BAILEY, ALLEN, a progressive farmer and dairyman, of Warren township, Belmont County, Ohio, is also one of the county's most substantial and reliable citizens, highly esteemed for his integrity wherever known.
The birth of Allen Bailey took place on June 11, 1859, in Goshen township, Belmont County, one of the seven children born to Jesse and Asenath (Patterson) Bailey, three of whom still survive. Our subject was reared and educated in Goshen township and still owns a valuable farm of 100 acres in that township. Since 1889 he has resided in Warren township and here owns a farm of 150 acres, devoting much attention to dairying interests, in connection with extensive farming.
The marriage of Mr. Bailey took place in 1880, to Eva L. Patterson, a daughter of David Patterson, a carpenter by trade, and a member of one of the highly respected county families. The children born to this marriage are: Ethel E., Clifford J., Ernest D., Edna A., Mary A., Dorothy and George Wilson. Our subject and family are all members of the Society of Friends. For several years Mr. Bailey has served on the School Board, and belongs to the Grange, taking a deep interest in the movement. His political opinions make his vote an independent one, bound by no party tie. His Warren township farm is the one formerly owned by Hon. William Bundy, and is known to be one of the most valuable in this part of the county. Mr. Bailey, as previously mentioned, is a man who is held in the highest esteem, and has a wide circle of friends. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BAILEY, LINDLEY P., The dairy interests are important ones in Belmont County, Ohio, where natural conditions are so favorable to success, and intelligent operators engage in the industry. Dairies and creameries are found in every township, but very few of them reach the high standard demanded by the critical and fastidious public. The Belmont Stock Farm Dairy fulfills every condition and is owned and operated by Lindley P. Bailey, a prominent dairyman, who is also well known as a breeder of fine, Jersey cattle, and who is the able president of the Ohio Dairymen's Association.
The birth of Mr. Bailey occurred on March 8, 1850, in Goshen township, Belmont County, one of seven children born to Jesse and Asenath (Patterson) Bailey, three of whom survive. Jesse Bailey was also born in Belmont County, a son of Jesse, who was a native of North Carolina. The Bailey family has been noted for its agricultural success and its members have belonged to Belmont County's best class of citizens. Jesse Bailey spent his whole life as a farmer and reaped ample results from his excellent methods and intelligent management. In the country schools of his locality, Mr. Bailey was given his elementary education, which was supplemented by attendance at the Friends' Boarding School, at Mt. Pleasant, Ohio. After seven years devoted to teaching, during which time he gave much intelligent attention to agricultural matters, Mr. Bailey decided to follow the family vocation and become a farmer. After making a successful trial on rented land, he went into debt for a tract of 66 acres of good land, gave it close attention, put into practice modern methods, and prospered from the very first, gradually adding to his possessions until he now owns 240 acres of choice Belmont County land, with excellent improvements and fine, modern buildings.
In 1881 Mr. Bailey made his first experiment with Jersey cattle, trading a threshing machine for his first herd, and has succeeded far beyond the average, although he has met with some reverses, as is the case in almost every kind of business, in 1885, losing about $3,000 in shipping. In 1888 he erected his present creamery, at a cost of $1,000, and this establishment has gained a wide reputation for the quality of its products, manufactured under the careful eye of its owner, with the assistance of one expert and four helpers. Between 60 and 70 head of cows contribute the milk supply. Believing in the advantages that accrue from concentration of effort, Mr. Bailey has devoted most of his energies, in the past 20 years, to the development and improvement of Jersey cattle and to securing excellence in dairy products, and it is his opinion that the future of satisfactory dairying lies entirely in intelligent education in this line. He would have this improvement begin in the stable and continue until the finished product is served to the public, and believes that then and only then, will the public know the perfection which may be attained. Most necessary adjuncts are cleanliness, intelligence and honesty, in combination with the modern machinery which must be in use wherever quality is a necessity to success. In his own establishment, Mr. Bailey has spared no expense, has placed expensive machines with skilled labor, and the patrons of the Belmont Stock Farm Dairy may feel assured that its milk has been Pasteurized and rendered wholly healthful and of the finest flavor. Mr. Bailey obtains a large supply of his milk from his own carefully attended herd and those of his neighbors who comply with the sanitary requirements demanded, and care and feed their cows as science has determined will produce healthful milk. The large product of this creamery, during the winter season, all goes to the McJunkin Straight Dairy Co., of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, who are extensive retailers, supplying the leading families of that city.
Mr. Bailey has been so prominently identified with the dairy interests of Ohio, that scarcely any leading organization or journal has failed to give him credit. Prior to becoming president of the Ohio Dairymen's Association, he served as secretary and treasurer for a long period, and in 1898 was made special dairy inspector of the State under J.E. Blackburn and Governor Bushnell. In 1893 he was made a director in the American Jersey Cattle Club, few men in the county or State having a more complete and exhaustive knowledge of Jersey cattle. In 1896 Mr. Bailey held his last annual sale of Jersey cattle, this being the ninth occasion. The Belmont Stock Farm is located one and one-half miles from Barnesville, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and these sales were always largely attended, dealers realizing that here could be obtained superior cattle, and having every assurance that only honest methods would be employed in their disposal. It has been our subject's aim to produce a dairy animal, which, by proper and careful attention, will produce the greatest yield of milk and butter, while adding nothing to its expense. This is practical.
In July, 1871, Mr. Bailey was united in marriage with Elizabeth Stanton, daughter of Joseph Stanton, of Belmont County, and six children were born to this union, namely: Edwin M., Oscar J., Anna M., Alva C., Clara and Jesse S. Edwin M. married Lillian Doudna, a daughter of J.W. Doudna, and operates a modern creamery at Pittsburg. Oscar J. married Mary A. Bracken, daughter of Lindley Bracken, of Belmont County, and conducts a creamery business in Wheeling, West Virginia. Anna M. married Clarence Patton, of Iowa. Alva C. married Laura Steer, a daughter of Nathan Steer and in association with his father conducts a dairy business at Spencer. Although Mr. Bailey did nothing to influence his sons in their choice of career, when the choice was made, he assisted them in thoroughly perfecting themselves in the details of the business, sending two of them to the dairy school conducted at Madison, Wisconsin, and the third to a similar school in Ohio. The family belongs to the Society of Friends, and all its members are thoroughly respected members of the community. In political association, Mr. Bailey is a Republican, but has never consented to accept any office except that of school director, although particularly well fitted to discharge the duties of almost any office. His large business enterprises and his absorption in his business, whereby he has attained such success, have precluded activity in other lines. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BAILEY, SILAS, one of the large farmers and successful stock raisers of Belmont County, Ohio, belongs to one of the old-settled families of the county, one whose members have been among the prominent citizens for many years.
Silas Bailey was born in 1839 in Warren township, Belmont County, a son of Jesse, who was born in 1814 in Warren township and died in 1898, aged 84 years. He was a son of Jesse Bailey, who came as a pioneer from North Carolina and located in Warren township, taking up land on which both he and his son Jesse followed farming. The mother of our subject was Asenath Patterson, born in 1818 in Warren township, a daughter of Silas and Rachel (Starbuck) Patterson, who had migrated to Belmont County at an early day from Loudoun County, Virginia, and settled in Goshen township. The names of the brothers and sisters of the father were: Edmund, Uriah, Mary and Matilda, and on the maternal side they were: George, Nathan and Elizabeth, the last named dying at the age of 87 years in 1901. Silas is the eldest of his parents' children, the others being: John, deceased; L.P.; Sarah Elizabeth, who died in young womanhood; Allen; Jane, who died young, and an infant deceased.
At the age of 12 years Mr. Bailey left Warren township and ever since has lived in Goshen township, securing his education in the public schools. When he reached maturity he located on a farm near his present home and for 15 years was very actively and successfully engaged in the buying, selling and raising of stock, handling a very large amount annually. His well-improved farm of 240 acres is located three and one-half miles southeast of Barnesville, and he devotes it principally to stock and he has much more than a local reputation for fine specimens.
Mr. Bailey is a staunch Republican and has been quite prominent in the political movements of his party in Belmont County, and has been the efficient holder of a number of the responsible offices. In 1890 he was made land appraiser, and in January, 1891, he was elected county commissioner, receiving 2,750 majority in the election, the largest ever received by any candidate. He held the office for six years and nine months, until September 20, 1898, giving his undivided attention to it during this time.
In 1863 Mr. Bailey was married to Ann Elizabeth Bolon, born in 1843 in Belmont County, a daughter of Stephen G. Bolon, one of the early settlers. The children born to this union were: Sarah Olive married William Boyd, a farmer of Warren township; Cora married F.D. Howell, of Barnesville, mail agent between Wheeling and Chicago, and they have two children, Doris and Raymond; Lemuel L., a resident of Warren township, married Barbara Emerson and they have children - Willard and James; Delbert assists his father and resides at home; Ross resides on the old homestead of Jesse Bailey, in Goshen township, married Hattie Bingham, and they have children - Helen and Mildred; Campsie has been a teacher for the past five years and is now teaching in Barnesville, Ohio; Nora has been a teacher for the past three years; Dallas S., who is a student in telegraphy at Oberlin College; and Agnes and Franklin, who are deceased.
Mr. Bailey is liberal in his religious views, but was reared a Friend. He is a man of most genial presence, frank and hospitable, and enjoys public esteem. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BARLOW, WILLIAM H. -- proprietor of the Barnesville Cigar Company, is one of the leading business men of Barnesville. Ohio, having been identified with a number of its industries, and an important factor in the development of the city's resources. He is a son of Amos and Martha (Hunt) Barlow. Amos Barlow is one of the old representative, business men of Barnesville, who is spending his declining years in comfortable retirement.
William H Barlow acquired a good, common-school education, and at the age of 25 years embarked in the box manufacturing business, in which he continued until 1898. At that time he engaged in the cigar business, but retained his interest in the box concern until 1902, when he disposed of it to his brother-in-law, Mr. Wise. That business is now conducted under the firm style of Wise & Dewees. The Barnesville Cigar Company is the largest institution of its kind in the city and one of the largest in the county. Mr. Barlow carries a stock worth $10,000, and manufactures high grade stogies, mould, hand made, long filler. Havana seed and Little Dutch cigars, pouch goods and private brands. In connection with the manufacturing plant, Mr. Barlow has a retail store. He conducts the business on lines which have gained both the custom of the public ami the confidence of the trade. In 1902 he opened up a first-class fancy grocery, in partnership with N. W. Bastain. This enterprise also promises to be a success, under the able management of Mr. Barlow.
On December 23,1898, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Bertha Moore, the acomplished daughter of Samuel Moore, of Barnesville, and one bright, little son, Arthur, has been born to their union. Mr. Barlow and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Church, and are prominent in social circles. Politically, the former affiliates with the Republican party, while his fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows, of Barnesville, and the Elks, Lodge No. 28, of Wheeling. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
BARNES, JOSEPH -- a prosperous farmer of Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born on his present home farm, September 1, 1830, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Kennard) Barnes.
Joseph Barnes, the father, was born in Maryland and was a son of John Barnes, who came to Belmont County early in the 19th century and located on the home farm, which was then wild government land. He built the brick part of the present home, and a most substantial log barn, which was unfortunately destroyed by a fire in June, 1902, having been in continuous use. The grandfather died before the birth of our subject, and the father died when our subject was nine years old. Mary Kennard, wife of Joseph Barnes, Sr., was born and reared in Maryland and died in the "fifties." Seven children were born to them, three sons and four daughters, of which number two died young. They were as follows: Joseph; J.W., a retired shoe merchant of Iowa City, Iowa; Mina M., who married Samuel Berry, has been dead many years; Lucinda, who died at Loydsville, Belmont County, was wife of Samuel Vickers, deceased; Elizabeth died in her teens; Mary died in infancy, and Levi K., who died in 1892. The last named resided on a farm with our subject, owning it jointly. Levi K. Barnes married Elizabeth Dungan, of Harrison County, Ohio, and she lives on the farm with her family of six children. Her children are: Mary Ella, widow of J.W. Fowler, of Martin's Ferry; Margaret D., who married J. Ross Pickens and lives in Denver, Colorado; Ulysses G., who resides on the farm, married Elizabeth Pickens; Jessie V., and Ada L.
Joseph Barnes has never been married. He and his brother originally owned 154 acres, and to this he has added 12½ acres, all of which is devoted to general farming. He is a staunch Republican in politics. He was reared as a member of the Society of Friends, but now is a Presbyterian. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BARTON, W.S. -- a very prominent and most highly esteemed citizen of Colerain township, located on section 4, was born on the old Barton homestead in Belmont County on November 12, 1842, a son of Judge Jesse and Catherine (Mulvaney) Barton.
Judge Jesse Barton, for many years an honored magistrate in Belmont County, was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, on the site which is now occupied by the city of Chester, on Christmas Day, 1804, and came to Belmont County in 1814. He became prominent in both agricultural and political life, and under the old law served as judge from 1844 to 1852, and also served a term of three years as county commissioner. He was the active Democratic leader in Colerain township, and was known all over the county and through the State. His death occurred on August 3, 1887, and his burial was conducted by the Belmont Lodge, F. & A.M., of which he had long been a valued member. His remains lie in the old family cemetery on his farm. He was also active in religious matters, was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian Church at Farmington, and for many years was one of the elders of that body. In 1827 he married Catherine Mulvaney, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1804, and died in February, 1846, aged about 42 years. A family of 12 children were born to Judge Barton and wife, as follows: Abner, John P., James, Abram, Robert, William J., W.S., Nathaniel, Andrew P., Elizabeth, Sarah and Mary. Abner Barton was born January 5, 1828, and died at Gold Valley, Butte County, California, on June 14, 1894, aged 64 years. He was a member of Governor Shannon's party that sailed around Cape Horn in 1848-49 and arrived in San Francisco when but a few houses marked what now is a great and flourishing city. He engaged in mining and ranching. John P. Barton died March 20, 1890, in his 61st year. James Barton resides in Nebraska. Abram Barton was killed near Harrisville, Ohio, being thrown against a tree by an unmanageable horse. He was a successful teacher. Robert Barton resides on the old homestead. He is a jeweler by trade and was associated with Mr. Bishop, in Wheeling, for a number of years, but has been on the farm for the past 25 years, and with his resides his brother, William. Nathaniel Barton died in 1847, a child of four years, and Andrew P. died in 1846, at the age of three months. Elizabeth Hannah was born January 24, 1836, and died September 2, 1888. She married J.W. Moore and left two sons, Jesse and Robert W., the former of whom is a conductor on the Pan Handle road and the latter occupies a similar position on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. She had many friends who deeply mourned her death, an amiable spirit and kind, Christian disposition making her a universal favorite. In her religious life she became attached to the Congregational Church. Sarah is the widow of Eli Seibert and resides at Harrisville, Ohio. Catherine Mary died December 7, 1870, aged 31 years.
Our subject was educated primarily at the home public schools and completed his education in Philadelphia, after which he joined the geological survey, connected with General McGee, chief government officer, who was establishing the boundaries now accepted as those of the State of Colorado, which occupied three years. He then went to Arkansas and became connected with the Iron Mountain, Little Rock & Fort Smith Railroad, and was employed as assistant division engineer in the construction of those roads. He operated the first train ever run along the Arkansas Valley. Five adventurous and useful years were passed by Mr. Barton in that locality. About 1873 he returned to Belmont County and soon became interested in farming, and has followed agricultural pursuits ever since. He has become one of the prominent, worthy and substantial farmers of the county. With his brothers he owns the land on which the town of Barton stands, which now possesses in the neighborhood of 2,000 residents, is a most excellent coal mining point, the mines being operated by different companies of Pittsburg. The town was named in memory of our subject's father, by C.L. & W. Railway Company, when it was first built.
Mr. Barton is well known as a Democratic politician, and wields a wide influence in favor of his party. However, although he may have many political antagonists, there are none to assail his personal character, for few citizens are more generally esteemed.
The first marriage of Mr. Barton was to Rebecca J. Hawthorn, a daughter of David and Margaret (Majors) Hawthorn, on October 15, 1874, and to this union was born one daughter, Mabel H., who is a nurse in the Wheeling Hospital. Her mother died December 21, 1876, at the early age of 24 years. Since her 15th year she has been a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, and was noted for her modesty and her amiable, unselfish disposition. The second marriage of Mr. Barton took place March 6, 1884, to Jennie Cope, a lady of culture and pleasing presence, and a favorite among a large circle of acquaintances. She was born in Ohio, a daughter of George and Sallie (Massey) Cope, the former of whom died in 1875, at the age of 55 years, and the latter in 1846, at the age of 48 years. The father belonged to the Hicksite Friends, and the mother to the Presbyterian Church. They reared a family of seven children, as follows: Alexis, who resides in East Liverpool, Ohio; Charles, who resides in Sacramento, California; Mrs. Barton, the wife of the subject of this sketch; Albert, who resides near Sacramento; Oliver, who lives in San Francisco; Belle, who married Samuel P. Vickars, of Colerain; and Carrie, who is Mrs. Morris P. Vickars, of the same locality. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Barton were the following: Robert C., Flora Blanche, Jessie M., Beatrice, and Charles H. Robert C. Barton was born on New Year's Day, 1886. Flora Blanche was born March 20, 1887, and died November 23, 1891, of membranous croup, her death casting a deep shadow over the lives of those who survived. Jessie M. was born August 10, 1888, Beatrice on August 13, 1893, and Charles H. on January 9, 1896.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Barton take a most commendable interest not only in their own family and its welfare, but also in the neighborhood, and seem to feel a kindly interest in all with whom they are thrown. For years their hospitable home has been a favorite rendezvous for the young people, and here Mr. and Mrs. Barton are as young as the rest, their sympathy with youth and enjoyment of the innocent pleasures making them not only delightful hosts, but also exerting a refining influence upon all. Esteem does not properly represent the feeling entertained for these good people in their neighborhood, for it is a combination of affection and reverence.
The Barton family is of old and honorable ancestry. Its founder, Thomas Barton, came to America from the north of Ireland as early as the beginning of the 18th century. His life has been a seafaring one, commanding his own ship, but he left the water and settled on a farm in the vicinity of Chester, Pennsylvania. Thomas and wife, Sarah, were interred in the Barton Cemetery in Chester. This Thomas Barton was our subject's great-great-great grandfather. His son, Edward Barton, was born in 1729 and died in 1806. He married Mary Archer, a native of Sweden, and they are both buried at Chester. James Barton owned a tract comprising of 700 acres of land in the vicinity of the town of Chester. Of his son, James Barton (2), but little is known, except that he had a son, Abner, who became our subject's grandfather. Abner Barton came to Belmont County, Ohio, in the early part of the 19th century, and his farm was the one which required the first deed recorded in Belmont County, and the record may still be read, on page 1, volume A, its location being described as a part of section 24 and a part of section 19, in Colerain township, Belmont County. Abner Barton died December 26, 1827, at the age of 70 years. His wife, Sarah Pyle, survived until April 27, 1865, lacking but a few days of completing a century of life. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BAUER, CLARENCE E. a director of the Novelty Stamping Company and for the past eight years superintendent of the stamping department of this successful plant, has been a resident of Bellaire since 1873, in which city he was educated.
The birth of Mr. Bauer occurred in 1862 in Virginia, and during his early youth with his parents he resided at different towns in the Ohio Valley. His family and kindred are not very numerous, but he has two brothers and one sister residing at Bellaire. Since 1874 he has been interested in the stamping business, having at that date entered the employ of the old Bellaire Stamping Works, to which the Novelty plant succeeded. The stamping department, which is immediately under his supervision, is one of the most important in the business, and forty men and large amount of valuable machinery is in his charge, it being his business to see that they work in unison, with the greatest amount of accuracy and perfection, and with the least amount of expense. To successfully do this requires a man of certain talents, and these Mr. Bauer possesses.
The family resides at No. 3628 Harrison street. His political affiliation is with the Republican party, although merely as a supporter, not as an office seeker. He is justly regarded as one of the enterprising business men of the city, and the plant with which he is associated is widely known for its excellent products. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BEATTY, A. WILLIAM
A. WILLIAM BEATTY is the leading dealer in boots, shoes and gents' furnishing goods, of Flushing. Mr. Beatty is a son of William H. and Mary (Miller) Beatty, who are the parents of the following named children: Tecumseh S., a blacksmith by trade; A. William, Charles L., a professor in the New Orleans Commercial college; Dora, John O., Frank C. and Birdie. William H. Beatty came with his father's family to Ohio in 1835, his wife was a daughter of John and Mary Miller, Mary was born and raised in Harrison county, Ohio, while her parents were of German parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Beatty were members of the Presbyterian church of Stillwater, and Mr. Beatty was an elder in the same for many years, being one of the leading men in the church, but is now a member of the Nottingham Presbyterian church. His wife dying August 22, 1879, in her thirty-fourth year, Mr. Beatty some time after took to himself in marriage, Margaret McCleary, by whom he has had one child: Fannie. Mr. Beatty was for several terms trustee of Flushing township. He enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-fifth Ohio volunteer Infantry, under Capt. Bell, and serving with the true purpose of a patriot he received his honorable discharge from service in June, 1865. He is a member of the Mitchell-Bethel post of the G. A. R. He has a farm of 120 acres in the highest state of cultivation, and is very successful in all his enterprises. A. William Beatty spent his boyhood on his father's farm, acquiring a good education, having graduated from the Delaware Business college at Delaware, Ohio, he taught for some time in the public schools. Receiving a call from the New Orleans Business college, he spent one year in that college as superintendent of the commercial and penmanship department, and assistant principal of the mathematical
department. Retiring from the vocation of teacher, he returned home and engaged in the business in which he still continues, having met with the most gratifying success, being recognized as one of the leading business men of the county in his line. Mr. Beatty married Miss Laura Lafferty, July 11, 1889. She was a daughter of Joseph and Mary Lafferty. The former was an old settler of Harrison county, he died March 29, 1886; the mother is still living. Mr. Beatty is a member of Moorefield lodge of Knights of Pythias, also of the order of the Sons of Veterans, Camp No. 290. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890.
BEEGHLEY, Peter : an old and highly respected resident of Beachdale, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, was there born March 3, 1824, son of Jacob K. and Catherine (Blucher) Beeghley. His grandfather, Joseph Beeghley, was a son of Michael Beeghley, who came to this country from Germany in company with his five brothers, Joseph, Jacob, John, Abraham, and Michael. Jacob K. Beeghley (father) was born near Beachdale in 1796, on his father's farm, which he subsequently purchased. Jacob was always a tiller of the soil, and meet with good success in this line. In politics he was a Whig, and served as county supervisor. He had some skill in medicine and practiced considerably among his neighbors. In religious faith he was a member of the German Baptist church. He was married three times: First, in 1820, to Catherine Blucher, who was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and received her education in the public schools. She, also, was a devout member of the German Baptist church. Of this union five children were born, three boys and two girls, among them being Peter, of whom later. After the death of his first wife, which occurred in 1829, Jacob K. Beeghley married Nancy Bolen, who bore him two boys, and who died in 1843. He then married Polly Schrock, of Somerset county, and of this union there were no children. Mr. Beeghley died in 1856, at the age of sixty years. At an early age young Peter Beeghley was called upon to assist with the farm work, and received such schooling as the common schools of that day afforded. When he was twenty-three years of age he bought the home farm from his father, and has since engaged in the cultivation and improvement of same. He has devoted his attention largely to the raising of a good grade of livestock, horses, cows and sheep, in which he has met with the most gratifying success. He is a very progressive and intelligent farmer, being prompt to adopt all modern farm machinery as soon as placed on the market, and was among the first men in the county to use a mower drawn by horses. Mr. Beeghley takes great pride in the farm that his grandfather and father in turn owned, and even now, at the advanced age of eighty-two, may be seen daily doing his share in the farm work. He is in excellent health and remarkably well preserved for a man of his years. In political relations he has always been an ardent Republican, and has served his township as school director. He aided substantially in building the branch railroad from Garrett to Berlin, and is a stockholder in one of the Berlin banks. He is a member of the German Baptist church and a deacon in same.
Peter Beeghley married, March 12, 1848, Pheobe Alice Cober, born July 30, 1826, a daughter of John and Rose A. (Putnam) Cober, the former a farmer of this county, a preacher in the German Baptist church and a physician. He had a good local reputation and practice, being especially successful in the treatment of cancer and fevers. Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Beeghley commenced life on the old farm, where they still reside, although the old home has been torn down and a commodious modern dwelling erected in its place. The following children have been born to them: William, a merchant of Great Falls, Montana, who has been twice married and is the father of two children; John, also twice married, and father of six children; he resides near Somerset, and is a farmer by occupation; Silas, a farmer of Thayer county, Nebraska, and a widower; Ira, merchant and postmaster of Beachdale; he married Cora Brant, and they have three children; he resides on the old farm near his father, with whom he is in partnership; Rosa Ann, Isaiah and Ezra, all of whom died in infancy." History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania" Bedford County by E. Howard Blackburn; Somerset County by William H. Welfley; v.3, Pub. The Lewis Publishing Company, New York/Chicago 1906, pg. 401-3
BELMS, HON. A. S. -- Worthington, (Indiana) was born in Wayne Township, Belmont Co., Ohio, August 13, 1846, and when eight years old moved with his father to Brown County, Ind., where his early years were passed, the summer months on a farm and during the winter months attending public school. On the 4th day of August, 1862, while yet a mere boy, his youthful blood was fired by the spirit of patriotism, and he enlisted in the United States service, and was mustered on the 9th of the same month as a member of Company I, Sixty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry. From this time until the close of the war, he was in active service, participating in all the battles of his regiment from and including Buzzard's Roost to the fall of Atlanta, also participating in the Hood campaign and siege of Nashville, and the campaign in the Carolinas from the gulf to the fall of Raleigh and close of the war. He returned home to Brown County, Ind. , in the fall of 1865, and was elected Justice of the Peace for Jackson Township, serving from 1875 to 1879. He was Postmaster at Bean Blossom six years, and also served as Postmaster at Nashville one term. In January, 1880, he moved to Worthington, where he has since resided, identified with the best interests of Greene County. Until January 1, 1883, he was editor and proprietor of the Worthington Times, and for two years, ending January 1, 1883, was Worthington's Postmaster. He resigned this last position to take his seat in the Lower House of the State Legislature, having been duly elected to this responsibility by the majority of intelligent voters of Greene County. [Source: History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, state of Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. Chicago: Goodspeed Bros. & Co., 1884]
BERGUNDTHAL, W.C., a citizen of Bellaire and ex-treasurer of Belmont County, Ohio, was born in 1851 in Monroe County, near the Belmont County line.
W.C. Bergundthal was reared in Belmont County, and for many years prior to 1897 was connected with the Lantern Globe Company of Bellaire, Ohio. In the fall of 1897, he was elected county treasurer on the Republican ticket, and in 1899 was re-elected, his term expiring in 1901.
Mr. Bergundthal was united in marriage with Cora V. Dorsey of Powhatan, Ohio, January 20, 1881, and they have two children: Wilma, born in 1886; and John, born in 1891. Fraternally, our subject is a member of Moriah Lodge No. 105, F. & A.M.; Bellaire Chapter No. 107, R.A.M.; Hope Commandery No. 26, K.T.; Ohio Consistory S.P.R.S. of Cincinnati, Ohio; and Syrian Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S., of Cincinnati. Mr. Bergundthal is the present cashier of the German Savings Bank of Martin's Ferry, which institution was incorporated under the laws of Ohio in the spring of 1902. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BERRY, EDGAR A. -- a prominent farmer of Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born on a part of the farm which he now owns and occupies in 1844, and is a representative of one of the old and most respected families of this part of the State.
Thomas Berry, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Belmont County about 1802-03 and located on a portion of what now constitutes one of the largest, as well as one of the most valuable grain, stock and fruit farms of the county. The land in the early days of settlement belonged to Thomas Berry, Horton Howard, Abigail Cope and Stafford Melton. The children of Thomas Berry were: Cyrus, Samuel, Jesse, Reece, Jordan, Hannah, Asenath and Eliza. Cyrus lived on a farm in Morgan County for many years. Jordan lived and died on the home farm. The former has been dead for 50 years, and the latter since 1865. In 1866 Jesse went to the West.
Reece Berry, the father of our subject, was born on his father's farm in 1817, and always resided at the old home, and at the time of his brother Jordan's death purchased the latter's portion of the estate. Reece Berry was a farmer and was also a professional thresher, having one of the best outfits in his locality. His death occurred in 1891, after a useful life in which he had served his township as trustee, and identified himself with the Republican party. His wife, who before marriage was Julia Anna Jobe, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, near Trenton, and also resided at Farmington, in Belmont County. She died in 1894, in her 71st year, most sincerely mourned by friends and neighbors. The three children born to this marriage were: Edgar A., Rachel R., who resides at Colerain, and owns one of the fine farms of Pease township, and Laura B., who is the wife of Theodore Clark, residing in Colerain, and also owning a valuable farm in that township.
Edgar A. Berry was reared and educated in Pease township and has been connected with agricultural pursuits all his life. He owns some 320 acres of land, divided into several farms, 170 being in the home tract, 90 acres in one farm and 60 acres in another, all of them being improved with substantial buildings, fruitful orchards and attractive surroundings. These farms are rented to responsible parties, although Mr. Berry attends to the management of the home place. In 1876 he erected a handsome house which he remodeled in 1890, making of it a 10-room house, and fitted it in a most comfortable and convenient manner.
In 1876 Mr. Berry was married to Mary A. Dungan, who was born and reared near Colerain. She was a daughter of B. Ellis and Sarah (Fox) Dungan, both deceased, members of old established families in the county. The four children of this union are: Mamie, Eugene E., Blanche and Ethel. Mr. Berry actively supports the Republican party, and from 1880 to 1888 was its choice for township trustee. His interests in agricultural matters made him a member of the Grange, but he belongs to no other organization. The religious membership of the family is in the Society of Friends. They belong to the most highly esteemed residents of the township, and few men are more thoroughly respected or relied upon than Edgar A. Berry. His pleasant home, situated on a bluff overlooking Colerain and a wide extent of country, is not only admired by the family friends for its beautiful location, but also for the kind hospitality and genuine courtesy dispensed under its roof. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BETHEL, ALFRED : Among the old and influential citizens of Flushing is Alfred Bethel, who is the son of James and Mary Bethel, both natives of Virginia. They came to Ohio in 1790, where James bought a land lease. They were among the first settlers and became well known throughout the community. They were both members of the Rock Hill Baptist church. The father died about 1850, and the mother followed him about the year 1857. Their children were: Sarah, deceased; Lucinda, Edward, deceased; Benjamin, deceased; Alfred; Abner, deceased; Elizabeth Ann, deceased; Mary; Eliza Jane, deceased; Francis M., deceased; and James S. Alfred Bethel was born in 1819, having been reared on his father's farm and receiving the best education that the schools of that day afforded. He was married when twenty-three years of age to Margaret McCall. Mr. and Mrs. McCall are the parents of eight children: John A., Mary E., deceased; James O. and Nancy, deceased; Jesse B., Thomas F., and a pair of twins that died in infancy. The four living children are all established in homes of their own and all have bright prospects in life. John A. answered his country's call enlisting in the Ninety-eighth Ohio Infantry, and afterward going to Louisville, Ky., where he entered the marines under Capt. Fisher, serving for thirty-one months with much courage and efficiency; he was honorably discharged at Vicksburg one year after the close of the war. Mr. Bethel has served his township as a trustee for several terms with great credit to himself and much benefit to the community. Although now in his seventieth year, yet he is well preserved and gives promise of living for years to come. Mrs. Bethel is also well along in years, being sixty-seven, but like her husband, she is still in the enjoyment of good health and bids fair to live for many years yet. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890.
BETHEL, JAMES : an extensive agriculturist of Flushing, is one of five living children who were born to William and Elizabeth Bethel. The children are: Susan, Jane, James, Sarah, now Mrs. Hall, and John A. William Bethel came from Stafford county, Va., in 1812; one of his brothers, Thomas, who fought in the war of 1812, settled with him in Belmont county. He worked hard all of his life, having cleared several farms, and died about 1865, after living a life of usefulness. James Bethel lived with his father until he was twenty-six years of age, being obliged to carry his part of the family burden. In 1846, he espoused Miss Caroline Bethel. He worked for others for three years before he bought a farm of his own, he then bought 118 acres of land, going into debt for the same. By hard work and the exercise of much energy, he has not only paid off the debt, but has added 166 acres to the original property, and has some money invested in other enterprises. He is a man who holds the confidence and esteem of his neighbors in an unusual degree. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bethel. Two sons reside in Flushing and are comfortably situated on their father's farm. Mrs. Bethel was a member of the Disciples church until her death, December 11, 1883. She was a woman of many fine qualities, and her death caused much sorrow in her large circle of friends and acquaintances. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890.
BLACKBURN, M.L., president of the Novelty Stamping Company, of Bellaire, Ohio, is a native of this State, born in Belmont County, and for the past 34 years has practically been a resident of Bellaire, though the greater part of his active life has been prominently identified with the industrial development of Eastern Ohio. From 1876 to 1892 he was interested in the glass business. Since 1892 he has held the position of president of the Novelty company, for which his years of business experience have eminently qualified him.
The Novelty Stamping Company was established in the summer of 1892, for the manufacture of stamped ware, from sheet metals, the product including all culinary household utensils. The officers of this company are men whose names carry with them reliability, viz.: M.L. Blackburn, president; A. Klotz, vice-president; and L.G. Battelle, secretary and treasurer. The board of directors include the above officers and also George Walters, F.B. Archer, John Schick and Clarence Baur.
This business was incorporated in the fall of 1892 and began operating in February, 1893, at 34th and Monroe streets. The building was erected by the company on the site of the Belmont Glass Works plant, which had been torn down, and covers an area of about half a block. About 250 employees are kept in the various departments, under a capable foreman. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BLACKFORD, JAMES MITCHELL M.D., Among the prominent men of Martin's Ferry, Ohio, who stand high in professional and social life, is Dr. James Mitchell Blackford, who was born in Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, on January 24, 1837, a son of Joseph and Isabella (Latimer) Blackford.
Joseph Blackford was a son of Robert Blackford who served as a soldier in the War of 1812 and whose wife was given a pension after his death, in 1832, in this county, of Asiatic cholera. Joseph Blackford settled on his farm which he purchased in 1832, and lived there until his death, which occurred on February 29, 1880, when over 82 years of age, his birth having taken place in Ohio County, (West) Virginia, in 1797. He was a leading man in his township and most prominent in the Presbyterian Church, a charter member of the church in Martin's Ferry, having previously been an elder in the church at Mount Pleasant in Jefferson County. For 35 years he was an elder in the Martin's Ferry church and one of its most substantial members and strong supporters. Mr. Blackford was for many years a staunch Democrat, but his attitude in regard to temperance laws made him an early member of the Prohibition party. His farming was carried on in the days when the rule in the neighborhood in which he lived, was to supply his assistants during the heavy summer work with intoxicants; he, however, after noting the effect would not observe the custom and took a firm stand against it. In this he was seconded by his friend and neighbor, Joshua Steele, a worthy Quaker, and they were the first men to succeed in having their harvesting done without the dispensation of whisky. It was probably due to the high personal character of these two men that so little trouble arose when they thus dared custom and public opinion, but they succeeded by their firmness in checking a growing evil, and finally turning the tide in favor of temperance. A brother of Joseph Blackford, Robert by name, located on a farm in Pease township in 1841, and lived a quiet, unassuming life, was known as an excellent blacksmith and as an exemplary citizen. He died in 1891, at the age of 79 years. His son Josiah, fell into the hands of the enemy at the battle of Chickamauga and his fate was never learned.
The mother of our subject was a daughter of William Latimer and was born in 1805, the youngest of a family of eight children, all of whom have passed away. In 1800 William Latimer came with John Wiley, from Pennsylvania, and settled on adjoining sections of land in Belmont County in what is now known as the Colerain Pike. One son of Mr. Latimer named William was killed in the War of 1812. Mrs. Blackford died at the age of 66 years. She was long a member of the Presbyterian Church. A family of six sons was born to Joseph Blackford and wife, namely: William H., deceased, who farmed the old homestead, died Sept. 14, 1902, aged 75; Rev. Alexander Latimer, D.D., who for 30 years was a missionary in Brazil, died during a visit to the United States in 1890 of yellow fever at Atlanta, Georgia, at the age of 62 years; Rev. Robert Allen, who was a minister for 13 years at Clarksburg, West Virginia, and died in 1896; Rev. John H., a Presbyterian minister for many years, and has been stationed since 1897, at Slatelick, Pennsylvania; Dr. James Mitchell, who is the subject of this biography; and Joseph Anderson, who died at the age of eight years. All of these sons that grew to maturity have become prominent in professional life, testifying in the strongest degree the tendency given by early moral surroundings.
Dr. Blackford acquired his literary education at Miller Academy, and later pursued a higher course at Vermilion Institute. His preceptor in medicine was that eminent physician, Dr. John Campbell, of Uniontown, Ohio, of whom Dr. John Cook, formerly of Bridgeport, was also a pupil. Dr. Blackford still further pursued his studies at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, and completed his course at Starling Medical College, at Columbus, in 1865. He began practice at Morristown, Ohio, removing in 1873 to Martin's Ferry, thus being the second oldest practitioner in this city, being preceded by Dr. Williams. Dr. Blackford has always held a large practice, his learning and skill making him prominent through the county and a very valued member of the Belmont County Medical Society, of which he has served as president. He is a ready writer as well as deep thinker and his contributions to medical journals have been regarded as worthy of extended notice and discussion. He has been the medical examiner for insurance companies and has been health officer a number of times. No more judicious selection could be made on the School Board than Dr. Blackford, as his interests have always been engaged in the cause of education, and he has served for six years. While Dr. Blackford is a close student and careful observer in his own profession, and an interested promoter of civic progress, he takes no active part in politics, being only concerned that the most capable men be elected.
On January 16, 1866, Dr. Blackford was married to Catherine Reid, who was born in Ireland, coming to the United States at the age of ten years. She is one of ten living children and the eldest born to her parents.
The four children born to Dr. and Mrs. Blackford were: Robert A., Mary R., Joseph E. and John Latimer, the last named dying at the age of five years. Robert A. graduated from Washington and Jefferson College, in 1889 and from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in the class of 1899, also from Washington College in 1899, then taught two years in the grammar schools of Martin's Ferry and for three years was principal of the High School, served for two years as physician of an insane asylum, at Warren, Pennsylvania, and one year at the hospital at Pottstown, in the same State, and is now permanently located in practice with our subject. Joseph E. has been for the past 10 years the Martin's Ferry correspondent of the Wheeling News; he married Anna Bell Hobbs and their two children were named Edward, who died at the age of five years, and Kathryne. Mr. Blackford is regarded as a rising man in the newspaper profession.
Dr. Blackford is an elder in the United Presbyterian Church and his two oldest children are also members. The family is one of the most highly regarded in the social circles of Martin's Ferry and its head enjoys universal esteem. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BLUM BROTHERS is one of the most progressive and enterprising business houses of Bellaire, Ohio. It is composed of Henry and Isaac Blum, proprietors of the mammoth store located on the corner of 33rd and Belmont streets, in this city, dealers in gents' furnishings, clothing, dry goods, carpets, ladies' underwear, etc., and a complete line of ladies' ready-made suits, many of which are imported. This great establishment has a frontage on Belmont street of 80 feet, and carries the largest and best selected stock in the city.
The enterprising members of the firm of Blum Brothers were born in Alsace, France, which country they left about 1870, Henry preceding Isaac, and becoming a clerk in the establishment of an uncle in Wheeling, West Virginia. Later when Isaac arrived he also entered his uncle's employ as bookkeeper. In 1875 Henry Blum embarked in business in Bellaire, and two years later his brother joined him and the present partnership was formed. Business began in a small way on Union street at the former home of the First National Bank, removal being made later to the Mrs. Hess building, opposite the Post Office, and it was not until 1884 that the present most desirable location was secured. In that year the energetic brothers opened a single store on the corner of 33rd and Belmont streets, the same now being the clothing and gents' furnishing department. Business increased at such a rapid rate that three years later they purchased the adjoining store, which was formerly occupied by a tea company, and after remodeling this, making what is really a double store, they turned it into a vast dry-goods department. With 80 feet frontage and 100 feet depth and two floors, they have one of the most convenient stores to be found in the city. Five employees are necessary in the gents' clothing department, one cashier only being necessary on account of the employment of the cash carrier system. In the dry-goods department six girls and five boys are required, while the personal attention of both partners is given at all times. They have so systematized their business that patrons are able to be served with no loss of time, while the quality of the goods, the taste employed in their selection and the utmost courtesy with which customers are welcomed have brought to this firm a permanent and constantly increasing trade of a most satisfactory kind.
Both members of the firm of Blum Brothers are married and reside in adjoining homes on Belmont street. Socially they are members of the Knights of Pythias, both having formerly been Odd Fellows. Both are also members of the Jewish Reform Church, of which Henry Blum is treasurer and Isaac Blum is reader. Henry is a trustee of the Jewish Orphans' Home at Cleveland, Ohio, and is interested in various manufacturing plants at Bellaire, one of these being the Novelty Stamping Company, and other the new Enameled Steel Tile Company and the Imperial Glass Works. The firm as individuals have always contributed liberally to the various business and social enterprises which have been inaugurated for the city's benefit, and in every way are most highly esteemed and valued citizens. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOGGS, E.N. - a representative citizen of Barton, Ohio, who is extensively engaged in mining and mercantile business, was born in Colerain township in 1859. He is a son of Francis and Elizabeth (Berry) Boggs. His mother was a daughter of Jacob Berry, who settled in Colerain township about 1802, coming from Hagerstown, Maryland, with his parents when about three years of age.
David Boggs, the paternal grandfather of our subject, came from Maryland to Belmont County in the early part of the 19th century. He settled upon a farm about six miles from Bridgeport, in Colerain township, remaining here the balance of his life. He accumulated a good property and was a very prominent man of his day. He opened up the first coal bank in Belmont County, it being located on Flat Run. It was not only the first bank opened, but also the first opened for commercial purposes and was known as a "peddler's bank." Belmont County ranks fourth among the counties of the State in the production of coal. David Boggs married Mary Waddle, of Ohio County, (West) Virginia, who was born in Triadelphia. The following children were born to them: David; Marjorie, deceased, who married J.W. Collins, of Newark, Ohio; William W., who died in California; Francis; and James, of Belmont County.
Francis Boggs, father of E.N. Boggs, devoted all of his life to agricultural pursuits, in which he met with more than ordinary success. In connection with his farming interests, he also operated a coal bank, which netted him good profits. He was known for his strict integrity and square dealings. He voted the Democratic ticket, but never aspired to office. However, upon several occasions, he was called upon to fill township offices.
To him and his wife the following children were born: Ella, who married J.W. Bean, of Bridgeport, Ohio; Catherine, who married M.D. Goldman, of Topeka, Kansas; Ona M., who married E.T. Russell, an elder of the Seventh Day Adventists, with headquarters at Lincoln, Nebraska; F.W., who is assisting his brother in the mercantile business; Jacob W., who was killed in a railroad wreck in 1891; and R.T., who is a conductor on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.
E.N. Boggs received a liberal amount of schooling in the district schools of Colerain township, after which he took a business course in Wheeling, West Virginia. Later he attended the normal university at Lebanon, Ohio, and in 1882 he engaged in the coal business, which has claimed the major portion of his attention since that time. He has been eminently successful. He employs on an average 150 men. During the summer months he ships the product of his mine to Northern transportation companies, and during the winter the coal is used for fuel on truck line railroads. In 1892 Mr. Boggs opened a general store at Barton, in which he keeps a full stock of choice family groceries, boots, shoes, clothing, patent medicines, etc. His store is a modern two-story structure and is first-class in all its appointments.
Mr. Boggs was married in 1892 to Jemima Hall, daughter of Henry and Hannah Hall, respected citizens of Colerain township. The family consists of four children: Paul; Marjorie; Mildred, and Elizabeth. Socially, Mr. Boggs is a member of Belmont Lodge, No. 16, F. & A.M.; Hope Commandery, No. 26, K.T., of St. Clairsville, and also is a member of the K. of P. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOHANDY, Albert: was a long-time respected and admired member of the Barnesville business community, operating Bohandy's Restaurant and Confectionary on West Main Street for many years-his success, through both good and lean years, serving as a shining example of a personal ethic that was based on honesty, fairness and hard work. Albert Bohandy was born in Durbal, Syria on July 16, 1876. His birthplace was a small mountain village 28 miles north of Damascus, Syria, the country's capital and one of the oldest cities in the world. The inhabitants were mostly farmers and sheepherders and very poor. He learned the values of hard work, honesty and thriftiness at an early age. The country was under French rule at the time. Schooling was not available. He never had the opportunity to learn to read or write the Arabic language. In his youth he had heard many stories of a land many thousands of miles away whose people were free and had the opportunity to go to school and to own their own business. With his uncanny ability to save money he was able to buy a ticket to go to America, for he decided that emigrating to this far away land meant a happier and more fruitful, meaningful life for himself. He knew he could work had and save enough money that would permit him to send for his cousin Amone Bohandy, whom he had chosen to be his wife, Albert had boundless faith that together they could own their own business and raise a family in their new homeland. After all, America was the land of the free and the land of opportunity, The burning desire, the determination, all the faith -all these were in their hearts and minds. The great adventure would soon begin for Haidar Bohandy from Durbal, Syria. At the age of 27. He had been able to save enough money to pay his fare by boat to the U.S. and fifty dollars extra to start a new life there. In 1903, a dollar bought a lot more than it does today. One today cannot believe the difference in the buying powers of money between 1903 and today. A month after leaving Beirut he landed in New York City. He was afraid of what may lay ahead, but anxious and hopeful that he would find a place in which to settle, start to work and be able to bring Amone to his side. He was not able to read or write English. On board ship he befriended and elderly couple going to see their son living in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. Since he did not know the language or any family in the states, they asked him to go with them to Pennsylvania. He accepted and a lifetime friendship evolved. Haidar really did not enjoy living in a city. He was accustomed to farm life atmosphere. He stayed with his new friends until the end of 1904. He was able to learn enough broken phrases and words to understand many different kinds of transactions which would enable him to learn the principals of buying and selling. He found work there and saved every penny he made that was left after paying a small amount for room and board. He discussed often the possibility of traveling westward in hopes of finding a farm like area where he would like to start his own life. The family agreed to take a week in the spring and go westward in hopes of finding his garden of Eden. They went from Pennsylvania into Southeastern Ohio where they entered Belmont County. Still traveling westward through the area to Barnesville, Ohio, Haidar Bohandy found the spot of spots. This community and area reminded him of his birthplace. He had made arrangements with a brother and a cousin to come to the area he had selected in which to live. Shortly after getting settled, he wrote to them to start the journey across the ocean. Within three months they arrived and with the help and advice of local businessman decided they wanted to open a restaurant and confectionary. One of the local ladies they employed taught them how to make ice cream and candy. They learned quickly and developed this into and art which brought praise from the entire community. He changed his name to Albert Bohandy, very soon Bohandy's homemade candy and ice cream were household words. They became very successful in both the restaurant and confectionary business. They made money and they saved money. The public was amazed at their success in their uncanny ability to expand the variety and quality in their products. Each piece of candy was hand-dipped, absolutely delicious. The ice cream was so tasty and refreshing that before long 250 to 300 gallons a week were sold.
BONEYSTEELE, JACOB, proprietor of the only artificial ice factory in Bellaire, Ohio, has a plant of some magnitude on the corner of 23rd and Union streets, which has a capacity of 35 tons daily. Mr. Boneysteele first engaged in the manufacture of ice in 1885, when he entered into a partnership for that purpose with William Bridenstein. The latter retired from business in 1891 and our subject then became sole proprietor. He erected the present plant, which was increased to its present capacity in 1901, and employs 13 regular men, running three delivery wagons. His office is No. 209 23rd street, and he does a large amount of business.
Mr. Boneysteele was born near Pittsburg in 1852, and previous to engaging in the manufacture of ice learned the glass-blower's trade, and followed that line of work for a number of years with the National Glass Company of Bellaire. He also served several years as manager for that company. His marriage with Katie Baggs, who is a native of the Mountain State but who has lived in Belmont County since 1872, took place at Bridgeport, and they have four children, namely, Margaret, Elizabeth, Jacob and Park. The family residence is situated at No. 215 23rd street. The religious views of the family are varied; our subject favors the German Lutheran Church; his wife, the Methodist Episcopal; his eldest daughter, the Episcopal; and the other three children, the Presbyterian.
Politically, Mr. Boneysteele is a Republican, and has served six years as a member of the City Council from the First Ward. Socially, he is allied with the Knights of Pythias, Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, and Wheeling Lodge No. 424, Knights of Honor. He has been decidedly successful in his business ventures and now possesses considerable real estate in Bellaire. In addition, he has invested largely in various public enterprises, among them the Farmers' & Merchants' Bank, in which he is a stockholder. He was a stockholder in the Star Glass Company, and was a stockholder in the Ohio Valley Glass Company, of Bridgeport, Ohio, of which he was manager - this firm manufactures bottles and fruit jars. He is a stockholder in the Enameled Steel Tile Company, of Bellaire, Ohio. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOSWELL, NATHAN M. of the well-known marble and granite firm of Colpitts & Boswell, in the thriving city of Barnesville, Ohio, has been connected with this industry for years. Its junior member has done his share in establishing its present high reputation. The firm does a larger business than any other of its kind in the Ohio Valley.
Mr. Boswell was born June 9, 1864, and comes of one of the pioneer families of Barnesville, where he has spent the greater part of his life. His father, William Boswell, born April 16, 1819, saw the place grow from a wilderness to a prosperous and flourishing village. He was reared in Belmont County, where upon reaching manhood he engaged in agriculture. He continued thus throughout his active career. He was an honest and hard working man, and won the respect and confidence of all who knew him. He made his home in the county until he died, in December, 1891. During his early manhood he married Hannah Briggs, and they had five children. Mrs. Boswell survived her husband two years, dying in 1893.
Nathan M. Boswell received the ordinary rearing of a farm boy, attended the district schools for a few months each year, and put in his spare time in hard manual labor. Upon reaching manhood he became interested in the marble and granite industry conducted by Colpitts Brothers, and established as early as 1875. August 12, 1887, he purchased a half interest in the business, and has since worked strenuously for its success. The firm attends not only to the cutting and preparing of marble and granite monuments, but also to the making of statuary, and in both lines has established an enviable reputation in point of excellence. It has always been noted for square dealing and honesty, and is held in the highest estimation wherever it is known.
In June, 1894, Mr. Boswell married Della Burson, daughter of James Burson, a prominent agriculturist, and they have had two children, Leah L. and William. The family occupy a high position socially, and belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Boswell has always evinced a keen interest in public affairs, and as a Republican is influential in politics. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOWLES, FRANK O. -- a well-known merchant of Richland township, was born in Smith township, Belmont County, Ohio, in 1856, and is a son of George and Eliza Jane (Snyder) Bowles.
George Bowles was born in Belmont County, Ohio, in 1819, and was a carpenter and cabinetmaker by trade, following that occupation throughout his entire life. Religiously, he was a member of the M.E. Church. In politics he was a Republican. During the Civil War he enlisted, in the spring of 1862, at St. Clairsville in the 126th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and during most of his service was a hospital nurse. He was mustered out in 1865. He died in 1884 and was buried at Wesley Chapel Cemetery, in Smith township. He married Eliza Jane Snyder, whose parents were natives of Maryland, where her father followed farming. She is now living with her son, G.H. Bowles, in Fairview, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years. She is a member of the M.E. Church. Mr. and Mrs. Bowles had the following children: Edna, deceased; Herschell, deceased; Ella, deceased; George Hogan, a merchant at Fairview, Guernsey County, and Frank O.
Frank O. Bowles is a merchant and has a very successful business. He carries a large stock of drugs and groceries, and is a manufacturer of cigars. In 1879 he was united in marriage with Annie S. Hutchison, who was born in Loydsville, Richland township, in 1863, and is a daughter of John and Amanda (Powell) Hutchison. They have five children, namely: George O., who was born in 1881, and is now a school teacher; Claire C., born in 1883, is in the store with his father; Lela M., born in 1890; Edna F., born in 1892; and Charles, born in 1894. Our subject and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as are their children. Fraternally, he is a member of Hazen Lodge, F. & A.M., of Morristown. He is a Republican in politics. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOWMAN, R.L. -- cashier of the Farmers' & Merchants' Bank of Bellaire, Ohio, a man of marked liberality and public spirit and a prominent and useful resident of Powhatan Point, is a native of the great State of Kentucky, born at the city of Lexington, in Fayette County, in 1863.
The parents of Mr. Bowman were Henry Clay and Lizzie (Reed) Bowman; the former, at the age of 80 years, is still a resident of Kentucky, where the latter died in the summer of 1901, aged 64 years. The Bowman family was originally of Virginia and belonged to the early pioneers in Kentucky, where the grandfather of our subject was born and where he died in 1878 at the age of 96 years. By a former marriage Henry C. Bowman had four children, and seven were born to his second union; the names of the eleven children are as follows: Anna Belle, who resides at home in Lexington with her sisters, Lou and Sallie, and brothers Henry Clay, Jr., and William R.; Robert Lee of this sketch is the sixth member; Bush Hatfield, a resident of Perry, Oklahoma; Florence Stockwell; Andrew Reed, of Lexington; Catherine B. (Mrs. Banks), of Columbus, Georgia, and John B., also of Lexington.
R.L. Bowman is the only member of his family residing in Ohio. He was reared and educated in one of the select homes and excellent schools of Lexington, but since the age of 15 years has depended upon his own efforts. Mr. Bowman is a young man of superior mental equipment, and from being a successful teacher he became instructor in bookkeeping and penmanship at the University of Kentucky. Later he investigated business opportunities in the State of Texas, going there in 1884, and for 10 succeeding years was mainly engaged in the banking business both at San Antonio and Eagle Pass, filling a position as cashier at the latter place. In 1894 with his wife he came north and located in the pleasant neighborhood of Powhatan Point, where he engaged in farming and cattle raising, accepting his present responsible position in December, 1901.
In 1886 Mr. Bowman married Vene D. Dorsey, a daughter of Michael and Margaret (Potts) Dorsey, the latter of whom was born in 1832 in West Wheeling, Belmont County, but was reared and married in Marshall County, West Virginia, near Moundsville. Michael Dorsey was one of the best known and most active business men in his section of Belmont County, and was born November 17, 1806, at Martin's Ferry, and died October 25, 1897. His parents came from near Baltimore, Maryland, to Belmont County, about 1801. Michael engaged extensively in farming and stock raising, also in milling, and at one time owned about 800 acres of land. Since the Civil War he resided at Powhatan Point, and he built the Dover mill on Captina Creek and held the position of postmaster under President Jackson, whose political views he zealously supported through life. Michael Dorsey's children were: Florence, deceased; Cora, the wife of W.C. Bergundthal of Martin's Ferry; Brady, of Dawson City, Alaska, and Vene D. (Mrs. Bowman).
Mr. Bowman has served in a number of offices in the gift of the Democratic party, and he is president of the School Board of Powhatan. Both he and wife are leading members of the Methodist Church and are also prominent socially. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BOYD, WILLIAM -- a well-known farmer of Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio, who owns one of the most valuable estates in his locality, was born on the same, in 1842. His parents were William and Margaret (McFarland) Boyd, both of whom were born in County Tyrone, Ireland, the former in 1800 and the latter in 1801. Mrs. Boyd accompanied her parents to America when she was 12 years old, and died in 1884.
William Boyd, Sr., came to the United States in 1823 and located for two years at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he followed his trade of weaving. In 1826 he came to Belmont County to establish himself upon a farm, selecting the tract which adjoins his son William's property. Here he reared his large family and engaged in agricultural pursuits through the balance of his active life, dying in 1891. Both he and his wife belonged to the United Presbyterian faith. Their children were as follows: James, deceased; Ann J., the widow of Joseph McKelvey, lives in Guernsey County; Margaret; Andrew McFarland, a resident of Bellaire; Isabella, deceased, the wife of Thomas Johnson, of Richland township; Katherine; Mary, deceased, who was the wife of Thomas Hutchinson; Samuel, deceased; and William, the youngest of nine children.
Mr. Boyd attended the district schools in his locality, and has devoted his life to agriculture. His fine farm comprises 170 acres and is located eight miles south of St. Clairsville, is well improved and well cultivated. In August, 1862, Mr. Boyd enlisted for service in the Civil War, entering Company B, 126th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., under command of Capt. William B. Kirk, and continued in the ranks until overtaken by sickness, in 1863, which caused his honorable discharge at Alexandria, Virginia.
In 1874 Mr. Boyd was married to Emily Brannen, who was born in Mead township in 1853, a daughter of Joseph and Harriet (Shahan) Brannen, and they have a family of five children, namely: Joseph B., born in 1876; Hattie H., born in 1888; Pearl, born in 1890; James E., born in 1892; and Emma M., born in 1896. In political sentiment Mr. Boyd is an active Republican, while in religious association he belongs to the United Presbyterian Church. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
JOHN BRADFIELD was, for a long period, a resident of Barnesville, Ohio, and was ever in the foreground of its business life. In the matter of public improvements, he prolrably left a greater impress upon the city than any other person who has ever made it his home. The birth of John Bradfield occurred in Yorkshire, England, in 1813. and in 1827 he accompanied his parents. John and Isabella Bradfield. to the United States. The little family remained for a short time in Baltimore, Maryland, but it was the father's intention to engage in farming, and with this object in view a suitable location was found in Belmont County, Ohio, within four miles of the growing town of Barnesville. Although he was ambitious to learn, he enjoyed few early advantages. His superior mental acquirements, so noticeable in after years, were gained through much reading and association with the world. Until 1838. he remained on the farm and then first engaged in the buying and shipping of tobacco. His initial ventures proved profitable, and with continued success he remained in the business for the three succeeding years. Then, with his ambition stimulated by enlarged opportunities, he conceived and carried out the idea of buying out the large firm of James Barnes & Sons, general merchants, and thus entered upon a business career in Barnesville. which resulted in the legitimate accumulation of a large fortune. From time to time his sons were admitted to partnership, and the business was still further expanded, until the name of Bradfield became one of the leading ones in the tobacco trade throughout the State, and far beyond. After an honorable business career of more than 50 years, Mr. Bradfield retired from active labors in 1889, resigning his large interests to his capable sons, who have followed his business methods, as they have been the fortunate inheritors of much of his sagacity.
John Bradfield, during his busiest years, however, was constantly keeping in mind the development of Barnesville, and. as he was gifted with that foresight which enabled him to comprehend its needs fully, devoted himself, with his wealth and influence, in a pubic-spirited manner, to meet them. The First National Bank will long be a monument to his public interest and business enterprise from the time of its organization, in 1864, until 1875. he was its president, and retired then on account of the pressure of other enterprises. This bank, in connection with the mercantile firm of which he was the head, built one of the finest business blocks to be found in any city of equal size in the State, and this will stand as another monument to his public spirit. Both gas and electric lighting received his attention, and with his influential backing became accomplished facts in Barnesville. contributing to its general prosperity. For many years he was the president of the gas company, retaining that office until his decease, at which time the company was under contract to furnish electric light for the city. Mr. Bradiield was a man of business and not a politician, declining the Haltering offers made to him, although few men were better equipped to hold positions of public responsibility. Mr. Bradfield lived an active life that brought him prominence, but it was in the line of business. He was ever a generous contributor to the various educational and charitable enterprises of Barnesville, and so employed his wealth thai his name is recalled by his fellow citizens with feelings of the deepest esteem and veneration. In 1843. Mr. Bradfield was united in marriage with Eliza Anna Shannon, who was a daughter of Thomas Shannon, and a niece of ex-Governor Shannon. To this union were born nine children, six of whom arc prominent in the highest social circles of this city; Thomas and John W. Bradfield, widely-known merchants; J. E. Bradfield. cashier of the First National Bank: Charles Bradfield, a bookkeeper in the same institution: Mrs.Otho P. Norris, wife of the cashier of the People's National Bank: and Mrs. A. Rogers, wife of a prominent lumber dealer. All of these are most highly respected residents of Barnesville. The mother of this family passed away in 1889. Although so much of his time was necessarily devoted to his great business, Mr Bradfield never forgot the needs of the Presbyterian Church, of which both he and wife were devoted members. From its first beginnings, he was one of its supporters and was always ready with time, influence and means, to promote its good work. In the death of Mr. Bradfield. on October 10. 1893, the city of Barnesville parted with one of its most substantial, useful and prominent citizens. [Source: Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and representative citizens - Chicago :: Biographical Pub. Co.,, 1903, - Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]
BRANSON, DAVID : DAVID BRANSON is a son of ***** and Jane (Frame) Branson, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter a native of Maryland. They were married in Flushing, and always resided there. They had nine children; seven of them are now living: Lydia, wife of John Hoge, a resident of the state of Iowa; David; Rachel, wife of Israel Sidwell, a citizen of this county; Asa, now living in Iowa; Elizabeth, also a resident of Iowa; Mary Jane, wife of Nathan Steer, a resident of Belmont county; and Smith, a citizen of Flushing. David was brought up on his father's farm, and having received a common school education, he worked for his father upon his farm and in the grist-mill, situated on Wheeling creek, which was run by his father in connection with his farm. This mill was at first operated on rather a small scale, but as the needs of the community increased, the business of the mill increased also. David was of great service to his father, being able to do most that is required about a mill. He was united in marriage to Miss Sarah B. Holloway, daughter of Jacob and Martha Holloway. The Holloway family was from Virginia; Martha, mother of Mrs. Branson, whose maiden name was Bye, was a native of Maryland; her family migrated to Ohio, and it was in that state that Mr. Holloway and Mrs. Warfield were married April 29, 1813. Mrs. Branson was one of six children: Daniel, born March 4, 1814, died April, 1873; Eliza, born May 5, 1816, died April 8, 1842; William, born December 23, 1818, now a resident of Bridgeport, Ohio, and president of the bank of that place; Martha, born December 11, 1820, died in 1825; Jacob, born March 6, 1823; Mrs. Branson, born April 10, 1827; and there is also a half-brother, John, and two half-sisters, Mary and Maria Warfield. Mr. and Mrs. Branson have been made happy by the birth of six children: Martha B. Hobson, wife of Dr. J. A. Hobson, born August 24, 18.51; Anna Eliza, born January 23, 1854, wife of Henry Hall; Mary Ellen, born August 14, 1856; Lizzie M., born January 14, 1859, wife of Nathan R. Smith; Emma J. Branson, born November 21, 1862; and Myra D., born March 3, 1869. Mr. Branson has served his township and county in various honorary positions, and is at present the president of the Flushing & Uniontown Pike, being one of the original projectors of that road. He is also one of the organizers of the bank of Flushing, and at present a director. Mr. and Mrs. Branson are members of the Society of Friends, and the entire family have birthrights. Mr. Branson has 495 acres of land under the highest cultivation, and now, that he has retired from active life, he can live comfortably from the fruits of his energetic labors. He is one of the most influential and one of the most highly respected of Belmont county's citizens. [History of the Upper Ohio Valley Vol. II, 1890.]
BRANSON, THOMAS W., superintendent and manager of the Belmont County Children's Home, which is located near Barnesville, Ohio, is conceded to be the most thorough and competent manager that institution has ever had. Mr. Branson was born October 29, 1854, in Brownsville, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Aaron and Frances (Crawford) Branson, whose family consisted of six children. Our subject's father was born in Flushing township, Belmont County, Ohio, April 4, 1811, and he was a son of Jacob Branson, Sr. Aaron Branson during his active life was largely engaged in the manufacture of implements. He died in 1876, and was survived by his widow until March 25, 1887. She was a daughter of Richard and Priscilla Crawford.
Thomas W. Branson was reared and educated mainly in Flushing township. When grown to manhood he followed the fortunes of a stationary engineer until 1886. He then engaged in the hardware business in Barnesville, which occupied his attention until 1896. May 1, 1895, he was appointed superintendent and manager of the Belmont County Children's Home, and by his adaptability and fitness for the place he has been retained ever since. This institution is supported by the county, and is one of the best managed concerns of its kind in the State. An extensive history of the Home appears in a different part of this volume.
About 32 children are inmates at the present time and are under the direct supervision of our subject, whose personal attention is given to even the small details connected with the care and comfort of those in his charge. Being of a kind and cheerful disposition, he has not only made a good guardian for the otherwise homeless waifs, but is also their faithful friend, while at the same time he curtails all unnecessary expense, practicing economy in every possible way. The trustees of the institution should consider themselves fortunate in securing the services of a man who is naturally so well qualified and adapted to fill the place, and his retention from year to year attests their entire satisfaction and appreciation of his efforts.
On the first day of June, 1882, Mr. Branson married Rebecca Patton, an accomplished daughter of Dr. Patton, who for many years was a leading physician and surgeon of New Athens, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Branson have reared one son, Ernest P., who was born June 14, 1883. The family are faithful attendants of the Presbyterian Church. Fraternally, our subject affiliates with the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a staunch Republican, but has never sought office, being obliged to give his time to the wants and cares of the inmates of the Home. He is a man of sterling integrity and good principles, and has attained success by his own endeavors. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BRANUM, H. GREELEY successfully engaged in business as a wholesale grocer in Bridgeport, Belmont County, Ohio, was formerly a member of the well-known firm of A. Branum & Sons. He is a son of Alexander and Lydia (Lash) Branum, the former a native of Toronto, Canada, and the latter of Belmont County, Ohio.
Alexander Branum did much to benefit his fellowmen, and was widely known and respected in Belmont County, whither he removed in 1840, from his home in Canada. He followed the business of a contractor and builder for many years and his first work was in Wheeling where he was employed in the Top Mill. He afterward worked at the Kinsey Mill for some time, and built many buildings over West Virginia and Belmont County, Ohio, until April 9, 1852, he became a member of the firm of Harden & Branum, wholesale grocers. They continued under this name until 1855 or 56, when Mr. Harden went west and the partnership was dissolved. Mr. Branum then formed a partnership with Samuel Junkins and William Alexander, which firm did a successful business until 1871. He then rented the present building and established a new business with his two sons, H.G. Branum and A.C. Branum as partners, continuing until 1883. At this time he sold his interests to his sons and retired from active business life, enjoying his rest until the date of his death, December, 1886, aged seventy years. As a contractor and builder he was everywhere recognized as a skilled workman; as a merchant he had wonderfully good business sagacity; as a citizen he was always earnest and active in his work, honorable and popular. He was one of the founders of the Belmont County Bank, which subsequently became the First National Bank of Bridgeport, Ohio. He always took an interest in young men and boys, and gave them much good advice. His many little acts of kindness in this regard are yet well-remembered though he has long since passed away. In his religious belief he was a Swedenborgian, as is also his wife, who is now eighty-three years of age, a resident of Bridgeport at the old homestead. She and her husband had eight children; namely, John M.; Mrs. Robinson Frank; A.P.; H. Greeley, our subject; A.C.; P.D.; Velma; and Anna. In July, 1862, John M. Branum enlisted in the 98th Regular Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at the breaking out of the Civil War, leaving his studies at Hopedale, in order to serve his country. He served until March 19, 1865, when he was killed at Bentonville, North Carolina, this being one of the last battles of the war. A.P. is also deceased, having departed this life at the age of twenty-six years. P.D. Branum is one of the firm of Dillworth Bros. Co., wholesale grocers of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Velma Branum is now Mrs. F.A. Mayberry, and is now a resident of Tiffin, Ohio, where her husband is connected with a boot and shoe company. Anna married A.J. Smith, manager of the West Virginia Glass Co. at Martin's Ferry, Ohio.
Our subject is a native of St. Clairsville, Ohio, and received the greater part of his education in the schools of Wheeling and in Belmont County. He is a most successful business man and has been in business since boyhood. He is a member of the M.E. Church in his religious opinions; in politics he has very little interest, voting for the man who, in his opinion, is most capable to fill the position or office.
Mr. Branum was united in marriage with Nannie Rhodes in 1874. She was a native of Bridgeport, and they had one child, Charles H., who departed this life, December 21, 1899, at the early age of twenty-five years and seven days. His loss was deeply mourned as he was a young man of much promise, and an excellent salesman. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BUNDY, DILLWYN C., secretary and treasurer of the Belmont Insurance Association, of Barnesville, Ohio, is one of Belmont County's representative, substantial and prominent citizens. He bears a name which is honored through the county for its estimable character and is notable as belonging to the pioneer days.
Dillwyn C. Bundy was born in Belmont County, March 29, 1861, a son of Hon. William and Asenath (Doudna) Bundy, the former of whom is one of the distinguished citizens of this county, now retired from the activities of public life. He is one of a family of 12 children born to William and Sarah (Overman) Bundy, eleven of whom still survive. The father of Hon. William Bundy was born in North Carolina, in 1780 and in 1806 came to Belmont County, Ohio, settling on a farm near Barnesville. In 1815 he located his permanent home in Warren township, on section 4, and remained there until his death, which occurred in June, 1828. His wife was also a North Carolinian by birth. Both parents of Hon. William Bundy were consistent and leading members of the Society of Friends. They named their children as follows: Mary, Ezekiel, Eli, Charity, John, Nathan, Sarah, William, Dempsey, Chalkley, and Elizabeth, ten of these being deceased.
Hon. William Bundy was born in Warren township, Belmont County, in 1819, and grew to manhood accustomed to agricultural pursuits. His education was acquired in the country schools. In 1843 he married Prudence Wood, and one child, Allen, was born to this union. Mrs. Bundy died about 18 months after marriage. Three years later, Mr. Bundy married Asenath Doudna, a native of North Carolina. Nine children were born to this union, as follows: Prudence, deceased; T. Clarkson; Joel P., deceased; Almeda, deceased; Evaline, deceased; Charles, deceased; Dillwyn, Rebecca H. and an infant which passed away in babyhood. Mrs. Bundy was a most estimable and dearly beloved Christian woman, and for 42 years was her husband's companion, her death occurring on September 20, 1889. Mr. Bundy followed a farming life, occupying an estate of 365 acres, but, like Cincinnatus of old, he was called from his plow to assume the duties of a statesman, his fellow-citizens electing him as a Representative to the General Assembly, in 1875. Although the district was Democratic, and Mr. Bundy was a Republican in politics, the personal esteem in which he was held resulted in his election. His deep interest in the growth and development of Belmont County has been constant, and although now advanced in years and out of the rapid tide, he notes all local improvements with pleasure and is generous in his assistance of worthy enterprises.
Dillwyn C. Bundy was reared in Warren township, attended the common schools and there laid the foundation of an education which he later completed at the Friends' Boarding School at Barnesville, Ohio. At manhood he located on his present fine farm of 108 acres and is acknowledged to be one of the leading agriculturists of the county. Upon the organization of the Belmont Insurance Association of Barnesville, in 1897, he became its secretary and treasurer. This company represents over $2,000,000 of property, and is conducted exclusively as an association for the insurance of farm property. The amount of insurance now in force is $1,150,000, and the list of policy holders in Belmont County reaches almost 900.
The marriage of Mr. Bundy was to Elizabeth Steer, daughter of James and Mary (Green) Steer, prominent farming people of Belmont County, and a family of five children was born to this union, namely: Charles E., Amie, Walter A., deceased; Mary E., and Margaret A. This family and connections represent many members of the Society of Friends in Belmont County, and is especially known for its public spirit and integrity of life and character. Mr. Bundy is active in his adherence to the Republican party, and is widely known and universally respected. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
BURKHART, ARNOLD WILLIAM - a well-known agriculturist locating in Washington township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born in Monroe County, April 1, 1845, and is a son of Andrew and Eustua (Frankhouser) Burkhart, and grandson of Andrew Burkhart.
Andrew Burkhart, the grandfather, came to this country from Switzerland in 1820, and entered land in York township, Belmont County, Ohio, where he followed the business of a horticulturist. He built a log house on his claim, which stood until destroyed by fire in 1897. He and his wife had six children, as follows: John; Catherine (Syllis), who died at Martin's Ferry; Annie (Muster); Frederick, who was unmarried and died in 1897; Andrew; and Mary, wife of Jacob Kocher of York township.
Andrew Burkhart, father of our subject, was born in Switzerland, in 1808, and at 12 years of age came to Belmont County, Ohio, with his father. He was married here in 1840, and later with his wife removed to Monroe County, Ohio, where both died. He died April 25, 1893, at the age of 85 years, and she died in March, 1894, aged 74 years. His wife was a daughter of Nicholas Frankhouser, a pioneer of Belmont County, and also a native of Switzerland. To this union were born the following children: Arnold W.; Rosanna (Sweigard), a widow residing in Monroe County; Caroline, who resides in Monroe County; Jacob, of Monroe County; Lena, wife of Frank Cain of Parkersburg, West Virginia; Mary, wife of Clarence Carpenter of Iowa; Louisa, wife of Henry Kraft of Monroe County; and Samuel, Lizzie and another daughter who died of diphtheria at an early age.
At the age of 10 years, Arnold W. Burkhart accompanied his parents to Belmont County, where he has since resided. During the Civil War he served some four months with General Sheridan, having enlisted in Company C, 170th Reg., Ohio National Guard, and was wounded at Snicker's Gap, Virginia, in 1864. He remained at home until after his marriage, and then resided on Carpenter's Ridge where Samuel Carpenter now resides. In May, 1888, he bought a part of the old Chandler tract, also known as the William Graham farm, and on this he has since resided. He has 160 acres under a high state of cultivation and devotes it to general farming and stock raising. Honest and straightforward in all his transactions, he has gained the lasting confidence and respect of his fellow citizens, who are pleased to call him a friend.
Mr. Burkhart was joined in marriage with Mary M. Carpenter, youngest daughter of Robert Carpenter, whose wife died December 8, 1898, at the age of 98 years. They have nine children, as follows: Sevilla (Wild), of York township; Lucy (Vandine), who lives at home; Emma H. (Moore), of Bellaire; Jemima (Hendershot); Margaret (Vandine), who lives near her parents; Theodore F.; Grover; Ida; and Eunice. None of the family has ever been sick enough to require the aid of a physician or the use of medicine, which is truly a remarkable record. Although his family has always been Democratic, Mr. Burkhart is a stalwart Republican, and at one time was township assessor. He is a member of the Post No. 595, G.A.R., of Armstrong's Mills. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]