YODER, Samuel B. : Samuel B. Yoder, of Berlin, is a representative of a family which was founded in Pennsylvania by Christian Yoder, a native of Switzerland, who emigrated about 1745 to the province of Penn and settled in Berks county. In the spring of 1776 he removed with his family to Bedford, now Somerset county, where he had previously bought a large tract of timber land situated where Pugh now stands, about seven miles east of Somerset, in Stony Creek township. The deed for this property was dated October 9, 1775, the consideration named therein being nine hundred and sixty-eight dollars. There were no roads and the nearest neighbor was five miles distant. There was a small clearing where Christian erected a log house and barn, a picture of which is owned by his great-grandson, Samuel B. Yoder. He then began his battle with the wilderness, wild beasts and occasional Indians. Field after field was cleared and cultivated, until he had one of the largest and best farms in the county. He was a member of the Amish Mennonite church. Christian Yoder married, in Berks county, Barbara Hooley, and they were the parents of fifteen children, namely: Fanny, born in 1753; Barbara, 1756; Christian, 1758; Jacob, 1760; David, 1763; Yost, 1765; Jonathan, 1766; Magdalena, 1769; John, of whom later; Elizabeth, 1774; Solomon 1776; Gertrude, 1778; Jephthah and Esther [twins], 1780; and Henry, 1782. Mrs. Yoder died March 6, 1812, at an advanced age, and Mr. Yoder expired November 20, 1816, being then about ninety years old. Nearly all their children settled in the immediate neighborhood and founded a community known as the Yoder settlement. They all reared large families and lived to advanced ages, and the Yoder settlement was, at that early period, the best cultivated and most prosperous section of the county.
John Yoder, son of Christian and Barbara (Hooley) Yoder, was born February 8, 1772, in Berks county, and was four years old when his parents came to Somerset county. Until his marriage he assisted in clearing the farm, which was then sold to him by his father, the deed being dated July 13, 1796, and the consideration being fourteen hundred and twenty-nine dollars and forty-four cents. In addition to the homestead he acquired a large tract in Cambria county, where the city of Johnstown now stands. This was divided into four farms, which were afterward owned by four of his children, one of these farms being the site of Grand View cemetery, where sixteen hundred and twenty victims of the Johnstown flood are now buried. Part of this tract is now Yoder township, having been named in honor of the family. John Yoder was a Whig and a member of the Amish Mennonite church.
John Yoder married, in 1796, Barbara Yoder, to whom he was in no degree related, and their children were: Salome, wife of John Miller, had ten children, died May 21, 1877, aged eighty. Jonas, married Sarah Schrock, had nine children, accidentally killed June 15, 1860, aged sixty-two. Moses, walked from Pennsylvania through the wilderness to Canada and settled on a tract of timber land twenty miles north of Toronto. He died in Canada, March 26, 1880, at the age of eighty. Daniel, married Kate Kaufman, had four children, died June 24, 1879. Samuel, married Elizabeth Lehman, had nine children, died April 8, 1872, aged sixty-eight. Gertrude, wife of Henry Hershberger, had seven children, died May 11, 1880, aged seventy-five. David, married Sarah Lehman, had seven children, died January 8, 1856, aged fifty. Fanny, wife of Michael Schrock, had three children, died October 23, 1890, aged eighty-three. Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Kaufman, had thirteen children, died May 16, 1865, aged forty-three. Joshua, at twenty-two went to Canada, engaged in McKenzie rebellion, and on defeat of the rebels fled through the forest to Niagara river, where he crossed to New York. thence he went to Ohio and later to Union township, Elkhart county, Indiana, where he took up and patented a large tract of timber land, which he cleared and on which he made his home. He married, Maria Stump, had six children, and died March 28, 1867. Abner, taught in the schools and was a preacher of the Amish church, noted as an eloquent speaker and an able writer, the most gifted and intellectual member of the family. He married Fanny Schrock, had eleven children, and died December 12, 1883, at the age of seventy. Barbara, died in childhood. Benedict, of whom later. Lena, died in childhood. The mother of these children died December 1, 1856, at the age of eighty-one. She was a member of the Amish Mennonite church. Mr. Yoder, the father, died October 4, 1860, having lived eighty-four years on the homestead, and leaving behind him the memory of a religious and conscientious man.
David Yoder, mentioned above, was the father of a son, Tobias Yoder, who served in the Union army during the Civil war. He participated in the fight at Charles City Cross Roads, where he was shot three times through the body and had his shoulder shattered by a charge of buckshot. After lying three days on the battlefield he was found by the enemy, taken to Libby prison and shortly afterward released on parole. He finally found his way into the Union lines, recovered and re-enlisted. Moses Yoder, his brother, served in the Fifty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. His son, John Yoder, served in the Fifty-fourth Regiment and died in a field hospital. Jonas Yoder, son of Samuel, brother of David, served in the Thirty-third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. Benedict Yoder, son of John and Barbara (Yoder) Yoder, was born August 20, 1817, in Stony Creek township, and until his marriage worked for his father. He then bought a tract of timber land two miles west of the homestead and began wresting a farm from the forest. On the night of May 9, 1853, the home he had built caught fire and burned to the ground, no property being saved and the family barely escaping with their lives. Four of the boys, small though they were, saved themselves by jumping from the second-story windows. Mr. Yoder at once began rebuilding and erected the residence which still stands on the farm in which he makes his home. He has always been an ardent Republican and is a member of the Amish church. "Mr. Yoder married, April 24, 1842, Sarah Miller, and their children are: Samuel B., of whom later; Daniel, born May 2, 1845, farmer and merchant in Kansas, married Maggie Yutzy, February 2, 1870, and has two children; Cornelius C., born September 21, 1846, educated in common and normal schools of Somerset county and in Iowa State University; taught four years and then moved to Amish, Iowa, where he engaged in mercantile business; postmaster since 1871 and director in Wallman Savings Bank. He married, September 7, 1873, Margaret Palmer, and they have one child. John M., born November 22, 1847, was a farmer and was killed by a train in Iowa City, Iowa, January 5, 1894. He was a well educated man and had collected material for much of the family history. Mary, born November 21, 1849, at home. Simon T., born May 3, 1851, educated in common and normal schools, and at the age of sixteen began teaching in the schools of Pennsylvania, later removing to Iowa and becoming an instructor in the schools of that state. for ten years he was a merchant in Iowa City, Iowa, and for three years in Haddam, Kansas, where he was postmaster and editor of the 'Haddam Clipper.' He is now cashier of a bank in Washington, Kansas, where for six years he held the office of county clerk. He married Hattie E. Rhoades, who died November 23, 1884, leaving four children. Joseph H., born September 6, 1852, taught in Iowa schools; merchant and postmaster at Haddam; now merchant at Washington, Kansas. He married Tina Shaft and has two children. Sarah, born March 12, 1854, widow of Valentine Lehman, lives in Brothers Valley township, has eight children. Nancy A., born May 1, 1856, wife of Hiram Rhoades, of McPherson, Kansas. Gertrude, born December 9, 1857, at home. Ezra, merchant of Sharon Center, Iowa, postmaster for the last fifteen years; married Jennie Bowman and has two sons. Kate A., born April 13, 1862, wife of N. E. Mostoller, living on the homestead. Florence M., born May 4, 1869, wife of George Mostoller, of Lister, has one child. A daughter, who died at the age of two weeks, was the only member of the family who failed to reach maturity. Mrs. Yoder, the mother of the family, died May 30, 1900, in the seventy-sixth year of her age, having been born November 20, 1824. She was a member of the Amish church and for fifty-eight years was a devoted wife and mother. Benedict Yoder, now in his eighty-ninth year, has never had a day's illness and is as sound and active mentally, as physically, his prolonged vigor being, no doubt, the result of his habits of temperance and healthful toil.
Samuel B. Yoder, son of Benedict and Sarah (Miller) Yoder, was born May 15, 1843, in Stony Creek township, and received his education in the Schrock school. He worked for his father until 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Forty-second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was with his regiment in all its battles until July 1, 1863, when he received at Gettysburg two severe gunshot wounds, one passing through the left arm and the other through the right breast, penetrating the lung and paralyzing the right arm. For six months he lay in the hospital, and in 1864 was honorably discharged from the service. He has no use of his right hand and arm, but has learned to use the left with perfect dexterity. After his return from the war he married, purchased a farm of one hundred acres, and, as well as his weakened condition would allow, directed the agricultural labors for thirteen years. At the end of that time, in consequence of ill health, he sold the property, and after taking two years for recuperation obtained a position as salesman for the Susquehanna Fertilizer Company, selling to the farmers of Somerset and part of Cambria county. This position he retained twelve years and in 1894 was appointed postmaster of Pugh, where he conducted a grocery store in connection with the post office. The property of twenty acres on which he now lives was purchased in 1883, and he has built thereon a pleasant home and made other improvements. January 14, 1905, he resigned the office of postmaster. For three years he served as assessor of Stony Creek township, and for the same length of time was jury commissioner of Somerset county. He belongs to Post No. 210, G.A.R., of Somerset, and is a Republican in politics. He and his wife are members of the Mennonite church.
Mr. Yoder married, June 8, 1865, Catharine Mummau, and they have been the parents of the following children: Lizzie, born January 15, 1866, married, July [sic] 1, 1886, Alexander Hunter, of Shanksville, has four children, Mabel, Nannie, Kate and Morton. Saide, born March 2, 1869, married, December 6, 1888, E. L. Coleman, of Shanksville. Margaret, born December 13, 1871, died October 29, 1882. Harvey G., born October 12, 1874, farmer, living with his father; married, June 27, 1895, Emma Walker, who had two children, Fred W., born October 3, 1895, and Russel S., December 16, 1899. After the death of his wife he married, June 5, 1902, Abbie Miller. John H., born January 25, 1879, died October 25, 1882. Annie K., born March 11, 1881, died October 27, 1882. Mrs. Yoder is a daughter of Jacob Mummau, who was born in 1814, and married, October 1, 1837, Elizabeth Miller, born August 17, 1819. The following were their children: Edward; Annie; John, killed in one of the battles of the Civil war; Maria; Catharine, born May 15, 1843, educated at Glade school, wife of Samuel B. Yoder; Caroline; and Sarah. Jacob Mummau died February 2, 1887, and the death of his widow occurred October 23, 1889." History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania" Bedford County by E. Howard Blackburn; Somerset County by William H. Welfley; v.3, Pub. The Lewis Publishing Company, New York/Chicago 1906, pg. 116-121
YOUNG, JOHN - a well-known and successful fruit grower of Pease township, Belmont County, is a native of Germany, a country which has given Ohio many of her most valued citizens.
Mr. Young was born in 1831, and he is a son of Jacob Young, who was also a native of Bavaria, Germany, and who brought his family to the United States in the fall of 1836. The voyage was made in a sailing vessel and 40 days were passed on the Atlantic Ocean. The family located at Wheeling where Jacob Young found work at his trade of blacksmith, and also in the coal mines, until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he became a member of the 77th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and participated in the siege of Vicksburg. He died several years ago, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. The mother of our subject was a daughter of Frederick Kerner, who died at the home of Mr. Young, at the age of 89 years. Mrs. Jacob Young died June 13, 1885, at the age of 80 years.
John Young was the only child born to his parents and was given excellent educational advantages in the German schools, but had little opportunity to learn the English language. While still a lad, he earned 12½ cents a day, hoeing corn for Governor Sharnick, who resided south of Wheeling on Carval's Run. About 1849 he entered the Top Mill at Wheeling and was one of the workmen there employed in making the wire which was used to build the old suspension bridge across the Ohio, from Wheeling to the Island. At the opening of the La Belle Mill he secured work there and remained until 1859, removing then to Pease township, Belmont County. In 1863 he was able to purchase his present home farm of about 60 acres, and since that time has made many substantial improvements on the place, erecting fine buildings and turning his land into a fruit farm. Here Mr. Young can show some of the finest grapes grown in this part of the State, his vineyard covering two and one-half acres, and its productiveness enabling him to sell more than 10 tons of fruit a season. Other specialties are strawberries and raspberries. His careful culture and thorough knowledge of varieties and soils make these fruits very profitable.
On February 22, 1852, Mr. Young married Margaret Meal, a native of Strasburg, Alsace, France, who died some years since, leaving the following children: Lizzie, who is the wife of Frederick Adolphs, resides on the Cadiz Pike; Albert, who married Margaret, a daughter of William Neelan, also resides along this pike, and is employed in the Aetna-Standard Mill; Lena, who married Charles Adolphs, resides at Bridgeport; and Catherine, who married George Meister, who is the leader of the famous Meister Band, of Bridgeport. The second marriage of Mr. Young was to Barbara Miller, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, but who has lived for 42 years in the United States.
Mr. Young has been a faithful and enthusiastic Republican since he cast his first vote for John C. Fremont, in Ritchie township, Wheeling, at a time when it was a dangerous policy to speak in favor of the principles of the Republican party. Mr. Young was one of the eight men who were brave enough to vote as they deemed right. He is a man of admirable judgment and strict integrity, and has capably filled the position of supervisor of his township for about 10 years. His religious membership is in the German Lutheran Church. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows, of Bridgeport. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
YOST, MILTON : a prominent agriculturist of Colerain township, and a descendant of an old and influential family, was born and raised in Harrison county, Ohio, the son of John and Mary (Wilson) Yost. The father was born near Winchester, W. Va.; his father, Michael Yost, was born November 3, 1766, died in January, 1865, was the son of John Yost, a native of Germany, who first settled in Chester county, Penn., from there going to Frederick county, Va., now W. Va. Mary (Wilson) Yost was born in New Jersey, the daughter of John and Sarah (Atkinson) Wilson. John Wilson was born in New Jersey, the son of Alexander and Nancy (Kennard) Wilson. Alexander was an Irishman by birth. To John and Sarah Wilson five children were born, named: Charles, George, William, Mary and Sarah. They all reared families. Charles had one child: William C. George was the father of four children: Charles, Sarah, George and Jane; Mary had four children: Rachel Ann, John W., Lemuel A. and Milton; Sarah was the mother of three children: Emily, John W. and Catherine. Michael Yost was the father of the following named children: John, Elizabeth, Fannie, Elisha, Isaac, Hannah, Mary, Elias, Elijah, Sarah and Margaret. John Yost emigrated to Ohio, in May, 1806, and settled in Harrison county, where he remained until his death. He was prominently identified with the educational and general improvement movements of the county, having served for two terms as a county commissioner, and was a representative member of the whig party. When the family moved to Ohio they bought land which was at that time in its natural state. From this they made fine farms and became prominent in agricultural circles. Milton Yost received a common school education, and in October, 1874, was united in marriage to Ellen C. Hall, daughter of David and Amy (Smith) Hall. David was the son of Thomas and Mary (Patterson) Hall. To Milton and Ellen Yost seven children have been born: Mary Rachel, Sarah Amy, Edith Lora, Myra Kate, Florence Wilson, Clara C. and Frederick Michael. Mr. Yost came to Belmont county in 1886, and located where he now lives. His farm, consisting of 106 acres of land, is one of the most improved farming properties in the county. It is finely stocked, and under the highest state of cultivation. Mr. Yost makes a specialty of the dairy business. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890.
Young, John F. : John F. Young, an enterprising farmer of Richland township, was born inMorgan county, Ohio, November 14, 1842. His father, James Young, was born in Pennsylvania, in December, 1813, and came to Ohio with his parentswhen nine years of age. James grew to manhood on the farm of his parents,John and Catherine Young, of German descent, and was then married toLydia A. Hulse. After this event he and his wife moved to Morgan county,where they remained ten years. Subsequently he returned to Pennsylvania,where he died in 1880. John F. Young, in 1862, when twenty years of age,responded to the call of his country, and enlisted in Company F, FiftiethOhio volunteer regiment. He served gallantly until his honorable discharge,in July, 1865, at Camp Dennison, Cincinnati. He served with his command inall its engagements, and was in the field continually, except about fourmonths, when disease and accident compelled him to remain in a hospital. On returning home he determined to apply himself, first to obtaining agood education, and entered Washington and Jefferson college in 1865,where he was graduated in 1868, in the scientific course. He then turned his attention to the profession of law, and read law for three years in the office of Alexis Cope, being admitted to the bar of Belmont county in 1870. From 1870 to 1872 he taught in the country schools to aid him in his progress, and in the latter year he began the practice at Bellaire. He was admitted to the bars of West Virginia and Kentucky, and had good success in his chosen calling until 1877, when he retired from the same. In December, 1877, he was married to Mary, daughter of Amos and Charity Fawcett, elsewhere mentioned, and in the same year Mr. Young removed to the old homestead farm where he now resides, a place of 130 acres, handsomely improved, where he enjoys a comfortable and happy home. He is one of the influential men of the county. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890.
ZINK, H.J. - a prosperous merchant of Powhatan, has been a resident of the town for a period of 27 years.
Mr. Zink was born in Monroe County, Ohio, and was 15 years of age when, in 1875, he came to Powhatan as clerk in his brother's store. His brother, Edward Zink, has located here some 10 years previously, being the oldest merchant in Powhatan, and conducted a large and prosperous store. H.J. Zink was clerk for his brother for a period of 15 years, then leased his present building for a period of three years, placing in it a complete stock of general merchandise. His business thrived, and at the end of the three years he purchased the building, in which he has since been located. He carries a large stock of everything, which goes to make up a stock, invoicing at from $10,000 to $12,000, and each year has witnessed a large increase over the previous year in the amount of business transacted. Mr. Zink is a thoroughly up-to-date, wide-awake and energetic business man, and his great success has been due to his own efforts alone. He has a two-story building, the dimensions of which are 44 by 65 feet, and it is divided into four large rooms. He has a force of three assistants the year around. About 1898 he opened a branch store at Moundsville, West Virginia, where he carries a stock valued at from $7,000 to $10,000.
Mr. Zink was joined in marriage with Amelia Ramser, of Monroe County, Ohio, and they have two children, Helen and Frederick. He recently erected a very comfortable home on Second street, in which he lives with his family. Our subject is a staunch Democrat in politics, and has served as treasurer of York township for the past 10 years or more. Religiously, he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ZURCHAR, ALBERT - a well-known farmer of Washington township, residing on the William Hendershot farm, which he owns, has been a resident of Belmont County since 1898. He was born March 29, 1844, in Canton Bern, Switzerland, and is a son of Albert and Margaretta (Spring) Zurchar, who never came to this country. He is an only son and has six sisters, four of whom live in Switzerland.
Albert Zurchar was educated in the good common schools of his native land and also learned the trade of cheese-maker, which he followed several years. In the fall of 1866 he came to America, locating in Ohio township, Monroe County, O., where he resided some years. He then lived in Wetzel County, West Virginia, for 11 years, at the end of which period he returned to Monroe County, Ohio, where he purchased a farm. He continued there until he sold his farm in 1898, when he came to Washington township, Belmont County, purchasing the William Hendershot place. Here he has a farm of 140 acres, which he devotes mainly to stock raising. He has a good stock, preferring Durham and Jersey cows, and contemplates the manufacture of the famous Schweitzer-kase, for which he would find a ready sale.
Mr. Zurchar was first married to Mary Rief, who is deceased. He then married his present wife, Louisa Yost, who was born in Washington township and is a daughter of Jacob Yost, who is of an old family of this section. Two children have blessed this union, Adelia and Charles. In politics our subject is Democratic on national issues, but independent in local affairs. In religious views he is a Lutheran, but attends the Christian Church. Mr. Zurchar is a self-made man in all that term implies, and during his residence of but four years in this community has won innumerable friends, who admire him for his excellent traits of character. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]