Auglaize County, Ohio
Black Hoof - Chief of the Shawnee Indians, died about Sept. 1st 1831, age about 114 years. He was known throughout the Western Country and was at St. Clairs, Harmer's, Crawford's, and Braddocks's defeat. (Source: Oct. 11, 1831, "National Intelligencer", tr. by K. Torp)
Further info from wikipedia:
Catecahassa, or Black Hoof (c. 17401831) was the head civil chief of the Shawnee Indians in the Ohio Country of what became the United States. A member of the Mekoche division of the Shawnees, Black Hoof became known as a fierce warrior during the early wars between the Shawnee and Anglo-American colonists.
E. G. Conradi
E. G. CONRADI, former mayor of the flourishing village of New Bremen, for more than twenty-two years editor of the local newspapers in that village, the Sun and the Stern des Westlichen Ohio, secretary of the New Bremen Telephone Company, and in other ways interested and active in the general civic and industrial life of that community, one of the best known men in this section of Ohio, is a native son of Auglaize county and has lived here all his life, his first mature service to the community of which he is so definite a part having been that rendered as a young man as a teacher in the schools of his home town. Mr. Conradi was born on a farm in German township on October 12, 1872, and is the eighth in order of birth of the nine children born to Carl F. and Gertrude (Bruetsch) Conradi, natives of Germany, who became residents of the New Bremen neighborhood in the early '50s of the past century, and both of whom now are deceased. Other surviving members of this numerous family are Mrs. Joe Poppe, of St. Marys township; Louis and August Conradi, successful farmers of German township; Dr. E. Conradi, president of the Florida State College for Women at Tallahassee, and Prof. A. F. Conradi, state entomologist for South Carolina and a professor in the State Agricultural College at Clemson, S. C.
Reared on the home farm in the vicinity of New Bremen, E. G. Conradi completed the course in the high school in that village and then began teaching school, a teacher in the village schools, and for eleven years followed this profession, in the meanwhile becoming an active and influential factor in the general social and cultural activities of the community and acquiring that wide and intelligent acquaintance with local conditions that presently was to stand him so well in stead as his most valuable bit of "stock in trade", for it is indisputable that the wideawake newspaper man's most indispensable asset is an all-comprehensive acquaintance with the general history and traditions of the community he serves. In May, 1900, Mr. Conradi became connected in a proprietary way with the printing and publishing business at New Bremen, and has thus been engaged ever since, as is set out elsewhere in this work in the chapter relating to the newspapers of Auglaize county. When, in 1907, the present Home Printing Company of New Bremen was organized, publishers of the Sun and the Stern des Westlichen Ohio, Mr. Conradi was elected president of that concern and has so continued, having general editorial direction of both newspapers, an editorial service which, now has covered more than twenty-two years, and during which time these newspapers have rendered an incalculable service to the community by keeping the communal interests presented in a foremost way before the world. Mr. Conradi also for years has taken an active interest in the promotion of the general civic and industrial affairs of the community and is financially interested in several of the leading local manufacturing enterprises of his home town. Re was one of the active promoters of the development of the local telephone plant, is secretary and a member of the board of directors of the New Bremen Telephone Company, and to the constantly growing interests of this company devotes a large part of his time. He has ever given his intelligent and thoughtful attention to civic affairs, and for almost five years served as mayor of the village, and for one term as a member of the local board of education. On December 25, 1894, while serving as a teacher in the schools of New Bremen, E. G. Conradi was united in marriage to Ida W. Boesel, eldest daughter of the late Hon. Jacob Boesel, of New Bremen, a member of the pioneer Boesel family of that neighborhood, concerning which family further and fitting mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Conradi have a very pleasant home at New Bremen and have ever taken an interested part in the general social and cultural activities of the community. They are active members of the Pentecostal church, and in the congregation of this church Mr. Conradi has held offices of trust for many years. [Source: pg. 415-16, "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
John N. Gutmann
One of the long-established mercantile houses of Auglaize County is that which is now being conducted at Fryburg by John N. Gutmann, and which was founded by his father many years ago. The Gutmann family is one which is well known and highly respected in this county, where its members have been substantial, solid and reliable people, and John N. Gutmann, as proprietor of the establishment, is proving himself a worthy representative of the name. Mr. Gutman has passed his entire life in the community in which he now resides. Here he was reared and educated and here he has become known in business circles. He was born at Fryhurg, Auglaize County, Ohio, March 31, 1863, and is a son of Nicholas and Mary (Mauger) Gutmann. His father, who was born in Bier, Germany, in 1816, came to the United States as a young man and located at Fryburg, Ohio, as one of the early settlers of this small but prosperous community. Soon after his arrival he founded a mercantile business, which grew with the passing years, as it was conducted along lines of fairness and honorable dealing and it attracted trade from all over the countryside of a rich farming locality. Mr. Gutmann continued to conduct this business throughout the remainder of his life, and was still at its head at the time of his death, in 1879. At that time it was taken charge of by his wife, who conducted it until advancing years made it advisable for younger shoulders to take up the responsibility. Nicholas Gutmann was a democrat in politics, although not a politician. He belonged to the Catholic Church, and in that faith the children were reared, and Mrs. Gutmann also belongs to that church. She was born in Pennsylvania, October 24, 1829, and was a young woman when she came to Fryburg, where she still resides, having reached the advanced age of eighty-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Gutmann became the parents of ten children, of whom seven are still living: George, who is a bricklayer of Indianapolis, Indiana; Joseph N., a prosperous citizen of Springfield. Ohio, who is now living in retirement; Mary, who is the wife of Joseph Kunstle, a farmer of Auglaize County: John N.; P. G. N., who conducts a general store and is the express and general freight agent at Gutmann, Ohio: Louisa, who is single and resides at Wapakoneta; and Hannah C. who is the widow of Pete Lear and resides at that place. John N. Gutmann was educated in the district schools of the vicinity of his boyhood home and the graded schools at Lima, and his first business experience was gained in his father's store. His entire business life has been identified with this business, and March 25, 1913, he became proprietor of the store when he bought the interests of his mother. Mr. Gutmann is continuing to conduct the enterprise along the lines that made it successful under its former management, and now has a trade that extends over a wide territory. He carries an up-to-date stock of goods, attractively arranged and well chosen in regard to his customers' needs. Mr. Gutmann was married in 1903 to Miss Agnes Elizabeth Gerstner. who was born near Fryburg, Ohio, daughter of George Gerstner, a native of Bier, Germany, who came to the United States when seven years of age. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gutmann: Norma, Lourena, Hannah, in school; and William Joseph and Dorothy, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Gutmann are members of the Catholic Church. He is a democrat in politics. [Source: "A History of Northwest Ohio", by Nevin Otto Winter, Lewis Publishing Co, 1917 transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]
John C. Halsema
John C. Halsema is one of the very successful educators in Northwest Ohio, and for the past three years has been superintendent of the public school system of Minster, in Auglaize County. He was born in New Bremen, Ohio, August 1, 1876, and represents some staunch Holland Dutch ancestry. His parents, John and Veronica (Dutmers) Halsema, were both born in Holland, and are still living. His father was born in 1840 and his mother in 1844. The paternal grandfather, Julius Halsema, spent his life in Holland as a farmer. John and Veronica Halsema came to the United States in 1874, settling in New Bremen, Ohio. He is a watch maker and jeweler, and through his hard work and intelligent business management has provided well for himself and family. He and his family are Catholics, and he is a democrat. There were nine children, and the five now living are: John C.; E. J. Halsema, who graduated from the New Bremen High School and the Ohio State University, and is now district engineer for the Philippine government in the Philippine Islands; Bernard, who is also a graduate of the New Bremen High School, took two years of technical work in the Ohio State University, and is now an electrician at Chickasha, Oklahoma; Geciena is unmarried, lives at home and is a telephone operator; Elizabeth is also a telephone operator at New Bremen, and a graduate of the Ohio State Normal College at Athens. John C. Halsema attended the public schools at New Bremen, graduating from high school in 1893, and has been actively identified with educational work since he was seventeen years of age. In the meantime he has carried on his studies privately and in higher institutions, was graduated from the Ohio State Normal College at Oxford in 1907, and in 1911 was awarded the A. B. degree by Miami University and in 1915 received the degree of Master of Arts from the Ohio State University. His has been a progressive career, his responsibilities increasing with his experience and his larger attainments. He spent some years in rural schools, spent one year in the seventh grade of the public schools of New Bremen, was promoted from that position to principal of the New Bremen High School, where he served five years, and in 1913 he became superintendent of the Minster schools. He now has twelve teachers under him, and there are 450 pupils enrolled. Mr. Halsema is a member of the Catholic Church and a democrat in politics. He is also a member of the county examining board. He is unmarried. It should be recalled that in the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893, the New Bremen and Minster schools were awarded bronze medals for efficiency of their work, and thus for years these schools have enjoyed a splendid standing and reputation in Auglaize County. [Source: "A History of Northwest Ohio", by Nevin Otto Winter, Lewis Publishing Co, 1917 transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]
Oliver W. Hoerath
OLIVER W. HOERATH, former mayor of the village of New Knoxville, former clerk of the village, former president of the local board of education there, chairman of the board of directors of the Home Benefits Association at that place, formerly and for years a teacher in the schools of this county and present secretary and treasurer of the Detjen Grain Company of New Knoxville and Moulton, was born at New Knoxville and has resided there practically all his life. Mr. Hoerath was born on October 23, 1881, and is a son of John and Fredericka (Schneider) Hoerath, both of whom also were born in this county, members of pioneer families here, the former born at St. Marys and the latter in German township. John Hoerath grew to manhood at St. Marys, where he received his schooling, and as a young man went to Cincinnati, where he learned the trade of harness making. Upon finishing his trade he returned to this county and opened a harness shop at New Knoxville, where he continued in business for about forty years. He was twice married and by his first wife (Fredericka Schneider) was the father of two sons, the subject of this sketch and Arthur J. Hoerath. Upon the death of the mother of these sons, Mr. Hoerath married Fredericka Schroer, a member of one of the old families of Washington township, and to this union two sons were born, Julius and Walter Hoerath. Reared at New Knoxville, where he was born, Oliver W. Hoerath received his early schooling in the schools of that village and then entered the St. Marys high school. Upon finishing the high school course he secured a license to teach school, and in the following winter taught a district school in St. Marys township. In the next year he began teaching in the schools of Washington township, and was thus engaged during the winters for six years, at the end of which time he was appointed to the schools of New Knoxville, and for seven years was a teacher in the village schools, at the same time and meanwhile becoming active in the general affairs of that village. In 1912 Mr. Hoerath left the school room to give his attention to the affairs of the Detjen Grain Company of New Knoxville and Moulton, of which concern he was elected secretary and treasurer, and has since devoted his chief attention to the operations of that company, which not only maintains grain elevators at New Knoxville and Moulton, with its rail outlet at the latter place, but also is extensively engaged in the sale of coal, lumber and builders' supplies and farm implements, with sales establishments in both villages. Mr. Hoerath has long been looked upon as one of the "live wires" in the business life of his home town. He was one of the organizers of the Home Benefits Association of that place and is the present chairman of the board of directors of the same. He is a Democrat and has long taken an active interest in local civic affairs, having at various times rendered public service as mayor of New Knoxville (two terms), two terms as clerk of the village, and four years as president of the local board of education. Oliver W. Hoerath married Ida Headapohl, daughter of Catherine Headapohl, and also a member of one of the old families in this county, and to this union one child has been born, a daughter, Kathryn. Mr. and Mrs. Hoerath are members of the First Reformed church of New Knoxville, of which congregation Mr. Hoerath is one of the deacons, and of which he also for the past five years and more has been serving as clerk, or secretary of the church. The Hoeraths have a pleasant home at New Knoxville and have ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social activities of that community. [Source: pg. 374-5 "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
Herman H. Hoge
HERMAN H. HOGE, a well known mill and lumberman of New Knoxville, a former member of the village council and for years recognized as one of the real "live wires" of that flourishing community, is a native son of Auglaize county, a member of one of the pioneer families here, and has resided here all his life, active in business and industrial affairs since the days of his young manhood. Mr. Hoge was born on a farm about two miles east of New Knoxville on September 7,1869, and is a son of Henry and Henrietta (Wellemeyer) Hoge, who had come to this region with their respective parents from Germany in the days of their youth and were here married. The late Henry Hoge, for many years one of the well known residents of Washington township, was a well grown lad when he came here with his parents back in pioneer days and he worked here as a farm hand until after his marriage, when he bought a farm of fifty-five acres in the woods west of the creek in the southeast quarter of section 21 of Washington township and started in to clear that place and make a farm out of it. He later added to his holdings until he had a well improved farm of seventy-five acres and on that place spent his last days, his death occurring on August 13, 1921, he then being three days past eighty-eight years of age. To him and his wife were born eight children, four of whom are still living, the subject of this sketch having a sister, Anna, and two brothers, Louis and Ernst. Reared on the home farm in Washington township, Herman H. Hoge received his schooling in the local schools and as a young man took up the carpenter trade and became a proficient builder. For twelve years Mr. Hoge was thus engaged and during the latter three years of this period had a building crew of his own, becoming a well recognized contractor in that neighborhood, having established his home at New Knoxville after his marriage when twenty-three years of age. He then, in 1904, bought the plant of the New Knoxville Hoop Company, converted the same into a saw mill and started on his career as a general lumberman. This old plant occupied the site now covered by the plant of the Auglaize Tile Company and he continued in business at that point for some years, or until he bought the tract of land on which his present modern and extensive lumber mill and yards are now located, erected there a new and up-to-date plant and has since been engaged in business at that point, and has done well. Mr. Hoge carries on a general lumber milling business, with particular reference to the demand for timber for heavy construction work, bridge timbers, railroad ties and the like, but also does an extensive business in building lumber, crating lumber and similar lighter forms, as well as such custom sawing as is called for in the neighborhood. In connection with this enterprise he also has a well stocked general lumber yard and carries with this a full stock of general building material, thus being in a position to meet all local demands along that line. Mr. Hoge has long been an active factor in the general development of his home town and has rendered considerable public-spirited service in the community. He is a Republican, served for some time as a member of the village council and also served for five years as a member of the village school board. It was on March 9, 1893, that Herman H. Hoge was united in marriage to Mary Oelrich, who was born on May 24,1871, daughter of Henry and Mary (Peterjohann) Oelrich, and who also is a member of one of the pioneer families of Washington township, and to this union have been born fourteen children, all of whom are living save three (Oscar, Albert and William, who died in childhood), the others being Laura, Arthur, Gustave, Rebecca, Marcella, Bertha, Esther, Joel, Olga, Ella and Oliver. The Hoges have a very pleasant home at New Knoxville. Mr. and Mrs. Hoge are members of the First Reformed church and have long taken an interested part in the general activities of that flourishing congregation, Mr. Hoge having served for nine years as a member of the board of trustees of the church and also for some time as a director of the church. [Source: pg. 632-3, "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
Julius W. Luedeke
Julius W. LUEDEKE a well known farmer and stockman of St. Marys township, proprietor of a farm on rural mail route No. 1 out of St. Marys was born on a farm in Van Buren township in the neighboring county of Shelby, January 8, 1886, and is the son of August and Anna (Kawel) Luedeke, both of whom also were born in Ohio, the former in Auglaize county and the latter in Mercer county. The late August Luedeke was reared in Auglaize county and was married in Mercer county. Following his marriage he established his home on a farm in Van Buren township in Shelby county and there spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1904. To him and his wife were born five children, all of whom are still living, the subject of this sketch having three sisters, Alice, Laura and Mahalia, and a brother Frank Luedeke. Reared on the home farm in Shelby county, Julius W. Luedeke received his schooling in the neighborhood schools. He married at the age of twenty-three years and after his marriage was engaged in farming as a tenant farmer for about six years, at the end of which time he bought the interests of the other heirs in the home place of seventy-five acres in Shelby county and was there engaged in farming until in Feburary, 1920, when he moved onto the farm of 135 acres in St. Marys township, this county, which he had bought the year before (in August 1919), and has since made his home there. Not long after buying his present farm he sold his Shelby county farm and has since given his whole attention to his farm in this county. He makes a specialty of raising pure bred Duroc Jersey hogs. Mr. Ludeke and his wife are members of St. Paul's Reformed church at St. Marys and are Democrats. It was on August 25, 1909, that Mr. Ludeke was united in marriage to Amanda Bloomhorst, of Shelby county, and to this union have been born five children, Arnold, Lester, Elmer, Andrew and Henriette. Mrs. Luedeke was born in Van Buren township, Shelby county, and is the daughter of William and Henriette (Hirschfeld) Bloomhorst. [Source: p. 662, "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923]
Daniel Landon Richardson
Daniel Landon Richardson, a son of William Richardson whose biography appears in this work, was one of the oldest residents of Auglaize County, and one of the largest property owners in Logan township, where he lived for many years before moving to Wapakoneta.
He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, August 17,1816.
He married Miss Agnes Francis in 1835, and commenced housekeeping in Franklin County, Ohio where he resided for eleven years.
In 1846 he moved to Logan township, where he purchased a large tract of land on the Auglaize river and developed a farm. Here he resided until 1875,when he moved to Wapakoneta.
In 1844 he entered the ministry of the Christian Church, and traveled for years on horseback through the wilds of this section of the State, preaching to the people whenever he could get them together, in the woods or in their cabins, there being no churches in those days.
Elder Richardson died March 15,1891, and was buried in Greenlawn Cemetery. A handsome monument, erected by himself, marks his resting place. [Source: Page 638 "History Of Western Ohio by C.W.Williams; pub. 1903] - Submitted by Ralph Richardson]
Notes: Daniel is listed in the 1880 Atlas of Auglaize County as being a member of the public school board formed in June 1880,Page 25,96 & 97 for sections 2-34-35.125 in Wapakoneta. Marriage is recorded in the Franklin County Courthouse, Book 3,Page 130, by John D. Acton, Justice Of Peace.
Rudolph A. Rulmann, M. D.
DR. RUDOLPH A. RULMANN, former president of the Auglaize County Medical Society, former president of the local school board at Minster, a former member of the town council and in other ways active and helpful in public service there, a practicing physician of more than forty years standing in that community, and thus one of the best known physicians in this section of northwestern Ohio, is a European by birth, but has been a resident of this country since the days of his boyhood, and is thus as much an American at heart as though "native and to the manner born." Doctor Rulmann was born in the former Kingdom of Westphalia, now a province of Prussia, lying between Holland, Hanover, Brunswick, Hesse-Nassau and the Rhine Province, January 19, 1860, and is a son of Herman B. and Augusta (Mueller) Rulmann, also Westphalians, of pure German descent, whose last days were spent in this country, of which they became residents in the '60s of the past century. The late Herman B. Rulmann, formerly and for years a well-known miller at Minster, was trained as a miller in his home country and after his marriage there became established in the milling business. He continued thus engaged in Westphalia until in 1865, when he became attracted to the opportunities then awaiting newcomers on the other side of the Atlantic and came to the United States with a view to establishing himself in the milling business in this country. Leaving his family behind, pending the result of his prospecting trip, he spent some time looking around in the vicinity of Cincinnati and presently found the site he was looking for at Reading, about ten miles north of Cincinnati, in Hamilton county, this state. Then he sent for his family, and in 1869 his wife and son came over, arriving at the port of Baltimore on July 4 of that year. Doctor Rulmann was then but a lad, less than ten years of age, and his first sight of the city of Baltimore, decked out with the colors appropriate to the observance of the national holiday, and the enthusiasm of the people in their celebration of America's natal day, created an impression upon his youthful mind which never has been effaced. From that moment he was an American, eager and willing to cast in his lot with that of the people whose country his parents had gladly adopted for their new home. The Rulmann family remained in Hamilton county for two or three years and then moved over into the neighboring county of Franklin, in Indiana, and settled at Oldenburg, in that county, where Herman B. Rulmann became engaged in the milling business, and where his wife died in 1875. He presently married Mary Hackman, and in 1888 moved from Indiana back into Ohio and located at Minster, where in the meanwhile his son, the Doctor, had become engaged in practice, there became engaged in the milling business, head of the Rulmann Milling Company, and so continued the remainder of his life, his death occurring at Minster on January 9, 1906. Doctor Rulmann, as noted above, was nine years of age when he came to America, was about twelve when the family moved to Oldenburg, Ind., and was fifteen years of age when his mother died. He completed the course in the local schools at Oldenburg, and in 1874, at the age of fourteen, was placed in St. Francis College, where he spent two years, at the end of which time, in 1876, he began reading medicine under the preceptorship of Doctor Averdick at Oldenburg. In the fall of the following year (1877) he matriculated at the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, and on March 1, 1881, was graduated from that institution. During the course of his medical studies Doctor Rulmann had been casting about for a location when he should be equipped for practice and he had decided upon Minster as a likely place for a young physician. He lost little time in getting located after he had received his diploma, and on April 22 following his graduation opened his office at Minster, where he ever since has been engaged in practice. Recognizing upon his arrival there the need of a first-class drug store in the town, Doctor Rulmann opened a drug store in the same year in which he became engaged in practice. After his father became engaged in the milling business at Minster he became secretary and treasurer of the Rulmann Milling Company and was for years thus engaged, in addition to his other interests. Twenty years and more ago Doctor Rulmann was appointed health officer for that community, and in that capacity, in which he served for years, did much to bring about proper standards of sanitation and hygiene. He also has rendered efficient public service in other ways, for six years was president of the local school board, served for some time as a member of the town council, and has for years been looked upon as one of the leaders of the Democratic party in that part of the county. The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, of the Ohio State Medical Society and of the Auglaize County Medical Society, of which latter body he served as president for two years, and has ever taken an active interest in the deliberations of these bodies. He and his wife are members of St. Augustine's Catholic church at Minster and have ever taken a proper interest in parish affairs, the Doctor being a member of the St. Boniface Benevolent Society, the society for the amelioration of the condition of orphans, and similar organizations of the parish. He is a member of the local aerie of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Dr. R. A. Rulmann has been twice married. In 1881, the year in which he became engaged in practice at Minster, he was united in marriage to Isabel Schmieder, daughter of Dr. John P. Schmieder, of Minster, for years one of the leading citizens of this county, who had located at Minster in 1846, had served as mayor of that town and in other ways had been influential in directing the affairs of the community, and who died in 1887 while serving his second term as state senator from this district. To that union were born two sons, Albert H. and John P., the latter of whom died in his youth. Albert P. Rulmann, who is living at Flint, Mich., married Eleanor Goeke and has one child, a son, Leroy. Mrs. Isabel Rulmann died on February 19, 1886, and in 1888 Doctor Rulmann married Josephine M. Vogelsang, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth Vogelsang, of Minster. To this union four sons have been born, Clarence F., Herbert, Oscar and Leroy, all of whom are living save the first named, who died on October 19,1918, thus bringing to an early close what gave promise of being a useful medical career. The late Dr. Clarence F. Rulmann was prepared for medical college under the able preceptorship of his father and was in due time graduated from the medical school of Ohio State University and became engaged in practice, which he followed until his untimely death. He married Elizabeth Hinders, who, with their daughter, Mary Elizabeth, survives. Doctor Rulmann's other sons also are all married. Herbert Rulmann married Luetta Vallo. Oscar Rulmann married Theresa Boerger and has one child, a daughter, Martha, and Leroy Rulmann married Deloris Schulte and has one child, a son, Rudolph A., named in honor of his grandfather, the Doctor.
[Source: pg. 528-530 "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
HERMAN SCHAEFER, a former member of the New Bremen city council, and for years engaged in that city as a building contractor, is a native son of Auglaize county, a member of one of the pioneer families here, and has lived here all his life, a resident of New Bremen for many years past. He was born on a farm in St. Marys township on August 21, 1868, and is a son of Henry and Louise (Brune) Schaefer, both of whom also were born in this county. Henry Schaefer, an honored veteran of the Civil war, who is now living retired on his well-kept farm in St. Marys township, was born in that township, a member of one of the pioneer families in that part of the county, and there grew to manhood. When the Civil war came on he enlisted his services in behalf of the cause of the Union and went to the front as a member of the 37th regiment of Ohio volunteer Infantry, with which command he served from 1862 to the close of the war. During this period of service Mr. Schaefer participated in some of the most important engagements of the war, including the siege of Vicksburg. It was during this siege that he was severely wounded, May 19, 1863, and was for several months thereafter confined to the hospital. Upon the completion of his military service, Henry Schaefer returned home, and after his marriage established his home on a farm in St. Marys township, where he continued thus actively engaged in farming until his retirement some years ago, though he continues to make his home on the farm, where he is very comfortably situated. To him and his wife were born seven children, the subject of this sketch having four sisters, Flora, Emma, Laura and Martha, and two brothers, Edward and Henry Schaefer. Reared on the home farm in St. Marys township, Herman Schaefer received his schooling in the neighborhood schools, and for some time during the days of his young manhood worked with his father on the farm. He then became engaged in carpentering and learned the building trade thoroughly, following that vocation until in 1895, when he became engaged as a cabinet-maker in the Klanke furniture factory at New Bremen. For eight years Mr. Schaefer followed this latter vocation, and then resumed his building operations, starting in as a building contractor on his own account, and has ever since been thus engaged, one of the best known contractors in this part of the state. During this long period of service as a builder, Mr. Schaefer has built houses in all parts of that section of the county, and the substantial character of his work will long stand as a monument to his skill and ability in that line. Mr. Schaefer is a Republican and has for years given his thoughtful attention to local civic affairs, for eight years having served as a member of the town council at New Bremen. Herman Schaefer married Rosa Luebkemann, daughter of Gerhart Luebkemann, of Mercer county, this state, and to this union three children have been born, Leota, Harold and Erna. Mr. and Mrs. Schaefer are members of the St. Paul's Lutheran church, and for some time Mr. Schaefer served as a deacon of that congregation. [p. 155, "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
Joseph E. Schmieder
Joseph E. Schmieder has been an active business man of Minster, Ohio, for nearly thirty years, is a prominent and well known insurance man, not only in this locality, but over the state at large, and is now serving as mayor of Minster. Hardly any other family has been so actively and influentially identified with this community from very early days. Minster was the home of the late Dr. J. P. Schmieder, who in his time was one of Ohio's foremost citizens. Doctor Schmieder, who was born in Germany, where his father died, his mother subsequently coming to this country and passing away at Minster at the age of ninety-two, was liberally educated in Germany, studied medicine there, and on his immigration to America settled first in Tiffin, Ohio, and later in Minster. He was in active practice for many years, and his services were in special demand in the country surrounding Minster. He was almost a pioneer doctor, and had to travel almost night and day through all kinds of weather, over roads that were never good, and carried his skill and patient sympathy to hundreds of families living in the remote rural districts. His services as a physician, valuable as they were, did not constitute the sum of his energies and worth. In 1849 he assisted in organizing the Minster Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and that company is still in existence and has had a most prosperous career of nearly seventy years. For a number of years he served as secretary. He was a member of the Catholic Church, and was a democrat in politics. Doctor Schmieder represented his home district in the State Senate, and was mayor of Minster for over thirty years, and also filled the office of justice of the peace. Governor Bishop appointed him one of the first trustees of the Ohio Mechanical and Agricultural Institute, and in that capacity he founded and inaugurated the development of a school which is now the State University and an object of pride to every Ohio citizen. Doctor Schmieder showed splendid business judgment, was successful financially, and acquired much real estate in his home locality. For sixty years he owned the hotel building known as the Schmieder House. Doctor Schmieder married Josephine Grieshop, who died in 1870. They were the parents of ten children, and the four now living are: George, who is serving as city marshal of Minster; Joseph E.; Pauline, unmarried and living at Toledo; and Robert, a rural mail carrier at Minster. Joseph E. Schmieder attended the public schools of Minster and St. Marys College at Dayton. Ohio. His first occupation was the insurance business, and he has been steadily identified with that line of work. He is now secretary and treasurer of the Minster Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which his father helped to organize many years ago. The business of this company is widely extended, and Mr. Schmieder spends much of his time traveling throughout Ohio. He is also a director in the Minster State Bank and owns considerable property in Minster, including one of the business blocks. In 1892 he married Elizabeth Fredericks, who was born in Minster. She died in 1908, leaving one child, Velma, who is employed in her father's insurance office. In 1912 Mr. Schmieder married Catherine Heimerdinger, a native of Cincinnati. To their marriage were born twins, on October 10,1916, and they are named Audrey and Constance. The family are active members of St. Augustine Catholic Church. Mr. Schmieder is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and politically is a democrat. For four years he represented his home district in the State Legislature, and has now filled the office of mayor of Minster for twelve years. For twenty years he was a justice of the peace. [Source: "A History of Northwest Ohio", by Nevin Otto Winter, Lewis Publishing Co, 1917 transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]
George W. Weadock
George W. Weadock, the first mayor of the consolidated Saginaws, was born in St. Mary's, Auglaize County, Ohio, November 6, 1853. His parents, Lewis and Mary Cullen Weadock, were born, reared and married in Wexford County, Ireland, and emigrated to America in 1849. The father died December 8, 1863, the mother surviving him until October 11, 1876; and both were laid at rest in the cemetery at St. Mary's. Of this union there were born seven sons, three of whom, T. A. E. Weadock, John C. Weadock and George W. Weadock, are lawyers, while the other two surviving sons engaged in farming in Ohio.
The boyhood days of George W. Weadock until his seventeenth year were spent on his father's farm, and he received his primary education in the schools of his native town. He early displayed the qualities of an earnest, painstaking student, and was afterward engaged as teacher, his earnings enabling him to enter college for the study of law, which he had been reading during his leisure hours. Under the tutorship of Colonel S. R. Mott, of St. Mary's, he acquired his first knowledge of Blackstone; and in 1875 entered the University of Michigan where he studied law for one year. He then entered the law office in Bay City of his brother, T. A. E. Weadock, ex-mayor of the city, and later congressman from that district. After passing a satisfactory examination before the Examining Board, which comprised Judge George P. Cobb, Hon. T. F. Shepard and Hon. H. H. Hatch, he was admitted to the bar September 11, 1876, before Judge Sanford M. Green.
In January, 1877, Mr. Weadock came to East Saginaw, and entered the office of Hon. T. E. Tarsney. On August 1st following he formed a partnership with that eminent lawyer, under the name of Tarsney & Weadock, which existed for fourteen years. During the four years that Mr. Tarsney represented the district in Congress, Mr. Weadock conducted the large practice alone; and was admitted to practice in the Federal Courts. On February 13, 1888, on motion of Solicitor-General Jenks, he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States in Washington. When Mr. Tarsney removed to Detroit in 1891, the extensive practice was continued by Mr. Weadock, but in January, 1893, he admitted to partnership Miles J. Purcell, who for several years had been a student in his office. Mr. Weadock has been president of the Bar Association of Saginaw County and of the State Bar Association, and is a member of the American Bar Association.
At no time has Mr. Weadock limited his study to one division of the law, or to a single line of cases, but has engaged in a general practice; and has participated in much of the most important litigation in which the people of his home city have been interested since 1877, in both State and Federal Courts. For several years he has been counsel for the Pere Marquette Railroad, attorney for the Saginaw City Gas Company and allied interests, and other large corporations.
In February, 1890, he was nominated for mayor of the newly consolidated city on the Democratic ticket, was elected on March 8th, and served two terms to the spring of 1892. To adjust the affairs of the two municipalities to the operation and control of one central government was a delicate undertaking, requiring tact and large executive ability, but the business of consolidation was carried to a successful issue. The chief cause of contention was the carrying out of the terms of consolidation in the location of public buildings. In selecting the site for the city hall and in other matters, Mr. Weadock insisted that the terms originally agreed upon should be carried out to the letter, and not evaded as a certain element among the citizens desired.
During his last term as mayor he ordered an investigation into the official conduct of the city clerk, police judge and police court clerk, which resulted in their being removed from office as they were found guilty of malfeasance in office. Mr. Weadock did not hesitate to remove them for corrupt practices, notwithstanding they were all members of his own party. He has never sought political office although repeatedly solicited by his party friends and associates to run for Congress, and other elective offices, but the law has completely satisfied his aspirations. His convictions are strong and he is alert in the assertion and exercise of his political rights; and he is faithful to the duties of good citizenship.
Mr. Weadock was married September 16, 1878, at Saginaw, to Miss Anna E. Tarsney, sister of Hon. T. E. Tarsney, who was born in Hillsdale County, Michigan, December 27, 1856. Nine children brightened and gladdened their home, namely, Lewis T., George Leo, John Vincent, Bernard Francis, Mary Louisa, Joseph Jerome, Catherine Elizabeth, Raymond Isadore, and Philip Sheridan. Mrs. Weadock died March 16, 1893, at the age of thirty-seven years. On April 27th following, the son Raymond died, and on May 13th the daughter Catherine died, both of diphtheria. On April 14, 1896, Mr. Weadock was married to Miss Mary Grace McTavish, of Saginaw. Four children bless this union, Arthur A., Frances M., Edward E. and Robert E. Of his six sons grown to manhood all have chosen the law as their life profession, five have been admitted to the bar and have established successful practice. Mr. Weadock and his family have always been, and are, devout members of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, and are foremost in furthering the good works of the parish. [Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, Vol 2, Publ. 1918. Transcribed by Joan Lottner]
Gustave A. Wintzer.
GUSTAV A. WINTZER, dealer in furs and hides at Wapakoneta, proprietor of an old established business in that line off Blackhoof street along the river, was born at Wapakoneta on August 16, 1862, and is a son of Charles and Catherine (Freyman) Wintzer, the latter of whom was a member of one of the pioneer families of this county. The late Charles Wintzer was an European by birth, born in Prussia, where he remained until he was sixteen years of age, when he came to America, presently coming on out into Ohio and locating at Wapakoneta, where he became employed in the tannery at that place. In time he established a tannery of his own and engaged in the general fur and hide trade, which he kept up until his death in 1916, during the many years of his connection with this business coming to be known as one of the leaders in that line in western Ohio. He and his wife were the parents of three children, the subject of this sketch having two sisters, Caroline and Catherine. Reared at Wapakoneta, where he was born, Gustav A. Wintzer received his schooling in the schools of that city and early became connected with his father's business, learning there not only the details of operation in the tannery but becoming skilled in estimating and judging the value of furs and hides. When the tannery was abandoned he continued to give his attention to the buying and selling of furs and hides and has since remained in that business, which he took over after the death of his father and is recognized as one of the leading hide brokers in this section. Mr. Wintzer is a Democrat, a member of the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and he and his wife are members of St. Paul's Evangelical church. Mr. Wintzer has been twice married. In 1891 he was united in marriage to Emma D. Stone, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, who died in 1905 leaving three children, Ruby, Carl and Norma. In 1906 Mr. Wintzer married Ida Frische, of Wapakoneta, and to this union two children have been born, Mary and Anna. Carl Wintzer married Edith Link and lives at Wapakoneta. The Wintzers have a pleasant home at 605 West Auglaize street. [Source: pg. 111 "HISTORY OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY", vol. 2, William J. McMurray; Indianapolis :: Historical Pub. Co; 1923 - kt - Tr. by FoFG]
Henry Wiedeman is one of the men who have made a splendid success as farmers, business men and citizens in Auglaize County, and is now living retired at New Bremen, with a good home, children who have already taken independent places in the world, and with the honor and respect of his fellow citizens. Mr. Wiedeman was born in New Bremen March 17, 1847, and has spent almost seventy years of his life in that community. His parents were Fred A. and Minnie (Shoemaker) Wiedeman, both of whom were natives of Prussia, Germany. They were married in their native land, came to the United States in 1845. and the mother died in 1849, when her son, Henry, was two years of age. The father was a tailor in Germany, also served the regular term in the German army, and after following his trade for a time in New Bremen bought a small farm and was busied with it and his trade the rest of his life. By his first marriage he had four children, and Henry Wiedeman is the only one now living. Fred Wiedeman married for his second wife Marie Stroh, and of that union there were twelve children, nine now living. The parents were Lutheran Church people, and in politics Fred Wiedeman was a democrat. After a brief education in the public schools of New Bremen Henry Wiedeman found work as a boatman on the canal between Toledo and Cincinnati, and followed that employment for six years. He then worked in the woolen mills at New Bremen for six years, and having been careful and thrifty he was able to make an investment in forty acres of raw land, without any improvements. On that land he started to make a home. He built a house, gradually extended the area of cultivation, and gave the best of his energies and abilities to the management of the farm for thirty-seven years. His property has increased in quantity as well as in value, and he now owns 130 acres of well improved land. He has also a substantial brick home near New Bremen, where he has lived since retiring from the farm in 1907. Mr. Wiedeman was married in 1869 to Miss Catherine Ellerman, who was born on a farm in German Township of Auglaize County. Three children were born to their union. Gustav is now renting his father's farm. Annie is the wife of Fred Schwaberow, in the woolen mills at New Bremen. Emil is a renter on his father's farm with his brother, Gustav. The mother of these children died in 1905, after thirty-six years of married life. In 1907 Mr. Wiedeman married Miss Lena Stroh, who was born in Washington Township of Auglaize County. Mr. and Mrs. Wiedeman are members of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and he has been very prominent in that organization since early manhood. He has served as trustee and president of the church council. Politically a democrat, he has at different times been honored with positions of trust and responsibility. In 1897 he was elected trustee of German Township, and filled the office six consecutive years. Subsequently for four years he was a director of the county infirmary, and in the fall of 1915 was again elected trustee of German Township. He has always been influentially identified with party politics in this section. [Source: "A History of Northwest Ohio", by Nevin Otto Winter, Lewis Publishing Co, 1917 transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails