Auglaize County, Ohio
John Morris was born in Virginia in 1798. He married Mary A. Clarkson in 1832, and came to Allen, now Auglaize, County in 1833. He entered one-quarter section of laud in Union township, one and one-half mile from St. Johns, where he now lives. When he came here there was not an acre of land cleared in the township, except what had been cleared by the Indians. The land having only come into the market the year before. The most of the Indians had been removed, but a part of them were still here. He lived in an Indian cabin until he built one for himself. At that time there was not a road laid out in the township. Where St. Johns is now situated there were about twelve or fifteen acres cleared, which had been done by the Indians. The only persons living there were William and Byrd Richardson and their families. Mr. Morris was the first justice of the peace in the township. He served two terms. The first white child born in the township was John Morris, a son of the above. All of the white settlers that Mr. Morris can remember are William and Byrd Richardson, Charles Lusk, and Bolzill.
Abner Copeland came with his family from Virginia to Union township in the spring of 1836. His oldest son, Joseph, bought a piece of land in Clay Township, but sold this, and bought land in Union township. He has now over nine hundred acres. In 1849 he married Mary Ann English. They have raised five children, of which four still survive. The Copelands came to Union township when it was new and wild and encountered all the difficulties and inconveniences of pioneer life. Their first team was a yoke of bulls, and after the death of one of these the other was worked alone like a horse. Mr. Copeland relates the following incident touching this bovine. One of his neighbors, who then owned the bull, had him bridled and saddled to take a grist to mill. All went pleasantly enough until they met another bull, when both animals evinced such fury that the rider of the one soon saw fit to dismount. This he did and removed his grist,, saddle, and bridle, and permitted the beasts to settle their differences, after which he saddled and bridled his game horse, and proceeded on his way.
Francis M. Bowsher
Francis M. Bowsher was born in Ross County, Ohio, Dec. 15, 1830, and married Miss Elizabeth Straus Feb. 13, 1859. The same year he came to Logan Township and entered his pioneer farm. Mrs. Bowsher died Jan. 13, 1875, leaving a family of eight children, six sons and two daughters. Feb. 6, 1877, Mr. Bowsher married Mrs. Sarah J. Roberts. The children are all living, and named as follows: John A., Mary J., wife of Marion Edman; Thomas E., Amos G., Angeline G., Charles F., Harry D, and Columbus. Mr. Bowsher owns 1660 acres of valuable land, of which 1100 acres are cleared. During the past few years he has devoted his attention largely to sheep, and has at present about 2000 head, being the largest dealer in sheep in the county.
Madison J. Bowsher
Madison J. Bowsher was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1827, and married Maria Luckhart in 1847. About 1849 he moved to Allen County, Ohio, where he remained about thirteen years, when he came to Logan Township, this county, and settled on 213 acres of timber land, where he built a cabin and commenced clearing the land. He has now 364 acres, of which about 200 are cleared. He has raised a family of six children, named John G., Catharine M., Nelson L., Jacob F., Sarah A., and Albert G.; while Mary J., Rachel R., Amos L., and Franklin H. have been removed by death. Mr. Bowsher was one of the pioneers of this section, and has contributed his full share to the development of the township.
Henry Daniels was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, April 4, 1820. His parents moved to Carroll County, when he was twelve years old, and when thirty five he came to this county. He commenced teaching in 1838, and continued in this profession until 1878. While in Carroll County he located at Malvern and engaged in mercantile pursuits during a period of ten years. Since coming to this county he has been engaged at farming and teaching. July 9, 1841, he married Margaret J. Long, of Carroll County, Ohio. He is now living upon his old farm in Logan Township, having retired from active labor.
John H. Gochenour
John H. Gochenour was born in Shenandoah Co., Va., in 1835, and moved to Champaign County, Ohio, in 1849, where he resided nine years. In 1858 he married Sarah C. Weaver, and the same year moved to Logan Township, this county, and settled on seventy five acres of land, largely under heavy timber. At that period log rolling and cabin raising was largely the "order of the day" in this section. The family consisted of four children, of whom two, Alverata A. and Gennetta A. are still living; the deceased being named Cora A. and Laura E. Mr. Gochenour has at this writing 330 acres of valuable land adjoining the village of Buckland. He has served as clerk and appraiser in his township a number of terms, and still retains the respect of the community.
SALEM TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL.
Austin Barber was born in Mercer County, Ohio, in 1833; married Miss E. L. Hamilton in 1854, and moved to Salem Township, this county, May, 1863. Here he settled on sec. 32d, and with but 40 acres of cleared land, commenced the improvement of his whole farm until now 180 of his 320 acres are cleared and tillable. Being one of the most enterprising citizens, he has contributed largely to the improvement of the township.
Robt. H. Dunathan
Robt. H. Dunathan came from Franklin County, Pa., in 1833, and settled near Dayton, Ohio, but afterwards moved to Sidney, Ohio, and finally to Mercer County in 1840. J. H. Dunathan, a son of the above, was born in Sidney, Ohio, March 18, 1836. In 1840 his parents moved to Mercer County, and settled in Union Township. Here he lived until his 21st year. He commenced teaching school when eighteen years of age, and continued in this profession about fifteen years. In 1861 he came to Auglaize County, purchased a farm and settled in Salem Township. Here he labored on the farm during the summer, and taught during the winter for several years. The year of his settlement here he was elected township trustee, which office he held three years, when in 1864 he was elected justice of the peace, serving in this capacity about twelve years. In 1816 he was elected county commissioner, and is now serving his second term. In Sept. 1813, he moved to Deep Cut, where he entered the grain and merchandise business, at the same time dealing in all kinds of timber and produce. He has here a large warehouse, on the canal banks, with a storage capacity of over 20,000 bushels, while he handles about 50,000 bushels of grain annually. He married Miss Mary Upton, Oct. 13, 1858, and has reared a family of nine children, seven of whom are still living. Mr. Dunathan is one of the most influential citizens of the county, who by his ability and enterprise is deserving the thanks of the whole county for the interest he takes in its advancement. That this is understood is attested by the offices of trust conferred upon him.
Philip Lawrence was born in Beaver County, Pa., July 7, 1816. When he was four years of age his parents moved to Wayne County, Ohio. In 1843 he came to Salem Township, and settled in his present home place. March 20, 1839, he married Miss Kennedy, and has reared a family of eight children, of whom seven survived to manhood and womanhood, and four are still living. Mr. Lawrence held the office of township trustee about ten years during and after the war. He ranks amoung the pioneers of his township, as the whole section was wild at the period of his settlement, and but few neighbors within many miles of his farm.
NOBLE TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL.
Nicholas Brewer was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1812. In 1830 he married Sarah Noble, and four years later came to this township, and entered 80 acres of land, and moved his family here in 1836. His neighbors were Solomon Denny, Israel Johns, David Woodruff; in Valentine, David Ross, James and John Vanmeyce, and Jesse Daniels. Mr. Brewer voted the fall he came here, and has never missed an election since. He has held township or county offices for a period of thirty five years, having been county commissioner for six years. His family consisted of five sons and five daughters, of whom one son and one daughter are deceased. Mrs. Brewer died in January, 1870. When Mr. Brewer came to the township it was a wilderness, and his own farm was an unbroken forest. It was so wild when he brought his family that he was compelled to get a man to accompany him from St. Marys, who by the use of an axe was able to reach and open a way to the farm. Since then a comfortable home has been secured, and land enough acquired to give each child 80 acres. Although well advanced in years and retired from active work, he still superintends his farm, and enjoys the respect of all his neighbors.
Israel Johns was born in Kentucky, in 1803, and came to this county in 1828. His family then consisted of his wife and three children. They settled in what is now Noble Township, then Wayne Township, Mercer County. He reared a family of ten children, of whom four are still living. Mr. Johns was one of the exemplary pioneers of this section. While he was actively engaged in improving and cultivating his land he yet found time for works of charity. He became a minister of the gospel, and one year he filled four appointments, for which his compensation was three white handkerchiefs. He was a wheelwright by trade, but could work at any of the mechanical arts. He made shoes, built wagons, and did smithing for his neighbors. Of his children, Mrs. A. B. Covert, William Johns, Esq., Azariah Johns, and Sarah J. McDonald are still living.
Elisha Noble (for whom the township was named) was born in 1782, and came here in 1836. He served as commissioner of Mercer County before the erection of Auglaize County. It is said that the pay he received as commissioner was scarcely sufficient to pay his land tax. He was also a commissioner of Auglaize County. His death occurred in 1864, while his wife died the previous year.
There had been some improvement made by the Indians along the Auglaize River, the east half of the township being part of the Shawnee Reservation. The first white settlements date from 1832 and 1833, and among these settlers we find Jos. Haskill, Jos Bonson, William Julian, father of George Julian, now the oldest settler in the township, Daniel Cutler, Benjamin Nagle, William Crowder (Col.), John Waite, Thos. Williams, John C. Freyman, Christopher Baily, Abner Daniels, and Thomas Jones. From 1837 to 1840 were Cornelius Christy, Henry McConnell, Samuel Walker, John McFarland, and John C. Bothe.
MOULTON TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL.
James E. McFarland
James E. McFarland was born in Pennsylvania in 1814, and moved to Logan County, Ohio, in 1835. Five years later he came to this county, and settled in Moulton township on the St. Marys Plank Road, three and a half miles west of Wapakoneta. He married Nancy Lawhead. They reared two children, one of whom was W. E. McFarland, who died in 1819. After his wife's death he married Rosanna Walker. They reared four children, viz., John I., S. Walker, Frank J., and Mary. The mother died in August, 1854. He afterwards married Susan Ward, with whom he reared two children, Mollie and Celia. Upon the death of this third wife he married Catharine Whetstone, who still survives. When Mr. McFarland came to the county he secured one hundred and sixty acres of land, of which he still owns a portion. Soon after his settlement here he had acquired that respect which elevated him to the office of justice of the peace in 1844, which office he held about thirty-one years; twenty-six years of this time he held the office of township treasurer. He was one of a family of six children, and was the third of these to pass away; his next younger brother, Bishop McFarland, of Providence, R. I., being the first, and Dr. McFarland, of Cleveland, who died about 1874. Mr. McFarland died July 21, 1875. There are still living W. H. McFarland, of Edina, Mo., J. L. Mc-Farland, present auditor of Auglaize County, and Dr. J. A. Mc-Farland, of Tiffin, Ohio. The family was well educated, and highly qualified for the professions or positions of trust which the different members assumed.
John Glynn was born in Galway County, Ireland, on the fifteenth of August, 1820. He emigrated to this country Aug. 28, 1851, and settled in Columbus, Ohio, where he stayed until he moved to Auglaize County on the fifteenth of May, 1857, to the farm on which he now resides. The Lake Erie and Western Railroad passes through his farm. He laid out a town, which was named Glynwood in honor of him by Samuel Craig.
John Musser, Sr.
John Musser, Sr., was born in Elizabethtown, Pa., Oct. 16, 1799, where he lived until his maturity. In 1826 he was united in marriage with Miss Rachel McCollum, the result of their marriage being ten children, of which four girls and two boys are yet living. Passing over the years they resided in Fairfield County, Ohio, where a number of their children were born some died and others married. We note that in 1852 Father Musser and family came to Auglaize County, his present home, which was then almost an unbroken forest. With their united efforts, struggles, and sacrifices, common to the early settler, the forests were felled, fields enclosed, bearing rich cereals, orchards of golden fruit sprung up, in short, all the comforts of life were soon secured to them.
James L. Cook
James L. Cook was born in Delaware County, Ohio. He settled in Moulton township, this county, in 1850. There were but few settlers at that time; much of the land was still owned by the government.
John Cogan was born in Sligo County, Ireland. He emigrated to this country in 1847, and settled in this county in Feb. 1851, in Moulton Township on the farm on which he now lives.
Thomas and Patrick Cogan
Thomas and Patrick Cogan were born in Sligo County, Ireland. They came to America in 1847, and to Moulton Township, this county and State, in 1850. They entered land in this township among the settlers of this county.
Thomas Schoonover was born in Tioga County, N. Y., in 1827, and came to this county in 1836. He followed blacksmithing a number of years in St. Marys, and afterwards moved on his farm in Moulton Township, where he now lives.
Richard McGuff was born in Galway County, Ireland. He emigrated to the State in 1847, and moved to Moulton Township, Auglaize County, in 1862, where he still lives.
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails