Abram Fee

The second family was Abram Fee's, who settled on the place [Waterloo townhsip] now owned by Mr. Warren Foster, son of Mr Hull Foster, of Athens.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Leonard Fewett

Leonard Fewett in 1804 or 1805 settled at the mouth of Federal creek on a fine tract of land which lay chiefly on the south side of the Hockhocking. He sold out very soon to Mr. John Johnson and removed to Athens.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Hull Foster

only surviving son of Zadoc Foster, was born in Sudbury, Rutland county, Vermont, January 23, 1796, and came to the northwestern territory, with his father’s family, when a few months old. His first visit to Athens was in 1804 or 1805. He came to visit Dr. Leonard Jewett’s family, and traveled on horseback from Belpre, there being no visible road, but only a horse path which crossed the river at the present site of Coolville. There was a sort of ferry at this point. At that time one Strickland kept public house in a log building, on the lot now occupied by Judge Barker, and Joseph B. Miles had a small lot of goods in a room of the same house. Timothy Wilkins had a cabin near where General John Brown now lives, and ran a little distillery in the hollow close by. Esquire Henry Bartlett lived in a cabin back of the college green, near the present site of Mr. J. L. Kessinger’s house. There was a horse mill on the point of the hill, a short distance northeast of town, on the Bingham farm. Mr. Foster, when a boy, drove the horse at this mill; the usual terms of grinding were, that parties should bring their own horse and pay one fourth of the corn as toll. In 1809 his father removed with his family to Athens. In the interval a few brick houses had been built; Dr. Eliphaz Perkins had built on the Ballard corner, and Esquire Henry Bartlett on Congress street, nearly opposite Dr. Wilson’s present residence; these, with Abbott’s tavern, the academy building, near Nelson Van Vorhes’ present residence, and a school house just east of where the Presbyterian church now stands, were, it is thought, all the brick buildings here in 1809. When about seventeen, Mr. Foster took up the trade of shoemaking—to use his own expression, “just as a cow does kicking—in her own head.” Between 1816 and 1820 he traveled with his kit on his back, through the west and southwest, visiting the present states of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. In 1821 he returned to Athens, resumed his trade, and built the house where Mr. Abner Cooley now lives. Soon after he married his first wife, a daughter of Mr. Ira Carpenter. Since then he has steadily adhered to his trade, at which he has worked for more than fifty years, and still works some, though under no necessity to do so. There is one family in the county for whom he has made shoes for five generations. He has been twice married—his second wife was a daughter of Mr. William Brown, of Lee township— and is now a widower. A man of strong sense, strict integrity, and marked force of character, his life and virtues are known and read of all his neighbors.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Zadoc Foster

a native of Massachusetts, moved with his family to the northwestern territory in 1796. He came, like many others of that time, with an ox team as far as Olean point, on the Allegheny river, and thence proceeded by raft down the Ohio to Marietta, in the autumn of 1796. Remaining that, winter in the stockade, he made a settlement in the spring at Belpre, and remained there till he came to Athens in 1809. During his residence at the Belpre settlement Indians were frequently seen, but had ceased to be considered dangerous, while the game was so abundant that deers and turkeys were sometimes shot, from the door of the cabin in which he lived.
Mr. Foster kept public house in Athens till his death, by the “cold plague,” in 1814, first in the McNichol house, on the lot now occupied by Mr. E. C. Crippen, and afterwards across the street, on the lot now occupied by Judge Barker. His widow, Mrs. Sarah Foster, continued to keep the tavern a few years after his death. She then began to teach a school for young children, in which vocation she was eminently useful and beloved during the remainder of her life. She continued to teach within four days of her death, which occurred in 1849.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

John Frame

Mr John Frame settled in Troy township in 1833, and in 1840 commenced merchandizing and dealing in wool, grain, and country produce. Though over sixty years of age he still engages actively in business, having associated his sons with him.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Abram Frost

The next year after Asahel Cooley [who arrived 1799] came his brother-in-law, Mr Abram Frost, and settled in Carthage with a large family. Many of his descendants have removed to western states.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Heman Frost

One of [Abram Frost] sons, Heman Frost, settled as a farmer in Rome township, where he was highly respected, and, during his long residence there of about forty years, ranked as one of her best citizens. He died June 5, 1868, aged seventy-eight years. His last illness was caused by a severe fall from a scaffold in his barn.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...." Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Dudley D. Fuller

Dudley D. Fuller, of Millfield, was born March 4, 1847, son of Austin Fuller. He was reared on a farm, and educated in a common school and Weethee's College. He followed farming for some time. He enlisted in the late war in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Infantry, and served nine months; was discharged and enlisted in the Navy Department, in which he served on the United States steamer Huntress until the close of the war. Mr. Fuller was married Oct. 8, 1876, to Mary Wyatt, daughter of George Wyatt. The have had four children, one living-Edith A. Mr. Fuller was appointed Postmaster at Millfield in March, 1879. He keeps a general store, doing an annual business of $8,000.

[Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter- State Publishing Co. 1883 - Submitted by Kathy Stanley]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!