This township, originally a part of Troy, was separately organized in 1819. The following appears in the records of the county commissioners:
"November 10th, 1819—Resolved, that all that part of the township of Troy included in township No. 5, in the 12th range and the east half of township No. 4, in the 13th range, be a separate township by the name of Carthage."
And at the same session the inhabitants were directed to meet on a specified day and elect township officers.
The first justice of the peace in Carthage was Milton Buckingham. Joseph Guthrie and Francis Caldwell were also among the earliest. Among the early township trustees were Stephen Buckingham, Joseph Guthrie, Francis Caldwell, Alexander Caldwell, Moses Elliott, and B.B. Lottridge.
The early records of the township are lost, and there is no list of its officers prior to 1855. The population in 1820 was 320; in 1830 it was 395; in 1840 it was 734; in 1850 it was 1,087; in 1860 it was 1,127.
|Township Trustees since 1855|
|1855||Hiram Frost||Vincent Caldwell||Caleb Wells|
|1856-57||Jacob S. Coen||R.M. Wilson||Walter Glazier|
|1858||Jacob S. Coen||R.M. Wilson||William Mills|
|1859||Cyrenus Stout||Simeon Buck||Asa P. Jeffers|
|1860||Walter Glazier||James Buck||Asa P. Jeffers|
|1861||Walter Glazier||S.H. Lottridge||Cyrenus Stout|
|1862||William Merrill||S.H. Lottridge||Cyrenus Stout|
|1863||Aaron Stort||William Russel||John W. Nicholson|
|1864||S.H. Lottridge||Amasa Saunders||Charles Stout|
|1865||William Russell||Amasa Saunders||Charles Stout|
|1866||William Russell||David G Frost||John W Nicholson|
|1867||William Russell||David G Frost||E.M. Young|
|1868||Avery N. Saunders||Joseph D. Webster||Hiram C Frost|
|Township Clerks since 1855|
|who has been re-elected each year since|
|Justices of the Peace since 1852|
|1852||Daniel Tubbs, S.W. Lottridge, John Elliott|
|1855||Isaac Hull, Richard M Wilson|
|1858||Richard M Wilson|
|1861||Jacob S. Coen|
|1864||Jacob S. Coen|
|1865||Curtis Raincer, John Hammond|
|1866||Simon H. Lottridge|
Joseph Guthrie built the first grist mill in the township about the year 1820, on a small stream on his farm (near the southeast corner of the section six), called after himself, and which still retains the name of Guthrie creek. Since that time there have been two or three small grist mills built on a little stream in the northeast corner of the township formerly called Lizzie run but now called Little Jordan. There have also been several saw mills built in the township in later years, but all have fallen into disuse, and at present there is not a mill in the township worth mentioning.
There are nine school districts in Carthage, with nine good country school houses and five churches—two Methodist, one Presbyterian, one United Brethren, and one Christian or Campbellite. The Methodists, as usual, were the pioneer, their society having been organized about the year 1812; the Christian church was organized about the year 1835, the United Brethren about 1840, and the Presbyterian in 1850.
Asahel Cooley, Sen —The first white settler within the limits of what is now Carthage township. Settled within the present limits of Carthage in 1799 after traversing a dense wilderness between the Muskingum and the Hockhocking. He had soon cleared a piece of land and prepared a home. He was for many years justice of the peace and county commissioner and held other offices of trust in the very early history of the county
Simion Cooley —Oldest son of Asahel Cooley, built the Coolville mills and what was then considered a large distillery in 1815. He laid out near his mills the now neat and thriving village of Coolville which bears his name.
Bernardus B. Lottridge
—settled in Carthage township in 1805.
Like most of the pioneers he had but slender means, and depended chiefly on his energy, industry, and muscle. He held different local offices. His widow thinks that there were not more than ten or twelve persons living within the present bounds of Carthage when she and her husband settled here. The forests were full of game and wild animals. She remembers that one evening a large panther walked into thier house and stood before the fire. His rifle not being in the house Mr. Lottridge seized the butcher knife and would have attacked the animal instantly but for the entreaties of his wife. She supposes that her screams frightened the panter, for in a few moments he darted out at the door and made off. Her husband frequently killed panthers and bears—the meat of the latter being a favorite article of diet. She remembers that nearly the last, if not the very last, bear that Mr. Lottridge killed, he attacked and killed with no other weapon but a hickory club.
Isaac Lottridge —son of Bernardus B. Lottridge, represented Athens county for one session in the state legislature.
Simon H. Lottridge —son of Bernardus B. Lottridge, born in Carthage township in 1807, lives on the farm that his father owned. He is now a justice of the peace.
Ebenezer Buckingham, Sen. —settled in what is now Carthage township in 1801, near to Esquire Cooley.
Stephen Buckingham —settled near his brother Ebenezer about the same time.
William Jeffers —settled in Carthage township as a farmer in 1807.
A.P. Jeffers —was born in 1810 in Carthage, where he still lives. He was for several years one of the township trustees.
R.W. Jeffers —another son of William, was born in Carthage township in 1814.
Alexander Caldwell —came to Carthage township in 1816, where he settled as a farmer. He served one term as justice of the peace and several years as township trustee.
Moses Elliott —settled as a farmer in Carthage township in 1823. He was a justice of the peace for twelve years.
John Elliott —oldest son of Moses Elliott, came to Carthage with his father's family in 1823. He was county commissioner several years.
James Elliott —youngest son of Moses, was born in Carthage in 1826. He has been township clerk for many years.
James Baker —came to Carthage in 1826, where he has followed the joint vocation of farmer and miller.
Daniel Boyd —settled in Carthage township as a farmer in 1838.
Hugh and William F. Boyd —Sons of Daniel Boyd graduated at the Ohio university in 1860 and 1866, respectively, and have engaged successfully in teaching.
Abraham Norris —settled in Carthage in 1829 as a farmer.
Peter Hammond —settled in Carthage township as a farmer in 1845.
John Hammond —oldest son of Peter Hammond, is now a justice of the peace.
Nathaniel Martin —came to Carthage in 1836, where he has since lived a farmer. He served as township treasurer for twenty-two years consecutively.
Caleb P. Wells —moved to Carthage with his father-in-law [Mr Martin] in 1836, where he lived as a farmer.
Walter Glazier —was born in Ames township, in this county, in 1807, and removed to Carthage in 1837. He has served as justice of the peace five years, township assessor seven years, and township trustee twelve years.
John Lawrence —settled as a farmer in Carthage township in 1837.
Edward Lawrence —settled in Carthage in 1841. His occupation is farming. He was appointed postmaster at Lottridge, when the office was established, in 1851, and still hold the position.
William Mills —removed to Carthage township in 1839, where he still lives. By occupation he is a farmer. He served one year as township trustee, and one year as assessor.