Daniel Stewart was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, November 18, 1762. When fifteen years old he enlisted as a soldier in the revolutionary army, and served till the close of the war. He then removed to Sussex county, New Jersey, where he engaged successfully in business for several years and accumulated some means. In 1801 he exchanged his property in New Jersey for two shares in the Ohio Company's purchase and closed out his business with a view to moving west. Colonel William Stewart, a son who accompanied his father to Ohio, says:

"In October, 1802, father returned to the old farm to rig out a team for emigration to the northwestern territory. The preparations having been completed, a day and hour were set for starting. At the appointed time, 8 o'clock a.m., about a hundred friends and neighbors from all quarters came flocking in to bid us farewell, and I shall never forget the scene that followed. They all thought we were going so far beyond the world's boundary that we should never be heard of again. The hubbub lasted till 5 o'clock in the afternoon before father could say good bye with a strong voice, and then we started. Went three miles and camped for the night. The next morning we moved on. The teams were heavily loaded and the roads tolerable till we approached the Alleghany mountains when they became terribly rough and dangerous. Crossing the mountains the family were afraid to ride in the wagons and, therefore, walked this part of the way. At the very steep descents father would cut saplings, fasten them top foremost to the tail of the wagon and then go down, depending on the saplings as a brake. The journey was a long, wearisome and dangerous one, but we finally reached the Hockhocking in safety.."

This was in winter. Mr Stewart settled on a fine tract of land on the river about a mile above the mouth of Federal creek. Possessing considerable means, great energy, and uncommon business talent, he soon had the best farm in the county. As early as 1810 he had an orchard of three thousand bearing fruit trees—two thousand peach, and one thousand apple trees—at that time probably the largest orchard in the state. As his means increased so did his benevolence and public spirit. In business he left no points unguarded, and no man could defraud or overreach him with impunity; but if he husbanded closely he gave liberally, and was always accessible to the claims of the really needy, and of educational and religious movements. He was one of the first two justices of the peace in the township (Elijah Hatch being the other), and acted as such, altogether, more than twenty years. He was county commissioner for many years, and was appointed by the legislature one of the early appraisers of the college lands, Captain Joshua Wyatt and John Brown being the other two. Few men have left more decided marks on the history of the county, in its social and business affairs, than Mr. Stewart. An active member of the Methodist church for sixty years of his life he always contributed liberally to the support of its ministers and the erection of churches. He died February 20, 1858.
Mr Stewart had fourteen children, viz: Andres, William, Charles, John, Ezra, George, Lois, Sarah, Mary, Lucinda, Harriet, Alexander, Daniel B., and Hiram.

[From "History of Athens County...." Charles M. Walker, 1869]


Rev John Stewart, has been a traveling preacher in the Methodist church for fifty years.

[From "History of Athens County...." Charles M. Walker, 1869]


Ezra Stewart, married Harriet, daughter of Esquire Henry Bartlett, in 1826, and spent his life in the mercantile business in Athens. He was a man of wonderful energy and endurance, and his unusual capacity for business is well remembered. He died in Athens, November 28, 1858.

[From "History of Athens County...." Charles M. Walker, 1869]


William Stewart came to this county with his father's family in 1802, and lived here nearly forty years. When seventeen years old he was elected a lieutenant in the militia, and was captain of a company raised here in 1812, which expected to be but was not called into the service. Some years later he was appointed a colonel. The contract for erecting the Ohio university building was awarded to him in 1817, and several years later the contract for building the county jail. In 1840 he removed to Lee county, Iowa. In 1847 he was elected superintendent of the common schools in that state, and during that and the next year organized one hundred and five school districts. He has held other public offices in Iowa.

[From "History of Athens County...." Charles M. Walker, 1869]


Daniel B Stewart, son of Daniel, was born on the old Stewart farm in Rome township, September 26, 1812. The first school he remembers and which he attended was kept by Jabez Bowman, on the hill about a quarter of a mile below the old homestead. This school was supported by contributions of it patrons. As he grew up Mr. Stewart developed a great fondness for machinery, and was never happier than when managing or handling it. He finally obtained his father's consent that he should go into the mill at Savannah as manager. Here he succeeded admirably, and without any instruction. After he had run this mill about two years he bought it of his father, run it two years more and then sold it to James E. and William T Hatch. The next two years he lived in Meigs county, engaging in the mercantile business at Rutland with his brother Alexander. Returning to this county he started a store at Coolville, and also bought the saw mill on the river two miles below Savannah. This was in 1836. In 1837 he mill was burned. Mr Stewart rebuilt it in 1838, putting in at that time the first patent Parker wheel used on the Hockhocking. In 1842 he added a grist mill, and in 1844 a woolen factory to the property. In 1864 he sold these mills, and in 1867 removed to the town of Athens, where he owns the old Miles or Gregory mill, and has added to it a woolen factory. Though not among the largest this factory is one of the best arranged and most complete in the country, and may challenge comparison with any of its size to be found east or west. It is capable of carding and spinning three hundred pounds of wool daily, and when the looms are all in, can make six hundred yards of cloth a day.
Mr Stewart has been one of the most energetic and useful business men in the county. At one time he was the owner of four mills on the Hockhocking, and part of the time also cultivated five farms in Rome township, raising as high as four thousand five hundred bushels of wheat in one year. He served as justice of the peace twenty-one years, and in 1860 was chosen presidential elector for this district.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]


Daniel B. Stewart, jr — Occupation: miller, was born in Stewart, Rome Township, Athens Co., Ohio, Oct. 2, 1859.  He lived here nine years, then moved with his parents to Athens, remaining there about twelve years, when he went to Colorado, in 1880, where he remained until July, 1882.  He then returned to Athens and thence came to Stewart, where he is now engaged in running the flouring mill known as Byron's mill, and is doing a good business.  His father, D. B. Stewart, now living in Athens, was the founder of the town of Stewart.  His mother, Sarah (Carter) Stewart, died in Athens eight or nine years ago.  Our subject is the only son now living.  He has five sisters - Matilda, now Mrs. D. M. Birchfield; Ruth S., who married C. Byron, deceased; Julia, now Mrs. J. M. Case, and Frank, now Mrs. S. B. Pickering.  Our subject bids fair to be, as was his father, one of Stewart's best businesmen.

History of Hocking Valley Ohio, pub. 1883


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!