GAMBERT, John M. : John M. Gambert, of Berlin, is a grandson of John Gumbert, a native of Germany, who emigrated to the United States, accompanied by his family and his brother Jacob. They landed in New York, July 31, 1836, and finally settled in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, where Jacob remained, but John Gumbert, at the end of nine years, removed to Carroll county, Ohio.
Peter Gumbert, son of John Gumbert, was born in 1827 in Germany and was eighteen when the family moved to Ohio. For many years he farmed with his father on shares and then bought a farm, the purchase resulting in a change of the orthography of the family name. On receiving a deed for the land he took it to the court house for the purpose of having it recorded, but the recorder of deeds refused to enter it under the German spelling, and declared that it must be Anglicized and spelled Gambert. Peter objected, but the recorder insisted, and the deed was so recorded. The change was legalized by three judges sitting as a court, and ever after that branch of the family were Gamberts. After buying the farm Mr. Gambert engaged in stock dealing and raising. He was a large stock drover, driving his flocks each year over the mountains from Ohio to Philadelphia and New Jersey. This business he carried on for ten years, becoming very prosperous. He then abandoned this line of i!
industry and settled down to general farming, wool growing and stock raising, following these callings during the remainder of his life. He became a very prominent man in his neighborhood, and in his later years settled many estates and filled offices of honor and trust. He was a Republican and a member of the Lutheran church.
Mr. Gambert married Margaret Abrams, of Carroll county, Ohio, and their children were: George A., deceased; Catharine, widow of Eli Roudebush, living in Carroll county, has four children, Laura, Edgar, Margaret and Eva, all living in Ohio; John M., see forward; Emma, wife of Isaac Eulman, living on the homestead in Carroll county. Mrs. Gambert died in 1897 at the age of seventy, and the death of Mr. Gambert occurred in 1902.
John M. Gambert, son of Peter and Margaret (Abrams) Gambert, was born January 12, 1853, in Ohio, and received his education in the public schools. He worked on the farm with his father until of age, when he became a partner in the farming and stock droving business. For eleven years he carried on the lumber and hay business for himself, and for two years dealt in hay only, buying, baling and shipping. In 1886 he came to Somerset county and bought a tract of two hundred and eighty acres in Jenner township, which he has since sold. A little later he purchased his present farm, near Pine Hill, where he has since resided. This property consists of two hundred and fifteen acres, with good and substantial improvements. There is a sugar camp of five hundred vessels and there are also valuable orchards of apples and peaches. The place is well stocked and the land is under laid by coal. In addition to his farming operations, Mr. Gambert does a large stock business, buying, feeding and selling cattle and sheep, and also deals in horses. Over and above his farm he owns other real estate, including a farm of one hundred acres in Carroll county, Ohio, fifty-two acres near the Fritz church, forty-five acres near Wills church, one-half interest in thirty acres, and one hundred acres of timber land in Gilmore county, West Virginia.
He assisted in the formation of the First National Bank of Berlin and has ever since been one of the directors. He is also interested financially in the "Berlin Gleaner," the Meyersdale Fair and Stock Association, the Economy Telephone Company of Meyersdale and the First National Bank of Carrollton, Ohio. He is a member of the Lutheran church of Pine Hill, which he has served as trustee for many years. He belonged to the committee appointed to superintend the building of the church recently erected, and was active in raising funds for that purpose.
Mr. Gambert married, October, 1887, in Ohio, Ellen Coleman, of Pennsylvania, born in 1855, and a member of the Lutheran church. They have no children. Mrs. Gambert is a daughter of William and Matilda Coleman, the former a farmer of Brothers Valley township. Mr. Coleman died in 1885, aged sixty years, and his widow, who is now seventy years old and in good health, makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Gambert. ["History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania" Bedford County by E. Howard Blackburn; Somerset County by William H. Welfley; v.3, Pub. The Lewis Publishing Company, New York/Chicago 1906, pg. 426/7]
GARBER, J.W. -- secretary and treasurer of the Enameled Steel Tile Company, of Bellaire, Ohio, has long been known in Belmont County for his efficient service in connection with railroad work. He was born and reared at Cambridge, Ohio, and his first work was done in the transportation and traffic departments of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1886 he moved to Bellaire and accepted the position of night clerk, his close attention to business and his reliability promoting him rapidly through all the desks to that of chief clerk, cashier and agent.
In 1899 Mr. Garber was called to Martin's Ferry with the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railway, and he built up business at that point in the same capable manner that had made his work so satisfactory previously. When this road was consolidated with the Baltimore & Ohio our subject was proffered a responsible position at Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on the main line, but he declined and severed his relations on account of his pleasant home and many friends being in Bellaire. The enterprise with which Mr. Garber is so prominently associated is a comparatively new one in Bellaire, organized in June, 1902, by J.W. Garber, James F. DuBois, William H. Landkrohn, W.S. Heatherington and James F. Anderson, incorporators. The officers of the company are men of standing and worth in the community, namely: James F. DuBois, president; E.J.A. Drennen, of Martin's Ferry, vice-president; J.W. Garber, secretary and treasurer; William H. Landkrohn, manager of the factory and the practical man of the plant. This business will be conducted for the manufacture of enameled steel tile, to take the place of the ordinary clay tile now in general use, and the number of beautiful designs thus made possible is almost unlimited. This is to be used for ceilings, wainscoting, hearths, mantels, etc. The ceiling tile will be manufactured 16 inches square and the manner of fastening together has been patented, and a wide business field is open in this line alone. It is claimed for this tile that it is non-crazing, fully as serviceable as the old tile and accepts a much more beautiful finish. The substantial building located between 27th and 28th and Water streets, known as the "old tobacco warehouse," has been purchased by the company and fitted with appropriate machinery, and work will probably be commenced in the fall of 1902. Many orders have already been received for their product. Mr. Garber was one of the promoters of this company, and the enterprise bids fair to become one of Bellaire's successful industries. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GASTON, HON. ISAAC H. ex-judge of the Probate Court of Belmont County, Ohio, is not only a distinguished member of the bar, but also a leading and public-spirited citizen of St. Clairsville, Ohio, where his home is the center of a pleasant social and professional circle.
The Gaston family is a long established one in Belmont County, where it located as early as 1800. Dr. Alexander Gaston, the great-grandfather of Judge Gaston, and a native of Pennsylvania, came at that time to a farm situated in the vicinity of St. Clairsville, and died in 1825 at Morristown, Ohio. His son, Dr. Ephraim Gaston, was for the 40 years succeeding 1828 one of the most distinguished physicians of Belmont County. The parents of Judge Gaston were Samuel W. and Margaret F. (Hazlett) Gaston. Samuel W. Gaston was born in Morristown, in 1831. At an early age he engaged in teaching and also in the study of the law. In 1855 he located in St. Clairsville for practice. In 1856, he was elected clerk of the county courts, became well known in political life, and died in 1862. He married Margaret F. Hazlett, of Morristown, in 1857.
The birth of Judge Isaac H. Gaston took place July 6, 1858, in St. Clairsville. He attended the schools of Morristown, entered Washington and Jefferson College in 1876, and was graduated in the class of 1879. Soon afterward he began to study in the law office of the late Hon. L. Danford, and was admitted to the bar in 1882. His ability and thorough and complete knowledge of law made his election as judge of the Probate Court, in 1884, a very satisfactory selection to all parties, and his administration of the office was such as to insure a re-election in 1887. Since his retirement from the bench, Judge Gaston has given his attention to the practice of his profession in St. Clairsville and the vicinity, where he is widely and favorably known. The Judge is in active affiliation with the Republican party, of which he is considered a useful and influential member. The subject of this sketch is a member of the Masonic order, having been made a Mason in Ionic Lodge, No. 438, F. & A.M. He is also a member of St. Clairsville Chapter, No. 17, R.A.M.; Belmont Council, No. 54, R. & S.M.; Hope Commandery, No. 26, K.T.; Syrian Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.; and Ohio Consistory, S.P.R.S. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIBBONS, JOSEPH, one of the oldest and most esteemed citizens of Belmont County, whose years but illustrate his wonderful vitality, resides on his fine farm in Warren township, near Barnesville, and is the center of a devoted family circle.
Few venerable citizens remain whose births antedate the War of 1812, but Mr. Gibbons is one of these, his birth taking place on September 27, 1811, when the chief magistrate of this great country was James Madison. He has seen generations come and go, and still retains his active interest in general affairs and bears his 91 years with the ease of a man in middle age. His parents were Homer and Martha (South) Gibbons, natives of Virginia and New Jersey, respectively, the former of whom left his native State in early life and settled in Jefferson County, Ohio. His wife came to this State in 1800, and her parents also settled in Jefferson County. They became the parents of these children: John, Mary, Homer, Enoch, Jesse, James and Sarah, deceased, while the living ones are: Joseph, Robert, Samuel B., William and Borden.
Joseph Gibbons was born in Belmont County, on his father's farm, where he spent his early days, and attended the district schools in his locality. He grew to manhood engaged in agricultural pursuits, and, having been industrious and provident, had accumulated a considerable sum of money by the time he was ready to establish a home of his own. In 1836 he was united in marriage with Penina Williams, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Arnold) Williams, who were natives of South Carolina, settling in Ohio about 1800. Mrs. Gibbons was born in 1817 and after a life of 71 years, filled with good deeds and kind acts, she passed out of life on January 16, 1888. The children born to this happy marriage were the following: Elam, born October 23, 1838; Eli W., born June 27, 1840; Edmund, born July 28, 1842; Samuel and Homer, twins, born in 1844; Sarah, born June 13, 1845, died July 10, 1846; James S. and Mary H., twins, born March 19, 1847; Joseph B., born February 6, 1850; Anna and Martha, twins, born June 26, 1852; Elizabeth, born September 11, 1854; Lavina H., born August 25, 1860; and Edward V., born April 15, 1862.
Mr. Gibbons for some years has lived free from all business care, although quite capable of actively managing his former interests. Through life he has been an enterprising man and at all times has testified his willingness to assist in the developing of his county. His estimable character and long and useful life have attached many friends to him, who take pride in his vigor, in spite of his advanced age. They hope he may be spared yet many years to show the results of a life which has been devoted to the honest accumulation of means and to the welfare of his family and neighborhood. Mr. Gibbons is a member of the Society of Friends. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFIN, HUGH. There resides in a pleasant home on one of the fertile and well-improved farms of Pultney township, Belmont County, an esteemed citizen in the person of Hugh Giffin, who is a representative of a family which was established 116 years ago in the vicinity of Wheeling, (West) Virginia. Its founders came as pioneers from Scotland, bringing with them the robust health and thrifty habits of that land, and not only increased in numbers, but prospered in worldly affairs in proportion.
The birth of Hugh Giffin occurred on October 19, 1834, at High Ridge, Pease township, and he was a son of Robert and Sarah (Hinkle) Giffin, both of whom were natives of Belmont County, Ohio, the former of Pease township and the latter of Pultney township. The mother was a daughter of Christopher Hinkle, who was a soldier in the War of 1812 from Ohio, in which State he located, coming from Pennsylvania prior to 1800. His death took place about 1860, his life having been devoted to farming and milling. Mrs. Giffin was born September 21, 1807, and died in 1894. Robert Giffin, the father of Hugh, was born in 1804, and his father was a native of Roney's Point, Virginia. After marriage Robert Giffin first settled in Pultney and later lived in Pease township, but in the spring of 1851 they moved to a farm located on Moss Run, near McMechen's Creek, where they resided until death. Mr. Giffin died in 1868. The children born to Robert Giffin and wife were the following: George, who resides in Bridgeport; Mrs. Sarah Donley, who resides near Quincy, in Pultney township, on McMechen's Creek; Christopher, who is a farmer and truck gardener, who resides near Garfield school house, in Pease township; Daniel, who died in 1855 in the West; Hugh, of this sketch; Robert, who is a brickmason of Bridgeport, Ohio; William, who is a farmer of Moss Run, in Pultney township; Rebecca, who is the wife of William Church, of Bridgeport; John, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work; Mary Jane, who is the wife of Gilbert Neelon; Susan, who married V. McFarland, moved to Oregon about 1872 and died there in 1888, and James A., who is a truck farmer of Pultney township, on Moss Run. The first born was Mary, who lived to be but two years old.
Hugh Giffin attended the district schools in his boyhood, and was early taught the duties pertaining to life on a farm. Until 1877 he resided on High Ridge, but then purchased and located on his present farm, in section 31, Pultney township, a property which was formerly known as the James Tarbet farm. Here Mr. Giffin has successfully carried on general farming and dairying for 23 years, becoming in the meantime one of the most highly respected as well as most substantial men of his township. He was reared in the Democratic faith and is still identified with that party. For generations the Giffins have been pillars of Presbyterianism, and for the past 36 years our subject has been a trustee of the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church. His grandfathers were the organizers and the first elders of the old High Ridge Church.
In 1858 Mr. Giffin was united in marriage with Isabelle McAllister, who was born in Pultney township and was a daughter of John and Elizabeth McAllister. This marriage has resulted in the birth of nine children, who, with their children, make up one of the happiest family circles in Pultney township. The youngest child has reached the age of 32 years, and the grandchildren number 28, and with Mr. and Mrs. Giffin as the center, make up one of the most vigorous and intelligent aggregations of kindred in this part of the county. Our subject and estimable wife had the pleasure of seeing them all gathered together around the home board on a recent occasion, when it was decided and later carried out to have the family group photographed at Bellaire.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Giffin are the following: Sarah A. married John Finney, son of James Finney, and they reside near St. Clairsville; John Wallace has a fine home near his parents and carries on a dairy business, and is the father of these children, Ella, Myrtle, Margaret, Laura, Josephine and Ernest; George D. resides at Fairmount, West Virginia, married Ida B. Blackburn and has four children, Isabel, Hugh, Louis and Elizabeth; Albert James resides near his father, married Mary B. Hopkins and has two children, Edna and Harold; Robert Milton also resides near his father, married Mary Jane Keys and has two children, Bessie and Edith; Ross L. resides in Steubenville, Ohio, married Maggie Kinney and they have four children, John, Howard, Catherine Isabelle and Margaret Edna; Fannie Luella married George Pierson, and they reside at the home and have three children, Mary Lucille, Herbert M. and R. Francis; Nannie Bell married Edgar E. Wise, of Pultney township, and they have two children, Luther A. and Elsie May, and Mary Olive married William Garner and they reside on the Frank Bell farm, near St. Clairsville. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFEN, JAMES T. -- one of the progressive farmers of Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio, is much interested in his profession and keeps his home place in order with care and exactness which characterizes all his actions. He is a son of Morrison and Margaret (Taggart) Giffen, and was born on his farm in 1849.
Our subject's father first saw the light of day in Ohio County, (West) Virginia, in 1817, and for many years he continued to reside there, busily employed as an agriculturist. In the year 1825 he removed, however, to Colerain township, Belmont County, where he spent a number of years and lived peacefully until 1843, when he went to Richland township. The latter place continued to be his home until 1885, when he was taken away by death. He chose for the companion of his life Margaret Taggart, a daughter of James and Catherine (Stitt) Taggart, and their marriage was duly solemnized. Mrs. Giffen was born in 1815 in Richland township, and died in 1901. She was the mother of six children, two of whom are now deceased, and the names are as follows: Mary K.; Elizabeth J., whose death occurred in 1873; Robert Emmet; James T., our worthy subject; Sarah S., and John K., who is a missionary and was sent to Egypt in 1881, and to the Soudan in 1901, the latter place being his residence at the present time, where he works in the interest of the United Presbyterian Church. Mary K. married William K. Stillwell and her death took place in 1879. Robert Emmet is a farmer living two and a half miles northeast of St. Clairsville, where he owns 153 acres of land. He was united in marriage with Anna M. Bentley in 1878, and they have nine children, namely: John M., Bruce B., Elizabeth E., Sarah S., Margaret T., James K., Grace, Emma and Maud. Sarah S. makes her home with Robert E.
Our subject's father and mother were United Presbyterians in their religious worship, and in this faith the family was reared. In politics Mr. Giffen was a Democrat of firm opinions.
In 1879 the ceremony was performed which made Mr. Giffen and Ella Reid man and wife. Mrs. Giffen is the daughter of Edward and Mary Reid, and was born in August, 1856, on Wheeling Island, near Wheeling. This union was blessed with four children, who are as follows: Morrison R., deceased; Mary E., Jean M., and Jeannette L. Mary E. was born December, 1884, and graduated with the class of 1901 at St. Clairsville High School. She is now living at home. Jean M. and Jeannette L. are twins and were born April, 1891. The family are members and workers in the United Presbyterian Church, and their home surroundings are of a most pleasant nature.
Politically our subject belongs to the Democratic party, but does not hold office. He spends the greater part of his time on his farm, which consists of 116 acres and is located two miles north of St. Clairsville. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFIN, JOHN, a representative farmer and most highly esteemed citizen of Pultney township, Belmont County, Ohio, who is also a survivor of the Civil War, was born in Pease township, on High Ridge, April 26, 1842, a son of Robert and Sarah (Hinkle) Giffin, and a brother of Hugh Giffin, in whose sketch in this volume appears extended mention of the Giffin family, which originated in Scotland and was founded in Virginia 116 years ago.
Mr. Giffin was reared on the home farm and secured his education in the district schools of Pease township. His life has been an agricultural one, broken into by a service of five months in the army in Company A, 170th Ohio Vol. Inf., during the Civil War, and he now recalls those experiences as a member of Branum Post, G.A.R., No. 221.
In 1866 Mr. Giffin married Margaret C. McAllister, who is a sister to the wife of Hugh Giffin. After marriage our subject and wife resided on High Ridge until 1878, and then moved to Franklin station, Richland township, where Mr. Giffin was engaged for three years in farming, returning then to Pease township, where he operated very successfully for 16 years the place known as the Alexander farm. The tract known as the Nelson farm was then for sale, and this Mr. Giffin bought and farmed it for five years, selling then in order to purchase his present most desirable farm located in section 2, Pultney township, to which the family removed in April, 1902.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Giffin were nine in number, namely, Andrew Chalmer, who died at the age of seven months; Joseph A., who resides in Pease township, married Emma Wise and has two children, Carl and Russell; Anna M., who is the wife of Charles Wise, resides on the Keyser farm and they have three children, Nellie F., Florence and Theodore; Frank Merwood, who married Gertrude Cunningham, resides near Bellaire, their children being Lelah, Frank, Ralph and Edith, deceased; Lizzie D., Martin Wilbur, Everett J., Calvin Earl and Margaret Helen, all at home, making a pleasant, happy family circle.
Until 1880 Mr. Giffin voted the Democratic ticket, but since that time he has actively supported the Republican party. While a resident of Richland township he served acceptably as township trustee and is now president of the Pultney township school board. Mr. Giffin's fraternal membership is in the order of Knights of Pythias. His ancestors have all been earnest workers in the Presbyterian Church, and in that faith he was reared by a careful and pious mother. He is an elder in the Rock Hill Church and is clerk of the session. Mr. Giffin is a public spirited man. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFEN, ROBERT EMMET -- who is now serving his second term as trustee of Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio, is industriously following the pursuits of agriculture on his farm two and a half miles northeast of St. Clairsville, where he operates a dairy in addition to the general work of his vocation. Our subject is the son of Morrison and Margaret (Taggart) Giffen, and his birth occurred in 1847 in Richland township, Belmont County.
Morrison Giffen chose general farming for his life occupation, and was successful and prosperous in his career, continuing as a farmer until the termination of his life in 1885. He was a native of Ohio County, (West) Virginia, and was born in the year 1817. He remained in Ohio County until 1825, the date of his removal to Belmont County, Ohio, where he took up his residence in Colerain township, and there spent many years of his life. In 1843 the left his place there, however, and became one of the residents of Richland township, where he spent the closing years of his life. Politically he was a member of the Democratic party, and took a decided interest in all local affairs. Both he and his beloved wife were members of the United Presbyterian Church, and were held in high esteem by all who knew them. Mrs. Giffen was Margaret Taggart before her marriage and was a daughter of James and Catherine (Stitt) Taggart. She was born in 1815, a native of Richland township, and her demise occurred in 1901. The children of this union were six in number and the names are as follows: Mary K., Elizabeth J., Robert E., our subject; James T., Sarah S. and John K. The eldest child, Mary K., became the wife of William N. Stillwell, but died in 1879. Elizabeth J. departed this life in 1874. James T. makes his home in Richland township. Sarah lives with our subject. John K. became a missionary, was sent first to Egypt in 1881, and in 1901 to the Soudan, where he is still working in the interests of the United Presbyterian Church.
The marriage of Robert E. Giffen took place in 1873, when he was united with Anna M. Bentley, a daughter of Solomon and Ellen (Thompson) Bentley, who was born in 1851, and was also a native of Richland township. Nine children have been born to this union, namely: John M., Bruce B., Elizabeth E., Sarah S., Margaret T., James K., Grace, Emma and Maud. The family are devoted in their religious duties to the United Presbyterian Church.
In political affairs Mr. Giffen is a Prohibitionist, but has served the Democratic party well as township trustee; he has also been school director for some time, and gave evidence of sagacity and discretion in the fulfillment of his duties in that office. The farm which he possesses and manages with such good results consists of 153 acres of fine land; his specialty is the dairy, and with his fine Jersey cows he is enabled to make a large amount of butter, which he furnishes for the Wheeling market. His life is exceedingly busy, all his time being taken in attending to his duties as farmer. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFIN, ROBERT an esteemed resident of Bridgeport, Ohio, is a representative of one of the oldest and most favorably known families in Belmont County. For many years he has followed the trade of brick-laying and is generally acknowledged to be the most reliable worker in that line to be found in the county. In addition to this it may be truthfully remarked that Mr. Giffin has an honorable record as a soldier of the Civil War to which both he and his fellow-citizens may point with pride.
The birth of Robert Giffin occurred on July 9, 1836, in Belmont County, Ohio, a son of Robert and Sarah (Hinkel) Giffin, both of whom were also natives of this county. The father of our subject was a carpenter and contractor and erected many residences and a great number of the commodious and substantial barns which indicate so well, through the county, the substantial standing of the farmer. His religion was that of the Presbyterian Church, belonging first to the Covenanters' and later to the United Presbyterian Church. He died in 1866. His widow survived to the age of 87 years. The Giffin family, as noted, is an old one in Belmont County, founded by George Giffin, our subject's grandfather. The father of George was one of the first settlers at Roney's Point, (West) Virginia, and there George married Mary Milligan, and they came to Belmont County in the latter part of the 18th century. The grandfather died about 1840. Both he and wife belonged to the old Covenanters' Church and he contributed the land on which to erect the High Ridge Church edifice, where is located High Ridge Cemetery. George Giffin was an extensive farmer and owned much land, giving a farm to each of his five boys and three girls, all of whom have passed off the stage of life.
Robert Giffin of his sketch is one of a family of 13 children born to his parents, all of whom are living in Belmont County was the exception of: Mary, who died at the age of 15 months; Daniel, who died unmarried in 1855, in Illinois; and Susan, Mrs. McFarland, who died in Oregon. A good, common-school education was afforded our subject and he grew to young manhood assisting his father on the farm, continuing to be thus employed until the day of his enlistment for service in the Civil War, September 17, 1861. On October 14, 1861, he was mustered into Company A, 43rd Ohio Vol. Inf., as a private and his first meeting with the enemy was in General Pope's army, at the battle of New Madrid, Missouri, participating then in all the battles of his command - Island No. 10, Fort Pillow, Corinth, both siege and battle, and, then taking part in the marches and skirmishes of Sherman's army after his re-enlistment, on December 24, 1863, in the same company and regiment. Then came the battle of Atlanta, and the siege of Atlanta, the latter being understood by those who endured it as a period of 120 days under fire. To fully understand, the younger generation must listen to the thrilling story as it is related by one of the surviving heroes, and sluggish indeed will burn the fires of patriotism if it does not thrill the heart and kindle anew the respect with which the Civil War veterans should be regarded. After the close of the Atlanta campaign came the march to the sea, thence into South Carolina, then to her northern sister and then came the happy day when Johnston surrendered to the gallant army of General Sherman. Mr. Giffin was permitted to also participate in the grand review at Washington City, an occasion which will never be forgotten by the brave soldier who was one of the honored ones of the occasion. On July 13, 1865, he was mustered out of the service at Louisville, Kentucky, having served three years and nine months. During this long period he was never wounded or taken prisoner and endured the exposure very well after the first year. At the siege of Corinth on May 26, 1862, he was prostrated by a sunstroke which rendered him insensible until the following day, but this was his most serious accident.
After he had done his duty to his country, our subject quietly returned to his home and took up his trade, and has followed brick-laying ever since. For some 25 years this has been his chief employment and during a greater part of the time he has been an employee of the Aetna-Standard Sheet Steel Works, this alone testifying to his skill, only workmen of high-grade being employed here. He is known for his reliability as well as his good work and commands the respect of all who know him.
The marriage of Mr. Giffin was in April, 1861, to Florence L. McConnaughy, a daughter of John McConnaughy, a native of this county. Mrs. Giffin was one of a family of five children born to her parents, namely: Lucinda, who died in girlhood; Elzan, who is Mrs. William Smith, of this town; Florence L., who became Mrs. Giffin; Howell, who resides in Bridgeport; and Jane, who married C.W. Clogston, and died in Indian Territory, in 1901. The children born to our subject and wife were: John, who is a paper hanger and contractor, residing in Bridgeport, married Ella Tomlinson and has one child; Virginia Clara, who is Mrs. John McMillen and who resides in Maynard, has three children by a former marriage; Maggie, who is Mrs. William Boyles and resides in Bridgeport, has two children - Harry and Robert; Van Roy, who married Bessie Higgs and has two children - Irene and Kenneth; and Ida, who is a graduate of Frasher's Business College, in Wheeling.
For several years our subject served as a member of the board of health and for two years he has been a trustee of the cemetery. In Masonic circles Mr. Giffin has long been known as an enthusiastic and useful member, his connection with the order covering a period of 35 years, during the most of this time he has been tyler of the lodge. He also belongs to Belmont Chapter, No. 140, and has been guard for a quarter of a century, and is one of the charter members of this chapter. He is also a charter member of Branum Post No. 221, G.A.R., is officer of the day and has filled almost every official position in this post. He also belongs to the Senior Order of United American Mechanics. Mr. Giffin has many friends in Bridgeport and is known for his integrity and estimable character. The religious connection of the family is with the Methodist Church. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFEN, WILLIAM A., a prominent farmer of Belmont County, Ohio, who owns and operates one of the large and productive farms in Colerain township, near St. Clairsville, was born not far from Martin's Ferry, in this county, on Glenn's Run, a son of Samuel and Margaret (Kerr) Giffen, the former of whom was a native of Ohio County, West Virginia, and the latter of Belmont County.
In 1825 the parents of Samuel Giffen settled on the farm now owned by our subject, William A. Giffen, all of this land probably being underlaid with rich coal veins. Samuel resided at Glenn's Run for 15 years, but in 1861 located on this property, where he immediately began improvements, erecting a comfortable residence and building a commodious barn. He was a straightforward, public-spirited citizen, actively in sympathy with the Republican party, and prominent in the religious and educational advancement of the county. He was an elder in the United Presbyterian Church and reared his family in that faith. Samuel Giffen was born June 6, 1810, and died October 5, 1884, his wife being some years younger, born on November 1, 1823, and died on January 27, 1898, very generally regretted on account of her active interest in church work and her kindness to neighbors and devotion to family and friends. She belonged to one of the old and honorable families of the county, Robert and Sarah (Taggart) Kerr being her parents, the former of whom came to America from Scotland, and the latter, born in 1802, from Ireland.
On the paternal side, Grandfather John Giffen, with his wife, Elizabeth (Morrison) Giffen, with his ten children also, came to Belmont County in 1825, from Ohio County, (West) Virginia. These children were: Mary, Mrs. David Coats, born July 17, 1799; Robert, born November 28, 1801, was county recorder of Belmont County, and died unmarried; William, born March 21, 1804, married, first, a Miss Graham, and, second, Mary Morrison; John, born February 28, 1806; Joseph, born March 1, 1808; Samuel, born June 6, 1810; Elizabeth, Mrs. John Denham, born April 2, 1813, and is the last survivor of the family; Jane, born May 8, 1815, was Mrs. James Frazier; Morrison, born September 22, 1817; and Sarah A., born February 5, 1820, married William Grimes, and both have long since passed away. The maternal family was also large and became well known through the county, the eldest of the family being the mother of our subject; the others as follows: James Kerr, born in 1824, resides at Martin's Ferry; Catherine married John Porterfield, and both are deceased; Sarah J. married Samuel Thompson and resides in St. Clairsville; Robert, deceased, was a farmer in this county; Isaac and Peter, twins, are both deceased; Peter (2) studied for the ministry, but enlisted in the army in the Civil War, and died while on a furlough from disease contracted in the service; Louisa died at the age of five years; and Mary, born July 17, 1844, died December 9, 1898. Thus passed away members of two prominent families of the county, but they left behind them records of worthy lives and representatives who inherited their most admirable traits of character.
A family of 12 children was born to Samuel and Margaret Giffen, namely: John, Sarah E., Robert K., Isaac, James P., William A., Morrison E., Samuel R., Mary L., Laura, James, and Margaret B. John Giffen is a distinguished clergyman of the United Presbyterian Church. He graduated at Westminster College in 1871, and at Allegheny Seminary in 1875, and immediately accepted work in the missionary field in Egypt, and has been located at various points, during the greater part of the time being assistant at the church in Cairo. There he has been instructor in Associate College and Cairo Theological Seminary, and is a man of great learning. His first marriage was to Mary Galoway, of Due West, South Carolina, who died in October, 1881. His second marriage was to Elizabeth Newlin, in 1883. Sarah E. married William Hinkle, a farmer and fruit grower, and they live near Cameron, West Virginia. Robert K. is a traveling salesman. He first married Emma Brown, and later her sister Ella, and resides in Wheeling. Isaac married Margaret Paxton, now deceased, and resides on a farm near Martin's Ferry. Jane C. died at the age of 20 months. Morrison E. graduated from Muskingum College in the class of 1886, and from Allegheny Seminary in the spring of 1889, and in the fall of the latter year went as a missionary to Egypt, where he has since been occupied, having charge of the distribution of books and village work as minister and missionary. He married Miss Frances Martin in 1886. Samuel R., born in 1860, was a farmer, and died February 2, 1900. James P. is a graduate of Muskingum College of 1891, and of Xenia Theological Seminary of 1894, and is a minister of the United Presbyterian Church, located at Edgerton, Kansas. He married Libbia Sleeth. All of the daughters were also given collegiate advantages.
William A. Giffen is a graduate of Muskingum College, and has been identified with agricultural interests during the greater part of his life. After the death of his father, he attended to the settling of the estate, and has charge of the home farm, consisting of about 300 acres, the greater part of which is still undivided. His personal estate comprises 200 acres or more, all of which is very valuable, both for farming purposes and also for its coal deposits.
Mr. Giffen is an active Republican and a substantial and representative citizen. Like his father, he has ever been held in high esteem in Colerain township. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GIFFEN, W.W., one of the most successful farmers of Mead township, Belmont County, owns and occupies a fine farm in the vicinity of Businessburg, the location of his spacious brick residence being on a high hill and commanding an extended view over miles of country.
W.W. Giffen was born in Monroe County, Ohio, and he is a son of John and Nancy (Adams) Giffen, who were married in Belmont County, although the former was born in Scotland in 1819, and the latter in Pennsylvania, in 1828. Both parents are beloved and honored members of their son's household.
John Giffen was a son of William and Isabel (Reed) Giffen, who emigrated from Scotland to America, in 1820, settling first in Pennsylvania, but in the following spring pushing on into Belmont County, Ohio, where they located on McMechen's Creek. Later they removed to Pleasant Hill. In the spring of 1846 their son, John Giffen, removed to Monroe County, and remained there until 1866, when he returned to Belmont County and purchased the farm where he resides with his son. This was known as the William Warren farm, and the large and substantial residence was erected by William Warren. Here John Giffen most successfully pursued an agricultural life, accumulated a competency and for a number of years has lived a retired life. During many years he was prominently identified with public affairs in the township, most efficiently filled many of the local offices, and on many occasions served as trustee. He is known as a man of the highest integrity and one whose word needs no legal measure to make it binding. A family of 10 children was born to John and Nancy (Adams) Giffen, their names being as follows: Isabel, the wife of David Johnson, a farmer living near St. Clairsville; W.W., of this sketch, who is unmarried; James A., a resident of Licking County, Ohio, who married Jane Cooke, and has these children - Lawrence, Otto, Wilma, Clara, Annie, Sarah and Jennie; John A., of Licking County, who is unmarried; Sarah J., who died some years ago; Orleana, who resides at home; Letitia, who married Joseph Main, of Delaware County, Ohio, and has one child - Nancy Lavella; Matthew, who is unmarried, is a resident of Morrow County; Archie, who is a resident of Delaware County, married Martha Main, and has three children - Lloyd, Alta and Alma (twins); and Elizabeth, who died in 1882.
Our subject is an experienced, careful, practical farmer, and for a considerable period he has given much attention to the breeding of high grade stock, thoroughbred cattle and sheep, his healthy flocks of National Delaine sheep and herds of sleek Durham cattle testifying to his gratifying success. In politics, Mr. Giffen is identified with the Democratic party. The family belongs to the United Presbyterian Church and attends services at Pleasant Hill. This family is very well known through Belmont County, where they have attained prominence in agricultural circles and are socially representative. The beautiful old home is often the scene of family reunions, the aged parents being the center of the group, happy in the knowledge that their children have grown to be not only a credit to them, but also to the county. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GILLASPIE, SAMUEL - a well-known agriculturist residing in York township, Belmont County, Ohio, resides on the old home farm where he was born and has always lived. The date of his birth is 1842, and he is a son of David Gillaspie and grandson of David Gillaspie.
David Gillaspie, grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and at the age of 16 years was in the block-house at Wheeling, (West) Virginia. He was a potter by trade and for some years worked about Wheeling. Upon coming to York township, he located upon the farm now owned and occupied by our subject, which has been in possession of the Gillaspie family for more than 90 years. He took up section 27 in partnership with the Moore family and lived upon this farm until his death in 1857. He married Hannah Stuckey, by whom he had the following children: John, Jacob, David, Nancy, Lydia, Barbara and Elizabeth.
David Gillaspie, father of our subject, was born in York township in 1812 and resided here all his life, dying in 1887. He was a Democrat in politics and served as township trustee many years. He married Matilda Gates, who now resides at Beallsville, Ohio, at the advanced age of 84 years. To them were born three children: Samuel; Philena, of Beallsville, widow of Thomas Wilson; and Nancy (Brock), who lives in Monroe County. Mrs. Gillaspie's father was Daniel Gates.
Samuel Gillaspie was reared in his native county and in 1862 enlisted in Company F, 52nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., in the 14th Army Corps, under General Sherman, accompanying that great general in his march through the Southern States to the Atlantic Coast. Upon the close of the war he returned home and has since engaged in farming. He helped to build the present house on the farm, as well as the barn and other outbuildings, and at the present time owns 72 acres of well improved land.
Mr. Gillaspie was joined in marriage to Melinda Hurley, who was born in Washington township, Belmont County, in 1847, and is a daughter of Nehemiah and Elizabeth (Willis) Hurley, being one of eight children that grew to mature years: Washington, Charlotte, Franklin, James, Nehemiah, Cyrus, who died in Andersonville Prison, Sarah E. and Melinda. Those who died before reaching maturity were Adeline, Eveline, Sarah E., and an infant. To our subject and his wife were born the following children: Annie married Louis Schafer and has three children living, Leroy, Myrtle, Goldie, and one deceased. Bernice Marie; Zepheniah married Mary Boner and has a daughter, Hazel; Effie married George Kreichbaum, of York township, and has a son, Clarence; Elizabeth (Perin) has two sons living, Floyd and Ralph, and one deceased, John N.; Winona, wife of Albert Newhart, has a son, Newell; Myrtle, Hattie and Sherman. Three children - Maud, Lena and an infant - are deceased. In politics Mr. Gillaspie is independent. Socially he is a member of G.A.R. Post, No. 595, at Armstrong's Mills. Religiously he is a member of the Christian Church.
Ithamer P. Gillaspie, a cousin of our subject, residing in section 28, York township, was born December 2, 1848, and is a son of John and Margaret (Cree) Gillaspie, his mother, who is 76 years of age, residing with him. His father was born in 1803 and died in 1879. Ithamer is one of 10 children: Melissa D., widow of David Carpenter, residing in Mead township; Nancy Jane, deceased, who was the wife of William Richmond; Wellington, of Wirt County, West Virginia; Margaret Elizabeth, deceased, wife of Abram Ramsay; David C., of Emporia, Kansas; John J.; Hannah; Mary E.; Ithamer P.; and George W., of Glencoe. Ithamer P. Gillaspie married Sarah Janet Giffen, who was born in York township in 1850 and is a daughter of John G. and Sarah Giffen, and they have four sons and one daughter, as follows: Martha J. (Fish), of Bellaire, Ohio, who has two children, Neva and Eula; Everett E., of West Virginia; George W., of West Virginia; Cleveland G., and Clarence A. The Gillaspie family is one of the oldest and best known in York township. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GILLESPIE, GEORGE - a well-known citizen of York township, Belmont County, Ohio, is a native of this township, the date of his birth being 1841. He is a son of Jacob and Mary E. (Pyles) Gillespie, and grandson of David Gillespie.
David Gillespie was born in America, but was of Irish parentage. He was at the Wheeling block-house, contemporary with the Zane township. Upon coming to York township, Belmont County, Ohio, he took up land from the government at Dover, now owned and occupied by Samuel Gillespie. His death occurred before the breaking out of the Civil War. His children were John, Jacob, David, Nancy, Lydia, Barbara and Elizabeth, all of whom are now deceased.
Jacob Gillespie was born in York township in 1806 and died in 1895. He resided in York township all his life, a part of the time being located in the northern part of the township. He married Mary E. Pyles, who was born in York township and died about 1847. To them were born the following children: Mary Elizabeth, wife of James Giffen, living at Glencoe; Robert G., who resides at Waverly, Coffey County, Kansas,; Ebenezer, who served in Company F, 52nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., was killed in the battle of Chickamauga; Lydia, deceased, was the wife of Alexander Graham, of Washington township; George, subject of this sketch; Sarah, wife of Noah B. Carle, resides near St. Clairsville, in Richland township, and Maria Louise, who died about 1847.
George Gillespie was reared at the home of his grandparents in York township, until he was 12 years of age, since which time he has lived in York township. He came to his present home about 1891, it being the old James A. Giffen farm in section 22, consisting of 172 acres. He is engaged in general farming and has a well improved farm. He is a man of high character, deeply interested in all relating to the general welfare of the township and county, and stands high in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
Mr. Gillespie was united in marriage with Mary E. Giffen, who was born in York township, and is a daughter of John G. Giffen, and to them were born nine children, as follows: Alice, who lives at home; Sarah Ellen, wife of Joseph Penn, of Belmont, Belmont County; Lena B., wife of Charles E. Ruble, residing in Bellaire, Ohio; Albert A., of Moundsville, West Virginia; Lawrence, a machinist by trade, located in California; Vernon B., who lives at home; Frank E., who is also at home, and Mary J. Politically Mr. Gillespie is independent, and is at present a trustee of York township, to which office he was elected in the spring of 1901 on the Democratic ticket. In religious views he is a member of the Christian Church. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GILLESPIE, THOMAS and WILLIAM CALVIN -- two of the most enterprising and wealthy agriculturists of Belmont County, now residing on a large and attractive farm in Wheeling township, are there by intelligence and skillful management carrying on a most successful industry. Making a specialty of raising sheep and thoroughbred cattle, they have in these lines met with the most gratifying results. Both were born on the farm next to the one on which they now reside, Thomas, November 25, 1847, and William Calvin, February 13, 1852. They are of Scotch-Irish descent and the sons of Robert and Eleanor (Barnes) Gillespie.
Thomas Gillespie, grandfather of William, was born in the north of Ireland in June, 1781. At an early date he came to America and settled in Pennsylvania. Later, however, he came to Ohio, and purchasing a 90-acre farm in Wheeling township, remained there for the rest of his life. He died September 20, 1849. In 1803, while living in Pennsylvania, he married Jane Love, and they had eight children - George, who lived near Woodsfield, in Monroe County, Ohio, and died there in 1880, married Louisa Henderson and they had nine children, six sons and three daughters. Belle, who died in 1887, married Thomas McFarland, a resident of Monroe County, Ohio, and they had seven children. Maria married James Ensley, who resides near Keene, in Coshocton County, Ohio, and they had six children. She died in 1890. Peggy (Margaret) married Thomas Culbertson, and resided in Guernsey County, near Washington, Ohio. They had three children. She is now deceased. John lived in Shepherdstown and died there in 1892. Jane, deceased, resided near Caldwell, in Noble County, Ohio, and was the wife of James Amos; they had four children. Louisa married William Barr and lived near Bellefontaine, in Logan County. Thomas married Belle Haverfield and resided in Jacobsburg, Belmont County, where he died in 1895. They had four children.
Robert Gillespie, father of William Calvin, was born on the Belmont County homestead in January, 1821. Following in the footsteps of his father, upon reaching manhood he made farming the business of his life, carrying on the industry in Belmont County. He married Eleanor Barnes, daughter of Peter Barnes, of Maryland. To Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie were born five children. Of these, Joseph, born May 12, 1859, died of diphtheria, then an epidemic in the county, November 12, 1861, at the age of 12 years. John L., born November 25, 1854, a farmer and stock raiser near Harrisville, Ohio. He married Louisa Green of Shepherdstown, daughter of John Green, and they have five children. Nancy J., born August 17, 1855, married George Lyle, a farmer and stock raiser of Harrison County, Ohio, residing near New Athens. They have six children.
Thomas and William Calvin Gillespie were born reared in Belmont County, and in the common schools of their neighborhood procured their education. Here by strict attention to business they became well grounded in the rudiments, and William, upon leaving school, was enabled to follow teaching. He was very successful in his professional work, and filled positions in Wheeling and Richland townships for a period of 12 years. Later the two brothers turned their attention to agriculture, carrying on the farm which they now possess and which was at one time owned by their grandfather immediately upon his arrival from Pennsylvania. Here they have erected new buildings, and from time to time made other marked improvements. Besides this homestead, they own another large farm in the township where they now reside. Together the place embraces 312 acres, largely under cultivation, which the brothers are enabled to work to good advantage, engaging extensively in general farming. They make a specialty of Shorthorn cattle, Jerseys, Red and Poland-China hogs, and Blacktop, Delaine, or Pennsylvania sheep. Raising sheep they have found especially profitable, and they now own about 400.
Thomas Gillespie has never married, but resides with his brother. March 7, 1891, William Calvin married Lizzie Williams. They have, however, no children. The two brothers have exhibited to a remarkable degree shrewd business management and much practical ability in their farming, and have amassed considerable property. They are well known throughout the county and are highly esteemed. In national affairs they vote the Democratic ticket; in State politics they are liberal. The early Gillespies were Swedenborgians; the present generation are old school Presbyterians. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GOW, JOHN R., the efficient postmaster of Bellaire, Belmont County, Ohio, is now serving his second term in that office, and is well known throughout the city as a business man and enterprising citizen. Mr. Gow's parents have both been dead some years, and he has practically spent his life in Belmont County.
The early boyhood days of Mr. Gow were passed upon a farm near Martin's Ferry, Ohio, and it was in that city that he filled his first position as a boy in the newspaper business. He was just 16 years of age when he was engaged in the office of the "Ohio Valley News," and this position he held with good results for a number of years, but in 1875-76 he removed to Bellaire, where, associated with others, he conducted the "Bellaire Leader" for four years, making it a bright, newsy sheet, reading matter well selected, editorials good, and local news admirably presented. Following this, he was elected city clerk and held the office 16 years, until he received the appointment of postmaster from President McKinley. He took charge of his duties at the Post Office in April, 1898, and was re-appointed in April, 1902, by President Roosevelt, to the satisfaction of the people of his community.
Our subject has one son, Robert C., who was educated at Bellaire and also spent two years at Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio. He is now 21 years of age and is employed by the Bellaire Bottle Company. Mr. Gow is identified with many business enterprises of Bellaire, among which are the following: He is a director of the First National Bank of Bellaire, of the Enterprise Enamel Company, and of the Bellaire Bottle Works. He is a Presbyterian in religious faith, having been reared as such.
Socially Mr. Gow affiliates with the Masonic fraternity, having passed through all the chairs of the blue lodge and chapter of Bellaire, and of Hope Commandery, K.T., at St. Clairsville. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GRAY, JAMES C., a prominent attorney and one of the active and successful business men of Martin's Ferry, Belmont County, Ohio, was born in Belmont County on June 20, 1851, a son of James W. and Alison (Thorburn) Gray, the former of whom was a native of Belmont County, and the latter of Scotland.
James W. Gray, the father of the subject of this biography, was one of the leading business men of the Eastern Ohio Valley. In 1865 he bought a one-half interest in the William Wiley foundry and machine works, and continued to operate in that connection until he with others bought the other half interest and the firm continued until his retirement, in 1872, as the James W. Gray Company, Mr. Gray being almost sole owner. The castings made at this foundry found favor over a wide territory, were used in Pittsburg, Wheeling and Cincinnati. During the Civil War they made shot, shells and cannon balls for the Union Army. It was one of the pioneer industries of the section and under the vigorous control of Mr. Gray proved a substantial financial success.
For a number of years James W. Gray was an elder in the United Presbyterian Church. He was an Abolitionist in political sentiment and desired the prosecution of the war to its honorable end. His death occurred on June 23, 1887, in his 67th year. He was sincerely mourned for he was known to be an upright man and estimable citizen. The mother of our subject was born July 21, 1824, a daughter of Alexander Thorburn, who came from Scotland in the early days of the century passed, and settled at Scotch Ridge, Belmont County, but after a number of years moved to near Quincy, Illinois, where he died. His wife passed away November 6, 1858, in this county. The children born to James W. Gray and his wife were four in number, viz.: John A., who is a professor in Muskingum College; James C., who is our subject; Ellen, who resides with her brother just mentioned; and Sarah, who has charge of the art department at Muskingum College.
The early education of James C. Gray was obtained in Martin's Ferry, and later he completed his education at Muskingum College, graduating with the degree of B.L. He followed this with a law course at Ann Arbor, Michigan, graduating there in the class of 1880. His practice was begun at Martin's Ferry where he has since continued. He has served the city in several responsible positions, although his inclinations are not in the direction of political honor. His leading ambition is to rank well in his profession. For four years he served the city as solicitor, has been local attorney for several railroads. He created a favorable impression and a degree of prominence for himself in the famous case of the collision on the Ohio River between the "John Lomas" and the steamer "Scioto," on July 4, 1882. He was the senior counsel on the "Lomas" side. During the campaigns of 1896 and 1900 he was active in working for the Republican candidates in the national campaigns. While he seeks no office for himself, he is ever ready to help his friends and uphold the principles of his chosen party. Both of his parents were devoted members of the Presbyterian Church, and he has found his religious home within that body for the past 18 years, and had been the director of the choir in the Martin's Ferry church.
On December 5, 1883, Mr. Gray was united in marriage with Clara Bird, a native of Easton, Pennsylvania, born June 20, 1861, a daughter of Joseph Bird, who was an English ironmaster that came to Belmont County in 1879. Mrs. Gray died on March 21, 1902, deeply lamented by all who knew her. She was devoted to the church, was a member of the Woman's Club at Wheeling, an exceedingly popular personage in social circles and a blessing to her home and family. The three children born to Mr. and Mrs. Gray were: Calvin Bird, taking an electrical course at the American Tin Plate company's Works; James Paul; and William Shakespeare, named for the immortal bard on account of a relationship existing through his maternal grandparents. Mr. Gray as noted above has made an enviable record as a lawyer and is equally fortunate in possessing the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens who recognize in him an honest, upright and public-spirited man. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GREEN, GEORGE W. - a prosperous farmer of York township, Belmont County, of which he is a native, was born June 23, 1835, and is a son of Robert B. and Mary T. (Trackler) Green.
Robert B. Green was born in New York State January 27, 1792, and moved with his father, Asher Green, first to Moundsville, West Virginia, about 1802, and in 1815 to Belmont County, buying a tract of land at the mouth of Cat's Run, which had been entered by George Lemley, and is located in section 14. Mr. Green had a large tract of land, consisting of 420 acres, and engaged in general farming. He also traded between his place and New Orleans, making his first trip on a flatboat in 1805, returning home on foot. He frequently made the return trip by boat to New York. He resided on the home farm until his death September 18, 1869. He was at one time a commissioner of Belmont County, and assisted in building the wooden bridge across Captina Creek, in the "forties." He married Mary T. Trackler, who was born in Shenandoah Valley, (West) Virginia, February 6, 1799, and died in Belmont County, April 27, 1874. She came to Gallia County, Ohio, about 1806, and for years carded the wool and made clothing for the family. Her father, who was of German descent, came by wagon down the Kanawha River and settled upon 400 acres of land along the Ohio River. To Mr. and Mrs. Green were born the following children: Philip T., born May 21, 1819, and died April 12, 1844; Albert G., born June 30, 1821, who lived on a portion of the old homestead until his death; Elizabeth, born April 11, 1823, died April 7, 1826; Loman H., born February 3, 1825, who is deceased; Barbara T., born August 21, 1827, who married John M. Robb and resides on a part of the old home place; Permelia, born in June, 1830, now deceased, first married a Mr. Ring, and later John Owens; Mary, born January 7, 1832, married William Abrams, who survives her and resides in Allegheny City, being a steamboat pilot; George W., subject of this biography, and John C., who was born June 8, 1841, and died September 21, 1842.
George W. Green was reared on the home farm in York township, and for three or four years clerked in the store of Dorsey & Potts, also teaching school for a time. From May 1, 1864, to September 31, 1864, he served with the rank of 2nd lieutenant in Company C, 170th Reg., Ohio National Guard, with Sheridanin the Shenandoah Valley. Upon his return from war he served one year as clerk in the store, and then returned to the farm to care for his parents in their declining years. He has a very fine farm, on which he built a comfortable home and made many other improvements, and follows general farming.
January 1, 1860, Mr. Green was joined in marriage with Jane Greenlee, who was born McMechen's Creek January 23, 1845, and is a daughter of Alexander Greenlee, her mother being a Brice. She was reared on McMechen's Creek and moved to York township when her father purchased the Lemley farm. To this union have been born the following children: Mary O., born August 20, 1869, who is the wife of Oscar W., McMannis, and resides in Colerain township; Robert B., born October 8, 1871, who lives at home; Charles E., born June 12, 1872, who teaches school at Captina; William J., born January 21, 1875, who is at home; Albert G., born May 19, 1877, who died February 18, 1882; Walter L., born September 29, 1879, who died March 3, 1899; and John A., born January 2, 1882, who is at home. Politically our subject was a Democrat for many years and is now a Prohibitionist. He served as assessor of York township two terms. In religious views he is liberal as to creed, his wife and Charles E. attending the Presbyterian Church and his three other sons the Methodist. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GREEN, J.A., one of the foremost business men of Bellaire, Belmont County, Ohio, gives the greater part of his attention to his grocery store, where he handles fresh meat, flour, etc., and a full line of both fancy and staple groceries. The parents of our subject were Samuel and Elizabeth (Cannon) Green, and he is a grandson of "Little" Henry Green, who is well remembered as one of the earliest residents of Belmont County.
Samuel Green and his estimable wife were born and reared near Captina Creek, and died when our subject was still a small child, his birth having taken place in Monroe County in 1857. During his boyhood he had only the common schools from which to gain his knowledge of books and what he has acquired beyond the short period of instruction there, he has gained through his own efforts and he may be called a self-made man. He resided with friends at Lewis' Mills, Ohio, after his parents' death, spending three years in this manner, and in 1872 went to Bellaire, where his home has been ever since.
The first employment J.A. Green found upon locating in Bellaire was that of clerk in the grocery store of I.L. Fawcett, who is still in business in the city and is known as one of the oldest grocers in Bellaire. Becoming familiar with the business and store while he was employed as clerk there, Mr. Green soon decided to embark in business for himself and in 1885 he opened his own place of business to the public at Nos. 2111-13 Belmont street, and has continued to prosper to the present day. He has remodeled his store, making it double, so the dimensions are now 40 by 65 feet; it has a steel ceiling, is provided with both electric lights and fans, and under the supervision of our subject is a model of neatness everywhere, with the wares arranged most advantageously. Four people are employed to conduct affairs quickly and smoothly and Mr. Green is active manager, spending most of his time there, although interested in many other business enterprises.
Mr. Green was united in marriage with Susan Wilson, who is a daughter of N.R. Wilson, residing near Belmont. They have five children, namely: William H., James Earl, Bertha, Cora Nell and Flora May, and live comfortably in their residence at No. 2105 Belmont street, which is very conveniently situated in regard to the store. The family attended divine services at the M.E. Church.
In politics Mr. Green is a Republican, voting the straight ticket at elections. He is a director of the Enterprise Enamel Company, director and president of the Belmont Electric Light & Power Company, and a stockholder in the new Imperial Glass Company. By his energy, careful attention to small details and his uniform courtesy, he has placed himself upon a popular basis with the purchasing community, which has led to his success in business. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GREENFIELD, J.A., freight agent of the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railroad at Bellaire, Ohio, is a typical railroader and has been a faithful employee of that company since 1864, having filled his present position since 1887. Mr. Greenfield was born in Western New York in 1849, and is a son of William Greenfield, who was also a native of the Empire State. With his family he settled in Bellaire in 1864, and was employed for many years in the freight department of the same system upon which our subject is employed. He died in 1876, aged 62 years. His widow is still living and, with her daughter, Jennie, resides with our subject in Bellaire. Her maiden name was Strong, and her father was a noted contractor and builder, having built the first church structure in Syracuse, New York.
In early youth Mr. Greenfield began a railroad career, working first on the Pennsylvania lines. He was first stationed at Bellaire as clerk in the freight department, but was soon transferred to different points. He rose from clerk to freight agent, and was employed in the latter capacity at Liverpool for five years, from 1882 to 1887, when he was transferred to his present position at Bellaire, where he continues to give excellent satisfaction.
Politically, Mr. Greenfield is a close adherent to the Republican party, as have been all members of the family. For six years he served as deputy supervisor of elections for Belmont County. Socially he is a Mason of high degree, being a member of the blue lodge of Bellaire and of Hope Commandery, K.T., of St. Clairsville. On religious subjects he entertains liberal ideas, but his mother is a Baptist, while his sisters favor the Methodist Church. His record with the railroad is above reproach. By his own exertions and his faithfulness in executing the trusts imposed upon him, he has worked his way up from an humble position, and deserves great credit. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GRELLA, CHARLES A., an enterprising grocer of Bellaire, is now conducting one of the largest and oldest industries of its kind in the city, the business having been established in 1879 by his father. Since he took a hand in the management, however, he has done much to push the business to its present prosperous condition and to make the store at 4575 Jefferson street one of the busiest markets in the city.
Mr. Grella has undoubtedly inherited much of his energy and clear-headed business capacity from his good German ancestors. His father, Louis Grella, was a native of Germany, and in 1870 came to this country and soon afterward settled in Bellaire. Here at its present location in 1878 he erected the store where the son is now conducting business, a substantial structure 80 by 20 feet. The following year he put in a good stock of groceries and started business. The industry proved a success from the start, and from year to year he was enabled to enlarge his stock and branch out in other respects. In 1893 he received his son as a partner and the firm has since been known as L. Grella & Son. Mr. Grella died in June, 1901. His wife is now residing at their pleasant residence at No. 4565 Jefferson street. To Mr. and Mrs. Grella were born seven children - Louis, now in the steel business in Pittsburg; Charles A., who is mentioned below; William, a clerk in his brother's grocery store; Minnie, who lives at home; Louisa, who married D. Riley, of Pittsburg, and Emma and Ida, who are still at home. Mr. Grella was a man who exerted influence upon the public affairs of the city. In politics he affiliated with the Democrats.
Charles A. Grella was reared in an atmosphere of business, and upon reaching manhood readily took to the industry his father had so firmly established in Bellaire. As has been said, he became a partner in this grocery establishment in 1893, and since the death of his father, about a year ago, he has taken full charge of affairs. He carries a full line of staple and fancy groceries, has a large retail trade, and is engaged to some extent in the wholesale business. In fact, the industry requires the employment of six men regularly and at times even more. Having considerable surplus capital, Mr. Grella has branched out to some extent, and as a large investor in the enterprises is now director of the Belmont Savings & Loan Company, and also of the recently organized Enameled Steel Tile Company.
Mr. Grella is now residing at the home of his parents. He belongs to the I.O.O.F.; F. & A.M., Ionic Lodge, of Bellaire; Hope Commandery, K.T., of St. Clairsville; K. of P., Black Prince Lodge, and the Junior O.U.A.M. Politically he affiliates with the Republicans, and in religious views he sides with the German Reformed Church. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
GROVES, ELLIOTT W., a successful farmer and an intelligent and esteemed citizen of Flushing township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born in Kirkwood township, in the same county, July 1, 1855, a son of Samuel and Charlotte (Douglass) Groves, the latter a daughter of Hugh Douglass, of the same township. The Groves family is an old and respected one, noted for its devotion to the Methodist Church, and for its adherence to the principles of Democracy. The Douglasses originated in Scotland, immigrated to Maryland, where Hugh Douglass was born.
Samuel Groves, the father of our subject, was born in Kirkwood township, Belmont County, in 1825, and died August 26, 1900, aged 65 years, six months and 14 days. In 1854 he married Charlotte Douglass, and they had born to them a family of six children, namely: Elliott W.; Iona I., who married A. Ferguson Hunter, lives near Barnesville; Cyrus died when but 10 years of age; Savina, Eliza and Ida. Samuel Groves followed farming all his life, residing on a farm adjoining the farm where he was born. He was a man of exemplary character, devoted to his home and family, and highly respected in his neighborhood. He was of Holland descent on the paternal side and German on the maternal, and inherited admirable traits from both parents.
Elliott W. Groves acquired a good common school education, which wide reading and much travel has ripened into a vast fund of useful knowledge. On September 11, 1879, he married Laura Howell, a daughter of Hiram, a granddaughter of John, and a great-granddaughter of Benjamin Howell. Mr. and Mrs. Groves reside on the Howell homestead, her mother still surviving, an honored member of the family. They have one son, Murry, who was born September 20, 1886.
Mr. Groves has taken an active and interested part in political matters, although he has never consented to accept political favors. During the continuance of the Greenback party he supported it, but now votes independently, favoring the principles of the Populists and believing in the free coinage of silver. He is connected with the order of Odd Fellows, and was an honorary member of the Order of United American Mechanics for a season. It is his desire to locate in business in the neighborhood of Pueblo, Colorado, in the near future, his health not being robust enough for an agricultural life. In person Mr. Groves impresses one pleasantly, his erect figure and fine countenance being notable, while intelligence is denoted by his clear eye and careful, well-modulated voice. His interests are centered in the welfare of his family, and believes the Great West, through which he has extensively traveled, is the place for the young men of the future to find their opportunities. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]