Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led
 

Butler County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 
Biographies


Clarence C. McKechnie

McKECHNIE, Clarence C.; born, Middletown, O., (Butler Co) July 13, 1870; son of William E. and Louise M. (Kemp) McKechnie; educated in public schools; married at Toledo, O., 1901, M.P. Coakley. Began in coal business, 1895; entered wholesale coal and coke business for self, 1900; came to Detroit, 1901, where he has since maintained headquarters. Recreations: Automobiling and photography. Office: Trussed Concrete Bldg. Residence: 363 Cass Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, pub. 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]

Judge John Mitchell
Peru (Indiana). The subject of our sketch is a native of Great Britain. He was born in the city of Bristol, England, September 24, 1829. His father was a native of Prussia, and his mother a native of England. In November, 1833, he emigrated, with his parents, to the United States, arriving at the city of Philadelphia. He lived in Delaware and Chester Counties, Pennsylvania, until ten years of age. He then removed with his parents to Wayne County, Indiana, where he remained four years. His parents then removed to Peru, Indiana, bringing their family with them, arriving on the second day of October, 1843. Mr. Mitchell attended the public school, where he received a good primary education. After completing his course of study in this department, he was sent to a seminary at Cambridge City, Indiana, where he continued his studies one year, under the supervision of Prof. Hoshour, now of the Northwestern Christian University. At the age of 14 he learned the tailor's trade with his father, who was engaged in that occupation. This trade he followed in the city of Peru for a number of years, devoting his spare moments to the acquisition of legal knowledge, in which pursuit he made rapid progress, under the instruction of the late Alphonso A. Cole. In 1861, he was elected Justice of the Peace, when he abandoned the tailor's trade, devoting his entire time to the study of law. In December, 1863, he was admitted to the bar of Miami County, and entered into partnership with Hon. H. J. Shirk, with whom he has since been associated, excepting a short interval in the winter of 1872. He was elected Justice of the Peace three terms, without opposition. He rose rapidly in his profession, taking rank with the older members of the bar. In October, 1872, less than nine years after he commenced practice, he was elected Common Pleas Judge of the Twenty-fifth Judicial District of Indiana, composed of the Counties of Miami, Cass and Pulaski. To this office he was also elected without opposition. This was a high honor to confer upon him; and more particularly so, as he is the only member of the Miami County Bar who was elevated to that position. In this capacity he served his constituents, until the Legislature abolished the court, when he resumed the practice of law with his former partner, Mr. Shirk. At the close of his brief judicial career, Judge Mitchell retired from the high position awarded him by his fellow citizens, with an enviable reputation as a jurist, and a record of which he may justly be proud. The annals of the Twenty-fifth Judicial District Court present no brighter example of integrity and dignity. He is a logical and impressive speaker, and is known throughout the county as a conscientious adviser and successful practitioner. Though a self-made man, he is one of marked ability. His name will stand out prominently, in the years to come, as an example of what may be accomplished by application and perseverance in the difficult profession of the law. Judge Mitchell was married February 24, 1859, to Miss Caroline R. Foote, of Paynesville, Ohio, who bore him several children, the following of whom are living, namely: Emily M., Samuel C. and Mary F. Mitchell. Mrs. Mitchell died on the 16th day of September, 1883. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, pub. 1887 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

Eddmore S. Morris
EDDMORE S. MORRIS, a native of Chillicothe, Rush County, Ohio, was born August 5, 1829, and is the eldest son of Carvil and Elizabeth (Beale) Morris, who were natives of Ohio and Virginia respectively. Eddmore S. was reared on the farm until he reached the age of eighteen, when his youthful patriotism grew so strong that he entered the service of his country in the Mexican war in the Second Ohio regiment in 1847, and remained about one year, and he then returned to the farm, there continuing until reaching his majority, 1850, when he came to Peru, and in a short time thereafter was to be found in Logansport learning the trade of a stone-cutter, and after a time, when his eanings would permit, he would attend school, applying his surplus earnings to the payment of tuition until his education was so complete that he finally engaged in school teaching,, at which he continued alternately with his trade until 1857, then returned to Peru and engaged exclusively at his business until 1862. He then purchased the Brownell farm which he managed for three years and then disposed of it and embarked in the mercantile business, in which he did not prove to be successful, losing his entire investment, $15,000. Although luck was not his companion, in 1869 he again re-opened his business, having secured the aid of some eastern capitalist, which again re-established him, and since which time he has been doing a thriving trade in the grocery and bakery business. The 19th of January, 1857, his marriage was solemnized, he taking as a life partner Miss Nancy Johnson Grant, a native of Butler County, Ohio, and to them seven children were born. Their names are Nellie B., Jennie F., Elmer S., Wilbur G., Schuyler M., Lizzie, lea E., and Anna (deceased). In 1853 he was made a Mason and also an Odd fellow. Politically he is a Republican. His son Elmer S., is an attorney at law, born in November, 1861, and commenced practicing in 1883. He is a graduate of the High Schools of Peru, as are also Wilbur S., Schuyler M., Jennie and Nellie.
[Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, pub. 1887 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]





BACK -- HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails