TALLMAN, RAYMOND A. - deputy clerk of the Probate Court at St. Clairsville, Ohio, was born in Washington County, Kansas, April 8, 1872, and is a son of James F. and Mary E. (Wilson) Tallman.
James F. Tallman was born March 30, 1844, and received his mental training in St. Clairsville. He studied law under his father, the late Peter Tallman, who was a practitioner of Belmont County. James F. Tallman practiced law for some time in Washington County, Kansas, and then moved to Belmont County, where he served as Probate judge for two terms - from 1891 to 1897. He is now living in Chicago, Illinois. His wife, Mary E. (Wilson) Tallman, was born in Fulton County, Illinois, October 19, 1845. They reared five children, namely: Mabel E., of Chicago; Raymond A.; Adeline, who lives at home; Peter, who did at the age of 22 years; and Mary J., who is also at home. Mr. and Mrs. Tallman are remembered by a large circle of friends in St. Clairsville, where for many years they were active in social and business circles.
Raymond A. Tallman received his mental training in the schools of St. Clairsville, where he graduated in the class of 1891. After leaving school he accepted the position of deputy clerk of the Probate Court, and has since then continued to serve in that capacity, being six years of the time in office with his father. The other five years he has served under Judge Smith. His long continuance in this position is conclusive proof of service well rendered, and he is young in years, his future is one of promise.
On July 25, 1894, Mr. Tallman was married to Lucy V. Hartley, a native of West Virginia, and a daughter of C.E. Hartley, of that State. Mr. and Mrs. Tallman have three children - Madge, Louis R. and Dorothy L. Mrs. Tallman is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Tallman stands high in the community, both in a business and social way, and is highly esteemed by all who know him. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
TAYLOR, Frater John, Brainerd (MN). U S Indian agt Leech Lake Agcy. Born April 19, 1848 in Belmont county O, son of Thomas and Isabella (Taylor) Frater. Married Oct. 17, 1874 to Julia A Myers. Attended public schools Ohio; Ohio Central College and Duff's Mercantile College Pittsburg. Raised on farm; engaged in mercantile business in small way in Ohio; moved to Minn 1881 and worked as clk N P Ry 2 years; grocery bkper 5 years; county treas Crow Wing county 1888-1904; state senator 1905; insurance business 1905-1907; appointed Indian agt Leech Lake agcy 1907; chairman Crow Wing county Republican Committee 1896-1902; member Republican Club Brainerd; commercial Club, Masonic fraternity, K of P, A O U W, Shrine and B P O E. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
TAYLOR, JAMES, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Wheeling township, Belmont County, Ohio, is a representative of two old and highly regarded families of both Pennsylvania and Ohio. He is a son of William and Margaret (Gillespie) Taylor, formerly of Pennsylvania, later of Guernsey County, Ohio.
The Taylors came originally from Ireland, the great-grandfather of James Taylor of this sketch having been born in that land and later becoming the founder of the family in Washington County, near Burgettstown, Pennsylvania. The Gillespies also came from Ireland, Grandfather James Gillespie either having been born in that land or upon the ocean during the voyage to the United States. The Taylor family settled in Knox County, Ohio, at a later date, and there the children of Grandfather John Taylor were born, removal being made to Belmont County in 1824.
Grandfather John Taylor married Mary McNaught prior to leaving Pennsylvania, and in 1824 they came to Wheeling township and in 1825 settled upon the farm which our subject now owns. This farm was entered by William McWilliams under a patent deed and was sold later to John Taylor, by whom it was cleared with the assistance of his sons. At the time of location, the county was still unsettled, wild animals still being seen in the forest and equally dangerous savages still menacing life and property. Those were days in which men went prepared to meet a foe in every stranger. A little incident, which remained fresh in the mind of Grandfather Taylor through life, exemplifies this in a marked degree. He was a man of powerful physique, and was always alert and watchful for attacks from Indians, which were still frequent. One day he sat in his house cobbling a pair of shoes, in which business he was using a sharp leather knife, when a rap at his cabin door was heard and when, with knife in hand, he unfastened the latch he was confronted with a rifle in the hands of an individual dressed in coon skins. Taken completely by surprise, when the stranger lunged at him Mr. Taylor sprang upon the supposed Indian and slashed his coat from one side to the other, barely escaping making a serious wound. However, no copper-skin appeared under the clothing, and he was horrified to find that he had almost killed a cousin, Thomas Raiffe, who had played a rather dangerous practical joke. He lived to see the savages disappear from his lands and to see a part of the wonderful development of this garden spot of Belmont County. John Taylor was born October 1, 1783, and died in 1861. His children were these: Thomas, born April 21, 1807; Elizabeth, born January 20, 1809; John, born October 5, 1810, died March 30, 1896; Margaret, born January 26, 1813; Nathaniel, born December 15, 1814, died September 3, 1889; William, born August 1, 1817; Henry, born April 5, 1822, and Sarah Jane, born October 7, 1825.
William Taylor, the father of our subject, was a man of high moral character and was well educated for his time and locality. On March 11, 1840, he married Margaret Gillespie, and they had three children born to them, namely, John, who died at the age of six years; James, the subject of this review, and Henry, born May 16, 1845. Both he and wife were members of the Associate Reform Church in which he was an elder, as his father had been before him, later becoming attached to the United Brethren religious body. The farm of 160 acres which had been the property of John Taylor is now owned by Henry and James Taylor. The father and his two sons lived on and operated the old farm of nearly 300 acres, Henry remaining at home after marriage. William Taylor died August 28, 1893, his wife dying many years previously, on February 18, 1882.
James Taylor was born on January 4, 1843, and on September 1, 1864, at the age of 21 years, he married Sarah Louisa Thompson, daughter of Samuel L. Thompson, of Morgan County, Ohio. The four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are: Emmet A., born August 24, 1865, was married May 14, 1899, to Nellie Coleman, and resides near his father, engaged in farming; William, born October 6, 1868, on March 18, 1896, married Maggie I. Walker, and has three children; Mary, born December 25, 1875, died June 5, 1883; and Nannie L., born November 23, 1879, who resides at home. Mr. Taylor's farm is located in the coal and oil belt and is regarded as one of the most desirable in Wheeling township. He engages in farming and stock raising and has been very successful in both lines. The family is one which has commanded respect and esteem for many years, and Wheeling township has no more useful citizen than James Taylor. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
TERRILL, JOHN W.-- ex-postmaster of Martin's Ferry, Belmont County, is now engaged in newspaper work at No. 512 West Washington street in that city. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, August 28, 1858, a son of George W. and Amanda (Hopkins) Terrill, the former a native of Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, where his birth occurred February 11, 1831, and the latter a native of Florence, Pennsylvania, born May 11, 1837.
Our subject's father was united in marriage with Amanda Hopkins September 24, 1857, and they had eight children, John W. being the eldest. The others were: Walter, now of Homestead, Pennsylvania; Carrie (Mrs. Henry Kries), who resides with our subject's mother; Lida, a saleslady in the store of George E. Stifle, of Wheeling, for many years; George, still single, who resides with his mother and is a glass worker; Mollie, the wife of Irwin McKelvey, a son of A.T. McKelvey; Aldin, living at the old homestead, a steel worker by occupation; and Wilbur, also living at home, timekeeper at the steel works. The father of these children died September 15, 1891, but his widow still survives.
John W. Terrill, our subject, obtained his education in the schools of Covington, Kentucky, and subsequently engaged in work at the rolling mills at Wheeling and Martin's Ferry, and also in Pittsburg, his first position being secured at the last mentioned place. He was in the rolling mills until 1887 and then for some time followed painting, which trade he learned during the time he worked at the mills. After abandoning this, he took up newspaper work, and has continued along journalistic lines to the present time.
In 1890 Mr. Terrill became interested to some extent in politics, and his first office was clerk of Pease township, in which he served two terms - from 1890 until 1894. During President Cleveland's administration he was appointed postmaster of Martin's Ferry, and served from 1894 until 1898, the last two years under President McKinley. Mr. Terrill has always taken an interest in the actions of the Democratic party, with which his preference lies. Since 1898 he has been engaged in painting, and later in newspaper work to the present writing. He was a resident of Wheeling from 1870 until 1880, the date of his removal to Pittsburg, and spent but two years in the latter city before making his home permanently in Martin's Ferry, Ohio.
April 3, 1879, our subject was united in marriage with Margaret McHenry, a daughter of Josiah and Angeline (Coss) McHenry, and a granddaughter of David Coss. The McHenrys are one of the old families of Belmont County, and were contemporary with the Zanes. Mr. McHenry was proprietor of the ferry for years after Mr. Martin had ceased to run it, and was marked as a man of integrity and ability. Mrs. Terrill's father was a native of West Virginia, and was for many years foreman and manager in the mills of Martin's Ferry. His wife was born in that city and both were honored by all in their community. They reared a family of six children, Mrs. Terrill being the eldest child.
Mr. and Mrs. Terrill have been blessed with nine children, namely: Nellie M., still at home; Mary Angie, a clerk in the Post Office; Chester W., a graduate of Parkview School, West Virginia, in the class of 1901; Jennie G.; Walter L., a painter; Percy M., a clerk; John Ross, Lida Marie and Margaret A. Mary Angie became a clerk in the Post Office during her father's term of office there, having just been graduated from the Martin's Ferry High School at the age of 16 years, completing both classical and scientific courses. At the present time she is money order clerk, and is efficient in her work. Walter L. is now engaged in the painting business. Percy M. is now a salesman in one of the stores of Pleasant Valley.
Mrs. Terrill is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the family also attend that church. In fraternal circles Mr. Terrill has passed through all the chairs of the Knights of Pythias organization, and is one of the charter members of Welcome Lodge, A.O.U.W. Both our subject and his wife are widely known and well respected in Belmont County. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
THORBURN, DAVID, a prominent and influential farmer of Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born December 2, 1828, on his present farm in section 31, and has made his home on it all his life, with the exception of eight years, from 1850 to 1858, spent in Colerain township. His home, which is the oldest brick house on Scotch Ridge, is very substantial and since it has been remodeled presents a modern appearance.
David Thorburn is a son of Alexander and Helen (Harper) Thorburn. His father came to this country from Scotland, where he was born, reared and married, being accompanied by his wife and two children, who were born in Dalkeith, Scotland. They arrived at Wheeling, West Virginia, in July or August, 1825, and there Mr. Thorburn followed his trade as a tanner, working for a time with Mr. Gardner, of Wheeling. He moved to Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, in the fall of 1825, and purchased what has since been the home farm, it having been entered by the Alexanders and owned at the time by Peter Alexander. He continued on this farm until 1857, when he sold it to the subject of this biography, and moved to the farm adjoining on the south, now owned by Mr. McGlenn. Remaining there until the spring of 1866, he moved to Adams County, Illinois, where he died in the fall of 1866, at the age of 70 years. He was a Whig, and later a Republican, and was a strong Abolitionist. He was always active in the United Presbyterian Church. His wife was born in Scotland and died on the home farm in 1848, aged 47 years. Their children were: Marion, Elsie, Robert, David, Alexander, Helen, Bethia (Jeffers), and Jeanette (Giddings). Marion, born in Scotland, was the wife of Robert Frazier, and died where Mozart Park is now situated, in Ohio County, West Virginia, in the 46th year of her age. Elsie, who was born in Scotland and died in 1858, was the wife of J.W. Gray. Robert, born on the home farm April 26, 1826, married, first, Miss Moore, and after her death married Miss Stringer. He has five sons and three daughters. He moved west to Missouri when his children were small. David, born on the home farm, was married in 1850 to Sarah S. Gray, daughter of an early resident, John Gray. She died in 1854, and the two children born to them died in infancy. He formed a second union in 1856 with Nancy Jane Edwards, who was born in Belmont County and is a daughter of Louis Edwards, whose father, Ignatius Edwards, came to this county from Virginia. By his second marriage David Thorburn had the following children: Lizzie Helen; Alice Arabella; Martha Alameda, wife of John S. Beatty, of Pease township, residing on the old Finney farm; Ada Harper, John S., and an infant, who are deceased; Lula Jane, wife of Frank Permar, residing near Steubenville; Katie M., Margaret W., and Charles David. Alexander, who served in the 98th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., died soon after the conclusion of the Civil War. Helen, who is the widow of J.F. Godfrey, resides in Illinois. Mrs. Bethia Jeffers, a widow, resides with her family at Mount Pleasant, Ohio. Mrs. Jeanette Giddings resides in Adams County, Illinois. Alexander Thorburn was married a second time, in 1850, to Caroline Godfrey, and they had one son, John Godfrey, who is now deceased.
David Thorburn owns about 102 acres and has finely improved the farm, which he devotes to general farming. During the past two years he has engaged in the dairy business, wholesaling his milk at the farm. Mr. Thorburn has witnessed a wonderful development in the towns of Belmont County. He remembers Martin's Ferry when there were but three business men in town, namely: Amos Jones, dry goods merchant; Miller, the grocer; and Beasle, the tavern keeper. He helped haul the stone used in the foundation for the barn built upon his place when he was 17 years old. Politically, he is a Republican, having voted for Hale, Free-Soil candidate, and John C. Freemont, at one time being the only Republican in the district. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
TIMBERLAKE, JOHN E., a substantial farmer and well-known citizen of Belmont County, which has been his home for many years, was born in Morgan (now Noble) County, Ohio, in August, 1838, a son of Nelson and Hannah (Lyons) Timberlake, the latter of whom was of Pennsylvania birth and of Scotch-Irish ancestry.
Nelson Timberlake was born near St. Clairsville, being a son of William Timberlake, who was a teacher in the night schools of St. Clairsville, in the early days. The mother of Nelson Timberlake was, before marriage, Miss Johnson, and a sister to the well-known Richard M. Johnson. In his earlier years Nelson Timberlake worked in mills and followed a carpenter and wagon-making business, but later purchased a small farm and there died at the comparatively early age of 42 years, when our subject was eight years old, while his wife survived many years, dying in 1884, at the age of 72 years. The children born to these parents were eight in number, two of whom died young. The others were as follows: Warren T., of Virginia; Amanda (Mrs. Clethero), of Nebraska; Alice, a teacher in Iowa, married and later died there; Priscilla died in Noble County; William H. died or was probably killed during the Civil War, having been appointed provost marshal by Governor Fletcher just at the close of the war and was sent on the trail of the James boys and other desperadoes; and John E.
John E. Timberlake attended school in Noble County and assisted the family in early manhood, prior to entering the service of his country. On June 24, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, 25th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and served during the stormiest part of the Civil War, giving three years of his life to the cause and suffering for an entire year from a very serious wound in the arm, received at Chancellorsville. Upon his return, he entered Mount Union College, where he pursued his studies for a time, and then located in Washington township, Belmont County, in 1865, and engaged in farming, an occupation he has successfully pursued ever since. Mr. Timberlake is one of the really good farmers of this locality, practical and progressive, and his fine farm of 140 acres, with its valuable improvements, testifies to his agricultural ability.
Mr. Timberlake married Orpha Adaline Lindsey, who was born in Washington township, Belmont County, October 13, 1848, and was a daughter of George Lindsey, one of the early settlers of this locality. She was the youngest of a large family, and died January 1, 1902. The five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Timberlake were: Florence, the wife of U.G. Conoway of Washington township; Charles E., a graduate of Scio College, an able attorney, now practicing law at Bellaire with the firm of Danford & Danford; Mary O., the wife of Everett E. Workman, a mail carrier at Bellaire; Nannie, the wife of City Attorney Cook Danford, of Bellaire; and H. Estella, who resides with her father. Mr. Timberlake and daughter spend a part of the year at the farm at Crab Apple, and the remainder in Bellaire. In political adherence, Mr. Timberlake has never wavered since casting his vote for President Lincoln, and has served in a number of township offices with the greatest efficiency. He was a charter member of Hess Post, G.A.R., at Armstrong's Mills, of which he is still a member. Mr. Timberlake is well known and as highly esteemed, his reputation being that of a reliable man and representative citizen. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which denomination his wife was also a member. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
TIMMONS, HIRAM D. - superintendent and manager of the Barnesville Gas & Electric Light Company, is an expert electrician and plumber, having attained success by adroit endeavor, close application and by years of constant practice of his vocation. He was born in Cadiz, Harrison County, Ohio, and is past the meridian of life. He is a son of Eli and Sarah (Dickerson) Timmons, who reared a family of seven children.
Eli Timmons was one of the pioneer settlers of Harrison County, Ohio. In early manhood he learned the trade of a carriage maker, which he followed with success up to the time of his death on the 30th of December, 1877. Eli Timmons was born March 16, 1819, and his wife was many years his junior, her birth having occurred September 25, 1830. She is also deceased.
Hiram D. Timmons accompanied his parents to Barnesville when a mere boy. He became apprenticed and learned the plumbing and heating trade under Healy Brothers. He completed his trade in 1879, having mastered all the details of the business. Some time afterward Mr. Timmons accepted a position as traveling representative of Gordan, Stroebel & La Rue, a large Philadelphia firm. He traveled throughout the South for this establishment for a period of three years, and during that time he fitted many factories throughout with machinery, doing all the hydraulic work and steam piping himself. In 1889, he severed his connection with that house and accepted his present lucrative position.
The city of Barnesville was first relieved from darkness December 25, 1874, by the introduction of gas. A company had been previously organized on September 15th, of the same year, and a plant was built a short distance north of the Hilles flouring mill; this plant was erected by B. Van Steinberger of New York City, who was the chief instigator, at the cost of $24,000, and the late Hon. Samuel Hilles was the first superintendent. The city was lighted in this manner until March 15, 1890, when an ordinance was passed by the City Council, whereby it provided for the lighting of the city by electricity. A franchise was granted to the Fort Wayne Electric Lighting Company, of Fort Wayne, Indiana, who furnished incandescent lights to the city for a period of ten years.
In 1900, the Barnesville Gas Company obtained the franchise to furnish lights to the city and an electric plant was added at a cost of $50,000 and the name of the company was changed to the Barnesville Gas & Electric Light Company. The present officers are: J.W. Bradfield, president; J.M. Lewis, vice-president; and F. Hunt, secretary; with Hiram D. Timmons, superintendent and manager. As before mentioned, the latter became connected with the company in 1889 and has the exclusive control of this large plant. He is a thorough electrician and employs four assistants. Under his careful and capable management the plant has given thorough satisfaction. His kind and amiable disposition, coupled with his shrewd business methods, has made hosts of friends for him while working in this capacity.
In fraternal circles he is a member of the Odd Fellows, and in politics he supports the Republican party. His influence is extensive and powerful and he has done much in securing public improvements as well as stimulating private enterprises. The success of the plant with which he is connected is largely due to his unremitting efforts and the manner in which he has surmounted all obstacles and risen to his present place of authority and responsibility from apprenticeship shows his aggressive and energetic nature. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
TOPPER, John M. : Deep in the heart of the Allegheny mountains, in Allegheny township, about one mile from the line dividing Somerset from Bedford county, lies the little borough of New Baltimore. Here, on the old Topper homestead, now within the borough limits, John M. Topper was born. The Topper family came from Virginia and first settled in Bedford county. After a very short residence there they came to New Baltimore. Grandfather Topper later removed to Ohio, where he died. The family were mostly farmers and communicants of the Catholic church. In politics the voters of the family were Democrats. Peter A. Topper, father of John M. Topper, was a man of considerable influence in the community. He was a Democrat and held a number of the township offices. He died November 9, 1865, at the age of fifty-one years. He married Mary A. Lucken, born 1814, died 1893, and had children: Annie, deceased, married William Webber; Mary, widow of Francis Suhie; Elizabeth, deceased, married Luke Brittlebum; Sylvester, deceased; John M., see forward; Ambrose, deceased; Francis, resides in New Baltimore; Rosalie, married Thomas Mattingly, of Cumberland, Maryland; Margaret, widow of John Straub; Joseph, a resident of New Baltimore.
John M. Topper, second son and fifth child of Peter A. and Mary A. (Lucken) Topper, was born September 29, 1844. He grew up on the farm and received such school advantages as the time and place afforded. This he supplemented by study at night until he had acquired a good common education. At the age of seventeen years he had so improved himself that he began teaching in the public schools during the winter months; this he did for six terms. Determining then upon a business life, he opened a general store at Roxbury in partnership with his brother Sylvester. This was continued for three years, when they removed the business to New Baltimore. After one year there, John M. sold out his interest and was out of regular business for about four years. He then bought the general store business of his brother Francis in New Baltimore and retained it until the spring of 1906, when he sold it out to his son, Francis V. In addition to his mercantile interests he associated himself with his brother Sylvester in 1870, and built and operated a distillery near New Baltimore. After ten years of this partnership, he became the sole owner, and in 1880 bought the Suhrie distillery in Stony Creek township. He still owns and operates both plants, making a superior grade of pure rye whisky. His home in New Baltimore is a commodious, modern residence, with beautiful surroundings, and there he is living practically a retired life, having delegated many of the cares and responsibilities of his large business interests to his sons. He has large property interests in different localities and is an extensive land owner. He is a loyal adherent to Democratic principles, and, though having no desire for public office, has been councilman of the borough and member of the school board. He is much interested in educational matters, and has always labored in the cause of advancement and better opportunities for the young. In religion he adheres to the faith of his ancestors, as do all the members of his family.
While engaged in business in Roxbury he met Hattie J. Miller, born and educated in Stony Creek, daughter of Tobias and Margaret (Kimmel) Miller (see sketch of Miller family), whom he married, January 13, 1868, and had children: Francis V., who commenced assisting his father in the store of the latter at the age of ten years and grew up with the business. He became the owner of the same in the spring of 1906. Annie, deceased. Jennie, married James Gardill, yardmaster of the Duquesne Steel Works. They reside in Duquesne, Pennsylvania, and have five children. Emma, deceased. Cecilia, married John F. Werner, a carpenter and builder of New Baltimore. They have four children. Norbert, bookkeeper and traveling salesman in the employ of his father; unmarried. John A., graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1904, and is now a practicing physician in Philadelphia. He married Sarah Butler. Urban, deceased. Gertrude, married Frank Gardill, electrical inspector at the Duquesne Steel Works. The reside in Duquesne, Pennsylvania. Zita, married Frank Ruhe, transfer agent at Duquesne, where they reside. Mark, now (1906) attending the Berlin Normal School. These children all received an excellent education in well known institutions and are thoroughly equipped to fill the various positions they occupy." History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania" Bedford County by E. Howard Blackburn; Somerset County by William H. Welfley; v.3, Pub. The Lewis Publishing Company, New York/Chicago 1906, pg. 121/2
TRUXAL, Cyrus W. : Cyrus W. Truxal, one of Meyersdale's foremost merchants and leading citizens, was born near Greensburg, Westmoreland county, May 14, 1850. He is a son of Elder William Truxal, who was born about 1812. William Truxal was a framer. He was twice married; by his first wife he had two children: Simon P. and Sophia. His second wife was Annie Rugh, and to them were born children, as follows: Albert E., whose sketch appears on another page; Lucinda (Mrs. David B. Fisher), William J., Cyrus W., see forward; Almira C. (Mrs. Mitchel Horn), Jacob R. and Edward F. William Truxal was a member and an elder of the Reformed church. In politics he was a Democrat.
Cyrus W. Truxal received his early education in the common schools of Hempfield and Unity townships, which he attended until 1868. After leaving school he engaged in agriculture until 1875, when he removed to Somerset county and engaged in a general mercantile business with C. A. Walter at Gebharts, Milford township. In the spring of 1881 Mr. Truxal removed to Glade, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the same line of business until 1883, when he located in Meyersdale and opened a retail grocery, which business he still retains. In the spring of 1901, with others, he organized the Second National Bank of Meyersdale and became its first president, an office he still holds. This has been an exceedingly successful institution and ranks as one of the solid financial houses of this section. Mr. Truxal is also president of the Meyersdale Sheet Steel Company and a director in the Mahoning Coal Company, the Somerset Telephone Company, and has large interests in various coal and other enterprises.
While Mr. Truxal is an eminently successful and practical business man, this trait shows only one side of his nature. He is essentially a great reader and a deep thinker. All through his business life he has cultivated his intellectual nature and his well stocked library of metaphysical, theological and scientific books shows the depth of his research and the wide range and scope of his reading. He is well versed in philosophy and in the various sciences, political economy, theology, aesthetics, anthropology and psychology. Although still active in the conduct of his business, Mr. Truxal has thrown off many of its cares and gives more time to his favorite books and subjects of thought. He is a strong debater and delights in friendly controversy with well informed and congenial minds. Mr. Truxal is interested in all subjects pertaining to his city and her betterment and development and can always be found working with those who have this end in view. He is a member of the Reformed church of Meyersdale and is closely identified with the interests of that body. He has represented his church in the county conferences and both his time and purse are largely contributed from. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party.
Mr. Truxal married, May 5, 1877, Martha J., daughter of William Zimmerman, of Somerset county. William Zimmerman was one of the influential men of the northern part of the county. He was a farmer. He was an ardent supporter of the principles of the Republican party. In church fellowship he was of the Reformed faith. Martha J., his daughter and wife of C. W. Truxal, was reared in the same religious faith and has never departed there from. She received her education in the public schools. While a young woman of twenty she became deeply interested in primary Sabbath school work, and in this line of church work she has been engaged for the past thirty-two years. At the present time she has one hundred and seventy-five children under her care in the Sabbath school of the Reformed church of Meyersdale, of which she and her husband are members. Although no children of their own have ever gladdened the home of Mr. and Mrs. Truxal, they have ever been the friends of children and have taken to their hearts and reared three, two of whom were taken from them by death. Mr. Truxal is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Meyersdale." History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania" Bedford County by E. Howard Blackburn; Somerset County by William H. Welfley; v.3, Pub. The Lewis Publishing Company, New York/Chicago 1906, pg. 138-140