Archibald B. Walker

son of Dr. Ezra Walker, was born in East Poultney, Vermont, October 15th, 1800, and came to Ames township with his father’s family when ten years old. In 1825 he married Lucy W., daughter of Judge Silvanus Ames, and in 1826 they removed to the town of Athens, where they have since resided continuously, and reared a family of two sons and four daughters. Soon after coming to Athens, Mr. ‘Walker, having formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, James J. Fuller, engaged for a few years in the cattle-driving and pork-packing business. In 1839 they commenced the manufacture of salt at the old furnace, opposite Chauncey, afterward owned by Judge Pruden, and soon after they bored the wells and erected the furnaces now owned by M. M. Greene & Co., at Salina. For a period of twenty years the firm name of Fuller & Walker was well and favorably known in the valley. The partnership was dissolved in 1853. Since that time, Mr. Walker has not engaged in active business on his own account. During his long residence in the county, he has always been one of the most prompt to embrace, and ardent in the support of every useful local enterprise. At home and abroad, in personal intercourse and through the press, he has ever been ready and efficient in advocating the development of the county, and presenting her claims. He was one of the original friends, and for several years a director of the Marietta & Cincinnati railroad, and an early and strenuous advocate for the construction of the Hock-hocking Valley railroad, which is now building under the energetic control of younger men, and which he is likely to live to see finished.
Having been through his whole life scrupulously faithful and exact in the discharge of every duty, public and private, Mr. Walker is peacefully completing the last stage of a long and worthy career in the very spot where he began it. If his part has been acted on a comparatively narrow stage, it has nevertheless, been well acted—"there all the honor lies." Happy in the respect of his neighbors and the affection of children and grand-children, he possesses, in the words of Shakespeare: "That which should accompany old age, As honor, love, obedience, troops of friends."

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Jesse Walker

Was born in Athens, Ohio, April 8, 1806, and came to Gallia county, in 1850. He is a son of Obadiah and Casandra (Halsey) Walker. Mr. Walker's first wife was Permelia Richardson, who was born in 1809, and died September 21, 1833, of cholera. She was mother of two children: Oscar, born August 21, 1830, lives in Nevada, where he is married; and Milton R., June 26, 1832, died June 13, 1871. Margaret Mauck became the wife of Mr. Walker in Cheshire, April 21, 1847. She is a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Whaley) Mauck, and was born in Cheshire, November 3, 1817. She is mother of the following children: Perlie M., born December 6, 1850, resides in Cheshire, where he is married to Miss T. B. Flower; Amos L., June 2, 1858, resides at home. Mr. Walker had three brothers in the war: Ansel, Vincent and Obadiah F. They served through the war and received their honorable discharge. Mr. Walker is a farmer, his farm being located in Cheshire and Addison townships. His postoffice address is Cheshire, Gallia county, Ohio.

[SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882].

Jonathan Watkins, Sen

came from Athens township [to Trimble twp] in 1803, and settled in the lower part of Trimble, and soon after Eliphalet Wheeler settled near him. Mr Watkins was a blacksmith, but, like most of the early settlers, occasionally engaged in hunting. He shot a buffalo soon after settling in Trimble, and broke its fore leg. He pursued the animal, thus crippled, from Green's run in Trimble township, across Wolf plains, and over the Hockhocking some distance, but failed to capture it.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Albert Watson

Albert Watson, born in Morgan County, Ohio, March, 1855, is a son of William and Henrietta (Anderson) Watson. When he was eight years old he came with his father's family to Athens County, where he has since resided. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools. When he was sixteen years of age he commenced to learn telegraphy, and worked for the C.&H. V.R.R. until the fall of 1879, when he came to Buchtel and was employed as salesman in the store of the Akron Iron Company, where he has since been engaged. By attending faithfully to his duties he has been promoted, and is now purchasing agent for the largest merchantile establishment in the Hocking Valley. He was married Dec. 16, 1882, to Miss Alice Mankoph, a native of Athens County.

[Source:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter- State Publishing Co. 1883 - Submitted by Kathy Stanley]

Daniel Weethee

Daniel Weethee was born in New Hampshire in 1770. He was a cooper by trade, and saved money enough, during his youth, to buy a tract of land in what is now Dover township. At the age of nineteen he set out for the northwestern territory, made the tedious journey on foot and alone, and reached Marietta about the middle of December, 1798. The next spring he and another young man, Josiah True, came out to Dover, traveling through the woods by the aid of a compass. Arrived here they built a log cabin for their joint occupancy (they were both unmarried), and lived together about three years. Mr True managed, by hard work and by selling skins, furs, etc., to secure means enough to purchase a piece of land, and bought part of the farm now owned by his son, Austin True, where he lived during the rest of his life. Thus they lived for about three years in this truely pioneer fashion, with not companions but the forest trees, and no neighbors but the wild game of all sorts which abounded near their cabin.
In 1802 Mr. Weethee married Lucy Wilkins, daughter of John Wilkins, one of the early settlers of Athens township, and the next year Mr. True married Almira, a daughter of Solomon Tuttle, then living on the creek a few miles above, what is now Trimble township.
Three sons of Daniel Weethee, the pioneer, are now living. Daniel W. Weethee lives on a fine farm in Trimble township; Lorentius Weethee owns and occupies the old homestead in Dover; and Jonathan P. Weethee, who graduated at the Ohio university in 1832, and has been actively engaged during his life in the ministry and in teaching in this and other states, is now the president of Weethee college at Mt. Auburn, in Dover.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

John Welch

born in 1805, in Harrison county, Ohio, came to Athens county about 1828, and settled in Rome township. Here he and his brother Thomas Welch bought the “Beebe mill,” at that time owned by their father, and for some years he pursued the milling business. While performing his duties as miller, Mr. Welch studied law with Professor Joseph Dana of Athens, going some fourteen miles to recite once in a week or two. Having finished his studies and prepared to change his vocation, he removed to Athens, where he was admitted to the bar in 1833 by the supreme court of Ohio, sitting in Athens county. In this field his success was assured from the start. His eminent abilities, indefatigable industry and devotion to his profession soon placed him at the head of the Athens bar, and finally among the ablest lawyers of the state. He was prosecuting attorney of Athens county for several years; a member of the state senate in 1846—7; a representative in congress in 1851—2; and judge of the common pleas court from 1862 to 1865. February 23d, 1865, he was appointed by the governor, judge of the supreme court of Ohio, in place of Rufus. P. Ranney, resigned, and in October, 1865, was elected for Judge Ranney’s unexpired term. In October, 1867, he was elected for the fall term, and occupies the position at the present time.
Judge Welch’s career, which has been attended with honorable and solid success, is a sufficient eulogy upon his character as a man and citizen, and his ability as a lawyer.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Thomas Welch

Thomas Welch, removed from the northern part of the state and settled in Rome township in 1826. He remained here several years, living part of the time at the mills and part of the time on the "Case farm," which he bought and cultivated. About 1828 he sold the mills to his two sons, Thomas and John Welch, the latter of whom is further noticed in connection with Athens township.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Caleb P. Wells

Caleb P. Wells was born in New Hampshire in the year 1800. He married the only daughter of Mr. Martin, and moved to Carthage with his father-in-law in 1836, where he has since lived a farmer.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Jesse W. White

Jesse W. White, farmer and stockraiser, was born in York Township, Athens County, Oct. 29, 1843, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Allen) White. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He enlisted Aug. 2, 1862, in Company A, Ninety-second Ohio Infantry, and participated in many hard fought battles. Among the prominent were:Hoover' s Gap, Chickamanga, Chattanooga, Mission Ridge, the Atlanta campaign, and with Sherman on his march to the sea, serving until the close of the war, when he was discharged, June 22, 1865, and returned to his native county. He was married March 15, 1866, to Miss Angeline S.A. Wilt, a native of Hocking County. They have had eight children, seven now living- Ida V., Mintor L., Emma M., Earl R., Clarence R., Roley A., and Warren H. Mr White has a farm of 285 acres of improved land under a high state of cultivation.

[Source:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter- State Publishing Co. 1883 - Submitted by Kathy Stanley]

John Wickham

son of Joseph Wickham, was born in Vermont, July 1, 1784, and came to Athens county with his father’s family in 1805, settling first in Rome township. Later he removed to Bern township where he died March 19, 1863. He served as a volunteer in the war of 1812, and was marching to join Hull’s army (his command being yet two days’ march distant), when that general surrendered.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Joseph Wickham

Joseph Wickham settled in rome in 1805. He was a native of England, and serving on an English vessel when the revolutionary war broke out. He deserted, joined the American Army, and served till the close of hostilities. After the war he lived for a time in Vermont. Having married there he set out, in the winter of 1804, fo rthe new state of Ohio, bu the roads getting very bad he disposed of his horses and wagon, bought a yoke of cattle and a sled, and came on to "Olean point." Here he procured a white pine raft, and floated down to the mouth of the Hockhocking, and thence came up that river to Rome township, where he lived till his death, May 3, 1933, aged seventy-four years. One of his grandsons, Killian V. Whaley, was a member of the 38th and 39th congress from West Virginia. Another of them, William Reed, is known as one of the enterprising business men of the township.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Warren W. Wickham

son of John, lives on the farm of his late father at the mouth of Marietta run in Bern township—has been a justice of the peace and township trustee.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Thomas F. Wildes

was born at Racine, in the dominion of Canada, June I, 1834, came to Ohio with his father’s family in 1839, and to Athens in 1861 as the editor of the Athens Messenger Mr. Wildes was an ardent republican, and in August, 1862, exchanging the pen for the sword, he entered the military service as lieutenant colonel of the 116th Ohio infantry. He was in active service with this regiment during the next two and a half years, in the army of West Virginia, part of the time commanding a brigade. In February, 1865, he was promoted to the colonelcy of the i86th Ohio volunteer infantry, and assigned to duty in the Army of the Cumberland. March 11th, 1865, he was brevetted brigadier general and commanded a brigade in the army last named till he was mustered out in September, 1865. He graduated at the law school in Cincinnati in 1866, and has since practiced his profession at Athens.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Jonathan Wilkins

one of the earliest inhabitants of Athens, was a man of very considerable learning, and for some time taught a pioneer school. Of his son, Timothy Wilkins, the following reminiscence is furnished by Dr. C. F. Perkins; it is hardly less strange than the history immortalized by Tennyson in "Enoch Arden."
Mr. Wilkins was skillful and enterprising in business, but, through no fault of his own, became embarrassed, was hard pressed by creditors, and pursued by writs. In those days, when a man could be imprisoned for a debt of ten dollars, to fail in business was an awful thing. Wilkins was not dishonest, but had a heart to pay’ if he could.  He battled bravely with his misfortunes for a considerable period, but with poor success. One day in the year 1829, full of despair, he came from his home west of town, across the Hockhocking, and having transacted some business with the county clerk went out, and was supposed to have returned home. The next morning it became known that he was not at his house. Inquiry and search being made, the boat in which he usually crossed the river was seen floating bottom upward, and his hat was also found swimming down the stream. Mr. Wilkins was a popular man in the community; news of his loss soon spread, the people gathered from every quarter and measures were taken to recover the body. The river was dragged, a cannon was fired over the water, and other means resorted to, but to no purpose; the body was not found. The excellent Mrs. Wilkins put on mourning, and friends remembered the departed for a time with affectionate regret. As time sped, the sad incident was forgotten, and Timothy Wilkins passed out of mind. His wife, faithful for a time to his memory, had for years been the wedded partner of another, and a little family was growing up around the remarried woman and her second husband, Mr. Goodrich, himself a well known and worthy citizen.
In 1834 [sic - 1814] a vague rumor—an undefined whisper from the distant southwest—circulated through the settlement that Mr. Wilkins yet survived. Soon more positive assertions were made, and finally it was said that the missing man was alive and on his way home. At last a neighbor received a letter from Wilkins, announcing his approach; fearing to shock his wife by a sudden appearance, he had himself originated the rumors of safety, and now announced that he would soon be in Athens. He knew of his wife’s second marriage, and in friendly spirit proposed to meet her and Mr. Goodrich. Much excitement and distress ensued. Mr. Wilkins arrived; there was a cordial meeting and strange interview among the parties most concerned. The conference was friendly and satisfactory. Messrs. Wilkins and Goodrich honestly left to the wife of their rivalship the final choice of her companion, and she selected her first love, to the great grief, but with the full acquiescence of her second. The reunited pair bade adieu to their friends, and together set out for the distant south. Mr. Wilkins’s disappearance was a ruse to escape his creditors. He went to New Orleans, engaged successfully in boating, accumulated money enough to pay off all his debts, which he honorably did, and returned to claim his beloved.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Joseph D. Wolf

deceased, was born on Wolf's Plains, Athens Co., Ohio, Jan. 7, 1822, a son of Christopher C. and Rhoda (Dorr) Wolf among the earlier settlers of Athens. Christopher C. was a live business man---owned and ran a grist and saw mill and dealt largely in stock, he and wife had seven sons and three daughters. Joseph D., the subject of this sketch, was the sixth son. He was reared on his father's farm on Wolf's Plains until seventeen, when he came with his parents to what is now Hocking County, and settled on the farm where his wife still resides, in Starr Township. He was  married to Mary V. Price in Logan, May 22, 1844. She was born in Dover Township, Athens County, a daughter of Jonas and Tamar (Culver) Rice. Her father was one of the early settlers of Athens County. He was a Colonel in the war of 1812. When a young man he went among the Chickasaw Indians and lived with them some years. He and his brother Ambrose were afterward sent by the Government to survey lands in Ohio. Jonas Culver built one of the first mills in Athens County, and also assisted in building the Ohio University at Athens. He died with yellow fever at Memphis, Tenn., in June, 1829, while returning from New Orleans, where he had taken a boat-load of provisions, he being Captain of the boat. He and wife had five daughters; four daughters lived to be grown. Mrs. Joseph Wolf (now Mrs. Jonathan Stirling) was the eldest.  Mr. and Mrs. Wolf have eight children, seven now living---Sarah M., wife of George Fry; Louis H., farmer of Green Township ; Mary M., wife of William N. England; Helena T., wife of Samuel England (deceased); Andrew J., residing in Washington Territory; Fannie L. and Effie H., residing with their mother. Mr. Wolf died Aug. 10, 1858. Mrs. Wolf married Mr. Jonathan Stirling March 26, 1865. He was born in Hocking County and is one of the leading farmers and coal men of Hocking Valley.

[From: "History of Athens County, Ohio...."Charles M. Walker - 1869]

Owen Wright

To the younger generation, of the present day there is much of romance in the history of the pioneer period in Nebraska, and only those who participated in the labors and trying experiences of the pioneers can realize fully that the romantic features have needed the haze and glamour of the perspective of years to bring them into relief. Owen Wright, now one of the venerable and honored citizens of Hamilton County, is a man who gained more than casual pioneer experience, for in the early period of Nebraska statehood he devoted much time to hunting and trapping in the wilds of this commonwealth, knew the Indians by personal contact, endured the hardships of the wilderness and yet enjoyed to the fullest extent the free and open life of the prairies and hills. He has been a resident of Nebraska for a full half century and his reminiscences of the early days are graphic and interesting.
Mr. Wright was born at Belmont, Wisconsin, October 25, 1847, and is a son of Ajalon and Sarah Wright, who were numbered among the pioneer settlers of the Badger state and of whose eight children all are living except one who was killed at the battle of the Wilderness.
Owen Wright was reared to adult age under the conditions of the pioneer days in Wisconsin, where he attended the common schools and where he gained his initial experience in connection with farm industry. In the autumn of 1871 he and his brother Cyrus drove overland from Wisconsin to Nebraska with two teams and wagons and they passed the first winter in Fillmore county. In the spring of 1872 Owen Wright came to the farm which is his present place of residence, in Hamilton township, Hamilton County, he having here taken a preemption claim of one hundred and sixty acres and his original habitation on the place having been a rude dugout. The unbroken prairie gave little semblance of the fine farms which mark the county at the present day, but Mr. Wright was a vigorous and sturdy young man who was well equipped for the hardships and labors of the pioneer. His little prairie farm was soon made deserving of the name of home, for in the summer of 1872 his parents joined him, they having driven through from Wisconsin with ox teams. They passed the remainder of their lives in Nebraska. Mr. Wright began the development and cultivation of his land, upon which he gradually made good improvements in the erection of needed buildings and here he continued to maintain his headquarters until 1886, when he removed to Grant County, where he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres and a tree claim of one hundred and sixty acres and where he remained five years, within which time he perfected his title to the land. He then returned to his old preemption farm, in section 32, Hamilton Township, Hamilton county, and this excellent farm has since continued to be his home. He is associated with his brother and his sons in the ownership of nearly an entire township in Grant County and they have made this land one of the fine stock ranches of that section of the state. On his home farm Mr. Wright has erected the substantial buildings which now mark the place as one of the model farms of Hamilton Township and every one of the large trees on the place was planted by him many years ago. He was the first homesteader in Hamilton Township and has done well his part in the development of the resources of the county and in furthering civic and industrial advancement. He has been a successful agriculturist and stock raiser and on his farm today may be seen excellent types of shorthorn cattle and Poland China swine, to which types of live stock he has given special attention.
As a hunter Mr. Wright has shot buffaloes, deer and antelopes through the Hamilton County section of Nebraska, and during the first five years of his residence in the state he gave much time to trapping all through the wilds of western Nebraska, besides continuing his journeyings across the line into Colorado. He was often absent six months on such expeditions and was a successful trapper of otter and beaver. On his trips he encountered many Indians and at times weeks would pass without his seeing a white man. More pleasing in retrospect than participation were his experiences in connection with droughts, grasshopper devastations and blizzards of the early days, but it is most interesting to listen to his many reminiscences concerning the pioneer period in Nebraska history, for his fellowship in pioneer life was of the closest order.
On the 14th of February, 1876, was recorded the marriage of Mr. Wright to Miss Letitia B. Collins, who was born in Athens County, Ohio, and who was a childhood playmate and sweetheart of Mr. Wright's in Wisconsin, where their marriage was solemnized, their bridal tour having been the journey to the pioneer home which Mr. Wright had provided in Hamilton county, Nebraska. Their children are: Ida, the eldest, is the wife of Edgar Graham and they reside in Wisconsin; Eva is the widow of William Donaldson and maintains her home in Kansas; Addie is the wife of John Marks, a farmer in the state of Iowa; Ira is a prosperous farmer in Union township, Hamilton county, as is also Orren; Lena remains at home; and Lloyd is a progressive exponent of farm enterprise in Hamilton precinct.
Mr. Wright has interested himself loyally in community affairs, has given many years of service as a member of the school board of his district, both as director and treasurer; is a republican in politics; has been affiliated with the Masonic fraternity for more than twenty years and has received the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, and his wife holds membership in the Order of the Eastern Star.

[Source: History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck ;Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 232-236; submitted by Marla Zwakman]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!