York Township is one of the fourteen townships of Athens County, Ohio. The 2000 census found 7,740 people in the township, 1,947 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township. York township was a part of Ames until 1811, and then, on the organization of Dover, became a part of the latter township. The first election for York township officers was held at the house of Ebenezer Blackstone.
The residents of York Township are served by the Nelsonville-York City School District and Nelsonville-York High School. The school is located in the village of Buchtel Also located in York township, near Nelsonville, are Hocking College and Tri-County Vocational School.
Nelsonville is a city in northwestern Athens County and is located along the Hocking River on U.S. Route 33. U.S. 33, also known as Canal Street, is located on top of where the old Hocking Canal once ran. Currently, a bypass is being planned for the city.
Originally known as Englishtown , Nelsonville was laid out in June, 1818, and named after Mr. Daniel Nelson, who owned the land on which the town is situated. The town was incorporated by act of the legislature passed in 1838.
NELSONVILLE, a hill bordered town prospered during the lusty years of the Hocking Valley coal boom.
Few miners are seen on the street these days. Nelsonville's population decreased, but the manufacture of brick and tile keeps the city from languishing. Originally known as Englishtown, the town changes its name in 1824 to honor Daniel Nelson, the settlement's most enterprising citizen. With completion of the Hocking Canal through the valley in 1841 and the Hocking valley Railroad in 1869, shafts were sunk to the nearby coal beds in increasing numbers, and there began a period of growth that culminated just after the World war. Large round clay kilns are in the valley, their yellow brick domes grayed with soot and weathering.
THE OHIO GUIDE - WORK PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION IN THE STATE OF OHIO - THE OHIO STATE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY - COPYRIGHT 1940
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.0 square miles (12.9 km²), all of it land.The estimated population, in 2003, was 5,483.
is an unincorporated village in Athens and Hocking counties, just northeast of Nelsonville. Buchtel is located on
State Route 78. A former name for the village is Bessemer.
The village was named for John R. Buchtel who undertook the development of the coal and iron resources of the Hocking valley. Buchtel is locally known for a large local spring (nicknamed the "watering trough") close to State Route 78. This spring emerges from an abandoned mine shaft that has been dammed up. Many area residents get water at this spring.
Doanville is an unincorporated village southeast of Nelsonville, in York township.
York Township Cemeteries include: Greenlawn Cemetery, Fort Street Cemetery, Connett Cemetery
[Photo and Information From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
THE HISTORY OF NELSONVILLE
The town of Nelsonville, near the northern limit of the township, is a thrifty village, with a population of 1,700 and steadily increasing. It was laid out in June, 1818, and named after Mr. Daniel Nelson, who owned the land on which the town is situated. The town was incorporated by act of the legislature passed in 1838. The first election for town officers was held April 27, 1839, when Charles Cable was elected mayor ; A. J. Bond recorder ; John Coe, S. M. Sheppard, John Hull, W. W. Poston, and James Rusk trustees. Luther Burt was appointed marshal of the village, and Robert Miller treasurer. James Rusk declining to serve as trustee, Thomas L. Mintun was appointed in his place. Since then the following persons have been elected mayor. The township records from 1818 to 1844 can not be found.
|1845||R. G. McLean|
|[Mr. Steenrod having resigned, |
A. J. Guitteau was appointed for his unexpired term]
|1850-51||B. A. Lincoln|
|1852||Thomas L. Mintun|
|1854||H. H. Miers|
|1855||A. M. Burgess|
|1856-57||O. T. Hyde|
|1859-60||A. H. Burrell|
|1861||J. E. Howe|
|1862-63||M. A. Stewart|
|1865||H. H. Miers|
|1866||Jacob C. Frost|
|1867||R. R. Patterson|
|1868||John F. Welch|
|Township Trustees since 1844:|
|T. M. Boyles|
|U L. D. Poston, II|
|U M. D. Socie|
|G. L. Cooley|
|P. H. Moore|
|R. R. Patterson|
|James H. Devore|
|W. W. Poston|
|A. H. Cowen|
|J. G. Miers|
|Thomas L. Mintun|
|J. G. Miers|
|Township Clerks and Treasurers since 1844:|
|1844||Robert Miller. Cornelius Steenrod|
|1849||Thomas L. Mintun|
|1851||J. B. Harper. J. E. Price|
|1854-58||Lewis Steenrod. Cornelius Steenrod|
|1862-63||Samuel N. Poston|
|1864-67||John Harrison. John W. Scott|
|Justices of the Peace since 1844:|
|1844||William E. Brown|
|1848||B. F. Harper|
|1850||Thomas L. Mintun|
|1854-60||Joshua Sheffield and Thomas L. Mintun|
|1861||Robert R. Patterson|
|1863-66||Ashford Porter and Robert Patterson|
|1867||Thomas L. Mintun|
Personal and Biographical
Prominent among the early citizens of York was Mr. James Knight. He was born in Pulborough, England, and emigrated to the United States when thirty-two years old, came immediately to York township, and settled here in July, 1821. He became at once thoroughly identified with the interests of the township and especially of Nelsonville, and during his residence here was one of the most active and influential citizens, participating earnestly in the local improvements and social movements of the day, such as the building of bridges, school and meeting houses, the establishment of Sunday and day schools, etc. He kept public house in Nelsonville for many years, and was very assiduous in imparting information about the Hockhocking valley to travelers. He aided largely in the construction of the first bridge over the Hockhocking, at Nelsonville, in 1827, and also in the erection of a second one in 1832, and of the bridge across Monday creek, three miles below Nelsonville, in 1832. These bridges were mainly built on individual subscriptions, paid, in many instances, in grain and labor, and the original subscription papers, with the plans of the work and the written contracts therefore, were found in complete order among Mr. Knight's papers after his death.
In 1832 he prepared, by request, a circular calling attention to the importance of an immediate improvement of the Hockhocking valley by a canal from Lancaster to the Ohio river, which was sent to leading men throughout southern Ohio, and which contributed much toward the chartering of the "Hocking Valley canal " in the spring of 1839 and its construction soon after. Mr. Knight died August 26, 1836, aged forty-seven years. The following memoranda are in his own handwriting:
Mr. Edward Redman, Mrs. Redman, Harriet Redman, arrived 26th May, 1832.
Charles Wheeler arrived July 18th.
Captain Hale, with Samuel Older, wife and eight children, Thomas Older, William Thaire, wife and children; James Smart, wife and two children; William Saunders, wife and four children; Barberry, wife and children; George Tribe and wife; George Hook and Ned Smithers arrived at Nelsonville July 30th, 1832, at 11 o'clock in the forenoon.
Peter Smithers and wife and children at Pittsburg;
Charles Southerton, wife and children at Sunday creek;
Captain Hale stayed fifteen days at Nelsonville;
Graffham and family arrived August 21st, 1832;
Miss Courtauld arrived November 20, 1834.
— L. D.
L. D. Poston was born in Hampshire county, Virginia, March 29, 1812, and came to Athens county in September, 1830. For about two years after coming here he worked out by the month, then engaged in buying and selling cattle till October, 1835, when he settled in Nelsonville in the mercantile business. The letter of credit, on which he purchased his first stock of goods, was given him by J. N. and J. H. Norton, and Ezra and William Stewart of Athens. In 1852 Mr. Poston began extensive coal operations which he still continues, owning some of the most valuable coal lands and mines in the township. He is a man of strict integrity, fine business capacity, and. an excellent citizen. By his own efforts and attention to business he has become one of the wealthiest men in the county.
Samuel Robbins was one of the early settlers of York. He was born in Massachusetts in 1771, came to Athens county in 1819, and to Nelsonville in 1822, where he lived the rest of his life. He built and carried on the first tannery in this part of the county. He died September 21, 1832. His descendants are mostly living in York.
Solomon Roberts, a native of New York, came to Athens county in 1819 and settled in Nelsonville in March, 1821. He found here less than half a dozen cabins and one frame house. Coal was not known to exist about Nelsonville for several years after this date. Mr. Roberts, being a blacksmith, got his coal from Minker's run and Monday creek, for some time after he came here. Prior to the opening of the canal, samples of the Nelsonville coal were sent in wagons to Lancaster, Circleville, and other towns for blacksmithing, and its quality fully tested and approved. Mr. Roberts and his son, Mr. W. P. Roberts, are well known in Nelsonville.
Lewis Steenrod was born in a block house at Wheeling, Virginia, in June, 1791, came to Ohio in 1805, and resided in Muskingum county about eight miles east of Zanesville for over forty years. In 1850 he removed with his family to Nelsonville where he died December 10, 1860. "Father" Steenrod, as he was called, was a man of benevolent heart and gentle life. He was a member of the Baptist church, having united with that organization in 1812. Some of his descendants remain in the county.
SOURCE: HISTORY OF ATHENS COUNTY, OHIO And Incidentally of the Ohio Land Company AND THE First Settlement of the State at Marietta WITH PERSONAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE EARLY SETTLERS, NARRATIVES OF PIONEER ADVENTURES, ETC. BY CHARLES M. WALKER, WITH MAP AND PORTRAITS, CINCINNATI: ROBERT CLARKE & CO., 1869.