Wilbur Fisk Scott

Wilbur Fisk Scott was born at McConnelsville, Morgan Co., Ohio, Dec 25, 1850, the youngest son of Alexander and Susan (Rutledge) Scott. Soon after his birth his parents came to Athens, where his father died when he was fifteen years old. He received a common school education and was variously employed until his twentieth year, when he entered the M. & C. R. R. office as clerk under his brother, W. Scott. He was married March 3, 1881, to Sadie, daughter of George E. and Eliza (Carpenter) Whipple, of Athens. They have one child-Nellie. Mr Scott is a member of Paramuthia Lodge, No. 25, A. F. & A. M., Athens.

Dyar Selby

born in New York in 1784, came to Ohio at an early day, and about 1833 settled in Bern township—has been township trustee and justice of the peace. His descendants live in Bern.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Charles Shipman

for more than twenty years an active and leading citizen of Athens, was born in Saybrook, Connecticut, August 28, 1787. He came to Marietta, with his father’s family, in 1790, and they remained in the “stockade”’ during the Indian war. Colonel Shipman came to the town of Athens in 1813, and engaged in merchandising, in which line his business talent and popular manners soon gave him decided prominence,’ and ultimately large success. In early times he visited Philadelphia for the purchase of goods, once every year, and sometimes twice a year, always on horseback. Some of the old citizens of Athens still remember the fine sorrel horse, long owned by Colonel Shipman, on which he thus made nineteen trips from Athens to Philadelphia and back.
Colonel Shipman was a man of fine social qualities, genial manners, and benevolent heart. He was the first, or one of the first, merchants in this part of the state to discard the sale of intoxicating drinks, to stop the practice of “treating” customers, and to engage actively in the temperance cause. He was, during the most of his life, a professor of religion, and for many years a ruling elder of the Presbyterian church of Athens.
Colonel Shipman (he was elected colonel of a militia regiment during his residence at Athens) married Frances White Dana, of Belpre, in 1811. She died in 1813. The only issue of this marriage was a son, William C. Shipman, for many years past a citizen of New Albany, Indiana. In 1815 he married Joanna, the eldest daughter of Esquire Henry Bartlett, who is still living in Marietta. Colonel Shipman left Athens in 1836 to reside at Marietta, where he died July 7, 1860.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

William Sickles

born in Pennsylvania, May 1st, 1802, came to Athens county in 1805, with his father's family, and settled on the Thomas Grim farm in Waterloo. After two years they removed to Alexander and settled on the Peter Long farm, where they lived about twenty- three years, and afterwards several years again in Waterloo. When a young man Mr. Sickles has killed as many as five deer in one day. In one autumn he killed in the aggregate forty-nine deer. Joseph Bobo, of Lodi, and Abram Gabriel each killed in that season the same number—forty-nine. He remembers when there was but one house on the road between Alexander and the present town of Jackson, then called Scioto Salt Works. He has ground a great many bushels of corn in a hand mill made of two stones; the upper one revolved on the lower by means of a short handle let into the edge.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Joseph Simmons

Joseph Simmons was born in Pennsylvania in 1772, and settled in Canaan township in 1797.
He says:

"The forests were full of game, and we could kill all the wild meat we wanted, but salt was the great need. However, we had to have it, and used to pack it on horses from the salt licks (over forty miles), at the rate of $4.00 a bushel, bitter water included. We raised corn, and we had a little hand mill to grind our hominy and meal for mush. There was a little tub mill on Margaret's creek and one on Duck creek (Washington county), but none on Hockhocking. The number of males within the present limits of the township was six or seven, during the year after I came here."

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Capt. Philip M. Starr

a native of Middletown, Connecticut, came to the town of Athens in 1801, where for several years he followed the mercantile business. Later he located on a rich and valuable farm on the river three miles below Athens where he died in 1857. Capt. Starr was a very active business man, and of more than average mental culture. He had considerable means when he came to the county, and though never in public life he was a man of influence among the early settlers. He devoted the latter part of his life to horticulture and fruit growing, in which he was notably successful.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Frank C. Steadman

Frank C. Steadman, junior member of the firm of W.H. Brown & Co., wholesale grocers, Athens, was born in this city March 13, 1853, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of Frederick and Louisa (Golden) Steadman. When sixteen years of age he commenced to clerk for W.H. Brown, and in 1873 became associated with his employer, under the firm name of Brown & Steadman. In 1876 he withdrew his interest and went to Philadelphia and carried on a hotel for the National Surgical Institute till 1880, when he returned to Athens and again became associated with W.H. Brown in the wholesale grocery business, under the form name of W.H. Brown & Co. Aug. 1, 1880, he married Etta Crouse, of Philadelphia. Mr Steadman is a member of Paramuthia Lodge, No. 25, A.F.& A. M., Athens.

[Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter- State Publishing Co. 1883 - Submitted by Kathy Stanley]

Abel Stedman

son of Judge Alexander Stedman, was born at Newbridge, Vermont, February 26, 1785, and came to the town of Athens in 1802. In 1811 he married Miss Sally Foster. In 1812 he enlisted in the United States service, and on the march from Sandusky to Chillicothe he marched next in the ranks to Thomas Corwin. Returning to Athens he engaged in his trade of house carpenter, and passed the rest of his days here. He was a man of active temperament and untiring industry, a professing christian and full of good works. He died December 20, 1859.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Alexander Stedman

Alexander Stedman, a native of Vermont, and by profession an architect, settled in Rome township in 1804, having previously lived for nearly two years at Athens. In 1805 he was appointed one of the judges of the court of common pleas for Athens county and held the position for several years. Soon after coming here he married the widow Comfort Crippen. Some of his sons were Abel, Eli, and Levi. Another son, Bial, was an associate judge of Washington county. Judge Stedman was a man of excellent judgment and of commanding influence among the pioneers. Some of his descendants are still living in the county. A grandson, Frederic Stedman, was elected sheriff of the county in 1861, but left his office and entered the Union army as captain of a company of infantry.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Eli Stedman

Rome Twp-Eli Stedman was one of Alexander Stedman sons and a minister. He was somewhat celebrated as a pulpit orator.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Levi Stedman

Rome Twp-Levi Stedman was one of Alexander Stedman sons and he was for many years a prominent citizen of this county, serving as county commissioner, etc. On the organization of Meigs county, in 1819, he moved thither, and was one the first common pleas judges in that county.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Lewis Steenrod

was born in a block house at Wheeling, Virginia, in June, 1791, came to Ohio in 1805, and resided in Muskingum county about eight miles east of Zanesville for over forty years. In 1850 he removed with his family to Nelsonville where he died December 10, 1860. “Father” Steenrod, as he was called, was a man of benevolent heart and gentle life. He was a member of the Baptist church, having united with that organization in 1812. Some of his descendants remain in the county.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]


DANIEL Stewart


DANIEL B. Stewart


D. B. Stewart, jr


Benson Sulavan

BENSON SULAVAN, son of Joshua and Nancy Sulavan, the former a native of Maryland, and the latter a native of Virginia, is the proprietor of the leading general store of merchandise in Bunker Hill. He was born near Athens, Ohio, February 1, 1838. His parents emigrated to and settled in Harrison Township, this county, in 1847. Here they purchased a wild tract of land, built a cabin and opened up roads, there being but two laid out roads south of the Wabash. Benson was reared at home until thirteen years of age, when he began battling with life alone. He engaged in farm labor for some,time, and then followed the carpenter's trade until twenty-four years old. July 22 he enlisted in Company C, Eighty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and was placed in the Department of the Ohio, under Buell. He remained during the war, participating in the following battles: Perryville, Hoover's Gap, Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Mission Ridge, Ringgold, Dalton, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek and Marietta, and, strange to say, passed through all those hard fought battles without receiving a wound. Prior to entering the war he was married to Rebecca E. Rees, September 3, 1857. To this union was born one child, Charles A., who is now aiding his father in the mercantile business. Mrs. Sulavan was called away in 1867, and December 4, 1868, he was united in marriage with Lucinda Keyes, a native of Ohio. Mr. Sulavan is a member of the F. & A. M., and a Republican in politics. He is a thorough-going business man, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of all who know him.

[Source: History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago; BZ - Sub by FoFG]

Thornton Swart

born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1793, settled in this township in 1838 on Possum run, adjoining Owen Gifford’s place. Mr. S. served in the war of 1812 He now resides with his son.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

John Sweat

In 1800 The Sweat family came to Dover, and settled near the present site of Millfield. In 1802 John Sweat built a rude mill there for grinding corn, which was greatly prized by the settlement. Even persons from Athens made use of this mill till the Gregory mill was built, about four years later.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!