John Allison, an emigrant from Pennsylvania. He settled in Congress Township, Wayne County, in January, 1820. That township had been but recently organized. Under the laws then in force it required fifteen legal voters to accomplish an organization. There were about that number in the township at that time, being one family to 2 1/2 square miles.
James Allison emigrated from Jefferson County, Ohio, to Perry Township during March, 1818. His wife and six children, namely, John, Alexander, Mary, Ann, Jane, and Catherine, constituted his family at that date. Of the sons and daughters mentioned, Alexander is the only survivor in Perry. Mrs. Jane, wife of Daniel Ellenbarger, and Miss Catherine Allison, reside in Mohican Township. Mr. Allison died May 2d, 1839, at the age of sixtyfour years. His wife had died in April of the previous year at the age of sixty-two years. Mr. Allison and wife died upon the place he originally purchased of David Smith, being fifty acres in section 2.
Death of Arthur Campbell, Sen.
Alexander Allison was an eye-witness of this event, which is mentioned in another place. It was on the premises of Mr. Allison's uncle, John Pittinger, whose land was in process of being cleared. Messrs. Campbell and Pittinger were sitting upon the ground near a tree, engaged in conversation, when an oak tree, which had been several hours burning at its base, commenced falling in the direction of where the men were stationed. Mr. Allison, who was near, but outside the range of the falling tree, happened to discover the danger, and instantly notified the men. Mr. Pittinger escaped by seeking refuge behind a tree near which they were sitting; but Mr. Campbell, being less active, was struck, while in the act of rising, upon the back by a heavy limb, crushing the bones and producing instant death.
Henry Buffamyer immigrated to Perry Township in May, 1826, and purchased of Joseph Carr the half section of land, parts of which are now owned by David and Matthew Buffamyer. He died on the last day of March, 1849, aged eighty-six years. His widow is at this time (January 23d, 1862) residing with her son David, and although she has attained the age of eighty-one years, her health and faculties are but slightly impaired.
John Carr entered two quarters of land, a part of which is now owned by Samuel Nay lor, in Mohican Township, December, 1810. During the following year he removed his family from Tuscarawas County, and in March, 1811, commenced his improvement on the part of the land above described. In the spring of 1814 he sold his land to John Ewing, and purchased two quarters in Montgomery, and two quarters in Perry Township, a part of one of which latter purchase is now owned by John Allison. He removed to the land in Montgomery Township now occupied by Samuel Horn, Mrs. Horn, Mr. Harlan, and Mr. Weidler. His house was erected upon the place now occupied by Mrs. Horn, where he remained till his death, which occurred April 1,1836, in the sixty-fifth year of his age. Mr. Carr's whole life, from the age of seventeen, was passed among the pioneers, and in the wilderness of Pennsylvania and Ohio. Boy though he was at the age above mentioned, he removed to Washington County, Pennsylvania.
During Wayne's campaign against the hostile Indian tribes he acted as spy. Shortly after the close of the war he married in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and removed with his wife to what was the then Northeastern Territory, living first in what became afterward Jefferson, and then in the country of which Tuscarawas County now forms a part. From the latter county he removed, as above stated, to a quarter of the land he had previously entered in Mohican Township. When he removed to Mohican his family consisted of his wife and eleven children, namely, Thomas, Nicholas, Nancy, Hugh, Joshua, Benjamin, John, Margaret, Susan, Samuel, and Aaron.
Hugh Carr (son of John, whose name is included among the children above mentioned) removed to the land in Perry Township, which he improved and has since occupied.
Indian Conspiracy against the Whites.
In the fall or early part of the winter of 1812 the family of William Bryan, residing on the Jerome Fork, about a mile and a half below Jeromeville, were one afternoon surprised by the appearance of a couple of Indians. As the friendly Indians of the neighborhood had all been removed, their presence occasioned suspicion. They asked for food, and while it was being prepared a girl was dispatched to the fort to give the alarm. Thomas Carr and the Frenchman, Jerome, immediately armed themselves and started in pursuit, but before they reached Mr. Bryan's house the Indians had taken their leave and pursuit was abandoned. On the same night these Indians visited the house of John Collyer, as described in the narrative of Thomas Newman. It was afterward learned that they visited Goshen, Tuscarawas County, for the purpose of inducing some of their relatives to return with them to the Huron River country, where the hostile Indians had congregated.
Mr. John Carr received a letter from Captain McConnell stating that he had obtained information from his captives that an extensive conspiracy had been formed among the Indians in the Huron country, to murder the inhabitants about Jeromeville and vicinity, and to burn their dwellings. The Indian who had communicated this intelligence was a former friend of Mr. Carr, and made the disclosure to Captain McConnell in order that he might advise Mr. Carr of his danger. The name of this Indian was Phillip Ignatius. The result of the battle at Fort Stephenson and on the peninsula, probably destroyed this and many other bloody schemes of the Indians.
A War Panic - Erection of the Fort at Jeromeville.
Soon after the surrender of Hull at Detroit, in the fall of 1812, and on the day following the first massacre on the Black Fork, a party of unarmed soldiers from Hull's army, passing on their way eastward, gave information to the neighbors, (who had assembled at Jerome's place for the purpose of devising measures of safety,) that as they were opposite a point in the forest about a mile and a quarter west of Jerome's, they heard the voice of a man a few rods from their trail engaged in very earnest prayer, and uttering loud cries for mercy. The loud and vehement language of the man led them to conclude that he was a captive in the hands of savage Indians, and that he was making his last prayer. Their story created quite a panic, in the midst of which George (brother of Adam) Poe, who was traveling on horseback from Wooster to Mansfield, appeared among them. Having listened to the statement of the soldiers, he immediately returned on his way to Wooster to procure assistance from Bell's army, then quartered there. American government, was arrested by Gen. Bell and confined in the Wooster jail. Robert Newell and John Carr visited Gen. Bell, and, on a representation of the facts, procured Jerome's release. While he was incarcerated at Wooster, the Indians at Jerometown were removed to Urbanna, and Mr. Carr is of opinion that the wife and daughter of Jerome voluntarily joined the Indians at the time of their removal.
Being a man of unusual weight, and urging his horse forward with great speed, the animal (although a splendid one) gave out when he reached Killbuck. Here procuring a fresh horse of Nathan Warner, he completed his journey to Wooster. Gen. Bell immediately sent a detachment of sixty soldiers, under Captain Nicholas Murray, to the relief of the inhabitants. Night overtook them at the Killbuck, where they were met by the fugitive families of John Carr. Christopher Trickle, Matthew Williams, Robert Newell, and Ezra Warner. Three other families, namely, Daniel Carter's, Jacob Fry's, and Benjamin Cuppy's, passed the night in the neighborhood of what is now New Pittsburg, and early on the following morning joined the other families and military force in Killbuck. Under the protection offered by Captain Murray, all the families, except Mr. Carter's, (which continued their journey to Tuscarawas,) returned to Jerome's Place, where a fort was immediately erected.
Removal of live Indians from Jerometown.
These Indians, Mr. Carr states, with the exception of one family, (Qua-qui-ow-wha, which removed to Canada immediately after the declaration of war,) were all friendly to the whites. The order of the government to Gen. Bell for their removal was issued at their own request.
Jerome and Family.
During the early part of the war, Jerome, on the intimation of an enemy that he was not loyal to the [missing text]
ARTHUR CAMPBELL, SR.
Arthur Campbell, Sr., emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Perry Township, in May, 1815. He entered the half section, a part of which is now owned by his son, Arthur Campbell, Jr., and other parts of which are owned by Jacob Brady, Thomas Osborn, Garrett Dorland, and Haynes Jones. His family, at the time of his removal, consisted of his wife and five children, namely, Mary Ann, Charles, Arthur, Margaret, and Daniel.
Mr. Campbell was killed by the falling of a limb from a tree, August 19, 1819, aged forty-five years.
According to the recollection of Arthur Campbell, Jr., the heads of families in Perry Township, when his father selected it as his home, were Cornelius Dorland, Henry and John Pittinger, John Raver, David and Daniel Williams, Henry Worst, Thomas Johnson, and Benjamin Emmons.
The first effort at Organizing a Village in Perry Township.
In 1815 or 1816, (about twenty years before Rowsburg was laid out,) an effort was made by John Raver to establish a town on the Wooster Road between the present site of Rowsburg and the Muddy Fork.
Beyond the naming of the village, which was called Elizabethtown, and the offering of some lots at a-public sale, no progress was made in building up the proposed town, and the scheme was abandoned.
When the place where Rowsburg now stands was a Wilderness.
Mr. Campbell aided in clearing the land now occupied by Rowsburg, and also assisted in harvesting the first crop that was raised on the ground after it was cleared. Michael Row, the father of him who afterward became the proprietor, owned and cleared the land at the time referred to.
First Death of a White Person in Perry Township.
The first person who died in the township was James Campbell. His body was removed to Wooster for interment.
First Grist and Saw-mill.
The first grist and saw-mill in Perry Township was erected by John Raver, in 1818, on the present site of the mill owned by Arthur Campbell, about onefourth of a mile north of Rowsburg, on what is known as Raver's Run. This mill, when built, was not only the first in the township, but also the first within what is now the limits of Ashland County. Prior to this, corn and corn meal were obtained on Owl Creek, at Odell's, and at Stibbs's, near Wooster. The mill ran about four months in the year, and was a great accommodation to the inhabitants of Perry, Jackson, and Montgomery Townships, and to those of Chester and adjacent townships, in Wayne County.
Joseph Chandler emigrated from Baltimore County, Maryland, to Tuscarawas County, in the fall of 1810. In 1811 he explored the country, a part of which now forms Perry Township, and selected and entered the southwest quarter of section 30 - cleared a few acres, erected a cabin, and formed a favorable acquaintance with the Indians.
In the autumn of 1812, war existing, and the settlers in the Tuscarawas country being much exposed to Indian depredations, the family sought a temporary refuge at Warren, Jefferson County, fourteen miles below Steubenville. Previous to their departure from the place last named, a body of men, consisting of Thomas Chandler, Alexander McConnell, and several others, being out on a reconnoitering tour, found a band of strange and savage-looking Indians lodged upon an island in the river between Goshen (a Moravian Indian town) and New Philadelphia. McConnell, who was a brave, reckless man, plunged his horse into the river, and swimming to the island, presented his rifle, and demanded of the Indians an instant surrender; with which demand the Indians complied, and came ashore, and were marched to New Philadelphia, where they were lodged in jail.
Fidelity of Indians toward Friends.
While the family were residing upon the Ohio River, the depredations upon the Black Fork were committed, and also the burning of the houses of Newell and others; and, although the cabin of Mr. Chandler lay within a few feet of the trail that this band frequently traveled, nothing about his house or premises were molested. This forbearance is attributed to the fact that Mr. Chandler was understood by the Indians to belong to the Society of Friends; and, during the acquaintance he had made with them, on his first visit prior to the war, he had cultivated amicable relations with them, and exchanged offices of civility and kindness. They loved to talk with Mr. Chandler about William Penn, who had paid their fathers for their land, and whom they referred to as "that good man."
In the spring of 1814, Mr. Chandler, with his family, removed to the land he had purchased in Perry Township. Here he remained until his death, which occurred on the 5th day of May, 1817. He was in the sixtieth year of his age. The surviving members of his family were his widow and ten children, namely, Rebecca, Thomas, Robert T. C, Joseph, Jacob, Shadrach, Eleanor, Henrietta, Alice, and John.
Joseph Chandler removed with his father's family to the land above described, in 1814, and is the present owner of ninety eight acres of the quarter originally entered by his father.
This gentleman was a Canadian Frenchman, having no Indian blood, (as has been supposed by some,) and had been several years a resident of the country, when Mr. Chandler immigrated to it. He was the owner of the quarter section upon a part of which is now the town of Jeromeville. He had thirty or forty acres under cultivation, and, with his Indian wife and an interesting young daughter, named Munjella, (Mary, in English,) resided in a comfortable cabin house. His home was noted for its hospitality, and his Indian wife was, when her opportunities are considered, an excellent housekeeper. After the war, he sold his land to Deardoff and Vaughan, of Tuscarawas County, for two thousand dollars, and the latter realized twenty-four hundred dollars from the first sale of lots.
Mr. Jerome was a man of Positive character—impulsive, generous, and brave—devoted in his friendships, and bitter in his enmities. His natural gifts of mind were good. He could converse fluently in French and Indian, and so as to be understood in English. To the early settlers, he was of great service in furnishing them with provisions—some having expressed the opinion that they would have incurred the hazard of starvation, had it not been for the aid afforded by him. It is supposed that he was born in Lower Canada.
Captivity and Death of Jerome's Wife and Daughter.
When General Bell passed through this country on his way West, he ordered the construction of the block-house, at Jeromeville, for the use and protection of the white settlers. The Indians at Jerometown were also taken prisoners by him, and conveyed, under his charge, westward. Their town was burned, it is supposed by many, under the orders of General Bell, or by those acting under the authority of the Federal Government. He perpetrated or suffered the flagrant outrage of including among the prisoners the unoffending wife and innocent daughter of Jerome. Being dragged from a comfortable home, they were not enabled to endure the hardships and exposures to which they were subjected, and their death, within a few months afterward, was a consequence of the wrongs thus inflicted upon them. The only excuse given by the general was, that as Mrs. Jerome was an Indian woman, she might afford aid and comfort to unfriendly persons of her race; but what reason he offered in palliation for taking off the young and helpless daughter is not known. Jerome had a warm affection for his wife, who was the daughter and sister of distinguished chiefs; and, although he was subsequently married to a white woman, never relaxed his love for the memory of his first wife, and never lost an opportunity to express his vehement indignation of the act of cruelty by which the liberties and lives of his dear ones were sacrificed.
Johnnycake and his Wife.
The Indian who was well known to the early settlers by the above name, was on intimate terms with the Chandler family. He was a tall, well-built, finelooking man, of genial temper, good moral habits, and enjoyed much the society of his friends.
His wife was a half-breed - the daughter of a white woman who had been taken prisoner by the Indians, near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Her mother, after having endured several years of captivity, made her escape, and returned to her white friends; leaving her little daughter among the Indians. This infant child remained among the Indians—attained the condition of womanhood—married- and became an exemplary and faithful wife and mother, and remarkable for shrewdness and tact.
Laying out of Jeromeville.
Mr. Chandler assisted in laying out the first lots in Jeromeville, in 1815. He drove the stakes for nearly or quite all the original lots of the town. He aided in the erection of the first house on the town plat. This house was built by Adam Teener, the first blacksmith in the place. The house is yet standing, on the lot recently owned by J. J. Hootman. This building has been used for a dwelling, a store and dwelling, a prayer meeting-house, a blacksmith shop, and, finally, a wood-house, by Mrs. Goodman, the present occupant of the premises.
Wild Beasts, Snakes, etc.
Wolves, bears, and wild cats were numerous, and destructive to the domestic animals of the pioneers. The wolves destroyed several hogs, and a three or four year old cow, belonging to Mr. Chandler. On the morning after the attack by the wolves, the remains of the cow were found about thirty rods from the house, her flesh being nearly consumed. Hogs were attacked within fifteen rods of the house. The first season that Mr. Chandler mowed the little prairie which formed part of his land, there were killed over two hundred massasauger or black rattlesnakes. In mowing they would often encounter a snake on an average of every rod of their progress. It was the custom of those whose business called them to the meadows or other places where snakes congregated in considerable numbers, to protect their feet and legs by wrapping them with bandages of hay or straw.
Loss of Clement V. Borland.
This child, an account of whose loss will be found elsewhere, was found about one and a half miles northeast of Mr. Chandler's, by Jonathan Hayes, and was brought, nearly lifeless from fatigue and hunger, to Mr. Chandler's mother, who bathed it in warm water, fed it with sweetened cream, and otherwise tenderly cared for the little fellow so judiciously that his restoration was effected. It was in the morning when the child was found, and Mr. Hayes brought it to Mrs. Chandler wrapped in the coat which he had taken from his own person, in order to protect it from the chill, and prolong life until more effectual restoratives could be obtained.
About Esquire Newell.
It was an oft-repeated dogma of Esquire Newell that "a man should always be a man—living or dying—fearless of all consequences." It occurred, however, that the strong man became prostrated upon what he and his friends supposed would prove his dying bed. Among the sorrowing group who took the old man's threatened dissolution much to heart, was his son Zachariah. His demonstrations of grief, on beholding the glazed eyes and other indications of rapidly approaching death, which had settled upon the features of his father, were given forth in very audible sobs and groans. The sufferer, with great effort, reached his hands to his face, and adjusted the lids over his own eyes. At this movement, Zachariah's grief became yet more uncontrolable, and the room was filled with his wails. The old 'squire, reviving somewhat by the noise, opened his eyes, and, turning his angry face upon Zachariah, commanded, in a husky but stern voice, that he cease his howling, and show himself " a man—living or dying!" This proved not to be the 'squire's "last illness," and he lived to narrate the story himself.
Aaron Cory immigrated to the county that subsequently became Tuscarawas, in the spring of 1802, from Washington County, Pennsylvania, and during the war of 1812 entered the southwest quarter of section 29, in Perry Township, and the quarter section in Montgomery Township, recently owned and occupied by Henry Andress. On the 17th of May, 1817, he, with his son John, commenced improvements upon the land in Perry Township. At this time his family consisted of his wife and eight children, the eldest of whom was John. Mr. Cory died in Crawford County during the year 1834, at the age of sixty-two years.
John Cory, Esq., the present owner of the land above described in Perry, erected "a camp" upon the place in the summer of 1817, and during that and the two following seasons occupied this place alone, prosecuting improvements, and at the close of the summer of 1818 had ten acres partially cleared, five of which were sown in wheat. The camp above mentioned was made of small logs, covering a space of about eight by nine feet, and five and seven feet in height, containing three sides and a "shed roof" falling back from an. open front. The structure had no floor or fireplace, and of course a window was unnecessary. The interstices between the logs were filled with moss. The "furniture" of his camp consisted of his rifle, axe, knife, fork, spoon, tin cup and two iron cooking vessels. His lodging place, when not upon the ground adjoining the burning brush and log heaps on the land he was clearing, was upon the ground floor of his camp. In this house, and thus employed, he spent a portion of the year 1817 and the summers of 1818 and 1819. During this period he exchanged work occasionally with Joshua Carr, of Montgomery Township, but with this exception his life was one of profound solitude, rarely meeting a human being.
Dangers of the "Fat in the Fire."
One evening while engaged in cooking supper for Mr. Carr (who was then at work for him) and himself, the vessel containing his meat capsized, pouring its whole contents into the blazing fire. No sound from wolves had been heard before this, according to Mr. Cory's recollection, but they evidently snuffed the good living afar off, as within twenty minutes after the accident the beasts appeared to be approaching from all directions, making the earth almost tremble with their fierce howls, and the men were glad to betake themselves to their camp supperless. The wolves serenaded the occupants of the camp with their hideous voices till dawn of day, but their dread of the fire which blazed in front of the camp deterred them from an attack.
It is supposed, from the large number that were discovered and killed in the vicinity, that a rattlesnake den existed in a ledge of rocks near the northwest corner of the quarter owned by Mr. Cory. On one occasion, in this neighborhood, Isaac Johnson and David Scott encountered and killed seven, when the men became sick, and discontinued the slaughter, although others were yet in view.
This Indian was well known to Mr. Cory during his residence in Tuscarawas County. He was of unmixed blood, but not, as is supposed by some, a chief. He had fought against Wayne during the Indian war, but in the last war with England acted as spy under Gen. Harrison.
This noted Indian was also an acquaintance of Mr. Cory. He, with another wild and savage-looking Indian, are the same who are referred to in the statement of Hugh Carr and Thomas Newman as having visited the cabins of Mr. Bryan and Mr. Collyer, on their route from the Huron River country to Tuscarawas County. He has often listened to the description by Phillip of the fight on the Black Fork.
Probably the Oldest Bible in the County.
Mr. Cory has in his possession a duodecimo copy of the Bible, printed in Oxford, England, 1727, which was originally the property of his father's grandfather, Joseph Freeman, as appears by his name, written on a blank leaf, bearing date November 30th, 1729. The volume is remarkably well printed and bound, giltedged, and silver clasps, and in a remarkably good state of preservation.
The First Sermon and First Prayer.
The first sermon and first prayer ever heard by Mr. Cory, were from the lips of Rev. James B. Finley, in Tuscarawas County. He was, at this time, ten years of age. This sermon is thus referred to by Mr. Finley in his autobiography, page 196: "At one time I made an appointment on Sugar Creek, but when I came to it there was no house for me to preach in. Accordingly I called the people together under a large oak in a small prairie. The people, however, would not come near me, but stood in the plum bushes around, and I preached to them, in their hidingplaces, Jesus Christ and the resurrection. At my second appointment they seemed less fearful, and I gained so much on their confidence that I ventured to make an appointment for my next round at Mr. Cory's house."
In the immediate vicinity of where Mr. Cory resided, Mr. Finley was the first preacher who had appeared in the neighborhood. The Moravian missionaries had confined their labors exclusively to the Indian towns, some miles distant.
James Dickason immigrated, with his wife, to Perry Township on the 17th of May, 1817. He was an emigrant from Pennsylvania. He leased and occupied for five years a part of section 16, and subsequently purchased of Edward Gallagher the southwest quarter of section 4, Perry Township, upon which he continues to reside.
Cornelius Dorland emigrated from Green County, Pennsylvania, to Columbiana County, in 1805; from thence he immigrated to Salt Creek Township, Wayne County, in April, 1811; from thence to the blockhouse in Wooster, during the fall of 1812; from the latter place to the land in Perry Township upon which now stands a part of the town of Rowsburg, where he arrived March 1st, 1814.
When he came to Perry Township his family consisted of his wife and the following children, namely, John, James, Garrett, Margara, Samuel, and Clement N. Subsequently, in the year 1815, David and Cornelius (twins sons) were born in Perry Township.
He entered the southeast quarter in section 15, upon which he resided about three months, and then sold to John Raver. [The latter-named person, when he removed to the place he purchased of Mr. Dorland, was regarded as one of the most wealthy and enterprising citizens of the township, but subsequently lost all his property, and died in the Ashland County Infirmary during the year 1861. Such is life!]
In June, 1814, Mr. Dorland purchased of Messrs. Hunter and O'Harra, residents of Pennsylvania, the north half of section 10, Perry Township, which was the place of his residence at the time of his decease, which occurred March 6th, 1816, aged forty-one 'years.
Loss of Clement N. Dorland.
On a Thursday morning in June, 1816, John Dorland, aged sixteen years, (whose mind had been considerably impaired in consequence of bodily disease,) left home with his little brother Clement, aged two years and seven months, on an excursion in the woods, and after a few hours the two became separated, John returning home alone. The country at this time was very wild and the settlement sparse. The alarm, however, was immediately given, and a search commenced by the whole neighborhood, engaging in the work people from Wooster, twelve miles distant. The first, second, and third days passed without any reward for the labor of the two hundred men who had been anxiously enlisted in the generous and humane work; and, as the forests were alive with wild beasts, the painful conclusion began to take possession of the minds of the family and friends of the little boy that he had fallen a victim to their savage hunger. On Monday morning, however, the fourth day after his disappearance, Jonathan Hayes, whose own illness had prevented him from participating with his neighbors in the search, discovered the boy under the following circumstances: he was out looking for his horse, and, just as he had found him, and while engaged in putting on the bridle, he heard a strange but subdued sound, among some fallen timber near him. He concluded that it proceeded from a wild beast, and not being physically able to grapple with a savage animal, he determined to first mount his horse, and then reconnoiter the vicinity whence the sound had proceeded. In putting this design into execution he soon discovered the lost child, the life of which, owing to hunger and exposure, was almost extinct. Although in the month of June, there was a frost, as there had been every morning since the loss of the child. Mr. Hayes took it up, wrapped it in his own coat, and conveyed it to Mrs. Chandler, the nearest neighbor, as related in another place. Nicholas Carr was the bearer of the glad tidings of the discovery of the boy to his parents and friends. The distance from the child's home to where he was found was about five miles.
Killed of Fright.
Daniel, aged eight years, son of John Raver, during the year 1815 was killed of fright under these circumstances: he was engaged at play with other children, when a mouse darted up the inside of his pantaloons, causing such fright as to produce convulsions and his death within a few hours.
The War Of 1812 Predicted by an Indian.
While Mr. Dorland was residing upon Salt Creek, twelve miles south of Wooster, he was visited by an Indian acquaintance named Lyons. This was in the fall of 1811. He expressed to Mr. Dorland the opinion that within a few months Great Britain and the United States would be engaged in a war, and in case this should occur, that the Indians generally would take sides with England. He, however, gave his voluntary pledge to Mr. Dorland to protect him and his family to the full extent of his power, warning him at the proper time of his danger, etc.
The Ashland Times of November 24, 1859, contained the following:—
After an illness of twenty days, died at his residence, near Rowsburg, November eleventh, Dr. Abraham Ecker, in the seventy-fifth year of his age. He was a faithful brother in the church for more than forty years, and died in full hope of a blessed immortality. He emigrated from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in May, 1818, and was known as a physician upwards of thirty years. He leaves a kind and loving companion, ten children, seventy-five grandchildren, and twenty great-grandchildren, to mourn his loss. But they need not sorrow as those who have no hope:—
"Friend after friend departs:
Who has not lost a friend?
There is no union here of hearts,
That find not here an end."
His family have lost an affectionate husband, a kind and indulgent father. He has been called away by the "grim bailiff of the grave," but his precepts linger still. He has been called to lie down in the narrow tomb, but the memory of one so dear cannot perish. The example he has given cannot pass unnoticed; the pattern he laid down cannot be forgotten; and we would not be human could we remain unmoved and not startle at the announcement. We would not be human could we restrain our grief— restrain our tears. Oh, no! but we sorrow not as those without hope. We believe he died in the Lord, and now sweetly sleeps in Jesus, and, in the morning of the resurrection, will arise to immortality and eternal life. His seat is now vacant, his gentle footsteps are no longer heard, his faltering voice no longer greets our ears, his aching eyes are forever closed to terrestrial objects, his throbbing heart has ceased to beat, his weary head is now at rest, his suffering and attenuated form is now part and parcel of the cold, damp earth, and reposes by the side of those who preceded him to the "silent city of the dead." May the Lord whom he served be our comfort and support. May he sanctify this solemn and trying bereavement to our present and eternal good. We hope to meet again, "when the day of life is fled," where sorrows and separations will be forever unknown. Oh! I would not live alway!
"A few short years—and then,
Impatient of its bliss,
The weary soul shall seek on high
A better home than this."
Benjamin Emmons entered a quarter section of land in Perry Township, in 1810; and from thence removed, in 1819, to Montgomery Township, on the farm recently occupied by his sons, (now owned by Matthias Boffenmire,) about one and a half miles north of Ashland.
Conrad Fridline emigrated from Pennsylvania to Perry Township, during the spring of 1821. His family consisted of his wife and two children, David and Ludwig. He purchased of David Smith the land upon which he has since resided.
John Fry emigrated from Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Plain Township, Wayne County, in May, 1824. He removed to the southeast quarter of section 16, Perry Township, in April, 1826; which tract, when it came into market, was purchased by his family, and is now occupied by his widow and son, Andrew J. Fry. He resided upon this place until his death, which occurred on June 10th, 1827. The widow and two sons, Rev. Jacob Fry and Rev. Andrew J. Fry, are the only survivors of his family.
Henry Grindle emigrated from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, to Perry Township, in April, 1825. He died in December, 1832, aged forty-six years.
William Hamilton emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Perry Township, in the fall of 1820—having previously purchased, of his brother Hugh, the northeast quarter of section 3, in said township. His family were composed of his wife and seven children—the only survivor of whom, now residing in Perry Township, is Mrs. Mary J., wife of John A. Campbell.
Mrs. Hamilton died in October, 1850, at the age of seventy-three years. Hugh Hamilton, Esq., of Lafayette, born September, 1821, in Perry, is the only son of William Hamilton, now a resident of the township.
Ancient Fortifications and Mounds in Jackson and Perry Townships.
Upon the land in Jackson Township, now owned by John M. Livingston and John Ramsey, about a mile northeast of Lafayette, are the remains of what is supposed to have been an ancient fortification. This work is located on the western side of an elevated ridge, but its eastern line reaches the summit. Its shape is quadrangular. Before the timber was cleared by the race now occupying it, its outlines could be distinctly traced, but the plow has nearly obliterated them. The oak timber which was found growing upon its sides was equal in dimensions to any in the surrounding forests. When the ground was yet in its wild state, only twelve years since, the embankment was about eight feet at its base and eighteen inches in height, these dimensions being very regular. The area was about one and a half acres. Within the inclosure of the fort, about twenty-five years since, John H. Hamilton found a hard flint stone, highly polished surface, five inches in length, two inches at the base, and one and a half inches at the point. The center was encircled by a groove, in which he could bury the point of his finger.
Two ancient mounds also existed in Perry Township, on the farm originally entered by Hugh Hamilton. They were about thirty feet distant from each other, and occupied the summit of a hill. The largest was eighteen feet in diameter at its base, and rises four feet above the natural surface. This one still remains undisturbed, with the exception of having been cleared of its timbers. The smaller one was about twelve feet in diameter at its base, and was elevated about three feet above the natural surface. There were no indications that the earth of which these mounds were composed had been taken from the immediate vicinity of their location.
Some thirty years ago, when William Hamilton was excavating the earth for his cellar, the western side embraced the ground occupied by about one-half of the smaller mound. After the earth had been removed down to the natural surface, the remains of some wood, supposed to be a root, were discovered; continuing, however, the excavation, it proved to be a shaft of timber that had been placed perpendicularly below the surface. Following down the decayed wood, the men reached a quantity of coarse but pure sand, and a few inches below this a human skeleton; and yet below this two other skeletons, also imbedded in sand. The wood, from the point where it entered the sand, was found to be in a good condition of preservation. The bones of the skeleton were remarkably well preserved, including the teeth and the most delicate portions of those belonging to the fingers and toes. A few hours' exposure to the atmosphere dissolved all except the larger bones. One of the skeletons indicated that it had belonged to a person of immense size. James McMeeken, the largest man in the neighborhood, weighing over two hundred pounds, and having a remarkably full face, would pass the lower jaw of this skeleton over his own countenance without any difficulty. The end of the shaft referred to terminated at the depth of the lower part of the last skeleton. It had been dressed so as to present three sides, and the marks of the edged instrument used in dressing it were clearly visible. There were also imbedded in the sand, about a pint of a powdered substance, resembling Spanish brown paint; also a polished stone, about six inches in length, one inch in width, and half an inch in thickness—the sides and ends being rounded off. This stone was afterward used to sharpen a Dutch scythe, by Mr. Oner, a revolutionary soldier, and a resident, up to the time of his death, on the farm now owned by William Patterson.
John Hellman emigrated from Centre County, Pennsylvania, and settled in Perry Township, June 17th, 1818. He purchased of Elijah Charles the southwest quarter of section 3, which land he improved, and has, up to the present date, made his home. His family, at the time of emigration, consisted of his wife and three children, viz.: David, Mary, and Catherine. The first mentioned is now a resident of Jackson Township; Mary is the wife of Daniel Eshelman, of Lafayette, and Catherine is the wife of George Walkey, of Perry Township.
Thomas Johnson immigrated to Perry Township in 1814. He had several years previously resided in Jefferson County. His family at this date consisted of his wife, and sons Henry, Isaac, Jacob, and Benjamin, and six daughters. He died in 1826. Benjamin Johnson, now a resident of Vermillion Township, is the only surviving male member of the family.
Rudolph Kaufman immigrated to Perry Township from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in June, 1822, and purchased of Jacob Baker the two hundred and thirty-three acres in section 27, upon which he resided until the time of decease, which occurred March 11th, 1825, at the age of twenty-seven years six months and five days.
The surviving members of his family were his widow and one son. Emanuel, son of Rudolph Kaufman, was born upon the place above described July 31st, 1824, and now resides at the old homestead.
Jacob Klingaman emigrated from Berks County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, to Perry Township, in May, 1817, and entered the northwest quarter, section 8, in said township. The east half of this section he subsequently surrendered, and retained the west half. Himself and wife yet occupy the last-named place.
John Kraemer immigrated to Perry Township from Pennsylvania, October, 1829, and purchased of John Gorsuch the farm which is now owned and occupied by Samuel Buchanan. During the last three years Mr. Kraemer has been a resident of Rowsburg.
Jacob Lash emigrated from Washington County, Pennsylvania, and arrived in Perry Township in the early part of the spring of 1824. Jacob Onstott and himself jointly purchased the southeast quarter of section 8, which they subsequently divided. Mr. Onstott resided upon his half quarter until his death, and Mr. Lash still continues to occupy his half. When he removed to this county his household consisted of his wife and two children, and a brother-inlaw, Uriah Ackley.
Peter Lash immigrated to Perry Township, and leased the farm now owned and occupied by Peter Mang, in the fall of 1823. His family at this time consisted of his wife and five children, namely, Elizabeth, William, Susannah, Peter, and Charity A.
Mr. Lash died in July, 1838, at the age of seventy-eight years. * He had served in the war of the American Revolution, and during the last years of his life received a pension for his services. Of his children above mentioned, William and Susannah (the latter the wife of Robert Nelson) are the only survivors who now (January, 1862,) reside in Perry Township.
Philip Mang, in 1816, entered seven quarters of land in Perry Township. Upon one of these quarters resides his son Samuel, upon another Peter.
He was an emigrant from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and when he visited the county he made his home with Jerome.
John Maurer removed to Plain Township, Wayne County, in November, 1821. He was an emigrant from Pennsylvania. In April, 1825, he purchased and removed to the land in Perry Township, now occupied by William Adams. His family, at this time, consisted of his wife and eight children, the only survivors of whom, now residing in Perry Township, are his widow, his son William, and widowed daughter, Mrs. Ann Jackson. Mrs. Maurer, if she lives until the 18th of August, 1862, will be eightyseven years of age. Mr. Maurer died January 13th, 1860, aged eighty-three years and eight months.
Adam Reichard emigrated from Centre County, Pennsylvania, and removed to the east half of the northwest quarter of section 8, (which he had previously entered,) in April, 1829. His family, at this time, consisted of his wife and an infant son, Jacob. Mr. Reichard is among the very few in Perry Township who reside upon the place they originally entered.
James Scott removed, when a boy of seventeen years of age, with the family of his brother-in-law, Isaac Smalley, from Columbiana County, Ohio, to Perry Township, in November, 1816. With the exception of about two years, (which were spent in Wooster,) he has resided in Perry Township since the date named. He has, since 1825, owned and occupied the farm upon which he at present resides, and which land was first improved by him.
John Shissler was born in New Jersey, but while a young man, removed to Pennsylvania, where he remained about five years; thence removed to Jefferson County, Ohio, and in the spring of 1823 immigrated to Perry Township, where he married, and purchased of William Morgan the land which he now occupies. When he settled upon his land the country was very little improved, and, between Ashland and Rowsburg, was almost a wilderness. As supervisor of roads, he aided in clearing the timber from the Northern State road, between Wooster and Mansfield.
The nearest market for wheat was at Sandusky City, where it would command, at the outside, 50 cents per bushel; at Wooster, hogs were sold, weighing two hundred pounds, for $1.50 to $2.00. Taxes, however, were low—the highest tax-payer in the township not paying, probably, more than $3.00.
John Smalley immigrated to Perry Township, and jpurchased the land that now constitutes the farm of Jacob Geackley, in the spring of 1818. He subsequently purchased of Edward Gallagher the farm upon which he died, and which is now owned by his sons, Richard and John P. The last named is now (January, 1862) residing in the house in which he was born.
Richard Smalley removed from Jefferson County, Ohio, to Perry Township, in the year 1815. Previous to the war of 1812 he had entered a half section adjoining the present town of Rowsburg—being the land now owned by his son, Richard Smalley, Jr. Mr. Smalley died in 1850, at the age of eighty-four years. The surviving male members of his family now residing in the county are, John Smalley, of Orange Township; Benjamin Smalley, of Vermillion Township; and Richard Smalley, Jr., who occupies the old homestead above mentioned, in Perry Township.
John Swarts immigrated to the northwestern territory, from Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, during the Indian campaign of General Wayne. He first selected his home in what is now Harrison County, Ohio. In 1813 he removed to that partgof Mohican which afterward became Chester Township, Wayne County. His family, at this time, consisted of his wife and the following named children: John, Henry, David, Elizabeth, Jacob, Daniel, Catherine, and Mary. Of these, the only one now residing in Ashland County is David Swarts, who owns and occupies the farm on the north line of Perry Township, one and a quarter miles northeast of Jeromeville—a farm widely known for its elegant and commodious outhouses, having a barn upon it which alone cost $3000.
John Tanyer, an emigrant from Pennsylvania, settled in Perry Township in 1824. He is now a resident of Montgomery Township, about one mile north of Ashland.
Frederick Wise removed from Centre County, Pennsylvania, to Perry Township, in May, 1822. His family consisted of his wife and seven children. He had entered his land, being the southeast quarter of section 18, in the year 1815. While exploring the country for the purpose of making his selection, he made his home with Baptiste Jerome. Mr. Wise yet resides upon the land he originally entered.
Henry Worst, in the year 1814, entered the northeast quarter of section 14. This quarter was regarded as a choice one, and several persons who had been exploring the country had selected it, and sat out for the Canton Land d*ffice, within a few hours of each other, to make the entry. In this instance, "the race was to the swift." In company with William McMullen, who had selected the adjacent quarter, Mr. Worst had reached Wooster, traveling on foot, and had called at the tavern of that little place for refreshments. While their food was being prepared, information reached them that they would be soon followed by two men on horseback, known to be after the same land. Without waiting for their refreshments, they immediately pushed forward and reached Canton in advance of their pursuers, and made the entries they had shown. On March 20th, 1815, Mr. Worst and family removed to his land. He had emigrated from Pennsylvania. His household consisted of his wife and eight children, the only survivors of whom, now residents of Ashland County, are Samuel Worst, who occupies the old homestead, and Mrs. Margaret, wife of John Keener, of Jackson Township. Mr. Worst is now (February, 1862) in the seventy-seventh year of his age.
Henry Zimmerman emigrated from Centre County, Pennsylvania, to Jackson Township, during June, 1823. Within the same year he purchased, of Daniel Goodwin, eighty acres in section 3, Perry Township, which he improved, and upon which he now resides. When he removed to this place his wife and five children constituted his family.
Source: "History of Ashland County", Williams, 1863, Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz
Copyright © Genealogy Trails