Troy township was settled under the auspices of the Ohio Company in the year 1798--about a year after the settlement of Athens and Ames. Some events of its history can, however, be traced back to a period nearly twenty-five years prior to that date with the "Dunmore's war" and to the building of a fort at the mouth of the Hockhocking in 1774.
In 1798 a company of about forty persons, including men, women and children, started from near Springfield, Massachusetts, for the west. They landed at Belpre, and from thence came in 1799 to what is now Troy township and settled on the Hockhocking about seven miles from its mouth. In this party were Eleazur Washburn, Noah, Cyrus, and Xerxes Paulk, Horace Parsons, and Ephraim Frost with their families. Xeres Paulk and Horace Parsons were Baptist preachers; the latter was pastor of the first Baptist church in the township for about thirty years.
Troy, as its boundaries were originally defined by the county commissioners at their first meeting, comprised the territory which now constitutes the townships of Orange and Olive in Meigs county, and Rome, Carthage, and Troy in Athens county. At that time the Hockhocking river was the dividing line between Athens and Washington counties, but by an act of the legislature passed February 18, 1807, the portion of the township No. 5, range 11 (now Troy), lying east of the river, was detached from Washington and added to Athens county. The formation of Carthage township in 1810 and of Rome in 1811, and the erection of Meigs county in 1819, taking off two townships, reduced Troy to its present limits.
The first election for township officers was held in 1805 a the house of Ebenezer Buckingham. Stephen Buckingham was the township lister for that year. These men were the founders of the Buckingham family which, removing subsequently to Muskingum county, became celebrated for wealth and social influence.
The township records prior to 1837 are lost but Abram Brookhart was township trustee for several years and Jonas Smith was township trustee for several terms.
|Township Trustees since 1837|
|1837||M.L.Bestow||Jesse Derry||Samuel Dutton|
|1838||M.L.Bestow||Jesse Derry||Ferdinand Paulk|
|1839||Nicholas Baker||Jedediah Fuller||Ferdinand Paulk|
|1840||Nicholas Baker||Jedediah Fuller||Wm Kincade|
|1841||Nicholas Baker||Samuel Dutton||Heman Cooley|
|1842||Josephus Tucker||Samuel Dutton||Wm W. Barrows|
|1843-44||Josephus Tucker||Nicholas Baker||John Brookhart|
|1845||Samuel Dutton||Nicholas Baker||M.L.Bestow|
|1846||Josephus Tucker||Nicholas Baker||Ferdinand Paulk|
|1847||Josephus Tucker||Nicholas Baker||Samuel Humphrey|
|1849||Heman Cooley||Samuel Dutton||Thomas Richardson|
|1850||R.M. Wilson||Samuel Humphrey||J.M.Maxwell|
|1851||Stephen Warren||Josephus Tucker||J.M.Maxwell|
|1852-53||M.L.Bestow||Josephus Tucker||Samuel Humphrey|
|1854||Samuel Dutton||Josephus Tucker||C.Creesey|
|1855||Thomas Richardson||Josephus Tucker||C.Creesey|
|1857-59||M.L.Bestow||Josephus Tucker||Thomas Richardson|
|1860||M.L.Bestow||Samuel Humphrey||James Morrison|
|1861||Thomas Richardson||Samuel Humphrey||James Morrison|
|1862||R.K.Bridges||Shepard Humphrey||James Morrison|
|1863||M.L.Bestow||Shepard Humphrey||Thomas Richardson|
|1864||John Frame||E.H.Williams||Thomas Richardson|
|1866||Thomas Smith||E.H.Williams||Thomas Richardson|
|1867-68||R.F.Parrish||James B. Dutton||Thomas Richardson|
|Clerks and Treasurers since 1837|
|1837-38||Isaac A Dinsmore||R.B.Blair|
|1840||Eps Storey||John Frame|
|Justice of the Peace since 1838|
|1841||Sylvester A. Gibbs|
|1843||Sylvester A. Gibbs|
|1846||Sylvester A. Gibbs|
|1847||Wm. F Pilcher|
|1850-52||Sylvester A. Gibbs, Wm. F Pilcher|
|1854||Wm. F Pilcher|
|1855||Sylvester A. Gibbs|
|1857||Wm. F Pilcher|
|1858||Sylvester A. Gibbs|
|1859||Wm. F Pilcher|
|1862||Wm. F Pilcher|
|1865-68||Wm. F Pilcher, Wm G. Boyd|
Hockingport, at the mouth of the Hockhocking river, was one of the earliest settlements in the county. Formerly, when the merchants of Athens, Amesville, Coolville, and other places had their goods landed at Hockingport and hauled thence to various parts of the county, the place had some activity. But since the construction of the Marietta & Cincinnati railroad, Hockingport has been deprived of its principal source of business.
A much more interesting and thriving village is Coolville, on the west bank of the Hockhocking five miles from its mouth, the settlement of which was begun in 1814 by Simeon W Cooley and his son Heman, who built a mill there. The town was laid out in 1818, incorporated in 1855, and its present population is about three hundred. Surrounded with a good agricultural region and an industrious population, Coolville is likely to continue one of the most pleasant villages in the county. It has three churches, two district schools, a prosperous seminary, a town hall, masonic hall, etc.
Among the early settlers at Coolville were the Cooleys, Jacob S Miller and Alfred Hobby.
Rome township being stricken off from Troy in 1811 took with it many of the prominent early settlers, some of who are noticed with the history of Rome township, as Asahel Cooley, Levi Stedman, Daniel Stewart, and others.
Among the earliest settlers in Troy were Benajah Hoyt, Xerxes Paulk, Joseph Guthrie, Daniel Stewart, the Barrows family, William Pilcher, Asahel Cooley, John Torrence, Oliver Rice, Cummins Porter, Stephen Buckingham, Abram Richardson, Truman Hickox, and the Frost family. Some of these are noticed in connection with Rome and Carthage.
Benajah Hoyt — probably the first white settler in Troy. He came to the mouth of the Hockhocking with his family in 1797.
Kingman Dutton — father of Mr. Samuel Dutton, still living in Troy, settled at the mouth of the Hockhocking with his family in 1806.
— settled in Troy in 1810, was township trustee for several terms.
— settled in Troy in 1810
— settled in Troy in 1810
— settled in Troy in 1811, and was township trustee for several years.
John Frame — settled in Troy in 1833
Dr John Pratt — settled in Coolville in 1835.