Ammen, Daniel, naval officer, author, was born May 15, 1820, in Brown county, Ohio. He was chief of the naval bureau of navigation in 1870-78; and was sent to the so-called Paris canal congress in 1879. At the close of the civil war he designed the Ammen life raft, which saved the lives of more than half the crew of the Kearsarge when she was wrecked on a reef. He attained the rank of rear admiral; and was retired in 1886. He was the author of The Atlantic During the Civil War; The Old Navy and the New; and Recollections of Grant. He died July 11, 1898, in Washington, D.C.
[Source: "Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 - TK - Sub. by FoFG]
Benjamin F. Applegate
APPLEGATE, Benjamin Franklin, was born in Mason County, Ky., 5 July 1834. He was the son of Vincent and Ann (Lemon) Applegate. In 1856 he married Frances Cardie, daughter of Thomas McLain, of Sterling Township. They had one child-Wesley O., now a resident of Illinois. In 1879, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Frank and Johanna Vanbelt. They have one daughter-Stella. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
ARTHUR, John, was born in Clermont, County, Ohio, on 6 October, 1825. He was a son of Jonas and Margaret (Reed) Arthur. Isaac Reed, father of Mrs. Arthur, settled near Bethel, Clermont County in 1880. John Arthur married in 1845 Elizabeth D., daughter of Elsworth Salisbury of Indiana. His first wife died of small pox, May 1850, and he married on 24 December 1851, Susan, daughter of Jacob Waits. They had six children, Columbus (married Ada, daughter of Ira B. Dunn), Erastus (still single), Arminda (wife of Samuel Robinson), Ohio (died at two and a half years of age), Katie (wife of Charles Hutchins), Leander and Esdras. James Arthur, grandfather of John, was in the Revolutionary War. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
Farmer and stock dealer. The subject of this sketch is a native of Brown County, Ohio, and was born December 19, 1835. He was reared and educated in Brown County till eleven years of age, then removed to Putnam County, Illinois, and remained there about nineteen years; then located in Jackson County, Missouri, in March, 1866. While in Illinois he attended, for a number of years, the South Salem Academy in Ross County, Ohio, and there received a very liberal education. He was married March 28, 1861, to Margaret E. Dysart who was born in Putnam County, Illinois, January 23, 1843. By this marriage eight children have been born, seven of whom are still living: Leslie E., born May 12, 1862; William A., born November 6, 1864; Frank D., born September 11, 1867; Leola J., born October 29, 1868; Archibald S., born August 29, 1871; Ida May, born April 29, 1874; John C., born April 14, 1877; and Helen, born May 18, 1880, who died in infancy. He had but little help to start in life, but by energy, and perseverance has secured a beautiful and fertile farm of 170 acres, and he is noted as the model farmer in the township. Although he carries on his farm in such an excellent manner, yet he makes a specialty of buying and shipping stock. Besides his very arduous labors in managing his farm and his other business, he finds time not only to cultivate his own mind, but takes an active interest in the education of his children. His wife is a lady of refinement and education. They are both members of the Presbyterian Church. Surrounded by a pleasant family and in an excellent neighborhood, well esteemed by all, they have reason to be, as they are, thankful and happy. [Source: "The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated"; Union Historical Company (1881) Tr. by K. Mohler]
Henry O. Beckwith
BECKWITH, Henry O., steel broker and manufacturers' agent; born in Brown Co., Ohio, Feb. 13, 1869; son of John Hull and Agatha (Smith) Beckwith; educated in pub.lic schools of Hamilton Co., Ohio; married, Wyoming, Ohio, May 23, 1893, Bertha M. Schwarz. Began business career in Cincin.nati, and during last eight years of residence there was manager of the Hamilton Canal Boat Co.; came to St. Louis, and in January, 1904, with brother, J. H. Beckwith, estab.lished present business of Beckwith Bros., brokers and manufacturers' agents in iron and steel products. Republican. Methodist. Office: 1017 Chemical Bldg. Residence: 758 Goodfellow Ave.
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. - Tr. by C. Slater]
Hiram J. Bindley
BINDLEY, Hiram J., was born in Pennsylvania on 23 April 1835. He was the son of Edward and Rebecca (Newly) Bindley. He came to Ohio in 1859. In 1860 he married Annie S., daughter of Edward Collins, who was born 20 September 1834. They have four children, the oldest Ida, wife of Hugh Dyer, Harry E., lives at home ; Annie and Pearly. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
George W. Bingaman
BINGAMAN, George W., was born in Highland Co., Ohio, on August 15th 1825. He married Nancy A., daughter of Benjamin Hook. They had one daughter, Catharine, wife of William Creager. Solomon Bingaman was born in Pennsylvania on July 6, 1795, and came to Ohio in 1797. Rebecca Hook Bingaman was born in Brooke Co., Va., in 1804. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
Ward Roland Case
CASE, Ward Roland, lawyer; born Brown Co., O., April 6, 1876; English-Dutch and Scotch-German descent; son of D.R. and Frances (McBeth) Case; father’s occupation teacher; paternal grandparents Henry Butler and Mary (Lake) Case; maternal grandparents Jas. P. and Elizabeth (Spires) McBeth; educated in the local schools of Brown and Warren Cos., O., and Morgan Co., Tenn.; taught one term of school 1895; studied shorthand at home and law in law offices while working as a stenographer of O.C. Cornaster, 1896-8, and Ingersoll & Peyton, 1898-9, Knoxville, Tenn.; admitted to bar Aug., 1897, and formed partnership with O.C. Cornaster, under the name of Cornaster & Case in 1899, which has continued to date; married Mollie Albertson Dec. 10, 1899; member Trinity Consistory No. 2, Nashville, 32nd degree, Jamestown Lodge No. 281 F. & A.M.; Jamestown Lodge No. 83, I.O.O.F., at present secretary of Jamestown Lodge No. 281, F. & A.M., and has served as S.W. and W.M. of same; Republican; chairman of the Co. Board of Education 1907-1910; present Co. Judge of Fentress Co., by appointment. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; tr. by K. Mohler]
Chesteen D. Cooper (Chesten Cooper)
CHESTEEN D COOPER was born in Sangamon County Illinois, November 08, 1845, a son of Isaac
and Kezia Cooper. He married Miss Sarah J Glaze, daughter of Christian and Susan Glaze, January 06, 1870. They have nine children: Minnie M, born November 04, 1870, now Mrs. C.D. Thompson; Lola, June 26, 1873, now Mrs. Thomas Elz; Issac, August 06, 1875; Amanda E, August 29, 1877, now Mrs. E.J. Betts; Sarah A, October 30, 1879, now Mrs. John Myers; *Chesten D, December 21, 1881; Oscar W, August 05, 1885; *Elza S., July 26, 1888; and James I, July 07, 1893. They also reared one child, a nephew, Edward S. Blair, born August 27, 1888. The children are all living, and all married except James I. Mr. Cooper farmed in Illinois till the spring of 1874. He then came to Adair County, where he has since lived continuously on the farm he now owns. It consists of 120 acres, two and one half-miles northeast of Adair. He also now owns an interest in 126 acres of land in the same neighborhood. Mr. Cooper and his family are members of the Christian church. He is a loyal Democrat. Mrs. Cooper was born in Brown County, Ohio May 24, 1852, a daughter of Christian and Susan Glaze. [Transcribed "as is", including name spellings. Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri, by E.M. Violette (1911)" DR - Sub by FoFG]
CREAGER, V.B., was born in Clermont County, Ohio, 1 November 1835. He was the son of Joseph and Harriet (Stiles) Creager. On November 18, 1858, he married Charlotte, daughter of Reuben and Levina Harbaugh. They have one son, Peter H., born 14 May 1861. Joseph Creager was a son of William and Sarah (Nitzer) Creager. Mr. Creager was a soldier in the Revolution. Harriet Stiles was a daughter of Benjamin and Margery (Brewster) Stiles. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
Benjamin F. Dyer
DYER, Benjamin F., was born in Henry County, VA., 23 December 1839. He was the son of Joseph and Mary (Hally) Dyer. He came to Brown Co., in 1860 from Cincinnati. He was married, on 3 May 1861, to Jane, oldest daughter of Henry and Louisa Addinbrook. They have four children, Joseph A., Mary Lou, Thomas A., and Hattie. He served as Warden of Ohio Penitentiary from December 7, 1879 to 6 May 1880. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
For nearly twenty years the interesting subject of this brief review has been a resident of Colorado and has been a potent factor in the progress and development of the portion of the state in which he has resided. He is now one of the prosperous and successful farmers of Mesa county, living on a fine ranch which he has improved and cultivated for a number of years in the vicinity of Plateau City, and is connected in a leading way with the agricultural and commercial interests of the section, and contributes to its public life the force of his energy and the inspiration of a good example of upright and serviceable citizenship. Mr. Ewing is a native of Brown county, Ohio, where he was born in 1837, and is the son of Robert and Elizabeth (Milton) Ewing, now both deceased. His father was born and reared in Ohio, and was a prosperous farmer in that state, remaining there until 1837, when he moved to Illinois and in 1857 to Kansas, where he passed the residue of his life, dying at the age of eighty-four. He served as a member of the convention which framed the constitution of the state. His wife as a native of Virginia, who moved with her parents to Ohio in early life and there grew to womanhood and was married. She died in in 1876. Their offspring numbered eight, of whom S.E. was the fifth born. He was an infant when the family moved to Illinois, and he lived in that state until he became twenty-five years of age, being educated at the public schools in the neighborhood of his home, and assisting in the work on his father's farm until the time mentioned, when he migrated to Kansas and started a farming enterprise of his own which he conducted successfully for a period of twenty-two years. He then came to Colorado and settled in Boulder county. For six years he lived there engaged in the same line of activity, then moved to where he now lives, taking up his present ranch on the Kansas mesa in 1888. Here he has since been operating as a farmer and stock-grower, and has prospered in the business and won a high place in the regard of his fellow citizens in this section. He was first married in 1861 to Miss Sarah A. Goode, a native of Illinois. They became the parents of nine children, eight of whom are living, William E., Frederick G., Oliver, John, Robert, Elizabeth, Hattie, Rose A. and Sylvanus V. The other one, a son named Thomas, died when he was ten years old. The second marriage occurred on May 15, 1902, and was to Miss Lillie Kerr, a native of Arkansas. They have one child, George E. Ewing. Mr. Ewing has ever been zealous and persistent in pushing forward works of public utility for the improvement of his neighborhood. He was active in promoting the construction of the Big creek reservoir for purposes of irrigation, and is now a stockholder in the enterprise, holding sixteen shares. Many other works of importance have had his earnest and serviceable support, and all of commendable value may count upon his countenance and substantial aid, for nothing of worth to the community fails to meet his approval and enlist his interest. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
FOSTER, Thomas, was born in Clermont County, Ohio on 19 April 1814. His parents were John and Catharine (Fry) Foster. They came to Williamsburg in 1805. In 1839 he married Harriet, daughter of Capt. Stephen and Sarah (Kane) Smith. Mr. Smith was a Captain in the War of 1812, and Sarah Kane was the first white woman in Williamsburg, and her father, James Kane, the first settler. Mr. Foster raised two daughters-Sarah, wife of J.B. Winsor, of Clermont County, and Marty Elizabeth, wife of J.W. Walker. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
George L. Heslar
HESLAR, George L., son of William and Catharine (Waits) Heslar, was born in Kentucky June 12, 1819. Mr. Heslar came to Ohio in 1829, and was married April 26, 1838, to Ariadna Waits, by whom he had nine children-Leslie died at nineteen; Oliver, married Barbara Ellen Bishop; Clarissa, wife of Houston Reynolds; Catharine, wife of George Weaver; Anna, died at nineteen months of age; Jane, wife of Charles Rounds; Ada, wife of William Cramer; Elizabeth, wife of Richard Creager; Mary, died at eight months of age. Mr. Heslar lost his first wife July 30th 1858, and remarried 5 June 1859, to Margaret, daughter of Titus and Nancy Sapp; they had six children-Florence, Belle, David, Almeda, George L., Lucy A. and James. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
HIGHT, William, son of Ellison and Nancy (Trout) Hight, was born in Brown Co., Ohio, on 13 September 1834. His father was born in New Jersey in 1798, and came to Ohio in 1816; his mother is a native of Ohio. He married Mary Ellen, daughter of John and Ari Ener (Chatmers) Davidson, a native of Ohio. They had eight children-Allen, Elmeters, William Henry died at eleven months of age), Ari Etta, Katie, Nannie, Rebecca, Belle and Emma. His wife died on April 6th 1880. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
Silas W. King
KING, Silas W., son of Robert and Eliza (Robinson) King, was born in Pleasant Township, Brown Co., Ohio, September 13, 1836. His father is a native of Virginia, and came to Ohio when he was a small boy. His mother is a native of Ohio, the daughter of Silas Robinson. Mr. King was married on 3 October 1865 to Mary E., daughter of Ephraim and Sarah E. (Berry) Dunn, and a native of Ohio. They have four children- George B., Robert L., Etta, Rufus and Wilbur. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
LEONARD, Andrew, son of John and Margaret (Smith) Leonard, was born in Brown co., Ohio, on May 19th 1824. He was married in 1851 to Margaret, daughter of Benjamin and Katie (Day) Reed, and had two children-Felissa, wife of Robert Erwin, and Thomas J., who married Laura B., daughter of Walter Stevens.
John Lindsey was born in Pennsylvania February 28, 1774, and married Elizabeth Lucas, daughter of Robinson Lucas, but whether in Virginia or Kentucky, or after his father-in-law came to Ohio, we have been unable to learn. He came to the territory now constituting the Township about 1801 or 1802, and settled on land now owned by Joseph List, and with his brother Phillip, who lived with him, cleared a small field. He and his brother shortly afterward bought a tract of land on West Fork, he taking the farm now owned M. A. Courts and on which he lives, and Phillip taking where Charles Elachlager lives. The title, however, not being good, they bought it again, from Cadwallader Wallace. Upon the organization of the county of Brown, in 1818, John Lindsey was one of the Commissioners, and at the first election after Franklin Township was formed, was elected on the Trustees. The same year, he was also commissioned as Justice of the Peace, which office, as well as that of Township Trustee, he held for many years. In 1824, Franklin Township gave him seventy-nine votes for Sheriff; in 1825 it gave him ninety-one votes for Commissioner; in 1826 for Sheriff, the vote of Franklin stood John Lindsey, seventy-four; James Loudon, fifteen; John W. Odell, eighteen; and John Walker, three. In 1830 he was again a candidate for sheriff the vote of Franklin standing: Jeremiah Purdum, thirty-one; Robert Allen, four; Moses Laycock, twenty four; and John Lindsey, thirty seven. Sept 12, 1844, he deeded one acre of land for burying ground and upon which to build West Fork Church, He died April 9, 1847, aged seventy three years- one month and twelve days, and is buried in the above name churchyard as is also his wife. There were born to them: William, Hezekiah, James, Sarah, Rhoda, Rachel, Emma, Mary, Dorcas and Grant. William born about 1797 or 1798 married Elizabeth Harris, and lived on the farm now owned by William Ellis, in Scott Township, for many years; he then went to Missouri where he was living when last heard from. Hezekiah born December 1799, married Nancy Wells, and lived for some years on West Fork, then moved to the farm now owned by Rev S. A. Vandyke, in Scott Township. He was the first Clerk of Franklin Township, and held the office until 1828. He was elected County Auditor, and moved to Georgetown, and afterward left there, but where he went is not known to the writer. James married Mary Rich; lived in Hamersville for some years, and on the death of his father he bought the home farm where he lived until his death of his father he bought the home farm, where he lived until his death. Sarah married John Rich, and they lived where Frederick Elachlager now lives, then moved to Indiana, where she died. Rachel married Enoch Smith, and they lived near New Richmond, where she died. Emma married Joseph Smith (brother of Enoch) and they lived at Chilo, in Clermont County, where they both died, the former in the winter of 1881-1882 and the latter in the Spring of 1882. Mary married Warford Jordon and soon afterward, they moved to Spencer County, Indiana, where she was living when last heard from. Dorcas went with her sister Mary to Indiana, where she died. Grant married America Dennis and lived on his father's farm. He and Wilson Morrow engaged in bow match on West Fork, and going in bathing while heated he was taken sick and died a day or two afterward. [Source: "History of Brown County, Ohio"; pub. 1883; W. H. Beers and Company, Part 4 - Sub. by Helen Peterson]
Philip Lindsey was born in Pennsylvania February 13, 1782, came to this township with his brother John and lived with him until he was married. He married Drucilla Lucas, and settled on the farm where Charles Elschlager now lives. His house burning down, he moved into the house where he and his brother John first settled until he could rebuild. He lived for many years on West Fork, and then moved to the James Prickett farm, above Arnheim where he died May 22, 1866 at 85. There were born to Philip and Drucilla: Jesse born August 6, 1805, married Amelia Prickett in 1827, daughter of John Prickett, and bought 45 acres of land where J. L. Carberry now lives. He cleared part of it and after some years sold and bought on West Fork, on the Arnheim and New Hope road, where he lived until his death, June 22, 1871. Delilah married Valentine D. Carberry, her father gave them the farm on Georgetown and Sardinia road. Elizabeth married Simon Kratzer. After Kratzer's death, she married Lemuel Rachford. They bought property above Arnheim where she died October 16, 1878. Preston died when about 17 years of age. Thomas was born November 23, 1813, married Mary Pindell; Elijah married Susan Pindell, daughter of Jacob Pindell, lived a few years on the home farm when he bought Uriah Springer farm where he lived until his death. [Source" "History of Brown County, Ohio" pub. 1883 W. H. Beers and Company, Part 4, Sub. by Helen Peterson]
Joseph R. Long
LONG, Joseph R., son of Thomas and Elizabeth Long, was born in Clermont Co., Ohio, on 4 May 1824. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1812. He was married in 1843, to Lydia Ann, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Thomas) Newberry, of Brown County, natives of New Jersey. They raised six children-Thomas, married Elizabeth Widner; Martha, wife of John Wilson, of Kansas; Maria, wife of Hiram Runion; Mary E., wife of Charles Martin, of Kansas; Charles, married Estella Ross; and Alice, Episcopal church, class leader, Trustee, and ordained a minister since 1867, a local preacher. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
McDONOUGH, George, M.D., a physician, native of Clermont Co., Ohio, was born on March 24, 1820. He is the son of Samuel and Lucy McDonough, both natives of Ohio. He was married in 1839 to Eve, daughter of Robert Hutchins. They had eight children-Wesley, married Jane Watt; Mary A., wife of P. Hutton; John, married (?), Sarah Louisa, wife of E. B. Risley; Harris, married Emily Sloan; Aaron, single and at home; George, who died at seventeen years of age; and Jane, wife of George Smith. Mrs. McDonough died in 1862, and in 1863, the Doctor married to Susan Watt. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
McLAIN, Archibald, is the son of Archibald and Mary (Shaw) McLain, pioneers of Clermont and Brown Counties. He was born in Brown County, Ohio (then Clermont), March 27, 1809. On April 28, 1836, he married Phoebe, daughter of Benjamin Ross. They had the following children-Harrison, Mary, Edwin, Idella, Orion W., Emma A., and Henry C. Mary married Alfred Bishop, of Brown County; Edwin married Amanda Wells, of this county; Idella became the wife of Randolph F. Bogis, of Brown Co., Orion W. married Martha Severs, of Indiana, where they now reside; Emma A., is the wife of Prof. W.W. Pennell, of this county, and Henry C. married Ella, daughter of Robert Glaze, of this county. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
Erastus S. Moorehead
MOOREHEAD, Erastus S., was born in Ohio on 10 October 1841. He is the son of Fergus and Jane (Walker) Moorhead. His father came to Ohio about the year 1800. He was married, on 11 October 1865, to Nancy A., daughter of Greenwood K. and Corintha A (Newton) Davidson, of Cincinnati. ["History of Brown County" Sterling Township, W.H. Beers & Co., 1883, Chicago. Transcribed by Cheryl Gravereau Quinn]
MOORHEAD, William, son of Patrick and Anna Moorhead, was born in Pennsylvania 1 July 1819, and came to Ohio at an early age. He was married on May 27th 1841, to Margaret Arthur, a daughter of James and Margaret (Reed) Arthur, of Clermont County, Ohio. The Arthurs and Rees were among the first settlers in the vicinity of Bethel. Mr. Moorhead raised eleven children-Evaline C., born 25 March 1842, wife of A. Snell, of Illinois; Otis D., born 29 October 1843, married Lucy Nowland, and resides in Iowa; Arthur, born May 13th 1845, died 19 November 1848; Caroline, born May 27th 1847, wife of Henry C. winkle, of Clermont Co., Alfred, born July 14, 1849, died September 13 1849; Missourie, born 12 March 1851, married John Pelton, and died 23 July 1878; Martha J., born October 3, 1853, wife of Oscar Jones, of Clermont County; Ira , born 31 July 1856, resides in Illinois; Elizabeth, born 4 October 1858, married, P.R. Graham, Graham drowned July 1st 1882; Esther, born 12 February 1862 and James V., born April 10th 1864
SAMUEL RAINEY, agent for Col. P.A. Thompson, grain dealer, was born December 20, 1841, in Sardina, Brown County, Ohio. His father, James Rainey, was a native of Virginia, while his wife, formerly Peggy Kimes, was from Kentucky. Samuel was the fourth in a family of eight children. He was reared in his native village, receiving fair educational advantages. When the civil war broke out, he enlisted October 12, 1861, in the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry. They were placed out on the frontier to fight Indians; he took part in the battle of Mud Springs and several other noted engagements, serving until July 14, 1866, when he held the position of sergeant. At the close of the war Mr. R. returned to Ohio. In the spring of 1867, he came to Atchison County, Missouri, and has since made this his home, having been engaged in farming and stock raising. He commenced the grain business at this point for Colonel Thompson, January 1, 1881. They enjoy a liberal patronage, have a neat office and stock scales and yards, dealing in stock to some extent. Mr. Rainey is a good business man and much of a gentleman in his manners. He is a member of Atchison Lodge No. 220, A.O.U.W., of Tarkio, and was formerly a member of the Grange. Politically he is a staunch Republican. He was married February 12, 1877, to Miss Sadie Majors, a native of Mount Vernon, Knox County, Ohio. She died April 27, 1878. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri;St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
The helpless failures cumber the sod, and hope and inspiration are inspired when it is given us to take cognizance of those who have wrought well in the stern battle of life and have made of success not an accident but a logical result. Such a man was the late Amos Shinkle, of Covington, whose patent of sterling character was that designated by his being numbered among the world’s noble army of productive workers. His energies were not parasitic, but he was conscious of his powers and properly exercised them, in the meanwhile maintaining a high sense of stewardship. There is all of consistency in offering in this publication a brief review of his earnest, worthy and prolific life.
Amos Shinkle was born on a farm on White Oak creek, Brown county, Ohio, on the 11th of August, 1818, and was a son of Peter and Sarah (Day) Shinkle. This father was born at Slab Camp, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, a place whose name was later changed to the more suggestive one of New Hope, which it still bears, and the date of the latter’s nativity was July 26, 1795. In his native state Peter Shinkle was reared to manhood and there he learned the trade of cabinetmaking under the careful and effective system of apprenticeship observed by German forbears. As a young man he removed to Higginsport, Brown county, Ohio, where he eventually engaged in the manufacturing of furniture, which he shipped by flat-boat down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans, where he found ready demand for his sturdily constructed products, all of which were made by hand. His domestic and business relations and responsibilities were such as to render it virtually impossible for him to serve as a soldier in the war of 1812, for which conflict he hired a substitute. In 1844 he removed with his family to Kentucky and purchased a farm near Catlettsburg, Boyd county, but in 1847 he established his home in Covington, which was then a mere village. Here he was engaged in the coal business for a number of years, and he became one of the substantial and honored citizens of the community, to whose civic and material progress he contributed his quota. In 1813 was solemnized his marriage to Miss Sarah Day, who was born in October, 1796, and who bore him four sons and four daughters. After the death of his first wife, and when he was eighty-seven years of age, he contracted a second marriage, which caused an estrangement with his eldest son, Amos, with whom he was living at the time, and he thereupon established a separate home for himself and his bride, who survived him by a number of years. He lived to attain to the patriarchal age of ninety-one years and his death occurred in the year 1886.
Amos Shinkle was reared under the conditions and environments of the pioneer epoch, his parents having been children at the time of the removal of the respective families to what was then the Northwest Territory, in 1797, when they left their old home in Pennsylvania. Owing to the exigencies of time and place the early educational advantages of Amos Shinkle were necessarily very meager, but he had an alert and receptive mind and made excellent progress in his studies, which he prosecuted at home as well as in the primitive schools, the result being that he proved himself eligible for pedagogic honors, according to the standard of the locality at that time. He thus had the distinction of becoming the teacher in the same school which he had himself attended as a pupil. With a natural predilection and aptitude for business, he soon found for himself other employment than that of the school-room. At the age of seventeen years he assumed charge of his father’s books, but his sturdy independence caused him to differ with his father in regard to his actions and business privileges, and while still a youth he left the paternal home, having at the time capitalistic resources amounting to only seventy-five cents. He secured a position as cook on a flat-boat, and while retaining this position he made a number of trips down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. He was well endowed with the cardinal virtues of industry, integrity and frugality, and he carefully conserved his earnings, with the result that he finally became the owner of a flat-boat. He went into the woods of eastern Kentucky, where he felled trees, after which he manufactured the timber into furniture, which he transported to New Orleans, where he found a ready market for his goods. After accumulating some money through his operations in this line, he engaged in the grocery business, but this venture proved unsuccessful, owing to the loose credit system then in vogue, the result being that he found himself bankrupt before he had attained to his legal majority. The law would have rendered every action of his creditors of no avail against him, but he took no advantage of these conditions, thus showing his intrinsic honesty of purpose and his determination to do right under all circumstances. In due time, through unremitting effort and much self-denial, he paid every cent of his indebtedness, and he thus gained that invaluable asset, a reputation for integrity, that proved the foundation of his future success and definite prosperity.
In August, 1846, fortified with a hard-earned capital of fifteen hundred dollars, Mr. Shinkle located in Covington, and, in the face of past experience, he determined to succeed through more careful methods. At this time was given inception to his real business career, which was distinguished throughout by wise forethought and inflexible integrity of purpose, permitting no compromise with expediency. He engaged in the coal trade, in which his principal operations were in supplying fuel to steamboats plying between Cincinnati and New Orleans. He was conservative to a degree, but missed no opportunities, and through his indefatigable energy, fair dealings and progressive methods he built up a large and prosperous business, by medium of which he was a substantial capitalist at the time of his retirement therefrom, in 1864. During his many years of active and noteworthy identification with navigation interests on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers Mr. Shinkle did much to improve facilities in this important field of enterprise, having been the owner of a number of steamboats and having, in fact, put into commission one of the first vessels of this kind on the Ohio river. At the time of the Civil war the United States government purchased two or more of his boats, which were converted into iron-clads and which were utilized in a number of the naval battles on the lower Mississippi. Mr. Shinkle was the owner of two boats that were sunk during the war, at Pittsburg Landing, and though the same were laden with valuable merchandise he made no effort to secure indemnity for his losses.
While living at Higginsport, during his early years, Mr. Shinkle took an active interest in military affairs, and he received from Governor Shannon commission as first lieutenant of artillery in the Eighth Division of the Ohio militia. He offered his services and those of his company to the government at the time of the Mexican war, but when he arrived with his command at Cincinnati, for the purpose of being mustered in, he was disappointed in his patriotic designs, by reason of the close of the war. This early training and experience in military affairs served him well in later years, when, as colonel of Kentucky Home Guards, he was in command at Covington during the raid of the Confederate officer, General Kirby Smith. During the Civil war his executive ability and mature judgment proved of great value in maintaining peace and order in his section of the state. Covington was on the border between the north and south as aligned in contest, and a dominant element of the community advocated state’s rights, with the attending justification of secession, the success of which would have disintegrated the nation. At this time, when Kentucky was trembling in the balance and multitudes were uncertain which cause to espouse, Mr. Shinkle promptly called for volunteers to form a guard for the protection of the city. The result was the organization of the historic “Shotgun Company,” which speedily expanded into the Forty-first Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. As has been well said, "This challenge of wavering minds defined at once the position of the many, and a rallying center was provided for vacillating Union sentiment." Mr. Shinkle’s rapid rise as a man of affairs placed him in commanding position among the leading capitalists and business men of this section of the state, and he carried into successful operation extensive and important enterprises. The reorganization of the company to complete the Covington and Cincinnati suspension bridge was consummated by him in 1856, and concerning his efforts in this and other directions the following pertinent statements have been written: “Through numerous and almost appalling discouragements he never lost faith in the success of this great project until he beheld its grand actuality ten years later, becoming president of the company at the time of its reorganization and giving to its affairs the benefit of his splendid administrative powers and capitalistic support. Likewise he founded and promoted successfully the Covington Gas Company, of which he continued president until his death. He was also the founder and the first president of the First National Bank of Covington, and was director or president of other corporations too numerous to mention. Throughout his long and useful career he had at heart the advancement of every good interest of the community. Many of the financial enterprises that eventually contributed to his own fortune were conceived in a large-minded and generous desire to help the city of his adoption, and upon every hand can be seen substantial proofs of his disinterested sagacious activity in the interest of the social and material progress and prosperity of the people among whom he had cast in his lot. His public-spirited endeavor that Covington should take proud position among sister cities was a strong and constant impulse. His connection with the board of education inaugurated a change in the architectural beauty and utility of the public-school buildings. As a member of the city council he made his influence always felt for good. He was long and prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in local politics he was an unostentatious but a recognized power.
"It was division of opinion during the Civil war that made Mr. Shinkle a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, though he had all along been an occasional attendant upon public worship and had for a number of years been a pew holder in several prominent churches. The churches generally showed the prevailing feeling as to the great questions of the day, and he was not satisfied with their attitude. The Methodist Episcopal church on Greenup street, unpretentious in appearance and limited in resources, represented unhesitating loyalty to the nation, and to this church Mr. Shinkle was drawn by patriotic considerations as well as by the attraction of some strong personal friendships among its members. He threw himself unreservedly and with characteristic zeal into the work of building up the organization and its interests. A new and stately edifice replaced the old one. That there might be no question as to the loyalty of those who worshipped therein, its windows and woodwork were painted red, white and blue, and by common consent it was called Union church. From a helpful business connection with this church Mr. Shinkle grew, almost inperceptibly yet rapidly, into a positive spiritual relationship, and he soon established a family altar. The Sunday school invited him, almost as soon as he entered the church, to become its superintendent, and his activity in that capacity was terminated only by his death. His piety was a primary and inwrought conviction and he consecrated to the church and to his fellow men that which was his to bestow. It would be a violation of the modesty of those who bear his name to enumerate the gifts to various causes which signalized the period of his religious life, but it is simple justice to his memory to state that always munificent in his benefactions, he in some years distributed to charity sums which many an ambitious man would regard as adequate fortunes. The Protestant Children’s Home, a costly edifice devoted to useful purposes, was a gift for a home for the orphaned or otherwise uncared for Protestant children of Covington. He was actively engaged in the preliminary movement which led to the introduction of a lay representation in the Methodist Episcopal church, and in 1872, as well as at each succeeding session, he was a member of the general conference of the church. Devoted to the interests of the Methodist Book Concern, watching its growth with peculiar pride; thoughtful for the Freedman’s Aid Society and its wide benevolent work in the south; busied with plans for the aid of poor clergymen in the Kentucky conference; a pillar and pride of the local church – he was a noble specimen of the devout, God-fearing, diligent Christian. His beautiful life ended at his beautiful home in Covington on the 13th of November, 1892."
On the 10th of November, 1842, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Shinkle to Miss Sarah Jane Hughes, and she survives him. They became the parents of only one child, Bradford Shinkle, and concerning him individual mention is made on other pages of this work. [A HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS By E. POLK JOHNSON 1912 The Lewis Publishing Company; Transcribed by KM]
W. T. Winter
W. T. Winter, farmer, P. O. New Harmony, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, February 13, 1825, and is a son of Eljiah Winter, who was born in 1799. W. T. Winter acquired his education in the common schools. His first wife was Sarah English, to whom he was married in 1846. She lived but a few years leaving him a widower. His second wife was Lucy Carr, to whom he was married in 1853. He was a widower again in 1873, at which time he was united in marriage with Jane Patten, who still survives. He is a member of the Masonic order at New Harmony, also a member of the Methodist Church. He was the father of three children, of whom two are living — Sanford and Harriet. He is alwsys noted for his honor, and fair dealing with his fellow-men, and will leave behind a name of which his children should ever feel proud. [The History of Brown County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County..." Chicago; W.H. Beers & Co; 1883]
Angeline E. Wright
Angeline E. Wright, farmer, P. O. Mt. Oreb, was born in Virginia February 14, 1821, she is a daughter of A. A. and Mary J. Evans, who were both natives of Virginia. They were united in marriage April 27, 1820. A. A. Evans was a prominent land lawyer in Virginia. Becoming tired of their native State, they emigrated to Brown County, Ohio, in 1841. Our subject acquired a good common school education and was married in 1841, soon after she came with her parents to Ohio. She owns 100 acres of land which she has cultivated in the very best manner. She is the mother of eleven children, of whom six now survive — Henry C, Cintha A., Virginia R., DeWitt C, William A. and Anjie E. [The History of Brown County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County..." Chicago; W.H. Beers & Co; 1883]
Joseph Young, farmer. P. O. Sureyville, was born in Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, May 29, 1834, and is a son of Omega and Nancy Young. Omega was born in North Carolina, emigrated to Virginia when a boy, remained there awhile and then pressed forward to Kentucky, and after living in Kentucky for a time, he emigrated to Ohio in 1853, when he settled in Lewis Township, Brown County, four miles north of Higginsport, where he now resides. Joseph is the second son and fifth child of the family. He was united in marriage with Mary Ann Loudon, February 16, 1865. He acquired a common school education, and has been engaged in teaching in the common schools of Ohio for a number of years. He owns 74 acres of land in Pike Township, where he resides. Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of six children, of whom five survive - Nancy S., Omega D., Nellie G., Mary B. and Jessie V. Mr. Young's record is such that his children may point to it with pride. Himself and wife have been members of the Methodist church for a number of years. [The History of Brown County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County..." Chicago; W.H. Beers & Co; 1883]