Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Brown County, Ohio
Genealogy and History



Obituaries and Death Notices

Gus Armbuster
Frank Hanes of Georgetown, Ohio cut Gus Armbuster's throat during an argument over politics, severing the jugular vein and he will die.  [Source: Custer Co. Republican, Nov. 15, 1900]

Mabel Allene Arthur
Arthur, Mabel A. (nee Berry), beloved wife of Virgil R. Arthur, devoted mother of Lejune Humphrey and Marilyn Grooms, grandmother of Sharon Miller, Scott Humphrey, Kris Connley, Jenny Hafner, Robyn Grooms, also survived by six great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews, sister of Ada Simmons and the late Ralph Berry, Friday Oct. 20, 1995, age 80 years. Mrs. Arthur was Past Matron of Pleasant Ridge Eastern Star Chapter #378. Friends may call at the Vorhis Funeral Home 11365 Springfield Pk., Springdale, Monday, October 23, 1995 from 10 A.M. until service time at 11 A.M.
[unknown newspaper, c. Oct 1995 - Sub. by Kristian P. Connley]

Henry O. Beckwith
BECKWITH, Henry O., steel broker and manufacturers' agent; born in Brown Co., Ohio, Feb. 13, 1869; son of John Hull and Agatha (Smith) Beckwith; educated in pub.lic schools of Hamilton Co., Ohio; married, Wyoming, Ohio, May 23, 1893, Bertha M. Schwarz. Began business career in Cincin.nati, and during last eight years of residence there was manager of the Hamilton Canal Boat Co.; came to St. Louis, and in January, 1904, with brother, J. H. Beckwith, estab.lished present business of Beckwith Bros., brokers and manufacturers' agents in iron and steel products. Republican. Methodist. Office: 1017 Chemical Bldg. Residence: 758 Goodfellow Ave.
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

Margaret Bradford
Georgetown, Jan 25 - Mrs. Margaret Bradford, 30, was burned to death today when her clothing took fire from an open grate.
[Plain Dealer, Jan 26, 1917]

Israel Donalson
Death of an Aged Pioneer.
Died, at the residence of his son, near Redoak, Brown county, Ohio, on the 9th ult., Mr. Israel Donalson, aged 93 years and 8 days.
The deceased was born in Cumberland county, New Jersey, and was among the few, if not the last, who heard the cannon used in celebrating the 4th of July, 1776. He came to Virginia, near Wheeling, in 1788. In 1789 or 1790 he came to Limestone, now Maysville, and, according to Collins' History of Kentucky, taught the first school ever taught in that State.---Early in 1791 he came to Manchester, the first settlement made in the Virginia Military District.
On the 25th of April, same year, he was taken prisoner by the Indians and taken in a northwest direction for several days. He managed to escape from them, and going southwest he fell into Gen. Harmar's trail. After suffering greatly, he got to Fort Washington now Cincinnati. Being clothed partly in Indian costume, General St. Clair thought, or affected to think, he was a spy. Being assisted, for he was not able to go alone, he went to head-quarters. After his examination and discharge, he went down to Col. Symmes', late residence of President Harrison, where he remained until his health was sufficiently restored to return. In 1793 he did business for Mr. Bartle, who was the first merchant who ever sold goods in what is not the city of Cincinnati.
He was one of the delegates from Adams county to the Convention at Chillicothe, which met in November, 1802, and framed the first Constitution of this State. He was one of the committee of nine to whom was referred the slavery question. In that committee four were for slavery ande five against it. He was one of the five. For the last six or seven years he was the only survivor of that body.
At the organization of the Manchester Presbyterian Church he united with it. He was elected elder, and served in that capacity until age and infirmities forbade it.
As a man and a Christian he was generally respected. For several months before his death he was confined to his room, and mostly to his bed, until his system gave way, without any perceptible disease.--- Ripley Bee.
[The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, Highland Co., Oh.) Thursday, March 29, 1860 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Gideon Dunham
Gideon Dunham, an old and prominent citizen of Brown county, died at Georgetown on the 7th, of flux. He formerly represented the county in the Legislature, was for several years Clerk of the Court, and at the time of his death was U. S. Deputy Collector. He was greatly respected for his amiable character, integrity and business qualifications. He was an exemplary member of the M. E. Church, and also of the Masonic order.
[The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, Highland Co., Oh.) Thursday, September 22, 1864 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Mr. Fox
Ripley, O., Dec 20 -- We are told that in the night of the 15th instant, while Mr. Fox, near Anderson's mill, in this county was at work in his smith shop, some unknown person shot him. Mr. Fox died of the wound in about one hour. It is said the same person is suspected for perpetrating this horrid crime on whom suspicion rests for some time since killed Mr. Allen of Perry township. - Castigator.
["Republican Compiler" (Gettysburg, PA) January 11, 1826 - NP - Sub by FoFG]

Hattie Blanche Lewis
Hattie Blanche, daughter of John and Rebecca Lewis, was born near Buford, O., October 16, 1881 , died at her home July 9, 1897 , aged 15 years, 8 months and 22 days. She united with the Christian Church Feb.7, 1897, during the series of meetings held by Rev. W. A. Brundige of Delta, O. Hattie's sickness was of short duration, only a few days, and ere we could realize it, the Lord called her. "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye", a crushing weight of sorrow fell upon the hearts of those that loved her, but in the same instant, there came to her the far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. What a contrast. The brightness of that home sank suddenly to the midnight sorrow, but to her the transition was the effulgence of heavenly glory, as her face expressed in death. Hattie made friends wherever she went, she bound them to her, they loved her for she was worthy of their love; her kind disposition, genial nature won her a host of friends. She was possessed of a bright mind, gifted in music; the organ of the Christian Church where she presided is draped in mourning deeply do they realize their loss. She was a willing and faithful worker. She took sick Friday afternoon, July 2nd, while practicing the Juniors of the Sabbath School for an exercise for the 3rd of July; she went never to return. She possessed a cheerful sunny temperament, that affectionate way which made her life one of unusual attractiveness. Funeral services were conducted in the Christian Church by Elder Crawford, of Martinsville , O. The services were touching and impressive. With sacred sorrow the Sabbath Schools marched in procession to the church and cemetery. There the vault had been carefully prepared, its pure white linings and bordering of evergreens. The beautiful floral tributes were all manifestations of a great love. Tenderly they laid her to rest beneath a wilderness of flowers. It was a touching sight to see six of her girl friends, all in white, grief stricken, bearing their loved associate to her last resting place. The expressions of grief were great. We will miss Hattie, but we will strive to be submissive.
Let us be patient! These severe afflictions Not from the ground arise, But oftentimes celestial benedictions assume this dark disguise. She is not dead, the child of our affection, But gone unto that school where she no longer needs our poor correction.
And himself doth rule.
Resolutions of Respect: J. S. Puckett, Kit Earhart, R. R. Anderson.
[Unknown newspaper, c. July 1897 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]

William Liggett
Died. Suddenly, at his residence, near Ripley, Brown county, on Tuesday evening last, Mr. William Liggett, aged 63 years.
["The Scioto Gazette", (Chillicothe, OH) Thursday, February 02, 1843 February 02, 1843 Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Martha Matthews

John Matthews Martha Matthews
(Martha Moon Matthews and John C. Moon in front of the county school, Columbia College, near Buford)

HILLSBORO, OHIO, Thursday, August 26, 1943
Martha E. Moon, daughter of Alva and Delia Moon, was born Feb. 26, 1855 near Buford, Ohio and departed this life, August 5th, 1943 aged eighty-eight years, five months and nine days. She was united in marriage to Dr. John W. Matthews, October 1, 1881, and to this union was born one son, Walter C. Matthews, who with her husband has preceded her in death. Martha was been a life resident o this community, respected by all who knew her, devoted to her friends, her church and the institutions of this community. Her peaceful sleep tells us a task is finished, but the influence of her task, well done, will go on and on. Memories of her enrich our lives with an influence that will be felt as time goes by.

She leaves to mourn her passing, Ada Matthews, Walter's wife, who has done everything humanly possible for her comfort and welfare, her grandson Robert and his wife of Walterboro, South Carolina, one sister, Mrs. Alfred Moberly, of St. Louis, Mo., a host of friends and relatives.

If I live a life that is clean and square, If I love my fellow man, And lend him a hand to help him bear His burden whenever I can; I need not fear what the future holds, Nor what the reward shall be, For the mighty Love that all enfolds,Will surely care for me.

[Unknown Newspaper, c. Aug 1943; Submitted by Corinne Palko who adds this note: "Many of my Moon family ancestors were born in Brown Co., Ohio which adjoins Highland Co. Their village was Mt. Orab. They were active in the society of the near-by town of Buford."

Alva Moon

Alva Moon

Hillsboro, Ohio - On Sunday morning March 7th, 1897 , Alva Moon, well known in Brown, Highland and Clinton counties, died at his home near Buford, O. He had been a sufferer from disease for several years, and the last few weeks of his life had been made one of extreme torture by the acute development of the disease. It almost seemed a mercy that death came to his relief. Mr. Moon leaves his devoted life companion, eight children and thirteen grand children to mourn their irreparable loss, besides multitudes of kindred and friends.
The funeral did not take place until the 11th by reason of the members of the family being so scattered that they could not be gathered at the old homestead sooner. The services were held in the Christian Church at Buford, O., and were conducted by the Rev. Colegrove, of Blanchester, O.
The obsequies were attended by a large concourse of people other than the kindred of the deceased, who seemed moved by their esteem for the departed, to show marked respect for their friend and neighbor for the last time. Alva Moon, the youngest son of Samuel and Martha (Roush) Moon, was born near Martinsville Clinton county, Ohio , July 29th, 1824 . His parents were natives respectively of Randolph and Chatham counties, N. C. The former was born April 17th 1781 , and the latter, March 5th 1781. They were married in Jefferson county, Tennessee , Nov. 5th, 1801 , and in 1808 came to Ohio and settled in the somewhat famous “Moon Colony", now known as Clark township, in Clinton county. They had twelve children, only two of whom are living, Joshua and George. Samuel departed this life March 26th, 1846 , and is widow survived until 1852. Alva Moon was reared to man's estate at the home farm and received such educational advantages as the log school-houses of those days afforded. On February 20th, 1846 he was united in marriage with Delila, daughter of David and Rebecca Sewell. To them were born ten children - Rebecca E, George S, Samuel, Joseph W., John C, Mattie E., Simeon H, McPherson, Clara M. and Priscilla, all of whom are living except Simeon H. and McPherson. [Unknown Newspaper, c. March 1897 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]

Delilah Moon

Hillsboro , Ohio - Surrounded by those who had known and loved her, and now that she is gone will cherish her memory with lasting devotion. Mrs. Delilah Moon departed this life on Saturday evening, Nov. 23, 1901 in Buford , Ohio . Delilah Moon, nee Sewell, was the beloved daughter of David and Rebecca Sewell. She was born near Clarksville , Ohio , Dec. 15th, 1824 . Sharing the joys of a large family and reared in an atmosphere of peace ad unselfishness, she early learned the lessons of patience, gentleness and love to all mankind, which characterized her entire life. Her father's house was ever the shelter of the needy and oppressed. Many a poor soul hunted and hounded by southern planters found rest and help in this haven. When only a young girl, we was converted and united with the Protestant Methodist church during a revival service held at Lynchburg, Ohio, but after her marriage, joined the Universalist church. It is not too much to say of this modest, unassuming woman that she maintained through life a character above reproach; that her generous sprit was always ready to forgive, ready to throw the mantle of charity over the faults of others, and that humbly and faithfully she served the Great Master and died as she lived - in the Lord. On February 20th, 1845 , she was united to marriage with Alva Moon. To this marriage were given ten children; six sons and four daughters. Three sons, George S., Simeon, McPherson, with the husband and father have waited in the Eternal City for her coming. Of this family it may justly be said that each one had repaid ten-fold, the examples of thrift, honestly and sterling integrity given at fireside.
[Unknown Newspaper, c. Nov 1901 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]

John Corydon Moon

John Moon

Continued to Make Carriages When Brother Began Producing Automobiles
John Corydon Moon, president of the Landis Machine Co. and former carriage manufacturer, died early today of arterio-sclerosis at his home, 1 Westmoreland Place.
Mr. Moon, who was 80 years old, had been ill since last August, when he suffered an attack while attending the Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. Always in business for himself, Mr. Moon started as a photographer at Barry, Ill. He later bought and sold buggies there and operated a livery business. In 1882, with his brother, Joseph W. Moon, who later became an automobile manufacturer, he organized the Moon Bros. Carriage Co., for the wholesale manufacture of carriages.
Not in Auto Company
Mr. Moon, who never owned any stock in the Moon Motor Co., continued the carriage business after his brother went into automobile manufacturing. The carriage concern was dissolved about two years ago. At the time of his death, Mr. Moon was also president of the Mutual Wheel Co., of Moline, Ill, a concern formed by several carriage manufacturers. He was former president of the Moon-Hopkins Billing Machine Co., which was purchased by the Burroughs Adding Machine Co. in 1921, and moved to the Burroughs factory in Detroit. The Landis Co. makes shoe-repair machinery. Born in Brown County, Ohio, he was educated in Ohio public schools. He was married in 1880 to Miss Lelia M. Davis of Barry. She died in 1927. Surviving are his daughter, Mrs. Maude M. Lee, who resides at the Westmoreland address, and three sisters, Mrs. Alfred Moberly of St. Louis, Mrs. Thomas Coffman of Barry and Mrs. Martha Matthews of Buford, O. Funeral services will be held at the residence at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon with interment in a family mausoleum in Bellefontaine Cemetery.

[Unknown St. Louis Missouri Newspaper, November 21, 1933 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]

Joseph W. Moon

Joseph Moon

Was head of the Moon Motor Car Co. and Two Other Concerns
Joseph W. Moon, 68 years old of 24 Washington Terrace, president of the Moon Motor Car Co., died from hardening of the arteries at his home at 8:45 o'clock last night. He had been ill for a year, and during the last month was in bed. He was also president of the Joseph W. Moon Buggy Co., and the vice president of the Scheler Implement Co. of Moline, Illinois. He was born in Brown County, O. and came to St. Louis in 1882 with his brother, John Corydon Moon.

They began the manufacture of vehicles under the firm name of Moon Bros. Carriage Co. Ten years later he organized the Joseph W. Moon Buggy Co. and went in business for himself. In 1907 he organized the motor car company that bears his name and began the manufacture of automobiles. This plant was turned over to the Government for shell production when the United States entered the war and had contracts aggregating about $5,000,000 when the armistice was signed. Moon owned the controlling interest in both firms of which he was president. His wife [Rebecca Wood] died four years ago. He is survived by two sons, Stanley now on the way home from the naval aviation forces abroad; Lieut. Earl J. Moon of the Motor Transport Corps stationed at San Francisco and one daughter, Mrs. Stewart McDonald, who made her home with him. Three sisters and two brothers also survive, Mrs. Alfred Moberly, St. Louis; Mrs. T. C. Cauffman [Coffman], Barry, Illinois ; Mrs. Martha Matthews, Buford, O., and John C. Moon of St. Louis who is president of the Landis Machine and Moon-Hopkins Billing Machine companies and of the Mutual Wheel Co. of Moline, also a brother Samuel Moon, of Columbus. [St. Louis Post-Dispatch, February 12, 1919 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]

Rebecca Moon
Rebecca, daughter of Alva and Delilah Sewell Moon, also the oldest of a family of ten children, was born near Farmer's Station, Clinton County , Ohio , Dec.1, 1845, and entered the City Eternal from her home in Buford, Highland Co., Ohio , on the morning of Aug. 9, 1918 . She came with her parents, a little girl to the “Wallace Neighborhood", Brown County , but was always identified with the Buford Society. On Dec. 31, 1868 , she was united in marriage to John Lee Riggs, who lived only a few years, leaving a young widow and one daughter [Cora], the comfort of all her mother's days. In 1879, she became the wife of Mr. John Lewis, of Buford. A daughter was given to them, Hattie Lewis, whose death just in the bloom of young womanhood, forever saddened the remaining years of the parents. So many good words might be said of Mrs. Lewis. She has lived her quiet life. Devoted to her church and every good for humanity. Sympathetic, generous and especially devoted to the sick and suffering. Even in failing health her work and self sacrifice for the Red Cross work has been wonderful. Mrs. Lewis' life has verified the Creed " “If there is any good I can do, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it " for I shall not pass this way again". She leaves a sorrowing husband, son and daughter with a large circle of relatives and friends to love and cherish a most blessed memory.
[Unknown Newspaper, c. Aug 1918; Submitted by Corinne Palko]

Samuel Moon

Samuel Moon

Brief Illness Fatal To Ex-Manufacturer
Death of Samuel Moon, Carriage Maker, Is Coincident With Passing of Buggy Co.
Columbus , Ohio: Samuel Moon, 78, retired carriage manufacturer, and once active in Columbus industrial circles, died yesterday at his home, 208 E. Frambes Ave. , following a two weeks' illness. His death almost was coincidental with the cancellation of the charter of the Scioto Buggy Co., Buttles Ave. , which he and his brother, the late George S. Moon, owned when carriage manufacturing was one of the important industries of the city.
The charter, issued Nov. 24, 1885 , was cancelled Thursday by Secretary of State Brown, and marked the passing of the last corporation of Columbus which had been in such manufacturing and which had retained its legal status, although not engaged actively in the business that was banished by the automobile. The Scioto Buggy Co. was brought to a foremost place among half a dozen other such concerns by Mr. Moon and his brother, and in the palmy days of carriage making, factories throughout the country were accustomed to consult the Columbus industry as to each year's styles and models. Mr. Moon and his family came to Columbus from Brown County more than 30 years ago. He and his brother purchased a carriage factory which they incorporated as the Scioto Buggy Co. Ten years later Mr. Moon retired from business and sold his interest to the widow and children of his brother who had died. They continued to manage the firm several years, but the advent of the motor car drove the company from its field of prominence. Funeral services will be held at the residence which he had occupied for 16 years, at 3 p.m. tomorrow. The body will be removed to Buford, O. Monday by Denton & Donaldson for burial. Mr. Moon is survived by his widow, Mrs. Rhoda Moon; two daughters, Mrs. Lou D. Weber, Fremont, and Miss Lelia Moon at home; a brother J. C. Moon, St. Louis ; three sisters, Mrs. A. F. Moberly, St. Louis , Mrs. T. C. Coffman, Barry , Ill. and Mrs. J. W. Matthews, Buford; and two granddaughters. [Unknown Newspaper, c. Jan 1, 1927; Submitted by Corinne Palko]

Priscilla Almira Moon

Priscilla Moon

Priscilla was born in Mount Orab, Brown Co., Ohio on July 5, 1865, She was the daughter of Alva and Delilah Sewell Moon, one of ten children. She married Alfred F. Moberly, an officer of the Moon Motor Car Co. Children: Mabel and Ralph Moberly. Priscilla died in March of 1960 in St. Louis, Missouri.
[Unknown newspaper, c. March 1960; Sub. by Corinne Palko]

Lt. William Reynolds
Reynolds, Lt. William, U.S. Army, died 30 Aug. at Ripley, Ohio. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 1st Regiment, U.S. Infantry in Jan. 1824 and since then was promoted to 1st Lieutenant. On 1 March he submitted his resignation, which was to take effect 1 Aug. At one time he acted as Assistant Commissary, aid to Gen. Atkinson and Assistant Adjutant General. He was put off the steamboat
Sylph at Ripley, Ohio, for supposed bad conduct, and left to die. He was buried at Ripley, Ohio. [National Intelligencer, Sept. 28, 1830 - KT - Sub by FoFG]

Estella Weber
Died in Fremont
Mrs. Estella Weber, 65 of 832 Rawson Avenue , well known Fremont resident, died Tuesday [ April 21, 1942 ] at the home of a daughter, Mrs. W. E. Kirsch of 1039 Rawson Place , after an extended illness. Widow of Louis B. Weber, the deceased was a member of Hayes Memorial Methodist church, its Ladies Aid Society and the Fremont Federation of Women. Her husband, who died April 15, 1933 , was one of the founders of the Liberty Banking Company and was associated with the Fremont Rubber Products Company. Mrs. Weber was born in Brown County , near Mt. Orab , Ohio , January 27, 1877 , a daughter of Samuel and Rhoda Moon. Following Mrs. Weber's marriage on June 29, 1896 , she resided in Columbus . The family moved to Toleda in 1915 and to Fremont in 1920. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Kirsch and Mrs. A. J. Fischer of Fremont; a sister, Lelia Moon, who resided with Mrs. Weber and grandsons, Dan Fischer, William and Thomas Kirsch. Funeral services were held Friday at the Weller Wonderly funeral home. Rev. J. H. Jones, supply pastor at Hayes Memorial Methodist church during the illness of Rev. B. E. Stevens, officiated. Interment was in the Oakwood Cemetery . She was a sister-in-law of H. A. Weber of near Buford, and a niece of Mrs. Martha Matthews of Buford.
[Freemont, ( Ohio ) News Messenger, April 1942 - Sub. by Corinne Palko]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails