Ebenezer Dains

Ebenezer Dains, section 30, Dover Township, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, May 10, 1820. He came to this county in 1831 with his parents, where he has since resided, with the exception of four years-one year in Perry County, Ohio, and three years in Indiana. His father, Jacob B. Dains (deceased), was a native of New Jersey. Mr. Dains owns 133 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married July 15, 1841, to Catherine Dewitt, daughter of James Dewitt. They have had thirteen children, of whom ten are living-George W., Jasper N., Mary, Elizabeth, James, Lydia, Sarah, William, Thomas and Eliza J. One son, John, died in his seventeenth year.

[Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter- State Publishing Co. 1883 - Submitted by Kathy Stanley]

David Dailey

Joseph Dana

born at Ipswich, Massachusetts, in 1768, was educated at Dartmouth college and graduated in 1788. He intended to pursue the ministry, but owing to delicate health did not carry out this purpose; he subsequently studied ‘and qualified himself for the practice of the law. He served some time in the Massachusetts legislature, but his health continuing frail, he resolved to leave New England. In 1817 he removed west and settled at Athens, where he at first engaged in the practice of law. Though never a ready speaker, Mr. Dana was a thorough lawyer and fine special pleader—a branch of the practice necessarily more cultivated in those days than now. About two years after coming here he was elected professor of languages in the university—a position for which he was admirably qualified by his fine scholarship and intellectual habits. His connection with the university continued till 1835 when the infirmities of age led him to resign his position.
Professor Dana was an accomplished scholar -and cultivated gentleman. He was, for many years, an elder in the Presbyterian church here, and a lofty intellectuality pervaded his religion and all his modes of thought. He died November 18th, 1849. His sons, Joseph M. Dana, Daniel S. Dana, Capt. William Henry Dana, U. S. N., and others of his descendants are well known in this community.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Elder Nehemiah Davis

Nehemiah Davis, "Elder Davis," a native of Maine came to Marietta in November, 1797, lived in Washington county several years, and removed to Dover township in 1808. While living in Washington county Elder Davis organized a Baptist church, believed to be the first Baptist church in Ohio. He died August 23, 1823. Some of his descendants are living in the county and a granddaughter married Colonel James H. Goodman, present state auditor of Ohio.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Nathan Dean

In 1815 Nathan Dean, with his family, mostly grown, of six sons and three daughters, came to this county from Norton, Bristol county, Massachusetts. The young people all settled here, and raised respectable families in subsequent life. Three of them, William, Gulliver, and John N. Dean, made the brick, in the summer of 1816, for the central building of the Ohio university in Athens, and later, in 1835, one of them, John N. Dean, made the brick for the two additional or wing buildings of the university. The eldest of the family, afterward Colonel Nathan Dean, settled near Amesville, in the eastern part of the county, and died much respected in the year 1839. At the time this family left Massachusetts, in 1815, the manufactures of the country were only so far advanced, that, in making nails, their heads were made singly by hand, and these brothers had worked considerably at heading nails by hand before coming to Ohio. One of their ancestors, James Leonard, is believed to have been the first man that manufactured iron in America, and a son of his, Jonathan Leonard, the first to manufacture, steel. Jonathan went to England and feigned to be simple in order to get work in an establishment manufacturing steel, and thus gained the knowledge which the English were studiously endeavoring to conceal from the artisans of other countries. Upon his return the firm of “Leonard & Kinsley” successfully engaged in the production of steel in this country.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

James Dickey

In the year 1800, the only mail route in southern Ohio was from Zanesville to Marietta by way of Amesville, Athens and Chillicothe to Cincinnati. James Dickey of Bern Township was the post rider. He would carry the mail on horseback about one hundred miles between Marietta and Chillicothe. His journey was dangerous. He had to cross often-flooded creeks and rivers, he had to be on the lookout for Indians, and had to travel no matter what the weather was like. Mr. Dickey was known for his speed and bravery. He was well respected for his integrity and business sense. In 1815 he married Betsy, daughter of Samuel Brown, and settled in Bern Township on a large farm that is now the Frank Langel farm. He lived there about 34 years and raised a family of three sons and two daughters. He opened his home to travelers and was known for his hospitality and good cheer.

James Dickey was born of Irish parents in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1788, came to the northwestern territory with his father’s family in 1798 and settled first in Washington county. When a young man Mr. Dickey was employed as a post rider to carry the mail on horseback, between Marietta and Chillicothe, a distance of about one hundred miles. Between 1806 and 1814 he was variously engaged in the mail service, sometimes as a sub contractor, but always doing the riding of one hand himself. At that time the mail service in this section was one of great hardship and frequently of danger, as the numerous streams along the route, all destitute of bridges, were often swollen and had to be crossed at the peril of life. From 1812 to 1814 during the war with Great Britain, the great East and West mail was sent over this route, the bag being sometimes nearly filled with government dispatches alone. The riders (three in number), each made one round trip a week from Marietta to Chillicothe and return, regardless of weather and of all obstacles. Mr. Dickey once swam the creek near Amesville in the night, running great risk and getting the mail thoroughly wet. On reaching John Brown’s in Ames, one of his regular stopping places, he spent a short time drying the mailbag before the fire and then went on in the darkness.
During the war the contract required the mail to be carried at the rate of five miles an hour, and the government enforced the condition rigorously. Mr. Dickey became noted for his energy and fidelity in fulfilling his mail contracts, and in this, as in all other respects, established a reputation for strict integrity and rare business capacity. At one of his stations on the route he had a rest of about two hours once a week, and this was usually spent by him in hunting. He often killed one and sometimes two deer, or perhaps several wild turkeys, if they were soonest found, and brought them in for the family with whom he boarded, and received credit for the game on his board account; in this way he paid nearly his whole board and horse keeping at this station.
In 1815 Mr. Dickey married Betsy, daughter of Samuel Brown, and bought a small farm near Mr. Brown’s, eight miles west of Marietta, where he lived till he removed to Bern. He came to Bern in 1821 and settled on Sharp’s fork where he opened a large farm, and where he lived about thirty-four years and reared a family of three sons and two daughters. His house in Bern became a favorite and noted stopping place for travelers and there are many who still remember his hospitality and good cheer. Mr. Dickey never sought office or notoriety; he however served as county commissioner and township trustee at different times. In 1852 or ‘3, after his wife’s death, he disposed of his farm in Bern among his sons, and a few years later went to live with his son Mr. A. S. Dickey, in McConnellsville, where he died June 12, 1862.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

William S. Doan

William S. Doan came from New England to Washington county in 1806, to Athens county in 1813, and settled in Rome about 1820. He was an industrious farmer and a good citizen. Several of his descendants now live in the township. Mr Charles Doan is a grandson of his.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

John Dreany

merchant, of Nelsonville, was born Feb. 22, 1832, in County Armagh, in the north of Ireland, where he lived till he was twenty-one years old. He then emigrated to the United States, landing at New York in June 1852. He first went to Pittsburg and engaged himself as a miner in the Sawmill Run coal mines until 1854, when he went to Virginia and worked as a miner until 1856. The same year he came to Nelsonville, where he was again engaged as a miner for one year, after which he became a coal operator and carried on the business until November, 1859. He then began boating on the Hocking Valley Ohio Canal, and in July, 1863, during the Morgan raid, his boat was burned and his best horses taken by Morgan's men. In 1870 he gave up boating and engaged in the mercantile business, which he still follows.
March 27, 1865,he married Elizabeth Cawthorn, who died June 4, 1874. He, Aug. 1, 1877, married Anna Matheny, who died Oct. 13 of the same year. In February of the following year he was again married, this time to Lavina Dashler, of Athens County. Mr. Dreany is a Master Mason of Philodorean Lodge, No. 157, of Nelsonville, and also an Odd Fellow, and belongs to Hockhocking Lodge, No. 339.

From History of Hocking Valley Ohio, pub. 1883

Kingman Dutton

Kingman Dutton, father of Mr. Samuel Dutton, still living in Troy, settled at the mouth of the Hockhocking with his family in 1806. At the time there were only two roads in the township--one passed through the center, running from Belpre to Chillicothe, the ferry of which was kept about two and a half miles above the present site of Coolville by Xerxes Paulk; and another from Belpre down the Ohio to the mouth of the Hockhocking, thence by the ridge (through Carthage township), to Athens. About 1815 a road was laid out from the mouth of the Hockhocking up the eastern bank of the river to Federal creek, where it intersected the Federal creek road from the Ames settlement. At this early period the great majority of the emigrants to Athens county used to come down the Ohio to the mouth of the Hockhocking and then ascend that river in pirogues or canoes. Kingman Dutton kept a number of these craft, and he and his son carried on the business of conveying emigrants and their goods up the Hockhocking.

["History of Athens County, Ohio...."by Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!