Allen County, Ohio
History and Genealogy
Rockport, Section 13, Monroe, was platted in 1836 by Samuel Rockhill. It extends from Walnut Street to Blue Street, and west from Rock Street to Hill Street, adjoining the Vertner farm.
The Rockport Presbyterian Church was organized November 9, 1850, Rev. R. M. Badeau and W. K. Brice constituting the committee from the presbytery for that purpose. William Crane and William G. Combs were elected, ordained and installed elders. This is in the Bluffton charge. There are about fifty members. [pg. 470, "The History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Sub. by K.T.]
In Daniel Milliken's reminiscences he refers to Jacob Shull, Louis Roberts and James Woods as the survivors of pioneer days, and to the following named old settlers: James Van Meter, James Lippincott, Samuel Lippincott, David Freet, William B. Rockhill, Thomas Rockhill, Alexander Stewart, Stephen Cook and Jefferson Vertner. These were old settlers near Rockport and Beaver Dam. In Richland Township, an early schoolhouse was Hilty's, and the first teacher, William Redding. The first church, Methodist Episcopal, at Rockport. The first horse mill at Rockport, owned by Isaac Parker.
Lewis Jennings, who came with his parents to Allen County in 1836 and settled in Richland in 1852, states that the neighbors within two miles at that time were Tobias Woods, Benjamin Meek, John Shinaberry, John Dickerson, Clements Smeltz, Joseph Furshee, John Murray, and Richard Hall. The first school-house in his district was built in 1852 ; the first church was at Bluffton. [pg. 525, "The History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Sub. by K.T.]
Samuel Rockhill, who platted the village of Rockport, settled in Monroe Township in 1835 with his son, William Rockhill. [pg. 246, "The History of Allen County, Ohio", 1885 - Sub. by K.T.]
From another history book published in 1880 and submitted by Norita Shepard Moss:
The village was laid out by Samuel Rockhill in 1836. It has but one grocery store, one blacksmith shop one carpenter, one shoemaker, one broom maker, one church M. E. a frame one and one Presbyterian church a frame. No bells.
The population is 100. The village is surrounded by good farming land and should have a moderate growth in the future.
Monroe Township including villages by the "Compendium of the Census of 1870" was 1,739, though now about 2000
Two of the early settlers along with others were Samuel , William, and Thomas Rockhill, Isaac Parker and their families
Daniel Milliken of Richland Township, who states who the few remaining old settlers who were still here. Two of the early settlers along with others were Samuel , William, and Thomas Rockhill, Isaac Parker and their families. They have been here for forty years. William Rockhill and Thomas Rockhill and others. The first church was the M.E. at Rockport.
The first horse mill at Rockport and was owned by Isaac Parker.
[history book published in 1880 and submitted by Norita Shepard Moss]
© Genealogy Trails