son-in-law, John McCullough. There was a water grist-mill on the land and Paul Harsha added a saw-mill, both of which were kept busy while the water supply lasted. A few years after steam power was placed in the mill. In 1860, the mill was torn down and rebuilt with the best machinery obtainable at the time. Paul Harsha carried on farming, milling, and stock raising successfully up to his death, April 1, 1876.
His wife died March 22, 1884. Paul Harsha had eight children, two of whom died in infancy. They were William Buchanna, Jane, Daniel Houston, James White, Nathan Patterson and Lizzie H. James W. died at the age of seventeen. Nathan Patterson enlisted at the age of eighteen, September 15, 1862, in Capt. John T. Wilson's Company E of the 70th Regiment. Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and died October 9, 1863, at Memphis, Tenn. Lizzie H. is the wife of Carey Patton, of Denver, Colorado and has a son Paul and two daughters, Mabel and Myrtle. Paul Harsha was noted for his honesty and plain dealing. He aimed to keep and control his business entirely, and in this way was very successful.
He was possessed of a practical mind and had a wonderful sagacity to predetermine the results from any business venture. He was not a member of any church, but was a Presbyterian in his views.
William Holmes was born in Liberty Township, in Adams County, on April 29, 1802. and resided there all his life. When he was a boy and a young man he learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it in the vicinity of West Union up till 1870. He built many of the residences of West Union. He was married at the age of twenty, to Nancy N. Chaney, of Highland County. They located west of West Union on the hill overlooking the Eagle Creek valley, where they resided during their joint lives. Their children were James, Mary J.. John, Cyrena, William, George, Margaret and Nathan. Three died in infancy. There are two sons. William and Nathan, three daughters, Mary J., Cyrena and Margaret, still surviving, all of whom reside in Adams County except Cyrena, who resides in Highland County. William Holmes was a man of powerful physique and nerve. The following instance is related of him:
He was suffering from a felon on the index finger of the right hand. Dr. Wilson, who was attending him, advised amputation and the patient consented. The Doctor was nervous and could not saw the bone steadily. William Holmes took the same and separated the bone himself.
He followed his occupation of carpenter until Two years before his death, September 19, 1872. when he died suddenly of apoplexy. He was a law abiding, useful citizen, who commanded the respect of everyone. His wife, who was born October 15, 1886, died February 14, 1890. His daughter Nancy married Alex. McGovney and Cyrena married John Willit; Margaret married George W. Crawford and resides at Wrightsville, Adams County.
William Holmes, son of our subject, married three times: first, to Isabelle Satterfield. daughter of Wesley Satterfield: second, to Miss Trefts, by whom there are two children. Mrs. E. E. Crawford, of Ashland. Ky.. and George Holmes, of Shear Fork. South Dakota. His last wife was a Miss Piatt. There are six living children of this marriage. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Allen Vane Hutson
of Bentonville. was born July 12, 1818, in Sprigg Township, on the farm adjoining the one on which he now resides. His parents were Henry and Margaret Vane Hutson. Major Hutson. grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland. He located in Kentucky in 1804 on the old Daisy Plantation near Millersburg. Here he reared a family of children, five of whom lived to maturity. They were Henry, father of our subject: Henna, who married James Bishop, of Falmouth. Kentucky: Rachel, the wife of Hon. John P. Bloomhuff: Elizabeth, wife of William Stevenson, and the wife of William Hurd. The last named is the only survivor. Major Hutson removed to Adams County in 1812. He located on what is known as the Bloomhuff farm, and resided there until his death, at the age of ninety, in the year 1852. Henry Hutson, father of our subject, married Margaret Vane. who was also a native of Maryland. His daughter Margaret was born in 1804 and her father left Maryland for Ohio in 1807. Henry Hutson resided, for the greater portion of his life, on the farm in Sprigg Township, now occupied by James Froman He reared a family of five sons and two daughters, John, of West Union; Handy, deceased: Henna, married first to George Brittingham and afterward to James M. Froman: Allen V., our subject, and Thomas Hamer, of Hillsdale, Kansas. Henry Hutson was a man of the strictest integrity and of more than ordinary ability. He was a recognized leader in his community in social, church and public affairs. He was deacon, clerk and trustee of Union Church at Bentonville, for about forty years.
Our subject attended the common schools until the age of nineteen, when he became a teacher and followed that profession for ten years. Ht studied surveying under Nathaniel Massie and Jeremiah Bryan. He has Massie's old compass which belonged to Gen. Nathaniel Massie. It was brought to this country by Lord Baltimore. Mr. Hutson has an extensive knowledge of French and German and is able to enjoy the best works in each of those tongues. He was County Surveyor of Adams County from 1877 to 1880. and again from 1887 to 1893. He made a most efficient officer. Mr. Hutson is a Democrat in his political views. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
William Buchanan Harsha
is the eldest son of Paul Harsha and Martha Buchanan. Paul Harsha was born April 1, 1800, in Washington County, Pennsylvania. His wife was born in Chambersburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, March 22, 1810. Her parents removed to Washington County, Pa., in 1812, and there she was married to Paul Harsha on May 22, 1831. In 1841, they located near Harshaville in Adams County. The mill at Harshaville was then owned by Samuel Wright, but was soon after purchased by Paul Harsha. Our subject was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1832, and came to Adams County with his parents. The Harshaville mill was the first built in Oliver Township, in 1817, by Gen. Samuel Wright, who, in 1846, sold it to Paul Harsha. Our subject began work in this mill under his father in 1844, and has been there ever since. The mill had been refitted in 1847. Our subject operated the mill until 1859, when he reconstructed it and operated it until 1882, when it was refitted with new machinery. It was destroyed by fire in the Fall of 1891, and rebuilt the next Spring. It has continued in successful operation ever since.
Paul Harsha. his father, died on his birthday, April 1, 1876. Our subject conducted the mill alone until 1884, when his son, Paul Howard Harsha, became a partner and has continued as such ever since. The business is conducted under the name of W. B. Harsha & Son. At the age of twenty-one, our subject was married to Rachel, third daughter of Gen. William Mclntire. Of this marriage there were two sons, Dr. William Mclntire, of Chicago. Ills., and P. Howard Harsha, of Portsmouth, and two daughters, Mrs. Anna McCalmont and Mrs. Minnie McQuiston, wife of Rev. J. A. C. McQuiston, of Cherry Fork, Ohio. Our subject's wife died in 1865, and he was married in 1871 to Miss Alma Mclntire, daughter of Capt. William Mclntire. Of this marriage there was born four children, three sons and a daughter, Carey McIntire, Oscar, John W. and Florence. Our subject has been a Republican all his life. At the age of seventeen, he joined the United Presbyterian Church and has lived in that faith ever since. Mr. Harsha is noted for his Christian character and his business integrity. He is a model citizen and business man and is useful and helpful in all his relations to society. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
Phillip Michael Hughes
Pg 767 - 68
was born in Adams County, Franklin Township, February 22, 1844. His father was Peter L. Hughes and his mother, Mary Carrigan. His father was born in Ireland in 1790 and came to this country in 1798 at the age of eight years. His mother was born in Franklin Township, Adams County. Her father, Andrew Carrigan, was a native of Ireland. Peter L. Hughes, father of our subject, had four sons and two daughters who grew to maturity. His daughter Hannah married John B. Allison, who has a separate sketch herein. A son, Frank O., and his wife, a daughter of Hugh Breslin, are both deceased. Mary Hughes, the second daughter, married Joshua Hatcher. Tobias Hughes married Flora Cannon, a daughter of Eleven Cannon and granddaughter of General Daniel Cockerill. He died at the early age of thirty-two, leaving his widow and three children. Another son, John W. Hughes, died in young manhood.
Our subject obtained his education in the common schools. He attended a commercial school in Cincinnati in 1863 and 1864, and directly after that began farming on his own account. About 1870, Jacob Weaver and his sister had a delightful home just south of the Serpent Mound. Our subject was a visitor there and soon found out what a good housekeeper and what an attractive young woman Miss Mary L. Weaver was, and he deliberately broke up that pleasant home, by marrying Miss Weaver on the fifth of October, 1871. Jacob Weaver then went to live with his sister and brother-in-law for a year, and his observance of married life was such, that he went and obtained a wife for himself.
Of the children of our subject, Hannah A., married John E. Swearingen. They reside at Clintonburg, Miami County, Ohio. John J. Hughes, a son, aged twenty-two, resides at home. Our subject's daughter, Kate Mary, is a young woman at home: Ferris L., aged fifteen, and Rosa Belle and Mary Grace, younger, are with their parents. Mr. Hughes has six hundred acres of land in one body in Bratton Township lying between the Baker Fork and the Middle Fork of Ohio Brush Creek. A more pleasant location was never found by man. Mr. Hughes has a large and commodious residence. The suggestion of thrift shows everywhere over his broad acres. Talk of the pastoral lives of the patriarchs. They weren't in it compared with Phil Hughes. His farm and home are more desirable than the whole belongings of the Patriarch Jacob after he had done up his father-in-law, Laban. If any one desires to take lessons in thrift and how to care for farms to make them productive, and a delight to every one who has any appreciation of nature, and of the improvements of it by cultivation, let him visit Bratton Township and call on Phillip M. Hughes. John B. Allison and Alfred R. Fulton, and if he does not come away pleased and with a whole swarm of new ideas, then the writer has not told the truth and is incapable of it. All three named are model farmers and have the finest of farms, but Mr. Hughes has the advantage in situation.
In his political faith, Mr. Hughes is a Democrat. In his religion he is a communicant of the Mother Church of all the Roman Catholic. His wife and children are Methodists. Mr. Hughes possesses the confidence of all his neighbors and well deserves it. One of the best evidences of it is, that he was President of the School Board of the Township for twelve consecutive years. He was a Commissioner of the county from 1800 to 1803. He is strictly honest, honorable, and upright. He attends strictly to his own business, and does unto others as he wishes to be done by. As a public officer, he was capable, honest, and efficient. He is an honor to himself, to his family, and to the community, and his character estimate was furnished by one of his neighbors who knows him so well that he could not possibly be mistaken about him. The writer regards him as one of those magnetic men whom it is a pleasure to meet, and would like to live neighbor to him. [Source: "A history of Adams County, Ohio: from its earliest settlement to the present time" By Nelson Wiley Evans, Emmons B. Stivers, 1900 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]