A part of Ohio Trails for Genealogy Trails

Welcome To 

Allen County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Biographies


JOHN F TONE married Julia Ann Andrews. Their children are Albert Lyman, Ellen, Aurilla, Emma Percy, John Frederick, Franklin Christopher, Charles Gustin, William Fremont and Mary Rose. Mr. Tone was born in Grafton County, New Hampshire, in the year 1822. His parents, Christopher and Aurilla Tone, never resided in this county. Mrs. Tone was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in the year 1825. Her parents are Lyman and Percy Andrews. She is sister of Sylvester, William, Sophronia, Mary, Simon, James and Delia.



DANIEL STEVICK is a son of Jacob and Sarah Stevick, whose children are John, William, Annie, Joseph, Jacob, Daniel, Eli, Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth and George. Daniel was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, December 4, 1926. His wife is Margaret, daughter of David and Margaret E. Jrushel, who had nine children--Catharine, Maria, John, Peter, Margaret, David, Elizabeth, Henry and Sarah. She was born in Stark County, Ohio, September 18, 1832. David A., Jacob A. and Jessie L., are the children of Daniel and Margaret Stevick. Mr. S. was one of the Trustees of Bath Township for three years. [unknown source]


BENJAMIN GRIFFITHS is a son of Joseph and Jane, and brother of Joseph, Elenor, Mary, Evan and Ebenezer Griffiths. He was born in Butler County in 1829, and came to Allen County in 1836 with his parents. "In those days the nearest grain markets were at Lake Erie and the Ohio River; therefore farmers raised barely grain enough to supply their families with bread and salt. There was a water mill on Hog Creek, but when the water was low we had to go to Sidney, or Piqua, to mill. There was plenty of wild game." Mrs. Griffiths was Julia Ann Aumspaucher, born in Fairfield County, 1830. They have eight children--Vincent (deceased), Isaac Newton (deceased), Jason M., Ida C., Herbert G. (deceased), Sarah Jane, Josephine and Henderson F. Mrs. G. is a daughter of George and Rebecca Aumspaucher, whose children are Mahala, Julia Ann, Clara, John, Samuel and Jessie. [unknown source]


SAMUEL ZURMEHLY was his wife, Catharine Jane (Brook) Zurmehly, are both natives of Pennsylvania. They have seven children--Mary E., John W., Eliza J., Wilson S., Peter F., Charles L. and Ida B. Mr. Z.'s parents, John C. Zurmehly and Susanna (Shofner) Zurmehly, died in Pickaway County. They had nine children--Robert, Frederick, Samuel, Jacob, John, Amos, Susan, Peter and Mary. Mr. Z. was born in 1822, and came to this county in 1846. Mrs. Z. was born in 1824. Her father, James Brook, died in Pennsylvania. Her mother, Mary (Craft) Brook, died in Allen County. Mrs. Z. has two brothers--Thomas and Samuel Brook, and two sisters--Susan and Elizabeth. ["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


J R WALTZ was born in November, 1813, in Jefferson County. He is a son of Samuel and Barbara Waltz, who have eight children--Sophia, Keziah, Bazelen, Samuel, Jacob, Mahala, Elias and Barbara. Mr. Waltz married Delila E., daughter of Obadiah and Rebecca Holmes, who came to Allen County from Tuscarawas County, in 1862. Mrs. Waltz was born in Carroll County, July 20, 1816. William, Elijah, Clum and James Holmes are her brothers. She has one sister, Anna. J. R. and Delila E. Waltz have seven children--Elias L., Thomas H., Isaac L., Jacob A., Rebecca E., Joseph M. and Barbara A. Obadiah S. Waltz, member of Company E., 20th O. V. I., died of typhoid fever, at Shiloh, Tennessee, May 31, 1862. [unknown source]


DAVID S. ADAMS, farmer, P. O. Kempton, was born in Warren County, Ohio, January 26, 1849; son of Lamyan, a native of Kentucky and an early settler of Warren County, and Maria (Stewart) Adams, who was born in New Jersey. Of their eight children, David S. is the sixth. Our subject, when ten years of age, came to this county with his parents; was raised on a farm, his education being limited to what he could obtain in the common schools. He has always followed agricultural pursuits. He entered upon his career in life with nothing, but by habits of industry and economy, has gained a goodly portion of this world's goods. He is always interested in public improvements, and gives aid to all as far as his circumstances will permit. Mr. Adams was married March 3, 1869, to Miss Margaret Emiline Clark, born in this county January 12, 1854, died July 23, 1884. To them were born six children, two of whom are deceased — Laura and Alonzo. Those living are John Quincy, Forest Dell, Clarence and Samantha. Mr. Adams is an enterprising farmer, a good neighbor, highly esteemed by his friends.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


ISAAC J. BABER, farmer, P. O. Lima, was born in German Township, Allen Co., Ohio, October 6, 1842; son of James and Susan. (McMullen) Baber, natives of Virginia and early settlers of this county.
Our subject received a limited common school education, and having been raised on a farm has naturally made farming the principal occupation of his life. He was united in marriage, October 27, 1867, with Mary M. Thomas, of German Township, this county, and by her has eight children: William Brinton, James W., Franklin Orwood, Albert, Naoma, Margaret, Walter, and Isaac, Jr. Mr. Baber's sole possession when he started out for himself, at the age of twenty-one years, was a colt valued at $25. He was fully determined to make the most of his opportunities, however, and now owns 121 acres of land, eighty-five of which are under cultivation, proving him to have been an active man. Mr. Baber was formerly a granger. In his political views he is Democratic. He is a consistent member of the Christian Union Church.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]



ISAAC COON, farmer, P.O. Kempton, was born in Belmont County, Ky. Ohio, March 18, 1829, a son of George Coon, a native of Pennsylvania, who was something over ninety-five years of age at the time of his death, which occured in 1873. The first wife of George coon was Christine Moore, the mother of our subject, a native of Bourbon County, Ky., and by her he had fifteen children, Isaac being the youngest; she died about 1843. Our subject was reared on a farm, and received his education in the early subscription schools. He was three years of age when his parents removed to Section 4, Shawnee Township, this county, and here he grew to maturity, fully acquainted with pioneer life. At the age of nineteen he received his time from his fattier and went to Delphos, where he went to work in a saw-mill. In about a year he had saved the money with which he bought forty acres of land in Amanda Township, this county, where he still lives, and to which he has added by subsequent purchases, until now he has 280 acres in this township, and eighty -five in Shawnee, the greater portion of which is under cultivation. At one time he dealt quite extensively in sheep, but at present makes no specialties. Mr. Coon was married March 14, 1850, to Julia Ann Gaskel, who died June 8, 1858. She bore him three children: Martha E., Martin L., and Benjamin F. His second marriage, which occurred March 3, 1861, was with Sarah L. Cobb, born in Luzerne County, Penn., September 5, 1843, daughter of Aaron and Esther (Halstead) Cobb. To this union six children were born: Sanford C., Orrin F., Albert O., Charles H , Lizzie L., and Ira E. Mr. Coon was in the service three years in Company A, One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was in several engagements. At the battle of Franklin, Term., he was shot through the right lung, which wound still troubles him. Politically he is a Republican.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]

WILLIAM R. COON, farmer, P. O. Conant, was born in Shawnee Township, this county, January 27, 1842; son of George J. and Julietta (Decoursey) Coon, natives of New England, and who came to Allen County at an early date. Eight of their thirteen children are living, of whom our subject is the eldest He obtained a common school education, and having been raised a farmer has made farming the principal occupation of his life. He is virtually self-made, having entered upon the battle of life a poor man, and has accumulated his property through industry and economy. He is worthy of the reputation he sustains of being a practical farmer and a thorough business man. Mr. Coon was married November 8, 1866, to Jane, daughter of James Placa. She was born in Missouri, February 22, 1842. By this union were born nine children: Lenora, Susan, Jane, William, Elmer, Belvy L., Hattie (deceased), Alpheus (deceased) and Mercy (deceased). Mr. Coon has twice been a servant of the people of his township, having served as trustee and justice of the peace. In February 1862, he volunteered his services to his country, and was with Sherman, till the close of the war. He is a consistent member of the Christian Church. In politics he is independent.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


STEPHEN D. CREMEAN, farmer, P. O. Allentown, was born in Ross County, Ohio, January 10, 1827; son of Smith and Mary (Dillen) Cremean, natives of Maryland, who settled in Boss County, Ohio, about 1805. They were parents of ten children, of whom our subject is the seventh. In 1830 they removed to Allen County, and located in German Township, where Stephen D. grew to maturity fully acquainted with pioneer life. The father died in about 1859, the mother in February, 1880, aged about ninety years. Our subject obtained a limited common school education, and having been raised a farmer has made that occupation the principle one of his life. For about two years, however, he engaged in mercantile business at Elida and Cridersville, Auglaize Co., Ohio. In the fall of 1848 he purchased eighty acres of wild land in Amanda Township, this county, where he still resides, and which he continued to add to, at intervals, until his farm now consists of 275 acres of choice land, all more or less highly cultivated; and in connection with his farming interests has dealt in stock, more extensively in buying and selling hogs. Mr. Cremean was united in marriage, November 5, 1848, with Tamsey John, born in Ross County, Ohio, April 23, 1829, by whom he has two children: Mary Jane and Curtis. They have, however, raised five other children: Annie Strawbridge, Jessie Carr, Maria Roush, James and Amanda Stalter. Mr. Cremean has tilled the office of justice of the peace one term, and is now serving his fifth term as township treasurer. For about ten years he has been a consistent member of the Christian Union Church. Politically he is identified with the Democratic party. He is a self-made man having accumulated his property by his own efforts.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


CONRAD B. CULP, farmer, P. O. Allentown, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, June 13, 1819, being third in the family of thirteen children of Peter and Susan (Broucher) Culp, natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in Pickaway County in 1802. Conrad B. was raised on a farm, and early in life learned the trades of carpenter and joiner and shoe-maker. He conducted a shoe store in Pickaway County about five years, and has worked more or less at the carpenter's trade for twenty years. In connection with his trades he has also owned a farm. Mr. Culp was united in marriage, in 1842, with Sarah Duncle, who died in 1847 leaving to his care six children: Franklin (deceased), George D. (deceased), Mary S., John (deceased), Jacob (deceased) and Peter S. (deceased). In 1850 he was again married, this time to Rachael Imler, who died in 1877; she bore him five children: Sarah C. (deceased), Rachael (deceased), Hannah J., Clement Brinlen and Harriet I. In 1847 Mr. Culp went to Auglaize County where he bought a quarter section of wild land, built a water saw-mill, and remained for eleven years, then removed to Lima, this county, and for two years was engaged in mercantile business and working at his trade. In the fall of 1860 he purchased his present property which was then in a state of nature, and which he has converted into a good farm, having placed the same under a high state of cultivation, it being the third farm he has cleared up in his time, one in Allen County, one in Auglaize County and one in Fairfield County. In 1877 he erected a large barn, at that time the best in the neighborhood. His education has been obtained in the common schools and in contact with he world. From the age of fifteen years he was catechized in the Lutheran Church until he united with the Christian Union Church, of which he has been a consistent member for several years. His political sympathy is with the Democratic Party.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


JACOB FRY, farmer, P.O. Conant, was born in Pennsylvania February 26 1827, a son of Abraham and Mary (Bechenbaugh) Fry, of Pennsylvania, of whose family of nine children, only four are living Jacob being the youngest. Our subject was married, October 5, 1848, to Amy J. Chipman, who died in March, 1871, the mother of seven children : Abram L., Mary E. (deceased), Isabel (wife of L. Bowersock), Bosetta (wife of William King), Ida A. (deceased), Mattie (deceased), and William S. Mr. Fry came to Allen County in 1849, and two years later located on his farm in Amanda Township, and has been one of the sturdy pioneers who have cleared away the forests and prepared the soil for cultivation. He has served the people as trustee for three years. During the war he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Eightieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, remaining in the service till the close of the struggle. Religiously he is connected with the Baptist Church. Mr. Fry's oldest son, Abram L., was born January 14, 1850, received a common school education, and has always been a farmer. He is still living on the homestead. He has been township clerk two years, and is now serving as such by appointment on an unfinished term. He was married, December 29, 1870, to Josephine Fryer, born in Allen County July 24, 1854, by whom he has had four children: Ida Bell (deceased), Alpheus, Inetta and Effie May. Politically both our subject and son are Democrats.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


THOMAS GRUBB, farmer and justice of the peace, P. O. Kempton, was born in Jackson Township, Allen Co., Ohio, September 27, 1852; son of John B. and Elizabeth (Robinson) Grubb, who are still living, the former born in Morgan County, the latter in Jackson Township, Allen Co., Ohio. They were early settlers of Auglaize County, Ohio. They are the parents of four living children: John A., Letitia J., Thomas and Annie E. Thomas were reared on a farm, and has always followed agricultural pursuits. His education was limited to such as could be obtained in the common schools of those days. He was united in marriage, August 28, 1878, with Miss Catherine Bowers, of Auglaize Township, this county, born April 20, 1859, daughter of John and Amanda E. Bowers, the former of whom, one of the early settlers of Allen County, died about 1865. To this union three children were born: Rolla G., Laura B. and Maud. Mr. Grubb moved to Amanda Township, this county, in 1879, and settled on the farm where he now resides. He was a charter member of Rattlesnake Grange of Jackson Township. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In his political views he is identified with the Democratic party. He was elected and commissioned justice of the peace in 1880, and during his four years of service has performed most of the official work of this office in the township. Our subject is an energetic and enterprising man, and is destined to become one of the substantial farmers of Amanda Township. ["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]

Thomas Grubb
Thomas Grubb, one of the enterprising farmers of Amanda township, Allen county, was born in Lafayette, Ohio, September 27, 1853. His parents were John B. and Elizabeth (Robinson) Grubb, who are at this writing both residents of Auglaize township. Six children were born to them, two sons and four daughters, our subject Thomas, being the fourth child.Thomas Grubb, the subject proper, spent his early years upon the farm, and his education was obtained in the common schools. He lived with his parents until 1878, and two years later came to Amanda township and purchased 120 acres of land in section No. 35, on which he located. The land was wholly unimproved, and was a veritable frog pond, as its owner facetiously remarked. With industry, combined with good judgement, however, he has made his once forlorn farm one of the finest in this section of the country, and at present has 100 acres of it under cultivation, having placed in the soil 2, 500 rods of drain-tile, and enclosed with substantial fences. In 1890 he erected a commodious frame residence, and in 1894 put up a handsome frame barn, 40 x 50 feet, with eighteen- feet posts. Numerous other buildings and conveniences have been added, and the farm approaches an ideal one. He keeps a high grade of stock, believing that the expense is no more to grow a choice animal than to harbor an indifferent one. Starting in life empty-handed, he has by his own energies, prospered and thrived, and may be justly esteemed as a self-made man and one of the well-to-do citizens of this county.
Mr. Grubb has served his township as justice of the peace six years, and is a member of the order of Patrons of Husbandry, and has been secretary of the county organization, having held nearly all of the offices of the fraternity, and has been a member ever since its introduction into this section.
His political faith is that of a populist, and in this, as in all his hands and heart find to do, he abides on lukewarm or half-way measure. In August, 1878, he was married to Miss Catherine Bowers, daughter of John B. and Amanda E. (Shannon) Bowers. She was a native of Clarke county, Ohio, and was born near Springfield, April 20, 1857. Three children came to bless this union, viz: Rolla G., Laura B., and Zida M. Mr. and Mrs. Grubb are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Grubb is a steward of the same. He is also president of the township Sunday-school association, and is an active and efficient worker in various church societies. It is an agreeable task to write of such men, and it makes one reflect how much more than riches are such persons to be valued in a community. [A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896-pg 295-296 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]



CALVIN HARRIS, retired farmer, P. O. Southworth, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., October 1, 1810, son of Samuel and Sally (Reed) Harris, natives of New York State, parents of five children: Eleazar, Elvira, Daniel, Sarah and Calvin, the last two named being the only survivors of the family. They removed to Cincinnati. Ohio, in 1816, and soon after our subject was bound to a Quaker, with whom he lived on a farm till he was sixteen years old. He then learned wagon- making, a trade he followed about fourteen years. He eventually moved to Lockland, Ohio, where he married Edith Dunn May 28, 1835. In 1849 he came to this county and located on the farm where he now resides. His wife died December 9, 1881, and he now lives a retired life, having given over his business to his son. He is a deacon in the Baptist Chnrch, of which he has been a consistent member since a young man. He was originally a Whig, but is now a Republican. Of his nine children four are now living: Mary Angeline (wife of T. A. Handel), Roscoe B., Florence B. (wife of D. W. Ditto) and Clarence B.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


ISAAC HARTER, farmer, P. O. Conant, was born in Amanda Township, this county, March 17, 1837, and is the only surviving child of Charles and Susan (Carr) Harter, and a grandson of Jacob and Rebecca (Copus) Harter, who were among the very early settlers of this county. Our subject was but six months old at the death of his father, and at the age of eleven years was also bereft of a mother's care. He was thus thrown upon his own resources, although part of his early life was spent with his grandparents. His education was necessarily limited, and he entered upon his career in life with nothing but his own labor to depend upon, but being possessed of a stout heart and energetic nature, he determined to make his way in the world. As a result of his industry and economy he was enabled to purchase a small piece of land in 1802. Three years later he volunteered his services to his country, enlisting in Company E, One Hundred and Ninty second Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served till the close of the war. After that he returned to agricultural pursuits and has now a fine farm, highly cultivated and well supplied with substantial buildings. Mr. Harter was married January 23, 1800, to Elizabeth Eley, born April 20, 1841, in Amanda Township, daughter of Peter and Rosanna (Place) Eley. To this union have been born five children: Susan, Cora Bell, Emma E., Charles (deceased) and Lillie (deceased). Mr. Harter is a member of the G. A. R. Post at Spencerville; is an adherent of the Christian Church. He is not a politician but votes for men and principles.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


CYRUS H. HOVER, farmer, P. O. Kempton, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 5, 1822, and came to Allen County with his parents in 1833, locating at Lima, where he entered on his career of life in 1846, commencing in the foundry business. In 1850 he removed his business to Delphos, where he remained thirteen years. He then purchased a farm in Amanda Township, and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. The greater portion of his farm was at that time wild and uncultivated, but now it is under a state of cultivation, being second to none in his township. Mr. Hover was married August 4, 1847, to Martha Past, who was born in Knox County, Ohio, August 7, 1827, and this union has been blessed with eleven children: Elizabeth C. (wife of Rev. Philip Lemasters), Laura (deceased), Joseph O. (deceased), Mary E. (wife of R. H. Gamble), Charles A., Kate P. (wife of D. H. Crites), Bryant G., Minnie L., Florence, Ada L. (deceased), and Mattie J. Mr. Hover is a man of sound judgment, honorable and upright to a fault in all business transactions, and is one of the most influential as well as substantial farmers of his township. He is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Republican Party. Religiously he and his family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church. ["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


SAMUEL LUTZ, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Allentown, one of the substantial farmers of this township, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, September 13, 1853, son of John and Elizabeth Ann (Miller) Lutz, the former born in Maryland, January 13, 1820. John Lutz was married November 20, 1845, to Sarah Ann Griffith, and by this union was born one child, Phoebe Ann (now wife of David Brennemen of German Township, Allen Co., Ohio). Losing this wife by death July 15, 1850, he married on the second occasion, May 1, 1851, Elizabeth Ann Miller, who bore him four children: William M., Samuel, Sarah J. (deceased), and George A. This wife died December 24, 1859, and he then married June 20, 1861, Sarah J. Doner, by which union there were four children born: Isaac N. (deceased), Louisa I, John W. and Altha C. (deceased). John Lutz was an influential farmer, a man of good judgment and in every sense a self-made man. He died February 22, 1873, and his loss was deeply mourned. Having been raised on a farm, our subject naturally chose the life of a farmer, and has always followed agricultural pursuits. He was married November 21, 1875 to Miss Catherine, daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Housel) Alexander, natives of Pennsylvania, and early settlers of Allen County, now residents of German Township. They have two sons: Orlo E., born July 30, 1877, and Harry A., born December 4, 1880. Mr. Lutz’s early recollections are of the pioneer days in Amanda Township, where his parents located in October 1855. He still resides upon the old home farm, where he recently erected a fine residence and frame barn, and where he has raised stock to considerable extent, being interested in high-grade short-horn cattle and sheep, and Poland-China hogs. Religiously he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. Lutz inherits his father's energetic enterprising nature, and is highly esteemed by the community, who sympathize with him in his partial retirement from active life on account of hip joint disease. ["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


CHRISTIAN MACK (deceased) was born in Germany, May 10, 1828, and received a limited education in his native land. In 1840 he came to America with his parents, who located in Marion County, Ohio, and here he grew to maturity, following the occupation of a farmer until 1852, in which year he moved to Allen County and located on the farm where he resided the balance of his days. For many years he owned and operated a threshing machine; for about five years was proprietor of a saw-mill in Auglaize County, which was conducted in connection with his farm. Mr. Mack was twice married; on the first occasion in 1849, to Christine Shirley, who died in 1855, leaving to his care two sons: Charles and Isaac. His second marriage, February 25, 1856, was with Christine M. Gebhart, born in Germany, April 3, 1835, and who came to America in 1854. Thirteen children were born to this union: John, Katie, Lena, Conrad (deceased), Jacob (deceased), Sarah, William, Frederick (deceased), Emma, Henry, Fanny M. (deceased), Benjamin and Harry (deceased). Mr. Mack, who was a hard-working, energetic man,
was one of the pioneers who assisted in developing this part of Allen County. During the late civil war he served about eleven months in Company G, Eighty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was for several years a member of the German Methodist Church. In politics he was identified with the Republican Party. His death occurred August 11, 1882. His widow still survives, and has successfully managed the farm assisted by her children.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


A. D. MILLER, farmer and teacher, P. O. Allentown, Ohio, was born in Amanda Township, this county, June 18, 1853, son of Joseph and Minerva J. (Shock) Miller, the former a native of Ross County, Ohio, the latter of Allegheny County, Perm. They were early settlers of Allen County, Ohio, and are now residents of Amanda Township. Our subject, the eldest of their nine children, received a commercial and miscellaneous education at the National Normal School of Lebanon, and entered upon his career in life as a teacher, finishing his first term as such during his fifteenth year, and has followed that profession more or less till the present time. He was for two years engaged in railroad offices at Elida, and during the summer seasons for the last two years has engaged in farming. Mr. Miller was married March 5, 1876, to Miss Darthula Place, born August 21, 1854, by whom he has three children: Lehr E., Freeda G. and Minerva S. Mrs. Miller is a daughter of James Place, who was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 25, 1818, came to this county in 1836 and in 1841 married Susan Culver, of Delaware County, Ohio, born July 4, 1818. Both are still living. Mr. Miller has served the people of the township in several of its offices of trust, and was elected justice of the peace in 1883, since when he has done quite an extensive business in his official capacity. Politically he is considered a leader of the Democratic party in this vicinity, destined to become one of the substantial men of the township.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


SIMON SHAFFER, carpenter and farmer, P. O. Spencerville, was born in Shawnee Township, Allen Co., Ohio, July 6, 1849. His parents are still living, his father, Michael, a native of Pennsylvania and an early settler of Miami and Allen Counties, Ohio, being a farmer of Shawnee Township; his mother, Sarah (Whetstone) Shaffer, was born in Auglaize, this county. ' Their children, thirteen in number, are as follows: Henry, Simon, Nancy, John, Rebecca, Michael (deceased), Alford (deceased), Sarah, Amanda, William, Elza, George and Luella. Our subject was raised on a farm, his education being limited to a few weeks each year in the common schools. Early in life he commenced to work at the carpenter's trade, which he has made his principal occupation, and he bears the reputation of being a first-class workman in every respect. He was united in marriage June 24, 1871, with Margaret Richardson, born May. 17, 1854, daughter of G. W. Richardson, and to this union were born four children: Rozilla, Alby, Michael and Julia. When twenty-two years of age Mr. Shaffer removed to Auglaize County, this State, but returned to this county in 1879. For five years he has lived upon his farm in Amanda Township, and in 1882 erected thereon what is recognized as the finest frame barn in the county. He is a self-made man, having gained his property through habits of industry and economy. He purchased his time from his father before reaching maturity, paying for the same the sum of $182.50. Mr. Shaffer is an active member of the order of F. & A. M. at Spencerville. In politics he is identified with the Democratic Party.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]



BENJAMIN F. SOUTHWORTH, farmer, P.O. Southworth, was born in Clark County, Ohio, January 12, 1828, son of Benjamin P, and Annie (Stacy) Southworth, natives of Vermont and who were parents of six children, of them only four grew to maturity. The father died in 1868, the mother's death having occurred about ten years previously. Our subject was raised on a farm and received a common school education. He came to this county with hie parents in December, 1835, and has always followed the occupation of a farmer. He was married, December 13, 1849, to Elizabeth Sawmiller, born in Putnam County, Ohio, December 20, 1827, and by this union are three children now living: Enos H., Susan (wife of William Lutz), and Josephine (wife of Eugene Grieser). Mr. Southworth entered upon his career in life with but money enough to buy ten acres of land, but through habits of industry and economy has accumulated some property, being considered one amongst the prosperous farmers of the township. The railway station and post office near his farm are named in his honor. During the late war of the Rebellion Mr. Southworth served his country three years, having enlisted in Company B, McLaughlin's Squadron. He is a Republican in politics.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


ANDREW WEYER, farmer, P. O. Allentown, was born in Highland County, Ohio, March 13, 1815: son of Barnett and Catherine (Reese) Weyer, natives of Maryland and Virginia respectively. They were among the first settlers of Highland County, Ohio, having located there previous to the war of 1812. Our subject's early life was spent upon a farm and in attending the common schools to which his educational privileges were limited. As soon as he was old enough he commenced working in a shoe shop with his father, but eventually entered upon his career as a farmer. He came to Allen County in 1836 and located in Jackson Township, near Lafayette. Here he cleared a farm of eighty acres and lived till 1871, when he removed to Amanda Township. He has never engaged in any enterprise other than his farming interests since he has started for himself. His has been an active life, and in his declining days it is some satisfaction for him to know that he has always lived honorable and upright. Mr. Weyer was married in October, 1838, to Nancy Nash, who died twenty years later. By her he had eight children: William H. (who served three years during the late war of the Rebellion), Lewis (who served in same, one and a half years), Malinda, John W., Nancy E., David H., Andrew H. and Helena. On November 27, 1860, our subject married Miss Elizabeth Rumbaugh, born in Bath Township, this county, April 26, 1840, daughter of William and Mary (Ashcraft) Rumbaugh, early settlers of that township (her father is still living two miles east of Lima, her mother died in about 1864). By this last union Mr. Weyer is the father of six children: Charles (at school in Dayton), Alvan, Thomas, Nettie, Rosana and Viola. In his political views Mr. Weyer was originally a Whig, but has been identified with the Republican party since its organization.
["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


WILLIAM H. WEYER, farmer, P. O. Allentown, was born in Jackson Township, Allen County, Ohio, April 18, 1841, son of Andrew and Nancy (Nash) Weyer. He received a common school education and has mostly followed the occupation of a farmer. In August 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with Capt. John C. Walters, and with the company was attached to the Fourth Army Corps. He was in the service till the close of the war, and took part in all the engagements in which his regiment participated, except about two months during which time he was in hospital suffering from a shell wound in the head received at the battle of Chickamanga. Mr. Weyer was married, August 6, 1871, to Miss Mary M., daughter of Isaac and Mary (Bumbaugh) Keller, early settlers of this county, and by her he has had seven children: Nelson, John, Adison, Elnora, Irven, Alberta and David Oliver (deceased at the age of eleven months, twenty-four days). For some time after his return from the war Mr. Weyer engaged in the saw-mill business. He removed to Amanda Township in March, 1871, and located on his farm, then in the woods, but now under a high state of cultivation, and supplied with substantial buildings, which demonstrate his desire to develop the farming interests of the county. His reputation is above reproach as a business man and farmer. Mr. Weyer has been a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since March 7, 1876. He is a Republican in politics. ["History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


LEWIS BAKER was born in Lima, Ohio, on the second day of October, 1835, and is the second son of Alfred and Mary (Osborn) Baker, who were natives of Virginia and Ohio respectively, and came to Miami County in 1843 and located on the farm on which Lewis now resides. He has always remained at home, and received his education in the common schools. Since reaching his majority he has continuously engaged in farming and stock-raising, at which he has been successful to a satisfactory degree. He was married to Miss Maggie E. Wibel, April 2, 1863, a daughter of Solomon and Rose Wibel, who were natives of Pennsylvania. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Baker were born five children, two of which are now living—Charles E. and Conrad L.—and the deceased were Ora M. and two infants unnamed. Mr. Baker is the owner of 400 acres of fine farming land, situated in Peru and Erie Townships, which is substantially improved and in a highly cultivated state. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are members of the Christian Church. In political matters he is a Republican, and is one of the most reliable and substantial farmers of Erie Township.
["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]


Samuel ROCKHILL
Birth: 2 MAY 1793 in Mansfield Twp. Burlington Co., NJ
Death: 1865 in Monroe Twp. Allen Co., Ohio
Burial: Rockport Methodist Cemetery Allen Co., Oh

Samuel Rockhill was born in the state of New Jersey 2 May, 1793 He came to Ohio in 1835 to Allen County then part of then of Putnam County. At that time the village of Lima only contained eight or ten houses and one little store. The county was a wilderness with many big trees .The wolf and the wildcat had free range. After Samuel had cleared his farm he laid out the village of Rockport in 1836 Ohio.His energy ,intelligence and uprightness of character won him many friends It soon marked him as a man worthy of public trust. Mr. Rockhill was a leading man in many enterprises for the improvements of the county- such as building the county infirmary and securing a railroad thorough the county. He served on the Board of County Commissioners of Allen County for five years from 1848 and again in 1851. He was a Justice of the Peace and held other offices. He was a sincere Christian and for many years in pioneer times his house was used for public worship He donated the land for the building of the Rockport Methodist Church and cemetery and assisted in building the church., Mr Rockhill had great faith in the Union soldiers in the War of the Rebellion ( 1860-1865) He lost a son and grandson in the war. Near the close of the war while nursing a sick son in the hospital ,he lost his own life to either from an illiness or being hit in Knoxville TN, by a horse and buggy.

He was an active worker in the anti-slavery movement and ran a way-station in Putnam County for the Underground Railroad.. Samuel's marker in the Rockport Cemetery identifies him as a veteran of the War of 1812, although no record of his service is found in the National Archives. We have never found proof of this, but because of his strong feelings against the war and slavery I have included it.
The village of Rockport was laid out in 1836 by Samuel Rockhill.
[*1875 Personal histories from Monroe Township as published in the 1875 Historical Atlas of Allen County, Ohio by H. H. Hardesty & Co. Publishers Chicago, IL - Submitted By Norita Shepherd Moss]


Henry Allen DeLong, an enterprising and successful farmer of Shawnee township, Allen county, Ohio, is a son of John and Esther (Mowery) DeLong. The great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch was a native of France; immigrating to the United States in his young days, he settled in Pennsylvania, but some years after, while engaged in rafting lumber on the Schuylkill river, in steering the raft in one of its swift currents, it struck a rock, and he was thrown in front of the former and was drowned. He left a widow and five children- Jacob, Andrew, George, Lydia and Henry-to battle in the world with the assistance of the elder boys and friends. In a few years after, they moved and settled near Chillicothe, Ohio. Henry, the youngest son, was married to Mary Mowery in the year 1816, and became the father of eight children, and in this marriage career they purchased and improved 160 acres of land. They were pious parents and members of the German Reform church; their children, as born and named, are John, Henry, Jacob, and Levi, Isaac, Elizabeth (Mrs. Hinton), Catherine (Mrs. Jacob Beeler) and Polly (Mrs. Georgia Beeler). John DeLong, the father of the subject, was born in Ross county in 1822, and in 1849 was married to Esther Mowery; he moved to the wilds of Allen county and purchased and settled on eighty acres of land in section No. 26, Shawnee township, to which he added, by purchase, in sections Nos. 23,26, and 28, until he owned 579 acres; he owns seventy-eight acres in Auglaize county. In section No. 26, Shawnee township, Allen county, he cleared 160 acres for a home, farm, upon which he lived until 1891, when he retired to, and is now living in, Cridersville, Ohio, upon which income from his accumculations in the years of his active life. Politically Mr. DeLong is a democrat and held several township offices; religiously he is a Lutheran. His children are  as follows; Mary, wife of Benjamin Bowsher; Sarah, wife of Ephraim Crider; Henry A., the subject; Jacob C., of Auglaize county; John F., of Shawnee township, Allen county; Amanda, wife of John Maher; Elmer, living on the homestead farm; Lyda A., wife of Ira Rittler; and two who died in infancy (George and Edward).Henry A. DeLong was born September 14, 1856, on the home farm and was reared to a farmer's life, his education was obtained in a district school, and though not so complete as he could wish, yet his natural ability and the experience acquired by contact with the world, together with his scholastic education, enable him to perform all the private and public duties that he has so far performed.  In 1878, when twenty-two years of age, he settled on his present farm; containing 152 acres, which he now operates; beside, he owns desirable properties in Lima and Cridersville, and his income is sufficient for all praticial purposes. Politically Mr. DeLong is a democrat; in 1886 he was by his party friends elected justice of the peace, and he has performed the duty of office with such unusual ability and satisfaction that he has been re-elected three times; he has also been an active member of the school board for a number of years. Mr. DeLong was married April 11, 1878 to Miss Sarah E. Beeler, daughter of Henry Beeler, and to his marriage have been born the following children; Ollie A., Grover E., and Floyd A. He is a member of the Lutheran church at Cridersville, of which he has been trustee for many years, besides being an industrious and enterprising citizen. Mr. DeLong is of such character and  disposition that he is popular with most of the people, is a leading man in his calling, that of agriculture, and is in every way a worthy American. ["A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties" by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896- pg 252,253 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


Abram Early, a prominent farmer of Monroe township, Allen county, Ohio, is a native of the county, and was born December 25, 1840, the third of the nine children born to Jacob and Mary (Simmons) Early, natives of Shenandoah valley, Va., where they were married in 1838, and whence they came to Ohio and located, first, in Bath township, Allen county, then removed to a point near Lima, and many years later retired to West Cairo, where the father now lives, having lost his wife in 1882.Abram Early was reared on his father's farm, but was afforded good school advantages and when a young man entered a store at Lima, Ohio, as a clerk, and held the position until his enlistment in 1862, in the Ninety-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was assigned to the army of the Cumberland. He took part in all the hard-fought battles and weary marches of his regiment until, when marching with Sherman to the sea, he was captured by the enemy November 6, 1864, and taken consecutively to Macon, to Athens, to Augusta, to Savannah to Thomasville and lastly to Andersonville, in which last-named prison-pen he was held until the close of the war, when he and his fellow prisoners were taken to Jacksonville, Fla., and there turned loose. Mr. Early succeeded in making his way to Washington, D.C., where he received an honorable discharge. He then returned to Lima and resumed clerking, which he followed until 1866, when he married Sarah Miller, daughter of John B. Miller of Virginia, who settled in Allen county, Ohio, in 1838, and was a large land owner, and also a prominent member of the German Baptist church. To the union of Abram and Sarah Early were born seven children, viz; Mary, wife of Cario Swick; Emily, a missionary, but now in Chicago; Ella, at home; Calvin, a medical student; Mildred, a teacher; Eunice and Carl S., at home.  After his marriage Mr. Early at once settled on his present farm near Rockport, where he buys, raises and feeds stock, and largely handles and ships hogs, lately he has been interested in an organization having in view the development of the oil interests of the county; the company has already sunk one well, but, not having struck oil, is on the lookout for a more prolific field. January 3, 1889, Mrs. Early was called away, dying a sincere believer in the faith of the German Baptist church. In 1891; Mr. Early married Miss Susan Miller, a daughter of Samuel R. Miller, a native of Pennsylvania, but now a resident of Elkhart county, Ind., where he settled when a young man, and where, as a democrat, he has served twenty years as township trustee and six years as county sheriff. To his second marriage there have been born no children to Mr. Early. Mr. and Mrs. Early are members of the German Baptist church, to the support of which he is a liberal contributor; in politics Mr. Early is a stanch republican, and while no office seeker, takes an interest as a good citizen in the affairs of the party and the country. ["A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties" by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896- pg 262,263 - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


George R.  Fetter, a thriving young farmer and rising citizen of Bath township, Allen county, Ohio, his birthplace, is a son of George and Sarah (Dent) Fetter, and was born on the homestead November 15, 1863, and here his life has been spent up to the present time.

George Fetter, Sr., paternal grandfather of the subject of this biography, came from Baden, Germany, in 1835, bringing his family, consisting of himself, wife (who had borne the name of Cupp), and four children, named George, Catherine, Jacob and Daniel, of whom George and Jacob are now deceased. The family, on landing in the United States, at once came to Ohio, where the father entered eighty acres of wild land in bath township, Allen county, which he cleared up and transformed into a productive farm, and on which he passed the remainder of his days, a respected citizen, a democrat in politics, and in religion a Lutheran.

George Fetter, Jr., eldest son of George, Sr., and father of our subject, was born in Germany in 1826, came to America with his father, and was reared to manhood on the Bath township homestead, receiving his education in the frontier log schoolhouse. After assisting in clearing and cultivating the home place until twenty-six years of age, he married and settled down in section No., 27, where J.K., his son, now resides, and later added to his landed possessions until he became one of the largest land-owners in Bath township, his broad acres being now divided up into farms and occupied by his children. His wife bore the maiden name of Sarah Ward and was a daughter of William Ward, of German township, Allen county. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Fetter were born nine children, in the following order; John W.; Elizabeth, wife of Edward Gray; Eliza E., wife of James C. Hull; Daniel P., George R., Jacob E., Sarah I., wife of Owen Griffith; Julius K., and Alberta, wife of Joshua Bibel. The mother of this family died in 1885 and the father in January, 1895, both members of the Lutheran church, and the remains of both lie interred in Zion churchyard, Bath township. Mr. Fetter was in politics a democrat, and was a man who took considerable interest in the affairs of his township and county. He served for many years as a school director, was for a long time township trustee, and was universally looked up to by his fellow-townsmen as a man of great sagacity and as one to be relied on in all emergencies.

George R. Fetter, the subject proper of this sketch, remained on the home farm, assisting his father, until the latter's death, when he came into possession of his present farm, in section No., 27, on the Lafayette road, four miles east of Lima. His marriage took place in 1885, with Miss Nancy A. Hefner, daughter of Amos Hefner, of Bath township, the union resulting in the birth of five children- George A., Hattie B., Orrie A.,  Retta B., and Aaron W. Mr. Fetter had acquired a good knowledge of business as well as farming, and is now quite extensively engaged in developing the stone quarries on his land, operating lime-kilns, etc. In poltics he is a democrat, and for four or five years has been honored with the position of township trustee, an office he has filled with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the public. As a business man the name of Mr. Fetter stands without a blemish, and his social standing is a very desirable one. ["A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties" by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896-pgs 280, 281]


Samuel W. Kemp was born in Amanda township, Allen county, Ohio February 16, 1853, is now one of the representative business men of the village of Kempton, and is the third child and only son of a family of six children born to John W. and Nancy J. (Andrews) Kemp, who are now both deceased. The father John W. Kemp, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, February 1, 1828 and died October 5, 1891, in Allen county, where he had lived the life of a pioneer, having settled here in 1847. John W. Kemp was a son of Joseph and Lucinda Kemp, was a single man at the time he located in Allen county, and with his father located upon land in section No., 36, Amanda township, which was an unbroken wilderness, there being at that time only three families in the township. The grandfather, Joseph Kemp, cleared up to 120 acres of land  on which he lived until his death; he reared a family of seven children, of whom John W. Kemp, the father of our subject, was the eldest, and remained under the parental roof until he was married in 1849, which event took place two years after coming to the county. He immediately thereafter purchased forty acres of timberland, which he owned however, but a short time, when he sold and bought eighty acres in section No., 1, same township, where the village of Kempton now stands. This tract was also in the unbroken wilderness, but he set about cutting away the forest, and cleared therefrom a good farm, and while doing so, experienced many of the privations attendant on the life of an early settler; he lived upon this farm until the time of his death, after having accumulated a fair competence, the result of an industrious and active life. He was a prominent and active member of the Odd Fellows' order and a member of the G.A.R. having been a soldier in the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted twice- first for three months and afterward for one year, and the war closed prior to the expiration of his term of enlistment. He was mustered out as a third sergeant. His first wife, Miss Nancy J. Andrews, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, November 21, 1826, and died December 24, 1876. To this union six children were born; Catherine and Lucinda, deceased, the latter the wife of Charles Barrick; Samuel W., with whom this sketch mostly deals; Margaret E., wife of T. B. Bowersock, of German township, deceased, Sarah A., wife of C. B. Crites, of Amanda township, and Emma, deceased.



Samuel W. Kemp received his education in the public schools of the county. After marrying, he rented a farm for two years, after which he engaged in the grocery business, which he followed for five years, when he came to his present location at Kempton, opened a general store and for six years gave his exclusive attention to his trade, after which time, however, he divided his occupation by buying and shipping corn, and after a year thus employed, associated himself with A. E. Clutter, of  Lima, Ohio, in buying and shipping hay and together they are now doing an extensive business, their transactions aggregating $25,000 annually. In the year of 1894 Mr. Kemp began handling Jersey cattle for breeding purposes and has brought into Allen county some of the choicest blood of the famous stock. In his various branches of business, Mr. Kemp employs from fifteen to twenty-five men, and is himself one of the most energetic business men of Allen county. He is wide-awake, up and doing and progressive. He is one of the leading and substantial men of the community, and his business and financial success is due to his own personal efforts and push, combined with those of his wife, who is an intelligent and energetic woman, who aids his best efforts with her counsel. He is one of the solid democrats of the county and has filled the office of township treasurer and justice of the peace, two terms each. His marriage to Miss Eudora Bice occurred November 18, 1875. She was the daughter of William and Tibitha  Bice, of Amanda township, and was born September 21, 1857. One child has been born to them- William Guy Kemp. Mr. Kemp was appointed postmaster of Kempton in 1878, and with the exception of four years has held the office up to the present time.
["A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties" by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896-pgs 347,348]


Francis H. Winegardner, the junior partner in the firm of Hesser & Winegardner, of Harrod, Allen county, Ohio, of which further details will be found in the sketch of Lucian E. Hesser, on another page, was born in Marion county, Iowa, August 23, 1862.



George W. Winegardner, father of our subject, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, May 10, 1837, was a farmer, and married Margaret Ann Patterson, daughter of Samuel Patterson, a farmer of Marion county, Iowa, the marriage resulting in the birth of the following children: Emma R. wife of William Davis; Francis H., our subject; Mary M. wife of J.B. Andrews; and Clara D., wife of Thomas Drury. George W. Winegardner was a young man when he first became identified with the farming interests of Marion county, Iowa, where he later  married and where he resided a number of years; there also, he lost his first wife, the mother of the above-named children. In 1872, he married Mary J. Myers, daughter of David Myers, of Auglaize county, Ohio, this union being favored by the birth of one son- John D. In 1875 Mr. Winegardner relinquished his Iowa interests, returned to Ohio, and bought a farm of eighty acres in Wayne township, Auglaize county, on which he made his home until his death, October 20, 1892.opular as a democrat in Iowa, where for a number of years he held the office of justice of the peace, and, although equally popular in Auglaize county, he never there aspired to political preferment.

Francis H. Winegardner was reared on the home farm until twenty-two years of age, receiving a good common school education in the meanwhile. At the age mentioned he became identified with the village of Harrod, his present place of residence. During the first eight years after locating here, he was in the employ of his uncle, S. T. Winegardner, in a saw-mill and planing-mill, learning, at the same time, the trade of carpenter under his relative's instruction. He was careful of his earnings, and in 1892 bought his half-interest in his present business, in conjunction with a wood-working shop and a modern blacksmith-room, with a buggy trimming shop above. They handle buggies, wagons, carts, and all other kinds of vehicles, and do all kinds of repairing pertaining to this line of trade, and sometimes contract for the building of a special kind of buggy or other class of vehicle required for some purpose outside of the usual demand. Their undertaking outfit is of a superior order, and they are well prepared to fill all orders in the line when called upon.
Mr. Winegardner owns and occupies a neat modern village residence, and all he owns is the result of his own industry. He was married March 6, 1892, to Sydney C. Murray, daughter of Michael and Catherine Murray- the former an agriculturist of Hamilton county, Iowa, and the latter deceased. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Winegardner has been blessed with two children- Lelah R., and the baby, deceased. Mrs. Winegardner is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and is faithful in her observance of its teachings. In politics Mr. Winegardner is a democrat, and fraternally he is a member of the Sager lodge, No.513, F. & A.M., of Lafayette, Ohio. As a business man Mr. Winegardner is recognized as one of the brightest of his years in Auglaize township, and his social standing is with the best in the community.
["A Portrait and Biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties" by A.W. Bowen & Co., 1896-pg 549


 

BACK -- HOME
Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

© Genealogy Trails