Genealogy Trails History Group

Belmont County, Ohio
Genealogy and History


Submitted by Cheryl Skinner unless otherwise noted.

Adams, Mary Blon
Mary Blon Adams, 95, Bridge St., Belmont, died Monday in Wheeling Hospital. She was born May 31, 1894 at Stewartsville, daughter of the late Robert and Nancy Barnes Blon. She was a member of the Belmont United Methodist Church, Belmont American Legion Auxiliary #312, and Belmont Garden Club. She was preceded in death by her husband, Tracy Adams; and infant, Anna Jean Adams; three brothers, Clarence, Carl and Forrest Blon. Surviving are two daughters, Averil Lynn of Belmont and Marilyn Hinkle Delman of Belmont; three grandchildren; five great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren; three sisters, Weltha Porter of Belmont, Theresa Hannum of Upper Burial follows in Belmont Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to the Belmont United Methodist Church. [Times Leader, 26 Sep 1989]

Adkins, Thomas W.
Thomas W. Adkins, one of Morristown's oldest residents, passed away Sunday morning, only nine day before he reached 99 years of age. He was a son of Charles and Katherine Adkins and was born May 12, 1843; he was a farmer in that community all of his life. His wife died a year ago, but he is survived by four sons; Jess Adkins, Barnesville; Bert Adkins, Bethesda; Grover and Howard Adkins, New Haven, Conn; eleven grandchildren; twelve great grandchildren. Funeral was held on Tuesday and burial was made in Morristown Cemetery.

Adolph, Louisa A.
Funeral this afternoon at two o'clock from the residence of Fred Adolph, Bridgeport, O. [Wheeling Register, May 18, 1888]

Albanese, Ernest L.
ALBANESE, Ernest L., 97, of Lloydsville, Ohio, died Tuesday, December 5, 2006 in Wheeling Hospital of a hemorrhagic stroke suffered on Sunday. He was born September 30, 1909, in Scottdale, Pa., the son of the late Rev. Gaetano and Emilla Albanese. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a daughter, Lynn Garnet Albanese; a brother, Robert; and two sisters, Dr. Naomi Albanese and Mrs. Ruth Fornataro. Surviving are his wife of 70 years, Hazel Virginia Albanese; a son Ernest ( Mary Ann) of Barnesville; a daughter, Cynthia (Frank) Peroni, of St. Clairsville; a granddaughter, Capt. Shannon Stambersky, currently serving with the 10th Mountain Division in Afghanistan; a grandson, Robert Blaney of San Francisco; and two sisters, Mrs. Esther Hayden and Mrs. Nell Harris. Ernest was a member of the East Richland Friends Church.
Ernest was a forceful leader in Belmont County educational circles a career spanning over 70 years and ending with his retirement from the Belmont County Educational Service Center Board at the age of 95. He attended Muskingum College where he was a member of the varsity football and basketball squads. Upon his graduation from Muskingum, he began his career as a teacher and coach in Lafferty in 1993. As a coach, he complied a record of 360 wins, 23 losses and 5 ties in twelve seasons. His baseball, basketball and football teams won 3 county championships, 4 sectional championships and 8 county league championships. Among these teams were five undefeated six-man football squads. Professionally, he rose to the position of school principal and administrator before World War II. During the war, he served in the Philippines, New Guinea and other areas of the South Pacific while an officer in the US Navy’s 7th Fleet, becoming a Lieutenant Commander in the post-war Reserves.
He resumed his academic career in 1946 eventually becoming the first Superintendent of Schools at Union Local and the champion of that consolidation. “Retiring” in 1970, he went on to serve as director of Unified Purchasing, Belmont County Schools, and a member of various other local boards, including Chairman, Belmont County Board of Education, from 1973 to 1976. Ernest had a long record of community involvement and civic activities as well as professional memberships and involvement in numerous local organizations. These included to name just a few, American Legion Post 558, American Red Cross Board of Directors, Belmont County Children’s’ Services Board, Ohio Valley Athletic Officials Association, Belmont County Planning Commission, Free and Accepted Masons 298, Moose Loyal Order 1462, Sphinx Club Muskingum College, Ohio Education Association, Buckeye Association of Retired School Administrators, Ohio School Board Association, Rotary Club and Veterans of Foreign Wars VFW 5356. The Ohio State Senate unanimously passed a resolution in September of 1976 honoring him for his service to Country and Community. Friends will be received 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. Friday at the Beck-Altmeyer Funeral Home and Crematory St. Clairsville, Ohio, where funeral services will be held Saturday at 10:30 a.m. with the Rev. Jerry Wenger officiating. Interment will follow in Union Cemetery St. Clairsville. [Times Leader, 07 Dec 2006]

Allar, Edith M.
Edith M. Allar, 67, resident of 131 Oak Street Barnesville, died Sunday afternoon December 11 1977 at her home. She was born in Belmont County, August 27, 1910 a daughter of Frank and Bessie Fitzgerald McEndree. She was a member of the First Christian Church of Bethesda. Surviving are her husband Floyd of the home; four sons, Samuel Junior, John of Barnesville and David of Manchester, NH; five daughters, Mrs. Boe (Freda) Roberts of Wheeling, Mrs. William (Faith) Morris of Piedmont, Mrs. Wilbur (Eileen) Greenwood of Columbus, Mrs. Paul (Rachel) Bartrug of Portland Or. and Mrs. Donald (Judy) Diston of Midway City, CA; four sisters, Mrs. Oliver (Grace) Allar of Bethesda, Mrs. Loman (Mabel) Phillips of Bethesda, Mrs. Lester (Dorothy) Phillips of Barnesville and Mrs. Farmer (Martha) Clapper of Canton; 27 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. Friends were received at the Campbell Plumly Funeral Home where services were held Wednesday December 14 at 1:30 p.m. with the Reverend Garry Ballard officiating. Burial was made in Hunter Cemetery, Bethesda. [Barnesville Enterprise, 15 Dec 1977]

Allar, Francis
Francis Allar, 59, Maynard Road St. Clairsville, died Thursday at home. He was a former employee of Nelson Tree Service. He was preceded in death by his father, Oliver Allar. Surviving are his wife, Donna Jones Allar; two sons, Steve of Colerain and Allen of St. Clairsville; three daughters, Terri Lynn Miller of Bridgeport and Lori Allar of Dover, Del.; his mother, Grace Allar of Bethesda; a brother, Chris of Colorado; a sister, Lorena Allar of Bethesda; five grandchildren. Friends were received 10-11 a.m. today at Beck Funeral Home, St. Clairsville, followed by graveside services at Hendrysburg, OH Cemetery. 02 Jul 1993

Andrews, Clyde A.
Clyde A. Andrews, 93, West Main St. Barnesville, died Thursday, Feb 18, 1982 at Aultman Hospital, Canton. He was born Nov. 9, 1888, a son of the late William and Elizabeth Haythorne Andrews. He was a member of the First Christian Church, Barnesville, and was retired banker. He was preceded in death by his wife, Stella Andrews, in 1975, a daughter, several brothers and sisters. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Robert (Cary) Shipley, Quaker City; a son, Gerald of Canton; a half-brother, Charles of Toronto; a granddaughter. Services were held Saturday at the First Christian Church with the Rev. William Worcester officiating. Burial was made in the Southern Cemetery. Friends were received Friday at the Campbell-Plumly Funeral Home. [Barnesville Enterprise, February 1982].

Ashton, Newton
NEWTON ASHTON, son of a respectable farmer near Martins Ferry, enacted the pistol tragedy on the 22nd. Newton was 24 years of age and was engaged to be married.
The indefinite postponement of the wedding and the return of the ring probably were the cause of the suicidal resolve. [THE FREEPORT PRESS, Harrison Co., OH, Pub. Nov. 30, 1882 - Transcribed and submitted by]

A Sad Suicide
A Young Man Who Died for Love
Newton Ashton, Preferring Death to Life Without His Sweetheart, Blows Out His Brains With a Revolver
Martins Ferry and the country surrounding were startled, yesterday morning, by a sad suicide, enveloped by the most gloomy, yet romantic circumstances. It was the case of a young man, who, preferring the voiceless gloom of death, to a long life without the lady of his love, deliberately blew out his brains. The victim was Newton Ashton, aged 28 years, the son of Isaac Ashton, a prosperous farmer living on the old Iron Ore farm, two miles west of Martin's Ferry. He was a bright and companionable young man with many friends and no enemies and yet of a jealous disposition, with a great capacity for loving. For some time past he has been engaged to Miss Mary Catherine Powell, an attractive young lady, residing in the neighborhood of his home. And, like Elaine, he loved with a jove that was his death.
On Tuesday evening a party was given at Woods, on Glenn's Run, to which Ashton escorted Miss Powell. They left the party about 1:30 o'clock, the lady riding behind Ashton on his horse. They arrived at her home at 2 o'clock and he remained until 3, and in that hour occurred what induced him to end an existence grown miserable to him.
They were to have been married on Thanksgiving day and she wore upon her finger a plain gold engagement ring, engraved "I.N.A. to M.C.P." When they reached home on Tuesday night she told him the wedding would have to be postponed as she could not get ready by that time, and returned him his ring. She said she did not mean to break off the engagement, but only to postpone the wedding, but he evidently accepted it as a "conge." Filled with her words, as he thought breaking the engagement and breaking his heart at the same time, he left her and almost within call of her home and where his dying groan might have almost reached her ear, he drew a revolver and blew out his brains.
His family were startled, yesterday morning, by not finding him at home, and a search was at once instituted. At 8:30 o'clock his father found him lying in a little strip of woods, about a quarter of a mile from home. Though the place is by a path much frequented the body was not sooner discovered, the horse with the empty saddle conveying the first sad tidings. The unfortunate young man was found lying on his left side with his left hand and arm under him and his right hand stretched out near the fallen revolver. In his right temple was the gaping wound made by the ball, which passed through the brain and lodged in the scalp, two inches behind the left ear. He was tenderly taken up and conveyed home, where Drs. Williams, Hervey, Blackford and Weirich examined him.
Coroner Thos. Garrett, of Bellaire, was called and an inquest duly held. The following witnesses were examined: Isaac Ashton, Mary C. Powell, Martha Powell, John Powell, Charles Ashton, Thomas Mitchell, John A. Mitchell, Wm. Cline, J. D. Tweed, James Duff, Elizabeth Duff and the examining surgeons.
The principal witness was Miss Powell, the fiancee of the victim, who gave told above. She only gave him the ring to wear for a time, she said, and had no intention of breaking the engagement. She stated that he had threatened to take his life unless she consented to become his wife, and the sifficulty [sic] was bridged by the engagement. The arrangement was that they were to marry and live with his parents this winter. He had shown her the revolver on Tuesday night, but had made no thr eats against his life.
Charles Ashton, cousin of the deceased, who lived with him, testified to giving the revolver to Newton, on Sunday. Newton had asked for and received it. The witness identified the revolver, as also did Miss Powell.
These were the material facts developed in the case. Testimony taken showed Newton Ashton to have been a sober and industrious young man, well respected and very generally liked. He never showed any indications of insanity and was considered of perfectly sound mind.
The affair produced a profound sensation, yesterday, throughout the en tire neighborhood. The family of the unfortunate young man have the sympathy of all who know them, in their sadness. The young lady, Miss Powell, who played so prominent and sad a part in the tragedy, is a general favorite and comes in for a large share of the sympathy. She is the daughter of William and Matilda Powell, who live on the ridge, near by. Altogether the suicide is one of those heartbreaking affairs, in all of its surroundings and cannot but win the sympathy of all who learn of it. [The Wheeling Register, 23 Nov 1882 - Transcribed and submitted by]

The Martins Ferry News will not believe Newton Ashton committed suicide. After several reasons for this belief it concludes: Other circumstances are mentioned which seem to preclude the possibility of suicide. But who fired the fatal shot or what was the cause, may never be known till the earth and sea give up their dead, but from our knowledge of I. N. Ashton, as a boy and man, we cannot assent to the idea of suicide. But whatever may have been the cause of his death, his aged parents, brothers and sisters, have our heartfelt sympathy. [The Wheeling Register, 1 Dec 1882, page 4 -- Transcribed and submitted by]

Askew, Isaac
Isaac Askew, a former well-known and esteemed citizen of St. Clairsville, (OH) died at his home in Kansas City, on Monday, from atrophy of the liver, aged 81 years. He was a native of this place, son of the late Wm. Askew, and resided here up to about 1868 or 9. He had a warm attachment for his native town, and returned almost annually to enjoy the society of old friends, who will learn with regret of his death. Four children are bereft by his death, Mrs. Ross J. Alexander, of Bridgeport, Mrs. A. L. Mason, Wilson Askew, and Col. Frank Askew, of Kansas City. His funeral occurred on Wednesday. Interment at Kansas City. [Belmont Chronicle. (St. Clairsville, Ohio), 21 Aug. 1890]

Ault, Valentine
The death of Mr. Valentine Ault, one of the aged and most highly respected citizens of this section occurred at his home north of town last Monday. Mr. Ault was born near St. Clairsville in 1818, where his father settled in 1800, being one of the pioneers of that neighborhood. He spent his boyhood days on the farm of his father and made farming the business of his life. In 1864 he removed to Barnesville and has ever since resided here. He married Miss Margaret Ault and estimable lady and they have been the parents of eight children three of whom are deceased. Mr. Ault has for many years been one among the prominent men of this community. He was a man of high moral character and sterling worth of strong personal convictions and indomitable will. He laid out for home self a path in life and could not be swerved to the right or left, following the right as he was given to see it. He was an ardent Prohibitionist, from principle as everybody believed who knew him, and was one of the recognized headers of that party in this section. By his industry and frugality he obtained a competency and was always found ready to aid in every good work for the advancement of the town or community. Throughout his life he was an active and consistent member of the M. E. Church and enjoyed to the fullest extent the confidence and esteem, not only of his brethren in the church but of every one who knew him and in his death leaves to his family the heritage of a life well spent and in a large measure devoted to the advancement and good of his fellow man. Sincere sympathy is extended the bereaved wife and children in the sad loss they have sustained. Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon, conducted by Dr. W. H. Locke, of the Methodist Church. Interment in the Green mount Cemetery. [Barnesville Enterprise, 04 Jul 1895]

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails