Wheeling Register, 2 Oct 1887 Martins Ferry
James Ashton, a former resident of this vicinity who sold his farm about five years ago and moved to the fiery district of Michigan, has sold out and returned.
The St. Clairsville, Ohio, Gazette of the 7th ult, states, that the whole line of the National Road between Canton (Bridgeport) and Cambridge, a distance of about 53 miles, has been opened for the admission of travelling of every description. The line from the river to Fairview and Cambridge is graded but not gave. [Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), August 1, 1827 - Sub. by Nancy Piper]
Emmor Bailey offers farm- 100 acres, 2m so. of Mount Pleasant and frame house in Smithfield, Jefferson Co. Feb 15. [1827, St. Clairsville - "The Historian & Advertiser"]
We have received from Mr. Isaac Ashton, of Belmont County, a bunch of red wheat showing heads of very fine size for this year -- large, indeed, for any year.
All accounts, we believe, agree that the wheat crop in this section of the country will be a light one, but that it will be much better than has been looked for since the April freeze. [Wheeling Daily Register, 12 Jul 1875]
Farm for Sale.
The well known farm belonging to the Jefferson Iron Works Company, of Steubenville, Ohio, 2 1/2 miles from Martin's Ferry, and situated between the Mt. Pleasant and Martin's Ferry graded road, and the Martin's Ferry and Colerain turnpike, containing about 123 acres, will be offered at public sale, on the premises, on Saturday, February 18,1882.
The farm is in a good state of cultivation; good soil, good water and good fruit. There are on the premises a good frame dwelling house and all the necessary out buildings.
For particulars call on Harden & Wilhems, No. 115 Main street; John Wright, No. 227 Twenty-ninth street, or Isaac Ashton, on the premises. [Wheeling Register, 28 Jan 1882:]
The little village of Morristown, on the National road, nine miles east of here, has an alarming epidemic of typhoid fever. The town has less than 400 inhabitants and within the past two or three weeks no less than 30 cases have been reported. Dr. E. J. Hoyne, the leading physician of the place has 20 cases under treatment, a number of them being critical ones. The cause of the outbreak is attributed to impure water and bad sanitary condition of a portion of the village. The state board of health has been appealed to and will investigate.
[Columbus Dispatch, Aug 12, 1895 - Transcribed by Linda Dietz]