BERN was orignally included in Ames township, and was not separately organized till 1828. Incorporated with Ames for thirty years, much of its early history will be found in connection with that townhip.
The lands of Bern lie exceedingly well for agricultural purposes, and her farmers compare favorably with any for thrift and enterprise. The township is well watered by the head waters of Federal creek, Sharp's fork of which traverses it from north to south. Coal is known to exist here in great abundance, and salt water has been found of quality and in workable quantity.
Its population in 1830 was 223; in 1840 it was 381; in 1850 it was 819; in 1860 it was 1,022. There are but thirty section in Bern, the eastern tier of sections having been set off to Washington county in 1807.
March 3, 1828, the county commissioners resolved "that the original surveyed township No. 7 in range 12 in Athens county, at present a part of Ames township, be set off, and that a township by the name of Bern be established as above described." The electors were directed to meet at the house of John Henry on the first Monday of April at 9 o'clock A.M. to elect township officers.
|1828-30||John Henry||James Dickey||John Wickham|
|1831-33||John Henry||Davis James||Jeffrey Buchanan|
|1834||Dyar Selby, Sen.||John Wickham||James Dickey|
|1835||William J. Brown||John Wichham||James Dickey|
|1836||William J. Brown||David James||James Dickey|
|1837||Matthew Henry||David James||James Dickey|
|1838||Matthew Henry||David James||Wm. J. Brown|
|1839||Matthew Henry||James Dickey||Wm. J. Brown|
|1840||J. E. Vore||James Dickey||John Work|
|1841||David James||Thornton Swart||John Work|
|1842||David James||James Dickey||Dyar Selby, Jun.|
|1843||Joseph McCune||James Dickey||Dyar Selby, Jun.|
|1844||Joseph McCune||James Dickey||Reuben Hague|
|1845||David James||James Dickey||Reuben Hague|
|1846||Jesse Carr||Dyar Selby||John Work|
|1847||David Colvin||Robert Henry||Wm. Rardin|
|1848||David Colvin||Levi Ellis||Wm. Rardin|
|1849||David Colvin||Edward Ginn||Calvin Tracy|
|1850||James Henry||Edward Ginn||J.E. Vore|
|1851||Lewis Dille||Reuben Hague||Calvin Tracy|
|1852||Lewis Dille||Edward Ginn||Calvin Tracy|
|1853||Andrew Ogg||Philip W. Lampson||John E. Vore|
|1854||Andrew Ogg||J.S. King||John E. Vore|
|1855||H.C. Selby||J.S. King||John Whaley|
|1856||H.C. Selby||Philip W. Lampson||David Gilchrist|
|1857||David James||Edward Ginn||David Gilchrist|
|1858||Levi Rardin||J.M. Smith||George Wyatt|
|1859||Clark Dodds||Washington Endicott||George Wyatt|
|1860||Dyar Selby||Washignton Endicott||H.T. McCune|
|1861||J.C. Selby||Washington Endicott||Warren W Wickham|
|1862||Dyar Selby||Thomas Dickson||Warren W Wickham|
|1863||Elijah Hanson||Thomas Dickson||Warren W. Wickham|
|1864||Owen Gifford||Thomas Dickson||Washington Endicott|
|1865||Levi Rardin||Thomas Dickson||Washington Endicott|
|1866||H.C. Selby||Thomas Dickson||Washington Endicott|
|1867||H.C. Selby||H.L. Driggs||Elijah Hanson|
|1868||S.J. Wells||Elijah White||Elijah Hanson|
|Justice of the Peace|
|1828||Thaddeus Crippen and Wm. T. Brown|
|1831||Matthew Henry and W.T. Brown|
|1834||Levi Ellis and Robert Henry|
|1843||John Brawley and P.W. Sampson|
|1844||Dyar Selby, Jun|
|1847||Dyar Selby, Jun|
|1850||Dyar Selby, Jun|
|1852||Philip W. Lampson|
|1855||Philip W. Lampson|
|1858||Philip W. Lampson|
|1859||Robert Henry (refused to qualify), and Seaborn Carr|
|1867||Edwin F. Glazier|
|1868||Hiram C. Selby|
—came to northwestern territory with his father's family in 1798 and
settled first in Washington county and later in 1821 to this township. When a
young man Mr. Dickey was employed as a post rider to carry the mail on horseback,
between Marietta and Chillicothe.
[read more on his post rider adventures and his family in his full biography]
John Henry —settled in Bern township in 1817.
John Wickham —came to Athens county with his father's family in 1805, settling first in Rome township. Later he removed to Bern township.
Warren W. Wickham —has been a justice of the peace and township trustee.
William Rardin —came here in 1822 and settled on the state road between Marietta and Athens.
Dyar Selby —came to Ohio at an early day, and about 1833 settled in Bern township—has been township trustee and justice of the peace.
Thornton Swart —settled this township in 1838 on Possum run, adjoining Owen Gifford's place.