Athens Township


Most of the city of Athens, the county seat of Athens County, is located in central and eastern Athens Township, and the census-designated place of The Plains is located in northern Athens Township.


Athens High School was formed in 1967 by the merger of The Plains High School, Chauncey-Dover High School, and Athens High School. Athens High School is located in The Plains, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Athens City School District. Their nickname is the Bulldogs and their colors are green and gold.


Court Street, Athens, Ohio, 1930s

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio

The residents of Athens Township are served by these schools:

  • Athens Middle School
  • Morrison Elementary School
  • West Elementary School
  • East Elementary School
  • Athens High School
  • The Plains Elementary School

Private elementary/middle schools in Athens:

  • Grace Academy
  • River Valley Community School


Churches in Athens include:

  • Apostolic Church
  • East Athens Church of Christ
  • Mount Zion Baptist Church
  • Pilgrim Holiness Church
  • First Baptist Church
  • First Christian Church
  • First Presbyterian Church
  • First United Methodist Church
  • Saint Pauls Catholic Church

Cemeteries:

  • Athens Cemetery
  • State Street Cemetery
  • Old Athens Hospital Cemetery
  • New Athens Hospital Cemetery
  • Mount Calvary Cemetery

The village of Athens is built on rolling ground rising about 70 ft. above the river (which nearly encircles it), and commands views of some of the most beautiful scenery in the state. There are several ancient mounds in the vicinity. Athens is the seat of Ohio University (co-educational), a state institution established in 1804, and having in 1908 a college of liberal arts, a state normal college (1902), a commercial college, a college of music and a state preparatory school. In 1908 the University had 53 instructors and 1386 students. South of the village, and occupying a fine situation, is a state hospital for the insane. In the vicinity there are many coal mines, and among the manufactures are bricks, furniture, veneered doors, and shirts. The municipality operates the water-works. When the Ohio Company, through Manasseh Cutler, obtained from congress their land in what is now Ohio, it was arranged that the income from two townships was to be set aside "for the support of a literary institution." In 1795 the townships (Athens and Alexander) were located and surveyed, and in 1800 Rufus Putnam and two other commissioners, appointed by the Territorial legislature, laid out a town, which was also called Athens. Settlers slowly came; the town became the county-seat in 1805, was incorporated as a village in 1811, and was re-incorporated in 1828.


Court Street Parade, 1917

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio

Athens Asylum, 1893

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio


Fulwider Grocery, 1900s

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio

Athens Poultry, early 1900s

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio


Athens Train Depot, 1930-1940s

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio

Trimble Brick Plant, 1900-1920

Photos courtesy of City of Athens, Ohio



The Plains

The Plains is a census-designated place (CDP) in Athens County, Ohio. The population was 2,931 at the 2000 census. The residents of The Plains are served by the Athens City School District and Athens High School


Churches in The Plains:

  • Zion Church
  • Plains United Methodist Church
  • Athens Bible Church
  • Bread of Life Full Gospel
  • Ohio Columbus Mission

Cemeteries:

  • Zion Cemetery
  • Hocking Cemetery

[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!