ADAMS, David S. -- one of the prominent citizens of Colerain township, was born in Washington county, Penn., January 2, 1820, son of Dr. David and
Eliza (Stewart) Adams. The father was born in Pennsylvania, where he educated himself in the practice of medicine, and was a successful practitioner for several years. He remained in Pennsylvania till his death. The mother was born and reared in Pennsylvania and was of a very noted family. Our subject grew to manhood in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1838. He received a good common school education. In 1841 he married Margarita C. McNeely, daughter of William and Eliza McNeely. He was for a number of years cashier of the old St. Clairsville bank, and served two terms as auditor of Belmont county. To this union six children were born, all living: William, Charles, Mary, wife of L. Danford, Stewart, Ella Lee and Thomas. The mother was born and raised in St. Clairsville. This wife died while he was in the late war, and in 1866 he married Mrs. Isabella Robson, wife of John Robson (deceased). They have two children, Mark A. and Anna. The mother was born in Ohio, W. Va., and came to Ohio when three years of age. In June, 1863, he went out as a lieutenant, and on January 24, 1865, he resigned his position and was discharged on account of disabilities. He was under Col. Wallace, Fifteenth Ohio regiment. He also had two sons in the war, William, who enlisted in 1861, Company E, Fifteenth regiment, under Capt. Danford, and Charles D., enlisted in 1862, and was in the navy in what they called Mississippi flotilla. Mr. Adams has always taken an active part in politics, and was one of the organizers of the know-nothing party of Belmont county. He was at the head of the movement in St. Clairsville, from which point the whole county was organized. Along in the '50's he was appointed to fill a vacancy in the clerk's office of Belmont county caused by the death of William R. Carroll, and after serving out that time he was nominated by the republican party, and was elected over J. R. Mitchell by a handsome majority, and served out his second term with credit to himself. He was the first wool buyer who bought and shipped wool in Belmont county. "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890."
ALDREDGE, MADISON, formerly a well known resident of Martin's Ferry, and auditor of Belmont County, Ohio, and now residing in St. Clairsville, Ohio, was born at Martin's Ferry in 1858, and is a son of Madison M. and M.A. (Chaffin) Aldredge.
Madison M. Aldredge was born in Eastern Virginia in 1816. At an early age he became a mechanic and continued thus for many years. He was for a considerable period a government storekeeper. He moved from Eastern Virginia to Wheeling, (West) Virginia, in 1846, and resided there until 1861, with the exception of a short time in 1850, when he lived in Martin's Ferry. In 1861, he took up his residence in Martin's Ferry, and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1890. He was united in marriage with Miss M.A. Chaffin of Wheeling, who was born in 1822, and died in 1895. They reared the following children: Stanton and Sanford, deceased; Madison; and Edgar, of Moline, Illinois.
Madison Aldredge was reared and schooled at Martin's Ferry, and there learned the trade of a pattern-maker, which he followed until the fall of 1895. In that year he was elected auditor of Belmont County. He assumed his official duties in October, 1896, and his manner of discharging them won for him the approval and support of the people, as was evidenced by his re-election in the fall of 1898.
Mr. Aldredge was united in marriage with Dora E. Moore, of Bellaire, Ohio, and they are parents of the following children: Ewer P.; Edna M.; Hattie G.; Madison, Jr.; and Frank. In politics Mr. Aldredge is unswerving in his adherence to the principles of the Republican party. Fraternally, he is a member of Lodge No. 486, F. & A.M.; Chapter No. 54, R.A.M.; Hope Commandery No. 26, K.T.; Aladdin Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.; and Lodge No. 54, K. of P. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ALEXANDER, HON. ROSS J., a most highly esteemed resident of Bridgeport, Ohio, has been a prominent figure in professional and political life in Belmont County for a number of years, resigning the cares of business in 1894, after a successful and honorable career.
Mr. Alexander claims an old and honored ancestry. The first member of this branch of the Alexander family of which we find authentic mention was James Alexander, the great-great-grandfather of our subject, who was born in 1706 near Campbelltown, Scotland, and who came to the United States in 1774, his tomb now being found at Slate Ridge, Maryland. His son, James, the second of the name, was born in 1733 in Scotland also, and came to America in 1771, dying May 9, 1817, at the age of 84 years. He served during the Revolutionary War with the Pennsylvania troops, his home being in the vicinity of York, in that State. He was buried in the Alexander Cemetery at South Ridge, in Belmont County, Ohio. James Alexander (2) was twice married, his first wife, Margaret Wilson, dying in Scotland, leaving four children, namely: Andrew, James, Margaret and Jane - the eldest of these, James (3), being our subject's grandfather. The second marriage was to Margaret Clarke Ross, and seven children were born to this union.
James Alexander (3), the grandfather of Hon. Ross J. Alexander, was born in Scotland, came to the United States in 1766, and died May 11, 1852, at the age of 95 years. He married Isabella Ross and had a family of ten children, namely, Margaret, James, Agnes, Jane W., Isabella R., John, Jenetta, Peter, Robert Jefferson and Lavinia, all of whom have passed away. Of this family Agnes, born May 15, 1792, was the first white child born in Belmont County. She died February 20, 1825. Her marriage was to Robert Gray, and of their four children, James A., lately deceased, was a banker at Martin's Ferry, Ohio.
Robert Jefferson Alexander, the father of our subject, was born October 6, 1806, and died January 30, 1863. On November 1, 1831, he married Mary A. Jennings, a native of Belmont County, and a daughter of David Jennings, for many years prominent in political life as State Senator and member of Congress, and for 15 years county prosecuting attorney. Mrs. Alexander was one of a family of six children born to her parents, viz., Mary A., Rachel R., Jacob D., David L., Jonathan G. and Margaret L. - Jonathan G. being the only survivor. The Jennings family is an honorable one in a number of the States of the Union. Jacob Jennings, the maternal great-great-grandfather of our subject, served as a minute man in the militia of Morris County, New Jersey, during the Revolutionary War, and his wife was Mary Kennedy, a daughter of Rev. Samuel Kennedy. Jacob Jennings (2), our subject's great-grandfather, also participated in the Revolutionary War, and the document is in the family's possession which tells that he was captain of the Jersey Blues and a surgeon in the Sussex County Militia during this period. He was severely wounded at the battle of Trenton, December 26, 1776, and bore the marks of the conflict until his death. At the age of 40 years he was licensed to preach by the Dutch Reformed Church and removed to Virginia, and in 1802 served at Pittsburg as the first moderator of the synod. Mrs. Alexander was a niece of the distinguished Jonathan Jennings, who was the first Governor of the State of Indiana and for whom a county in the southeastern part of the State was named, and the State of Indiana has recently erected a $5,000 monument to his memory.
Robert Jefferson Alexander was an able attorney and practiced all his life in Belmont County, serving through two terms as county prosecuting attorney, and was the first judge of the Court of Common Pleas under the new Constitution of 1851, his term covering five years of service. His interest was pronounced in the fostering of public educational enterprises, and he favored legislation for the advancement of agricultural opportunities. Mr. Alexander was born on October 6, 1806, and through a period of 57 years was one of the most useful citizens of Belmont County. The children born to this first marriage were as follows: Theresa, who is Mrs. K.S. Boreman, of Parkersburg, West Virginia; Ross J., who is the subject of this sketch; Robert J., who is a resident of the State of Washington, and William W., who resides at Akron, Ohio. The mother of these children died in 1844 at the age of 33 years. The second marriage of Mr. Alexander was to a sister of his first wife, Rachel R., who was the widow of William H. Tallman, the one daughter born to this union being Mary Ann, the wife of James Murray, of Wheeling, West Virginia.
The birth of Ross J. Alexander occurred in Belmont County on Christmas Day, 1834. He was reared in a home of refinement and intelligence and was offered excellent educational advantages. From Linsly Institute in Wheeling he went to Franklin College, Ohio, and later graduated with the highest honors in the class of 1854 from Washington and Jefferson College, in Pennsylvania. Under his eminent father he studied law and was admitted to practice in December, 1856, locating in St. Clairsville. For a period of 18 years Mr. Alexander carried on a large and absorbing practice in that place, removing in 1872 to Bridgeport, only to change the location, not the nature or volume, of his business. Many honors have been shown our subject by appreciative fellow citizens. For 12 years he was master commissioner of the county and for two terms he was the municipal head of the city of St. Clairsville. He has served as a member of the Bridgeport Council a number of times, has been a member of and president of the Bridgeport School Board for many years, and has been identified with all public enterprises of lasting value. During two years he was an efficient member of the Ohio Legislature, rendering his party yeoman service during the administration of President Cleveland. He also served in the far West as a member of the Puyallup Indian Commission of the State of Washington, in all of these varied responsible offices upholding the dignity of the position and conscientiously performing the many duties.
On July 14, 1858, Mr. Alexander was united in marriage with Margaretta Askew, a native of St. Clairsville and a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (McElroy) Askew, the latter of whom was a daughter of John McElroy, who was a captain in the War of 1812. A family of four children were born to our subject and wife, as follows: Marian, who married William Alexander, resides in Kansas City, Kansas, and they have two children, Askew and Ross J.; Lillian, who married Frank Sigel, resides at Kansas City, Missouri, and has two daughters, Margaret and Virginia; Minnie R., who married J.C. Heinlein, a prominent attorney of Bridgeport, and their children are Margaret, George and Dorothy; and St. Clair, of Kansas City, Missouri. Both our subject and wife are leading members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a well-known member of the Masonic order and has held the highest positions in lodge, chapter and commandery, and has been a delegate many times to all the grand bodies in the State. From his youth he has been interested in politics, and is an ardent advocate of unadulterated Jeffersonian Democracy. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ALLEN, DAVID K., a prominent business man of Martin's Ferry, was born in Bridgeport, Ohio, on the Kirkwood side, on June 5, 1844. His parents were David and Ann S. (Kirkwood) Allen, the latter a member of an old and distinguished family of the State.
David Allen, the father of David K., was born in 1796 and died October 23, 1872. His life has been one of active endeavor in many lines. His birthplace was in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and there he was educated and became cashier in a local bank. Later he became a partial owner and one of the directors of the first foundry erected at Wheeling, and after locating there engaged in the commission mercantile business, which he also carried on at Bridgeport, Ohio. He commanded a company during the War of 1812 and was very prominent in political life. After serving through two terms as auditor of Belmont County, he was elected to the Senate from this county and subsequently was re-elected. Mr. Allen for some time was also engaged in an insurance business. He was acknowledged to be the best-informed man in the county on current literature and through life exerted a wide influence. His wife was a daughter of Joseph Kirkwood, whose father commanded a Delaware regiment during the Revolutionary War. Mrs. Allen died on November 3, 1887, aged 77 years, her birth having been on February 28, 1812. The children born to David Allen and wife were the following: Sutia A.K., deceased, was the wife of Albert Rice; Mary B., deceased, was the wife of John F. Wetzel, a descendant of Lewis Wetzel, the famous Indian fighter; Robert K., resides at Dixmont, Pennsylvania, where he is assistant superintendent of a hospital; Margaret E., is Mrs. James M. Culbertson and resides at Alliance, Ohio; James died at the age of six years; David K., of this sketch was the sixth child in order of birth; the next was an unnamed infant; Jonathan G., resides at Marshall, Texas; Joseph K., resides in Alliance, Ohio; James P., resides in Cumberland, Maryland; and George G., resides at Boston, Massachusetts.
David K. Allen enjoyed educational advantages in the schools of Bridgeport and later took a course at Wheeling, West Virginia, under Professor Harding. He had scarcely completed his schooling when he enlisted for service in the Civil War, on August 15, 1862, entering Company F, 59th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and took part in his first battle on October 8, 1862, at Perryville, although he had been through several skirmishes prior to this. In the Army of the Ohio he participated in all the Atlanta campaign and was under those noted Ohio generals, Sherman and Schofield. After the siege of Atlanta, Mr. Allen was a member of the 23rd Army Corps, which was sent by General Sherman to relieve General Corse at the dreadful battle of Altoona Pass. "Hold the fort for troops are coming" was Sherman's signal to Corse, but before General Sherman arrived General Corse had defeated the enemy and put them to flight. Mr. Allen's corps went with Sherman as far as Rome, Georgia, and then they were ordered back to Tennessee, via Chattanooga, Columbia, Spring Hill and, after the battle there on November 29th, reached Franklin on November 30, 1864.
At the battle which took place at Franklin, Mr. Allen was severely wounded, in the head, leg, and breast near the heart. These injuries not only closed his career as a soldier, but very nearly ended his life. For months he was paralyzed and it was long a matter of doubt about his final recovery. He remained in the hospital at Nashville, Tennessee, until December 8, 1864, and was then sent to the hospital at Madison, Indiana, where he received care until March, 1865, when he was sent to the Wheeling Hospital from which he was discharged on June 6, 1865, having faithfully served and suffered for his country. After the close of the war, Mr. Allen took a course under Professor Harding as noted.
Mr. Allen then learned telegraphing and served with the Western Union Telegraph Company until 1868 and then was manager of the Pacific & Atlantic at Bridgeport, having the telegraph office located in his grocery store, which business was carried on for about six years. He then opened up a coal business in Kirkwood where he is owner of considerable valuable property, comprising some 60 acres of land, both improved and vacant. In 1878 Mr. Allen located in Martin's Ferry and became identified with coal mining. He owns some desirable property which he has worked by others. He developed a fine vein of sand in this locality and for five years has worked it. Mr. Allen was one of the early developers of the mining industry in this section and has been more or less interested in coal since 1865.
Mr. Allen is deeply interested in G.A.R. movements. He has been four times elected commander of Thoburn Post, No. 72, of Martin's Ferry and has high rank in all the soldier organizations in the county. Mr. Allen was the organizer in this section of the Sons of Veterans and the Union Veteran Legion and is now chairman of the soldiers' relief committee of the First and Second wards, having held this position for the past 16 years. Among his most cherished possessions is a commission as notary public from Comrade William McKinley, who was Governor of Ohio when it was given. This he prizes both on account of old associations as a comrade and also on account of the high esteem in which he always held the beloved chief magistrate as a man.
On March 11, 1873, Mr. Allen was married to Mary Florence Crosby, daughter of John and Eliza (Andrews) Crosby, both deceased. Both Mr. and Mrs. Allen belong to the Kirkwood Presbyterian Church. He was a charter member of the Federation of Labor in Martin's Ferry and framed its constitution and by-laws, and is still in sympathy with the union. Mr. Allen's record as a soldier is one of which his friends are justly proud. As a civilian he is an upright, substantial and worthy business man. Martin's Ferry has many estimable citizens, but none are more deserving of public esteem and confidence than is David K. Allen. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ALLEN, WILLIAM A., one of the successful farmers, large land owners and prominent citizens of Belmont County, is located in the southwest corner of Pease township, on a well appointed and finely cultivated farm of 500 acres.
Mr. Allen is a native of both Pease township and Belmont County, and was born in 1858. He is a son of John and Sarah (Greenlee) Allen, the former of whom was also born in Pease township, in 1814, and died in 1886. John Allen, the grandfather, was one of the pioneers who settled Belmont County and secured a large tract of land, at the time of his decease owning about 1,000 acres in Pease and Pultney townships. Here he carried on large farming operations and engaged extensively in sheep raising. Grandfather Allen was born in Scotland, but married a Miss Giffin in America and reared two sons and three daughters. These were: John, William, Margaret, Isabel, and Martha. John and his son William, the subject of this sketch, now occupy his farm, which lies in Pease and Pultney townships. Margaret married a Mr. Hinkle. Martha married a Mr. Greenlee. All are now deceased.
John Allen, son of John, also engaged extensively in farming and stock raising, and amassed an ample fortune. In political belief he was a Democrat. In 1848 he married Sarah Greenlee, who was born in Belmont County, in 1822, and died in 1861. She was the mother of seven children, of whom only two lived to reach maturity, out subject and a sister, Martha J., who married F.D. Bailey, and resided at St. Clairsville until her death in 1884. The others were: James, John, Lizzie Bell, and an unnamed infant.
William A. Allen has always resided on the home place, which is excellently improved and one of the most valuable estates in the county. He engages in general farming, operating his farm with great success, being a thorough agriculturist. In politics Mr. Allen has always been identified with the Democratic party.
The lady who became the wife of William A. Allen was a Miss Annie Warrell, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania. A son and daughter complete the home circle, Sarah Janet and William A., Jr. Mr. Allen and family are valued and consistent members of High Ridge United Presbyterian Church. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
AMRINE, JOHN, whose death occurred August 27, 1901, at Bridgeport, Ohio, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 10, 1820, and he lived practically all his life in his native county.
He was a son of Peter and Nancy Amrine, who were among the hardy pioneer settlers of Ohio. His mother died in 1832 of cholera. The family then removed to Perry County, Ohio. John did not like his new home, and, with his father's permission, returned to Belmont County; although only a boy of 12, he walked all the way back, and thus young John Amrine started upon his own resources in the race of life.
For several years he made his home with his uncle, Francis McConnell, and worked at farming on Scotch Ridge, and elsewhere. He followed boating on the Ohio River for 16 years.
At the age of 30 years he was united in marriage with Deborah Enlow, a daughter of Jacob and Rachel Enlow, who were also pioneer residents of Belmont County. From this union they had a family of nine children, of whom Mary B., the widow of Jeremiah Sturgeon; Virginia A., the wife of Milton McConnaughy; Miss Gertrude H. and Fred S. Amrine are still living; and Frank H., who died in 1895, leaving a widow, Mrs. Jessie Bailey Amrine, and one child, Frank.
Mrs. John Amrine was born February 7, 1826, and died December 13, 1895.
Peter Amrine, the father of our subject, died April 20, 1864, aged 74 years.
Soon after his marriage, John Amrine engaged in the coal boating business with Hugh McNeely and others, and although his business did not prove very lucrative, yet he gave $200 of his meager savings to build the First Methodist Episcopal Church that was built in Bridgeport, and in later years proved his devotion to the cause of Christianity by giving liberally toward the erection of the other two brick Methodist Episcopal Churches in Kirkwood.
For 67 years Mr. Amrine was a devout member of the Methodist Church, serving most in some official capacity.
He was public spirited and was the first to take stock in the Aetna Mill in 1873, and was later a charter member of the re-organized Aetna-Standard Mills.
In fraternal circles, he was an active Mason for many years, and was the last of the charter members of the Bridgeport blue lodge.
John Amrine was a true and earnest patriot during the great war for the Union, and throughout his life he loved to talk and read of Lincoln, Grant, Garfield, McKinley and others of our good and great. He was an ardent Republican.
The last 40 years of his life he was engaged in farming and market gardening, and enjoyed his fine suburban home with his interesting family; and thus we see this boy with the rough exterior of pioneer life, without a mother's love to guide or a father's hand to protect, no paternal roof, and with but little school privileges, and yet making life a success.
With the practice of industry, economy and sobriety, and being possessed of many of the fine sterling qualities of heart and mind, John Amrine walked amid the rough environments of a life on the river and the crude times of his early days, and yet he became the honored citizen, the good friend and the worthy Christian gentleman.
He was cast in a gentle mold, and yet he was ever firm and steadfast for the right. He loved fair dealing, and his genial manner made and kept all who knew him his friends.
In his last illness he found delight in giving Christian advice and counsel to all who came to his bedside. His last hours were a fit ending of an upright, exemplary life.
Soothed and sustained by an unfaltering trust, he "approached the grave like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams."
"Calm and peaceful be thy sleep," good friend. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ANSHUTZ, HENRY C. - a prosperous farmer residing on the southeast corner of Washington township, Belmont County, was born at Moundsville, (West) Virginia, March 26, 1846. He is a son of Christian and Catherine M. (Jenewine) Anshutz, both natives of Germany.
The parents of our subject came to the United States when children and their marriage occurred in Belmont County, Ohio. The father came to this country about 1836 and for a number of years was an engineer in a flouring mill in this section. He was located at Moundsville when our subject was born. He followed the same line of business for a period of 14 years. In 1855 he returned to Belmont County and located on a farm now mainly owned and operated by his son, Henry C. He purchased land in section 1, Washington township, first buying 80 acres, to which he subsequently added. His death occurred in 1869, at the age of 56 years. His wife is still living at the age of 82 years and makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Gates, living in the West. They had four children, as follows: Sarah Amelia, wife of Robert Gates, residing at Nevada, Missouri; Edward, who died in Kansas, leaving a wife and three children; Charles, who died in Nevada, after having traveled extensively over the West; and Henry C., whose name heads this biography.
Henry C. Anshutz was nine years of age when his father moved upon his present home farm, and here he has since resided. He owns this farm of 160 acres and has some 40 acres in section 7, all well improved with substantial buildings. The original log house has been remodeled and rebuilt into a comfortable modern home, and a new barn was constructed in 1893. He follows general farming and has raised very fine stock.
In 1869, Mr. Anshutz was married to Charlotte Fraley, a sister of Frederick Fraley, whose life sketch appears elsewhere in this work, and nine children have been born to them, as follows: Luella, wife of William Hendershot, residing at Bellaire, where he is agent for the Singer Sewing Machine Company; George, a farmer residing at Armstrong's Mills, married Etta Hendershot; Edward, a farmer living near Beallsville, Monroe County, Ohio, married Orissa Dawson; Emma, wife of William Schafer, resides near Barnesville, where her husband farms; Robert; Amos; Arminta; Annie and Cora, the last five living at home with their parents. Politically, our subject is a Democrat. Religiously, he is a member of the Lutheran Church, attending St. John's Church in Monroe County. . ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
J.R. ANDERSON, superintendent of the public schools of Belmont County, Ohio, a man of scholarly attainments and personal popularity, is an Ohio product, born at Bellaire in 1863, a son of Isaac C. and Mahala J. (Lashley) Anderson, the latter of whom belongs to an old county family which located southeast of the city of Bellaire as early as 1830.
The Andersons were natives of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and there Isaac C. Anderson was born 76 years ago. A notable occasion was the celebration of the golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac C. Anderson, which took place at the family residence, No. 612 Vine street, Bellaire, in October, 1901. Mr. Anderson is a veteran of the Civil War, and he and his estimable wife are the central figures in a large family of children, namely: William, who is engaged in business in connection with the Bellaire Foundry & Machine Company; Mrs. P.R. Myers, who resides at Quincy, Illinois; Mrs. N.J. McDonald, who resides in Bellaire; Newton, who is also connected with the Bellaire Foundry; J. Albert, who resides at South Bend, Indiana; J.R., who is the subject of this review; Mrs. Maria J. Simpson, who lives in Bellaire; Mrs. O.C. Henry, who is a resident of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and Charles, who is associated with the subject of this sketch in the ownership of the Bellaire Foundry & Machine Company plant.
The primary education of Superintendent Anderson was obtained in the public schools of Bellaire, and his degree of M.A. was secured after doing collegiate work at Bethany, West Virginia. Mr. Anderson's services were immediately secured in the public schools of his native city, and for one year he was principal of the Second Ward school and for ten years was assistant principal of the Central building, in 1898 becoming superintendent, filling the position with the same efficiency which has marked his whole professional career, bringing the schools to a high standard.
The Bellaire Foundry & Machine Company, with which enterprise our subject is financially connected, was established in 1895 by Charles and J.R. Anderson and Clarence Simpson, the last named withdrawing after three years. The business is now the property of the Anderson brothers and is located at the corner of 33rd and Hamilton streets, where a large business is done, requiring the aid of a number of skilled foundrymen and machinists. It is one of the successful industries of Bellaire.
The marriage of Prof. J.R. Anderson was to a daughter of John Wood, who came some thirty years ago to Bellaire, and for thirty years has been one of the leading contracting carpenters in this vicinity. Mr. and Mrs. Wood reside at Shadyside. The seven children born to our subject and wife were as follows: Edward, Clarence, Walter, Robert, Bertie, Ethel and Raymond. Our subject was reared to believe implicitly in the principles of the Republican party, of which his father has been an adherent from its organization, and is active in its interests. Fraternally he is associated with the Ionic Lodge, F. & A.M., of Bellaire, the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows. The Christian Church has long been the religious body with which both the Anderson and the Wood families have been identified, and our subject is one of its deacons and liberal supporters. His standing as teacher and citizen is unquestioned, and his personal attributes have brought to him a wide circle of friends. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ANDERSON, JAMES F.
JAMES F. ANDERSON, an attorney of Bellaire, Ohio, has, since 1871, been the publisher and editor of the "Independent," the oldest surviving newspaper in the city. He was born in Pultney township, Belmont County, and has always resided in the township and Bellaire.
In the Civil War he served as sergeant of Company I, 170th Reg,. Ohio Vol. Inf. In 1870 he was admitted to the Ohio bar. For the past 30 years he has taken an active part in politics, being a Republican. He has been a member of the county and city boards of school examiners.
In 1871 Mr. Anderson took charge of the "Independent," and has, except for an interval of about two years, conducted it since that time. He is interested in a number of the business enterprises of his locality, has been president of the Belmont Savings & Loan Company since its organization, and is president of the Board of Trade of Bellaire. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Publ. Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1903 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
ARMSTRONG, CRAWFORD WELSH - owner and operator of the Armstrong Mills in Washington township, located at one of the important stations on the Ohio River & Western Railroad, is one of the leading business men of Belmont County. Mr. Armstrong owns the town site at this place, and has had the property surveyed and platted, it being the only one of its kind in Washington township. Here he as erected a number of comfortable houses, many of which he has sold to resident employees of the great mills. For a number of years Mr. Armstrong has concentrated his efforts here and has engaged extensively in a mercantile business.
On December 5, 1841, Mr. Armstrong was born at Armstrong's Mills, being a son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Welsh) Armstrong, the former of whom was born March 11, 1813, in Belmont County, a son of that old pioneer Thomas Armstrong, who, with his family, migrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio and settled in 1811 on Captina Creek. Here Thomas Armstrong started a tannery and young Alexander learned the business and when, in 1833, the father opened up a general store, the son was equally useful in a clerical position, exhibiting indeed so excellent a business capacity that in 1839 he was admitted to a partnership, his brother James receiving the other half interest in 1843. In 1844 Alexander Armstrong purchased the grist mill which his father built and continued to operate it in connection with a woolen factory, at the latter place manufacturing cloth and yarns and working the wool into rolls for the use of the neighboring farmers' wives. In 1847 the brothers disposed of their dry goods and discontinued that branch of their business, but Alexander subsequently opened a new store, in partnership with a Mr. Miller, who, in 1849, sold his interest to James Armstrong. The firm of Armstrong Brothers continued until 1854, when the goods were again disposed of and the store room was leased to William Woodburn, who continued there a few years and then removed his stock elsewhere.
About 1858 Alexander Armstrong, who was a born merchant, again started into the mercantile business at his old stand, in partnership with E.W. Bryson, the latter retiring six years later, and Mr. Armstrong continuing alone until his death in March, 1884. During all this time he also conducted the woolen factory which he had built in 1846 and which is still a part of the large store building now occupied by the firm of C.W. Armstrong & Son. Mr. Armstrong was the postmaster at this place from the receipt of his commission from President Tyler until his death, and he was succeeded for one year by his son, C.W. Armstrong. The mercantile business is now conducted by a Mr. Lindsey, who is also the postmaster. Alexander Armstrong was a man of unusual business acumen and became possessed of a large amount of property, owning 1,100 acres of land exclusive of his mills and stores. He was one of the important factors in the organization of the Bellaire & Southwestern Railroad, now the Bellaire, Zanesville & Cincinnati Railway, and served both as director and as vice-president. A later reorganization has changed this road into the Ohio River & Western Railroad, but during Mr. Armstrong's connection it bore its former name. He was prominent also in the Methodist Church, and also in public life, as late at 1871 having a clerical position under the administration of Hon. Isaac Welsh in the State Treasurer's office. In all these various lines of activity, Mr. Armstrong displayed an uprightness of character and recognition of business integrity which reflects honor upon his family and the enterprises which bear his name.
In 1839 Alexander Armstrong was united in marriage with Elizabeth Welsh, who was born February 21, 1819, in Belmont County, and was a daughter of Crawford and Mary Ann (Erford) Welsh, the former of whom was born July 7, 1784, in York County, Pennsylvania, and married in 1807; and the latter of whom was born September 20, 1789, in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and died February 21, 1875. Crawford Welsh came to Belmont County soon after his marriage and took up land in the eastern part of Richland township, bringing his wife in 1808 and here he died December 13, 1863. He had been a man of affairs and had served four terms in the Ohio Legislature. These children were born to Crawford Welsh and wife: John, Isaac, Henry, David, Elizabeth, James R., Temperance, Mary Jane, and Crawford Erford. John, who was born December 15, 1808, became prominent and served as associate judge in this county but died at Laclede, Missouri, in 1866. Isaac, who was born July 20, 1811, married Mary Armstrong, daughter of Thomas Armstrong, moved then to Beallsville, Monroe County, engaging in mercantile pursuits and the buying and shipping of tobacco, until 1854. Then he removed to a farm on Captina Creek, near Armstrong's Mills, and lived there until death. In 1857 he was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives by the united vote of Americans and Republicans, was re-elected in 1859, and then served two years as Senator from the Belmont and Harrison County district. In 1868 he was presidential elector for the 16th District and was chosen to carry the vote of Ohio to Washington. In 1871 he was elected State Treasurer and held the office to within six weeks of the expiration of his second term, his son Leroy completing the unexpired time, Mr. Welsh dying November 29, 1875. Henry, who was born April 5, 1814, moved to near Laclede, Missouri, and died there. David, who was born August 27, 1816, died July 29, 1866, at Glencoe, Richland township, having served as surgeon of the 33rd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., through the Civil War. James R., who was born September 7, 1821, died in youth. Temperance, who was born August 9, 1824, married Rev. John C. Thompson, a minister of the Congregational Church, and died May 29, 1901, at Clarksfield, Ohio. Mary Jane, who was born January 10, 1828, died young. Crawford Erford, the only survivor, was born December 19, 1833, served in the Civil War as a member of Company F, 15th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., from August, 1862, until discharged December 19, 1864, on account of a severe wound in the leg, received in June, 1864, at Kenesaw Mountain, has never married but resides at Armstrong's Mills and has been elected five times as township treasurer.
The children of Alexander and Elizabeth (Welsh) Armstrong were these: Julius, Crawford Welsh, Zwingle, Alonzo A., Hon. Elihu B., Rev. Thomas, Leroy Wood, and Mary Elizabeth. Julius Armstrong was born April 6, 1840, and resides at Columbus, where he is chief clerk in the office of the Secretary of State, having been first appointed by Governor McKinley and re-appointed by Governor Nash. From August, 1862, until the close of the Civil War he served in Company F, 52nd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf. He married Lizzie Warren of Belmont County and has three children - Edna, Clara and Warren. Zwingle Armstrong was born December 22, 1843, and resides at Armstrong's Mills on his farm of 475 acres, where he built an elegant brick residence in 1860. His first marriage was to Rosalie Kelley, who was born in 1853 at St. Clairsville, daughter of John and Rachel (Judkins) Kelley, the former a county treasurer many years ago. Mrs. Armstrong died 30 years since. The present Mrs. Zwingle Armstrong was formerly the widow of H.T. Meek, of Bellaire, and the children of her first marriage are: Nellie, the wife of J.M. Armstrong of Pittsburg; and Elsie, a student at Mount Union College. Alonzo A. Armstrong was born November 23, 1846, and is an Indian agent for the government in Arizona. He married Jennie Woodburn and they have one daughter, Florence. Hon. Elihu B. Armstrong was born September 7, 1849, has served two terms as State legislator and resides at Armstrong's Mills. He married Mary H. Lindsey, who died in November, 1899; the six children of this union are as follows: Carl, Bertie and Bertha (twins), Rex, Robert and Edith. Rev. Thomas Armstrong was born October 15, 1852, and is the pastor of the Methodist Church at Cadiz, Ohio. He married Maggie Neff and they have three children. Leroy Wood Armstrong was born May 26, 1857, and resides on his farm near the mills. He married Mattie Armstrong of Delaware, Ohio. Mary Elizabeth, who was born September 3, 1861, married John A. Lindsey, and they reside on a farm near Farmer City, Illinois, and have two children - Edith and Leone.
Crawford Welsh Armstrong, our subject, has made his home at Armstrong's Mills all life except during an army service and from 1866 to 1871, when in business at Glencoe. From 1872 to 1882, at which time he purchased the mill, he was engaged in merchandising for his father and managed the mill, in the latter year purchasing the mill. He carried on the business on his own account until it was burned in April, 1900. No time was lost in rebuilding the mill, with increased facilities, and it was started January 15, 1901, with a capacity of 35 barrels. After the death of his father, our subject with his brother, Elihu B. Armstrong, continued the store about one year and then sold that line to Julius Armstrong, who several years later sold to H.B. Wilkinson, who in turn sold to is present proprietor, A.J. Lindsey. In the fall of 1892 our subject started the present store, which is conducted under the firm name of C.W. Armstrong & Son, the latter, Frank B., having taken a half interest and for some years having been the manager of this large stock. Mr. Armstrong owns 50 acres of the town site, as noted before, and has done much to make this a very attractive locality.
In July, 1867, Mr. Armstrong married Sarah A. Elliott, who was born in 1844, a daughter of Thomas Elliott of Trumbull County, Ohio. The children born to this union are: Frank B., a very successful business man; Estella E., the wife of Luther Perkins of this vicinity, their children being - Mary and Chester; Bessie B., a student in a medical college at Columbus preparing for a professional life; Harry M., an engineer at the flouring mill; and Gertrude, at home.
Mr. Armstrong has a notable war record; enlisting as a private in November, 1861, in Company D, 43rd Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., he was soon promoted to be corporal; December 31, 1863, he was appointed duty sergeant; and August 9, 1864, 1st sergeant. On April 1, 1865, he was made captain and mustered out as such July 19, 1865. Politically he has always been identified with the Republican party, as have the other members of his family. Many township offices have been thrust upon him, and he served three years as jury commissioner, one of the first appointments by Judge J.B. Driggs in this county under the new law. For the past 30 years he has been a consistent member of the Methodist Church. His fraternal relations are with Hess Post, G.A.R., No. 595, of Armstrong's Mills. In every relation of life Mr. Armstrong occupies an honorable position and he is very justly regarded as one of the most progressive business men of Belmont County. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ARNOLD, CHARLES, one of Bellaire's eminent and valuable citizens, is a member of the drug firm of Charles Arnold & Company, whose first-class establishment is at No. 3123 Union street. Mr. Arnold has been connected with this drug business since July 5, 1892, having purchased at that time the store of D.H. Darrah, which had been established for a number of years. A full line of the best pure drugs is carried, in addition to the numerous large and small articles usually found in a store of the kind; the compounding of prescriptions constitutes a large part of the firm's business.
Mr. Arnold is a son of Adam and Barbara (Rice) Arnold, was born in 1867 near Beallsville, Monroe County, Ohio, and spent his youthful days in that vicinity. Adam Arnold was born in Fulda, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and immigrated to the United States while still a boy, proceeding to Wheeling, (West) Virginia, upon his arrival in this country. He spent only a short time in that city, however, going from there to Bellaire, where by diligence and study he mastered the English language. Removing from Bellaire in 1852, he worked in the southern part of Belmont County at various places and finally went to Monroe County and began farming there. In this he met with the best of success and at times he also superintended the loading of coal barges, and made trips on the river.
Adam Arnold was united in marriage with Barbara Rice, a daughter of John Rice, one of the pioneer settlers of Belmont County. She was a native of Bavaria, Germany, and her death, as well as that of Mr. Arnold, took place in 1895. They had a large family, consisting of 12 children, of whom 10 are still survivors and are widely separated by their respective homes. One child resides at Whatcom, Washington; one daughter lives in Butler, Pennsylvania, and one in Pittsburg; two daughters and one son are still inmates of the old homestead in Monroe County; a son, George Arnold, is an attorney-at-law in Bellaire, having his office over the old Post Office. He is accounted one of the most able and eloquent barristers of the city and has a good general practice. His birth took place February 5, 1863, in Monroe County; after his early education, he studied law at Woodsfield, Ohio, in the office of Hunter & Mallory, being admitted to the bar in June, 1890. At that date he came to Belmont County, became a teacher and followed that profession for 10 years, beginning the practice of law in 1900. His marriage with Louisa C. Zink, of Monroe County, was prolific of three children, namely, Minnie N., Paul E. and Esther A. The family now reside at Powhatan Point, York township, Belmont County, of which town Mr. Arnold is the present mayor. He supports the Democratic party in politics and has served creditably as justice of the peace in Pultney township. Fraternally he affiliates with the Knights of Pythias, being a member of Black Prince Lodge of Bellaire.
Our subject was reared upon his father's farm and attended public school at Beallsville, Ohio, afterward taking a course at the normal school in that city, also. He then became a school teacher and pursued that calling for three years in Monroe County. In 1888 he entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and two years later completed the course in pharmacy. In 1890 and 1891 he was employed as a pharmacy clerk at Ravenswood, West Virginia, and in 1892 he purchased his present business from Mr. Darrah. In his business career he has shown good judgment and marked ability; he has become popular among his fellow citizens and has secured a good patronage.
Mr. Arnold is a member of and worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bellaire, and in fraternal circles affiliates with Black Prince Lodge, No. 57, K. of P., and Arlington Division, No. 92, Uniform Rank, K. of P., both of Bellaire. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ASHENHURST, MRS. MARTHA, an esteemed resident of Pultney township, Belmont County, Ohio, is the widow of Rev. James Young Ashenhurst, who passed to his final rest in January, 1896.
Rev. Ashenhurst was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1818, and first came to Belmont County in 1844, remaining several months. He was educated principally at Franklin College, and was ordained a minister of the Gospel in 1845. His first charge was the church at Roney's Point, Virginia, now in Ohio County, West Virginia. After eight years of faithful service at that point his next field of labor was at Dalton, Wayne County, Ohio, after which he was stationed at Hayesville, Ashland County, Ohio, and subsequently spent five years in Mecklenburg County, Virginia. He remained there until about 1877, when he retired from the ministry to the farm, where our subject now resides. The closing years of his life were spent in the pursuits of farm life and at his death he was sincerely mourned.
Mrs. Ashenhurst, whose maiden name was Martha Johnson, was born in Pultney township in 1822, and is a daughter of John and Jane (Gordon) Johnson, who were among the early settlers of Belmont County. The paternal grandfather of our subject, William Johnson, was an Irishman by birth, and after immigrating to this country located near Wheeling, (West) Virginia, where he lived until cut off by death. About 1795 he married Martha Giffen, who was of Scotch nativity, and they had two children, John and James.
John Johnson, the father of our subject, was born in Virginia in 1800. He continued to reside in that State until his mother married John Allen of Belmont County, Ohio, whither the family removed, locating on High Ridge, in Pultney township. He accumulated a large amount of land and in the early "fifties" he built the house now occupied by the subject of this narrative. There he resided until 1872, when he passed to his eternal rest. Three children were born to him and his wife, our subject being the eldest child. The others are James, who was born in 1823 and whose sketch also appears in this volume, and William, who was born in 1825 and came to his death in 1849 by drowning while bathing in Wheeling Creek.
The mother of our subject died in 1825, and the father was married twice after her death. In 1827 he was united with Nancy Pattison of West Virginia, and in 1854 he followed her to her grave also. Several years afterward he contracted a union with Mrs. Nancy (Nichol) McGaw, who died in 1899.
In 1844 our subject was united in marriage with Mr. Ashenhurst, and their union was blessed with nine children, as follows: John J., of New Wilmington, where he edits the "Globe"; Mrs. Margaret Niece of Bellaire, Ohio; Mrs. Mary Dunns, also of New Wilmington; James O., a missionary among the Indians, located at Simnasho, Oregon; Etta, who is still at home; Mrs. Flora Golden of Moline, Illinois. Nannie and William J. died after reaching maturity, and Elizabeth died when but four months old.
Mrs. Ashenhurst owns a fine 200-acre farm, which she manages in a most capable manner. The politics of the family were in unison with the old line Whigs, later with the anti-slavery party, and then became Republican, and at the present time the family are Prohibitionists. They have a wide acquaintance throughout the county, and no lady in the community is more favorably known than our subject, whose kindly acts have endeared her to many. [Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ASHTON, ROGER, a prominent citizen of Martin's Ferry, councilman from the First Ward, superintendent of local mines, and a stockholder in the German Bank, was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales, September 11, 1845.
The parents of Mr. Ashton were John and Mary (Clayton) Ashton, who lived in Wales all of their lives. John Ashton was a wool carder by trade and the followed the occupation through life. He lived to be over 82 years of age, surviving his wife many years, her death occurring at the age of 65 years. Both parents were members of the Calvinistic Methodist Church. They were the parents of ten children, the five survivors being the following: John, who is a merchant in Wales; Richard, who is a miner in Wales; Thomas, who resides in Hocking Valley, Perry County, Ohio; William, who resides at Little Falls, New York; the fifth being Roger, of this biography. The members of the family who have passed away are: Edward, who died at the age of 23; Elizabeth, who lived to the age of 60; Benjamin, who died when 23; David, who died at the age of 30; and Mary Ann, who died when nine years of age, all passing away in Wales except David, who died in Alabama.
Mr. Ashton had absolutely no early educational advantages, his first opportunity for attending school presenting itself when he was 23 years of age. At that time he was even ignorant of the letters of the alphabet, but he made excellent use of his six months at school, made such rapid progress, especially in mathematics, that his knowledge surpassed that of his teacher. After this period of schooling was passed he began business as a coal weigher, following the occupation for the succeeding nine years, at which time he came to the United States. Mr. Ashton began his business career in this country as a miner, digging coal in the very mines which are now being operated under his superintendence. They are located within the corporate limits of Martin's Ferry, and are owned by the American Sheet Steel Company. It is a testimonial to the ability and efficiency of Mr. Ashton that he has risen from one of the most subordinate positions to his present one of responsibility, and has so satisfactorily filled the same for the past fifteen years. The high esteem in which he is held by the company is well deserved and very gratifying.
The first marriage of Mr. Ashton was in his native land to Margaret Evans, who died March 19, 1891, at the age of 42 years. A family of 12 children were born to this union, all of whom died in infancy with the exception of David R., who is a tin worker, unmarried, and a resident of Martin's Ferry. The second marriage of Mr. Ashton was on August 3, 1891, to Margaret Meredith, a native of Wales, who came to America in 1889, a daughter of Gwenllyn Meredith. The children born to this union were as follows: Roger; Edith, who died at the age of seven months; Mary; John, who died at the age of one year; and Margaret. Mr. Ashton has accumulated ample means, and owns three houses and one valuable lot within the corporate limits. He has taken an active part in the political life of the community and his election as councilman on April 7, 1902, was not only a triumph for the Republican ticket, but also a testimonial to his personal popularity as his majority was nine over three to one against his opponent. Fraternally Mr. Ashton belongs to the Elks.
A review of the career of Mr. Ashton gives an excellent illustration of the success which awaits those who come to America resolved to live a life of industry, to become integral parts of this great Nation and become its useful citizens. At the same time it may be noted that Mr. Ashton is a worthy representative of a country whose sturdy sons have contributed, in no small degree, to the prosperity of many sections of their adopted land. [Source: "Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]
ATKINSON, James A. -- occupies a prominent place as a real estate dealer of Sykeston, Wells county (ND). To his influence is due much of the present solid prosperity of Wells and Stutsman counties, wherein he has operated extensively. He is a man who commands respect wherever he is known and ably seconds all projects which tend to the protection and upbuilding of the business interests of his locality.
Our subject was born in Belmont county, Ohio, August 1, 1839, and was a son of Charles and Susan (Bowman) Atkinson, the former of English and the latter of Swiss descent. His father was a farmer by occupation and was born in America. Mr. Atkinson was raised on his father's farm in Ohio and attended the country schools and at the age of twenty years went to Davenport, Iowa, in company with his father and settled in the country and later started in the coffee and spice business in Davenport and was engaged in business and also in farming in Iowa for about twenty years. He went to Jamestown, North Dakota, in the spring of 1880 and began farming and dealing in real estate and was among the early business men of Jamestown and had a large farm south of there. He became interested in Wells county lands in 1882, since which time J.A. Atkinson & Son have aided as much perhaps as any other firm in the development of the possibilities of the agricultural and stock raising and dairying interests of North Dakota, and they now conduct an extensive real estate business in Sykeston, where the family located in 1895.
Our subject was married, at Davenport, Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Sophia Severn, who is of English descent, and a daughter of John Severn, of Toronto, Ontario. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson are the parents of five children, as follows: Laura A., Edith S., Charles S., Annie L. and Ralph J. The four older children were born in Iowa and the last named in North Dakota. Mr. Atkinson is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has passed the thirty-second degree of the order. Politically, he is a Republican and has taken an active part in affairs pertaining to local government. [Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
AYERS, T.C. - The legal profession in St. Clairsville, Ohio, is well represented by men who have won reputation throughout Belmont County, and among these is T.C. Ayers, whose field of practice covers the county, State and United States courts. Mr. Ayers was born in Noble County, Ohio, May 20, 1858, and is a son of Philander C. and Nancy J. (Eagan) Ayers.
Philander C. Ayers is one of Belmont County's most substantial farmers. After a residence of 14 years in Noble County, he moved to Belmont County, in 1863. In 1862, he sent a substitute into the army, as his removal to Belmont County made it necessary for him to remain at home. He is every way qualified to fill responsible positions, but has accepted only local offices. He has reached the age of 74 years, and his wife is about seven years his junior. Both are most highly respected members of the Methodist Church. They became the parents of 14 children, namely: Margaret F. (Morris); Mary E. (Bigley); Emma A. (Groves); Anna M. (Henderson); T.C.; Adda E. (Howell); Tabitha J. (Barber); William F.; E.E., a minister, who married Eleanor Elder; Minnie C., who is at home; Harriet K. (Shepherd); John H., who married Clara Carpenter, and lives on the home farm; Esther M. (Shepherd); and Lorena B., who died in 1876, at the age of three and a half years.
The subject of this sketch attended the common schools and Hopedale Academy, in Harrison County, and pursued a course in the Ohio State University at Columbus, Ohio. He studied law under John Pollock, of St. Clairsville, and completed his legal studies at the Cincinnati Law School, in 1889. Since that time Mr. Ayers has made his home in St. Clairsville, and by reason of his public spirit, progressive enterprise and ability as a lawyer, he has become one of the leading citizens of the place.
On May 10, 1888, Mr. Ayers was united in marriage with Mary E. Gibson, who was born in Noble County, Ohio, and is a daughter of the late LeRoy Gibson, and a relative of General Gibson. Her mother was Margaret Berry, and both the Gibson and Berry families are old and honored ones in Belmont County. Two children were born to this union - Kendall G. and Cecil L. Mrs. Ayers is an active member of the Methodist Church.
For a number of years, Mr. Ayers has been a prominent member of Belmont Lodge, No. 16, F. & A.M., in which he is past master. He is a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias, and was one of the organizers, on November 9, 1897, of the lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America, of which he has since been clerk. This lodge was the first one of that order in this Congressional district. As an orator, Mr. Ayers has always been in great demand during political campaigns, as his logical reasoning and fluency of speech impress his points as conclusively on an audience of voters as on a jury. Mr. Ayers is held in high esteem in St. Clairsville, his record having shown him to be wise in counsel, generous and fair in spirit, a scrupulous official, and honorable and agreeable in all the relations of life. ["Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens", edited by A.T. McKelvey, 1903 - Tr. by K. Mohler]