Trimble township is the most northern township in Athens County, and the only county township to border Perry County. The surrounding area is comprised of gently rolling hills and large wooded areas. Three villages are located in eastern Trimble township: Glouster in the north, Trimble in the center, and Jacksonville in the south. Glouster is located along Sunday Creek. The village of Glouster was formerly known as Sedalia
Trimble Brick Plant, 1910
TRIMBLE township was originally a part of Ames, from which it was stricken off and separately organized in April,
1827. It lies at the extreme northern limit of the county, on the waters of Sunday creek, the main branch of which
runs, somewhat centrally, from north to south, through the township. It was named after Governor Allen Trimble,
one of the early governors of Ohio.
The first settlement made in this township was by Solomon Tuttle, Sen., in 1802. He, with his son, Cyrus Tuttle, and his brother, Nial Tuttle, all from Vermont, settled on the main creek. Soon after them came Joseph McDaniel and William Morrow. Mr. Bagley, with several sons, came from Vermont and settled in 1820, on the west fork of the creek, below what is now called Hartleyville. One of his sons, William Bagley, being a clothier by trade, established a pioneer factory for dressing cloth and, in connection with it, a flourmill, the flour being bolted by hand. This was the first mill in the township, and has been kept up, with various improvements, ever since. It is now owned by Mr. Perry Zimmerman. Samuel Bagley, a tanner by trade, established the first tan yard in the township, about the year 1820.
In 1822 a school was taught by Nancy Bagley, a native of Vermont, near the forks of the creek. About 1824 a few families established a school of eight or ten scholars, which was taught by John Morrow, in a log school house without any floor. His compensation was one dollar and fifty cents a week. The school house was located on the creek between Solomon Tuttle's and James Dew's. Among the few scholars in this pioneer school was Mr. E. H. Moore, now president of the First National bank in Athens, who also taught a district school in the same place in 1832.
The Baptists, Methodists, and Christians, were the first religious societies formed in the township, and continue to be the leading organizations. William Bagley's mill on the west fork of Sunday creek was, as before stated, the first in the township. In 1825 Jonathan Watkins built a mill at the village first known as Oxford, but since called Trimble. It was at first only a saw mill, but, after two or three years, a grist mill was connected with it. This mill continued to be the principal one in the township till 1865, when it was destroyed by fire.
The people of this township are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and the lands are being rapidly improved.
Considerable attention is given to stock growing and to the culture of tobacco. Coal of excellent quality, both bituminous and cannel, exists here in large deposits, which, as soon as it becomes accessible by branch railroads, now projected, will command the attention of capitalists. Iron ore of good quality is also found in various parts of the township, and near to large deposits of good limestone. Salt water of great strength, and thought by competent judges to be equal to any in the Hockhocking valley, has recently been found in abundance in a well bored for oil by Mr. R. J. Arnold. This well is on the Zanesville road near the northern line of the county. It is a little over one thousand feet in depth. About twenty-five years ago the Eggleston salt works on Green's run, near the south line of the township, were operated successfully. At that time this was esteemed a valuable well, but for many years past it has not been used.
The center of population in the township is the village of Trimble, situated on section 8. It has a post office, two stores, three physicians, the requisite number of mechanics, and a population of about two hundred. The population of the township in 1830 was 190; in 1840 it was 762; in 1850 it was 924; in 1860 it was 1,112.
At the first election for township officers in 1827, which was held at the house of William Bagley, James Price, James Bosworth, and Jeremiah Cass were judges of the election, and Samuel B. Johnson and Cyrus Tuttle, clerks
|1827||William Bagley - 1830 Trimble Township.|
|1827||William Bagley, James Bosworth, Solomon Newton|
|1828||Jeremiah Cass, Elijah Alderman|
|1829||Joseph McDonald, James Price|
|1833||Elijah Alderman, Thomas Dew, John Ivers|
|1834||Luther Mingus, Enoch Rutter|
|1836||Solomon Newton, Andrew McKee, William Shaner|
|1838||Solomon Newton, H Ebenezer Shaner|
|1839||William McKee, M John Ivers|
|1840||Thos. L. Love, Andrew Rutter, Wanting.|
|1841||James Hage, W J. Hartley, M|
|1842||John B. Johnson,|
|1843||Isaac N. Joseph, William J. Hartley|
|1845||Andrew McKee, Caleb Carter, Isaac Blackwood|
|1847||William McClellan, Andrew Dew, J. D. Davis|
|1851||William H. Peugh, S. T. Grow|
|1853||James Hage, John Jvers, Wanting|
|1854||Andrew Dew, U William McClellan|
|1856||Joseph Allen, B. Worrell, Andrew Dew|
|1857||Benjamin Norris, J. M. Johnson|
|1858-59||William H. Peugh, William McClellan, S. P. Grow|
|1860-61||L. H. Rinehart|
|1863||Samuel Banks, John Shaner|
|1864||John Gift, Dorsey McClellan|
|1865-66||Milton Monroe, J. C. Lefever|
|1867||William H. Peugh, Isaac Blackwood, Lemuel Bethel|
|1868||Samuel Banks, J. M Amos, Joseph Allen|
|Successive Justices of the Peace|
|1830||James Price and Jeremiah Cass|
|1833||Daniel Frazer and Samuel Mills|
|1836||Seth Pratt and Samuel Mills|
|1847||Isaac N. Joseph|
|1848||George W. Roberts|
|1850||Aquilla Norris and Benjamin Norris|
|1851||Benjamin Norris and George W. Roberts|
|1856||Isaac N. Joseph|
|1857||John M. Johnson (resigned February 3, 1858)|
|1859||William H. Peugh|
|1867||J. S. Dew|
Jonathan Watkins, Sen., came from Athens township in 1803, and settled in the lower part of Trimble, and soon after Eliphalet Wheeler settled near him. Mr.Watkins was a blacksmith, but, like most of the early settlers, occasionally engaged in hunting. He shot a buffalo soon after settling in Trimble, and broke its fore leg. He pursued the animal, thus crippled, from Green's run in Trimble township, across Wolf plains, and over the Hockhocking some distance, but failed to capture it.
Samuel Clark settled here about 1820. James Bosworth, from Fall River, Massachusetts, came here in 1821, but, after living in the township a few years, went back to New England. Enos Barnes, from New England, a son-in-law of Mr. Bagley, settled here in 1818. He was a blacksmith. Solomon Newton, a native of Worcester, Massachusetts, came to Athens county in 1821, and settled in Trimble in 1822. His place was on the creek about three miles below James Dew's, and, being situated on the main road between Athens and Zanesville, was formerly very well known. Mr. Newton died in 1849.
About 1814 James and Thomas Dew, brothers, came to Athens county with their parents, from Maryland, and made permanent settlements. James settled just outside of the present limits of Trimble township. Several of his sons, including Dr. J. S. Dew and Mr. Henry C. Dew, now live in Trimble.
James Price, a native of Rhode Island, settled in Trimble in 1820. One of his sons, Mr. Abel Price, is now living in the township. John B. Johnson, son of Azel Johnson, one of the early settlers of Dover township, settled in Trimble as a farmer in 1820. He was the father of Mr. J. M. Johnson, recently sheriff of the county.
[Source: "History of Hocking Valley, Ohio"; Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883 — Transcribed by Sandra Cummins]
Oliver D. Jackson, owner and proprietor of mines and store,and founder of the town of Jacksonville, is the only son of Joshua H. and Mary (Bean) Jackson. He was born in York Township, Athens County, May 18, 1848, and lived there until 1854, when his parents removed to Ward Township, Hocking County. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching school, and taught during the winter season four years. Aug. 25, 1872, he and his father established a hardware store at New Straitsville, Perry Co., Ohio, under the firm name of J. H. Jackson & Son. In September, 1875, he purchased his father's interest and continued the business alone until May 1, 1877, when he sold a portion of his business there, and removed a portion of his stock to Bessemer and established a general mercantile store, and in November following removed his business to Buchtel, and April 1, 1878, he sold an interest in the business to the Akron Iron Company. He was then having full charge of the management of the store and live-stock business of the company until Sept. 10, 1882, when he sold his interest to the Akron Iron Company. In April, 1880, he purchased the first lands where he is now in business, and has added adjoining lands continually to the present time. He began business at this point Sept. 15, 1882, and is now shipping coal from his mines, and has a village laid out covering sixty acres. Sept. 7, 1875, he married Jane, daughter of David and Tryphena (Judd) Eggleston, of Ward Township, Hocking County. They have four children---Minnie E., William W., Frederick H. and Edward B.
[Source: "History of Hocking Valley, Ohio"; Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883]
Some fifteen miles north of Athens on the Kanawha and Michigan railroad is situated the thriving little city of
Glouster in the center of the rich mining region of the Sunday Creek Valley. It may not be generally known that
Glouster claims a population of about 3,000 and is therefore entitled to a greater degree of distinction than is
usually accorded the ordinary mining village.
The industry upon which the growth of the town is based is essentially mining. Many large mines are in operation in the immediate vicinity and at present most of them are working about full time. The development of the Sunday Creek Valley coal field is yet in its infancy and the field is practically inexhaustible.
Glouster has no manufactories of consequence but there are beds of excellent clay in the vicinity and it is safe to predict that within the near future attention will be turned to manufacturing.
Glouster has many large stores, some fine business blocks, good churches and a beautiful school building, which is an ornament to the Magic City. The fact that Supt. R. L. Hooper is in charge is sufficient guarantee that the schools are well conducted. The enrollment at present is 408.
Urbancrest, a northern suburb, is composed of several elegant residences picturesquely nestled amid the surrounding hills.
Some sections of sidewalks in Glouster seem to have been divorced from other sections on account of incompatibility of temper or some such cause - at least the visitor is so impressed. The nature of the walks does not agree for any great distance. There are board walks, brick walks, cinder walks and often no walks at all.
Glouster Ball team, 1910
Photo Courtesy of the Mahn Center,
Alden Library, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
Last Saturday, Sept. 22, was the thirty-second anniversary of the promulgation of the Emancipation Proclamation
by President Abraham Lincoln. The colored citizens of Glouster and vicinity determined to fittingly celebrate
the day and accordingly prepared a program of public exercises to be held at Allen's Grove, a pleasant woodland
near the town. Immediately after dinner the orators of the day escorted by a colored band from Rendville and members
of the local G.A.R. Post proceeded to the grounds where a good sized audience had assembled. Chairman F.H. McKinney
called the meeting to order and after an invocation had been offered, presented General Grosvenor who made an excellent
address full of practical wisdom. General Grosvenor in the beginning of his address disavowed any intention of
making reference to matters political. He briefly reviewed the causes which led up to the great dram of the civil
war and the consequent emancipation of the slaves, interspersing his remarks with anecdotes and illustrations drawn
form personal reminiscence and local history. He paid an eloquent tribute to the bravery and efficiency of the
colored troops who were enlisted in the war and closed his address with the admonition that the colored race should
not claim recognition and preferment because of the fact, per se, that they are colored, which always engenders
prejudice, but rather to merit political and social preferment by the characters which they form. General Grosvenor's
address was well received.
Mr. Walter S. Thomas of Columbus, and eloquent champion of his race, next spoke of the rapid strides in progress which the colored people have made since their liberation and gave some timely advice to members of his race.
Maj. Charles Townsend followed with one of this characteristically appropriated and eloquent addresses a synopsis of which we could not give and do it justice. Vividly and with pathos he portrayed the inhuman brutalities of the slave system of antebellum days. From ancient history he drew examples of heroic deeds which he coupled with the deeds of those who gave their lives in the cause of the oppressed - in particular he who was the apostle of abolition, John Brown. Major Townsend closed his splendid address with words of counsel and advice to those who represented the race liberated by the proclamation of the immortal Lincoln. The address was greeted with warm applause.
[Source: "THE ATHENS MESSENGER AND HERALD", September 27, 1894 - transcribed by Sandra Cummins for Genealogy Trails]
Old Jackson-Trimble High School
At the start of the 1964-65 school year Glouster High School and Jacksonville-Trimble (known as J-T High School) consolidated. From 1964 until 1973 the school was known as Glouster High School. In 1973 a new school opened just outside of Jacksonville in Trimble Township. The school adopted the name of the township, becoming Trimble High School. The school district serves the residents of Glouster, Jacksonville, and Trimble. The school mascot is a tomcat and the school colors are red, white, and gray