Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Ashtabula County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 


Biographies


- G -

Aurora W. Giddings
Anoka (MN).  Physician.  Born Nov 2, 1830 in Williamsfield Ashtabula county O, son of Aranda P and Sarah (Ives) Giddings.  Married Sept 28, 1856 to Mary Ellen Simons.  Attended high school and Allegheny (Pa) College; Buffalo Medical School Buffalo N Y; graduated from Albany (N Y) Medical School 1854; moved to Anoka Minn 1854 and has been engaged in practice there to date.  Has served as coroner of Anoka county; chairman City Board f Health; chairman of Board of Education.
 [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]



Mrs. Rosetta Luce Gilchrist
GILCHRIST, Mrs. Rosetta Luce, physician, author and poet, born in Ashtabula, Ohio. In youth she was a student in the Kingsville, or Rexville, Academy, and later in Oberlin College. She taught in the Cleveland public schools, and after graduating from the Cleveland Homeopathic College, gained a lucrative practice in the medical profession. It seems evident to those who have read her "Apples of Sodom," "Margaret's Sacrifice," "Thistledew Papers," and numerous poems, which were written during the press of business or housekeeping affairs, that she would have attained a high place among American authors. She also possesses talent as an artist, and is a member of the Woman's National Press Association; also of the Cleveland Woman's Press Association, and president of the Ashtabula Equal Rights Club. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. - MS - Sub by FoFG]



Adelia C. Graves
GRAVES, Mrs. Adelia C, educator and author, born in Kingsville, Ohio, 17th March, 1821. She is the wife of Dr. Z. C. Graves, a noted educator both north and south, founder and for forty years president of Mary Sharp College, in Winchester, Tenn. She is the daughter of Dr. Daniel M. Spencer and Marian T. Cook, and a niece of P. R. Spencer, the originator of the Spencerian system of penmanship. The mother of Mrs. Graves was a woman of fine intellect. Her people were wealthy and cultured, all the men having for generations had the benefit of collegiate education. Her father especially excelled in the Greek and Latin languages. Perhaps one of the most critical linguists of the time was his youthful granddaughter. For years she taught classes of young men in languages in the Kingsville Academy, who desired her instructions in preference to all others. Many of them have since attained positions as lawyers, ministers, physicians, presidents and professors of colleges. The present president of Beyrout College, in Syria, Asia Minor, was for some time a student with her, especially in the Latin language. Mrs. Graves may be said to have inherited the poetic temperament from both sides of the house. The Mary Sharp College under Dr. Graves' presidency acquired a national reputation, and he avers that its success was owing quite as much to her wise counsels and management as to his own efforts. There were few positions in the college she did not, at some time, occupy, save that of mathematics. For thirty-two years she was matron and professor of rhetoric, belles-lettres, elocution and English composition, at different times, as need be, teaching French, ancient history and ancient geography, English literature, or whatever else was required. The published works of Mrs. Graves are "Seclusaval, or the Arts of Romanism" (Memphis, Tenn., 1870), a work written to deter Protestants from sending children to Catholic schools, and "Jephtha's Daughter," a drama, (Memphis, 1867). Besides these are two prize stories. Twelve or thirteen small volumes were also compiled from the Southern Child's Book, at the request of the Southern Baptist Sabbath School Union, for the use of Sabbath-schools. Mrs. Graves for years edited and wrote for that publication. She wrote the "Old Testament Catechism in Rhyme" (Nashville, Tenn., 1859), on request of the same society, for the use of the colored people while still slaves, for which she received twenty cents a line, they, her employers, saying, they knew of no one else that could do it. Her unpublished poems are numerous. Mrs. Graves has found a place in "Woman in Sacred Song," and "Southland Poets," and she is mentioned in the "Successful Men of Tennessee" for her extraordinary financial ability, having managed a business of fifteen-thousand to twenty-thousand dollars per year for years at a time, most successfully. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. - MS - Sub by FoFG]


Chester A. Green
Postmaster and hotel keeper at Iola, Gunnison county, (CO) and in that neighborhood conducting a large and flourishing ranch and stock industry, Chester A. Green has found the favors of fortune by seeking them where they were to be found, and compelling them to come forth at the bidding of his sterling worth, honest industry and persistent and commanding efforts wisely applied. He was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, on September 2, 1844, and is the son of Allen J. and Emma P. (Cleveland) Green, natives of New York state who became residents of Ashtabula county in early life and were reared, educated and married there. They were teachers in the public schools of the county before their marriage, and after that event the father became a farmer and also worked at cabinetmaking. The father died in Ohio and the mother is now living at Gunnison, this state, aged eighty-one years. Orphaned by the death of his father when the son was but little over a year old, the latter was tenderly reared by his mother, whose constant attention to his wants and wise counsel were the forming influences of his character, and are among his most pleasant recollections. She valued education for her children highly, and sent him to a good academy at Kingston to complete his after a thorough course in the public schools. He was a schoolmate of the late United States senator, Hon. Benjamin Wade, of Ohio, and some other men who won distinction in professional or public life. After leaving school he worked for a time at the trade of a machinist, having a decidedly mechanical turn in both metal and wood work. In 1867 he went to California, and in that state he lived twenty-one years, working as a machinist and engineer in the summer months and bookkeeper in winter. While so employed he made for himself a cabinet tool chest with twenty drawers, which he still owns, and which is a beautiful piece of workmanship as well as a most convenient depository for tools. It contains thirty different kinds of hard wood, all polished and artistically finished, the raw material of which cost him one hundred dollars, the cabinet being now valued at five hundred dollars. As a specimen of the skill he has for and the work he can do in the higher, lighter and more graceful lines of his handicraft it is worthy of special admiration and mention, showing that had he chosen to devote himself to ornamental construction in wood and metal work he might have attained the rank of an artist. He also has a one-horse-power engine of the old style which he made almost wholly by hand several years ago. In 1888 he became a resident of Colorado, and locating in Gunnison county, engaged in the cattle business, which has since occupied his time and energies on an expanding scale and with cumulative profits. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, one hundred of them under irrigation and good cultivation, and runs a herd of some two hundred fine cattle. His ranch is on the Gunnison river and along the railroad at Iola, where he also keeps a hotel and is postmaster. The location is one of the picturesque places of the state, a long, narrow valley surrounded with grand old mountains and containing as fine trout fishing as can be found in the world. Many sportsmen spend time at this resort, and business men and others also make it the place of their summer outings. Mr. Green has yielded to the genius of the place in providing a good hotel for its visitors and ten cottages in addition for those who prefer to keep house. With these he has a profitable business while ministering to the comfort and enjoyment of hundreds of his fellow men. It goes almost without the saying that he is a popular and widely known boniface, and that his activity in promoting the welfare of his community is highly appreciated by its people. On Thanksgiving day, 1878, he united in marriage with Miss Minnie A. Lewis, who was born and reared in San Francisco, where her parents, John R. and Fannie M. (Fotheringham) Lewis, natives of New York, were pioneers. Mrs. Green died in 1901, leaving four children, Abbie F., Emma J., Minnie A. and Chester A. Their father is a stanch Republican and active party worker. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows, holding his membership in each in California. It should be stated to his credit, that although he has been mainly a man of peace, and in the work of the world belongs to the department of construction, during the Civil war, when Cincinnati was threatened by Morgan's invasion of Indiana and Ohio, in obedience to the call of the Governor for minute men to defend the city, he was a member of the Squirrel Hunters' Brigade that responded to the call, and now, when the momentous conflict is fading into the shade of history, he often shows his honorable discharge from the service with commendable pride.  (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

 

 



BACK -- HOME


Copyright Genealogy Trails