Genealogy Trails


Champaign County, Ohio
Genealogy and History


Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

logo

 

line
Biographies
line


JAMES ALLISON, merchant tailor, of the firm of Ellis, Weaver & Allison; is a native of Scotland, and was born in 1840 ; he was put to learn the trade of a tailor when 11 years old, and has followed that business ever since. He came to America in 1858, and located in Urbana in 1864, and in 1878 became a member of the above firm. Mr. Allison's mother, an aged Scotch lady, now resides with him. He married, in 1868, Belle, daughter of William Sampson; she is a sister of Mrs. I. B. Happersett, whose biography appears in this work. They have two children—James M. and Bertha. Mr Allison has had years of practical experience as a salesman and cutter, and is a worthy citizen. Mr. Allison is a member of the Order of Red Men, also of the Masonic Order and I. O. O. F. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

JAMES W. ANDERSON, druggist; was born in Virginia in 1828, and came to this State in 1848, becoming a resident of Urbana; in 1856, he engaged in the drug business with Dr. J. S. Carter, Jr., whose biography also appears in this book ; he had been associated in the business with various persons until 1879, since which time he has conducted the business alone at the old stand, corner of Scioto street and Monument square, where he now keeps a full and complete line of drugs, paints, etc. His reputation is already well established, and his continual success is a deserved compliment to his business ability. He was married, in 1872, to Caroline, daughter of S. V. Baldwin, a former prominent citizen of Urbana. Mr. Anderson is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and also of the Masonic Fraternity, and is an active and worthy citizen. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

J. J. ANDERSON, City Marshal; was born in Augusta Co., Va., March 9, 1835, where he was raised and educated; his time was devoted to farming until the age of 21 years; his father having died, the mother and family emigrated to Champaign County, Ohio, where J. J., in April, 1856, commenced the carpenter trade, to which he applied himself until the out-break of the rebellion, when he enlisted for ninety days, going into service in April, 1861, in Co. K, 2d O. V. I. At the expiration of his enlisted time he re-enlisted in Co. Dr, 3d O. V. C., for three years. At the expiration of this term he re-enlisted, remaining until the close of the great struggle, participating in the battles of Stone River, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Selma, Nashville, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge. He was one of the few who returned home with but one slight flesh wound. He then took up his trade, which he followed until the spring of 1873, when the citizens of Urbana chose him as City Marshal; re-elections have since followed ; the office has been acceptably filled. His marriage with Miss Harriet E. Kimber was celebrated in 1868 ; she was born in Piqua, Miami Co., Ohio, in 1837. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

J. H. AYERS, M. D., Urbana; is a native of New York State, and was born in Warren Co. in 1832. His father, Joseph Ayers, is a minister of the M. E. Church ; removed with his family to Ohio in 1853. He is now one of the oldest active Methodist Episcopal ministers in the State, and resides at Ottawa. The subject of this sketch attended the Troy Conference Academy at Pouhney, Vt., and attended medical lectures and graduated from Castleton Medical College, of the same State, in 1851. He immediately began practicing at Glens Falls, N. Y., but removed to West Liberty, Logan Co., Ohio, in the fall of 1852, where he practiced until 1862, when he entered the U. S. service as Surgeon of the 34th O. V. I., and served until February, 1865. After his return he removed to Urbana, and has continued here ever since, enjoying a very satisfactory practice. He is now also Superintendent and Treasurer of the Urbana Water Works Co., and Trustee of the Central Lunatic Asylum. He has also been a member of the School Board a number of years, and is identified with the interests of Urbana generally. He is a member of the M. E. Church, and, while encouraging all Christian efforts, gives to that denomination his active sympathy and support. As a physician he enjoys the confidence of the community and their respect as a citizen. He married, in 1863, Miss Mary, daughter of James McDonald. They have five children living, three daughters and two sons, viz., Fannie, now Mrs. George Murphy, of Springfield, Ohio; Julia Gertrude, Flora Ava and Duncan McDonald (twins) and Joseph. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

EDWIN BAILEY, saw-miller and cooper, Urbana; was born Sept. 12, 1828, in Harford Co., Md., and is a son of Josias and Catherine (Vandegrift) Bailey. Josias was born in the same county (Harford) in February, 1795, and followed coopering and farming nearly half a century. When Edwin was about 11 years old, the parents removed to Guernsey Co., Ohio ; four years later to Licking Co., Ohio, where the father still resides. Edwin served his father faithfully at the cooper trade until 21 years of age, though soon after started in life for himself, working two years in Roscoe, in which time he saved $1,000, an event of which he prides himself, and one which should commend itself to every young man. At the end of this period he made a short visit to his parents; thence came to Urbana, where he was in the employ of Guinn Bros, a short time. He then, in company with his brother George, devoted some time to traveling, and, after visiting the World's Fair, returned to Logan Co., Ohio, in September, 1853, and engaged in business for himself, but, nine years later, removed to Urbana, where we now find him. While residing in Logan Co., July 5, 1855, he married Dorcas M. Crane; two children have been born to them—Edwin B., who died at the age of 5 years and 7 months, and Nettie, who is still the light of their home. Mrs. B. is a daughter of Capt. Zenas C. and Elizabeth P. (Spear) Crane, and was born in Pine Brook, Essex Co., N. J. At the age of 11 years she removed with her parents to Licking Co., Ohio, where she lived until her marriage with Mr. B., who, since living in Urbana, has been engaged in coopering, and saw-milling. When a young man and working at his trade, he would make from twelve to eighteen barrels per day. The following is taken from the Coshocton Democrat, of Dec. 3, 1850 : " Premium Working - Edwin Bailey, a cooper in the employ of A. Medbury, Esq., of Roscoe, made, from Monday morning to Saturday evening of last week, 105 flour barrels, the actual working time being 98 hours, the last barrel being taken from the rough and completed in 35 minutes. The three preceding weeks he made respectively 70, 80 and 95 barrels. This is rapid working." Mr. B. has not only been successful in business, but has always enjoyed the fruits of his labor by traveling, giving to the poor and needy, and looking after the comfort of his family, and many hands who have been in his employ speak in a praiseworthy style of him. He was elected as a member of the City Council in 1865, which office he filled with credit and honor. He has in his possession a staff made from the mast of Commodore Perry's ship, which he prizes very highly. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

GEORGE E. BECHTOLT, proprietor of the Excelsior Cast Steel Plow Works, Urbana ; among the manufactories of Urbana, it is necessary to mention the Excelsior Cast Steel Plow Works,which were re-opened by Mr. Bechtolt in 1878; it is now one of the leading manufactories of the county, in which are annually made 500 plows, and, in connection with this, manufactures tile machines and executes all kinds of job work. The enterprise is one of old standing, but had gone down considerably ; the present proprietor has, since re-opening, redeemed the original trade, and now is favorably known throughout the county, the western part of the State, and in Indiana. Mr. Bechtolt was born in Germantown, Montgomery Co., Ohio, in 1848, where he was raised to farm life and received his education. At the age of 18 years, he commenced the plow work, which trade he completed in the Dayton Anghe Plow Works. In 1872 and 1873, he was head workman in the plow works at Fort Wayne, Ind. ; one year later, located in Urbana, and, in 1878, became proprietor of these works; since a resident of Urbana, has been identified in the interest of the city, and at present is President of the Council. His marriage was celebrated with Miss Mary A. Shank in April, 1877-; she was born in Germantown, Montgomery Co., Ohio, in 1855 ; they have one child. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

EDWIN M. BENNETT, grain dealer, Urbana. Mr. Bennett is a native of Vermont; born at Woodstock in 1831; he came West as an engineer in 1851, and for five years was engaged as a civil engineer on the railroads of Ohio and Indiana; in 1856, he married Martha Marsh, also a native of Vermont, daughter of Rev. Joseph D Marsh, then a resident of Woodstock; after his marriage he settled at Woodstock and engaged in buying grain and stock until 1869, when he removed to Urbana, and, in connection with P. B. Koss and H. P. Espy, built the Urbana Elevator. Mr. Bennett has been engaged in the grain business here since, and is now sole owner and operator of the elevator, and the leading grain dealer of Urbana. He handles about three hundred thousand bushels of grain in one season, his sales being made largely to millers and dealers at interior points between here and New York. He has served three terms as County Commissioner, during which the present system of gravel roads was inaugurated, and to his engineering skill and business tact is largely due the success of these enterprises : he has two sons—Charles M. (City Engineer), and Edwin M., Jr., who assists his father in the grain business. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

T. H. BERRY (deceased), as we well know, change is constant and general, generations are rising and passing unmarked away; for the gratification of the family, we here inscribe a true sketch of T. H. Berry, who was born Jan. 5, 1820, and was a son of Judge E. C. Berry; he spent his entire life in Urbana, except a period of three years in Chicago and Danville, Ill.; his business career in Urbana was devoted to the grocery trade; as a child, he was obedient and tractable; as a man, upright and honest; as a husband, loving, kind and affectionate; in his parental duties, gentle, vet decided in his requirements of his children; as a business man, no one ever doubted his capacity and sterling integrity, as the result of his successful enterprise fully warrants ; lastly, as a public officer, he leaves no stain of crookedness behind him, as the records will readily exhibit; to show the public estimation of his worth, it is only necessary to say that, at his death, Nov. 9, 1879, he had consecutively held the office of Treasurer of Urbana nineteen years; a member of the Board of Education sixteen years in the city district, and no one had cause to complain: his loss to the family, community and church, was deeply felt, as he was a member of the Presbyterian Church nearly thirty years, during which time his daily walk evinced all of his true Christian life. He married, May 1, 1846, Miss Luxima Hughes, daughter of the late Dr. James R. Hughes, of Oxford, Ohio, where she was born June 8, 1826 ; there she was raised and educated ; she now bears the name of her departed husband, with seven loving and affectionate children, of whom the eldest is a daughter. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

SAMUEL C. BOSLER, County Sheriff, Urbana; was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., in 1839, and is the last child of a family of thirteen children, of John and Rosanna (Pancake) Bosler, both natives of Pennsylvania, where they were raised and married. After a companionship of many years, John died in the fall of 1874, at the age of 83. Rosanna still survives, at the age of 84, bearing the name of her departed husband. Our subject was raised in his native State, where he acquired the principal part of his education. In May, 1854, he came West as far as Champaign Co., of which he has since been a resident, save three years and three months which were spent in the late war. In April, 1861, the evening after Fort Sumpter was fired on, he enlisted in Co. C, 13th O. V. I., under Capt. Don Piatt, of Logan Co., Ohio. While in service he participated in many of the hard-fought battles, among which we mention Shiloh. Perryville, Stone River, Mission Ridge, and the campaign to Altoona Ridge. U June, 1864, he was honorably discharged at Chattanooga, and returned home, but soon after went to Tennessee, engaging in the cotton trade until June, 1865. In the meantime, he married Mildred S. Miller. In the fall of 1865, he located in Concord Township, engaging in farming and stock-raising. He continued his farm pursuits till the fall of 1876, when he was honorably elected to his present office, and re-elected in 1878 Mr. and Mrs. Bosler are the parents of two children. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

WILLIAM O. BOWLES, Principal of the Colored Schools, Urbana; was born in Xenia, Ohio, June 20, 1851, and is the second of a family of seven boys, viz., Arthur T., William O., John H., George S., Charles M. (deceased), Oscar T. and James O.. and is the son of Rev. John R. and Sarah J. (Bryant) Bowles. Rev. John was born in Lynchburg, Va., June 12, 1826, and departed this life Sept. 3, 1874. He was an eminent Baptist minister and late Chaplain of the 55th Mass. V. I. In 1865, after returning from the war, he was elected Principal of Albany Enterprise Academy, located in Athens Co., Ohio. He held said position until 1870, when he resigned to take charge of a church. During his administration as Principal, the academy rose to honor and distinction. Sarah, his wife, was born in Northampton Co., N. C., Oct. 1, 1828, and was one of those thoughtful, affectionate and exemplary mothers who essayed to make no vain outward show, but whose highest aim was to perform faithfully the exalted duties of a wife and mother. As a woman of sterling industry, skillful economy, wise counsel and affectionate piety, she ranks with the good and queenly women of earth, and now resides in Columbus, Ohio. Soon after the birth of our subject, the family moved to Chillicothe, where this promising young boy was put in school and remained there for several years. When he was 14 years of age, his father placed him in the academy, where he remained one year, and then took charge of his first school, at Pine Grove. His success was so marked with this school that he was solicited by different boards of education to take charge of their schools, but was chosen assistant teacher in the academy, teaching there, and in the schools near by, a period of seven years. At the expiration of this time he came to Urbana, teaching in the South Urbana District two years; was then elected Principal of the colored schools of the city, which position he now holds, being in his eighth successive year. He is a member of the St. Paul A. M. E. Church, and Secretary of the same. He was received into fall communion in May, 1876. His marriage with Mattie Adams was celebrated Nov. 12,1874. The issue of this union is three children—William O., Jr., George A. C. and Henry R. His wife is a daughter of Rev. Henry and Margaret (Lyons) Adams, and was born Jan. 17, 1855, in Circleville, Ohio. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

MRS. LOUISE ESTHER VICKROY BOYD
Boyd, Mrs. Louise Esther Vickroy, author, born in Urbana, Ohio, 2nd January, 1827.  When she was about four years of age, her parents removed to Ferndale, a picturesque valley among the mountains near Johnstown, Pa. Although good schools were scarce in those days, her education was not neglected, and for two years she was a pupil in the select school of Miss Esther R. Barton, in Lancaster, Pa. While a young woman she made frequent visits to Philadelphia, and she there became acquainted with many of the authors and literary people of that city. Her first poem was written in 1851. The next year she became a regular contributor to Grace Greenwood's "Little Pilgrim," and frequently, since that time, her poems as well as prose sketches have appeared in magazines and newspapers, among others the "Knickerbocker," "Graham's Magazine," "Appleton's Journal," the New York "Tribune," the Philadelphia "Saturday Evening Post," the Cincinnati "Gazette," " Woman's Journal." the Indianapolis "Journal," " Wide Awake," the "Century," and others. For several years she was engaged in teaching, until in September, 1865, she became the wife of Dr. S. S. Boyd, since which time her home has been in Dublin, Ind. Mrs. Boyd's married life was a most happy one. Her husband was a man of fine literary taste and an ardent worker in the cause of humanity, and she was strengthened and encouraged by him in the causes of temperance and woman suffrage. She is well known as an advocate of woman suffrage. Well acquainted with history, she has watched with unfailing interest all the movements of our eventful times, her sympathies ever on the side of the oppressed. She has frequently appeared on the platform, where she has a good presence, is natural, womanly, logical and sprightly. She is greatly interested in creating a State literature, and she has not only furnished much material for it, but has done a great deal toward creating a correct and pure literary taste in her own town and county. She was reared in the faith of the followers of Emanuel Swedenborg, but is now an earnest member of the Christian Church. She has been a widow since 1888. [Source: American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow]
 

WILLIAM F. BOYD, ice dealer, Urbana; was born in Urbana, Ohio, Aug. 8, 1838, and is a son of Alfred and Rosanna (Reyno) Boyd: Alfred was born in Virginia, and Rosanna in Urbana; William F. lived with his parents until 28 years of age, devoting his time to their interest, eXcept one year he and his father conducted a farm in partnership; at the time he left home he married Maria Waters, born in Virginia Oct. 15, 1840, and, when 13 years old, she, with her parents, came to Urbana, Ohio; William and Maria have had three children—Clarrie, William W. and Elmer; after William F. commenced work for himself he worked by the day several years, and during a part of the time had three teams at work, employing men to drive them; his employers advanced him $20, to which he added $30, which his wife had saved by economy and industry; he purchased his first horse, and, by working extra at night, was enabled to buy a wagon ; by the profit of this team and his own exertions was enabled to buy other teams, and, in 1867, commenced in the ice trade, which he has conducted successfully since ; by his own and wife's industry, they added little by little until they have procured a good home and other property ; they are now reaping the reward of their labors; though his ice trade was small at first, it has grown until it amounts to nearly $3,000 annually; in 1879, he was elected as a member of the City Council of Urbana. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

WILLIAM A. BRAND (deceased). William A. Brand was born in Union Township, Champaign Co., Ohio, July 9, 1837, and died in Urbana May 14, 1879; he was a son of Joseph C. Brand, the present Mayor of Urbana; at an early age he removed with his parents to Urbana, where he continued his residence to the time of his death ; he was educated at the public schools and the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware; he studied law with Hon. John H. James, and graduated from the Cincinnati Law School in 1858; soon after he formed a partnership with the late Hon. Moses B. Corwin, which continued until the latter retired from practice on account of advanced age. He was married, July 12, 1859, to Miss Frances R. Saxton, daughter of Joshua Saxton, the founder of the Citizen and Gazette, of Urbana, who still survives him; he continued in the practice of his profession until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the 66th O. V. I., and, in January, 1862, accompanied his regiment to the field, and served in every campaign with his regiment until the close of the war, resigning his commission as Regimental Quartermaster only after the declaration of peace, and, while the army was at Washington awaiting orders for muster out; his record as a soldier and officer is unblemished, and it was for many years a gratification, as well as a source of pride to him, that he had done what he could to sustain his imperiled Government; during the war, he was a regular correspondent of a home paper over the nom de plume of " D. N. Arbaw," giving truthful and graphic descriptions of the most important campaigns and battles of the war, which attracted much attention, and were much copied in the press of that time; the experience then derived, in a great measure prepared him for his labors in making up a history of some of the more prominent campaigns, only a portion of which had been published when death laid its hand upon him ; in 1865, he purchased a half-interest in the Citizen and Gazette, continuing his connection therewith until February, 1879; in this connection he soon made his mark, being a forcible and sagacious writer, carrying conviction with his arguments, and doing much for the improvement of the city and county, as well as rendering valuable services to his party; being a Republican by conviction, and feeling that through that party only could be preserved the results of the severe struggles of our armies from 1861 to 1865, he put his whole soul into his political work, though never descending to abuse or personalities ; he devoted himself assiduously to his business, and saw it develop day by day, with new improvements constantly added, and finally had the satisfaction of seeing issued from his presses work of the highest grade and finish, and the reputation of his job department extended throughout the State. Hoping, by a change of business, to restore his failing health, he accepted, in January, 1878, the position of Postmaster of Urbana, the first civil office he ever sought or held, he having, though often solicited to become a candidate for office, always expressed a dislike for the duties of a public servant, eXcept as they were self-imposed, feeling that his duties as an editor were higher and more imperative than could be imposed by any other call. He was an active member of a number of the secret orders, taking high rank in all; in the Improved Order of Red Men he held the position of Past Sachem, Great Senior Sagamore and Great Sachem, the highest position in the State, and for several years was State Representative in the Great Council of the United States; he had passed all the chairs in the Subordinate Lodge and Encampment of Odd Fellows, and had represented his district in the Grand Lodge of Ohio; he was a Past Commander in the Knights of Pythias and Past Master in the U. O. A. M.; his ability was especially displayed in connection with these orders, in all of which he was a recognized leader. As a man, he was chivalrous, generous, charitable and high-minded; a friend to the poor and oppressed, he never denied an application for charity, preferring to give sometimes to the unworthy, lest, perchance, he might miss an occasion for relieving actual want. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

HON. JOSEPH C. BRAND. Among the old residents of Urbana who have been prominently identified with the public affairs of Champaign Co., few have retained the confidence of its citizens to such an extent as ,the present popular Mayor of this city. His grandfather, Dr. James Brand, was a native of Scotland, who, graduating from the Edinburgh Medical University about 1756, came to the American Colonies and settled in Frederick City, Md., where he practiced his profession for many years. From there he moved to Ringgold's Manor, and then to Augusta Co., Va., where he died at the age of 96. He left a family of several children, Thomas Brand, the father of Joseph C., being one of the number. He was born in Maryland and moved with his parents to Virginia, and in 1808, he removed to Bourbon Co., Ky., where he was married to Miss Fanny Carter, a native of Maryland, who came to Kentucky in childhood. Of this union eight children were born, Joseph C. being the eldest; his parents residing in Bourbon Co. until death. On the 5th day of January, 1810. in the above-mentioned county, Joseph C. Brand :1 first saw the light," and there his youthful days were passed acquiring a good education, afterward following school teaching as an occupation. In 1830, he came to Urbana, and engaged in business with his uncle, Dr. Joseph S. Carter, in a drug store. In 1832, he began merchandising, at Mechanicsburg, with Dr. Obed Horr, where he remained until 1837, when he bought a farm on Buck Creek, on which he settled and followed farming until 1850, when he again moved to Urbana, where he has since lived, with the exception of his army service and Consulship in Germany. He was married in 1832, to Miss Lavinia Talbott, of Weston, W. Va. They have had nine children, as follows: Thomas T., a Captain in the regular army, retired on account of wounds received at Chickamauga; Joseph C., now Deputy Collector and Chief Clerk in the United States Revenue office at Bellefontaine, Ohio; William A., deceased, who was for many years co-editor with Joshua Saxton of the Citizen and Gazette, of Urbana, and was Postmaster of Urbana at the time of his death ; Belle, the wife of William R. Ross; Mary, the wife of the Rev. E. D. Whitlock, the Pastor of the William Street Methodist Episcopal Church, at Delaware, Ohio; John F., of the firm of Fulwider & Brand, grocers; Ella, the wife of Charles A. Ross, of Urbana, and two daughters, Ellen and Irva, who died in young womanhood. Mr. Brand has filled several county offices, and was Clerk of the Common Pleas and District Courts at the time of the adoption of the new State Constitution, which abolished the old courts and clerkships. He has represented his county and district in both branches of the State Legislature, serving as chairman of standing committees, in which capacity he was always ready and efficient. When the tocsin of war resounded throughout the land, and treason lifted the cover from off its hidden purposes by firing on defenseless Fort Sumter, Mr. Brand was one of the first men in Urbana to declare publicly that the time had come to fight, and that he was in favor of whipping rebels into subjection. He was active in obtaining the order for raising the gallant 66th O. V. I., assisting in recruiting and organizing that regiment; served as its Quartermaster, from 1861 till 1864, when he was promoted by President Lincoln, and made a Captain and Commissary of Subsistence of Volunteers," which office he filled until the war closed. He was on active duty three years and ten months, and all the time in the field; in the Valley of Virginia, on the Potomac, Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers, in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, Georgia, around Richmond and Petersburg, Va., and was present and witnessed Lee's surrender at Appomattox, closing up his service in the city of Richmond, where he was discharged, and mustered out of the service. He voluntarily went into the battle of Port Republic, and he and Adjt. Gwynne took an active part in repulsing the charge of Dick Taylor with his "Louisiana Tigers" upon Col. Daum's battery, which, after an hour's contest, was accomplished. In this close fight the battery changed hands three times, the horses and gunners being nearly all killed in the contest, but, with the aid of the 5th and 7th Ohio Regiments, the 66th charged bayonets and drove the rebels across the field into the woods, the loss being heavy on both sides. The victory, however, was of short duration; a fresh corps of rebels arriving on the field, the Union forces were compelled to retreat in confusion. In this side fight Col. Charles Candy was in command, and Lieut. Col. Powell was also on the line. When the war ended, Mr. Brand made a full settlement with the Government as Quartermaster and Commissary of Subsistence, and for "distinguished services during the war" was breveted Major. During Gen. Grant's administration, he accepted a Consulship at Nuremberg, in the kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, and with his wife and two daughters remained abroad nearly three years. In 1857, Mr. Brand took a prominent part in a noted event which occurred in that year, and which is known as the "Green County Rescue Case," the trouble commencing over a fugitive slave named Addison White, and culminating in the arrest, by the United States Marshal, of a number of Champaign County's citizens, who had expressed sympathy for the runaway slave, and who were rescued from the Marshal while they were passing through Greene County, en route for Cincinnati. Mr. Brand, with other leading citizens of Champaign County, were leaders in this rescue, and after considerable lawing, the case was finally settled by the purchase of the slave from his master. This incident demonstrates the position Mr. Brand and the average citizen of Champaign County occupied on those questions growing out of slavery, which finally ended in war, and the freedom of the Negro. In his business days, Mr. Brand took an active part in securing and the construction of the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad, being a stockholder, and an active Director in the company for five years. He has been elected three times as Mayor of Urbana, which position he is now filling, and the city has never had a more capable or efficient Mayor since its organization. He is a man of varied experience, with an extensive knowledge of past events, and his official career has been pure and upright, which has made him popular with all classes of good citizens. Politically, he is a stanch Republican, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and now, in their declining years, are living at the" old homestead,"on Reynolds street, which is a rallying point for their children and grandchildren, who find there the sunshine and happiness of parental love. Mr. Brand is one of the most generous and accommodating gentlemen which it has been our fortune to have met with in many years, and the purity and unimpeachable integrity of his private life is as strongly marked as that of his public career ; his kindly disposition, his warm, friendly greeting, his evident desire and willingness to confer favors, and the absence of all levity or coarseness from his conversation, mark him as a man of pure, strong, manly character, who fortunately possesses the attributes of true manhood. In his old age he still retains those active business habits that have characterized him in the past, and he is one of the few who have won and retained the respect and confidence of every one with whom he has come in contact. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

MAJ. T. T. BRAND, U. S. A., Urbana; was born in Mechanicsburg, Champaign Co., Ohio, Jan. 28, 1835. and is a son of Joseph C. Brand, whose biography appears above. Maj. Brand was raised and educated in this county. At the age of 21, he engaged in the mercantile trade, which he successfully conducted five years. At the close of this period, the war of the late rebellion was showing brilliant signs of a terrible struggle. He entered the service as 1st Lieutenant in the 2d O. V. I. on April 17, 1861. On June 2, following, he accepted an appointment as 1st Lieutenant in the 18th Infantry, U. S. A., and was promoted Captain Sept. 11,1863. Eight days later, he was badly wounded in the battle of Chickamauga, from which he suffered severely, but Providence and medical skill brought relief. In February, 1864, after a partial recovery, he was assigned to duty as mustering and disbursing officer. During a part of 1866 and 1867, he was Chief Mustering and Disbursing Officer of Indiana, and the following year of Ohio and West Virginia, having his headquarters at Columbus, Ohio. He, participated in many of the most severely fought battles, and, on March 5, 1865, was breveted Major for gallant and meritorious services in the battles of Stone River and Chickamauga. He remained on duty as mustering and disbursing officer until 1869, when he returned to Urbana, since which time he has been engaged in commercial pursuits. His nuptials were celebrated Dec. 28, 1864, with Miss E. C., daughter of Rev. David Warnock. The issue of this union is two sons—Frank W. and Thomas T., Jr. Mrs. Brand was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, June 7, 1843. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

JOSEPH O. BROWN, M. D. The medical profession of Champaign Co., Ohio, contains many members who rank among its leading citizens, and in the practice of medical science few towns of the size of Urbana can boast of a greater number of good physicians and talented surgeons. Among this class of professional men, Dr. J. C. Brown is recognized as a physician of ability, who by his own unaided efforts has gained a fair standing in his profession. He was born in the "Old Dominion"Feb. 14, 1814, and is the son of James W. and Margaret (Clark) Brown, natives of that State, who came to Champaign Co. Ohio, in 1822, settling on Nettle Creek, in Mad River Township. About three years afterward, they removed to Urbana Township, where they resided until about 1849, when they went to West Liberty, Logan Co., Ohio, where the Doctor's father died in 1851. His mother returned to Urbana and resided at his home until her death in 1866. Both were members of the M. E. Church, and died firm adherents of that faith. Dr. Brown grew to manhood during the pioneer days of Champaign Co., receiving such education as the occasional attendance at the primitive subscription schools afforded. After attaining his majority, he, by close application, educated himself and became a teacher, which occupation he followed in Urbana for eight years. During this time he applied himself assiduously to the study of medicine, using all his spare time for that purpose. In 1844 and 1845, he attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, and graduated in the latter year, immediately commencing practice at West Liberty, Logan Co., Ohio. There he continued practicing until 1852, when he removed to Urbana, where he has since been engaged in the study and practice of his chosen profession. He was married in June, 1846, to Marietta B. Skeen, daughter of David Skeen, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to this county in 1840. Mrs. Brown is a native of the Keystone State, and has had four children, only one of whom is living, the wife of A. C. Wilson, a druggist of Piqua, Ohio. Dr. Brown and wife have been members of the M. E. Church since childhood, and have always taken a deep interest in everything that tended to build up public morals and benefit their adopted county. The Doctor belongs the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. Politically, he is a Republican, and a man of strongly molded views in favor of temperance. He has been a member of the American Medical Association since 1848; is a member of the Ohio Medical Association, of which he has been a Vice President, and has belonged to the Champaign Co. Medical Society since 1852, and was its Treasurer for several years. In December, 1875, he was appointed as the U. S. Examining Surgeon for this county, which position he yet holds. He is to-day the oldest regular practicing physician in Urbana, has a good practice, is a pleasant, agreeable gentleman, and is trusted and respected by a large circle of Champaign's leading citizens. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

J. H. BROWN, Agent of the P., C. & St. L. R. R., Urbana; was born December, 1832, in Clark Co., Ohio. His minor days were mostly spent in Indiana, and from 11 to 18 years of age he was on the farm, and enjoyed the usual common-school privileges. At the last age mentioned, he engaged in the erection of the Columbus, Piqua & Indiana Railroad. Notwithstanding the changes on the road, he still holds a good position, which was obtained through his own merits. This official duty he has had charge of for twenty-two years. During the year 1868, he became connected in the boot and shoe trade in this city; though the firm has undergone several changes, he still retains his interest, but has never given personal attention to its sales. The firm is now known as Brown & Wilson, No. 39 Monument Square, where a full line of goods is carried, and handled by ready clerks. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

J. W. BYLER, attorney at law, of the firm of Byler & Richards, Urbana, was born in Smithville, near Wooster, Ohio, Jan. 5, 1856, and is a son of Henry and Rebecca (Kuntz) Byler. Henry is a grandson of Henry Byler, Sr., who was born in Switzerland, came to America early in the eighteenth century and located in what is now Berks Co., Penn., though Henry was born in Lancaster Co., of that State, in 1816. At the age of 11 years, his parents located in Stark Co., Ohio, where he matured; thence located on a farm in Fairfield Co., Ohio. Several years later, engaged as General Agent to the Massillon Machine Co., in which he successfully operated until 1855, when he married ; his wife was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, in 1836. Soon after his marriage, he settled on his farm, previously purchased ; this he cultivated until 1860, since which have been a few changes, and at present he owns 142 acres in Salem Township, Champaign Co., Ohio, which he superintends. Six children have been born to this union— J. W., Mary (deceased), David K., Susan (deceased), Joseph M. and Henry, Jr. Our subject being the eldest, he was mostly raised in Wayne Co., Ohio, where he acquired his primary education. Since the age of 16, he has been in attendance at the Wadsworth College, National Normal, at Lebanon, Ohio, and others. Has devoted three years to the profession of teaching, and, in the meantime, has acquired a fair knowledge of medicine, under the tutorship of Dr. J. H. Ayers, afterward taking up the study of law, under the preceptorship of Warnock & Eichelberger, to which he closely applied himself, and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of the State in March, 1880, and is now located in Urbana, among many old attorneys, to build up a practice. His nuptials were celebrated Jan. 1,1879, with Miss Alice C., daughter of Lemuel and Ann Pence. She was an accomplished young lady, born October, 1860, and died of consumption five months after her marriage. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

JAMES G. CALDWELL, farmer; P. O. Urbana. John Winn, the grandfather of Mr. Caldwell, entered the land known as the"Pretty Prairie,"in 1805, and James still owns the original tract, that to this day never had a mortgage or other incumbrance on it. John Winn was a Virginian by birth, and came to Fleming Co., Ky., in 1796. He came to Kentucky from Virginia in an ox-cart, with no property save one Negro boy and his cattle. He was well educated, and commenced teaching school in the neighborhood. Mrs. Winn's maiden name was Minor, and she had inherited twenty Negroes from her father's estate. John freed all the Negroes when he left Kentucky, and gave his name as security for their good behavior. They had seven children—Jane, Susan, Charles, Douglas, Richard, Martilla and John. He was converted under the ministrations of Rev. John Smith, of the Baptist Church. When the meeting was over, Brother Smith announced that Brother Winn would be baptized next Sabbath, and that he hoped there would be a good attendance."God bless you, Brother Smith,"said John,"life is too uncertain to wait, and I want to be baptized at once." It was accordingly attended to by candlelight. After the conversion of John, he came to the conclusion that all the world was to be saved, and embraced the Universalist faith. Saying that God had done much for him, and he would do something for God at his own expense, he erected the church at Springfield. This will ever be a monument to his memory. John G. Caldwell married Jane Winn about 1810. Their bridal trip was made on horseback from Kentucky to this State, and their first settlement made on the farm of our subject, where they both lived and died. Their children were named John, Charles, Robert, Mary, Martha and Susannah ; only Robert and our subject still survive. His marriage to Miss Emma McBeth was celebrated in 1859. Mrs. Caldwell represents one of the oldest families in the county, her father, James McBeth, being a very prominent man. The children are five in number—Eva, Annie, Fern, John and Joseph Hooker. They also have five children buried in Oakdale Cemetery. James G. Caldwell was born March 22, 1830, when the Presbyterian Church at Urbana was demolished by a storm, and the Methodist Church also sustained much injury. Mrs. Caldwell was born in 1841, and bears her age lightly. Mr. C. proposes to spend his days on the farm rendered doubly dear to him by the first settlement of his grandfather and the birth of his own family. He is a Republican of the stanch order, and has just cause to feel pride in his preferences. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

WILLIAM CARSON, farmer; P. O. Urbana. The parents of our subject, Hugh and Elizabeth Carson, were natives of Lancaster Co., Penn., emigrating to Ross Co., Ohio, in 1810, where they continued to reside during the remainder of their lives. Their children—Eliza, Isabel, William (our subject), John, Annie, Jane, Hugh and Ebenezer, Margaret, Mary and Prudence—were born in that county. Of this number, John, Hugh, Margaret and Prudence are dead. Those living are now scattered over different States, none residing in this county eXcept William. The parents are both dead, the wife and mother dying in 1842, and the father in 1847. He was drafted during the war of 1812, but hired a substitute. William was married to Miss Martha Bradford in 1850, and came to Champaign Co. in 1859, since which time he has engaged in agriculture, and is the owner of an elegant farm near Urbana. He is one of our most enterprising men, and has ever enjoyed the reputation of being a man of correct business habits. As a local politician he is a leader, in his vicinity, of the Republican party, of whose time-honored principles he has always been an earnest advocate. He has been connected with the public schools in his district, and has made an excellent official in that capacity. Mr. and Mrs. Carson are the parents of William J., Robert B., James H. and Annie M. Carson. All have finished their education. Two sons have a great liking for the agricultural business, and will probably follow in the footsteps of their father. Robert is living in Indiana, the others at the elegant home of their parents. Mr. Carson has always been among the foremost in his endeavors to promote the public good, and his record as a man will be a valuable heirloom of which his children may ever feel proud. His farm of 161 acres is as neatly tilled, perhaps, as any in the county. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

Dr. Joseph Carter
Picture submitted by Karen Baker and believed to be Dr. Joseph Carter, Jr.

JOSEPH S. CARTER, JR., M. D., General Manager of the Western Mutual Insurance Company, Urbana; among the prominent families who have long been connected with the history of Urbana is that of Dr. Carter. Dr. Joseph S. Carter, Sr., was a native of Bourbon County, Ky.; he was educated at Lexington, and a graduate of the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania; in the war of 1812, he was appointed Surgeon of a regiment which was recruited and commanded by Gov. Shelby in the vicinity of Urbana; Dr. Carter became so pleased with this region that he resigned his commission, returned to Kentucky, and removed his family to Urbana, where he remained and became a quite noted physician and highly esteemed citizen ; so decided were his talents that, soon after settling here, a committee, in behalf of the citizens of Columbus, visited him for the purpose of inducing him to come to the capital, but he was wedded to his new home and remained; he was an associate and intimate with Profs. Eberly, Drake and Mussey, and, by reason of their estimate of his abilities, was appointed a Trustee of the Ohio Medical College: he was a man of fine character and remarkably generous disposition, enthusiastically devoted to his profession; his students can be found in many different States, and among them are some eminent physicians; he did a large business and made a great amount of money, but, while he always lived well and left a nice property, he was not rich, from the fact that he never prized money and would spend it freely, and often gave away his means with reckless indifference; his son received, after his father's death, $100 from an unknown person, which proved to be a legacy given him by the brother of a competing physician who was unfortunate, and whom Dr. Carter, Sr., had supported and cared for in the early days of Champaign County history.  The wife of Dr. Carter, Sr., was a daughter of M. W. Fisher, who was a prominent pioneer of Springfield; they had eight children, four of whom are now living, of whom the subject of this sketch is one; Dr. J. S. Carter, Jr., was born in Urbana in 1825, and received the benefit of his father's instructions in addition to a scholastic training, graduated from the Ohio Medical College in 1850, and succeeded his father, who died in 1852, and afterward engaged in the drug trade here in connection with his practice; he was Examiner of Pensioners for this county, and had a large and successful practice here until, by reason of ill-health, he retired in 1870, and became the General Manager of the Western Mutual Fire Insurance Company, a history of which is given in connection with that of Urbana; the success of this company is proof of the wisdom and energy of the management; he is a member of the M. E. Church, and a liberal-hearted, public-spirited citizen. He married, in 1858, Miss Mary J. Miner, of La Fayette, Ind.; they have three daughters living,—Henrietta, Pauline and Gertrude; they also had one daughter who died in infancy. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

 


FRANK CHANCE, attorney at law, Urbana; is the eldest son of Thomas and Susan Chance, and was born near Westville, Champaign Co., Ohio, May 17, 1842; received his education in the local schools in his neighborhood, the high schools of Urbana, and Miami University at Oxford, Ohio. In the fall and winter of 1860-61, he studied law under the preceptorship of John H. Young, Esq., of Urbana, Ohio. On the 17th of April, 1861, under the first call of President Lincoln for troops to aid in the suppression of the rebellion, he volunteered as a private in Co. D, 13th O. V. I., and served until his enlisted term had expired ; was mustered out Aug. 22 of the same year; he then resumed the study of law, in which he continued until May 27, 1862, when he again entered the United States army in Co. H, 86th O. V. I. June 10, following, he rose to First Lieutenant of his company, with which he remained throughout its campaign in Western Virginia eXcept a short time; he was then detached from his regiment and assigned to duty as Post Adjutant under the commandant of the military post at Clarksburg, W. Va., and was mustered out of service with his regiment at Camp Delaware Sept. 25,1862. The following fall and winter was spent at the Cincinnati law school and in the office of Tilden & Caldwell; May 4, 1863, at the April term of the District Court of Hamilton County, Ohio, he was admitted to the bar, and, Nov. 3 of the following fall, he was appointed by Gov. David Tod Adjutant of the 4th O. V. I., commanded by Col. J. B. Armstrong; but, on the 23d of the same month, entered the United States naval service as Acting Master's Mate, and was assigned to duty on the United States steamship Gazelle, tender to flagship of Rear Admiral Porter, and was with his vessel on Red River, La., at the time the 4th O. V. I. was called into active service, but was unable to accompany the regiment into the field. He remained with the Gazelle throughout the disastrous Red River campaign, and participated in many of the naval engagements in which the fleet under Admiral Porter was engaged during that expedition. On June 25, 1864, he resigned, and, Oct. 4 of the same year, married Frances S., eldest daughter of John H. and Elizabeth Young, of Urbana, Ohio. Since his marriage he has been actively engaged in the practice of law, and has for a number of years been a partner of his early legal preceptor, John H. Young, and, at the writing of this article, Solicitor of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Company. He was unanimously nominated by the Democratic Congressional Convention of the Eighth Congressional District that met at Urbana, Ohio, Aug. 12, 1880, as its candidate for Congress, and accepted the nomination, though he well knew that he could not hope to overcome the large Republican majority against him in that district. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

J. M. CLARK, proprietor of the American Hotel, Springfield, Ohio, which is one of the homelike houses of the city. The paternal grandfather was a resident of old Virginia at the time of the Revolutionary war, in which he was a patriot, serving through that struggle. After his marriage he settled in Virginia, where be died, leaving two sons, of which John, the father of our subject, was the eldest, and was born about the time of the above-mentioned war, living in his native State until maturity. He came to the Northwest Territory, of which Champaign County was a small part, in 1778, where he married Phebe Minturn, who was born in New Jersey, in 1780, and came with her parents to the territory of Champaign County, at a very early day. John and Phebe soon after marriage settled in the dense forest of the Northwest, where they cleared up a farm and endured many privations and hardships. Frequent visits were paid them by the red men, who have long since disappeared and have been driven to the far West. After a useful life of for over two-score years, he passed away, leaving his wife and eight children. His wife died in 1864. Of the children, three now survive, of whom J. M. is the youngest; he was born April 6, 1823, in Champaign Co., Ohio; was raised to farm life and suffered many of the early-day privations. At the age of 17, he took charge of the home farm, and, while conducting the same, in 1845, married Miss Mary J. Hudson. Three years later, he engaged in teaming, and in 1850, commenced work on the C., S. & C. R. R. One year later, removed to Indiana, but in 1854 returned to Urbana, where he resided until his removal to Springfield, in 1874, where he and one son are proprietors of the American Hotel, on West Main street. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Clark were five in number, of whom four are now living, Mrs. Clark was born in Indianapolis, Ind., Oct. 5, 1826. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

REV. W. M. CLAYBAUGH, minister of the Buck Creek Presbyterian Church ; was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, Jan. 9, 1837, and is a son of the Rev. Joseph Claybaugh, D. D., born in Frederick City, Md., in 1803. His parents soon after settled in Chillicothe, Ohio, where he was educated by the Presbyterian Church; after graduating, he served the congregation for years, at Chillicothe. About 1840, when the Theological Seminary of the Associate Reformed Presbyterians was organized at Oxford, Ohio, he was removed there by Synod and elected its President, very much to the dissatisfaction of the church in which he was laboring and had been educated. He remained in this institution until his death, which occurred Sept. 9, 1855, having served long and faithfully in the ministerial profession. His wife, Margaret (daughter of David Bonner, a patriot of the war of 1812), was born in Chillicothe, Ohio; was partly educated in the seminary at Hamilton, Ohio; she is now residing with her children. She had eleven children, of which Rev. W. M. is the sixth. At the death of his father, he was thrown upon his own resources; leaving Oxford when ready to enter the Junior year. He went to Pittsburgh, Penn., where, for two years, he pursued his studies under the care of the Presbyterian Theological Seminary, and under the instructions of the venerable John T. Pressel, D. D., and David Kerr; thence to Xenia, Ohio, and continued his studies two years longer. In the winter of 1860 (January), was licensed to preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Cincinnati. During that summer, by appointment and special invitation, he visited and preached in Pennsylvania, east of the mountains, Pittsburgh and vicinity, and Iowa City, Iowa. Spending one month at the latter place, was urged to accept a call to become Pastor of the First Church. Having one year to attend the seminary at Xenia, returned and graduated in the spring of 1861. March 12, of the same year, he married Miss Mary E. Herritt, of Xenia, and immediately moved to Iowa City and took charge of the church which waited for him his last collegiate year. The late war breaking out affected the Western churches very much, hence he gave up this charge and preached, by invitation, four months in Rochester, N. Y.; thence was called to Hartford, Conn.; two years later, was called to Boston, Mass.; remained there about three years, when he gave up his charge. He then entered the f formerly United Presbyterian, preaching at Lima, Ohio, one year, and two and one-half years in Van Wert, Ohio, holding calls, but not seeing his way clear to settle until his removal to Champaign Co., Ohio, about Dec. 20, 1871, when a unanimous call was tendered him by the Buck Creek Presbyterian Church, near Urbana, where for the last nine years he has labored faithfully, and is yet their Pastor. He is a wise administrator and true counselor. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]


THOMAS CLEMANS, a venerable and aged citizen of Allen Township and pioneer of the county, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, November 10, 1811. He was the fifth in a family of eleven children born to Isaac and Elizabeth (Carpenter) Clemans, who were natives of New Jersey and Virginia, respectively. He chose for his life work the occupation of a farmer. As early as 1835, he came to this county and settled in the woods of Allen Township, where the deer, wild turkeys and Indians were plenty. He immediately set about clearing a farm, and to do this, naturally devolved upon him a great deal of hard work. His strong constitution and iron will, however, proved equal to the emergency, and these coupled with an indefatigable pluck and energy, enabled him to convert his wilderness home into beautiful and well tilled fields. Unlike most of the early settlers he did not stop at one conquest over the forest, nor two, but for a third time he settled down in the woods and experienced the hardships of the sturdy pioneers. Three of the best farms in Allen Township were placed in a state of cultivation through labor performed by his own hands. He was not only courageous but fearless as well. Nothing will serve better to illustrate his bravery than the following incident, which occurred one day while he was riding on horseback, in the vicinity of his habitation, with some loose horses that belonged to him in his advance. His attention was suddenly attracted by the yell of an Indian, whereupon he faced about and two Indians, armed with guns and tomahawks were seen approaching him some two or three hundred yards distant. They ordered him to wait which he did until they came up. One of them approached a loose horse, adjusted a rope around its neck in a manner indicating that he intended to take possession. An exclamation of "Let loose that horse,"from Mr. Clemans failed to cause the Indian to desist, whereupon the former bounded to the ground, gathered a well seasoned club and, drawing it over the Red-skin's head, repeated the command. The Indian, not yet ready for a journey to those Happy Hunting Grounds, immediately obeyed and, joining his companion, walked peaceably away. On the 18th of January, 1836, Mr. Clemans was united in marriage to Delilah Wildman. She was born in Jefferson County, this State, June 24, 1820, being the daughter of Joseph and Mary (Underwood) Wildman, who were respectively natives of Virginia and Kentucky. For more than half a century Mr. and Mrs. Clemans have stood side by side, administering to each other's wants and sharing, alike, each other's sorrows and pleasures. They are the parents of twelve children—seven sons and five daughters. Their names are James, Mary, Joseph, David, Samuel, John, Elizabeth, Eliza J., Thomas A., Catharine, Silas and Maggie, of whom James, Joseph, Samuel and Eliza J. are deceased. Our subject and his wife are members of the M. E. Church. In politics the former is a Republican. They have a comfortable home where they are spending the decline of life in a quiet, happy way. They are among the worthy and honored citizens of the township. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago. Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]


WINFIELD S. COLLINS, attorney; civil engineer; county and prosecuting attorney Big Horn county; (Rep.); b. March 30, 1848, Mechanicsburg, Ohio; s. of Horace W. and Juliette (Sattley) Collins; educ. pub. schls. Johnson county, Iowa; grad (C. E.) Iowa State Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, 1876; taught winter schools while going to college and studied law; studies law, Springfield, Ills., 1877, and taught school same time; admitted to practice, June, 1879; practiced in Springfield, Ills., 1880-2; res. in Nebraska, 1882-5; located at Fort Fetterman, nr. Douglas, Wyoming, fall of 1885; one of the first settlers and the first law practitioner in Douglas, 1886-7; removed to what is now Big Horn county, Wyoming, 1887; first one to drill for oil in Big Horn county, at Bonanza, 1888; engaged in surveying and civil engineering, 1888-92; too filings on lands for settlers, surveyed their ditches, secured permits for water, and took final proofs until 1896; surveyed townsite of Basin, 1896, under U.S. Townsite laws, and secured the county seat of Big Horn county; organized Big Horn County Bank, 1898; director same bank, 1898-1902; 1903 began organization of The Big Horn Canal Co.; financed and became manager and president same, 1905-8; located Big Horn Fuel Co. fields, 1908; has practiced law in Basin since; county surveyor, Brown county, Nebraska, 1882-5; appt. U.S. Commissioner, (only one in Big Horn Basin) 1892-8; county and prosecuting attorney, Big Horn county, 1899-1903 and appointed to same office, 1913-15; elected same office, 1915-17; first mayor of town of Basin; mem. I. O. O. F.; Elks; M. W. of A.; Eagles.  Address:  Basin, Wyoming.  [Source: Men of Wyoming, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Denise Moreau]
 

ROBERT R. COLWELL, Urbana; retired merchant; is another native and old resident of Urbana. He is a son of Peter R. Col well, who came from New Jersey in the fall of 1815, and settled in Urbana, where he remained until his decease, in 1847. He was a chair-maker by trade, and carried on that business in a small way during his residence here, and was known as a man of sterling integrity. Robert's mother was Lavina, daughter of Nathan Fitch. She came with her parents to this county from Kentucky, in 1806, she then being but 6 years of age. She survived her husband, and died in 1866. The subject of this sketch was born in Urbana in 1819. He remembers seeing the Indians coming to Urbana in squads on trading expeditions. He attended the subscription school in his youth, and early learned the chairmaker's trade, and with his father had a little chair and furniture establishment, which gradually increased. In 1855,he purchased an interest in the flouring-mill, and this, with the lumber trade in connection, gradually increased from about 1860 to 1878, when he sold out and retired from active business. Thus, from an unpretending mechanic, he succeeded to the proprietorship of one of the most extensive, successful private enterprises ever established in Urbana. His residence is a pleasant property on the southwest corner of High and Court streets. He married, in 1867, Mrs. Mary Ann Stansbury, widow of Alfred Stansbury, deceased, and daughter of Emor Kimber. They have one child— Annie Laura. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

CALVIN F. COLWELL, Urbana; lumber dealer. Mr. Colwell is a native of Urbana, and a life resident. He was born in 1831, and is a son of Peter R. and Lavina (Fitch) Colwell. He was a native of New Jersey, and came to Urbana in 1815. She came from Kentucky with her parents about 1806. Mr. Fitch was at one time proprietor of the hotel here. The subject of this sketch became connected with the establishment of which he is now one of the proprietors, as a workman, in 1854; in 1862 he became a partner, and has since continued in that relation. Since the decease of Mr. Stayman, Mr. Colwell has been the senior member of the firm of Colwell & O'Neal; he is master of all the details of the business, and his long experience enables him to understand the wants of the people, and the business of the firm has assumed large proportions. Mr. Colwell is a member of the M. E. Church, and a highly respected citizen. He married, in 1855, Malinda M., daughter of Joseph McComsey; they have one daughter living—Max. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

JOHN COONEY, farmer; P. O. Urbana. Mr. Cooney has been a resident of this county for the past twenty-eight years, being formerly a resident of Ireland, in which country he was reared an agriculturist. His mother, Mary Cooney, came with her two children—our subject and his sister Hannah—determined to make a living in America, where all had equal rights, and the poor man could rise in the world, provided he had the energy. They settled in Urbana, and John went to work on the railroad; he followed this business a year, and in 1858 he commenced farming for himself, baring saved money enough to buy his team. He was wedded to Miss Margaret Lyons, in 1857,and life commenced in earnest; the young couple having nothing but strong arms and willing hearts. Their prosperity seemed assured from the commencement, and day by day their stock increased, until his first purchase of land was made in 1861, in Mad River Township; this was sold in 1868, and he rented for a few years, all the time accumulating money, until he purchased the fine farm of 83? acres, upon which he now resides. This is one of the most elegant locations on the Hickory Grove pike, and well bespeaks the adaptation of Mr. Cooney to caring for a farm, and making it profitable. He is well liked by his neighbors, and through all his business life he has kept a record equaled by few for correct business habits. Their children are named Mary, Julia A., Patrick H Annie, Maggie, John and James F. William died in childhood. They live in a country where their education can be completed, and there is no doubt but they will do honor to their parents, who have ever been ranked among the worthy citizens of the county. There are five children now in different States that came from Ireland previous to the time Mrs. Cooney emigrated. All these are energetic people and are doing well. All are married and have families except one. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

MOSES BLEDSO CORWIN
(1790 - 1872)
CORWIN, Moses Bledso, (brother of Thomas Corwin and uncle of Franklin Corwin), a Representative from Ohio; born in Bourbon County, Ky., January 5, 1790; spent the early part of his life on a farm; attended the rural schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1812 and commenced practice in Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio; member of the State house of representatives in 1838 and 1839; elected as a Whig to the Thirty-first Congress (March 4, 1849-March 3, 1851); again elected to the Thirty-third Congress (March 4, 1853-March 3, 1855); engaged in the practice of law until his death in Urbana, Ohio, April 7, 1872; interment in Oak Dale Cemetery. (Contributed for use on Genealogy Trails by Sara Hemp)

THOMAS DENTON CROW, attorney at law, Urbana. Thomas Denton Crow was born in Harrison Township, Champaign Co., Oct. 21, 1821. His father, Joseph Crow, was born in Virginia Oct. 1, 1790, and came of German stock. His mother, Martha (Hull) Crow, was born Jan. 4,1796, and was of New England descent. They were married April 9, 1813, and immediately took up their residence on a quarter-section of land on the head-waters of Glady's Creek, which Joseph had purchased of his father, Thomas Crow, March 29, 1811. Joseph was a man of more than ordinary education and intelligence, and was a Methodist "Class-leader and exhorter." He died in February, 1825, leaving to the care of his widow one daughter and four sons. Being thus left on a new farm, she was induced to marry, in 1826, Joseph Longfellow, an old settler of Concord Township, and by this marriage became the mother of six Sods, fire of whom are still living. She was truly a pioneer woman, and, after a life of toil and exemplary piety, died Aug. 2, 1864. Her second marriage did not result as she had hoped with reference to her first husband's children. One son was sent away at once, and two others soon afterward. Thomas D. became a bound boy on the old Thomas Hines farm when 8 years of age. After five years of hardship, during which the school privilege stipulated was not allowed him, he was released, and ever afterward was his own master, and was self-sustaining henceforth, his share in his father's estate having been mostly taken by his step-father. He immediately began to plan and look forward to an education. At 14, he began working in Urbana at tailoring, and followed that trade several years. At 18, he taught his first school, and at 19 entered the Ohio Conference High School at Springfield. By teaching during vacation, serving as janitor and performing other services during the odd hours of his school days, with the practice of the most rigid economy, living on brown bread and water a good portion of the time, he succeeded after four years and a half, in passing through the preparatory examination, and, although somewhat in debt, entered Augusta College, where he graduated in 1846, out of debt, and having $400 due him from his alma mater for salary as Principal of the Preparatory Department. At one time in college, he taught from six to ten classes, carried on four to five studies and did duty in a literary society, besides being Superintendent of a Sabbath school in the town and doing- other official church service. On his return to Urbana, the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church being in session at Piqua, he was received as a member, and subsequently filled important charges. He was a member of the Faculty of the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, two years. Owing to domestic difficulties, in 1860, he turned his attention to law. He graduated at the Cincinnati Law School in April, 1861. He then entered into a partnership with a brother-in-law at Monticello, Ind., and practiced there a little more than two years, meanwhile was active in raising troops for the Union army, and, but for his three motherless little children, would have himself enlisted. In 1864, he returned to Urbana and opened a law office. From 1865 to 1866, he had charge of the public schools of Urbana, and was County School Examiner several years. He was Chief Clerk and Acting State Commissioner of Schools from 1869 to 1872, during which time he resided in Columbus. In the summer of 1872, he resumed law practice in Urbana, and has since resided here, and, by his taste, means and labor, has done much to improve his native county, especially its chief town. He married first, in 1847, Miss Henrietta Downs. Her parents, William and Elizabeth Downs, were Quakers of Scotch descent, and early settlers of Urbana. Of this marriage there were born four sons and a daughter. Two sons and the daughter are yet living, the latter being the wife of a prominent attorney of Cleveland. The two sons are both practicing law in Urbana. His wife died in Cincinnati in 1858. The next year, he contracted what proved to be an unfortunate marriage, from which he was compelled to seek divorce, the only good as yet apparent coming of this union being a daughter, now a teacher in the schools of Cincinnati. After six years of single life, he married, May 7, 1868, Mrs. Eliza M. Crabill, of Clark Co. She was a daughter of Seaton Hedges, who came from Virginia and settled in Champaign Co. in 1817. Her mother was a daughter of Robert Miller, who came from Kentucky and settled at Moorefield, Clark Co., in 1810. Mr. Crow has been a Republican from the organization of the party, with strong convictions favoring prohibition. His life has been one of peculiar toil and misfortune, but he has always bravely made his way against all obstacles, and, by his native talent and perseverance and indomitable will, has compelled success, secured a varied and correct scholarship, and established a character above reproach. He now holds the office of U. S. Commissioner for the Southern District of Ohio, and enjoys a lucrative practice in his profession. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

HERMAN D. CROW, lawyer, Urbana; was torn in Delaware Co., Ohio, April 15, 1851. When about 10 years of age, he came to Urbana, lived with some relatives, and here received his primary education. In September, 1868, he entered the Sophomore Class at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, from which institution he graduated in June, 1871. In the meantime he devoted two winters to teaching in Champaign Co. In the fall of 1871, he was chosen as Principal of the schools of Plain City, Madison Co., Ohio. The following spring he commenced the reading of law under T. D. Crow and Gen. J. H. Young; was admitted to the bar in December, 1873, at Columbus. In the summer of 1874, ill health necessitated him to seek another climate, going to Texas, where he partially recovered, and in the fall of 1874 was elected as instructor of Latin and Higher Mathematics in the Sherman Institute, in Sherman, Texas, where he continued until the close of the year. He returned home in June, 1875, since which time he has devoted his attention to his profession in Urbana. In the spring of 1876, he was elected City Solicitor, and is now on the third successive term. Since Jan. 1, 1879, he has been associated with his brother Horace M., who is also a practical attorney. They are now located on South Main street, and are doing a reasonable business. H. D. was married Oct. 24, 1877, to Miss Florence Mendenhall, of Delaware, Ohio, a graduate of that college. The issue of this union is one son, Denton M. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

GEORGE H. CUNNINGHAM, retired farmer; P. O. Urbana. For nearly a half-century Mr. Cunningham has been one of the active business men of our county, and has, in that time, from a nucleus of a few dollars, amassed a competency sufficient to carry him the remainder of his life at high tide. He still resides on his farm five miles southeast of Urbana, which gives evidence of superior cultivation and cannot fail of bringing large returns. He came to this county in 1833, being born and reared in Berkeley Co., Va., and, at the age of 22, was married to Miss Angeline Hedges, of that State. They settled first where Samuel Robinson now lives, at the head of "Pretty Prairie." Here James W., Sarah J. and Mary E. were born, and the first experience in married life of the young couple commenced. In 1844, this farm was sold to James D. Hedges, and he purchased the southwest quarter of Sec. 18. Martha A., Samuel N. and Charity A. were born on this farm. Mrs. Cunningham died in 1852, since which time Mr. C.'s daughters have been his housekeepers until the marriage of his youngest daughter, Nancy, now the wife of William H. Wohlater. Only two of the children are now living, Mrs. Wohlater and Mrs. Mary E. Swimley, both the wives of prosperous men. There were only a few houses with shingle roofs when Mr. Cunningham first came to Ohio, and many of the handsome fields of to-day were then covered with heavy timber. His father, Samuel Cunningham, was a soldier in the war of 1812. His death occurred in Berkeley Co., Va., in 1824, and his wife, Charity Shields, died in 1836, They were parents of five sons and two daughters, of whom Jane, Samuel S. and our subject survive. Mr. Cunningham has lived a long and useful life, beloved by his neighbors and trusted in every particular. He was born in 1811, Aug. 5. He now lives at his ease, in his pleasant home, having no thought of care, being near his children and owner of 662 acres of land, the equal of any in the county. He is a gentleman in every sense, and enjoys the highest reputation for honor and fair dealing in a business capacity. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

W. M. DE VOE, portrait painter and photographer, Urbana; born in 1846 in Greene Co., Ohio; is a son of Joseph De Voe, who was born and raised in Virginia; emigrated to Ohio about 1817, locating in Greene County, where he married for his second wife Judith Faulkner, a native of that county; they principally resided in Clinton County, where Joseph died in 1864; he was the father of eight children, of whom W. M. is the seventh; he was mostly raised in Clinton Co., Ohio; there received his primary education; after taking a course at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, he taught a few years, then devoted several years to the art of penmanship; in this he was engaged until 1869, when he took up the study of artistry, to which he applied himself closely, and became a fine portrait painter: in 1878, combined it with photography, and now is doing a fine business; is located at No. 18 Monument Square, and carries all articles kept in an establishment of its kind. His marriage was celebrated in 1869 with Miss Mary Buchanan, a native of Miami Co., Ohio, where she was raised and educated; she is an accomplished lady and artist, applying her skill in the gallery with her husband. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

WILLIAM DUNLAP, retired farmer; P. O. Urbana; is one of the prominent men of Urbana Township; his reputation among business men is too well known to need comment, and his reputation has ever been that of an honest and upright man. both at home and abroad; he has retired from the active life necessitated by farm work, and now lives at his ease, his son managing the farm- which is artistically divided into fields that bear abundant crops; we presume there is no more genial host in the country than our subject; neighbor and stranger are alike welcome beneath his roof; his children are married and living near him, and now represent the oldest families in the land; he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Skiles in November, 1840; they were both natives of Pennsylvania, and for sixteen years after their marriage lived on a farm in that State; the children were all born in Pennsylvania but the youngest—Rebecca E., Margaretta W., John S., William E., Joseph M., Mary C. and Nancy E.; two children. Jane I. and Thomas M., are deceased. In the spring of 1856, Mr. Dunlap came with his family to this neighborhood, where a purchase had been previously made; this was at that time a poorly improved farm, but, under his skillful supervision, it to-day presents an equally attractive appearance with any of the farms in the neighborhood. We cannot close this sketch without referring to the long Christian life of Mr. Dunlap and his wife; both have been devout members of the United Presbyterian Church for thirty-seven years, and, as they journey down the hillside of life hand in hand, loving, cheering and trusting; each other, they still rejoice in the hope that "passeth all understanding." Their record is such as their children may well feel proud of, and which will no doubt be emulated by them. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

GEORGE M. EICHELBERGER, attorney at law, Urbana; is a native of Montgomery County; born Dec. 16,1843; his parents removed to Miami County when he was a youth; he received a rudimentary education at the local schools, and subsequently attended the high school at Piqua, and also at Cincinnati, and was in attendance at the University at Delaware; he enlisted for three months in the 86th O.V.I.; after the expiration of this service, he returned to his studies at Delaware, and, in May, 1864, having passed the necessary examinations to enable him to receive his diploma, his patriotism could no longer be restrained, and he enlisted and became a member of the 147th O.N.G.; he entered the college as Freshman, and was behind in Greek, but, in four years, completed a five years' course, notwithstanding his absence in the army; in January, 1867, he received the Master of Arts decree; at the expiration of his latter term of service, his parents having removed to Urbana, he came here and completed his law studies which had been begun while in the University; he was admitted to the bar in 1866, and immediately began the practice of his profession in partnership with William R. Warnock. Mr. Eichelberger is an active Republican, and somewhat prominent in politics; he was elected Prosecutor in 1871, and prominently talked of as a candidate from this district for Congressman in the present campaign, but refused to allow his friends to present his name to the convention. He married, in 1872, Miss Emma, daughter of Dr. Hamilton Ring, and they have four children. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

GRIFFITH ELLIS, County Treasurer, Urbana. Mr. Ellis is a native of Wales where he was born in 1830. When 1 year old, he came to America with his grandmother and an uncle. He came to Urbana when 16 years of age, and passed from store-boy to salesman, and in 1854 became a partner in the firm of Gwynnes, Ellis & Co., then operating a general merchandise store. Mr. Ellis had charge of the clothing department, and continued that line of business until August, 1878. He married, in 1857, Jane H., daughter of Robert M. Woods, and sister of the wife of J. W. Ogden. They have six children. Mr. Ellis has been an active business man and somewhat prominent in public affairs. He was Director of the State Prison from 1876 to 1878, and was employed in the United States Treasury Department during six months of the past year. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and also the I. O. O. F. Mr. Ellis, by years of busy life, has established a deserved reputation, and is now the Treasurer-elect of Champaign County. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

ROBERT ELLIS, merchant tailor, Urbana; is a native of Wales, where he was born in 1840. When 10 years of age, he came with his parents to America, locating in Pennsylvania. After his father's death, which occurred in 1858, Robert came to Urbana, and went to work with the firm of which his brother, Griffith, was a partner, where he continued until the formation of the present firm of Ellis, Weaver & Allison. Mr. Ellis has the experience of years of practical application to his business, and is a thorough business man, a worthy citizen and a member of the Masonic and I. O. O. F. orders, being Secretary of the latter and Scribe of the Encampment. He married, in 1866, Sarah E. Weakley, of New Carlisle, Clark Co., Ohio. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

I. FISLER, of the firm of Fisler & Chance, Urbana, druggists. Among the leading druggists of Urbana, we mention the firm of Fisler & Chance, who are located at No. 15 North Main street, where they carry a full line of drugs and druggists' sundries. They have been associated since 1867, and have been favorably known. The subject of this memoir was born in 1820, at Chester, Penn.; when but a boy, he attended school in Philadelphia; thence took up the study of medicine under Dr. George, the father of Gen. McClellan, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1846; came directly West, and located in Champaign Co., Ohio, in what is known as the "Mingo Valley." He was engaged in the practice of his profession until the breaking-out of the late war, when he became Examining Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment of the Fourth District of Ohio. Soon after the war, he engaged in his present pursuit with Dr. J. H. Ayers, who has since sold to Dr. Chance. Dr. Fisler married, in 1848, Miss Margaret Read, a native of Champaign Co., Ohio, born in 1825. Their children are Laura, wife of John O'Connor; Leah and Annie. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

JOHN M. FITZPATRICK, Auditor. The present efficient and popular Auditor of Champaign Co. comes of pure Celtic stock, his ancestors having come from Ireland, and settled in the State of Virginia, where were born his great-grandfather and grandfather, Daniel and John Fitzpatrick, the latter marrying Phoebe Largeant, of that State. In 1808, they came to this county, and lived for a short time in Urban a Township, and in 1819, John entered 160 acres of land in Jackson Township, where all remained until death; they were members of the M. E. Church, and were among the organizers of what is now known as Grafton Chapel, the first Methodist Church in that neighborhood, having been erected on John Fitzpatrick's farm. This old pioneer, who has long years ago been laid beneath the sod, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and helped to defeat that unrelenting foe of liberty who for centuries has kept the land of his ancestors in a slavery as cruel and degrading as the serfdom of Russia. To John and Phoebe Fitzpatrick were born seven children; John, the father of the Auditor, being the youngest in the family; he was born in Champaign Co., and here married to Jane Allison, a native of the county, and daughter of John and Sarah (Wood) Allison, he a native of Pennsylvania, and his wife of Virginia, who were married in the latter State, and came to this county in 1816, settling in Mad River Township. To John and Jane Fitzpatrick three children were born; the subject of this sketch being the eldest, his birth occurring in Champaign County, May 22, 1843; his father died in 1849, a faithful member of the M. E. Church, and his mother is still residing in the county, and belongs to the same denomination. John M. grew up on a farm, receiving a good common-school education, and taught school one term before his 18th year. In the summer of 1861, he was attending the normal school at Urbana, and in the month of August, while prosecuting his peaceful studies, young Fitzpatrick patriotically responded to the call of President Lincoln for volunteers, enlisting in Co. A, 2d O.V.I. for the three years' service; he took part in the battles of Perryville and Stone River,as well as every skirmish, march, etc., of his regiment, up to and including the fatal Chickamauga; at the latter battle he lost his left arm, which was shattered by a fragment of a shell; in January, 1864, having recovered from his wounds, he returned to Urbana, where he attended school for a short period, then went to Nashville, Term., and entered the Quartermaster's department as clerk, under Capt. S. C. Brown, remaining in that capacity until May, 1866, when he again came home. In the winter of 1867-68, he was Assistant Revenue Assessor for Champaign Co., and in October of the latter year was elected on the Republican ticket Auditor of Champaign Co., and has been re-elected five times consecutively, which position he now occupies. He was married in this county, Jan. 2. 1865, to Miss Sarah C. Grafton, daughter of Thomas J. and Margaret Grafton, natives of Virginia, who were early settlers of Jackson Township; the former is dead, but his widow still resides on the old homestead. Mrs. Fitzpatrick was born in this county, and has the following children : Grafton B., Edgar and Eva. Both she and husband adhere to the M. E. Church, and he is a member of the I.O.O.F. Mr. Fitzpatrick is one of the enterprising representative young men of Champaign Co., honest and upright; he possesses the confidence of all classes, and in his official capacity is one of the most obliging and competent Auditors the county has ever possessed. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

WILLIAM FRANK, farmer; P. O. Bowlesville. We are glad to see a representative of this name in the history, and the pioneers of this county will remember the names of Martin and Sally Frank. They were among the early settlers of Mad River Township, and he entered a tract of land in 1813. They were both natives of Virginia, and were married in that State about 1808. One child was born in Virginia (Harvey), who was well known in this county, but died in 1861. The other children, David, William, Jonathan, Sarah, Catharine and Martin, were all born in Mad River Township. Martin was one of the most enterprising men, and brought all his children up to work, and they are, without exception, worthy of their name. He built a log cabin and went to work clearing up the land, and his efforts were eminently successful, for he prospered greatly, and during his lifetime built a large brick residence, which was afterward remodeled by our subject, and is still an ornament to the township. He was drafted during the War of 1812, going through without receiving a wound. His wife died in 1848, and his second marriage was celebrated, in 1851, with Mrs. Nancy Maggard. His death occurred June 19, 1866. He left a name for honor and uprightness that will ever be a credit to hip children. William was married in 1846, and was the father of five children, of whom William, M. and Sarah E. Frank are living. Monroe is an enterprising business man, and is engaged in the sale of machinery. Mr. Frank looks after the farm, and is endowed with the characteristics of his father in regard to business matters. He owns a splendid farm of 166 acres, and is a popular man in Urbana Township. [Source: "History of Champaign Co., Ohio"; (Urbana Township) by John W. Ogden, W. H. Beers & Co., 1881) Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz]

THOMAS FRENCH, Jr., Professor of Physics and Mathematics in Urbana University; was born Jan. 15, 1848, in Clifton, Hamilton Co., Ohio, and acquired his early education in the schools of Avondale and Cincinnati. He went thence to Harvard College, where he graduated in 1872. After graduation, he set sail at once for Europe, where he devoted the greater part of four years to the pursuit of physical science and mathematics. In the Spring of 1876, he received the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Arts from the University of Heidelberg. In the Fall of the same year, he returned to America, and accepted a position as Instructor in Physics in the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, and two years later came to Urbana, Ohio, where he has since been assiduously occupied in the class-room and on the platform as a lecturer on popular science. During the winter and spring of 1879-80, Prof. French delivered a series of experimental lectures on sound, in Urbana and Cincinnati. The papers of both cities contained flattering accounts of these lectures, which were illustrated by a great variety of experiments. It is worthy of note that the apparatus used for this purpose had just been purchased from the best makers in Europe and America, at a cost of $650. The entire proceeds of the lectures were donated to this object, the balance being raised by contributions from friends of Prof. French and from the University to which he belongs. The Professor is an easy and fluent speaker, of genteel and courteous address, and is highly esteemed by all who know him.

JAMES W. FULTON, retired farmer; P. O. Urbana. Men who have lived thirty-eight years in a county surely may be classed among the pioneers, and especially when their record for good citizenship is excelled by none. Such a man is Mr. Fulton, who was born in Virginia, and before he reached manhood came to this county. His parents, David P. and Jane Fulton, came in the fall of 1842 and purchased the farm now owned by our subject. It was tolerably well improved at that time, although the large buildings that now add so much to its beauty were afterward added by David. Eight children came with them to Ohio—James W., Robert C., David C., Charles E., Sarah M., Jennie E., Joseph and Henry P. Charles, David and Henry are not living. Robert is now engaged in the practice of law in Columbus. Charles and Henry were both admitted to the bar prior to their death. The father, David Fulton, died in 1865, his widow making her home among her children. She has now reached the ripe old age of 76 years, and still enjoys fair health, with an unimpaired mind. James was born in 1822, and, in 1849, was married to Miss Annie Flick, of Clark Co. Her parents, Jacob and Catharine Flick, have been residents of that county for more than half a century, and their family sketch will be found in the history of Clark Co. James and his wife are the parents of three children. Two only are living—Catharine J. and Mary N. Catharine is the wife of Charles Laycock, and Mary wedded M. G. McWilliams. Mr. Laycock resides near his father-in-law, and takes charge of the farm, and Mr. McWilliams also lives near. Mr. Fulton takes life easy, having plenty to keep himself and wife, and lives in a style characteristic of his purse. He has always enjoyed a good reputation among his neighbors, and has been ever ready to assist in promoting the interests of society. We are pleased to give him a place among the many splendid men of his township who are so well represented in the history, and whose memory can thus be perpetuated while time shall last. Fanny E. Fulton was born March 17, 1853, and was a cultured lady, enjoying in society a high position, beloved by her classmates, and possessed of those characteristics that win friends everywhere. She died in her 17th year, leaving behind a wealth of love and affection.



HOME




Copyright © Genealogy Trails