PARKER, OLIVER C., one of the well-known and substantial men of Belmont County, Ohio, has for many years been identified with farming and stock interests, and now finds a pleasant home, retired from activity, in the prosperous city of Martin's Ferry.
The birth of Mr. Parker occurred on March 24, 1829, in Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, a son of Joseph and Mary (Judkins) Parker, both of whom were born in Northampton County, North Carolina, where they were married.
The Parker family is of Welsh origin, and Grandfather Jacob Parker was an example of the best type of that thrifty and energetic people. In 1805 the parents of our subject left their North Carolina farm, with ox-cart and household belongings, and became pioneers in Ohio. For a time they lingered in Jefferson County, but later located in Belmont County, where Joseph Parker rented land for 14 years and then bought 100 acres. Our subject now owns all but 14 acres of the original farm. From the Giffen estate Oliver C. Parker purchased 23½ acres, making in all a total of 109½ acres, underlaid with the Pittsburg or No. 8 vein of coal, which is sold. Joseph Parker was born in 1778 and died in April, 1855, having always been numbered among the useful citizens of the county. The mother of our subject was born in 1787 and died in April, 1871. She was a daughter of James and Martha (Stanton) Judkins, through her mother being related to the great Secretary of War, Edwin M. Stanton. She was a most estimable woman, and she professed the simple Friend faith. She lived a life of meekness and kindness, her gentle touch and sympathizing presence often bringing comfort in the neighboring pioneer homes. Joseph Parker was also a Friend, of the orthodox faith, but as he had been reared in a State where he saw the effects of slavery, he was of a more aggressive spirit, and went great lengths to assist the work of the "Underground Railroad." His abolition ideas had much to do with his settlement in Ohio.
Oliver C. Parker was the ninth member of the family of ten children born to his parents, the names being: Abigail, born in 1803, married Joshua Steele, and she died in 1855, aged about 52 years; Jacob, who was a skilled machinist, a builder of threshers, in his day, died on August 21, 1849, aged 43 years; James, who was born in 1809, married Harriet Beck, who died with cholera in 1833 on the farm in Pease township; Dr. William, who was born in 1812, practiced many years in Columbiana County, Ohio, and died at the age of 68 years; Dr. Isaac, who was born in 1815, practiced in Morgan County, Ohio, and died in 1893; Stanton J., who was born in 1818, followed farming and died in 1889; Dr. Joseph, who was born in 1821, practiced in Washington County, Ohio, and died in 1885; Anderson J., who was born in 1824, died on August 20, 1849 - he lived 100 miles from his brother Jacob and died one day earlier. The parents and relatives were starting to attend the funeral of Anderson, when they were prostrated still further by the news of the death of Jacob. Anderson was a teacher, had about finished his law course, came home from St. Clairsville, was taken ill with dysentery and died. The tenth member of the family was Martha A., who married Dr. William Van Pelt, and died in 1854, ten months after marriage, at the age of 21 years. Thus our subject is the only survivor.
Oliver C. Parker received only the educational training obtainable in the district schools in his vicinity. He was reared on the farm and assisted his father, and, as the youngest son, remained with his parents and gave them filial care until they passed out of life. His early interests were centered in agriculture and he has always followed it, succeeding in his farming and also in his breeding and selling of good stock.
Mr. Parker was married in 1864 to Martha Van Pelt, who was an invalid for 12 years, and died January 3, 1877, having been a patient sufferer. She was a daughter of Jacob and Jane (Wiley) Van Pelt, of Belmont County. The second marriage of Mr. Parker was on October 29, 1879, to Mary Kathleen West, a daughter of and the only surviving member of the family of Dr. Simon Brown and Mary Zane (Martin) West. The one child of this union is Simon West, who is a druggist, having studied pharmacy since his 15th year, and is now attending the College of Pharmacy at Scio, Harrison County, Ohio. Mr. Parker is a man of earnest, thoughtful character. Mrs. Parker is a granddaughter of Ebenezer Martin, who was the founder of Martin's Ferry. Her father, Dr. West, was a practitioner in Pease township for 50 years, a man of skill and reputation. He graduated in 1836 from the Cincinnati Medical College, which has graduated five physicians of the name.
Mr. Parker is not a politician, but takes great pride in casting his vote for the candidates of the Republican party. Although his first vote was cast for John P. Hale, the Free-Soil candidate in 1852, since the formation of the Republican party he has been a strong supporter of its principles. He has never missed a vote for a presidential candidate since 1856. He served four years as trustee of Pease township. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PARKINSON, JACOB, is one of the prominent farmer-citizens of Richland township, and owns and operates a fine farm of 204 acres, located within a few miles of St. Clairsville, Belmont County. He was born October 5, 1854, in the township which is still his home.
William Parkinson, the father of Jacob, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1827, came to Belmont County in 1851 and died here in 1899. He was a farmer through life in Richland township and was prominent in Democratic political circles. He held the position of Infirmary director during a number of terms and his wise administration of affairs resulted in more comforts for the inmates and less needless expenditure to the county. The mother of Mr. Parkinson was Mary Lynn, a daughter of James and Isabel ______________________ township, and still survives, at the age of 72 years, a resident of Richland township. The four children born to our subject's parents were: Jacob, James L., a resident of Richland township; Mary Bell, the wife of Frank S. Waddell, of Richland township; and Daniel K., who is farming on the old homestead.
Jacob Parkinson grew up on his father's farm and obtained his education in the common schools. In 1883 he married Sarah Brown, a daughter of James and Mary Brown, who was born in Cincinnati, in 1861, and was a teacher in Logan County. The five children born to this union were: Jessie Lynn, born in 1884; Louie May, born in 1886; William B., born in 1889; Mary Isabel, born in 1896, deceased; and Frank H., born in 1901. The religious connection of Mr. Parkinson and family is with the Methodist Church. His large farm is devoted to both farming and stock raising and is most pleasantly situated, within seven miles of St. Clairsville. In politics, our subject affiliates with the Democratic party. He is known to be an upright, honest man, a fine farmer, good neighbor and devoted to the welfare of his home and family, and is a worthy representative of the best citizenship of his township. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PATTERSON, MRS. HARRIET B.-- a well-known and most highly esteemed resident and property owner of Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, was born at Bridgeport, Ohio, in 1839, a daughter of Dr. John G. and Mary (Howard) Affleck, and the widow of the late B.C. Patterson, who passed at his home in Pease township in 1900 at the age of 73 years.
No history of Belmont County would be complete without mention of the Howard family, which for integrity, industry and high principles has not been excelled by any others. Horton Howard, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Patterson, was born in England, and with his brother John, whose descendants still reside in Colerain township, Belmont County, came to America in 1796, after the close of the Revolutionary War, and, attracted by the mild climate and fertility of the soil, settled in North Carolina. There, however, they found slavery existing under conditions which made them look farther for permanent homes. Horton Howard was a Quaker preacher, plain and unassuming, a man of peace, and when he settled in Colerain township, about 1799, the few wandering Indians became his friends and the orchards he planted and the buildings he erected never suffered from their depredations. One of these orchards still produces fruit, and a substantial barn is utilized by the Starbuck family, which now own a large part of the land he first located, when he was one of the first settlers in Colerain township, Belmont County. He married Hannah Hastings, of Delaware, and they later moved to Columbus, Ohio, where he died in 1832, conducting a land office at that time, disposing of his large holdings. His children were: Mary, the mother of Mrs. Patterson, born in 1809, died in 1891; Mrs. Sarah Forrer; Horton, who at one time conducted a newspaper at St. Clairsville; Joseph; and John, who became a lawyer at Dayton, Ohio.
In 1837 Mary Howard was married to Dr. Affleck and they located in Bridgeport, where the physician had a large practice and became an honor to his profession. He died there in 1877, aged 75 years. The four children born to Dr. and Mrs. Affleck were: Harriet B., who was born in 1839; Howard, born in 1840, who was killed at the battle of Shiloh during the Civil War, a youth of but 21 years; Edward, born August 23, 1843, a well-known railroad man, having been division agent of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for some years, is now engaged in the coal business at Toledo - he married Laura Walkup, of Columbus, and they have these children - Howard, Florence, Rankin and Edward, Jr.; and Mary, who was born in 1849, married J. Frank Sharp, of Bridgeport, and they now reside at Buffalo, New York.
On Sept. 30, 1858, Harriet B. Affleck was united in marriage with B.C. Patterson, who was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, but came to Belmont County later than 1840. Two sons were born to this union, namely: John G., who resides near his mother, and in September, 1882, married Mary Heil, their children being Catherine, Harriet, Ralph, Marjorie and Mary Martha. Edward, the second son, resides with his mother, and with his brother, John G., carries on a very successful market and fruit business. Mrs. Patterson was given this fine farm of 116 acres by her father, and has resided here for 42 years. She is a valued member of the Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood. In early years Mr. Patterson was a druggist. In politics he was a Republican, in private life a man of admirable tastes, one who was devoted to his home and the welfare of his family. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PATTON, WILLIAM LUTHER, postmaster of Fairpoint, Belmont County, Ohio, is also the owner of a flourishing mercantile business at that place, and is one of the foremost citizens of Wheeling township. He was born June 8, 1849, a son of William and Anna (Clark) Patton, and still resides on his native place, owning a fine farm on the outskirts of the town, where he and his family live very comfortably.
William Patton, the father, was born near Belfast, Ireland, in County Down, in 1799, but immigrated to this country with his parents. He was an honest, straightforward citizen, and a man of very firm opinions. He married Anna Clark, who was born in 1810, a daughter of Alexander Clark of Lancaster County, of the Keystone State. The early education of Mr. Patton was exceedingly limited, for he attended school but six weeks in his life. However, he had an apt, inquiring mind, and succeeded in teaching himself so well that he prospered in his business life and accumulated considerable wealth. This wealth he afterward divided among his twelve children, nine of whom were sons - their names will be mentioned later. In his occupation as general farmer he made a specialty of raising fine stock, and in this branch he was doubly successful and made the greater part of his wealth. At his death, which occurred in 1872 at the age of 73 years, each of his living sons were given a farm. The death of Mrs. Patton occurred in 1885, when she was 75 years of age. Mr. Patton was a Seceder in religious opinions, but his wife was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and during the greater part of his married life Mr. Patton also attended that church, having united with it in later life, and he served faithfully as ruling elder many years. He took no interest in politics, since even in his day he considered them immoral, but from the beginning of the slavery question he was an Abolitionist, although he had nothing to do with the "Underground Railroad" system. He was a member of no sect or order, as his religious ideas forbade it, but he did his part as a citizen to assist in enterprises of worth, and his fellowmen found in him a ready assistant in time of need.
Our subject's brothers and sisters were as follows: Samuel, born in 1830, who died in 1857, when pastor of the United Presbyterian Church of Detroit, was a graduate of the U.P. Seminary at Canonsburg, and it is said preached his first sermon when 20 years of age. He left a widow to mourn for him, her name having been Jennie Lee of Cadiz, Ohio, before her marriage. Margaret, born in 1832, became the wife of Rev. J.P. Robb of Sidney, Ohio, in 1859, he being pastor of the United Presbyterian Church at that place, and they have a daughter, who was educated at Washington Seminary at Washington, Pennsylvania. John, who was born in 1834, and lives at St. Clairsville, Ohio, was united in marriage with Lauretta Thompson, a daughter of Major Thomas Thompson, and has three children. His education was obtained at Franklin College, which he left when the war broke out and became a member of the 98th Reg., O.V.I. Eleanor, born in 1836, became the wife of Rev. Josiah Stevenson of Bellevue, Pennsylvania, a United Presbyterian, who recently went to Ireland and gathered complete data of the Patton family; they have been blessed with eight children. Alexander C., born in 1838, followed farming as a vocation, and when the Civil War broke out enlisted in the 170th Reg., O.V.I., and became a captain later. He married Agnes Sharp of Uniontown, Ohio, and they had two children and lived in Springfield, Ohio, where the father died in 1900. Caroline was born in 1840 and married Addison Lysle of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, a prominent coal dealer, residing in Allegheny, and they had one child. Mrs. Lysle was educated in Washington Seminary and graduated from that institution. James, born in 1842, chose Elizabeth Dunbar, a daughter of William Dunbar, of Uniontown, Ohio, for his wife, and they had three children when she died. He married a second time, this time choosing Agnes Cook, daughter of James Cook of New Athens, Ohio. George M., born in 1844, served in the war as a member of the 98th Reg., O.V.I., and married Louise M. Campbell, a daughter of Dr. John Campbell of Uniontown, who bore him six children. Calvin W., who was born in 1846, was a member of the 170th Reg., O.V.I., during the Civil War, and was united in marriage with Harriet Dunbar and later with Dora Troll, who bore him two children, John T. and C.G. Mrs. Patton formerly resided in St. Clairsville, Ohio. Sylvanus was born in 1852 and died in 1863, aged twelve years. Thomas L., born in 1855, married Jennie McKee of Uniontown, and lives at Alliance, Ohio. They have four children. An only brother of our subject's father died when but 20 years old.
William Luther Patton led Maggie R. McNary, daughter of John McNary, of Belmont County, to the hymeneal altar in 1873. She was born in 1850 and had two brothers. Her scholastic training was obtained in Franklin College, and she and our subject have four children, namely: Lodalee, born November 2, 1874; Park, born in December, 1879; A. Van, born May 5, 1883, and Nellie McNary, born in 1885. They are still residents of the home farm with their parents, and the two eldest children have attended college to obtain the best education as possible. Lodalee graduated at Franklin College in New Athens, Ohio, the third in rank in her class. Park graduated from the High School at St. Clairsville, at Franklin College also, and took a business course at the business college at Poughkeepsie, thus fitting himself thoroughly for the position he occupies as professor of mathematics in Curry College of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. A. Van has graduated from the High School at St. Clairsville, also is clerking in his father's store, but his parents believe that children should not be sent to school too young, and he will be given ample opportunity to take a more advanced course at some college at a later date.
Mr. Patton has had charge of the duties at the post office since 1886, except about six months during Cleveland's administration, and he has proved a most valuable man for the place, being of an accommodating, cheerful nature. He has built up a hustling business and has the best patronage of the village, which speaks for his ability as a merchant and his popularity as a citizen. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PEREGOY, FRED CANNON, M.D., One of the enterprising and successful young physicians of Barnesville, Ohio, is Dr. Fred Cannon Peregoy, who was born in New Athens, Ohio, March 31, 1869, and is a son of Rev. William and Malinda E. (Cannon) Peregoy.
Rev. William Peregoy was born in Shepherdstown, Ohio, where he resided up to the time he became a minister of the Methodist Church. He now has a charge in Youngstown, Ohio.
Dr. Peregoy attended the public schools and New Concord College, and on deciding to study medicine entered the office of Dr. A.H. Trueman, of Cumberland, Ohio. Later he took a complete reading course under Dr. N. Obetz, of Columbus, Ohio, prior to entering Starling Medical College in that city. He graduated from this institution on March 6, 1890, and in the fall of the same year located in Barnesville, where he has met with gratifying success. He is deeply interested in his profession and keeps abreast of all the modern discoveries and inventions in medicine and surgery.
Dr. Peregoy was united in marriage with Anna L. Hance, a daughter of George Hance, of Barnesville. Both are active members of the Methodist Church, and are highly esteemed socially. The Doctor belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also has membership with the Belmont County Medical Society. His political affiliation is with the Republican party. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PERKINS, MOSES, a prominent farmer, stock raiser and dealer, residing in section 11, Kirkwood township, Belmont County, was born on the farm now owned by his nephew, Samuel W. Perkins, December 6, 1829. He is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hart) Perkins.
His parents were both natives of Maryland. His father, Samuel, came to Kirkwood townships as early as 1802, when the forest had scarcely been touched by the hand of man. He built a shed in which to live until the completion of his house, and the 160 acres which comprised his home farm have since been in possession of the Perkins family. He held no offices and was a good farmer, giving that work his entire attention. He served as a private during the War of 1812, and made an honorable record as a soldier. He died at the age of 73 years, and was survived six years by his wife, who died at the age of 80 years. He and his wife were both faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To their union were born the following children: Nelson, who farmed in this county until his death at the age of 60 years; Rebecca, the wife of Reuben Mitcalf, died at the age of 75 years; Maria, who died at the age of 20 years; Cassander, who died at the age of 25 years; Jonathan, a record of whose life appears in the biography of Samuel W. Perkins; William, a farmer of this county, who died at the age of 60 years; Delilah, who died at the age of 27, was the wife of Fielder Perkins; Letha, who died at the age of 16 years; and Moses, the only surviving member of the family. Four of the girls died of scarlet fever within four months.
Moses Perkins was educated in the common schools of his community, and as a boy assisted in the work upon the farm. He has disposed of 60 acres of the original tract held by him, but retains some 100 acres, which are planted to wheat and corn for the most part. The land is well improved and is underlaid with coal which has never been leased or sold. He is one of the reliable citizens of his township, and wherever known is held in the highest esteem.
Mr. Perkins was joined in marriage November 11, 1853, with Rebecca J. Murphy, a native of this county and a daughter of L.D. and Elizabeth Murphy, the father a native of Ohio, and the mother, of Maryland. She is one of nine children, the others being: Delilah, who resides in Wisconsin, is widow of George Weeden, who was killed as a soldier in the Union army; Brice M., a farmer, living in Wisconsin; Sarah J., wife of David Majors, of Kirkwood township; A.C., deceased; Asbury, a farmer of Kirkwood township; Hamilton, a farmer of Kirkwood township; James A., deceased; and L.D., deceased, who was a farmer in Belmont County and later in Wisconsin.
Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have three children: Elizabeth, wife of Wilson McWilliams, a farmer of the county, has four children living - Weldie, Campsie, Frederick and Eva B.; Mary F., wife of O.B. Groves, a contract plasterer of Barnesville, has six children - Forest and Belle, deceased, Gertrude, Everett, Moses and Willard; and Rosa I., who married Colbert Sheppard, and both are deceased, leaving one child, Mary Ethel, who married Oliver M. Smith, September 6, 1902. Mrs. Perkins is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PERKINS, SAMUEL W. - a farmer and stock raiser residing in section 17, Kirkwood township, Belmont County, was born in this township July 14, 1849. He is a son of Rev. Jonathan and Rebecca (Majors) Perkins, and a grandson of Samuel Perkins, after whom he was named. The last named was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his widow received a pension for nearly 15 years.
Rev. Jonathan Perkins was born June 15, 1820, where the house of our subject now stands, and was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. He traveled the Moorefield circuit and was senior minister of the circuit. He later had a local charge and was a man of great popularity, enjoying the distinction of having united in marriage and buried more people than any other minister in the county. He served as justice of the peace some 12 or 15 years, and his efforts were successful in amicably settling the differences of his neighbors without the intervention of the courts. During the Civil War he was captain of a military company which took out to oppose the Morgan raid. He was a strong abolitionist and believed in a vigorous prosecution of the war. At one time he owned nearly a section of land and was a very successful farmer. In 1872 he had a large quantity of wool destroyed in the great Boston fire, but his loss was comparatively slight, owing to the property being insured. His death, which occurred August 28, 1887, was widely deplored, as he had lived a very useful life and came from one of the early families of the county. He joined the church at the age of 17 years and ever after was a consistent Christian. He served as class leader in the church at Salem, and during a period of 15 years never missed a class meeting. He was united in marriage February 8, 1846, to Rebecca Majors, who was born in section 18, Kirkwood township, September 9, 1825, and died August 25, 1902. She was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for many years was quite active in church work. She was a great home woman until the death of her husband, when home lost its charms, and she thereafter spent her declining years at the homes of her children, whose chief joy was ministering to her wants. Eight children blessed the union of Rev. and Mrs. Perkins, five of whom survive, namely: Sarah E., wife of George E. Smith; Samuel W.; Margaret R., wife of J.W. Anderson, a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Wichita, Kansas; Josephine O., wife of Albert S. Reynolds, a justice of the peace of Kirkwood township, and N.S.G., who resides where his father lived.
Samuel W. Perkins was educated in the common schools and later at Hopedale, after which he took to agricultural pursuits. He has 210 acres of well improved land, and all is underlaid with coal. He raises some stock that he sells, and winters about 35 head. He is one of the substantial men of his township, of which he is now serving his second term as trustee.
March 29, 1876, Mr. Perkins was united in marriage with Nannie A. Anderson, a native of this county, and a daughter of D.P. and Margaret Anderson, the former of whom died in 1890, and the latter April 18, 1902, at the age of 86 years. Mr. Anderson and wife had the following children: Rev. J.W.; Mary, wife of Rev. W.G. Cash, superintendent of schools at Morristown for a time; Nannie A., and Ella M., wife of G.W. Warrick, who resides on the old Anderson homestead in this county. Our subject and his wife have four children, as follows: Emsley O., a member of the class of 1904 at Athens College; Isa Edith, who married F.J. Hamilton, a manufacturer of cigars at Hendrysburg, O., and has a daughter, Carrie L.; Jonathan F., who lives at home on the farm; and Margaret R., who is attending school. Our subject and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been trustee and steward. He has frequently served as superintendent of Sunday-schools and has been a leader for about 10 years. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a Republican. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PETTY, EDWARD T., who is one of the oldest practicing attorneys of Barnesville, Ohio, and one of the leading men of the city, was born on September 26, 1843, in Noble (formerly Monroe) County, Ohio. He is a son of Jesse L. and Elizabeth (Thomas) Petty. The father was born in Virginia, located in Ohio in 1811, and followed an agricultural life until his death, in 1887. The mother passed away in 1883. They were the parents of seven children.
Edward T. Petty was reared on a farm and obtained his mental training in the common schools. When but 18 years of age he enlisted in the early part of 1861 in the noted 42nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., which was under the command of the lamented President Garfield. Three years later, at the expiration of his term of service, he re-enlisted in the 5th United States Veteran Corps (Hancock's), with which he continued in all of its battles and campaigns until it was finally mustered out in the spring of 1866. Immediately following his army experience Mr. Petty became a teacher and followed this profession for six years, in the meantime reading law. This resulted in his admission to the bar in the spring of 1877, and he began the practice of law in Barnesville, Ohio, in June, 1879. In 1884 Mr. Petty formed a legal partnership with Judge Smith, of St. Clairsville, the firm style being Petty & Smith. During the greater part of the continuance of this partnership Mr. Petty served as city attorney, and he firmly established himself as one of the able advocates of Belmont County.
Mr. Petty married Rebecca E. Miller, the accomplished daughter of Eliza Miller, of Muskingum County, Ohio. The offspring of this union was one son, who is now largely interested in the Guffy Oil Company in Texas; one daughter, who is the wife of J.M. O'Donnell, and two daughters, who are at home. In church relations the family are Methodists. Fraternally, Mr. Petty has long been connected with the Masonic bodies and with the Grand Army of the Republic since its organization. In politics he is a zealous Republican and a leader in his party. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PHILLIPS, D.T., M.D., physician and surgeon, and mayor of the town of Morristown, Ohio, has had a uniformly successful career both in his profession and as a political leader. He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, on March 31, 1868, a son of Elijah and Delilah (Keadle) Phillips, both of whom are natives of the same county.
The family is of Welsh origin, Evan Phillips, the grandfather of Dr. Phillips, being born in Maryland of Welsh parents. Elijah Phillips was born in 1828 and has followed an agricultural life in the Belmont County until the present date, and has been identified with township affairs, serving as trustee and for the past two consecutive terms as township land appraiser. The mother of Dr. Phillips was born in 1836 and married in 1854. With her husband, she is active and valued in the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Phillips is one of a family 13 children born to his parents, the eighth in order of birth, the others being the following: James L., a cabinetmaker, carpenter and contractor at Beallsville, Ohio; John M., a farmer of this county, died in January, 1892, about 34 years of age; Melissa E., solicitor for the Singer Sewing Machine Company in Cleveland, Ohio; William D., formerly in the express business, now in the postal service, since 1892 on the route between Cleveland and Indianapolis; Minnie, the wife of William Deaver, residents on a part of the home farm; Elijah B., chief of police at Plattsmouth, State of Nebraska; Martha J., deceased; Rodney A., a professional musician and stage performer; Almeda E., the wife of Giffen Null, a farmer in this county; Walter S., a contracting plumber, was smothered in a trench he was inspecting, at Carroll, Iowa; and Addie L. and Jennie Florence, both at home, highly educated young ladies, quite capable as teachers. The whole family is musical, and while only one brother has turned his talent into a business, when all are at home an orchestra is formed which could command a high price from an opera or concert manager. All have been thoroughly educated and represent one of the most intellectual as well as physically perfect families in the community. The five surviving brothers have the unique distinction of being of the same height, over six feet, and are equally proportioned, and all are men of dignified bearing and affable manner.
Dr. Phillips was fortunate in his birth and environments, coming into a family where culture, education and refinement occupied proper positions in the scheme of life. After completing his common school course, he was given advantages in the Beallsville Normal School, and then took up the profession of teaching, and succeeded so well that if he had not been still more strongly influenced in the direction of medicine, he would doubtless have become one of the State's leading educators. For 52 months he continued a teacher, in the meantime reading medicine under Dr. G.W. Steward, of Jerusalem, Ohio, and so thoroughly prepared himself in the details that his graduation from Starling Medical College, of Columbus, followed in 1897. Dr. Phillips graduated at the head of his class and was awarded the gold medal for excellent scholarship. On account of this brilliancy, he was in demand as hospital interne, but refused several very flattering offers in order to locate at Morristown and enter upon regular practice. Since April, 1897, he has been a successful practitioner in this town, being especially skilled in surgery. He is a member of the American Medical Association, is examiner for the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company, and is lodge physician for both the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. The most cordial relations exist between him and brother practitioners, and he is a valued member of fraternal and social organizations.
Dr. Phillips acts politically with the Democratic party in State and national affairs, but independently in local matters. In 1899 he was appointed mayor of Morristown to fill the unexpired term of Hon. A.M. Majors, and so well were municipal affairs managed and adjusted by him that at the election in the spring of 1902 he was the candidate of both parties, who were glad to testify to his efficiency and to enjoy a clean, conservative and effective administration. Dr. Phillips is yet a young man and his past and present popularity point to still higher honors, both in professional and political life. Dr. Phillips is a member of Hazen Lodge, No. 251, F. & A.M., and Chapter No. 69, R.A.M., of Barnesville, Ohio. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PHILLIPS, GEORGE K., postmaster at Glencoe, Richland township, Belmont County, and chief clerk of the Belmont Coal Company at this point, and well known through his participation in other business enterprises, was born in Goshen township, near Belmont, in 1870, being a son of Ralph W. and Margaret (Dermott) Phillips.
Ralph W. Phillips was born in 1834, in Goshen township and is a representative farmer of Belmont County. For 20 years he was a successful teacher and for 11 years has been township trustee. His wife was born in 1836, in Ireland. At the age of ten years she came to America with her parents, Thomas and Margaret Dermott, who now reside in Goshen township. The children born to our subject's parents were: William, who died at the age of three years; Jennie, who married Edward C. Michael, United States Express agent, at Bellaire, and they have two children; Lawrence, who operates a well drill, resides at Belmont - he married Rachel Eckles and they have four children; and George K.
George K. Phillips obtained his education in the public schools at Belmont, and was 16 years old when he taught his first term of school, at Wood Grove, Union township, and continued to teach at the one place for three successive years. For a period he successfully operated a farm in Belmont County and then became the owner and operator of the Belmont Roller Mills, remaining with this plant for four years. In February, 1902, he was made chief clerk of the Belmont Coal Company, and for 18 months previous to this date he was head shipping clerk of the Bellaire Bottle Company. He was appointed postmaster of Glencoe in 1902. In politics he is an active Republican and takes much interest in the success of the candidates and measures of this party.
In 1894, Mr. Phillips was married to Della M. Lewis, who was born in Goshen township, a daughter of John I. and Mary J. Lewis, and two children have been born to this union, viz.: Nellie M., born in 1896, and William, in 1899. Mr. Phillips is an enterprising and successful business man, who is awake to the demands of the times, and through stability of character enjoys the confidence of his employers as well as the public. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PICKENS, HUGH M., who is extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits in his native township, was born September 25, 1833, in Pease township, Belmont County, Ohio, in his father's cabin in the northern part of the township. He is a son of John Clark and Martha (McConahey) Pickens, and grandson of William and Agnes (Alexander) Pickens.
William Pickens, grandfather of our subject, was born September 15, 1762, in Scotland, and with two of his brothers came to this country, locating in Maryland. He came to Belmont County, Ohio, early in the nineteenth century and secured land in the northern part of Pease township from Robert and Elizabeth Woods. It was a tract of 220 acres extending to the Jefferson County line and located in section 33, township 4, range 2. The deed to this property bears date of October 21, 1821, and has since been in the possession of the Pickens family. In 1822 William Pickens built a house which is still standing and is used now by S.A.C. Pickens. He was a cabinetmaker by trade, also a mill-wright, and made doors, mouldings, etc. He built and conducted the first sawmill on Deep Run. Later he moved to Mount Pleasant, where he became a large property holder, and there he lived until his death, April 24, 1841. William Pickens was first married to Agnes Alexander, who was born in Scotland in 1762, came to America in 1771, and died April 4, 1817. He formed a second union with Margaret DeMent, who was born August 3, 1779. By his first wife he had the following children: Margaret, born March 5, 1790; Thomas, born February 26, 1792; James, born June 13, 1794; Ellen, born October 20, 1796; William, born April 10, 1799; Janet, born November 14, 1801; John Clark, born August 15, 1806, and Alexander, born August 31, 1811.
John Clark Pickens was born in Pease township and reared on the home farm. He purchased the farm now owned by his son, S.A.C. Pickens, from the other heirs, and died in the residence where he had lived from the time he was 17 years of age. He was married February 9, 1831, to Martha McConahey, who was born April 12, 1807, at Warrenton, Ohio, and died March 23, 1881. Their children were as follows: William, Hugh M., Margaret E., James Calvin, Thomas M., Agnes Eliza, Martha J., and Samuel A.C. William, who was born March 7, 1832, and died in 1884, married a daughter of Dr. Caldwell, who survives him. They had the following children: Rev. John, who is a Presbyterian minister; Hugh, who lives with his mother; Harry, who is married and lives at Adena, Ohio; Herbert, who is a druggist of Pittsburg; Paul, who is in the hardware and general agency business at Colerain; Mrs. Maude (Dungan), who lives on a farm near Newcastle, Pennsylvania; Ors (Edwards), deceased; Bessie, who is at home, and Blanche, Walter and Sadie, who died young. James Calvin was born April 22, 1838, and died October 3, 1839. Margaret E., born June 9, 1836, died March 1, 1847. Thomas M., born February 20, 1840, died September 20, 1849. Agnes Eliza, born April 23, 1843, widow of Rev. Dr. Alexander, who died in Virginia, resides in Wheeling. Martha J., who was born February 9, 1845, died October 28, 1876.
Samuel A.C. Pickens was born in 1848 and has resided on the old home farm all his life. He owns a tract of 181 acres, and since his father's death in 1887 has built a fine new ten-room house. He was married in 1873 to Mary J. Finney, a daughter of Robert J. Finney, and granddaughter of Joseph and Mary (Mitchell) Finney. Joseph Finney came to Ohio from Pennsylvania early in the nineteenth century. He and his wife were parents of the following children: Robert J., John M., who resides on the old home place; James C., deceased; Jane, who resides with John; Elizabeth, wife of George Parks, living in Iowa; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of William Darrah, and Margaret A., whose death occurred recently. Robert J. Finney was born near Martin's Ferry, October 9, 1823. He married Rebecca Gow, a daughter of William Gow, whose family came from Ireland, and she died December 25, 1896, at the age of 69 years. They had twelve children, Margaret A., wife of Frank Jordan, living near Bridgeport; Mary J., born in 1853, wife of Samuel A.C. Pickens; Louise, wife of I.N. Talbot of Martin's Ferry; Janette C., who is at home; William J., who married Emma West and lives in Pease township; Joseph A., who married Eva Shears and lives in Pease township; Laura R., wife of Dr. Burdette of Burgetstown, Pennsylvania; one who died in infancy; Robert L., who married Jane McCune and resides in Pease township; Val I., wife of W. Taylor of Pease township; and John C., who is single and lives at home. Samuel A.C. Pickens and wife have five children, as follows: Elmer E., Mattie I., Robert C., Ada R. and Mary E.
Hugh M. Pickens was reared on the farm now owned by S.A.C. Pickens and lived there until his marriage in 1857. He started for himself and lived on a farm near the old home place for some years, then was located on a farm near Mount Pleasant for a period of eleven years. Disposing of that place, he moved to Scotch Ridge, in Pease township, where he continued until 1882, when he purchased and located upon his present home farm on the Burlington Pike, about four miles northwest of Martin's Ferry. He is a very prosperous farmer and one of the respected citizens of his section.
December 24, 1857, Hugh M. Pickens was joined in the bonds of matrimony with Margaret M. Jamison, who was born in Harrison County, Ohio, December 25, 1841, and is a daughter of Alexander and Mary Jamison, both of whom are deceased. Thirteen children have blessed this union: Martha Ada, born August 25, 1859, died September 8, 1864; James Alexander, born March 2, 1861, died September 19, 1863; Mary Margaret, born September 20, 1862, died September 6, 1864; John Ross, born July 21, 1875, resides in Denver, Colorado; William Clark, a twin brother of John Ross, is employed in the large department store of Stone & Thomas at Wheeling; Barclay Jamison, born June 18, 1867, is employed at the Hub clothing store at Wheeling; Samuel McConahey, born April 4, 1869, died July 29, 1870; Athelbert Hugh, born February 7, 1871, married Nevada Darrah and resides with our subject; a son, born February 17, 1875, died on October 5 of that year; a daughter, also born February 17, 1875, died on June 20, 1875; Martha Jane, born August 4, 1876, married William Irwin and resides at Steubenville, Ohio - they have a son, Hugh P.; Agnes Jamison, born March 16, 1873, is the wife of Walker McConnell, a farmer near Steubenville - they have one child, Mary T., born in September, 1902; Lizzie Lawton, born May 26, 1880, is the only child at home with our subject and his wife. Seven of the children, with their families, are members of the Presbyterian Church, which the Pickens family has always favored. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PIPER, J.W.. M.D., a physician of eminence in Belmont County, and one of the leading and representative citizens of Bethesda, was born in Belmont County, September 29, 1841, being a son of John and Abigail (Linder) Piper, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania, and the latter in Belmont County.
The Piper family has combined German and Scotch ancestry and has been noted for its virility, longevity, and devotion to the tenets of the Methodist Church. John Piper, the father of Dr. Piper, was born May 23, 1805, and died December 24, 1863, and his wife was born December 13, 1810 and died in September, 1892. They were both devoted in their attachment to the Methodist Church and carefully reared their large family to obey its teachings. Mr. Piper came to Ohio a young man and through a long and exemplary life followed agricultural pursuits. They reared to maturity a family of 12 children, consisting of seven sons and five daughters. The names of these children were as follows: Zenas, who resides in Warnock, Ohio, and follows a meat business; Dr. William, who practices his profession at Bellaire; Martha, who was born August 20, 1833, and died September 28, 1861; Lucinda, who married Samuel McKeen, and died in 1890; Marshall, who conducts a boarding house in Bellaire; Elizabeth, who married Thomas C. Stephenson, was born November 10, 1837, and died September 13, 1884, having been a widow since the Civil War; Leah, who was born May 1, 1840, and died June 13, 1869; J.W., who is the subject of this sketch; Wilson S., who is in the express business, and resides in Bellaire; Nathaniel, who resides on a farm near Demos, Ohio; Mary A., who married David Campbell, and resides in Kansas; and Joseph, born February 20, 1850, who was killed by lightening June 20, 1871.
The early education of Dr. Piper was acquired in the public schools and his medical inclinations were encouraged by his elder brother, William, with whom he began his study, continuing from the age of 18 to 21 years. On August 28, 1862, the young medical student put aside his books and ambitions for a future career, and enlisted as a private soldier in Company F, 15th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf. At his first battle, that of Stone River, on Wednesday, December 31, 1862, he was taken prisoner and sent first to Chattanooga, then to Atlanta, later to Montgomery, Alabama, and thence to Richmond, where he was confined for five days in Libby Prison, which the Doctor says were just four and one-half days too many for the times and accommodations. Being paroled, he returned home and about three months later was exchanged and immediately returned to his regiment, which was then at Tullahoma, Tennessee. He was then overtaken by a sickness which confined him to a hospital for five months and when he had sufficiently recovered he was transferred to the invalid corps (Veteran Reserve Corps) at Louisville, Kentucky, and remained with that from December, 1863, to September, 1865, when his term of three years expired. As the war was then closing, our subject felt at liberty to look to his personal interests and began a practice of medicine in Bethesda, in which he has ever since continued. Later he graduated from the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, in the class of 1872. His continuous practice covers some 37 years and during this time his medical and surgical skill has been shown on many occasions. He has been examining surgeon for many insurance companies, is a member of the Ohio Medical Society, has long been regarded as one of the leading men in his profession in this locality, and for many years he has served on the School Board and has advocated all worthy enterprises in his community.
Dr. Piper was married March 3, 1866, to Emma Vanfossen, a native of Goshen township, Belmont County, a daughter of George Vanfossen, who is an esteemed member of the Christian Church, in Bethesda. Mrs. Vanfossen died at the age of 57 years, having been a lifelong member of the Baptist Church. The children born to Dr. and Mrs. Piper are the following: Lewis U., a resident of Bethesda, married Laura B. Brown, and has three children - Willard, Grace and Meta; Ada M., who married H.F. Holden of Bethesda, has two children; Josephine L., who married Dr. E.W. Turner, resides in Laurelville, Hocking County, Ohio; and Laura B. and Pearl A., who are still at home. Dr. Piper is a man of character, strong in his beliefs and principles, and is district steward in the Methodist Church, of which his family, even to the grandchildren, are members. His political affiliation is with the Republican party. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PIPER, SAMUEL B., who is township clerk of Warren township, and ex-postmaster of the city of Barnesville, Ohio, is one of the prominent surviving soldiers of the Civil War, and a most highly respected citizen.
Mr. Piper was born June 14, 1837, in Barnesville, where his parents, John H. and Jane E. (Claudy) Piper, resided and where they reared a family of five children. His father was born in Georgetown, Delaware, where he was engaged in the transportation business. His death occurred in Barnesville, in 1876, and his wife survived him until 1885. Until he was 14 years of age, Samuel B. Piper attended the public schools, and at the age of 18 years began to learn the saddlery and harness business, at which he worked for two years. Then he entered the office of the Ohio Central Railroad, now a part of the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad. There he was employed until 1860, and then went into the dry goods business.
On April 15, 1861, Mr. Piper enlisted at Columbus, Ohio, in Company A, for the three months service. Two months later he was mustered out, and on the same day - June 13, 1861, he re-enlisted in the same company for three years. Mr. Piper faithfully performed the duties of a soldier. With great good fortune he escaped danger and was honorably discharged March 28, 1865. Returning to Barnesville, he re-entered the dry goods business, and continued thus until January, 1867. Then he was elected sheriff of Belmont County on the Republican ticket. His duties in that capacity were also performed with completeness, and again he returned to mercantile pursuits. In 1870 he sold his business and became a traveling representative of a wholesale hat and cap establishment of Philadelphia. One year later, he resigned this position, and returned to Barnesville.
In Mr. Piper, Postmaster Lewis found an excellent assistant at this time, and one year later the former was appointed postmaster by President Grant. For 12 years, he continued in this office in Barnesville, and resigned in October, 1886, in order to devote his time to fire and life insurance. In this line Mr. Piper has been engaged successfully ever since. On January 27, 1894, he was appointed township clerk and served thus until the following April. He was elected to the same office in 1894, re-elected in 1896, 1898, 1900 and 1902. His management of the affairs of the office has been so efficient that the public is loath to dispense with his valuable services.
Mr. Piper was married to Sarah E. Frasier, who was a daughter of J.W. Frasier, a prominent farmer of Belmont County. Three daughters were born to this union, namely: Laura B., now Mrs. E.M. Hunt; Mary E.; and Bertha, now Mrs. E.O. Cox. All of the family belong to the Presbyterian Church, with the exception of Mary E., who is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Piper is a man of social instincts and belongs to Friendship Lodge, No. 89, F. & A.M.; Warren Lodge, No. 76, K. of P.; and Hilles Post, No. 220, G.A.R. Mr. Piper is widely known, and enjoys a full measure of public esteem. He is one of the representative citizens of Barnesville.
PIPER, DR. WILLIAM O.S. - is honored and esteemed by the citizens of Bellaire, Ohio, as one of the best physicians of the city, whose future is full of promise. He was born in Glencoe, Belmont County, in 1872, and is a son of Dr. William Piper and grandson of John Piper, who came from Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, and followed farming as a business, his later years being spent on his home place in Mead township, to which he removed a short time before his death.
Dr. William Piper, he father, spent his younger days upon his father's farm and after securing his education taught school for a few years until he determined on the medical profession as his life work. He attended lectures given at Starling Medical College and became a physician in 1857, his first field of practice being at Jacobsburg, Ohio, where he had good success. He practiced later at Newark, Ohio, and at Glencoe, this county, and at last settled permanently in Bellaire in 1890, having his office and residence both at No. 3262 Guernsey street. He is now one of the oldest and best known citizens and practitioners in his native county, and during his 45 years of work has gained the reputation he bears as an expert in his profession, skilled and persevering, and as a man of generous but firm disposition. He has reached the age of 70 years, his birth having taken place in May, 1832, near St. Clairsville, Ohio, and although he has always taken an interest in public affairs he has given his time exclusively to his profession. He was trustee of the Children's Home and surgeon for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for several years. The only sister of our subject is the wife of Rev. A. Johnson, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church at Newark, Ohio.
Dr. William O.S. Piper followed the example of his father and also taught school in his early years, attending medical lectures at Baltimore. His graduation from the University of Baltimore occurred in 1893, and for the past ten years he has been located at Bellaire, where his office and residence are with his father's on Guernsey street. He chose a daughter of Alfred Paull for his wife, and they have one child, William Charles, born in 1901. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, giving of their means toward its support.
Fraternally our subject is a Mason, being a member of the blue lodge and chapter of Bellaire and also of Hope Commandery, No. 26, K.T., of St. Clairsville, Ohio. Socially he is a member of the Belmont County Medical Society and of the Ohio State Medical Society, and is valued for his willing service in both. He now has a regular practice which is daily increasing and by careful study and untiring diligence he keeps abreast of the times, and is well informed on all new developments in the medical world. He is looked upon as a man of fine attainments and natural ability and is one of the best physicians in the city. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PITTMAN, ISAAC H. - a well-known citizen of Pilcher, Wayne township, Belmont County, and the efficient and popular postmaster, was born April 17, 1870, in Monroe County, Ohio, being a son of David B. and Rachel Jane (Ady) Pittman.
The Pittman family is of French origin, but the grandfather of our subject, Theodore Pittman, was a native of Ohio, born near Beallsville, in Monroe County. His son, David B., was born in Monroe County in 1846, but came to Belmont County in 1881, locating first on Piney Creek, near Beallsville, removing to his present fine farm in section 30, near Pilcher, in 1885. For several years he has served as supervisor. His wife, Rachel Jane Ady, was born in 1850, near Cameron, Monroe County, a daughter of Joshua and Catherine (Hurd) Ady. Our subject is the eldest of the seven children born to his parents, the others being: Theodore A., a farmer of Monroe County, who married Ella Hudson and has two children - Elvert and Herbert; Ida, who lives at home; Catherine, who married Ezra Kirkbride, a farmer near Pilcher, and has two children - Rose and Vernon; Charles, who is engaged in the huckster business and resides at Pilcher; and Stephen L. and Marion S., who are both at home.
Mr. Pittman was educated both in Monroe and Belmont counties and took a supplementary course in a normal school. For nine years he engaged in farming in Wayne township, but in 1899 turned his attention in a different direction, embarking in a mercantile business at Pilcher. Since its opening, his business has been greatly enlarged and now Mr. Pittman carries a stock that is valued at $2,000, conducting a general store and supplying a large territory. Since September, 1901, he has also been the postmaster and has become one of the most prominent men of the village, owning his own comfortable and attractive home, his store and other property.
In 1891 Mr. Pittman was married to Flora Sutton, who was born in Wayne township, near Hunter, a daughter of Joseph and Phrelove (Stidd) Sutton, both families being among the early settlers. Mrs. Pittman has one sister, Mrs. Ernest Moore, of Wayne township. Mr. and Mrs. Pittman have one bright little son of 10 years, Bracy S., who is an apt student at school and already a help in the business.
In politics Mr. Pittman is staunch in his Republicanism and is highly valued by his party. His fraternal connection is with the lodge of Knights of Pythias, of Jerusalem, Monroe County. Both he and his estimable wife belong to and liberally assist in supporting the Christian Church. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
POLLOCK, CALVIN, one of the prominent and highly esteemed citizens of Belmont County, Ohio, residing in section 6, in Union township, near Lafferty, was born on the farm which he now owns and operates, on January 21, 1838.
The parents of Mr. Pollock were John and Nancy (Hays) Pollock, both of whom were born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, where they were married on May 20, 1817, and soon after started to found a home in the far West, which was then considered to include the State of Ohio. They lived for a few years in Harrison County, Ohio, and in 1820 came to Belmont County, where Mr. Pollock bought the present family estate from its owner, John Marcus. As one of the pioneers of the county he was well known, and for more than 40 years was called upon to fill various responsible public offices. His political principles made him a Whig in early life, later a Republican, and he was one of the most interested promoters of the "Underground Railroad," his abolition views being well known in his locality. Both he and his wife were leading members of the United Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder for many years. Mr. Pollock was a man of unusual intellect, and during the latter days of his life, when the dark cloud of the Civil War was hovering over the country, he supported the Union to the best of his ability, and kept well informed on all current matters of that momentous period. He did not live to see the opening of hostilities, but he predicted them and hoped for a vigorous policy on the part of the North. His death took place February 26, 1861, his birth having been on March 6, 1795. His widow was born on March 25, 1798, and she survived until October 7, 1879, her long life of 82 years having been given to good actions and kind deeds.
Calvin Pollock, of this sketch, was the 12th member of his parents' family of 14 children, the others being: Samuel, who was born January 11, 1818, was a farmer in Belmont County, where he died at the age of 64 years; William H., who was born October 7, 1819, died at about the age of 65 years; James and Alexander both died in infancy; Robert J., who was born December 24, 1824, is a resident of Wheeling township; Hannah Jane, who was born November 21, 1826, married Dr. J.H. Crumbacker, and resides at Antrim, Ohio; Eleanor, who was born October 19, 1828, married James Lynn, of Washington County, Pennsylvania; John, who was born October 8, 1830, died at the age of 33 years, from a wound received at the battle of Chickamauga; James, who was born August 8, 1832, died at the age of 18 years; Margaret, who was born April 8, 1834, married Alexander Cook, and resides in Cambridge, Ohio; Mary H., who was born May 5, 1836, married John McConnell, and resides in Washington County, Pennsylvania; Sarah R., who is deceased, was born November 8, 1840, and married Mahlon Nichol; and Agnes, deceased, who was born March 8, 1842, and married Rev. J.A. Scroggs, of Washington County, Pennsylvania.
Calvin Pollock was educated in the public schools in his locality, and assisted his father on the farm until 1863, when he took individual charge of the same, when his brother John entered the army. Mr. Pollock has spent his life developing and improving the property, it becoming his by purchase from the other heirs. The farm contains 160 acres and Mr. Pollock only cultivates for home consumption, raising grain, corn and hay. For the past 16 years he has been engaged quite extensively in the dairy business, and ships the milk product of 25 cows to Wheeling, West Virginia. The whole extent of the property is underlaid with coal, rendering it one of the most valuable tracts of land in Union township.
On December 8, 1869, Mr. Pollock was married to Aggie J. Henry, a native of this county, a daughter of John and Ellen (Clark) Henry, the former of whom is a merchant in Fairview, Ohio. Mrs. Pollock is one of a family of four children, viz.: Alexander C., a resident of Allegheny; Mrs. Pollock; Mary D., deceased; and Maggie, deceased. Both Mr. and Mrs. Pollock are members of the United Presbyterian Church, in which the former has been an elder for many years, and both have been teachers in the Sunday-school for over 30 years. Mr. Pollock has never been deeply interested in political problems, but as a strict temperance man acts with the Prohibition party. He is as highly esteemed as any resident of Union township, in every relation of life, and the solid air of comfort which prevails about his home makes it a notable one. Here both he and his estimable wife delight to offer a generous hospitality to their many friends. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
POLLOCK, ROBERT J. -- one of the oldest and most substantial citizens of Wheeling township, Belmont County, Ohio, is a native of the Buckeye State, born in Short Creek township, Harrison County, on Christmas Day, 1824. His parents were John and Agnes (Hays) Pollock, the former of whom was born either in Washington or Beaver County, Pennsylvania, in 1795, a son of Samuel Pollock, probably of Scotch-Irish ancestry.
John Pollock immigrated to Ohio in 1827-28 and located in Union township, Belmont County, purchasing his land from James Marquis, who had made but little improvement upon it. Mr. Pollock was an energetic and industrious man, and in the course of time erected excellent buildings and cleared the land for cultivation. He had married Agnes Hays in Pennsylvania, and they became the parents of 14 children, as follows: Samuel, William, James (1st), Alexander, Robert J., Hannah J., Eleanor, John, James (2nd), Margaret, Mary, Calvin, Sarah R., and Agnes.
Robert J. Pollock has been a resident of Belmont County since he was four years old, and of Wheeling township since his 18th year, and has been identified with its growth and development, especially in agricultural lines. His education was obtained in the district schools of his locality and also at a select school in Loydsville. For a number of years, in his early business life, he engaged in the manufacture of threshing machines, which were regarded as invaluable at that time, although they were built without the present fanning attachment. This was in the early days of harvesting machinery. In 1850, one year after marriage, he began farming and stock-raising, and in both lines of agriculture has been eminently successful.
On December 5, 1849, Robert J. Pollock was married to Mary J. Rainey, daughter of William Rainey, of Wheeling township, who died on October 24, 1882, having been the devoted mother of seven children, namely: William R., John, Emma, Thomas A., Mary, James and Agnes. William R., who is a farmer of Wheeling township, living near Shepherdstown, married first Jennie R. Neal and has one child. His second marriage was to Lizzie Watson. John is a prominent member of the bar of Belmont County, and resides in St. Clairsville, having one child. Emma married John L. Allen, has one child, and they reside near Crab Apple Church. Thomas A. married Belle Allen, and they reside near Fairpoint. Mary married James A. Ross, and they have three children and live near Bellefontaine, Logan County, Ohio. James married Mabel Henderson, daughter of T.J. Henderson, and they have four children. He owns a farm, but resides with his father, and is operating the latter's farm. Agnes is her father's housekeeper, leaving school at the death of her mother. Mr. Pollock has given his children excellent educational advantages and has reared them in a home of comfort and refinement, affording them literary and cultured surroundings. Few residences in the township more completely fill the idea of a comfortable home than that occupied by our subject. It is modern in all of its appointments, and is surrounded with attractive grounds and appointments which Mr. Pollock's ample means have provided. Of quiet, refined, intellectual tastes, he takes much enjoyment in his library and current literature, and while never a politician, is an interested observer of public issues. His first vote was cast for Stephen A. Douglas for president, and later for John C. Fremont, and now gives his support to the Republican party. He has served as director of the County Infirmary, but has refused other offices, although so well qualified to hold them. A strain of Scotch blood not only is observable in his keen gray eyes and rugged physique, but also in his adherence to the faith of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was reared. He is an elder in the church and a most liberal supporter of the church's benevolent and charitable enterprises.
Although Mr. Pollock has passed his 75th birthday, it is only by the written record that it can be believed, his erect figure and alert movements, his interest and usefulness in his locality, his superior judgment in matters of business, all giving him the appearance of a man of not more than 50 years. It has been more than once remarked that his personal appearance reminds many of Salmon P. Chase, that distinguished son of Ohio, while others see in his mild and gentle face a notable resemblance to no less a personage than Horace Greeley. Few citizens of Belmont County more completely represent its best element. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
POOL, JOHN J.
Was born in Belmont county, Ohio, January 24, 1834. He moved from that county in 1853 to California, where he resided three years, removing back to Monroe county, where he remained until 1856, when he came to Gallia county. He was married to Isabella Jeffers, in Belmont county, May 27, 1856. She is a daughter of Francis and Margaret (Fulton) Jeffers, and is a native of the county of Belmont. Her father is deceased. Mr. Pool was elected to the office of infirmary director in 1865, and filled that position for nine years. He was elected to the same office in 1881, and still fills it. He is proprietor of a livery and sale stable in Gallipolis, where all letters should be addressed to him. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
William Pool, of Galveston, (TX) was born near the town of Fairview, Belmont county, Ohio, March 12, 1815. His parents were Benjamin and Rachael (Donnelly) Pool. His father, a millwright by trade, located at what is now Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1823, where he accumulated considerable means and passed most of his mature life. The subject of this sketch was mainly reared at Wheeling, and learned the business of miller under his father. ?At about the age of ten he began steamboating on the Ohio river and followed this on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers for a number of years.
In 1846, while on a trip to New Orleans, he became interested in Texas and decided to come to the country, sailing from that port as mate of the Reliance, a vessel which had been purchased by Texas parties for the cotton trade between Houston and Galveston. He reached Galveston in the month of December, 1846, and for a period of eleven years thereafter ran on the Reliance, most of the time as mate, under Captain John H. Sterrett. In the latter part of the '50s he gave up steamboating and embarked in the butcher business at Galveston, in which business he was interested as a member of the firm of Allen, Pool & Company, until 1884, when he retired. For the past ten years he has been but little before the public, but previous to that time he was one of the most active business men of the city and helped in a considerable measure to build up the commercial and shipping interests of Galveston. The firm of Allen, Pool & Company had a large and favorable business connection both with interior Texas and with the markets of the East, and for some years after the war handled a large volume of trade.
In 1848 Mr. Pool married Miss Harriet Walton, of Wheeling, West Virginia. The issue of this union was several children, four of whom became grown, only one of whom, a daughter, Jennie, now rs. E. L. Hawkins, of Galveston, is living. Mrs. Pool died in 1878. ["History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc.", Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]
PORTERFIELD, J. OLIVER - a well-known educator of Belmont County, Ohio, in which profession he has been engaged for the past 20 years, was born on the home farm in section 31, Smith township, April 11, 1861. He is a son of Alexander and Lydia Jane (Carleton) Porterfield, and grandson of John and Margaret (Robb) Porterfield.
John Porterfield was born in County Donegal, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1801, locating first in Pennsylvania. In 1805, he removed to Jefferson County, Ohio, where he remained until 1811, when he came to Belmont County and located in Richland township on the farm now occupied by Prof. W.D. Porterfield. In 1818 he removed to Smith township, where he died. He and his wife had 16 children, as follows: Elizabeth; Susan; Matthew; John and James, twins; William; Margaret; Emily; Mary, widow of George Myers, residing in Pultney township; Monica; Andrew; Jane; Nathaniel; Alexander; Sarah, widow of George W. Kemp, residing in Goshen township; and Joseph. But two of the family are now living.
Alexander Porterfield was born in Smith township, January 22, 1830, and died June 6, 1900. He was married November 5, 1856, to Lydia Jane Carleton, who was born in Goshen township March 12, 1839, and is a daughter of Thomas and Margaret (Pryor) Carleton. She was born on the farm settled upon by the Carletons in 1814, and which has since been in the possession of the family. Her father, Thomas Carleton, was born in 1813 and died July 15, 1869. He married Margaret Pryor, who was born in 1819 and died October 16, 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Carleton were parents of the following children: Lydia Jane; Joshua, deceased; Mark L.; Margaret Ann (Bentley), deceased; Thomas W., of Smith township; William, of Smith township; Elizabeth (Kinney), on Montgomery County, Kansas; and John O., of Goshen township.
Alexander Porterfield and wife had five children, as follows: Margaret Isabelle, who is at home; Clara D., wife of J.W. Stonebraker of Smith township; J. Oliver, subject of this sketch; Emma L., wife of W.W. Lucas of Smith township; and Crawford O., who owns and resides on a part of the home farm in Smith township - he married Margaret I. Mellott, a daughter of Joshua R. Mellott of Smith township.
J. Oliver Porterfield was reared and primarily educated in the country schools. He entered upon his profession in 1883, and has since continued, his first schools being at Lampsville and in Goshen township. During 1886 and 1887 he taught at Hopedale College in Harrison County, and has since been located at many different places. He is at present in charge of the Lampsville school. He has never married and resides at the home built by his father in 1875, a most substantial and comfortable brick structure. The farm consists of 480 acres and is owned by various members of the family. They make a specialty of raising Delaine sheep and Shorthorn cattle.
Politically, our subject is a Republican and since September 1, 1900, has served as a member of the board of school examiners for the county. He was appointed to this office for a term of three years. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PORTERFIELD, WILLIAM D. -- a well-known educator of Belmont County, Ohio, was born on the farm on which he now resides, about four miles south of St. Clairsville, in 1861. He is a son of Andrew and grandson of James Porterfield. The grandfather, with his brother, John, came to Ohio from Pennsylvania at an early day, first settling in Jefferson County. He then came to Richland township and established the old family homestead.
Andrew Porterfield was also born on the old homestead in Richland township in 1819, and was a farmer and stock raiser by occupation. He was reared in the old Seceder's Church, and after the war united with the Presbyterian Church, of which he was for many years a trustee at Warnock. He was a member of St. Clairsville Lodge of Masons, and in politics was a Republican. He was one of the primitive Abolitionists, and his opinions on the slavery question determined his secession from the church. He died in 1884. He married Elizabeth Adeline Glasgow, who was born in Richland township in 1837, and is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Blocher) Glasgow. Her father was born in Ireland and came to Belmont County about 1825, teaching school during a greater part of his life. Her mother was of Dutch stock, her parents being Marylanders. The mother of our subject was reared to the Methodist faith, but after marriage attended the Presbyterian Church with her husband. Two children were born to them: William D. and Mary E., wife of James B. Wilkinson, they residing on a portion of the homestead, which originally consisted of 170 acres.
William D. Porterfield attended the public schools of Richland township and the St. Clairsville High School. In August, 1882, he matriculated at Ohio Normal University at Ada, graduating with the degree of B.S. in 1885. He then taught school for six years at his home school, three years in the village of Glencoe, and was township superintendent for three years. He was the first township superintendent and introduced the plan of township organization and supervision of schools. He accepted the chairs of English and History in Franklin College in the fall of 1895, and filled the position acceptably for six years. Inducements were offered him to remain, but he had determined to withdraw. During the winters of 1901-02-03 he taught in the schools of St. Clairsville.
In 1886 Mr. Porterfield was united in marriage with Myrtle E. Bear, who was born near Dayton, Ohio, in 1866, and is a daughter of Henry and Ellen Bear. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania, and the father was a farmer by occupation. They are parents of two children, as follows: Clarence V., born in 1888; and Henry A., born in 1891. Religiously, Mr. and Mrs. Porterfield are members of the Presbyterian Church at Warnock. He is a Republican in politics. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
POTTS, CHARLES E., night superintendent of the Aetna Standard Mill, at No. 706 West Washington street, Martin's Ferry, is a man who, as his position indicates, carries the respect and esteem of his employers and is numbered among the representative citizens of this county. He is a son of Nathan H. and Anna D. Potts, and was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 7, 1867.
Nathan H. Potts followed farming pursuits until the war broke out between the North and South, and he enlisted in the Army in April, 1861, during the first call of President Lincoln for 75,000 volunteers. He was wounded in the left limb at Salem, May 3, 1863, and returned to his home, where he took a position as chief of telegraph operators in Philadelphia. During the remainder of his life he held this position, and January 19, 1884, he departed this life, aged 44 years, four months and 20 days. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the latter's death took place September 30, 1874, at the age of 24 years. They had only two children, Charles, our subject, and Orville, who died in 1872 at the age of two years, having contracted the smallpox when it was epidemic in Philadelphia.
Our subject was reared by his grandparents and sent to school in Philadelphia, after which he learned the trade of a tanner and currier for four years, and went to Martin's Ferry in 1886. He found employment in the Aetna Standard Mill, where he has ever since been engaged, and he has held his present position for nearly five years.
March 12, 1894, he was united in marriage with Olive Carpenter, a daughter of Eugene and Oella (Farmer) Carpenter, and a native of Martin's Ferry. The Farmers and Carpenters were old families, well known in Belmont County, who were born, reared and died with the interests of its cities and towns at heart. Mrs. Potts is one of a family of ten children - Leona V., who died when 19 years of age; Olive, our subject's wife; Ethel M., who died March 6, 1889, aged 14 years; Claud E., a cooper in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania; Pearl, who died at the age of six weeks; Pearl, the second, now Mrs. Larry Broderick, residing in Coraopolis also; Myrtle, a resident of Springdale, Pennsylvania; Isaac C., numbered among the residents of Coraopolis, where he following the trade of a cooper; Grover C., likewise a cooper in Coraopolis; Una, who died July 3, 1891, aged 14 months. The parents were devoted and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. and Mrs. Potts have three children, viz., Wilfred Eugene, Elton Gifford and Thelma Leota. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The father of Mrs. Potts died March 16, 1901, aged 51 years, and his wife died October 9, 1894. They left an example and record as most excellent people, leading devout and worthy lives, which afford a pleasing memory to a large circle of acquaintances. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
PUGH, MORGAN, a member of one of the most prominent old families of Washington township, Belmont County, was born on his present farm, June 3, 1832, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Pittman) Pugh, and a grandson of Jesse Pugh.
Jesse Pugh was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, whence he came, about 1800, to Belmont County, Ohio. He cleared a large tract of land at the mouth of Pea Vine Creek, and founded a family which later became so numerous in the vicinity that it gave the name to Pugh Ridge. Here Jesse Pugh died, having reared these children: John, Morgan, David, Samuel, Elizabeth and Sarah, all of whom have passed out of life.
Samuel Pugh, the fourth son of Jesse, was born July 3, 1804, in York township, Belmont County, and died during the Civil War. His wife, Sarah (Pittman) Pugh, was born May 3, 1811, and died March 21, 1875. She was a daughter of Jacob Pittman and was born in Monroe County, Ohio. They were parents of the following children: Edwin, Edward, Morgan, Melinda, Gordon, Samuel, Rebecca Jane, Sarah Ann, Helen, Clarissa, Louisa, Elizabeth, Matilda, Thomas J. and Lovina E. Edwin, who was born October 8, 1830, resides in Missouri. Edward, the twin of Edwin, died October 3, 1838. Melinda, who is deceased, was born October 7, 1833. Gordon, who was born February 15, 1835, resides in Beallsville, Monroe County, and still owns land on Pugh Ridge in Washington township, this county. Samuel, who was born July 27, 1837, resides in Iowa. Rebecca Jane, who was born February 9, 1839, died in 1900, in Virginia. Sarah Ann, who was born November 3, 1840, married J.S. Davis, and they reside in the vicinity of the old home. Helen, who was born January 28, 1842, married John F. McWilliams, and resides in West Virginia. Clarissa, who was born September 8, 1843, died October 13, 1844. Louisa, who was born May 8, 1845, died May 7, 1846. Elizabeth, who was born January 27, 1847, married Jason D. Hendershot of Washington township. Matilda, who was born January 9, 1849, died March 8, 1851. Thomas J., who was born in 1852, resides on the home farm in Washington township. He married Susan Ruble, who was born May 21, 1858, and is a daughter of Daniel Ruble, a pioneer of York township, and they have these children - Mary Blanche, Ira Ross, Zella, Leah Alice and Carrie Bell. Lovina E., who was born February 8, 1855, is the wife of Abraham Workman, and resides in West Virginia. Samuel Pugh made his home on Pugh Ridge and at the time of his death owned 600 acres of land, which became the property of his children.
Morgan Pugh was reared and obtained his education in Washington township. This fertile part of Belmont County has always been his home and here he owns a quarter section of well-improved land, devoting his energies to general farming and stock raising. Being a man of practical ideas and excellent business capacity, he has prospered and is justly regarded as being one of the solid men of the township.
In 1857 our subject was united in marriage with Hannah Noffsinger, a daughter of John Noffsinger, of Belmont County, and they had one son, Cadmus, who died in infancy. In politics, Mr. Pugh is a Democrat, and has served as school director very acceptably. Fraternally, he belongs to the lodge of Odd Fellows, formerly of Armstrong's Mills. Religiously, he favors the Christian Church. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]