THE VILLAGES AND TOWNS OF ASHLAND COUNTY.
History of Ashland County, Ohio
[Cleveland, Ohio]:Williams Bros., 1876.)
Transcribed by K. Torp
THE VILLAGES AND TOWNS OF ASHLAND COUNTY.
Loudonville.-Perrysville.-Jeromeville.- Ashland.-Mifflin.-Savannah.- Orange.- Hayesville.-Perrysburgh.-Mohicanville-Sullivan -Lafayette.-Polk.-Ruggles Center.
IN the long future, it may be interesting to recur to the appearance, growth, and decay of villages and towns within the limits of this county. We will, therefore, proceed to notice the location and survey of each.
in Hanover township, was laid out August 6, 1814, by James Loudon Priest and Stephen Butler, and contained at the census of 1870, a population of eight hundred and eleven. It is located in the northeast corner of the township, on the banks of the Black fork of the Mohican, which was navigable, for many years, for small craft. The Pittsburgh and Fort Wayne railroad passes through it, and adds thrift and enterprise to the place. The road was constructed in the years 1852 and 1853, and, since its completion, the town has grown quite rapidly. Recently, many fine brick buildings have been constructed along its principal business streets, and a number of handsome and valuable brick residences put up, in different parts of the original town, and several very showy ones in a new addition above the depot. During the construction of the Walhonding canal, some thirty-five years ago, it was proposed to continue it up the lake and Black fork; and Loudonville was made a point. After that enterprise was abandoned, the village failed to improve, until the completion of the railroad. A good deal of business is now transacted in the town. It furnishes a good market for all the surplus grain and stock of the southeast part of the county. It has a spirited population, and contains two good hotels, a bank, several dry goods establishments, a drug store, a tin and hardware store, a foundry, a carriage manufactory, a large tannery, an excellent steam grist-mill, clothing stores, blacksmith shops, lumber yards, cabinet shops, shoe stores, a gun-smith, five or six fine churches, a newspaper, several physicians, and a lawyer. The country around the town is healthy, and the hills and valleys are quite romantic ; and many legends are related, concerning the red men that roamed up and down the streams of Hanover, three-quarters of a century agone.
in Green township, from the victory of Commodore Perry, September 10, 1813, was the second village in the present limits of Ashland county. It was laid out June 10, 1815, by Thomas Coulter. Its growth for many years was moderate. In the days of the construction of the Ohio canals, this village had large expectations concerning the route of the extension of the Walhonding canal. It is located on the Black fork, which was navigable to within a little distance of the village. As early as 1822 a number of flat-boats were built in its vicinity, loaded with the surplus products of Green township, and sent south. Since the completion of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago railroad, which passes through the town, its growth has been quite rapid. It has a station and warehouse, and large quantities of grain, and the surplus stock of the southeast part of the county are here purchased and shipped west. This adds greatly to the thrift and enterprise of the town. Its population is estimated at about five hundred. The village contains three stores, a foundry, a fine grist-mill, a tavern, a post-office, one Presbyterian, one Baptist, and one Methodist church, two blacksmith shops, a carriage and wagon manufactory, four physicians, and an excellent institution of learning. The town is surrounded by a rich valley of land, which is cultivated by hundreds of thrifty and prosperous farmers. The outlook for the future is very flattering. Her academy, under the management of Professor J. C. Sample, is an ornament to the town, and cannot fail to contribute to the intelligence and prosperity of her people.
in Mohican township, named after John Baptiste Jerome, the original proprietor of the land upon which it was surveyed, was the third town within the present limits of Ashland county, having been laid out February 14, 1815, by Christian Deardorff and William Vaughn; and is now estimated to contain a population of about four hundred. It is eligibly located in the northwest part of the township, on the old and much traveled road from Wooster to Mansfield, and prior to the construction of railroads, had a large patronage from the traveling public, and was a good business town. The interests of the town would be greatly enhanced by the construction of a railroad up the valley to Ashland, which project is now being considered by her most enterprising citizens. It contains two or three small stores, two hotels, a carriage manufactory, two cabinet shops, a harness shop, three blacksmith shops, several shoe shops, one wagon shop, a tailor, several groceries, two physicians, a fine mill, and an excellent school. It also has one Presbyterian, one Methodist and one Disciple church. It is surrounded by fine farming land and industrious farmers, whose patronage adds to the prosperity of the town. No better agricultural lands can be found in the State than those along the branches of Mohican; and all the farmers need is access to a ready market for all their surplus products, to make them wealthy and independent.
formerly Uniontown, in Montgomery township, was laid out by William Montgomery, July 28, 1815, and was the fourth town within the present limits of Ashland county. It retained the name of Uniontown, until the establishment of a post-office, in 1822, which was called Ashland, because there was another Uniontown in the State. The village thereupon received the name of Ashland. Mr. Frank Graham, now (1876) eighty-five years old, was the first postmaster.
Ashland is situated on sections seven, eight, seventeen and eighteen, and is estimated to contain a population of three thousand. In 1822, the village contained about twenty log cabins, one small dry goods store, a black-smith, two distilleries, a tannery, a shoemaker, a tailor, a hatter, a cooper, a wheelwright, a small tavern, and one physician. The inhabitants of the village were William Montgomery, farmer; Philip Shaffer, shoemaker; Elias Slocum, tavern keeper; Alanson Andrews, farmer; George W. Palmer, distiller; Samuel Urie, blacksmith; Joseph Sheets, tailor; Joseph Markley, distiller; David Markley; Amos Antibus, hatter; Ebenezer D. Nightingill, hatter; Mr. Barr, cooper; Francis Graham, storekeeper; John Croft, tanner; Alexander Miller, cabinetmaker; Joel Luther, physician. This was really the beginning of the village. The principal street was very crooked, and the cabins were ranged along either side of it. A grist and saw-mill or two, all propelled by water, soon appeared. Jacob Grubb, an excellent cabinetmaker, and other mechanics, soon erected dwellings. A demand for more goods introduced other business men, and more stores were opened. The original plat filled rapidly, and more room was required. Markley's addition was laid out, and, in a few years, Alanson Andrews, Francis Graham, Joseph Sheets and Christopher Mykrantz added their additions. Then, in 1846, Ashland became the seat of justice, and South Ashland was laid out. More recently, the additions of Rocky, Cowan & Myers, and Willis, have been added. Some of the original streets have been straightened and considerably extended, while Main and Orange streets have been paved and guttered with bowlders. The original cabins and frame structures have gradually disappeared, and been replaced by fine brick buildings along Main and other streets. For many years Ashland was noted for its excellent academy. This was suffered to be merged into the union school system in 1850. At present, her schools are in a prosperous condition. The town contains ten churches, nine Protestant and one Catholic. It has three banks, an Odd Fellows' hall, and a masonic lodge, two manufactories of agricultural implements, four blacksmith shops, two large steam grist-mills, three carriage and wagon manufactories, two steam saw-mills, two lumber yards, two large tanneries, four harness and saddle shops, four shoe stores, three hardware stores, three clothing stores, two hotels, five dry goods stores, four provision stores, three stove and tin stores; two silverware and jewelry stores, two bakery establishments, two printing offices, one gun store, three butcher shops, two furniture stores, one furniture manufactory, sixteen physicians, two dentists, thirteen lawyers, three livery establishments and two book stores.
The county buildings add to the business of the place during the sessions of the court, and the payment of taxes. The New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio railroad, with its warehouses and depot, is within the northern limits of the town, and adds to its property wealth. All in all, we conclude that in the future, as in the past, Ashland will go steadily forward in the increase of her population, in wealth, and number of valuable improvements. It is surrounded by a fine, productive country, and can sustain a much greater population.
formerly called Petersburgh, in Mifflin township, was laid out by William B. James, Peter Deardorff, and Samuel Lewis, June 16, 1816. It was located on the old State road leading from Wooster to Mansfield. For many years it was very thrifty, and, under the old stage era, and during the early settlement of Richland county, was well patronized by the traveling public. George Thomas erected the first tavern, which he conducted until about 1820. The removal of the old stage lines, and the construction of railroads, diverted travel to other lines, and for many years the village has been sustained almost exclusively by the patronage of the farmers of Mifflin. It has one tavern, one store, one cabinet shop, one blacksmith shop, one grocery, a post-office, an excellent district school, one church, one physician, and one shoe shop. It contains a population of about one hundred and fifty.
formerly Vermillion, in Clearcreek township, was laid out December 25, 1818, by John Haney. It is situated on a beautiful plateau, on the old Vermillion road, and contains a population of about four hundred. It has five churches, two dry goods stores, one tavern, two grocery stores, a wagon and carriage shop, a tannery, two black-smith shops, a saddle and harness shop, a tailor shop, a cabinet shop, a tin shop, and a number of mechanics. It has, also, a fine academy, which is well patronized, and adds thrift and spirit to the town. Its inhabitants are, largely, the descendants of Scotch-Irish, intermixed with people of New England birth. The town is noted for its adhesion to total abstinence from every form of intoxicating drinks, and, in this respect, is a safe resort for young men seeking an education, and preparing for future usefulness.
in Orange township, was laid out by Amos Norris and John Chilcote, April 22; 1828. It is located on section twenty-eight, on a branch of Mohican creek, in the midst of splendid farming lands. It was for many years a flourishing village; but its nearness to the county-seat has somewhat checked its growth. It contains one hotel, one dry goods store, one or two groceries, a blacksmith shop, two tanneries, a shoe shop, a harness manufactory, a tailor shop, a post-office called Nankin, a physician, a Presbyterian and a Methodist church, and a good school. The New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio railway passes near the village and has a small station and telegraph office. The village is estimated to contain two hundred and fifty inhabitants.
situated near the center of Vermillion township, was laid out October 26, 1830, by John Cox and Linus Hayes. The State roads running from Wooster to Mansfield and from Ashland to Loudonville, intersect each other in the center of the town, and constitute its principal streets. It contains two dry goods stores, a wagon and carriage manufactory, two or three blacksmith shops, a cabinet shop, a shoe shop and store, two or three groceries, two hotels, one or two boarding houses, a good district school, one Presbyterian, one United Presbyterian, and one Methodist church, post-office, two physicians, and many pleasant residences. The population and business are on the increase. In 1875, a newspaper was started, in connection with Vermillion institute, which has for many years been the ornament of the town. The population of Hayesville is estimated at about six hundred. It is surrounded by a good farming community, and must continue to increase in wealth and population.
in Jackson township, was laid out October 13, 1830, by Josiah Lee and David Buchanan. It has a population of about one hundred and fifty. It has one tavern, two small stores, a shoe shop, a blacksmith shop, a wagon manufactory, a cabinet shop, a tailor, and one church. The post-office is named Albion. The village has had a gradual growth, and is supported by a good farming community.
in the southwest part of Mohican township, was laid out July 2, 1833, by Simeon Beall and Henry Sherradden. It contains a population of near two hundred, and has three churches, a hotel, one store, a grist-mill propelled by steam and water, a woollen manufactory a wagon shop, a shoe shop, a harness manufactory, a carriage shop, a paint shop, a cabinet shop, a good school, a post-office, and two physicians. The people of the village are wide-awake and prosperous. The village has very fine water-power, and is healthfully located in the midst of excellent farming lands. It has a fair trade, and is mostly supported by the farmers.
situated in the center of Sullivan township, was laid out in 1836 by Sylvanus Parmely, Ira Palmer, Joseph Palmer and Joseph Carlton, whose lands formed the corners of the center. It contains one tavern, one dry goods store, one shoe shop, one grocery, one carriage shop, one blacksmith shop, one cabinet shop, one harness shop, one steam saw-mill, four good churches, a good school, and is eligibly situated. Its population is about two hundred, and mostly from New England. The post-office bears the name of the village. Its principal support is derived from the neighborhood trade. The population of the township is largely engaged in the dairy business and grazing.
in the center of Perry township, was laid out by Michael D. Row, April 15, 1835. It is situated on the main road from Ashland to Wooster, and has a population of about two hundred and fifty. It has two stores, one tavern, one wagon and blacksmith shop, a large tannery, a cabinet shop, two harness manufactories, three churches, a fine school arid a post-office. It also has one physician. The country about the village contains many valuable farms, and the patronage of the farmers contributes largely to the growth and prosperity of the town. There is also considerable travel.
in the north part of the township of Perry, was laid out in the spring of 1835, just prior to the platting of Rowsburgh. The original proprietors were William Hamilton and John Zimmerman. The location of the village at that time, gave promise of a fair business and considerable growth, being situated on a much traveled road. The country around the village is very productive, and is filled by industrious, frugal, and prosperous farmers. It has one store, a blacksmith, a cabinet-maker, a shoemaker and other mechanics, a good school and one or two churches. The population has not increased of late years.
in Jackson township, was laid out May 4, 1849, by John Kuhn. It is located near the New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio railway, and contains about one hundred and fifty inhabitants. It has a good store, a tavern, a steam saw-mill, a harness manufactory, a blacksmith shop, a post-office, a railroad station, two churches, a good school and two physicians. Its growth for the last few years has been quite rapid.
in the center of Troy township, became a village in 1851, upon the addition of Norris division. The corners were resurveyed and consolidated in 1868, and platted. Its post-office is called "Nova." It has one tavern, one store, a blacksmith shop, a steam saw-mill, a shoemaker, a cabinet-maker, a tailor, a tin shop, a harness makers and about forty dwelling houses, one church and school-house. It also has one lawyer and a physician. The roads from Sullivan and from Ashland cross at right angles, and form the principal streets. It has a fair neighborhood trade.
is located on the intersection of the Ashland, New London and Sullivan roads, and contains a post-office, a grocery store, a blacksmith shop, two shoe shops, one Methodist and one Congregational church, a school, and twelve residences. The old point of trade in the township was the corner west of the center; but since the old trade route to Mohican has been abandoned, in consequence of the completion of the Atlantic & Great Western railway (now the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio), through Ashland, it has gone down.
© Genealogy Trails