Julia Carter Aldrich

ALDRICH, Mrs. Julia Carter, author, born in Liverpool , Ohio , 28th January, 1834. She was the fifth in a family of seven children. Her maiden name was Carter. Her paternal ancestors were New Englanders of English stock. Her mother’s parents, born and reared in Richmond , Va. , were of Scotch and German descent. Miss Carter began to write when quite young, making a successful attempt at the age of fourteen years. At seventeen she began to teach in a large village school, following that vocation for four years. During all the busy period of study and teaching, frequent contribut1ons from her pen, both of verse and prose, found place in various periodicals. In October, 1854, she was married to Joseph Aldrich, of New York . During the earlier years of her married life literary work was somewhat neglected, but believing that many fountains of evil had their origin in bad home management, for several years she did much earnest work for the home circle under various pen-names, "Petresia Peters" being the best known. Her articles written in the interests of humanity would make volumes. Mrs. Aldrich is the mother of three sons. Her husband died in 1889, at their country place, "Maple Grove Home," near Wauseon , Ohio.

[Source: American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.]

Samuel Allison

Samuel Allison, a native of Maryland, settled here in 1836, as a farmer. He reared a large family, some of whom have been well known in the county. Mr. W.H. Allison, a son of his, now lives in Chillicothe, but owns considerable property in Athens county.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Sylvanus Ames

Sylvanus Ames, also known as Judge Ames, was born at bridgewater, Massachusetts, March 26, 1771. Sylvanus Ames married Nabby Lee Johnson in 1795 and moved to the northwestern territory in 1798. They settled temporarily in Belpre and then moved to Ames Township in May, 1800, and settled on a farm. Mr. Ames was a trusted man who had good sense and good judgment. He was the second sheriff of the county, colonel of militia, trustee of the Ohio University for many years, and associate judge from 1813 to 1823. He was elected several times as representative to the state legislature. He was an active and liberal supporter of all educational and religious movements, and an acknowledged leader in the community for several years. He died September 23, 1823. Judge Ames' house became the favorite stopping place of the political leaders in southern Ohio, when making their long trips between the east and west.
Nabby Lee Ames was named Abigail Lee Johnson when she was born March 15, 1771. She was the eldest daughter of the Reverend Daniel Johnson and his wife, Betsy Lee. Her father was a Harvard graduate, and became pastor of the Christian Church in Harvard, Massachusetts. He later became a Chaplain in the American Army during the Revolutionary War where he died a short time later at the age of 30. Nabby was 6 ½ when her father died. Her mother, Betsy Lee Johnson, also died young and left Nabby Lee an orphan at the age of ten. Nabby lived with her grandmother or aunts in Salem, Marblehead, Newburyport and Boston. Her family and friends were very wealthy, so she was brought up on the finer things in life. On September 7, 1795 she married Sylvanus Ames. They had a lot in common. They were both born the same month, March 1771. Both of their fathers had graduated from the same class at Harvard, both were ministers, and both had died as Chaplains in the Revolutionary War. In 1797, their first son Hector Revere was born. Very soon after, they packed the little baby and some of their belongings and went west on horseback. In 1798, they were in Belpre, Ohio. The only place for them to live was in the school house that had been used for a singing school. There was only one room and a loft for storage. But, they had very few belongings so it didn’t matter much. They joked about the walnut beam that leaned against the loft. It had notches cut into it to get to the loft. They wrote back home and told of their black walnut stair case. Their second child, Elizabeth Johnson Ames, was born March 4, 1800. Two months later they moved to Ames Township. They took their belongings to the mouth of the Hocking River and loaded everything into a small boat and rowed up the Hocking to Federal Creek. They went up-creek until they reached the landing about a quarter of a mile from the home of Judge Ephraim Cutler. The Cutlers welcomed them and invited them to stay until their cabin was built. They unloaded their boat and placed their things a little way from the bank. During the night, a storm came and one of the frequent flash floods took their belongings. They found many of their things, but lost half of a barrel of sugar.
There weren’t many neighbors, but they all helped to build a cabin for the Ames family. The Cutlers, George Ewing’s family, Captain Benjamin brown’s family and probably others came from several miles away to help. The cabin had one large all purpose room with two little bedrooms, and a loft for storage. It wasn’t what Nabby was used to back East, but it was her own home. Nabby Lee Ames was not accustomed to the wilderness. Stories tell of her being alone with the children when her husband Sylvanus had to leave. She was scared of the wild animals she saw near her house. She took her children into the loft of her house and stayed there until they went away. She then took her children to the house of Mrs. Cutler to be safe. When she told about the animals, the Cutlers found out that the animals were Mr. Ewing’s cattle. Nabby Lee Ames became a fine pioneer woman. She made the best of the wilderness and plain home she had. Other stories tell that she would, on occasion, wear her fine dresses that she brought from the East. Nabby Lee and Silvanus Ames had 11 children, 5 boys and six girls. Two died as babies and one daughter died at the age of 16. All four of her living sons went on to become ministers. Bishop Edward Raymond Ames was the most famous of Nabby Lee's children.Nabby Lee Ames died in Athens at the home of her daughter, Lucy, at the age of 84. She is well remembered as a very influential woman of her time.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Elmer Armstrong,

youngest son of the preceding, was born in Alexander township, January 17, 1812, and now lives on the farm which his father settled upon in 1799. One of the apple trees, brought from Pennsylvania by his father in 1799, and planted on the place that year, is still living—measures seven feet seven and a half inches in circumference, and rarely fails to bear a good annual crop of apples. Mr. Armstrong married the daughter of Levi Booth, formerly of Alexander, and has one son and two daughters. He has for many years been well known as a prosperous farmer and successful dealer in live stock.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Thomas Armstrong,

born April 2, 1777, in Greene county, Pennsylvania, came to Athens county in 1799, and settled in Alexander township, where his son, Elmer Armstrong; now lives. Mrs. Alice Armstrong, wife of Thomas, was also a native of Greene county, Pennsylvania, and daughter of Col. Wm. Crawford, who served creditably in the revolutionary and Indian wars.
In March, 1799, Mr. Armstrong and wife, with their first child, then three months old, accompanied by Charles Harper, wife and child, put their movable goods, consisting in part of furniture, live stock, etc., and forty young apple trees, into a flatboat at the mouth of Muddy creek, on the Monongahela river, and set out for the northwestern territory. Landing at the mouth of the Hockhocking, in April 1799, the women and children, and live stock, were sent forward from this point by land to Athens, while the goods, provisions, etc., were poled up the river by Messrs. Armstrong and Harper in a pirogue. There was no road from Athens to Alexander (their destination), but the woods being tolerably open, they made "a rig" from poles, to which a horse was hitched, and thus their goods were hauled out. Provisions were scarce, and the new settlers depended mainly on hunting for meat, and on the skins of the wild animals, which the men very generally used, for clothes. Mr. Armstrong himself was never much of a hunter, but frequently received a share of the meat and skins for packing the game home for the hunters on his horse. The manner of packing bears and deer was to take the entrails out, skin the nose of the animal for a crupper for the horse, place the skin on the back of the horse, tying the skin of the fore-legs around his breast; then put on a second one, with the two flesh sides together. Buffalo skins were cut in strips and used for bed cords, and for harness "tugs" in hauling. On one occasion, Mrs. Armstrong saw the dogs pursue a deer on to the ice in the creek, near the house, when, there being no man at hand, she hastened down with an ax and butcher's knife, and, the deer being helpless on the ice, killed it with the ax and cut its throat with the knife. The skin of this deer was dressed, made into gloves by Mrs. A., and sent to her friends in Pennsylvania.
In her youth, Mrs. Armstrong spent some time in a fort, which was on her father's farm, near Carmichaeltown, Pennsylvania. During that period the Indians were peaceable, and, for a time, committed no hostilities. But, one Sabbath morning, the Reverend John Corbley, a Baptist minister, started to church, a short distance from the fort, and, when returning to the house for something which had been forgotten, he and the family were furiously set upon by Indians. The savages instantly killed the wife and babe, and scalped the two daughters. Mr. Corbley and two boys made their escape into the fort. Col. Crawford immediately went with a party in pursuit. He did not overtake the Indians, but found the woman and child dead, and the two girls yet alive. They were carried into the fort, their wounds dressed, and both recovered, married, and raised families, and a daughter of one of them is now living in St. Mary's, Ohio.
In the summer of 1799, Mr. Armstrong prepared to erect a substantial log house on his place. On such occasions, the settlers from far and near were expected to assemble and aid in the labor. It was also an occasion of much mirth and good feeling; the slender news of the settlement was discussed, and there was a general interchange of neighborly offices. Among others who came to assist Mr. Armstrong at his "raising" were John Thompson, then a prominent citizen of the township, but long since dead, and Wm. Gabriel, Matthew Haning, and Thomas Jones, who settled in Alexander in 1798 and 1799.  Mr. Armstrong was for several years lister of taxes in Alexander, and collector of college rents. He was also Sheriff of the county, and held other positions of trust in the community. He died October 22, 1853.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!